PDA

View Full Version : The big sleep debate - must have noise vs must have silence. You decide.

QE Harold Flair
13-10-2015, 12:14 AM
Personally I have to have something on the go noise-wise. Any kind of white noise or humming machinery such as a hairdryer or fan is even better but I usually just settle for the tv.

7om
13-10-2015, 12:26 AM
Give me absolute darkness and silence and I'll be gone in under five minutes. Any noise is just a distraction for me.

Yevrah
13-10-2015, 12:32 AM
I can fall asleep with some background noise, but I don't see why anyone would prefer that.

Spav
13-10-2015, 12:37 AM
When going to bed I much prefer silence and darkness and I close the bedroom door if my wife is still up later than me to ensure that occurs.

Of course If I'm tired enough then I can fall asleep on the lounge with the television blaring and easily nap for an hour or so.

CJay
13-10-2015, 12:53 AM
When I was a teenager I'd fall asleep with my iPod on nearly every night. Surprised I never strangled myself in my sleep, tbh. Now I sleep in total silence, but I can fall asleep in a room with noise in it or whatever. So I answered that I'm open to both.

Lewis
13-10-2015, 01:00 AM
I prefer complete darkness and no noise (and no windows open), but I can nap in the light. Noise is the deal-breaker. You just focus on it.

John
13-10-2015, 01:00 AM
I prefer some background noise, which means I usually put something on the laptop while I drift off. Generally speaking it'll be something light which I've already seen, so I don't end up staying awake wondering what's about to happen, but occasionally I'll put some music on. I've made that mistake before.

If I have absolute silence and nothing to offer a low level distraction I'll lie awake all night.

The Merse
13-10-2015, 01:10 AM
Always used to do so listening to music or watching a film, but recently it's been silence that does it for me, can still go the other way at the weekend though.

mugbull
13-10-2015, 03:03 AM
Sigur Ros.

Luke Emia
13-10-2015, 06:02 AM
I used to fall asleep with the telly on but now I'm very much a no noise person. I have to say it works much better.

ScousePig
13-10-2015, 06:07 AM
I can fall asleep with some background noise, but I don't see why anyone would prefer that.

I find it hard to switch off in complete silence. My general rule of thumb is to watch TV in bed and when I feel myself drifting, get my head down but leave the TV on a very quiet volume.

Ian
13-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Preferably silence but I'll quite happily drop if the weather is being very noisy.

Giggles
13-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Was always with music until my 20's. Now I have quiet, though the Mrs would stick a podcast on the odd time she can't sleep and it wouldn't bother me. Drowns out the soon to be murdered dog next door.

Mazuuurk
13-10-2015, 07:37 AM

My childhood room faces towards one of Stockholms busier roads/bridges (even at night), that also has trains and undergrounds coming across it. It's quite far away, like 300-400 meters maybe, and quite far down (the building is up on a sort of hill).

Anyway, it meant the constant murmur of cars going past in the distance when I'd sleep as a kid, the occasional policecar sound, etc. I grew to like that, so now I really don't like it when it's just completely quiet, I really want those big city sounds in the background.

Davgooner
13-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Bit of both. I can easily drift of with no sound at all, but I quite often stick the radio on for a bit of background noise. The overnight shows on 5Live are stonking.

Mazuuurk
13-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Oh and also, strong winds or rain outside is fucking nice as well.

They come with the added bonus of making me appreciate being in my bed a little extra, as well.

niko_cee
13-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Bit of both. I can easily drift of with no sound at all, but I quite often stick the radio on for a bit of background noise. The overnight shows on 5Live are stonking.

This. Well, in the past anyway.

Rhod Sharp > Dotun Adebayo

Raoul Duke
13-10-2015, 07:47 AM
I prefer the quiet. I don't understand people who "need" to put on background noise - it's just wasteful and develops bad habits.

I can't help but think it's more natural to have silence. Surely in the past it would have been silent (naturally, as there wasn't much going on) and also then noise would be a kinda early warning system against predators.

Mazuuurk
13-10-2015, 07:51 AM
Err no why would it have been silent in the past?

The further back in time you go, the less I imagine our accommodations will have had noise-cancelling insulation (and even walls, etc). Sleeping outside, in a cave or even in a little wooden or stone house or whatever you'd definitely hear the nature around you, specially whenever the weather would be a bit bad.

That said, they didn't have podcasts, short of the town drunk reciting some old tale in the square a little loudly, so there's that.

Magic
13-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Sleep mode was a life saver for me through college, though in fairness I didn't even try to sleep until about 4AM. Now it has to be utter silence and darkness, though if I am tired enough I can get to sleep eventually.

If the wife is out out I can't sleep, I'm just overcome with anxiousness that something bad is going to happen (no not cheating) and I lay awake until she comes home. It's crap because it means we're both fucked the day after.

I actually tried TuneIn on sleep mode last time she was out and all it did was serve as an annoyance.

Jimmy Floyd
13-10-2015, 07:59 AM
This background noise stuff is mental, surely? If I ever fall asleep with the TV on it just wakes me up after a while.

Toby
13-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Complete silence is the ideal, but if I don't have it I'd rather listen to music than have irregular noise.

Davgooner
13-10-2015, 08:12 AM
This. Well, in the past anyway.

Rhod Sharp > Dotun Adebayo

Aye, although the world football phone-in is proper lol.

"The sun rises in Scunthorpe this morning at 7:32..."

:cool:

Benny
13-10-2015, 08:48 AM
I've not been able to sleep in silence since my teenage years, to be honest.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
13-10-2015, 10:07 AM
I can do both easily enough. For years I used to leave music playing while I went to bed. Heavy rain remains the best.

randomlegend
13-10-2015, 10:09 AM
On my migraine travels I've been told not to sleep with sound/light on as (even though you may fall asleep) you get poorer quality sleep.

SvN
13-10-2015, 10:33 AM
I prefer total silence - even my wife's breathing can keep me awake at times. When that happens, I listen to podcasts, which I find aren't as unbearable as rhythmic breathing or ticking.

randomlegend
13-10-2015, 10:35 AM
A ticking clock whilst I'm trying to get to sleep is enough to drive me to despair.

Cord
13-10-2015, 10:43 AM
For proper sleeping at night, it must be complete silence and complete darkness and with me laying in exactly the same position. I can't even sleep properly in any bed that isn't my own, such is the pickyness of my brain.

The only place this doesn't apply is on my train commute, where I have developed some sort of immediate sit down/fall asleep reflex, which appears to take no notice of the cacophony of noise and vileness on your average train.

Magic
13-10-2015, 10:56 AM
A ticking clock whilst I'm trying to get to sleep is enough to drive me to despair.

Oh yeah, anything repetitive that doesn't change absolutely does my fucking box in.

phonics
13-10-2015, 11:05 AM
I used to sleep with a ticking clock under my pillow and then it stopped working and I was just resting my head on a piece of plastic. Think a mix of city life and passing out to movies at Uni has made it impossible for me to sleep in silence.

Benny
13-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Oh and if we want to talk about complete sleep habits, I sleep without pillows.

phonics
13-10-2015, 11:33 AM
No wonder Benny gets all the ladies, they get to hog the pillows.

Magic
13-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Oh and if we want to talk about complete sleep habits, I sleep without pillows.

:D

This is Boom levels of fucked up. Freak.

phonics
13-10-2015, 11:38 AM
I sleep without pillows in Hotels because they're normally made of brick and come in 18 sizes while the duvet anchors me down so much I leads me to assume we're taking the precaution that if gravity disappeared overnight, I'd be safe. Hotel sleeping is awful.

Reg
13-10-2015, 11:48 AM
I don't mind some noise. I've lived on a busy road that always had traffic in the night, and with a train track at the back of the garden. But I don't like loud music coming from another house, and get really annoyed when some twat's house party is going on too late.

I sleep without pillows in Hotels because they're normally made of brick and come in 18 sizes while the duvet anchors me down so much I leads me to assume we're taking the precaution that if gravity disappeared overnight, I'd be safe. Hotel sleeping is awful.
I love sleeping in a hotel. There's something about a different, new, clean feeling room that makes it really easy to sleep.

Benny
13-10-2015, 11:55 AM

This is Boom levels of fucked up. Freak.

Yeah it is a bit weird, but I just find it uncomfortable to sleep with my neck crooked on a pillow. What I need is something like this:

https://adriancrowe.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/arm-sleeper-pillow.jpg

Sam
13-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Noise all the way.

I grew up near a permanently busy road with a few factories behind my house that were consistently working through the night. It was never quiet and always had some noise. When I first moved down to Cheltenham I could barely sleep because of how silent it was, just ended up leaving the television on blaring or sticking some earphones in so I could nod off.

However, this can be my weakness as I usually last all of 2-3 minutes before I fall asleep on public transport. Bed wise, I've learnt over the year that I'm a face down the pillow sort of sleeper, comes from when I used to wake up during the night with a nose bleed, where I'd just push my nose into the pillow so it'd stop and I could nod off without noticing it.

Other then that I often kick and punch out in my sleep and twitch like a fucker before I nod off.

AE
13-10-2015, 12:34 PM
I find it hard to switch off in complete silence. My general rule of thumb is to watch TV in bed and when I feel myself drifting, get my head down but leave the TV on a very quiet volume.

This. Or else I start having deep thoughts and will never get to bed.

Pepe
13-10-2015, 12:41 PM
The state of some of you. :nono:

Pen
13-10-2015, 12:42 PM
I prefer silence, and prior to this thread I thought that was the case for everybody possibly barring young children (not trying to get a sly dig in here) who might think they're left alone if they can't hear their parents. That said, I can fall asleep anywhere if I'm tired so it's no biggie for me either way (very loud noise aside of course).

This no pillows stuff has blown my mind though. I have two different ones depending weather I want to sleep on my back or on my side.

Magic
13-10-2015, 12:45 PM
I prefer silence, and prior to this thread I thought that was the case for everybody possibly barring young children (not trying to get a sly dig in here) who might think they're left alone if they can't hear their parents. That said, I can fall asleep anywhere if I'm tired so it's no biggie for me either way (very loud noise aside of course).

This no pillows stuff has blown my mind though. I have two different ones depending weather I want to sleep on my back or on my side.

What the fuck? :D

Some of you are ill.

Pen
13-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I have one of those harder ones that's shaped so that your spine is perfectly straight when you sleep on your back or on your side with it, but I sometimes prefer a fluffier pillow if I'm on my side for the reason Benny highlighted with his picture.

Magic
13-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Yeah, erm, you do move in your sleep don't you?

Pen
13-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Not really since we bought a new bed and the pillows. I might even wake up in exactly the same position I was when I went to bed.

That sleep quality :drool:

Benny
13-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Noise all the way.

I grew up near a permanently busy road with a few factories behind my house that were consistently working through the night. It was never quiet and always had some noise. When I first moved down to Cheltenham I could barely sleep because of how silent it was, just ended up leaving the television on blaring or sticking some earphones in so I could nod off.

Yeah same, I've got a train track right by my house so that was always a noise when I was younger. It was weird when I slept over at other peoples houses who lived in a quiet area, I couldn't ever sleep.

Magic
13-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Not really since we bought a new bed and the pillows. I might even wake up in exactly the same position I was when I went to bed.

That sleep quality :drool:

I bet you don't you absolute wrong 'un. It's impossible to stay still the whole night. Having two pillows for sleeping positions is weirder than no pillows.

Niobium Knight
13-10-2015, 01:43 PM
For w while a used to sleep with no pillow, but I have ready it is better to use a pillow to raise your head a bit as it aids blood circulation in your brain.

Magic
13-10-2015, 01:46 PM
For w while a used to sleep with no pillow, but I have ready it is better to use a pillow to raise your head a bit as it aids blood circulation in your brain.

This explains a lot for Benny.

:henn0rz:

Pen
13-10-2015, 01:50 PM
I bet you don't you absolute wrong 'un. It's impossible to stay still the whole night. Having two pillows for sleeping positions is weirder than no pillows.

The other pillow is also heavenly for support for sleeping kind of 'half' on your stomach and side. I'm really donning it on the sleeping front even if I do say so myself.

QE Harold Flair
13-10-2015, 01:54 PM
I have one of those harder ones that's shaped so that your spine is perfectly straight

http://rogermooresmovienation.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/williams.jpg?w=640

Pepe
13-10-2015, 02:46 PM

Benny
13-10-2015, 02:47 PM

http://media.giphy.com/media/12QK9U9ohXT6U0/giphy.gif

Lewis
13-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Yeah it is a bit weird, but I just find it uncomfortable to sleep with my neck crooked on a pillow. What I need is something like this:

https://adriancrowe.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/arm-sleeper-pillow.jpg

You've already got arms, so maybe try two pillows?

ScousePig
13-10-2015, 05:18 PM
For proper sleeping at night, it must be complete silence and complete darkness and with me laying in exactly the same position. I can't even sleep properly in any bed that isn't my own, such is the pickyness of my brain.

The only place this doesn't apply is on my train commute, where I have developed some sort of immediate sit down/fall asleep reflex, which appears to take no notice of the cacophony of noise and vileness on your average train.

It has to be the same position for me too. I need to a bed against the wall and I lean slightly on the wall, with one hand underneath the pillow and hugging another pillow.

Fuck off.

Magic
13-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Smacks of psychological issues. Its clear we don't need relationship threads to see what a mess we are, a simple sleeping thread reveals all.

ScousePig
13-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Smacks of psychological issues. Its clear we don't need relationship threads to see what a mess we are, a simple sleeping thread reveals all.

It smacks of psychological issues that you're over analysing it, yes.

randomlegend
13-10-2015, 05:30 PM
What the fuck? :D

Some of you are ill.

Paruresis (/ˌpɑrəˈriːsɪs/ par-ə-ree-sis) is a type of phobia in which the sufferer is unable to urinate in the real or imaginary presence of others, such as in a public restroom.

Byron
13-10-2015, 05:35 PM
I used to insist on absolute silence but since living next to a busy road, I kind of like having the noise of the odd car going by. Two pillows because I'm not a fucking headcase but my sleeping 'tick' is that I absolutely have to have my feet sticking out the bottom of the duvet. Think it's down to the fact that when I was younger every time I had my feet under the duvet, my legs would cramp which was fucking painful.

EDIT: Looks like RL fucking donned the shit out of Magic there.

Magic
13-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Paruresis (/ˌpɑrəˈriːsɪs/ par-ə-ree-sis) is a type of phobia in which the sufferer is unable to urinate in the real or imaginary presence of others, such as in a public restroom.

*sharp intake of breath*

My biggest shame. :(

randomlegend
13-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Love you really.

Chrissy
13-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Maybe it's a sign of where my life is at but I really struggle to switch off and get by for 5/6 days on 3/4 hours sleep then have a binge night of 12 hours. I'm finding more and more that alcohol and painkillers help me switch off. Never been one to sleep with the light on. Likewise, noise keeps me up. After 7 pints though it could be the 4th of July celebrations in my bedroom and i'd sleep through it.

Ian
13-10-2015, 05:58 PM
If you're drinking more then you're going to find it harder to sleep when you haven't been.

Niobium Knight
13-10-2015, 06:09 PM
It's so much better when it's completely dark. If you have thin curtains and a street lamp outside it really sucks.

Magic
13-10-2015, 06:11 PM
Blackout blinds. :drool:

igor_balis
13-10-2015, 07:35 PM
I have terrible sleeping habits. I wake up shattered, vow to go to bed earlier the next day, then as soon as it gets to about midnight EVERYTHING seems fucking interesting. I stayed up until 3ish watching that fucking insane championship wrestling documentary last night. I can sleep with or without silence though.

Niobium Knight
13-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Blackout blinds. :drool:

The only problem is you don't know when it's morning.

Dquincy
13-10-2015, 07:51 PM
If my wife is away overnight and i'm on my own, I've been known to fall asleep to Mid Morning Matters by Alan Partridge.

ScousePig
13-10-2015, 08:10 PM
If you have thin curtains you suck.

Tidied.

AE
13-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Couple of beers with dinner, I sleep like a baby regardless if it's noise or no noise.

P_3
13-10-2015, 08:18 PM
End of the day, I put my head on the pillow and I'm out for the count. Never tried sleeping with the TV or music on. Just thinking of the electricity bill would drive me nuts.

Spoonsky
14-10-2015, 02:43 AM
Silence and darkness are obviously the best, but I'm not very fussy; I slept on a couch in a lounge at the Brown dorms last night. I often have to wake up to music though, otherwise I just turn off the alarm and fall right back to sleep.

On the topic of sleep, how good are naps? I slept from 1 till 3 today (probably because it's hard to sleep well at a lounge in the Brown dorms) and it was sublime. Laying in the sunshine is hard to beat.

Pepe
14-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I see the Hispanic influence is doing you good. :cool:

Magic
14-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Couple of beers with dinner, I sleep like a baby regardless if it's noise or no noise.

I take it not pints? Any more than 3 pints sees me awake the entire night.

Sam
14-10-2015, 02:39 PM
I take it not pints? Any more than 3 pints sees me awake the entire night.

I have my steady limit. 3-10 see me as a livewire. 11-14 will see a total drunk state with eyes unable to focus. 15+ means I'll just fall asleep in the pub and anywhere else, generally will be out of it for a good 12 hours.

Niobium Knight
14-10-2015, 09:17 PM
I have my steady limit. 3-10 see me as a livewire. 11-14 will see a total drunk state with eyes unable to focus. 15+ means I'll just fall asleep in the pub and anywhere else, generally will be out of it for a good 12 hours.

How in the name of fuck does anyone drink 15 pints? Most I've ever had was about 7. But then I'm talking proper beer, not lager tops.

QE Harold Flair
14-10-2015, 09:35 PM
He doesn't.

Shindig
15-10-2015, 06:17 AM
I just fall asleep when I'm tired. Makes no difference about the noise but living next to a main road will do that to you.

Sam
15-10-2015, 09:22 AM
How in the name of fuck does anyone drink 15 pints? Most I've ever had was about 7. But then I'm talking proper beer, not lager tops.

These are spread out over the course of a day, especially when I'm going to football. It's a relatively simple process, I purchase it from a pub, proceed to drink it till completion, then repeat this process throughout the day in various watering holes.

As for drinks, I start off with some decent stuff (Sunbeam is a favourite) before moving on to whatever the bar may serve.

simon
15-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Drinking 15 pints. :sick:

Why not just move onto spirits after 3 or 4? I dread to think how bloated and shit you'd feel after 15.

Davgooner
15-10-2015, 12:12 PM
15 in one session is a bit mental and barely believable unless you're packing about 20 stone, though across a day at the football it's probably about par for the course. The biggest issue with boozing at the football is the subsequent pissing; getting stuck in an escort needing a piss is not a great situation. By the time we arrived at the Lane the other week I could barely walk/run up the stairs. Proper fucked my bladder up and still hurts now.

Benny
15-10-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm trying to tot up how many we had at the Palace game, as that was probably the most we'd drunk at a game. About three cans on the train up, three at the Brickies and then a couple inside the ground, plus one/two more before meeting Kiko to get my old phone back. At that point I was in my hangover stage already, God knows how you could last 15+ drinks and not be asleep.

Disco
15-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Silence and darkness all the way for me. Pillow arrangement is a bit odd though, I have two but put my head/face on the bed next to them and kind of rest against the edge of the pillows.

Sam
15-10-2015, 12:37 PM
15 in one session is a bit mental and barely believable unless you're packing about 20 stone, though across a day at the football it's probably about par for the course. The biggest issue with boozing at the football is the subsequent pissing; getting stuck in an escort needing a piss is not a great situation. By the time we arrived at the Lane the other week I could barely walk/run up the stairs. Proper fucked my bladder up and still hurts now.

Yeah, as noted, it's across the course of a day at football. Getting stuck on the coaches whilst needing a piss is agony, once went from Wolverhampton to Alfreton whilst holding the 3 pints I'd sunk in, relief was fantastic. It's one of the reasons I stick to trains at any distances longer then 1hr 30 minutes.

Drinking 15 pints. :sick:

Why not just move onto spirits after 3 or 4? I dread to think how bloated and shit you'd feel after 15.

Never feel bloated but do have a loss of appetite, generally on the 'all-dayer' my desire to eat fades away to insignificance. Can only recall the last one (Preston away) where my one meal over the course of 36 hours was a sausage and bacon butty from the local café, beyond that I was loaded up with copious amounts of booze and the odd narcotic.

Niobium Knight
15-10-2015, 04:18 PM

wtf? How do you get stuck in a prostitute needing a pissing?

Davgooner
15-10-2015, 04:44 PM
You chief.