PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Bags

Lewis
11-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Has anybody fallen foul of this new rule (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34438030) about paying for carrier bags? Norwich Co-op used to charge for carrier bags, but they were filthy communists. The honest supermarkets always let you do what you like. Now even they're taking the piss and it's causing havoc. The Free-Born Englishman shouldn't have to carry a 'bag for life' around with him like some sort of twat. It's a disgrace.

Disco
11-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Well you don't have to do you, you can get one in the shop.

Giggles
11-10-2015, 12:26 PM
You never get used to it either. We pay 22c a for the shit carrier bags but I have to buy them every time I go on my own.

QE Harold Flair
11-10-2015, 12:27 PM
The self serve tills ask you to type in how many bags you take. I usually take 3 or 4 and claim to take 1, like a real hero standing up to this kind of oppression ought to.

Magic
11-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Been fine in Scotland you entitled moaning English cunts.

Davgooner
11-10-2015, 12:29 PM
I don't find it a disgrace to have to pay for them, but don't start presuming that we're all going to suddenly stop using the ones in store and instead carry around ones with us. The Co-Op up from work have always been cunts about bags, making you ask for one even when you've clearly got stacks of shit you can't carry without one. The other day I forgot about the charge and having already paid asked for one.

"Oh...they're 5p now." Yes, but I still fucking need one you cunt. Couldn't pay 5p by card so I seethed all the way back to work with shit stuffed in each pocket. Wankers.

I noticed Tesco for a couple of days had stopped putting them out on the self-serve tills and were making people request them. FUCK OFF.

Boydy
11-10-2015, 12:34 PM
We've had it for a while in NI now. It's been proper lol watching yoy lot shit yourselves about it.

The Merse
11-10-2015, 12:34 PM
I lived in Wales when the first charge their began (2010ish?). I'm one those people that a) could not give the first fuck about 5p and b) is very forgetful when it comes to such things remembering to re-use old bags. As such, I just bought new ones all the time, but it definitely stopped a lot of (tight) people doing so. So in my view - it's a good thing.

Waffdon
11-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Been fine in Scotland you entitled moaning English cunts.

This.

phonics
11-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Yeah we've had it across Europe for at least half a decade now. People kicking off over this is embarrassing.

Jimmy Floyd
11-10-2015, 12:45 PM
I don't mind paying 5p for a considerably better standard of bag.

Davgooner
11-10-2015, 12:46 PM
If it was implemented properly then there's absolutely no issue at all.

The Merse
11-10-2015, 12:46 PM
Pretty much. Lol at the sterotypes English have of the Welsh and Scots as tight for a start.

Giggles
11-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Pretty much. Lol at the sterotypes English have of the Welsh and Scots as tight for a start.

But WARS were fought for CARRIER BAGS.

Shindig
11-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Not bothered. I reuse bags anyway and got a free bag for life out of this.

John
11-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Yeah, we've had it for a while and it's no problem. As Dav says though, Tesco making you ask for your bags was a huge dick move, and presumably the greater outcry over it in England is what's made them stop. They were doing it here for the better part of two years, Dav, weep for me.

The real shits are McDonalds, since the five pence charge is explicitly for plastic carrier bags, but they've seen it as a chance to make a few extra quid off idiots and have started charging for those shitty paper bags they give you. Presumably Burger King and the rest do the same, but I don't have one of those in view of my house.

Harold, there's no alarm going off if you just tell it you didn't take any bags, so you're still paying five pence more than you have to for such heroism.

Giggles
11-10-2015, 12:59 PM
Charging for paper ones is a bit shit. We get the option of plastic for 22c or paper for free. Only in normal shops though, big supermarkets don't do the paper ones.

Lewis
11-10-2015, 01:27 PM
The point is that you used to just take the bags as you needed them, where as now (as John said) you have to ask for bags and it just slows everything down and makes the national life that little bit worse.

Baz
11-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Some MILF gave me a free top, top bag the other day, presumably in preparation for this. I usually don't buy enough stuff at once to warrant the use of a bag anyway.

Disco
11-10-2015, 01:30 PM
The point is that you used to just take the bags as you needed them, where as now (as John said) you have to ask for bags and it just slows everything down and makes the national life that little bit worse.

You're obviously shopping in the wrong places, there's just a pile of them whenever I've been since the change.

John
11-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Some MILF gave me a free top, top bag the other day, presumably in preparation for this. I usually don't buy enough stuff at once to warrant the use of a bag anyway.

Unless you're buying a bottle of juice and a sandwich you'd look a right twat walking out of Tesco with your shopping in your arms, as if you'd just been foraging for dinner.

Baz
11-10-2015, 01:33 PM
Yeah cos carrying things is ridiculous.

Byron
11-10-2015, 01:33 PM
Doesn't bother me. Most times, I'm either grabbing a bottle of Pepsi, or buying enough that a bag or two doesn't bother me.

Nice of Harold to fight the good fight by breaking the law mind you (and spending 5p in order to fight that good fight)

Toby
11-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Yeah, we've had it for a while and it's no problem. As Dav says though, Tesco making you ask for your bags was a huge dick move, and presumably the greater outcry over it in England is what's made them stop. They were doing it here for the better part of two years, Dav, weep for me.

The real shits are McDonalds, since the five pence charge is explicitly for plastic carrier bags, but they've seen it as a chance to make a few extra quid off idiots and have started charging for those shitty paper bags they give you. Presumably Burger King and the rest do the same, but I don't have one of those in view of my house.

Harold, there's no alarm going off if you just tell it you didn't take any bags, so you're still paying five pence more than you have to for such heroism.

It's not explicitly for plastic, paper is covered as well.

http://carrierbagchargescotland.org.uk/

Legistlation has been passed by Scottish Parliament that requires ALL retailers (food and non-food) to charge a minimum of 5p for each new single-use carrier bag (including paper, those made from some plant based materials and plastic) as of 20th October 2014. The aim is to encourage bag re-use and reduce the visible impact of litter.

I still occasionally forget but have a stash in the car that I normally grab before going in for anything subsantial.

Magic
11-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Same. If I forget I just put it all in the trolly and unload it at the car. I'd never take a basket to the car unlike some stupid English cunts in England.

Lee
11-10-2015, 03:32 PM
We've got loads of bags for life which we use anyway. They're much better. We can get a full weekly shop into two which is much less of a pain in the arse than pissing about with several flimsy plastic ones.

Toby
11-10-2015, 03:35 PM
When I worked in a shop there were always morons who took a bag for literally everything and I think as a sort of reversion to them I've never taken one unless I really need it. Unless it's a big weekly shop it's usually not hard to carry most things I buy. There's usually a bigger item you can stack the smaller stuff on top of.

Basically what I'm trying to say is lol at John being precious about how he looks carrying things.

Toby
11-10-2015, 03:36 PM
We've got loads of bags for life which we use anyway. They're much better. We can get a full weekly shop into two which is much less of a pain in the arse than pissing about with several flimsy plastic ones.

I never get Tesco's shitty ones any more. I figure if I'm having to pay anyway, I might as well get the better ones for 10p.

Smiffy
11-10-2015, 03:37 PM

SvN
11-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Sainsbury's have nailed this. At the self service, they have plenty of bags stocked and they have a barcode you can scan. They're also a ton better than the regular shit ones you get, so you don't even mind paying for it.

Tesco, on the other hand, have made a total arse of it. The Tesco Express by me has no bags at the self serve and you have to request them individually from staff who are busy serving someone else. It's a fucking shambles.

Smiffy
11-10-2015, 03:39 PM

Toby
11-10-2015, 03:40 PM
As if we needed any further confirmation that you're an old man.

Lee
11-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Marks & Spencer and Tesco self-service are good. Morrisons round here have upgraded theirs so they're good now too. ASDA's and Sainsbury's are shit..

Foe
11-10-2015, 03:41 PM
It's nothing more than a mild inconvenience having to remember to take bags. If you forget you buy a couple. I actually think it's a good thing now.

I've got a few heavier duty plastic bags stashed in my gym bag and boot of my car.

SvN
11-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Marks and Spencer and Boots are both the kings of self service. The added bonus of contactless payments only confirms it.

SvN
11-10-2015, 03:42 PM
It's nothing more than a mild inconvenience having to remember to take bags. If you forget you buy a couple. I actually think it's a good thing now.

I've got a few heavier duty plastic bags stashed in my gym bag and boot of my car.

That's fine for your weekly shop, but most of my time in Tesco Express is when I'm walking past and remember I need to pick something up.

Giggles
11-10-2015, 04:06 PM
The McDonalds one would really bug me. Is that the bah your food normally comes in? Can you bring a bag and refuse theirs like you can in a supermarket?

Jeet
11-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Soon they will be adding this 5% service charge shit for paying at the till.

Davgooner
11-10-2015, 04:47 PM
The Tesco down the road has now put out bags at the self-serve, so we cool. They're slightly better than the old ones as well.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 05:43 PM
I don't really understand what's going on with this.

All my Tesco deliveries before this came in came in really shit bags that I could barely get up the stairs before the arse of them fell out.

Got my first delivery since these rules came in yesterday and had to pay 40p to get it delivered in bags. Except I got about 15 bags and they were all of re-usable quality. @ 2.7p per bag have I won?

Giggles
11-10-2015, 05:46 PM

All my Tesco deliveries before this came in came in really shit bags that I could barely get up the stairs before the arse of them fell out.

Got my first delivery since these rules came in yesterday and had to pay 40p to get it delivered in bags. Except I got about 15 bags and they were all of re-usable quality. @ 2.7p per bag have I won?

If you're getting it delivered why do you need bags?

Magic
11-10-2015, 05:48 PM
I got click and collect, I never get bags but Tesco insist on putting certain things in fucking bags anyway. Replacements etc

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Because I live in a three story town house and I don't fancy hand balling £100+ of shopping up the stairs to the kitchen.

Davgooner
11-10-2015, 05:50 PM

If you're having your shopping delivered then you've already won, irrespective of the bags involved.

Magic
11-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Because I live in a three story town house and I don't fancy hand balling £100+ of shopping up the stairs to the kitchen.

That's only about three bags' worth, mate?

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 05:52 PM
That's only about three bags' worth, mate?

is it fuck.

Giggles
11-10-2015, 05:52 PM

When they delivered mine they used to bring the trays of shopping up and into the flat, and leave them on my table for me to unpack while he went back for the next one. You get extra club card points for not taking bags on a delivery too.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 05:55 PM
When they delivered mine they used to bring the trays of shopping up and into the flat, and leave them on my table for me to unpack while he went back for the next one. You get extra club card points for not taking bags on a delivery too.

Fair enough - might try that next time.

Lee
11-10-2015, 06:01 PM
£100 for a food shop? How long is that for? Our weekly shop cost us just under half that today and consisted mainly of fresh ingredients. I nearly cried at £48. I'd probably shit in an aisle if it came to £100.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 06:03 PM
It'll last me for 3-4 weeks, but I'll need to supplement it with fresh fuit, meat, veg milk etc. throughout that time.

It also includes household items and toiletries, which soon add up.

ScousePig
11-10-2015, 06:04 PM
The self serve tills ask you to type in how many bags you take. I usually take 3 or 4 and claim to take 1, like a real hero standing up to this kind of oppression ought to.

Otherwise known as stealing.

I type 0 in, but that's because I've either scanned the bag I've bought, or brought my own.

Giggles
11-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Those bits are the bitch. The food is normally fine.

EDIT: Yevrah on the household stuff.

Mike
11-10-2015, 06:19 PM

Ocado will pay you 5p for every back you give them back when they make their delivery. The huge stash I have means I could get a months shop paid for in bags :D

Smiffy
11-10-2015, 06:22 PM

phonics
11-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Of course Yevrah has his shopping delivered.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Of course Yevrah has his shopping delivered.

Why wouldn't anyone/everyone?

Giggles
11-10-2015, 06:48 PM
These days you're mad not to unless you live right at the supermarket.

Magic
11-10-2015, 06:55 PM
I live near a Sainsburys which is convenient but I click and collect rather than get delivered.

simon
11-10-2015, 07:05 PM
I think I'd always prefer going to the supermarket rather than having it delivered. I want to choose my own fruit/veg/meat rather than somebody just bundling the nearest lot in a bag.

simon
11-10-2015, 07:05 PM
I live near a Sainsburys which is convenient but I click and collect rather than get delivered.

What's the advantage in doing that over it being delivered?

Magic
11-10-2015, 07:06 PM
In fairness Tesco always pick the best and longest date stuff.

Davgooner
11-10-2015, 07:06 PM
I think most people still shop in-store for the fresh stuff.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 07:13 PM
What's the advantage in doing that over it being delivered?

About £1 to £4 depending on what time you would have had it delivered.

Lewis
11-10-2015, 07:22 PM
I used to love getting Asda deliveries in Norwich (except that time they substituted burgers for fucking mince). Using the quid time slots as well, and having them roll up at half nine, felt like a victory of sorts.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Despite deliberately ticking 'no substitutions' I still sometimes get substitutions.

It's the only thing wrong with the service really.

Lewis
11-10-2015, 07:27 PM
The geezer gave me a right face once when I'd clearly just bought twenty-five quid of washing powder/shampoo as a means of getting some Pepsi delivered.

Mike
11-10-2015, 07:27 PM
All deliveries are free if you use Morrisons. :cool2:

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 07:29 PM
The geezer gave me a right face once when I'd clearly just bought twenty-five quid of washing powder/shampoo as a means of getting some Pepsi delivered.

By 'the geezer' do you mean the delivery driver? If so, why would he care what you've purchased.

Lewis
11-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Sneaking admiration, I expect.

Giggles
11-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Can you not still, if you take the time, pick up to 10 options (ranked 1-10) as backups to each choice with Tesco? If you save them first time out they'll be there next time too.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Can you not still, if you take the time, pick up to 10 options (ranked 1-10) as backups to each choice with Tesco? If you save them first time out they'll be there next time too.

You might be able to, but that probably becomes more hassle than just driving to the store if you're doing that. Even if you can save your preferences.

I just get 90% of what I order from the offers sections which they have shitloads of, so substitutions don't usually happen.

Davgooner
11-10-2015, 07:35 PM
On the other side of this, Tesco/Sainsburys need to get their deliveries centralised and stop clogging their stores with twats pushing about those massive trolleys doing the online orders.

Boydy
11-10-2015, 08:21 PM

That seems like the worst of both worlds. You don't have the ability to browse the shop but you still have to leave the house to go get the stuff.

Magic
11-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I'm always out and about. It puts me in control rather than having to be stuck in on a delivery. I trust the pickers alot so I know they'll get me the best stuff.

Edit: I much prefer wandering around the shop, to be honest.

leedsrevolution
11-10-2015, 08:54 PM
I go to the shop but simply because I go to Aldi. £30 for a weekly shop for two people toiletries included - don't know why people go anywhere else.

Jimmy Floyd
11-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Because other places sell actual food.

Magic
11-10-2015, 09:01 PM
:sick:

People who prioritise cost over quality when it comes to food are awful. Especially when they have the money.

phonics
11-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Is Aldi that bad? We had one of those and a Lidl when I was in Swansea but they were horrific to get to walking it. Always seemed alright the few times I went there.

leedsrevolution
11-10-2015, 09:03 PM
I find the quality of the meat similar (if not slightly better) and the fruit/veg considerably better. Doesn't feel like I'm compromising any of the quality. In-fact I saw the Lurpak lorry delivering the "Aldi" brand butter which ironically tastes identical but is a lot cheaper, norpak :happycry:, genius.

Infact the only thing I think is worse is the Tomato Ketchup.

Giggles
11-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Is Aldi that bad? We had one of those and a Lidl when I was in Swansea but they were horrific to get to walking it. Always seemed alright the few times I went there.

They're not bad at all. Layout and shopping 'experience' aren't the same but the food is easily as good, if not better in some cases. I wouldn't touch meat in Tesco over Aldi. The fruit and veg is on par or slightly better too.

As for packaged stuff, in my work I've seen that almost everything is made the exact same way with the exact same stuff as the branded factories.

Magic
11-10-2015, 09:05 PM

It's fucking awful.

Adamski
11-10-2015, 09:07 PM
The quality in Aldi is of a similar if not better quality on the whole. Far far better price too.

The real losers are people who can't think for themselves and rely solely on the comforting power of brand marketing.

Magic
11-10-2015, 09:09 PM
It really isn't. You absolutely get what you pay for.

phonics
11-10-2015, 09:10 PM
I do remember the layout being shocking and it was so dark in there it was like I was in a GameStation or whatever that awful excuse for videogame stores were called.

Boydy
11-10-2015, 09:11 PM
I've never been in an Aldi but Lidl is grand.

Adamski
11-10-2015, 09:12 PM
If you're cooking everything using fresh ingredients then there's no difference in quality.

Tesco has a far better range of prepackaged foods and obviously a bigger selection on other things but for fundamentally cooking, there's no difference in quality.

John
If 'shopping experience' is a concern you should probably be going to nothing but farmer's markets and eating with the seasons. Similarly, saying that you wouldn't buy meat in one shop compared to another suggests you should just be going to a butcher's to get your fresh meat. Beef olives from Tesco are shit hot.

I went into Lidl once, because I was visiting someone in hospital and there was one right beside it. They didn't even have a fridge of sandwiches.

Lewis
Aldi is solid, but that knock-off butter is shit. It glows in the dark.

Magic
11-10-2015, 09:14 PM
If you're cooking everything using fresh ingredients then there's no difference in quality.

Tesco has a far better range of prepackaged foods and obviously a bigger selection on other things but for fundamentally cooking, there's no difference in quality.

Yes there is. If you can even find what you're looking for.

Giggles
11-10-2015, 09:15 PM
It really isn't. You absolutely get what you pay for.

You're paying for a name that has been built up in the years since before Aldi or Lidl existed, that's all. You're buying the exact same quality of stuff as those these days though as modern manufacturing dictates.
Factories just change a bag/box/jar/can when their run is done and do the Aldi stuff. Then they'll change again and do the Spar stuff, etc. The only differences will be small flavouring changes specified by the buyer.

You're also paying for the aforementioned experience, but if that's what you're into then you've bigger worries. Most Tesco staff are cunts anyway, the only difference is the Lidl cunts are quicker because they're not allowed converse and are monitored on item scans/minute.

Boydy
11-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Magic's probably the sort of person who will only eat Heinz ketchup and absolutely nothing else. And he probably eats with ketchup with everything.

Sir Andy Mahowry
11-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Aldi is the new Netto, it's awful.

John
11-10-2015, 09:20 PM
If he's only eating Heinz ketchup then his claim to being a middle class twat really is over and done with. Tiptree ketchup is the one you want.

Reg
11-10-2015, 09:23 PM
You'd have to be a right dick to complain about paying a few pence for a bag.

It's a good thing on its own, but a cynical and clever way by the government to distract people from the cuts to environmental investments.

Magic
11-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Magic's probably the sort of person who will only eat Heinz ketchup and absolutely nothing else. And he probably eats with ketchup with everything.

What a strange remark.

Reg
11-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Boydy and Toby seem quite obsessed with Magic.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 09:28 PM
What a strange remark.

It just highlights the inner upper-middle class side of Boydy. i.e. ketchup's for plebs.

Boydy
Eating ketchup with everything is a sign of someone who hasn't really moved on from childhood and is generally a bit afraid of the world. If they refuse to eat anything but Heinz, it's even worse because they need that comforting branding as well.

You display those sorts of signs in your posting.

Toby

:cab:

Okay.

Boydy
11-10-2015, 09:29 PM
It just highlights the inner upper-middle class side of Boydy. i.e. ketchup's for plebs.

Nah, it's not that. I like ketchup, but just with certain things.

Magic
11-10-2015, 09:30 PM

It's seething jealousy, clearly. They dislike the fact that someone they see as inferior is absolutely superior on every way and it simply doesn't make sense to them.

Boydy
11-10-2015, 09:30 PM

I just like making fun of his delusions of grandeur and general Hyacinth Bucket persona.

Magic
11-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Eating ketchup with everything is a sign of someone who hasn't really moved on from childhood and is generally a bit afraid of the world. If they refuse to eat anything but Heinz, it's even worse because they need that comforting branding as well.

You display those sorts of signs in your posting.

:D

If you must know I have Sainsbury Organic tomato sauce, and I never really use it. The little one likes it.

phonics
11-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Ketchup and peas. Winning combo.

Sir Andy Mahowry
11-10-2015, 09:35 PM
If he's only eating Heinz ketchup then his claim to being a middle class twat really is over and done with. Tiptree ketchup is the one you want.

I'm also a fan of this one:

http://www.epicurium.co.uk/images/GBSauce_Tomato.png

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 09:36 PM
What in the fuck is that Mahow? :sick:

"Proper" Tomato Sauce? They saw you coming.

Giggles
11-10-2015, 09:37 PM
I used to love Daddies but can't get it any more. I hear it's going off the market now anyway.

Sir Andy Mahowry
11-10-2015, 09:38 PM
What in the fuck is that Mahow? :sick:

"Proper" Tomato Sauce? They saw you coming.

The branding is absolutely woeful but it's really tasty, it has a nice garlic kick to it.

simon
11-10-2015, 10:20 PM
What are acceptable things to have ketchup with?

Just so I know.

Niobium Knight
11-10-2015, 10:20 PM
I was looking at those reusable woven bags in Tesco today. Some are over £4 and have really shitty slogans on them. So I said "fuck that" and paid for a 5p plastic one.

Davgooner
12-10-2015, 07:09 AM
Aldi is a quality gaff these days. No word on their current approach to carrier bags though.

Mazuuurk
12-10-2015, 07:24 AM
I thought this was about the carry-on on airplanes. Dont have an opinion on this, they've always cost money in Sweden.

Giggles
12-10-2015, 08:07 AM
http://www.theladbible.com/articles/guy-plays-game-with-tesco-after-they-put-security-tags-on-baskets

:cool:

Toby
12-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Wait, people have been stealing trolleys and baskets since it came in? How have the English managed to be bigger scumbags about this than even Scotland?

Giggles
12-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Wait, people have been stealing trolleys and baskets since it came in? How have the English managed to be bigger scumbags about this than even Scotland?

I think it's just a company policy thing rather than a reaction to people stealing them. They normally bring in the basket tags along with the bag charge.

Magic
12-10-2015, 08:21 AM

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/supermarket-shoppers-response-to-carrier-bag-charge-asda-be-seen-to-be-believed-1.656607

Toby
12-10-2015, 08:59 AM
I think it's just a company policy thing rather than a reaction to people stealing them. They normally bring in the basket tags along with the bag charge.

I have never seen a security tag on a shopping basket, and we've had bag charges for about a year now. People are so shit.

Weaver
12-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Aldi is a quality gaff these days. No word on their current approach to carrier bags though.

They were charging 3p per bag in my local Aldi, so I reckon they'll just knock it up to 5p and carry on as usual. Their selections of meat are worth the charge though.

Giggles
12-10-2015, 09:31 AM
I have never seen a security tag on a shopping basket, and we've had bag charges for about a year now. People are so shit.

The €2 to get a trolley here is so people won't just abandon them when they empty them into the car. The only thing is that a Brit 2p works as well and it's their own fault for having far too many of those fucking family spaces forcing you into the next postcode to park.

Pen
12-10-2015, 02:09 PM
All this commotion over a few pence seems odd. We've had this stuff in place for years (as seems everybody else) and whilst I generally use canvas bags as you only need a few of those for your weeks shopping, buying a bag or two for bin bags for 15 cents is the least of my worries when I'm doing my shopping. I hated the bags you get in England anyway as they can hold about a kilo before ripping and breaking.

As for the debate about shops, I found that bigger Sainsbury's had the best selection for my shopping needs, but the quality isn't really any different to Lidl or Aldi.

QE Harold Flair
12-10-2015, 02:16 PM
I think it's the principle. People don't like being taxed when the tax will probably not be used in any kind of effective manner. No kind of hobo would care about 5p, not even the littlest one.

Toby
12-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Where's the money going in England? In Scotland the retailer keeps it (and a lot have donated proceeds to charity). No money is going to the government here.

Pen
12-10-2015, 03:49 PM
I think it's the principle. People don't like being taxed when the tax will probably not be used in any kind of effective manner. No kind of hobo would care about 5p, not even the littlest one.

What kind of principle entails getting free stuff in a shop? If anything, the fact that people can't take as many bags as they like will end up saving you money as your tax money is currently being used in dealing with the trash those bags produce.

Magic
12-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Plastic isn't biodegradable, I'm all for it being an ecowanker and all that. Now if we could just get the packaging of products sorted we'd be laughing.

Disco
12-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Major lollage at anyone who thinks they weren't paying for the bags all along anyway.

Yevrah
12-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Major lollage at anyone who thinks they weren't paying for the bags all along anyway.

Given we're now manifestly paying more, I don't see what relevance that has.

Disco
12-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Not a lot, apart from we're now paying twice.

randomlegend
13-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Someone's just shared this on my facebook:

http://i.imgur.com/uZNYCgy.jpg

Terribly written, but is there anything in it?

John
13-10-2015, 04:41 PM
I've noticed that a couple of times aswell. Absolute nonsense.

Niobium Knight
13-10-2015, 06:17 PM
I think it's important to stop using plastic as much as possible, especially silly things like plastic bags which get thrown away all the time. Fish like tuna now have significant quantities of micro particles of plastic in then thanks to all the plastic waste which has collected in the oceans,

simon
13-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Someone's just shared this on my facebook:

http://i.imgur.com/uZNYCgy.jpg

Terribly written, but is there anything in it?

I've seen this. It's been met with widespread outrage, as if Cameron is some kind of Hitler 2.0 and this is the first step of his masterplan.

niko_cee
13-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Without wanting to delve into the finer details of clearly such a well researched and reasoned piece, how does that first bit about "dem bags being adverts wot" work with the more expensive bags you can buy which almost invariably also carry the branding of the associated seller on them?

Presumably whatever law that has brought this about was actually passed years ago, with this being the designated implementation date for England.

John
13-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Without wanting to delve into the finer details of clearly such a well researched and reasoned piece, how does that first bit about "dem bags being adverts wot" work with the more expensive bags you can buy which almost invariably also carry the branding of the associated seller on them?

It doesn't. Using the same logic they'd need to have some masking tape on hand to cover up the branding on some Tesco toilet roll incase you dared walk out the shop with it on show.

Yevrah
13-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Outrage against the Tories on Facebook really is the gift that keeps on giving.

HOW VERY DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir Andy Mahowry
14-10-2015, 02:29 AM
Is it true that you shouldn't be charged if the bag is being used for raw meat or fish?

Sainsburys owe me 5p, the wankers.

Toby
14-10-2015, 06:39 AM
Is it true that you shouldn't be charged if the bag is being used for raw meat or fish?

You shouldn't be charged for the plastic "bags" used at deli/butchers counters, in that you need some sort of cover, but if you then put that in another carrier bag it's on you.

Luca
14-10-2015, 06:43 AM
We've had this in Canada for a while now, and, true to Stuart Keate's words, it didn't cause much of a stir.

niko_cee
14-10-2015, 07:32 AM

Yeah. I've never really got that. Why do they put packaged meat into little bags at the checkout before giving it back to you? It seems a seriously outdated thing to do. Is it really a cross-contamination thing? Surely that could occur in the trolley as you push it all around together? Always seems to be older checkout folk that do it as well, although with the miracle of quick check I rarely encounter them these days.

Niobium Knight
14-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Yeah. I've never really got that. Why do they put packaged meat into little bags at the checkout before giving it back to you? It seems a seriously outdated thing to do. Is it really a cross-contamination thing? Surely that could occur in the trolley as you push it all around together? Always seems to be older checkout folk that do it as well, although with the miracle of quick check I rarely encounter them these days.

It's to give added protection against the packaging bursting and covering your shopping in liquid e coli

Niobium Knight
14-10-2015, 08:38 AM
What are acceptable things to have ketchup with?

Just so I know.

Chicken nuggets
Oven chips
Fish Fingers

wullie
14-10-2015, 08:39 AM
I like how the charge must be mentioned three times to become law, a system inspired by Beetlejuice.