PDA

View Full Version : The Travel Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Ian
10-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Because a) we don't have one yet unless it has a difference name/I'm an idiot and b) this time next week I'll be just on my way to Cairo. Should go to one of these impromptu marches, the foreign office reckon murder, rape and sexual assault happens at them.

Spoonsky
10-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Oh shit, I'd love to go to Cairo. Not now though. Are you visiting your dad or are you just more adventurous than most of the folk on here?

In two hours I'm leaving to New England for the week, as my aunt just moved to Vermont (the land of Bernie). It'll be good fun, also seeing my friend who's going to Brown and family friends who live in Connecticut. Hopefully the fall colors will be nice too.

Yevrah
10-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Looks a bit grim at the moment...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Godspeed.

Kikó
10-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Berlin next week, open to recommendations for restaurants and then Hong Kong at the start of November, similar story there. Be great to have a few places to have in my back pocket when I rock up at both.

John
10-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Burgermeister in Berlin.

Giggles
10-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Big Stuff.

Ian
11-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Oh shit, I'd love to go to Cairo. Not now though. Are you visiting your dad or are you just more adventurous than most of the folk on here?

Visiting my dad. I've already done some of the tourist-y shit last time I was there so I'm not too fussed about that. I imagine there'll be a lot of security there anyway given the big museum is now being built near Giza as well and I would quite like to go to the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities before the one my dad's working on renders it redundant but that'll be a day-to-day decision as to whether I'm actually going to do that.

Benny
11-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Is your dad Egyptian?

I'm off to Brussels in a couple of weeks and then Poland in December, which I can't wait for as it's been on my 'to go' list for years.

Ian
11-10-2015, 10:52 AM
No, he just works there.

-james-
11-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Have the opportunity to go to Hong Kong in December. Never really somewhere I've been arsed going, is it any good?

Lee
11-10-2015, 11:48 AM
A mate of mine goes quite regularly as his sister lives out there. He absolutely loves it. Just go; it's somewhere new.

Jimmy Floyd
11-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I liked Hong Kong. If you can overcome the humidity (probably better in December than when I went in July) and the smell of cooking oil that pervades the place, it's well worth a viist.

Lewis
11-10-2015, 11:59 AM
My cousin went in July/August, and he said that you're just sweating constantly (he isn't even fat). You must have had a shocker in your black jumpers.

Pen
11-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Berlin next week, open to recommendations for restaurants and then Hong Kong at the start of November, similar story there. Be great to have a few places to have in my back pocket when I rock up at both.

I had possibly the best stake I've ever had at Grill Royal (Friedrichstrasse 105B). Their prices start from about 20€ and the most expensive stuff was several hundred euros. Also, if they still have tables, La Soupe Popular is meant to be very good.

The Merse
11-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Hmmm... May be in Berlin in a fortnight so try one of the recommendations here too.

It's 50-50 at the moment as to whether a couple of mates get organised and we go to Malta for a bit of sun or whether they fail do so and I visit a few European cities. Thinking Berlin, Barcelona and Amsterdam.

Kikó
11-10-2015, 02:45 PM
I had possibly the best stake I've ever had at Grill Royal (Friedrichstrasse 105B). Their prices start from about 20€ and the most expensive stuff was several hundred euros. Also, if they still have tables, La Soupe Popular is meant to be very good.

Cheers for this and other recommendations. Work budget is 50e a night so don't want to be too extravagant.

niko_cee
12-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Off to Portugal on Friday, Sagres specifically. Have absolutely no knowledge of the language beyond obrigado. I'm decent enough at Spanish though, for whatever worth that will be. Looking forward to some sardinas. Two kids though. :sick:

Benny
12-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Portugal in October is a bold choice.

Jimmy Floyd
12-10-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm also off to Portugal on Friday. See you at the airport.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
12-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Looks a bit grim at the moment...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Godspeed.

My thinking is if it's an area that requires such security measures in the first place then it isn't somewhere I want to be as a foreigner.

Cyprus for me on Wednesday and it's still 30 degrees, can't wait.

niko_cee
12-10-2015, 11:44 AM
I've actually realised I'm flying on Saturday, sorry Jim.

£40 per bag on Easyjet, the robbing bastards.

Jimmy Floyd
12-10-2015, 12:17 PM
I'm also with Stelios although I've averted his £40 charge by instead paying £60 for golf clubs, a sort of Wanker Tax I suppose. I thus have to stuff all my belongings into that or take them in my hand luggage like a low level drug runner.

John
12-10-2015, 12:18 PM
I've actually realised I'm flying on Saturday, sorry Jim.

£40 per bag on Easyjet, the robbing bastards.

Was that a surcharge for moving the flight?

niko_cee
12-10-2015, 01:18 PM
No, but it is there and back for each bag I think. This seems to be one of the flights at the higher end of their bag cost spectrum.

Pen
12-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Cheers for this and other recommendations. Work budget is 50e a night so don't want to be too extravagant.

Both of those should be easily doable for 50€. You'll eat very well with that kind of money in Berlin. I actually have a few more decent ones saved on my phone if you're there for more than few days and need more suggestions.

Lee
12-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Spent today in the Peak District, which was lovely. First time I've been which is daft given it's only just over an hour's drive from here. We walked six miles which is about enough to knock me out for the evening. Which is a good job as I have to be up at a silly time tomorrow to get to London for a work thing.

Yevrah
12-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Generally speaking do flights (if they're still available) get cheaper the closer you get to Christmas than they are for that period now?

niko_cee
12-10-2015, 10:25 PM
No.

John Arne
12-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Definately no. Always book as early as possible.

Yevrah
12-10-2015, 11:02 PM
So last minute deals on unsubscribed flights aren't a thing at Christmas?

phonics
12-10-2015, 11:05 PM
I think that's more of a U.S. thing than over here.

The Merse
12-10-2015, 11:39 PM
Fuck. Really wish I didn't have to attend a meeting in London on Thursday. Otherwise I'd be flying to Oslo to visit a mate for a fiver...

http://oi57.tinypic.com/29xj8fk.jpg

Fucking ridiculous. Intend to make more use of it next year should there be similar fares mid week.

Yevrah
12-10-2015, 11:53 PM
What site's that Merse?

I never find anything that cheap on Skyscanner.

The Merse
13-10-2015, 12:00 AM
What site's that Merse?

I never find anything that cheap on Skyscanner.

Ryanair, after initially checking out the Friday one on Skyscanner.

I just found the 'everywhere' destination on Skyscanner :drool:

London to Olso £5 two days and onto Berlin, £14, then Rome £14, then Barcelona £8

If only I were more flexible on dates - I've picked the worst time to get 6 working days off as they're sandwiched between a non-negotiable overnight meeting and a conference. :panda:

The Merse
13-10-2015, 12:32 AM
The proposed Itinerary should my mates fail to get their shit together, taking in a couple of visits to pals, good chance of a shag and just generally - £187 to take in 4 capital cities across Europe (5 if you count Brussels but I'll only be transiting with a quick couple of beers there, en route to Amsterdam - I've been before as it was myself and the exes first trip abroad so need to re-tread old ground, there's little to revisit for on this trip for sure).

http://oi58.tinypic.com/3483wxj.jpg

I'd be staying with a mate in Oslo, so just hostels for Berlin, Amsterdam and Barca to find - imagine that £150 ought to cover it fine, may use a groupon deal for a proper hotel in Barca at the end, there's normally one there.

phonics
13-10-2015, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't fly half those airlines which is probably why I've not travelled as much as I should.

Yevrah
13-10-2015, 12:35 AM
Given the price and the short distances involved, Ryanair's fine.

phonics
13-10-2015, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't fly Megabus to the shops.

The Merse
13-10-2015, 01:03 AM
That's a bus, you berk! Hence it taking 3 hours from Brussels to Amsterdam. Otherwise it was £100 extra to fly direct.

Got single rooms sorted for Berlin and Barca for a total of 5 of the nights, right in the centre in both instances. Amsterdam will be a mixed dorm in a hostel. I'll be stoned on at least two of those nights so I'm not worried about that.

So - total of £382 for an eleven night tour of Europe. Quite pleased with that.

Spav
13-10-2015, 02:53 AM
The planning has started for a 6-8 week trip to Europe for my family of three - late August to mid/late October 2016. England and Spain are definites due to my wife's family which will take care of two weeks, but the rest of the time is open for travelling and sightseeing. With my son being 10 years old by the time of this trip it will probably be our last big holiday before his schooling starts to get a bit more serious.

Andy
13-10-2015, 06:36 AM
On a 5 day cruise to Amsterdam and Brugge for my 30th in six weeks. Should be fun, never been to Brugge, hoping to find a few decent boozers and explore the Chrostmas markets there.

Raoul Duke
13-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Brugge is lovely

Mazuuurk
13-10-2015, 07:54 AM
It's called Bruges you fucking hipsters. Only morons walk around saying stuff "how it's pronounced over there".

You don't walk around pronouncing "Paris" as "Pah-rii" do you?

Benny
13-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Brugge is awesome, if a little quiet. Take the (short) train to Ghent too, much livelier. Here's a picture I took of the ice rink at Brugge.

http://i.imgur.com/mxIM3ja.jpg

Mazuuurk
13-10-2015, 08:10 AM
:nono:

Toby
13-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Is Chrostmas a local thing too?

Spoonsky
14-10-2015, 12:27 AM
New England is cool, the fall colors are brilliant. There's something about old industrial-style American towns that I find so exotic as well.

Vermont tomorrow, everything I've heard about it makes it sound amazing so far. The land of Bernie :cool:

Andy
14-10-2015, 06:21 AM
Is Chrostmas a local thing too?

I really need to stop posting on my phone.

Andy
14-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Brugge is awesome, if a little quiet. Take the (short) train to Ghent too, much livelier. Here's a picture I took of the ice rink at Brugge.

http://i.imgur.com/mxIM3ja.jpg

That looks awesome. :cool:

Hopefully all the Christmas stuff is all setup by the end of November.

Sam
14-10-2015, 08:15 AM
It's called Bruges you fucking hipsters. Only morons walk around saying stuff "how it's pronounced over there".

You don't walk around pronouncing "Paris" as "Pah-rii" do you?

Offense would taken if people didn't pronounce Wolverhampton in it's correct form.

'Town'

Benny
14-10-2015, 08:29 AM
That looks awesome. :cool:

Hopefully all the Christmas stuff is all setup by the end of November.

I think they put on the net when the christmas markets start, so a quick Google will tell you. Get some of the winter Grimbergen beer, it's lush.

Luke Emia
15-10-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm off to Berlin next Wednesday. Anyone been? If so know anywhere decent to eat?

Pen
15-10-2015, 06:36 PM
I think quite a few of us have been there in the recent past and I recommended a few places for Kiko on the previous page.

Restaurants:

Hamburger Heaven Kiosk - Gaeferstraße 93

Pinoy - Danckelmannstraße 49

Devil's kitchen - Gaeferstraße 11

Manouche (coffee) - Grimmstraße 23

La Soupe Populaire - Prnzlauerallee 242 (call +493044319680 for tables)

Balkci Ergun - Lüneburger Straße 382

Mädchen ohne Abitur - Körtestraße 5 (18-01)

Grill Royal - Friedrichstraße 105b ( steaks/20€ 18-03)

Schneeweiß - Simplonstraße 16

Cafe Sankt Oberholz - Rosenthaler Straße 72a

Thomas-Eck - Pestalozzistraße 25

Karun - Pestalozzistraße 25

Ho Vang - Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße 17

Lebensmittel - Rochstraße 2

Burgermeister - Oberbaumstraße 2

I still had those on a note on my phone. They are from all over the more central districts, so hopefully they'll be of some us to you. I went to quite a few of those during my stay there and didn't really get disappointed with food during that trip. If you're just looking for a cheap lunch, Berlin is really good for a Doner kebab :drool:

Ian
18-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Day 1: Not dead yet. :drool:

Luca
18-10-2015, 06:55 AM
I think quite a few of us have been there in the recent past and I recommended a few places for Kiko on the previous page.

Restaurants:

Hamburger Heaven Kiosk - Gaeferstraße 93

Pinoy - Danckelmannstraße 49

Devil's kitchen - Gaeferstraße 11

Manouche (coffee) - Grimmstraße 23

La Soupe Populaire - Prnzlauerallee 242 (call +493044319680 for tables)

Balkci Ergun - Lüneburger Straße 382

Mädchen ohne Abitur - Körtestraße 5 (18-01)

Grill Royal - Friedrichstraße 105b ( steaks/20€ 18-03)

Schneeweiß - Simplonstraße 16

Cafe Sankt Oberholz - Rosenthaler Straße 72a

Thomas-Eck - Pestalozzistraße 25

Karun - Pestalozzistraße 25

Ho Vang - Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße 17

Lebensmittel - Rochstraße 2

Burgermeister - Oberbaumstraße 2

I still had those on a note on my phone. They are from all over the more central districts, so hopefully they'll be of some us to you. I went to quite a few of those during my stay there and didn't really get disappointed with food during that trip. If you're just looking for a cheap lunch, Berlin is really good for a Doner kebab :drool:

I will add to this Marjellchen on Mommsenstraße 9, by the Savignyplatz S-bahn.

John Arne
18-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Back home after my "summer" hiatus in the UK.
Bloody love it.

Jimmy Floyd
20-10-2015, 10:59 AM
The Algarve is a funny one. It's not the sort of place I'd normally go and the foreign owned resorts and golf courses have obviously had loads of money ploughed into them, but everything in between seems to be a complete run down third world craphole.

Benny
20-10-2015, 11:14 AM
I stayed in Olhos D'Agua when I went and it was quite run down in the surrounding areas, we ventured onto 'The Strip' one evening (meeting her aunt and uncle who live there) and it was hell hole. The actual Old Town is nice though, have some nice memories of that place.

John
20-10-2015, 11:20 AM
Anywhere near Alvor, Floyd? There's a lovely seafood restaurant there called 'The Captain's Table'. Fresh tiger prawns. :drool:

Jimmy Floyd
20-10-2015, 11:31 AM
I was further east, about halfway between Faro and Portimão.

The best thing we found was a peri peri chicken place that basically just dumped as much glorious chicken, chips and beer as they could find on our table for seemingly no money. There are probably loads of hidden gems like that but the reason they're hidden is that no buildings seem to have been either constructed or renovated since about 1963.

The 'strip' in Albufeira was laughable, like a sort of parody theme park of scummy English people.

John
20-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Yeah, Albufeira is a shithole. I stayed there when we played Sporting a couple of years back, and while it was enjoyable enough because basically everyone was there for the same reason and the bars were falling over themselves to pander to our tastes (with the exception of 'Corkys', a very conspicuous Celtic bar), you could tell it would be hell on earth at any normal time. My cousin got a bite to eat from a sort of kiosk thing with grease running down the outside of it, which seemed like an error right away, and it looked like some plastic reality creation from a seventies horror film. The place was teeming with what appeared to be locals though, so presumably it was a decent version of whatever it was supposed to be.

There is a lovely Indian there though, about a hundred yards from the top of the strip. I forget the name of it, but I'm sure it had 'oven' in it somewhere.

Benny
20-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I just remember being taken to a pub/bar thing for a drink and the floors being really sticky, smelling of stale wood and flies buzzing round all the drinks. Villamoura was pretty nice as well, someone working at our resort told us a lot of footballers park their yachts etc. there, which isn't hard to believe as the place was chockfull of what might as well have been warships, the fucking size of them. Also saw a black Land Rover with 'ST3V1E' with the licence plate, coinciding with Stevie G being on holiday there at the same time :sherlock:

Ian
23-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Heard a massive bang this morning but when I went to the window I couldn't see anything happening so went back to bed.

Turns out four police/security got injured trying and failing to defuse a bomb outside a hotel along the road.

Sam
23-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Yeah, Albufeira is a shithole. I stayed there when we played Sporting a couple of years back, and while it was enjoyable enough because basically everyone was there for the same reason and the bars were falling over themselves to pander to our tastes (with the exception of 'Corkys', a very conspicuous Celtic bar), you could tell it would be hell on earth at any normal time. My cousin got a bite to eat from a sort of kiosk thing with grease running down the outside of it, which seemed like an error right away, and it looked like some plastic reality creation from a seventies horror film. The place was teeming with what appeared to be locals though, so presumably it was a decent version of whatever it was supposed to be.

There is a lovely Indian there though, about a hundred yards from the top of the strip. I forget the name of it, but I'm sure it had 'oven' in it somewhere.

Got a 'family' holiday for a week starting on Tuesday.

What exactly is there to do there? Girlfriend isn't one for getting drunk so that's the strip out of the question, and it's with all her family (a combined 7 kids.. :|) so I'm torn what to look forward to if anything as it generally doesn't look like much happens or will even be happening.

Lee
23-10-2015, 04:13 PM
I like Albufeira. It isn't paradise but it isn't what I'd call it a shithole. Mind you I only spent three or four nights there whilst staying a bit further down the coast.

Jimmy Floyd
23-10-2015, 04:29 PM
It's not a shithole in the Coventry sense. It's just absolutely laughable.

One bar we walked past tried to lure us in on the promise of 'free music'.

Luke Emia
25-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Got back yesterday from Berlin. Was great if anyone goes I would say go to Pratergarten found it on the telegraph website was really good in there. Also went up the TV tower and ate food was ok but it was expensive for what it was.

First day was knackering. We had a tour of the Reichstag which was brilliant some really interesting stuff in there. I'd recommend a bunker tour if anyone goes there as well really interesting.

Oh and beer and coke? Don't know where that came from but it's a taste sensation.

Spoonsky
25-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Forgot to post about it at the time but New England is absolutely lovely. There's something about the old industrial-looking American towns with white church steeples that I find very exotic. And Vermont is actually a utopia in mid-October, if I do a gap year I'll probably move to my aunt's farm there for a few months.

Pepe
25-10-2015, 09:36 PM
I'll agree with that.

Spoonsky
25-10-2015, 09:38 PM
We also had the bizarre experience of driving straight through Boston on the way to Vermont. I've still never been there but at least now I know what it looks like!

Pepe
25-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Should've stopped there, Boston is ace.

Luca
25-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I'll second that. Boston is wonderful.

Benny
25-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Brussels is still a shithole, nothing to do there except for eat, drink and buy chocolate.

Spoonsky
25-10-2015, 09:48 PM
We didn't really have time, sadly. I'll definitely get there at some point especially if I'm in school out on the East Coast.

The Merse
26-10-2015, 06:18 AM
Arrived in Olso on Friday, it's my second time here staying with a mate so I avoided a lot of the stuff I'd done before, and have been enjoying the more competitive krone. It was around 8:1 gbp when I visited in 2009, so having dropped to around 12:1 at the time of exchanging I've been out drinking and eating the last few nights without it costing a fortune.

Craft beer has become massive here. Which is nice, and almost everywhere to go out is fashioned on east London as far as I can tell.

Off to Berlin this afternoon. Also quite excited to look at the forecast for Amsterdam (sunny, 14-16) and Barcelona (sunny, 21) over the days I'm there.

Kikó
26-10-2015, 08:48 AM
Nice trip. I'm weighing up Oslo for my birthday in March.

Hong Kong next Saturday for me.

Ian
26-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Did you get a chance to try anything by Lervig, Merse? The two of theirs I've had were pretty good.

No more explosions here since the one a few days ago. :drool:

Toby
26-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Have you been to Bergen, Merse? And if so how did Oslo compare?

Sam
26-10-2015, 10:00 AM
It's not a shithole in the Coventry sense. It's just absolutely laughable.

One bar we walked past tried to lure us in on the promise of 'free music'.

Sounds promising, I'm always a fan of a crappy run down bar. Apparently we are stopping near a brilliant curry house.

Either way, I'm just looking forward to the week off.

Henry
26-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Behold, mothers. This is following my brief trip to Austria. Italy will also be included by end of year.

http://map1.maploco.com/visited-states/ml/AZ-CA-NV-NY.png

http://map1.maploco.com/visited-countries/ml/m67kb7c0e8-b5fytnwf7k-b9c10k0idc-b33r639lhc-2rrvthoagw.gif

http://map1.maploco.com/visited-europe/ml/AT-BE-CZ-DE-ES-FR-GB-IE-NL-PT.gif

phonics
26-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Brussels is still a shithole, nothing to do there except for eat, drink and buy chocolate.

Yeah it's rubbish, right? It's basically just a bunch of NGOs, Lobbyists and cobbled pavement.

Giggles
26-10-2015, 12:40 PM
What more would one want than eating, drinking, and chocolate?

phonics
26-10-2015, 12:41 PM
It's just boring. If you're not stuck in Brussels it's worth getting the train down to Gent and partying down there as it's a student city.

Giggles
26-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Ah you see, I'm a bit long in the tooth for partying so that's why the likes of Brussels is spot on. The student vibe in Leuven is good though, and not too wild either.

Benny
26-10-2015, 01:01 PM
It's utterly dull to walk around, the buildings aren't even particularly interesting either.

Raoul Duke
26-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Why do you keep going back there if you hate it?

I think it's alright. Belgium's so small though it's easy to just mooch to somewhere else. Try Knokke for a little trip out to the coast.

Lee
27-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Just boked next year's holiday. Two weeks in Corfu (daytrip to Albania already being planned :cool:). I've not been before but it will be hot, the hotel has fantastic reviews and I'm paying less than £400 each which I'm fucking beaming about. I only have £550 to pay off which I'll get done fairly quickly. I now have plenty of financial breathing space to finish off paying for stuff for Tromso in February and to book Rome for September.

I got similar done last year (the destinations being Reykjavik, Croatia for two weeks, then Barcelona) but I booked stuff later and paid more so it was tighter. It will all be relatively comfortable this time around. I fucking love holidays.

Benny
28-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Why do you keep going back there if you hate it?

I think it's alright. Belgium's so small though it's easy to just mooch to somewhere else. Try Knokke for a little trip out to the coast.

I've been twice, and for reasons other than visiting the place as a city break.

Ian
28-10-2015, 03:24 PM
http://www.electromac.net/images/Slide/Sama.jpg

You never told us you're big in Egypt, Samadini, you sly dog. :cool:

The Merse
28-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Did you get a chance to try anything by Lervig, Merse? The two of theirs I've had were pretty good.

No more explosions here since the one a few days ago. :drool:

No I didn't- regrettably I don't think I had a single local beer, bit of a shame. But had plenty of American, British and Belgian ale.

John
28-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Sounds promising, I'm always a fan of a crappy run down bar. Apparently we are stopping near a brilliant curry house.

Either way, I'm just looking forward to the week off.

I mentioned it before, but I've since remembered it's called 'Clay Oven', and it's about a hundred yards from the top of the 'strip'.

The Merse
28-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Have you been to Bergen, Merse? And if so how did Oslo compare?

Only Oslo. My mate did his national service in Bergen and was there for university too. But the time I'd made my first trip over to Norway he'd got a job in Oslo.

Certainly the right time to go. Inflation seems to have not really occurred I the 6 years since I was there last, whilst the oil price fall has really damaged the krone so it's 8-1 where I last paid 12-1. It's a major benefit as it's still pretty expensive as it is.

Berlin was fucking brilliant, but I was majorly disappointed to miss out on SO36, or at least to turn up when they're doing a monthly literature reading night. It's about the most legendary punk club in Europe. Luckily I managed to make the 3 mile walk to the newer but still brilliant Clash instead. Second night took me to Brandenburg, checkpoint Charlie, all that jazz. Being a (once a upon a time) history and politics student, that was my obvious highlight. I'll be going back for a good long stay again, two nights was only ever meant to get me a taster. The transport system is confusing as fuck at first mind.

In Amsterdam now, settling down to a curry before hitting up a coffee shop.

Adamski
28-10-2015, 09:16 PM
I've got two nights stay to use in The Charles in Munich so looking at heading out in May for our anniversary. Flights are a bit of a pain (none go direct from Glasgow) so I'm thinking of doubling it up with another city and doing an internal flight from there and back to Munich.

Choices so far are:

Brussels
Rotterdam
Düsseldorf
Cologne
Vienna
Prague
Copenhagen

Anyone any other suggestions relatively close to Glasgow and Munich? Any of those you would recommend over the others?

Benny
28-10-2015, 09:37 PM

^^

The Merse
28-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Agreed. I enjoyed it, but being there for a few hours today reminded me that we were running out of things to do after a couple of days.

Jimmy Floyd
28-10-2015, 09:51 PM
I've got two nights stay to use in The Charles in Munich so looking at heading out in May for our anniversary. Flights are a bit of a pain (none go direct from Glasgow) so I'm thinking of doubling it up with another city and doing an internal flight from there and back to Munich.

Choices so far are:

Brussels
Rotterdam
Düsseldorf
Cologne
Vienna
Prague
Copenhagen

Anyone any other suggestions relatively close to Glasgow and Munich? Any of those you would recommend over the others?
Use all of it on Munich and suck up a drive/bus/train to another UK airport. Brilliant place which smashes all of the above, although I've not been to Vienna, but yeah.

I'd even say head into the mountains south of Munich if you want to make a longer visit along with your two nights. Garmisch (preferably out of season) or similar. You will have to like scenery and walking etc for that though.

Serj
28-10-2015, 09:59 PM
From what I could tell during my short stay in Munich, Vienna would be very similar (with more big imperial buildings, if that's your thing), so if you're going for variety, do what Jimmy said instead and go for the mountains. Alternatively, Salzburg is really close and very pretty in a very kitschy way - nice for a day trip.

Samadini
28-10-2015, 10:53 PM

http://bttftour.com/wp-content/gallery/plaza-hotel-and-casino/001_0.jpg

I'm off to Salzburg in December.

The Merse
29-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Bollocks. May need to head home early.

I fucked my knee years ago and it's hampered sports for a while, but for the past year it's been particularly sore. I've been to the docs and am awaiting the results of an MRI likely to confirm that surgery is needed. It's been getting worse during the trip due to walking 15 miles a day, but today, having been lighter on it yesterday (10 miles), I turned it getting out of bed and completely fucked it. Therefor I'm bed ridden in the only stop where I don't have a single room.

I can cancel the accommodation in Barcelona and get a reasonable bus to London on Saturday evening if I feel the need to, but I'm kinda keen to soldier on as barca is forecast around 19-21 degrees so at least it would be nice to sit around their a bit. Will give it a full nights rest and see how I am tomorrow. Still, it's a major bummer as my mobility is completely screwed just now.

Lewis
29-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Sitting on a bus for ages with a wanked knee would be agony. Enjoy that.

Benny
29-10-2015, 06:31 PM

There could be a thread in this, sharing usernames spotted on the streets...

I spotted this in Romania.

http://i.imgur.com/uTUCA34.jpg

Giggles
29-10-2015, 06:43 PM
No photo but I used to drive past a sign for this most days working.

https://www.thebestof.co.uk/local/newry-and-mourne/business-guide/feature/giggles

Benny
29-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Not quite my username, but have a mugshot from back when I was a nipper on holiday with my folks.

http://i.imgur.com/abjDvQI.jpg

Lee
29-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Booked our husky riding trip for Norway. I'm going to crash the dogs.

Weaver
29-10-2015, 07:16 PM
£20 on Over 7.5 Failed Tests @ 1.3

Pen
29-10-2015, 09:07 PM
There's a pub called 'Taz' right next door to my flat. Unfortunately we don't have any members by that name anymore.

Luca
29-10-2015, 09:14 PM
There could be a thread in this, sharing usernames spotted on the streets...

I spotted this in Romania.

http://i.imgur.com/uTUCA34.jpg

There is a Bar Luca (est. 1992) in Milan. :cool:

Giggles
29-10-2015, 09:14 PM
There's a pub called 'Taz' right next door to my flat. Unfortunately we don't have any members by that name anymore.

Real shame the slut never caved and came over.

ScousePig
29-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Just boked next year's holiday. Two weeks in Corfu (daytrip to Albania already being planned :cool:). I've not been before but it will be hot, the hotel has fantastic reviews and I'm paying less than £400 each which I'm fucking beaming about. I only have £550 to pay off which I'll get done fairly quickly. I now have plenty of financial breathing space to finish off paying for stuff for Tromso in February and to book Rome for September.

I got similar done last year (the destinations being Reykjavik, Croatia for two weeks, then Barcelona) but I booked stuff later and paid more so it was tighter. It will all be relatively comfortable this time around. I fucking love holidays.

Whereabouts in Albania? Saranda looks interesting and is on my potential list to visit.

ScousePig
29-10-2015, 09:25 PM

Choices so far are:

Brussels
Rotterdam
Düsseldorf
Cologne
Vienna
Prague
Copenhagen

Vienna over Prague.

Toby
29-10-2015, 09:42 PM
I'd second that.

Lee
29-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Whereabouts in Albania? Saranda looks interesting and is on my potential list to visit.

It will be Saranda. Well that's one of the destinations on the daytrip. The other is Butrint, an old Roman city apparently.

Sam
03-11-2015, 10:11 PM
I mentioned it before, but I've since remembered it's called 'Clay Oven', and it's about a hundred yards from the top of the 'strip'.

Final night was yesterday, went back this morning but this is where we went for our final meal and it was fantastic.

As for Albufeira, was cracking for 4 days then the last 3 were ruined by nature, floods everywhere, had to move hotel and generally unable to do anything bar sit in the hotels and wait for power to return and the flights to take us back. Beyond that it was pretty decent, had a good time.

Luke Emia
04-11-2015, 08:38 AM
So I'm in the planning stage for next years holidays. I've got Prague the week before Christmas with the missus but really want something in place before we go.

Thinking Amsterdam in March/April, with a week somewhere sunny in July. Maybe the Ibiza, maybe a Greek island but not too sure yet. Then I'm hoping for a trip to Iceland to see the Northern lights end of November beginning of December. My only concern with that is how long we go for and what else there is to do out there.

Benny
04-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Recommend Kefalonia if you're looking for a peaceful summer holiday, best ocean water I've ever seen too and would completely recommend the boat trip with the marine biologist (will get details if you decide to go), was a quality holiday.

Sam
04-11-2015, 10:54 AM
So I'm in the planning stage for next years holidays. I've got Prague the week before Christmas with the missus but really want something in place before we go.

Thinking Amsterdam in March/April, with a week somewhere sunny in July. Maybe the Ibiza, maybe a Greek island but not too sure yet. Then I'm hoping for a trip to Iceland to see the Northern lights end of November beginning of December. My only concern with that is how long we go for and what else there is to do out there.

Is this generally the best time for the Northern Lights? Was going to surprise the girlfriend with taking her there (30th birthday) which is around November time next year.

Toby
04-11-2015, 11:16 AM
There's no best time really, they occur year round but are just more visible in winter because it's dark. You'd have as much chance seeing them now as any other time though. There's some good info here:

https://www.theaurorazone.com/about-the-aurora/the-science-of-the-northern-lights/the-best-time-to-see-the-northern-lights

Benny
08-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Just booked a night in Ghent for December, then the following weekend we're off to Krakow... I bloody love a trip abroad :drool:

Raoul Duke
08-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Belgium again? :sherlock:

Kikó
08-11-2015, 08:34 PM
He loves moaning about it.

Benny
08-11-2015, 09:54 PM
It's no Brussels I'll give you that.

Toby
09-11-2015, 10:38 AM
There's no best time really, they occur year round but are just more visible in winter because it's dark. You'd have as much chance seeing them now as any other time though. There's some good info here:

https://www.theaurorazone.com/about-the-aurora/the-science-of-the-northern-lights/the-best-time-to-see-the-northern-lights

http://i.imgur.com/z1jDqxV.jpg

:drool:

Boydy
09-11-2015, 10:45 AM
What's that weird building?

Toby
09-11-2015, 10:46 AM
It's an RSPB site in Sutherland so I assume that's some sort of observation area for birdwatchers.

Raoul Duke
09-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Twitchers :dc:

:arry:

Toby
09-11-2015, 11:20 AM
This is a decent video comparing what the camera sees to how it actually looks, for those of you who are planning trips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq6GO-i7t4Y

Boydy
09-11-2015, 11:23 AM
So it looks shit in person then?

Toby
09-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Not shit - you can still see some colour, especially the green, and the shimmering/movement of it is pretty fascinating - but it's certainly not as vibrant as the best photos tend to make it look.

Mellberg
09-11-2015, 04:41 PM
How'd they film the non-camera bits? Eyeball on a stick?

Pepe
09-11-2015, 04:43 PM
I was thinking the same. :D

John Arne
09-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Camera with a quicker shutter speed, I imagine. Less time for the light to come in.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
09-11-2015, 05:00 PM
Best place for an Easter weekend in The Highlands? With the caveat that it can't be around the Fort William area and outdoor activities like climbing a hill can get fucked.

Jimmy Floyd
09-11-2015, 06:23 PM
If you're going to the Highlands and expecting indoor activities, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Findhorn Bay is the tits.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
09-11-2015, 11:45 PM
I like the views, not so much the doing things.

Considering a city break somewhere instead. Never been to Italy and the likes of Florence for 3 nights is under £200.

Spoonsky
09-11-2015, 11:51 PM
There's a very good chance we'll be driving around the Highlands come next summer. Though I think the whole point will be "outdoor activities like climbing a hill."

Alan Shearer The 2nd
09-11-2015, 11:56 PM
There's a very good chance we'll be driving around the Highlands come next summer. Though I think the whole point will be "outdoor activities like climbing a hill."

Anywhere in mind in particular? The Mrs. is in Fort William so I've been through there a few times now, it and the surrounding area is lovely when it's not pissing down.

Spoonsky
10-11-2015, 12:15 AM
No idea, except that we'd like to get to Edinburgh and I want to go to Glasgow as well (feel free to dissuade me from this).

CJay
10-11-2015, 01:22 AM
Go to the Isle of Skye, if you can. It's a very picturesque place.

niko_cee
10-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Anywhere in mind in particular? The Mrs. is in Fort William so I've been through there a few times now, it and the surrounding area is lovely when it's not pissing down.

Isn't that about 5 days every decade?

Alan Shearer The 2nd
10-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Yes, which is unfortunate because areas on the West coast look like this on a good day-

http://s16.postimg.org/z3et1pmg5/panorama.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Lee
25-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Just booked the final trip of our holiday in Tromso which will go as so:

- Arrive 8th Feb at around 7pm
- 9th Feb AM 'Arctic Landscapes' trip
- 9th Feb PM Northern Lights Tour
- 10th Feb free day in the city
- 11th Feb AM Husky Sledding trip
- Leave 12th Feb at around 7pm

Just spending money to sort now which is nice and easy this far out. I can't wait.

GS
25-11-2015, 08:56 PM
How much is it setting you back? I've been looking at something similar.

Toby
25-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Do they intentionally schedule that Northern Lights tour for a new moon or did you just get lucky?

Jimmy Floyd
25-11-2015, 09:01 PM
My folks went there a year or two back and apparently there's a corking war museum run by some nutjob who has drawings of Disney characters done by Hitler.

Toby
25-11-2015, 09:06 PM
The end of [January] is marked by the Day of the Sun (Soldagen), when the sun finally appears above the horizon after the Polar Night,

Just 3 days ago, northern Norway celebrated Soldagen, the end of mørketid, or the dark time in the north. It´s sounds strange when you first hear it, doesn´t it? When you think about not seeing the sun for 2 months out of the year, you quickly understand the need to celebrate it´s return. Although the sun is technically above the horizon before Jan. 21, because of the mountains, you can´t see it until later.
In northern Norway, and anywhere north of the arctic circle, the last glimpse of the sun is on Nov. 21 and it doesn´t return again until Jan. 21.

That is seriously grim. Sounds like something out of Game of Thrones.

Foe
25-11-2015, 09:06 PM
No idea, except that we'd like to get to Edinburgh and I want to go to Glasgow as well (feel free to dissuade me from this).

The highlands. Aviemore and loch morlich :cool:

Lee
25-11-2015, 09:18 PM
How much is it setting you back? I've been looking at something similar.

The room is about £270 for four nights and direct flights from Gatwick were something like £150 each for a return with Norwegian.

Do they intentionally schedule that Northern Lights tour for a new moon or did you just get lucky?

Definitely luck. You telling me that is the first I knew of it. They schedule the tour every night through Northern Lights season. The company we've booked with (Tromso Safari) travel further than others to find some clear sky which is why I went with them. It costs £75 each which is nearly double the cost from Reykjavik. Mind you we did get our money back as the weather was too shit for the trips to go out. The coach trip cost us £78 each and the husky sledding £135 each. I might still book another trip for the morning of the free day; snowmobiling in the Lyngen Alps. That's £140 each so I reckon I'll leave it.

That is seriously grim. Sounds like something out of Game of Thrones.

We were originally going to go in January but decided against in part because we wanted some daylight. Sunrise is at around 9am and sunset 3pm in early February which is much better. Another reason for shifting the dates was cost. When I first started looking on Expedia I was finding flights and hotel at about £600 for two which I thought was reasonable. But I wasn't going to be in a position to book until late summer and by the time I got around to it I was being faced with prices of more than £2k. I just went through the flight operator and hotel separately and have managed to do it much cheaper.

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-11-2015, 12:22 AM
I think I might go to Zanzibar in March.

I want to go somewhere hot but it also has to be somewhere I've never been before.

Considering I've only ever been to places in Europe and North America, Africa seems like a good port of call.

Any other suggestions? I wouldn't want to spend too long on a plane and it has to be relatively cheap.

Spoonsky
27-11-2015, 01:07 AM
I've heard Krivoi Rog is nice that time of year.

ScousePig
01-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Thinking about going away for a few nights between Christmas and New Year. What's Copenhagen like? I was thinking maybe spending a day or two there and hopping over to Sweden (Malmo) for the day.

Jimmy Floyd
01-12-2015, 06:31 PM
I think I might go to Zanzibar in March.

I want to go somewhere hot but it also has to be somewhere I've never been before.

Considering I've only ever been to places in Europe and North America, Africa seems like a good port of call.

Any other suggestions? I wouldn't want to spend too long on a plane and it has to be relatively cheap.

If you can get as far as Zanzibar you might as well go a bit further to the less shit Mauritius, although it will almost certainly be more expensive.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-12-2015, 11:32 PM
Hadn't really looked much into flight times, I doubt Zanzibar or Mauritius will be a goer unless I can get a decent stop over or two.

The most I can put up with on a plane is about 8 hours, any suggestions?

simon
03-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Stop over in Kiev. :baz:

-james-
04-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Hong Kong for six days next week. Don't really have much planned. Any essential recommendations?

Spoonsky
04-12-2015, 10:40 PM
There is some pretty nice coastline according to this guy's Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/haydilliams/17297246142/in/datetaken/

Magic
12-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Fancy a 5 night away somewhere sunny (not outside Europe), looking at Tenerife as it's a decent 25C just now and not too hot at night, plus I'm fucking sick of this place and everyone and I hate being stuck in my fucking job trapped by the need to pay money to absolute cunts who own the world.

Any advice? I've just seen a child passport costs £46 which nearly put me off.

John Arne
12-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Hong Kong for six days next week. Don't really have much planned. Any essential recommendations?

It's a bit cliché (and late), but you have to go up to The Peak during sunset.... it's quality. Otherwise, ask Toby

Toby
13-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Not sure how relevant my advice would be these days. It's been five years. :(

niko_cee
13-12-2015, 04:41 PM
I was going to suggest something, but last time I was in Hong Kong proper we still owned the gaff.

Kikó
13-12-2015, 05:25 PM
The peak was fantastic. We went on the boat across Kowloon which was cool. Careful with your card though, both my bosses got their cards cloned out there.

Raoul Duke
13-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Looking at Vienna or Budapest for February, then maybe Seville for the summer :drool:

Lee
13-12-2015, 10:32 PM
Looking at Vienna or Budapest for February, then maybe Seville for the summer :drool:

I spent a day in Seville a couple of summers back and it was lovely. I'd like to go back for a weekend.

Raoul Duke
13-12-2015, 10:35 PM
It's high up on our list. Probably going to to look at 2-3 cities and visit a few for a couple of days each.

Magic
13-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Fuck a weekend, I'd quite happily live there. It is utterly, utterly beautiful.

ScousePig
13-12-2015, 10:50 PM
I was going to ask about Seville as my mum and sister are booking three nights there in February. As for Vienna and Budapest I'd recommend both, but I'd probably choose the former if pushed.

I've put off my winter break until either February or May half term I think. If I'm going to go to Scandinavia I was hoping to fit Reykjavik in too and more time then might allow me to do so. It's either that or Lake Como and Garda. Might leave that one until the summer.

Lee
13-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Reykjavik is fantastic. I'd live there.

Spoonsky
14-12-2015, 01:27 AM
If you go to Reykjavik splurge on a bus tour of the Golden Circle.

We've just spent a day with friends at Lava Hot Springs in Idaho, about an hour and a half away. Hot springs are :cool:

Andy
14-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Thinking about a week in the South of France, will probably drive so we can visit a few different places. Any recommendations?

Will be after the Euros. Probably a week in August.

Raoul Duke
14-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Avignon and Nimes were top banana when I went there. Nowt to do other than mooch around, swim and visit little local villages/markets.

-james-
16-12-2015, 07:44 AM
Hong Kong is so good. :drool:

Had a mare in not adjusting my sleep schedule though, woken up at 2pm every day.

GS
16-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Looking at going to HK in the spring. The last outpost of the Empire. :cool:

Kikó
16-12-2015, 08:28 PM
I think you'll probably hate it...

GS
16-12-2015, 08:28 PM
It's entirely possible, but it's the one place that holds a certain "magic" for me - I've always wanted to go.

Luke Emia
17-12-2015, 07:37 AM
I'm in Prague off to the castle today. I can confirm I have seen no ISIS yet so looks like we are winning.

What's the deal with the beggars kneeling in the street by the way?

Charlie
17-12-2015, 07:45 AM
I think they are asking for money.

Raoul Duke
17-12-2015, 08:37 AM
Blowjobs for cash, innit?

Toby
17-12-2015, 11:35 AM
I think you'll probably hate it...

There's plenty of historical stuff for him to fawn over. The museums are great.

Samadini
17-12-2015, 11:48 AM
On my way back from Salzburg now. Brilliant city, every two minutes there's something you want to take a photo of. I thought the fortress was brilliant, especially as it was never penetrated by force :cool: then I found out they actually ended up surrendering it without a fight when Napoleon came knocking. What a bunch of losers.

ScousePig
25-12-2015, 01:48 PM
I'm looking at going away either Easter or May half-term (as we get a fortnight). Something along the lines of flying to Reykjavik for 3 nights, flying to Copenhagen for two or three nights (probably visit Malmo), train to Stockholm for two night and fly back (cheap flights from Stockholm). Are any of those places worth spending less/more time? And is Reykjavik essential, because realistically I think I'd have to fly both in and out of there, and if I didn't bother I could just fly to Copenhagen, get the train to Stockholm and fly home from there.

Luke Emia
26-12-2015, 09:09 AM
So New York next December looks like it's in the pipeline. Anyone flown with Norwegian? I'm such a fan of budget flying that I'm thinking of taking it long-haul.

Spoonsky
26-12-2015, 04:01 PM
I was looking at Norwegian Air yesterday. $250 one-way from Oakland to Oslo in September, oof.

Kikó
26-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Has anyone been to Argentina/Uruguay?

ScousePig
26-12-2015, 04:07 PM
I think Norweigan Air were one of the cheap flights back from Stockholm, though British Airways was only about £40 to Heathrow too.

I stayed with a Uruguayan in Barcelona. Top geezer.

phonics
26-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Stansted airport is absolute dog shit.

Kikó
26-12-2015, 04:42 PM
It's better than Gatwick.

Boydy
26-12-2015, 04:47 PM
What's wrong with either?

Kikó
26-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Gatwick is a pain in the arse to get to.

Boydy
26-12-2015, 04:51 PM
What? Gatwick Express from Victoria. Piece of piss.

ScousePig
26-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Gatwick Express is a waste of money (and not quick). Just get an ordinary train ticket from Clapham Junction or London Bridge. The airport's fine though; you just need to get the monorail to one of the terminals.

Kikó
26-12-2015, 04:58 PM
I'm biased against it because the one time I had to go the express was broken and I sat on a coach for 4 hours.

ScousePig
26-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Similar here.

Boydy
26-12-2015, 05:04 PM
Just looked at the price of the Express. It is a bit steep. Could've sworn it was a good bit less than that last time I got it.

I used to fly home from Southend when I lived in London as the cheapest Easyjet flights were from there. That is a shit airport.

Kikó
26-12-2015, 05:16 PM
London Southend mate.

Boydy
26-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Oh yeah. Easyjet don't even fly from there any more so I think it's solely RyanAir flights taking Essex boys on stag dos now.

Lee
27-12-2015, 11:17 AM
I'm flying with Norwegian Air to Tromso in February so I'll report back. There is wifi on board which I've never had with any carrier so they already win so long as they don't crash me.

phonics
27-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Oh yeah. Easyjet don't even fly from there any more so I think it's solely RyanAir flights taking Essex boys on stag dos now.

Easyjet flies to Southend but only in the Winter.

There's a few things wrong with Stansted, The free wifi is awful and has no signal so you're lucky to get a refresh off that doesn't time out. It's so thin and you have shops either side of you so you're crushed into a world of things you're never going to buy or scrambling for space in the sea of people who are gagging for somewhere to sit down. There's no smoking area. You have to catch a monorail to your gate. The Italian guy serving at the bar is cool though.

Luke Emia
27-12-2015, 11:36 PM
I don't think anything beats Luton in terms of shit airports. Stansted is a dream in comparison. Spoke to my brother today he has flown with Norwegian before said they are decent enough it's only 300 quid for a return flight so I'm very tempted.

-james-
27-12-2015, 11:40 PM
Was hoping to get some skiing done in Greece but there's basically no snow. Got the itch now, going to book somewhere. Anyone been to Andorra? Looks pretty good, and a fair whack cheaper than the usual suspects.

Boydy
27-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Luton is grand as well.

Fly out of one of the Belfast airports any time you're going somewhere and you'll appreciate Luton or Stansted.

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-12-2015, 11:56 PM
Luton is fine.

I hate Gatwick though.

The worst I have ever been to is some tiny fucking terminal that use to serve budget airlines into Warsaw.

The first few times I went it didn't have a single shop. All it had was about 10 check in desks (only 3 were ever in use), then you had to take your luggage and put it onto a conveyor belt round the corner, go through security and into an area with about 100 seats. They added a tiny souvenir shop near the end of it's run.

Oh and two times I went there was a bomb scare. We had to go out into the cold and wait for 45 minutes-1 hour for the A-Team to show up with a couple of dogs to determine that some twat had left their sandwiches in a bag on the side after being told they couldn't take them through security.

Edit: Warsaw-Modlin.

Jimmy Floyd
28-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Inverness is quality as far as the airports I've been to go. There's a shrine to Donald Dewar in one corner (probably now torn down and replaced with SNP iconography) and there must be 100 square miles of just empty floor, presumably for the millions of passengers they think they are going to get once that other great Donald of local repute turns the entire surrounding area into a risk-reward short par 4.

Spoonsky
28-12-2015, 01:24 AM
Was hoping to get some skiing done in Greece but there's basically no snow. Got the itch now, going to book somewhere. Anyone been to Andorra? Looks pretty good, and a fair whack cheaper than the usual suspects.

I've got back into skiing this year. You can sleep in our guest bedroom, mate. Greatest Snow on Earth.

ScousePig
28-12-2015, 09:50 AM
+1 for Luton being fine.

The only airport I can remember having an issue with was Naples, and that wasn't anything to do with the airport itself, it was the silly person at the check in giving people the wrong seats meaning families were apart and we were delayed.

Pepe
28-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Laguardia. :sick: JFK is pretty shit too, but not even close.

Boydy
28-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Athens has its shopping and security the wrong way round. When I was there a few years ago, I went through security thinking there'd be more stuff on the other side. Nope. Just some seats. Had to just sit and wait for about an hour and a half. Stupid system.

Sir Andy Mahowry
28-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Dalaman airport is a bit nuts for security.

You've got it as soon as you enter the door and then another set just a bit further down after you check in which you can see whilst you're being screened.

I'm not sure how you're meant to get a bomb/something dangerous onto yourself or in your luggage between the two security checks.

Toby
28-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Inverness is quality as far as the airports I've been to go. There's a shrine to Donald Dewar in one corner (probably now torn down and replaced with SNP iconography) and there must be 100 square miles of just empty floor, presumably for the millions of passengers they think they are going to get once that other great Donald of local repute turns the entire surrounding area into a risk-reward short par 4.

Dewar is still there, but they must've filled out any empty space they once had. I'd have said it could do with an extension if anything.

Dquincy
28-12-2015, 04:21 PM
LAX is shit.

Gatwick is fine. What's your beef Mahow?

Sir Andy Mahowry
28-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Annoying to get to for me.

-james-
28-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Schiphol is :drool:, though the layout absolutely baffled me first time round. Prestwick is easily the worst UK airport I've been to. It really just wants a wrecking ball.

ScousePig
28-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Athens has its shopping and security the wrong way round. When I was there a few years ago, I went through security thinking there'd be more stuff on the other side. Nope. Just some seats. Had to just sit and wait for about an hour and a half. Stupid system.

I once got through security and thought there weren't many shops. Bought a bottle of water from a vending machine which tried to steal my money and just sat about for a bit. Then I realised if you walk 100 yards around a corner there's a big complex. Not sure where that was now. Either Berlin Schonefeld, Nice or Split.

Toby
28-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Prague had individual security checks at each gate, which seemed really weird and inefficient to me.

Sir Andy Mahowry
28-12-2015, 06:08 PM
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/2015/worst-airports-world.htm

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/2015/photos/africa/port-harcourt-airport-pc.jpg

How lovely.

Luke Emia
29-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Prague had individual security checks at each gate, which seemed really weird and inefficient to me.

Yes I found that very weird. How you just walk through the passport checks and there was nothing to tell you that there would be
No checks till the gate.

Magic
05-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Fucking hell my dream trip to Sarajevo is in tatters. No-one in the UK flies direct, so a decent hotel plus flights for three fucking nights is comfortably £600 per person. That plus spending money means that's totally unfeasible.

I realise the hotel could probably be cheaper but I don't want to chance it. Was happy to do it in Lisbon and Sevilla but not in Sarajevo.

Flying from Scotland means 1 day stopover. Flying from Manchester means the stop included is only 4.5 hours.

However that means driving to Manchester. That in turn means a 3 night trip turns in to a 5 night trip and that in turn means we'd need a babysitter for about a week. Wouldn't want to leave the kid for that long. :(

phonics
05-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Who's dream is to go to fucking Sarajevo? "You know where I've always dreamed of going Magic?" "The Balkans? Yeah me too, Eastern Europes so glamourous in February! I'll book it now" *sighs* *shoves some spare change in the underwear drawer*

Magic
05-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Mine. I'm utterly infatuated.

I'd like to do a round trip of the Federation and Sprska, probably a 2-3 week job with a tour guide. Something for when the kid is at Oxford/Cambridge and I need some excitement.

Also my wife doesn't call me 'Magic'.

And it is glamarous. Hrvatska is glorious too.

Lee
05-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Can you not fly to Dubrovnik or Split? Certainly in the summer there are coach trips to Sarajevo. Just book one of those and use the coach as your lift. Not sure about this time of year but it has to be worth a look.

Mazuuurk
05-01-2016, 01:06 PM
She should call you Magic, though. You're fabulous, don't let anybody tell you differently.

Magic
05-01-2016, 01:16 PM
Can you not fly to Dubrovnik or Split? Certainly in the summer there are coach trips to Sarajevo. Just book one of those and use the coach as your lift. Not sure about this time of year but it has to be worth a look.

Mmm, possibly. It'd be good to do one night in Split either side. That's extending the trip though...maybe I just need to accept this isn't a 3 night trip.

Blackpool it is lads. :drool:

Toby
05-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Other than Paris which cities are particularly worth seeing in France? We're planning a trip there later this year but thinking to only spend a few days in Paris and instead look around a bit more. Lille and Lyon look quite nice but I've no idea if there's anything interesting to see or do in them.

Jimmy Floyd
05-01-2016, 02:52 PM
None. The smaller the better in France. Lille is ok but no more than an afternoon to it really. Do not visit Lyon in any circumstances.

Nice isn't absolutely terrible and if you base yourself there then there is lots of fun stuff in the area. Other than that, go to the countryside, which is teeming with lovely little places with town squares and markets and old men in berets playing petanque. It's a great place for a driving holiday, actually.

Toby
05-01-2016, 02:59 PM
We'd visit some smaller places in between but I'd be bored shitless spending any more time than that in the countryside - remember I go on holiday to escape that sort of thing rather than get some peace from a bustling city. If there's nothing to see we'll maybe just sack it off and do a small interrail route around some other countries.

Jimmy Floyd
05-01-2016, 03:02 PM
If it has to be metropolitan bustle then keep the baguettes on ice, yeah. Italy a much better bet.

Davgooner
05-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Ditch the missus and get to Angers.

Toby
05-01-2016, 03:16 PM
ScousePig and Raoul Duke:

You both mentioned trips to Marseille in passing on the old board, any thoughts on whether it's worth a look? Might give it a day trip to see MuCEM at least.

Magic
05-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Was looking for UK family breaks on Mumsnet and the latest chat thing was sitting at this:

Latest chathttp://cdn.netmums.com/assets/ch/customavatars/avatar1649041_1.gif (http://www.netmums.com/lifestyle/holidays/uk-family-holidays/self-catering-in-the-uk#)

Anyone fainted while having a tattoo?!?! (http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/showthread.php?t=1439593)Last Post By Gina W(82) (2 replies)
http://cdn.netmums.com/site/assets/images/sitewide/default_avatar.jpg (http://www.netmums.com/lifestyle/holidays/uk-family-holidays/self-catering-in-the-uk#)

How long after coming off the pill? (http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/showthread.php?t=1439159)Last Post By Stacey W(436) (4 replies)
http://cdn.netmums.com/site/assets/images/sitewide/default_avatar.jpg (http://www.netmums.com/lifestyle/holidays/uk-family-holidays/self-catering-in-the-uk#)

Bleeding on coil (http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/showthread.php?t=1440053)Last Post By Angela M(1095) (1 replies)

Copper coil sex drive? (http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/showthread.php?t=1437509)Last Post By Helen B(2267) (3 replies)

Mirena coil (http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/showthread.php?t=778975)Last Post By Keely (3) (66 replies)
http://cdn.netmums.com/assets/ch/customavatars/avatar1826529_7.gif (http://www.netmums.com/lifestyle/holidays/uk-family-holidays/self-catering-in-the-uk#)

Cooper coil has gone !!! (http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/showthread.php?t=1439745)Last Post By Ceilidh S(3) (1 replies)

Magic
05-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Dirty bitches.

Mazuuurk
05-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Don't listen to Jim, Tobes :cab:

Bordeaux is really great, it's like a calmer and nicer version of Paris.

Nice is also good if you do the right stuff, but going in the middle of the summer is not the best idea.
As for Marseille, it in itself is quite boring, and eclectic if you will, but there are a few sights, and if not its a great base for day-trips to places like Aix-en-Pce, Calanques, Cassis (would also not suggest going to any of those in summer).

Magic
05-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Surely boring and eclectic is an oxymoron?

Mazuuurk
05-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Yeah maybe. I'm trying to be politically correct here.

Jimmy Floyd
05-01-2016, 03:37 PM
You see what you've done there Maz is tell Toby not to listen to me and then post almost exactly what I posted.

I've been to Rennes, I know how bad la vie can become.

Mazuuurk
05-01-2016, 03:45 PM
We did not :cab:

I agree there's a lot of fantastic small villages in France, but you said Nice sucks, which it doesn't at all. Bordeaux is one of the biggest cities and it's great.

Jimmy Floyd
05-01-2016, 03:47 PM
I said it wasn't absolutely terrible, which when translated from the vernacular means 'quite nice'.

Bordeaux seemed like one big grey ring road to me.

Spoonsky
05-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Look at Magic becoming a Balkanophile like myself. We can hitchhike to Sarajevo, mate, when I've graduated and you've blown up your family.

Toby
05-01-2016, 03:55 PM
A quick look around on the Eurail website suggests Paris - Amsterdam - Frankfurt - Munich - Venice - Florence - Rome would be a serviceable route. Probably a bit more rushed than I would like but if we like what we see anywhere we can always go back for longer another year. The rail links between Italy and the south of France appear to be - who would have thought - laughably bad compared to those originating in Germany.

Mazuuurk
05-01-2016, 04:18 PM
I said it wasn't absolutely terrible, which when translated from the vernacular means 'quite nice'.

Bordeaux seemed like one big grey ring road to me.

Dude. Vernacular? If you say it's "not absolutely terrible" to me that means it's just above being absolutely terrible - which seems pretty bad to me.
When I say "quite nice" it means it's just below being nice, which is a whole lot better not just short of absolutely terrible to me.

Now, as it were, I'd actually even say Nice is indeed 'nice', but you kind of have to stick an adjective in there for the sentence not to be retarded, you know, vernacular and all that, and I'm not sure it qualifies as 'very' nice, just.

Jimmy Floyd
05-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Ah, you just need the advanced British English lessons.

'Not bad' = extremely good
'I wouldn't mind' = I would absolutely love
'Not the best' = the worst thing that has ever existed

That route is gorgeous, Toby. Been to them all and would happily go back to them all.

Mazuuurk
05-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Not the best explanation Jim, but I'll take it.

Magic
05-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Look at Magic becoming a Balkanophile like myself. We can hitchhike to Sarajevo, mate, when I've graduated and you've blown up your family.

You taking a photo of me standing beside the Latin Bridge with a sepia filter. :drool:

Pepe
05-01-2016, 04:36 PM
He doesn't use filters mate, it's a film camera.

That reminded me I need to look for mine.

Magic
05-01-2016, 04:39 PM
It's the only thing I know. :***(

Greg
05-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Lads, I'm in London. Is there anything you'd suggest for a first timer? I've done the Imperial War Museum, Churchill War Rooms and St Paul's Cathedral.

Mellberg
05-01-2016, 05:25 PM
France is great, just avoid all the shit waste of time cities. Get off at Calais, drive an hour or two down the road to Normandy, then Paris, then just head down south where it's best. Vichy on the way down is beautiful (temporary capital during WWII, so there's a fair bit of history too), then hit Bordeaux, Nice etc in and around the south coast. Driving through the Alps is a must, too.

You'd be better off doing Europe though, obviously. More to see. Munich's a brilliant city. I'd probably spend more time in Germany and less in Italy. Just skim the top of it with Venice and Milan and then make your way back up through France.

Have experienced the rail down that way when I used to work there. Once caught a train from Barcelona to, I think, Argeles in south of France. I was grey come the end. Shit across the board tbh. If you and the missus can drive, do it that way. Adds to the experience, but will become a bit tiresome if you're the only driver (I'd had enough coming back up through France). If you do drive make fucking sure you nip into the Austrian Alps. Stunning. And obviously there's the autobahn :drool:

Raoul Duke
05-01-2016, 07:58 PM
ScousePig and Raoul Duke:

You both mentioned trips to Marseille in passing on the old board, any thoughts on whether it's worth a look? Might give it a day trip to see MuCEM at least.

I've not been yet - will be going this summer as I'm at a wedding somewhere in the Gers (near Toulouse). Will probably come back via there to London.

Lads, I'm in London. Is there anything you'd suggest for a first timer? I've done the Imperial War Museum, Churchill War Rooms and St Paul's Cathedral.

Stuff:
Natural History Museum
Barbican (the Eames exhibition they have on now is ace)
Go to Shoreditch / Boxpark
Spitalfields market
Go to the Tate Modern
Broadway Market
Transport Museum
Somerset House
Brick Lane

Bars:
Strongroom
Craft Beer Co.
Hat & Tun
London fields Brewery
Ye Olde Mitre
De Hems
Old Red Cow
The French House
The Cittie of Yorke
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese

Food:
Dishoom
Meat Mission
Franco Manca
Caravan (King's Cross)
East Street
Look mum no hands!
Ozone Coffee Roasters

Kikó
05-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Dishoom left me underwhelmed.

Has anyone been to Sicily? I'm doing my honeymoon there so any good places to visit would be nice to know.

Boydy
05-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Does Dishoom have any awards or anything? Why's it rated so highly?

When I was in London my work took us once to the Shoreditch one. It was nice enough but not anything especially amazing.

John
05-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Was looking for UK family breaks on Mumsnet

:D

Why there? That should probably serve as some sort of bottom for you, a crystalising moment after which all is changed.

Baz
05-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Trying to sort out a stag do. Ideally the flights will be as cheap as possible so more people will go. I'm thinking like £90 max, return.

Just used SkyScanner for the first time, putting random stuff in I got this:

http://www.littlemonstersforum.co.uk/images/q/hcedyfql.png

That's seven people flying directly to Oslo from Manchester, and back again, for £48 each? :wtf:

The flights must be between Friday 22nd July and Monday 25th July, although in ideal world we'd fly home on the Sunday. Preferably from Manchester or Liverpool airport.

So a) is Oslo any good for a stag do where the sole intention is a night out (ie not paintballing/zorb football/etc.) and b) Is there anyone else within the suggested budget anyone can recommend for me to look at? Also, what other websites should I check out?

Kikó
05-01-2016, 09:58 PM
Oslo would be expensive. Try go somewhere in Germany.