PDA

View Full Version : 'People Watching'

7om
12-10-2015, 01:57 AM
What is this bullshit?

The wife is away for a few weeks so being the sad bastard I am I googled 'things to do on your own' and the first three articles I read all suggested this. One even went as far as saying buy a newspaper, go to a coffee shop and pretend to read while you observe.

Are there really people out there who are this perverted? What in the actual fuck is going on?

John
12-10-2015, 02:34 AM
Sitting with a long drink and watching the world go past is a good way to kill an hour if you find yourself at a loose end, but actively going out with the intention of 'people watching' does seem a bit like a pervert's game.

7om
12-10-2015, 03:01 AM
Does me finding this phenomenon repulsive relieve me of my pervert status, John?

mugbull
12-10-2015, 03:06 AM
Imagine that whenever you go out, wherever you go, there's a guy sitting there with a coffee in hand whose sole purpose is watching and analyzing you and those around you.

Magic
12-10-2015, 06:45 AM
I do it. It's quite amusing, though really I am just looking for girls I would do illegal things to. I never did this when I was single.

Mazuuurk
12-10-2015, 07:22 AM
Sitting with a long drink and watching the world go past is a good way to kill an hour if you find yourself at a loose end, but actively going out with the intention of 'people watching' does seem a bit like a pervert's game.

Agreed. Airport layovers, hotel bars during business trips, etc, tend to be the setting.

Although in an hour I'll go through at least 3 drinks.

niko_cee
12-10-2015, 07:23 AM
I thought this was going to be a rant about 'guests'.

Lee
12-10-2015, 08:26 AM
I'm quite happy sitting out somewhere hot with a drink and watching the world go by. But I've never gone anywhere for the purpose of just watching people. That's a bit odd,

Giggles
12-10-2015, 08:29 AM
My phone means I no longer have to watch or engage with people when I'm stuck out on my own. What a wonderful world we live in.

Benny
12-10-2015, 08:39 AM
This is brilliant at airports, I love sitting with a beer just watching planes come and go and seeing stressed out parents or stag dos mooching around.

Mazuuurk
12-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Yeah I'll say, if it's one thing that definitely changes for the worse when becoming a parent it's travelling just in general.

I used to like being in airports a fair bit, and wouldn't mind long haul flight as I could just get comfortably drunk, play som FM, watch a film or two. Now, on the other hand, it's a complete fucking struggle from door to door, and whenever you arrive wherever, you just ask yourself if it was even worth the hassle to get there.

Magic
12-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Yeah I'll say, if it's one thing that definitely changes for the worse when becoming a parent it's travelling just in general.

I used to like being in airports a fair bit, and wouldn't mind long haul flight as I could just get comfortably drunk, play som FM, watch a film or two. Now, on the other hand, it's a complete fucking struggle from door to door, and whenever you arrive wherever, you just ask yourself if it was even worth the hassle to get there.

:D

You make it sound so appealing. We've never flown as a family, I just can't do the hassle. They're easy pleased I don't see why people have to spend lots of money for shit family orientated holidays. I'll wait until she's 4+ then we can go on a decent holiday. Unless we have another one, then teleportation will have probably been invented.

Mazuuurk
12-10-2015, 09:08 AM
You're right in doing so, I tell you.
Shorter flights, like within Europe, are fine, but we've flown to both Asia and the US during the past year.

The Asia flight was a 24-hour history with a 8-hour (!) layover in Beijing, which is one of the more horrible experiences I've ever had (sleep depravation combined with 8 hours to kill, a moany 6-month old, bags to carry around, no pram (!)... and the fucking plinky plonky elevator music they loop over and over in the airport that eventually made you half insane).

Why? A friend got married, and even though I bought tickets 6 months ahead of time that flight was the only one that didn't take over 30 (!) hours and didn't cost like over £2k per person at the time :cab:

Compared to that, the US trip was a breeze, we knew what to do and not then. But, it's still not comfortable, let alone enjoyable, so yeah I certainly cannot recommend it.

Magic
12-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Jesus Christ, I couldn't even stomach a 4 hour trip to Tenerife.

Why didn't you get babysitters?

Mazuuurk
12-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Jesus Christ, I couldn't even stomach a 4 hour trip to Tenerife.

Why didn't you get babysitters?

Well we went to Thailand for just over 2 weeks, and he was only 6 months, you don't really want to leave your 6-month-old for that long at that stage (at least not as both parents).

Besides the only people I'd feel comfortable leaving him with for that long would be my own parents, and they were also invited to the wedding.

Sam
12-10-2015, 09:19 AM
People watching is a holiday highlight. Nothing finer then sitting with a beer on the balcony with the sun blazing down and just watching the world go by. Always do this regardless whether I'm on a lads holiday or with the girlfriend, just chills me out.

Magic
12-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Well we went to Thailand for just over 2 weeks, and he was only 6 months, you don't really want to leave your 6-month-old for that long at that stage (at least not as both parents).

Besides the only people I'd feel comfortable leaving him with for that long would be my own parents, and they were also invited to the wedding.

Ah I see. Did you not fly with them then? An extra set of hands would have been handy.

Benny
12-10-2015, 09:27 AM
People watching is a holiday highlight. Nothing finer then sitting with a beer on the balcony with the sun blazing down and just watching the world go by. Always do this regardless whether I'm on a lads holiday or with the girlfriend, just chills me out.

Very much agree, sat in a plaza is another good place for it as well. In the shade, frosty glass of beer and sunglasses on so you can perv to your hearts content.

Mazuuurk
12-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Ah I see. Did you not fly with them then? An extra set of hands would have been handy.

It would have for sure yeah, but we flew down on different flights for a variety of reasons that I can't even remember now. They booked later and it was sold out, or something, I dunno.

Sam
12-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Very much agree, sat in a plaza is another good place for it as well. In the shade, frosty glass of beer and sunglasses on so you can perv to your hearts content.

Indeed. Had a prime location in Ibiza this year, overlooking the pool. Nothing finer when your coming down and beginning to feel rough then being able to perv over a couple of fine germans girl that are sunbathing. Even a more prime bonus when one of them decided to go topless.

phonics
12-10-2015, 09:39 AM
I people watch all the time. You see some cracking stuff that passes most people by.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
12-10-2015, 09:45 AM
This is good but I didn't think it was acknowledged as a thing to actively go and do.

Lewis
12-10-2015, 09:46 AM
I've started pointing out dads with their kids and saying to my mother 'Look at that paedophile there!' She looks every time, and then seethes for falling for it.

-james-
12-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Busy "shopping streets" in Glasgow are my favourite. Eclectic bunch, to put it nicely.