PDA

View Full Version : Hades

Yevrah
14-08-2021, 10:19 AM
Finally on Xbox and on GamePass.

Will play this when I get bored of dying in Dark Souls. Anyone else on it?

Spikey M
14-08-2021, 10:31 AM
I've no idea what this is, but I'll be checking in regularly for an opportunity to make a "hades have gone" joke.

Pepe
14-08-2021, 12:11 PM
I posted about it not so long ago. It's really good.

Ian
14-08-2021, 12:53 PM
This is on Game Pass too? For fuck's sake.

This and Humankind coming on Tuesday.

Vercetti
14-08-2021, 09:00 PM
Downloaded this, but not started it.

Doesn't strike me as something I'll like, but I'll give it a blast as it's on Gamepass.

hfswjyr
15-08-2021, 05:33 AM
It's fantastic. Simple, yet lots of depth as well. And very polished.

Vercetti
20-08-2021, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I'm terrible at this, but it does draw you back in for a quick burst.

It's quick for me, because I die. A lot. I think I've made it past the first boss once.

hfswjyr
21-08-2021, 11:14 PM
As you keep playing, you unlock story and upgrades which makes the fights a bit easier, which then helps you with progression through the rest of the game.

Ian
27-09-2021, 08:16 AM
It's good that I keep getting enough Nectar, diamonds, etc. to progress other stuff because now while I can get past Theseus fairly often (I've cleared all the bosses on heat level one with each weapon now) but I'm sadly not turning it into more escapes which is a shame. Another couple of nearlies and I had a build yesterday that would probably have worked because I could just constantly chill him from distance (the Duo boon to make Demeter's crystal beams faster is really solid) but I struggled to stay out of his reach. Not sure the Blitz Disc is a great fit for the Hades fight until I get into a better rhythm fighting him.

Ian
27-09-2021, 07:58 PM
Are you only able to go up a heat level once you've escaped at the current heat level you're rolling with?

hfswjyr
28-09-2021, 11:16 AM
Yes, I believe so. For each weapon.

Ian
28-09-2021, 11:25 AM
Yeah that's what I guessed. To be fair I'm somewhat chasing prophecies at the moment rather than selecting boons which will make a nice build so maybe I should set aside a few runs specifically to actually try and do the best build I can I'll have more luck.

To be honest it's diamonds I need more than anything else right now resource-wise so unlocking another heat level will get me more of those so that's probably what I should focus on as diamond availability in the Temple of Styx is obviously a little randomised.

hfswjyr
28-09-2021, 11:41 AM
I don't think I've ever been able to afford a diamond at the Temple of Styx!

I'm also chasing prophecies, and still unlocking more story as I go. All the characters have such great unique personalities.

Ian
28-09-2021, 01:39 PM
I just try and not spend any more before the Temple so if there's a diamond or a titan's blood there that I want I've got a chance of getting it. Or if I'm gonna fall short anyway you get the boons / poms of better power.

Does sometimes leave me a bit boned, though, if I don't find Patroclus to restore any death defiances I might've lost.

Ian
29-09-2021, 06:35 AM
Nearly my second escape again. :moop: Even had 5 DDs thanks to a Chaos boon and Skelly's tooth but unfortunately I didn't actually have all of those when I got to Hades himself. Got a bit sloppy against Theseus and the loadout I had was good (Adamant Rail with a decent selection of Daedalus mods and boons) but there were a couple of rooms in Styx where the close quarters fighting weren't suited for my loadout at all. Annoying as if I'd had even one more DD against Hades I reckon I'd have had him.

Sir Andy Mahowry
30-09-2021, 04:08 PM
I caved.

It's currently downloading on my PS5.

Sir Andy Mahowry
30-09-2021, 05:24 PM
Was doing quite well (I think) with the bow in my third run and I died on a spike trap :moop:

Hadn't used any life until I got to two boss/mini-boss bomb guys who I barely beat and just as I was doing my second room after them I dashed in the wrong place.

Edit: Got to the first boss on the next run and Meg slapped me. Surprised as my load out didn't feel as good as spike death run.

Ian
30-09-2021, 07:35 PM
You're arguably at the point where I was having my most fun with it in terms.of the game itself. Still enjoying it and loving unpicking the story and trying to get better in the Hades fight but that bit where you're making consistent progress's in each run is very satisfying.

Sir Andy Mahowry
30-09-2021, 07:57 PM
And that's exactly what I did with my next run.

Beat Meg (just) and then got all the way to Hydra. I thought that, despite being low on health, I had him but when I got him down to about half HP I just kept running into trouble with the extra heads.

Haven't tried the shield yet but the spear is my early favourite. I managed to get further with it than any other weapon and I feel it suits my style.

I don't use cast enough though.

hfswjyr
01-10-2021, 12:15 AM
I only finally unlocked the game-credits scene last week. It was magical.

Vercetti
02-10-2021, 09:36 PM
Just made it to Theseus and the Minotaur for the first time.

Got mullered, but I'd ran out of Death Defiance by then, and was rocking up with about 63 health, so I never held out much hope for myself.

Sir Andy Mahowry
02-10-2021, 10:33 PM
Just two runs today as I was busy.

The first I lost to Meg, I was using the shield for the first time and struggled with it as it's really not my play style and I just fucked up.

Second, I beat Meg but I used up the two Death Defiance's I had and in Asphodel I ran into the witches for the first time with lowish health and they battered me. Didn't help that they seemed to constantly be near or on the lava so every time I tried to dash them (I had level 2 dash drunk) I'd get hurt.

Ian
02-10-2021, 10:34 PM
Just got my second escape. :cool:

With the Spear this time. Had the upgrade which turns the special attack into a rocket, basically. That plus the Spear's usual range and a hangover dash thing from Dionysis allowed me to keep damaging Hades without really letting him get near me.

Getting a BIT frustrated with the fact that I seem to be at a block with a number of character stories and the game isn't nudging me toward the next step but hopefully another few runs and I'll be getting there. I've got so much Ambrosia to give out once I progress anybody far enough.

Just made it to Theseus and the Minotaur for the first time.

Always be dashing. Took me a few attempts to finally get by them, now it's pretty straightforward unless I'm meeeeegafucked when I hit them.

Ian
02-10-2021, 10:35 PM
I was using the shield for the first time and struggled with it as it's really not my play style and I just fucked up.

I hope you get into it, I like the shield a lot. Close-range stopping power but you can also spam from range too.

Sir Andy Mahowry
02-10-2021, 10:43 PM
I hope you get into it, I like the shield a lot. Close-range stopping power but you can also spam from range too.

I'm sure I will, I think the boons I got did not help at all too.

I think I need a better understanding of what the symbols on doors are think more about what I'm doing because right now it's just "That symbol looks alright".

I also have no idea which Gods are good/shit right now too. Dionysus is probably the one I've gone to most but that's largely because I don't seem to get Ares & Zeus too much.

Ian
02-10-2021, 11:25 PM
I think I need a better understanding of what the symbols on doors are think more about what I'm doing because right now it's just "That symbol looks alright".

https://hades.fandom.com/wiki/Chambers_and_Encounters#Rewards

It doesn't list the chambers there where the icon is '!' but basically always take that or a Daedalus hammer if they're available. Otherwise you'll get the hang of which icons are for which Gods or if there's a specific resource you're after or whatever.

If it's not a ! or a Daedalus hammer I'll often treat Nectar as my third priority though sometimes the RNG starves you of boons and you need to cane them. But you basically always want the ! and Daedalus' I'd say.

Ian
04-10-2021, 09:15 PM
https://i.ibb.co/jG6c4dM/image.png

Cursed Slash and Flurry Slash plus Athene's Aid proved to be such an OP pairing with the Stygian Blade you can see I didn't use one of the four DDs I went into that fight with.

What's that Hades mate? You're chucking down one of those exploding skulls? Free health. Cheers. Oh, you're summoning adds now? Guess what? Free health. Oh look when you have managed to do me any damage you've helped me charge my god guage, meaning I can stand here and kick you in the dick for.... yep, free health.

Beautiful.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-10-2021, 09:21 PM
Bone Hydra down.

Just about did him. Was using the sword and was using some mad Athena cast boom which is seriously useful.

Onwards!

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-10-2021, 09:35 PM
Got close to the end of Elysium I think but I ran into a room with loads of longspear twats.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-10-2021, 10:16 PM
I then follow it up with another trip to Elysium but I then decided to fuck myself over.

I had one death defiance left and for some stupid reason I thought it was one of the ones I paid for in the mirror so I unequipped the lucky tooth losing the death defiance I had in my pocket.

Didn't have much health so died quickly after. I was using the shield this time and I got it a lot more. I had a boon which meant it hit more people and one from Zeus meaning it caused lightning damage so I could chuck it and it would go round hitting almost every enemy for quite a bit of health.

Ian
05-10-2021, 07:49 AM
I dunno if this is how everybody does it but I start with the spiky collar and then move to Skelly's tooth just before Elysium in the hope of having three or four DDs for Hades. I only really used the other keepsakes to try and check off the relevant prophecy.

Though I should maybe do this when I'm trying to get all the boons for those prophecies too.

The Spear dickheads are a pain in the arse. Elysium to me mostly seems to be trying to teach you the lesson you need for Theseus and Asterius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm262cXxRrU

I assume this is what the song was in fact about.

hfswjyr
05-10-2021, 10:13 AM
I never start with spiky collar, and often finish with it. Depending on how many death defiance's and your maximum health in the last underworld, +50 to each life could add up to much more than 1x100 skelly tooth.

The longspear dudes are a blessing compared to the shield dudes. Hate the shield dudes.

Ian
05-10-2021, 10:20 AM
It's probably entirely situational which obviously is hard to gauge at the start of a run.

3 DDs with +50 health might be an option, or you might be all out of DDs in which case that extra +100 (if you've levelled it up) is the better option / will give you more health. Depends on if you get Patroclus too of course.

Maybe I'll do a few runs where I start with the skelly tooth and switch to the collar at the end, see if that sees me regularly in better nick when I hit Hades, but having got two escapes in the space of a few runs last night definitely feels like progress because I got one with the .... erm, the gauntlets I think? I'm sure I got another one and had a bunch of Zeus buffs plus a handy duo boon. I'll need to double check but I think that's three escapes with different weapons on heat level 1 now.

hfswjyr
05-10-2021, 10:48 AM
It says in your screenshot above. 1 sword, 1 spear, 1 bow. 0 gauntlets, 0 rifle, 0 shield.

Ian
05-10-2021, 10:58 AM
Well, so it does. And that confirms it was in fact two escapes in a row.

THE STREAK stands at 2-0. Come at me Hades.

Also explains why I can't remember winning with the Spear last night, because it was obviously my last game on Saturday based on my other posts.

Ian
05-10-2021, 11:00 AM
I've just realised I played more than one game last night. The streak is already over. :(

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-10-2021, 11:11 AM
It was fun while it lasted.

Ian
05-10-2021, 09:42 PM
https://i.ibb.co/2PJLrND/image.png

That went from being a run I was certain wasn't going to end in escape until suddenly in the Temple of Styx I was super confident it would be an escape.

I've just shown the bow upgrades there because while I had some handy boons it really came down to a bit of luck with the Daedalus anvil thingy which trades a random weapon upgrade for two random ones. The double shot was very very powerful especially with the increased rate of fire and the chain shot was super handy for the stuff Hades summons.

Vercetti
06-10-2021, 12:33 PM
Had my first encounter with Hades, just then. Using the sword. I got him down to around 50% health before I copped it.

This is pretty much all I've been playing for the last few days. Never really saw myself getting into it the way many people seem to have, but I'm on my way.

Asphodel can fuck off, though. I lose so much of my health in the lava, and the chaos of the hydra fight. I'm a dash-striker, and I'm always ending up in bother on that stage.

Ian
06-10-2021, 12:43 PM
You'll get there. Hydra's a piece of piss once you get into the swing of it. Unless I really switch off and go into autopilot I invariably get to Elysium without much bother.

Sir Andy Mahowry
06-10-2021, 12:47 PM
Had my first encounter with Hades, just then. Using the sword. I got him down to around 50% health before I copped it.

This is pretty much all I've been playing for the last few days. Never really saw myself getting into it the way many people seem to have, but I'm on my way.

Asphodel can fuck off, though. I lose so much of my health in the lava, and the chaos of the hydra fight. I'm a dash-striker, and I'm always ending up in bother on that stage.
Yes.

I'm constantly dashing around and my health is always ticking away.

Ian
06-10-2021, 09:55 PM
https://i.ibb.co/yhFgwkY/image.png

Rattling through them now. :)

With the Twin Fists that time which is the weapon I've felt furthest from beating Hades with on previous attempts.

hfswjyr
07-10-2021, 09:30 AM
I love how soothing the bit after you get past Hades is. The music, the art, the people, everything about it.

Ian
07-10-2021, 09:51 AM
It is very nice indeed.

Also: it's a little annoying that I've beaten Hades with the Twin Fists with heat level 1 but now need to go back and try and get him with no heat so I can get the extra titan's blood. Not that I'm running short. Though (story spoiler)

I love what happens when you level up the sword's Aspect of Zagreus and kill Skelly with it per his request. :D

Sir Andy Mahowry
07-10-2021, 07:33 PM
Theseus and Mino down.

Tried to focus on Mino first and then went for Theseus. Only had 10 HP with no death defiance left.

Sir Andy Mahowry
07-10-2021, 07:52 PM
:moop:

I thought I fucking had him.

Ended up buying a death defiance (which was used quite quickly) and I did well with no defiance on Hades but yeah...

I also thought I had the Atena boon on myself down in Asphodel but it turned out to be the Artemis one which actually helped me a lot. I ended up with a couple of really cool boons from her which meant my cast was firing a second shot and whenever I did an attack, special or cast it had a high chance to fire a homing arrow.

It meant I was dashing around and just spamming special and cast and I was doing crazy damage without really ever trying to hit someone.

Also, I'm crazy to have ever doubted the shield.

Ian
07-10-2021, 08:05 PM
The shield is great though I haven't escaped with it yet.

Also I tend to focus on Asterius first though I've had one or two where Theseus ended up going down first.

Ian
07-10-2021, 09:49 PM
https://i.ibb.co/DMXTLY2/image.png

And my first with the Rail. And I've matched THE STREAK.

Sir Andy Mahowry
07-10-2021, 11:06 PM
Ian:

Does Hades have just two phases to the boss fight? I had no idea there was a second phase so my emotions did a complete 180 having thought I had smacked him at the first time of asking to seeing him just pick himself back up again.

hfswjyr
07-10-2021, 11:54 PM
Haha

Ian
08-10-2021, 06:44 AM
:D

Did you escape?

Well in case there is anybody else going to be playing this I'll spoiler mine even though 'How needs to fix his....

Yeah, just two phases.

Ian
08-10-2021, 09:34 AM
I was thinking last night that if I were to sit and think about my top 10 games ever this would at least have to be in the running. Extra credit for the fact that I usually have a fairly low roguelike threshold.

hfswjyr
08-10-2021, 09:58 AM
It's just so polished. No bugs, haven't had a crash. The artstyle is amazing. And I'm still not convinced I've heard the same voice line twice yet.

Ian
08-10-2021, 10:14 AM
The amount of voice lines they've recorded for combinations of how your last runs have gone, how you're doing overall, who you've buttered up with Nectar / Ambrosia (finally have some uses for the latter now), what you've got equipped, who you're speaking to, etc. is ludicrous.

It also just has enough stuff going on so that if you do have a few disappointing runs there's something to keep you going, whether it be story or crossing off stuff for prophecies or whatever.

Also:
I maxed out Skelly's favour and he gave me a little chum which was actually super-useful in the Hades fight. I was down to my last third of health for a good chunk of the second phase and was just having to hit and run but then remembered I had that and used it and it distracted Hades long enough for me to use my maxed-out Zeus call and absolutely hammer him for a few seconds. By the time the little skelly-critter had gone he was only a few shots away from death and I had something like 20 ammo per clip in the rail at this point.

It's another example of the wealth of voice lines too. I popped that and he basically told Skelly to go back to his dungeon or something to that effect.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-10-2021, 11:05 AM

Did you escape?

Well in case there is anybody else going to be playing this I'll spoiler mine even though 'How needs to fix his....

Yeah, just two phases.
I did not escape. I think I'd have done so if I had a death defiance in my pocket.

Also, whoops.

Ian
08-10-2021, 11:22 AM
I think I might sack off going with whichever weapon is giving me the darkness (and in my case gem) bonus for a bit and focus on getting my first win with the shield so I've completed the set. Bought a new aspect for it last night before I finished where after a bullrush the special will throw a second shield.

Also Mahow, and forgive me if this seems like a phenomenally stupid thing to point out but I genuinely didn't notice this until however many shield runs in I was, are you aware you can actually use it to block stuff?

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-10-2021, 11:31 AM
I was aware yes.

I rarely use it though. I think I've done it to protect myself from gemstone lasers and when Meg fires loads of shots.

Other than that, especially with the boons I had on my last run, I'd rather just dash everywhere.

Ian
08-10-2021, 11:34 AM
I use it situationally and probably less than I should but it's handy if you lean into some boons which buff the bull rush so you can set yourself up for it safely.

Ian
08-10-2021, 11:54 PM
https://i.ibb.co/Bg8xLtN/image.png

Fucking hell, check out my health and DDs bottom left.

That was horrible.

Also THE STREAK up to 3. :drool:

hfswjyr
09-10-2021, 04:11 AM
Very interesting bow is the strongest for you. I still haven't even come close to beating Hades with the bow.

That must have been quite a bit of panic at the end there. And that 40 min clear time! Typical shield playstyle.

Ian
09-10-2021, 12:22 PM
I don't even feel I like the bow much but I have to admit with the right boons I get on with it very well.

I reckon 5-10 of that escape time was on Hades himself just because I knew I was short on DDs and health so I was trying to just keep him at range and let him eat the hangover debuffs I was leaving when I dashed and hit him with festive fog. Fucker hits like a tank.

hfswjyr
09-10-2021, 11:49 PM
I'm up to a part of the game where I can't actually get to Greece anymore, and I really miss the place. The snow, the colours!

Ian
10-10-2021, 12:02 AM
I know you're all deeply invested in THE STREAK.

https://i.ibb.co/5jV2Zxx/image.png

hfswjyr
10-10-2021, 12:11 AM
Pressure points level 5... Ouch.

Ian
10-10-2021, 12:18 AM
I can never figure out how much I'm getting from Artemis' crit stuff.

Also just occurred to me I was using Aspect of Hades there and barely used the sweep at all.

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-10-2021, 12:35 AM
I know you're all deeply invested in THE STREAK.

https://i.ibb.co/5jV2Zxx/image.png
Will it ever end?

Ian
10-10-2021, 01:04 AM
How are you getting on? Any closer to your first escape? Where is your "I can get to this reliably" point at the moment?

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-10-2021, 11:08 AM
Haven't had time to play since my last run sadly.

I'd say beating Meg is fairly reliable now.

Ian
10-10-2021, 02:45 PM
Will it ever end?

Yes. :(

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-10-2021, 03:02 PM
RIP in pieces THE STREAK.

You beautiful sweet prince.

Ian
10-10-2021, 06:19 PM
I got to Hades again (bow, heat level 2) but couldn't stay ahead and those little wizard things he spawns kept hiding behind the cover as I was lining up shots at them and I took too much silly damage trying to sort them out.

Ian
14-10-2021, 07:18 AM
Had a couple of annoying fights against Hades where I was doing okay but couldn't quite get it over the line. On heat level 2 for all weapons now but the PoP options I have on don't really affect bosses so it's not down to that. Maybe partly because I'm still chasing prophecies rather than going for optimal builds but there are one or two of these runs I still feel like I should have had. Annoying.

And having nullified Sisyphus' contract I now for the life of me can't get his room to spawn so I can see the next bit. :moop: I am again in a bit of a holding pattern for the character stories where I have maxed out the nectar I can give them and am waiting for progression.

It also occurred to me last night I really ought to be leaning into dodge and taking the Plume when I'm using the Twin Fists. Very obvious thing that just hadn't occurred to me. :face:

hfswjyr
14-10-2021, 09:54 AM
I've unlocked a few companions now, but constantly forget to use them.

Also never even gotten up to Hades with the bow yet.

Ian
14-10-2021, 10:25 AM
I have one companion, he helped me nearly beat Hades last night.

Time before that I did use him but then the big twat used that massive beam thing and just absolutely melted it instantly so I may as well have not bothered.

Ian
14-10-2021, 10:06 PM
It also occurred to me last night I really ought to be leaning into dodge and taking the Plume when I'm using the Twin Fists. Very obvious thing that just hadn't occurred to me. :face:

https://i.ibb.co/rsB2sfs/image.png

By using Lambent Plume from the start I also had an extra 20% dodge stacked on top of what was above. Chuck in the homing blade rifts and the arrows per punch from Artemis that was just one of those loadouts I knew it would take a total disaster for me to not win.

hfswjyr
15-10-2021, 05:01 AM
What's the plume?

Have you got to the credits scene yet?

Ian
15-10-2021, 06:34 AM
The plume is Hermes' keepsake and every time you clear an encounter it adds a small percentage to your dodge chance and it appears all the dodge chances stack so I think depending on whether or not I'd just used my Call I was running a 25%-ish dodge chance plus an extra 30% after I'd used the call, so I could get it to max, let Zeus zap him for ten seconds for me and then just keep dash striking around him for a load of basically free hits.

No "end" credits yet.

I accidentally spoiled for myself that it's for Persephone coming back to the underworld and is after 10 successful runs, this is my 9th.

Ian
16-10-2021, 12:50 AM
Have you got to the credits scene yet?

Just did it.

And..... I think it's one of my favourite gaming moments ever?

It both gives you story reason to stop and keep going, whichever you like. Hades lets you go.... some would consider this a letdown but it's PERFECT for his character.

Then you get there and she's packed her bags and... and.... the reunion! Hades and Cerberus (the goodest boy) waiting when you're back. Charon taking you there with a tip of his hat!

And the MUSIC! Christ, what a banger that is as the big man sails you down the Styx. Fucking hell what a thing. All of it. It's brilliant stuff. And I'm not even remotely ready to stop playing yet.

Also have you done much with the hidden aspects? I tried the spear one where it gives you a bit of life-steal but nooooo health and foolishly
tried my first fight against Charon. It ended very badly for me.

Then tried the bow one which I can see is strong but I couldn't get the hang of it. Then I tried the sword one.... and fucking hell that thing chunks damage out of enemies.

Was genuinely a bit gutted, briefly, that I didn't get to fight Hades with it because I was pretty confident of the damage I was doing against bosses and wanted to see how I got on. It's slow but brutal.

I love this game.
Sir Andy Mahowry Stop wasting time on FIFA and FM and shit and just play Hades all the time.

Ian
16-10-2021, 01:08 AM
Earned a stack of diamonds and then accidentally burned 10 of the 11 I had on a fucking theme. :D / :face:

hfswjyr
16-10-2021, 03:56 AM
That is exactly how I felt about the end credits. I didn't realise I was that emotionally invested in it all!
I was also super confident of dishing Hades a defeat that round as well, oh well.
I died very very quickly to witches with the low HP spear, and haven't tried it since. I desperately want to get a win with the bow to finish off that damn prophecy.
Also struggling to get all the legendary boons.
And finally, I may have sat there for 10 minutes straight mashing the E key after reading something about learning to play the lyre through practice. Turns out, that's not the way to unlock it! 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

P.S. Can't get back to Greece! Not sure what else I need to do get be able to get back to that colourful garden.

Ian
16-10-2021, 09:50 AM
I've just been giving the Lyre 5-10 strums every time I pass through, is that not the way to do it? I assumed it's just having you rack up a large number of uses over time.

As for the legendary boons I've got 3 to go I think. I've made myself a cheat sheet in notepad (whose boons I need and their prerequisites) but it's still reliant on a bit of luck and even making a concerted effort to do it I haven't got them all crossed off yet.

Ian
16-10-2021, 11:31 PM
https://i.ibb.co/tqQ7JxY/image.png

Up to my 12th clear now and my fastest yet. The Aspect of Gilgamesh is brutal and I didn't even exploit the maim that much. Currently rolling with Shady as my companion. I might just edge it over Rib/Skelly but not sure.

Vercetti
17-10-2021, 01:49 PM
I'm still yet to escape :D

I'm getting to Hades pretty much at will, but normally with 1 defiance left, so I end up battered.

Thought I had him once, and then his second lifebar spawned, the beardy twat.

Ian
17-10-2021, 02:15 PM
I'm still yet to escape :D

I'm getting to Hades pretty much at will, but normally with 1 defiance left, so I end up battered.

Thought I had him once, and then his second lifebar spawned, the beardy twat.

Have you been finding Patroclus at all on the way? He can help with the DD situation.

Ian
18-10-2021, 07:41 AM
Other than the one for the sword I don't think I saw any of the hidden aspects and thought "Oh that sounds ace!" but after now getting a win with the Aspect of Rama for the bow (THE STREAK is now up to 4 again) they're all pretty strong when you get to grips with them.

Helps that I accidentally learned last night that you can just hold down the special attack for it so it fires it back-to-back, and that special is a triple shot which also splits off and ricochets to other enemies nearby AND marks them so that any damage you do to ANY enemy (including a mark one) with your main attack they take a further percentage of the damage.

Add in that I got a boon which also had the main attack ricochet to up to three enemies and I was absolutely coasting through a lot of encounters.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-10-2021, 08:05 PM
Did my first run with the rail today and I lost to Theseus and the Mino.

I made a few mistakes as I hadn't played in a while (and I took a shit tonne of damage in asphodel's lava) so I ended up using both my defiance's in Asphodel. The first in a regular room (I had done 2/3 rooms on just 4 HP so I was stunned it didn't happen earlier) and the second to the bone hydra.

I did find Patroclus for the first time so it gave me a chance in Elysium and I took the Mino out quick but I struggled badly on Theseus.

I quite like the rail but I feel I wasn't spamming the special enough and was focusing on dash striking a lot so I was putting in a lot of work for little damage.

Ian
18-10-2021, 09:55 PM
https://i.ibb.co/xGyhC51/image.png
New STREAK.

Did my first run with the rail today and I lost to Theseus and the Mino.

I made a few mistakes as I hadn't played in a while (and I took a shit tonne of damage in asphodel's lava) so I ended up using both my defiance's in Asphodel. The first in a regular room (I had done 2/3 rooms on just 4 HP so I was stunned it didn't happen earlier) and the second to the bone hydra.

I did find Patroclus for the first time so it gave me a chance in Elysium and I took the Mino out quick but I struggled badly on Theseus.

I quite like the rail but I feel I wasn't spamming the special enough and was focusing on dash striking a lot so I was putting in a lot of work for little damage.

The key with Theseus is really just to try and always have cover between the two of you until after he's thrown his thing and he turns to walk away. AOE attacks are also handy but he hits like a truck if you try and take him head-in.

Ian
21-10-2021, 09:45 PM
Things are going well, Streak-fans.
https://i.ibb.co/MS7xf64/image.png
hfswjyr

I miss Greece. :(

hfswjyr
22-10-2021, 08:38 AM
You're well ahead of me now, and still no Greece? =(

hfswjyr
22-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Closest call so far
https://i.imgur.com/a6KewJW.png

Ian
22-10-2021, 11:14 AM
Corrected for you.
https://i.imgur.com/TJbYj9Y.png

3hp away from defeat. :cool:

TWO heroic boons as well. Not sure I've ever even had one.

I see you're up to heat 4 on the shield as well. Yesterday was my first heat 3. What're you using for PoP? I activated Benefits Package for the first time. Health bump or the extra free hit thing for the baddies would've been easier I suspect but I've got a prophecy to come up against all the Benefits Package things. That was fun.

Had one in Elysium where all the enemies turned into multiple little pot things when they died and you have to kill the right one to stop it respawning.

Ian
22-10-2021, 11:19 AM
Also:
I now never use the Skelly Tooth unless I've reeeeeally fucked up Tartarus and Asphodel. I use the Cosmic Egg for the first two biomes and then back to Spiky Collar. Though I think I'm nearing the end of Chaos' story so I might start using the keepsakes for specific gods to force them to appear to give me Boons and try and clear off my remaining Duo and Legendary boons for the relevant prophecies.

I also use the companion from Sisyphus rather than Skelly too.

hfswjyr
22-10-2021, 11:32 AM
I keep forgetting to use my companion. In fact with my 3hp escape, I had 2 charges unused.

I'm basically just trying to chase prophecies at this point. Artemis is the one I'm really struggling to get done. There's also one last boon for Chaos I'm struggling to get (think you need to see 3 portals to get there?).
Only have Meg, Dusa, and Skelly companions so far. I'm gifting Nectar to random people with the hope I get some more.
I've done all the "easy" PoPs at least once now. It's the bottom 5 or so that I'm dreading.

Ian
22-10-2021, 11:59 AM
Are you checking against the wiki for pre-requisites?

Some of them need previous boons which ALSO have requirements so I just made myself a text file with what I needed for each god to make crossing them off easier.

hfswjyr
23-10-2021, 01:09 AM
Yep, you can check the pre-requisites in the game codex. I just never seem to run into enough Artemis boons in a single run.

Ian
23-10-2021, 08:38 AM
https://i.ibb.co/bzyW6QZ/image.png

Ah. I see.

Also, didn't realise the pre-reqs were in the Codex too. I've still got three legendary boons to tick off but it's Demeter, Poseidon and Zeus for me.

hfswjyr
23-10-2021, 09:33 AM
Got the Artemis one today. Just need one last one from Hermes!

I also got the three fury's last night. Only just made it past them.

Is there any point me gifting to Bouldy?

Ian
23-10-2021, 02:04 PM
If you've got excess nectar he'll give you a random buff for the rest of the run. Attack damage, move speed, that sort of thing. I've still got Olympians who need nectar so I've only gifted to Bouldy once.

He is clearly a top lad though.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-10-2021, 09:40 PM
Had two runs tonight.

The first was pathetic. I was using the fists for the first time and whilst I do think that when I get them they'll really suit I was pretty shit with them. Ended up dying to the bone hydra but it was a struggle just getting there.

The next was with the bow using the aspect of chiron. I got to Theseus and the Mino and almost had them (I was focusing on the Mino but I seemed to be hitting both) but I think the boons I chose weren't getting the best out of the aspect.

Finally found Thanatos for the first time though so I'll finally have everyone gifted (I also need Zeus who seems to be avoiding me) at least once soon.

Ian
23-10-2021, 09:53 PM
When you go fists, Mahow, equip Hermes' keepsake if you have it and pick him whenever you get the chance. You want them big dodge buffs.

Ian
23-10-2021, 11:24 PM
Bit off of a bit more than I could chew just now. Went for a shield run with my first attempt at level 5 heat and a mix of different PoP options. Ended the STREAK with my hubris at... 8 I think? Not sure how to check in the House of Hades. Either way, I'm sorry Streak fans (@Sir Andy Mahowry) :(

Fucking died before the Bone Hydra for the first time in what must be about 30 runs. The shame.

Probably best to work on some other weapons at level 3 or 4 heat next. I just wanted to unlock the hidden aspect for it. :(

Sir Andy Mahowry
24-10-2021, 12:07 AM
RIP in pieces sweet prince :(

Vercetti
24-10-2021, 10:47 PM
Finally made my first escapes over the last couple of days.

Two with the sword, and one each with the spear, fists and railgun.

I can already see that I will never make an escape with the bow. What a piece of crap that is, in my hands. :moop:

Ian
24-10-2021, 11:23 PM
I discussed this with Vowels upthread but I don't feel like the bow is a weapon I like and yet I did really well with it for a number of my early escapes. I think the main thing with it is bad positioning is harder to get away with. Unless you've got some get-out-of-jail-free card boons for the bow it's tricky if you get cornered, for example. What do you find the issue is? Struggling to do damage quickly enough or enemies getting up in your face or something else?

phonics
25-10-2021, 07:52 PM
It’s only any good if you have a full charge and the special move always sucks. All the best weapons allow for maximum movement.

Ian
25-10-2021, 07:58 PM
I barely use full charge on any of my bow escapes, shoot far enough to hit an enemy and keep moving. The spray special is ace too. Get some boons it, deflect is lovely, and against tough enemies just get right in behind so you can hit a bunch of simultaneous backstabs with all of the spray.

phonics
25-10-2021, 08:04 PM
Early.

Ian
25-10-2021, 08:42 PM
Pardon?

Sir Andy Mahowry
25-10-2021, 08:57 PM
Late.

hfswjyr
25-10-2021, 11:48 PM
I find the attack speed (or lack thereof) the most annoying thing about the bow. I'm standing in place way too long to get a shot off.

Ian
26-10-2021, 06:40 AM
Monstered Hades with the Aspect of Beowulf for the Shield last night, though I think it was more about the fact that I got the Duo boon which made all my boons after that Epic which made it a strong build.

It'd be fun to play about with it though with different boons on your cast.

Ian
28-10-2021, 06:37 AM
The Aspect of Lucifer for the rail seems like it could be stupidly powerful. I didn't get by Hades (I took too much damage in Asphodel) with it but I don't think it'd take much Boons-wise to make it melt basically everything.

Ian
30-10-2021, 06:34 PM
The Aspect of Guan Yu, at least as under-levelled as it is for me, is rough with so little health so it's one of my most satisfying escapes in ages.

Only went into the Hades fight with 87 max health and 2 DDs. It comes with a sort of extra cast from your spin attack that gains some health on hit but while you do that you need to really keep your distance because with 87 health one hit from Hades fucking wrecks you.

Really pleased with that.

hfswjyr
30-10-2021, 11:09 PM
My usual tactic against Hades (including an escape last night) is just to slug it out him while expending all the health I have built up.

So yeah, I don't think I'm ever escaping with Guan Yu.

Ian
31-10-2021, 12:38 PM
If I have one gripe with the game, and this might genuinely be the first, it's that the way you can only speak to characters once per visit to the House really keeps you waiting an infuriatingly long time to progress stories sometimes.

I've been waiting fucking ages for the next bit of Achilles' story but he keeps passing comment on other random shit rather than progressing the quest. Luckily there's usually other stuff moving along to keep it going but still. It's annoying.

Ian
31-10-2021, 12:41 PM
Also, on a related note, I ended up looking up Hypnos' favour requirements on the Wiki and they're really dumb.

Having to die specifically to Asterius x times then Theseus, etc. There's genuinely no way that'll ever happen for me now unless I die at the appropriate times on purpose. :moop:

Ian
31-10-2021, 09:24 PM
https://i.ibb.co/3c8TPxL/image.png

All that extra damage. :drool: Plus dodging 26% of attacks thanks to Hermes' keepsake.

Poor old Hades never got near me.

And the fully levelled Aspect of Demeter is just lovely.

Vowels:
You got to the epilogue?

hfswjyr
01-11-2021, 09:25 AM
Nope, not yet. I think I'm at... 17 or 18 clears?

Ian
01-11-2021, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure what actually triggers it. It's less good than the credits sequence but it's still cool.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-11-2021, 11:17 PM
Just had a run with the rail which started tragically bad which, by the time I reached Elysium, I thought might also be my first clear.

I took a Chaos gate which meant that I took X% more damage from traps and obviously when I faced Alecto all I could do was hit the fucking traps so I used both of my death defiances up.

I thought I had no chance but I was rocking it in Asphodel and beat the Bone Hydra without any deaths (I managed to buy 1 of my DD's back from the well shop) and was going well in Elysium. I then faced the Mino in a room (that's fucking harsh lads) who used my last DD. I was doing well against Theseus and The Mino though and thought I would do it as I managed to take down The Mino quite quickly.

Unfortunately I decided to stop dashing to lob my specials (I had the boon which lets me do 3) and casts (Dionysus' drunk fog bombs) at the worst possible time and Theseus gutted me :(

I was really liking my build too and had I not been such a fucking twat with Alecto/traps at the start I reckon I could have possibly done it.

Ian
02-11-2021, 07:41 AM
The good thing about facing Asterius alone is that it does at least knock some of his starting health off the Theseus fight if you beat him but yeah first time you see him as a mini-boss it's a bit of a "Oh for fuck's sake" moment.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-11-2021, 09:57 PM
I have now given nectar to everyone (I believe), what should I do with nectar now?

Edit: I've missed Patroclus.

hfswjyr
04-11-2021, 12:54 AM
Give them more nectar.

Ian
04-11-2021, 07:50 AM
Max everybody (in the House, the three NPCs out in the underworld and the Olympians) and unless you've done a bunch of escapes that you've not mentioned there's a character you won't have had the chance to give any to yet.

Probably more than one actually, now I think about it.

Ian
04-11-2021, 08:42 AM
Also you can always give a bit to Bouldy. :wub:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/fc8cfa9fb12795046ba12b3132576d37/87472c9618f1b8bb-b6/s2048x3072/8b720082f34c47ee6bb46fc557854c55999570ca.png

:wub:

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2021, 11:21 PM
Thought I was about to have my first clear. I was doing well with this build:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FDd07ReWYAAJLUq?format=jpg

Was getting into a groove by dodging, laying down a demeter crystal cast or two, lobbing the shield and doing my Athena call when I got in trouble/decided to whittle down some of Hades' health. Got him down to about a quarter bar before I got hit by one of those shit pots and it took my life.

Ian
08-11-2021, 08:06 AM
I'm slowing down on this quite a bit now.

Running out of prophecies to knock off, have seen the 'epilogue' and it's really starting to annoy me that there's one character whose next story chunk I only haven't unlocked yet because the RNG hasn't picked the dialogue from the available options when I've been in the house. It really ought to be prioritising that over the chit chat.

Ian
22-11-2021, 11:00 PM
Finally got the end of the Achilles story to start moving along.

I'm not as hooked as I was before but I still very much enjoy the runs I do. The bow aspect with the homing special is mega if you get the right boons on it.

hfswjyr
23-11-2021, 12:26 AM
I've been hooked on another game, so haven't had any time for Hades recently. Funnily enough, I am reading a book about Achilles and Patroclus which contains a bunch of characters I recognise because of the game.

Ian
23-11-2021, 07:33 AM
Yeah I've been reading Heroes by Stephen Fry so people keep popping up that I'm like "Oh yeah I know this dude."

I still haven't done Hypnos' story either but at this point I 100% can't be bothered failing multiple times at a specific point on purpose which is what would be required.

Andrew
23-02-2022, 10:04 PM
Bit late getting into this but managing to get to the 1st boss pretty easily but then getting my arse handed to me by her..

If you guys love Roguelites then you seriously need to check out Returnal on the PS5

Amazing game, I'd go as far as saying the best game I've ever played ever.

The boss of Biome 4 is the greatest boss battle ever

Ian
24-02-2022, 11:14 AM
It's fair to say that Hades is the exception to my feelings on roguelikes rather than the rule. It's a pity Supergiant just tend to move onto a brand new thing because I've love more of it. Another pantheon altogether could be fun.

Andrew
05-03-2022, 10:56 AM
So manged to reach the final boss battle against Hades by spamming dash and attack randomly seems to work fine as long as you get deflect and that boon that causes damage over time.

To beat Hades himself though is going to take a while I managed to take his first health bar which seemed to rather upset him greatly he then went on and battered me 🙄

Ian
05-03-2022, 11:24 AM
Yeah it's very this:
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/6e/cd/38/6ecd382d05e142c91ec372f27b44ca3d.jpg

Obviously you might want to discover them for yourself but I, while not an expert, have posted some stuff in my updates about boons and combos of things that worked really well that I stumbled upon. :)

hfswjyr
05-03-2022, 10:45 PM
It really is such a punishing twist when he gets back up, angrier than before.

Andrew
08-03-2022, 07:34 AM
So can pretty easily reach Hades every time I start a run now, got him down half way to his 2nd hp bar 🤦

I've enabled God mode aswell now as I'll be getting arthritis in both my wrists if I keep mashing the buttons like a mad man at this rate..

Andrew
09-03-2022, 08:20 PM
It's now never !!!
250 hp
2 death defiance

Wish me luck!!

Ian
09-03-2022, 08:26 PM
What's your weapon of choice?

Andrew
09-03-2022, 09:06 PM
Well that was easy...

The story is really great in this.

Ian just escaped using the sword I've been using the shield mainly up to now. But the sword seemed to make short work of everything fair play!!

Ian
09-03-2022, 09:13 PM
Nicely done. :cool:

In my experience even weapons that don't click for you initially you'll eventually find boons that tweak it that really work for you.

Andrew
09-03-2022, 09:19 PM
Definitely i had some sweet boons ethat run, i seem to be able to reach Hades now consistently now so i think ill try and clear the game with every weapon.

Just having a look at a new option where I can add heat? I'm guessing the more heat the better the rewards the harder it is !!

have you played Returnal? Hades is up in the top 10 of games I really like but I honestly think Returnal is the greatest game I've ever played.

The boss in the 4th Biome 🤤

Just installing Elden Ring now.

Ian
09-03-2022, 09:26 PM
So Heats adds specific difficulty tweaks that you choose but it means you start getting rewards for beating bosses again with weapons you've already beaten them with at less/no heat, instead of darkness or gold or whatever it gives you when you're doing repeat fights.

I don't have a Playstation so I have not played returnal.

Ian
10-12-2022, 02:07 AM
We're getting a Hades 2. :drool:

Absolutely yes. Give it to me.

Pepe
10-12-2022, 03:15 AM
I never finished this. It was fun. Maybe I should go back to it.

hfswjyr
10-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Finished...? Where have you gotten up to?

I'm looking forward to the sequel primarily for the story if I'm honest. The gameplay is nice, but the story keeps me interested.

Ian
10-12-2022, 11:00 AM
I didn't finish one storyline because I couldn't be bothered getting to the third biome and then dying on purpose. I think I did everything else though.

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-12-2022, 12:05 PM
I never had a successful run because I'm shit.

It was very fun though.

Pepe
10-12-2022, 01:06 PM
Finished...? Where have you gotten up to?

The bull.

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-12-2022, 01:16 PM
Stunned that someone was worse than me.

Congrats Pepe.

Ian
10-12-2022, 05:36 PM

Pepe
10-12-2022, 07:57 PM
Just because I didn't get past that doesn't mean that I couldn't get past that.

:uhoh:

Shindig
10-12-2022, 10:00 PM
I've stuck the first game on my wishlist, along with Bastion. I dunno why I keep skipping over them. I thought Transistor was decent but I guess I've got plenty of games vying for my attention.

hfswjyr
10-12-2022, 10:54 PM
Bastion is a lot easier (less punishing) than Hades, and still a great game. The soundtrack is phenomenal.

Ian
10-12-2022, 11:43 PM
Bastion is a lot easier (less punishing) than Hades, and still a great game. The soundtrack is phenomenal.

Kid just rages for a while.

Supergiant are just a great developer. I loved Pyre as well.