PDA

View Full Version : Dying Light

Yevrah
19-10-2015, 11:27 PM
Remembering that DS rated this very highly, I also picked this up in my mini-splurge today.

Anyone else got it?

Intro's pretty facking sweet.

CJay
19-10-2015, 11:42 PM
It's a great game, with a terrible storyline. I never even actually finished it, but I watched my brother do the last couple of missions and it was a really poor effort I thought.

The location, gameplay, crafting, fear factor, and everything else about the game is excellent. I've never been so scared while gaming than during the first night mission.

CJay
19-10-2015, 11:46 PM
My thoughts from old General Discussion thread:

Dying Light is so good. It's similar to Skyrim in terms of distracting me from what I'm meant to be doing.

"Let's clear this area so I can loot that police van." - the fear of realtime lockpicking is a fantastic idea. Makes clearing an area an actual objective.
"Oh look, there's a safe house to unlock."
"And now there's a side mission, seems interesting"
*Ends up on other side of the map with an awesome new weapon*

I've learnt to deal with Virals fairly handily now. Grapple + leg breaker slide does the job. The toads can do one, though.

Oh and the woman from the GRE. Can't stand listening to her.

Yevrah
19-10-2015, 11:51 PM
The setting, or at least what I've seen so far is absolutely immense.

The feeling when you land in the city or when you first look out of the window at it. :drool:

CJay
20-10-2015, 12:11 AM
My tip is the: the game is huge - explore everywhere and do side-quests. I don't want to spoil too much, but you aren't confined to this part of the city forever, so don't feel like you need to do everything before you move on.

Ian
20-10-2015, 06:24 AM
This is definitely on my to-buy list. Once I'm home with five days to spare before going back to work I'll probably look to buy something new and this may be it. If I don't just get Hearts of Stone, anyway.

Boydy
25-11-2015, 12:18 AM
Got this a little while ago and was playing it earlier. Was out at night for the first time.

Holy shit what are those things that came after me. How the fuck do I deal with them?

CJay
25-11-2015, 12:36 AM
Run! :D

Seriously though, make and drink some speed boosters for night runs. You can drop a flare which will give you enough time to down one and leg it. I was properly bricking it during that first night mission.

Boydy
25-11-2015, 12:39 AM
Can you lose them or do you just have to run all the way to a safe zone?

I don't think I have any speed boosters yet. Or the stuff to make them.

CJay
25-11-2015, 12:44 AM
It's possibly a skill you can learn? I can't fully recall off the top of my head. You probably won't be able to lose them without a speed booster, seeing as they're just as fast as you and can climb everything.

You can make them stop and flinch by shining your UV light at them, btw.

Boydy
25-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Died quite a few times trying to get away from them. Kept respawning in a safe area right beside that air deop then finally managed to sneak back to the tower from there.

Terrifying though. Not going out at night again unless I have to. Also spending my time unlocking a load of safe areas now.

Ian
25-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Want this game a lot.

Christmas sale coming up....

Pleb
25-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Night time is a bitch.

You will love it Ian. Get it.

Boydy
25-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Want this game a lot.

Christmas sale coming up....

It's on sale right now! (http://store.steampowered.com/app/239140/)

Although it was still cheaper on cdkeys where I bought it and where I linked you to before.

Ian
25-11-2015, 10:02 PM
I'd forgotten you'd linked me to that.

I can't help but feel suspicious about the Steam key sellers. :(

Boydy
25-11-2015, 10:50 PM
They're fine. I've bought a few games off them now (including this) and there have been no problems. There are plenty of others I wouldn't trust but I googled for reviews of them before first buying anything off them and everyone seemed to say they were great.

Ian
26-11-2015, 12:10 AM
My issue isn't that I don't think they'll produce the goods, I just wonder how they're actually getting them because I'm a massive twat.

Do they just buy them at cheapo third world rates and then bust the agreement by flogging them to anybody who'll buy?

CJay
20-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Don't know if anyone's interested, but there's a fairly big DLC coming for this called The Following. The new map is more countryside-ish and apparently the same size as Haran itself, which sounds very promising. Vehicles are a new addition. :drool: I never actually finished the last few missions of the main game, but will probably be getting this when it comes out.

February 9th.