PDA

View Full Version : The Travel Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

John
11-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Berlin is terrific. I can't speak to the football there but it's a great city with a terrific drinking culture (bottle openers on a string by the door of every bottle shop) and a really good atmosphere about the place.

The Russian embassy is worth a look if you find yourself in that area just for the sheer absurdity of it. It's about fourteen times the size of any of the others.

Boydy
11-01-2018, 05:06 PM
Name more good Berlin stuff please. I'm going next month.

John
11-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Assuming you don't need told about the historic stuff and the winter markets will be gone by then, Burgermeister should be near the top of your to do list.

Magic
11-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Lol recommending a fucking burger place in a city like Berlin. Get a grip man.

John
11-01-2018, 05:55 PM
Lol recommending a fucking burger place in a city like Berlin. Get a grip man.

The great things to do all involve history or drinking, so good places to eat are a good third banana.

What are your Berlin recommendations.

Boydy
11-01-2018, 06:14 PM
I don't even know what the top history things are so recommendations for them are welcome too.

Think we're staying in Kreuzberg so might check thag place out.

I see fucking Ryanair have changed their cabin baggage policy after I already booked my flights. Cunts.

John
11-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate, and the Reichstag are the three that come immediately to mind, along with the wall but there's so much of that left that you don't need to be looking for it to see it, and if you want to walk along it Checkpoint Charlie is a good place to start anyway.

In terms of places that are just good to see, there's Alexanderplatz and Potsdamplatz. There's a little museum/gallery in a church just off Alexanderplatz but I forget the name of it. I imagine it'd be very easy to find from the train station.

How long are you going for?

Magic
11-01-2018, 06:25 PM
I don't even know what the top history things are so recommendations for them are welcome too.

Think we're staying in Kreuzberg so might check thag place out.

I see fucking Ryanair have changed their cabin baggage policy after I already booked my flights. Cunts.

Yeah fuck that. Priority booking? Get rinsed. Are your bags too big?

Boydy
11-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate, and the Reichstag are the three that come immediately to mind, along with the wall but there's so much of that left that you don't need to be looking for it to see it, and if you want to walk along it Checkpoint Charlie is a good place to start anyway.

In terms of places that are just good to see, there's Alexanderplatz and Potsdamplatz. There's a little museum/gallery in a church just off Alexanderplatz but I forget the name of it. I imagine it'd be very easy to find from the train station.

How long are you going for?

Just a weekend. I'm only there 3 nights.

Isn't there a Stasi museum or something? I want to see that.

Boydy
11-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Yeah fuck that. Priority booking? Get rinsed. Are your bags too big?
I was only going to take a backpack but I'm not even sure that meets their regulations now. Although it would fit below the seat in front.

Magic
11-01-2018, 06:40 PM
They have specific measurements though for the hand luggage though. It'll go in the hold if bigger.

John
11-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Just a weekend. I'm only there 3 nights.

Isn't there a Stasi museum or something? I want to see that.

I assumed that was what Phonics was on about but on second thoughts an interactive laser grid would be a bit out of place.

There's Topography of Terror on the site of the old Gestapo buildings if you want to go right into that stuff.

Boydy
11-01-2018, 07:17 PM
They have specific measurements though for the hand luggage though. It'll go in the hold if bigger.

Yeah that's what I mean about not being sure it fits their regulations. Such a pain in the arse.

Spoonsky
11-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Mexico trip fell through sadly but America in April is confirmed.

Flying to San Francisco to spend a few days there (including a tour round Alcatraz), go to LA for a few days and then head towards Las Vegas which is where we'll fly out of. 2 weeks or so. Should be great, I've always wanted to go to San Fran and Vegas.

I'd love to also go to a game of some sort but the NFL season will be done with the NHL and NBA in the playoffs. If LA make the playoffs (no idea if they're close in either) then tickets will surely be pricey as fuck.

Yes son.

San Fran things to do:
The Palace of Fine Arts is one of my favorite places in the world
Walk along Crissy Fields on the waterfront between the Palace of Fine Arts and Golden Gate
Cliff House and Sutro Baths
Climb these steps (https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-16th-avenue-tiled-steps-san-francisco) to the hill at the top for a gorgeous view
Mission Dolores Park on a warm night and the Mission district in general (tons of murals to see: http://www.sftravel.com/article/guide-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-mission-district-murals)
Chinatown
Cathedral of Saint Mary, massive modern cathedral from the 70s, the outside is odd but make sure you go inside if it's a sunny day, it's gorgeous
Can never go wrong with just wandering around the city on foot tbh

Things not to do:
Pier 39 is completely for tourists, I'd avoid it unless that's what you want. Same for most of the Embarcadero. Crissy Field is a much nicer way to walk by the bay
Downtown and around Market Street is nice but it's just a typical North American big city. Most boring part of the city imo

I've been to LA much less but the Getty Museum on the hillside is pretty awesome.

Pen
11-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Berlin
Shops:

Made in Berlin - Neue Schönhauser Straße 19

Garage - Ahornstraße 2

Zeha - Prenzlauer Allee 123 (€)

Nowkölln Flowmarkt - Maybachufer, Neukölln (Sun, 10-17)

Restaurants:

Hamburger Heaven Kiosk - Gaeferstraße 93

Pinoy - Danckelmannstraße 49

Devil's kitchen - Gaeferstraße 11

Manouche (coffee) - Grimmstraße 23

La Soupe Populaire - Prnzlauerallee 242 (call +493044319680 for tables)

Balkci Ergun - Lüneburger Straße 382
(Very good)

Mädchen ohne Abitur - Körtestraße 5 (18-01)

Grill Royal - Friedrichstraße 105b ( steaks18-03)
(Probably the best steak I’ve ever had)

Schneeweiß - Simplonstraße 16

Cafe Sankt Oberholz - Rosenthaler Straße 72a

Thomas-Eck - Pestalozzistraße 25

Karun - Pestalozzistraße 25

Ho Vang - Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße 17

Lebensmittel - Rochstraße 2
(Very good)

Burgermeister - Oberbaumstraße 2

Bars:

Wein & Geflügel - Malplaqueststraße 43

Oscar Wilde - Friedrichstraße 112a

Das Gift - Donaustraße 119

Bflat Jazzclub - Rosenthaler Straße 13

Neue Heimat - Revaler Straße 99 (a bit of everything 18-/12-)

Vineria Carvalho - Heinrich Rollerstraße 9

Zosch - Tucholskystraße 30

Markthalle Neun - Eisenbahnstraße 42 (streetfood and market 10-18)

Culture

East side gallery

Tränenpalast (the palace of tears) - Reichstagufer 17

Knorrpromenadu

There’s some stuff for you Boydy. It’s a bit light on the. Culture part as I had those down elsewhere. East side gallery is probably my favourite sight there.

Pen
11-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Some of those are from my first trip to Berlin so you should probably google them before going to them if some of the interest you. There’s so much cool stuff to do thouhg that you really can’t go wrong whatever you decide to do.

John
11-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Fucking burger places. Sort it out, mate.

Pen
11-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Fucking burger places. Sort it out, mate.

I know that was meant for Magic more than me, but it did get a bit annoying how ’trendy’ burgers got in the end. Top food and I do love them. It’s the same with pizza (or at least was not too long ago here).

Both of those places were excellent though. You need to eat outdoors though.

Giggles
11-01-2018, 09:47 PM
Anyone with two hands can make a burger easily as good so many of these cunts. How it ended up as such a dad is beyond me, queues out the door and all that shit, but if you're there and like burgers then it's good to know some of those places.

Is Das Klo the bar that's really weird inside?

Adamski
11-01-2018, 09:54 PM
Good Morning Vietnam is an excellent restaurant in Berlin. The squat was always decent, Tacheles but it’s gone now. Kreuzberg is great for bars as is Prenzlauerberg.

Dachau isn’t too far, if you’re interested in that.

I doubt Berghain is your scene but what an experience.

My mate works for Union Berlin, that’s a decent day out. As is Hertha.

Alternatively just rotate your holidays between the Algarve and Tenerife ad infinitum.

Boydy
11-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Dunno about Dachau as it might take up too much time for the limited amount of time I'm there. Visited Auschwitz last year anyway.

Even if Berghain was my scene I doubt I'd get in.

Giggles
11-01-2018, 10:34 PM
Dunno about Dachau as it might take up too much time for the limited amount of time I'm there. Visited Auschwitz last year anyway.

Even if Berghain was my scene I doubt I'd get in.

From what I've just read on what it is, I doubt you'd want to.

Magic
11-01-2018, 10:38 PM
Sounds like that twat that goes walking and goes to weird sex clubs ideal night out.

-james-
11-01-2018, 10:56 PM
My mate works for Union Berlin

Is his name Ross by any chance?

-james-
11-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Techno dungeons is the only thing Berlin has up on other central European cities tbh.

Luke Emia
11-01-2018, 11:21 PM
Loved every minute of Berlin. Topography of terror was interesting as well as the Berlin Wall memorial. I did a tour of a World war 2 air raid shelter which was really good. That was basically next to Gendesbrunen station(not sure if that's how you spell it).

Smiffy
12-01-2018, 04:07 AM
You're booking an all inclusive holiday for 14 days from now? :D

Am I missing something? I figured it would be cost effective given all I'm after is sea, sun and sand.

I booked Hurghada, Egypt anyhow so we're off there on the 22nd. Two days earlier than planned which means we return on my 33rd so a quick detour back to arrivals and a trips to Amsterdam can be snuck in I reckon.

Magic
12-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Lol RIP.

-james-
12-01-2018, 03:09 PM
Was flying back to Glasgow from my parents' today. I'd never used it before but there's a tiny local airport shack (https://imgur.com/QEARRlz) a 10 minute drive away, it has a flight to Athens three days a week and that's all.

I booked myself onto today's, and was heading to Glasgow from Athens after that.

There was about 45 minutes of intense fog that coincided with my departure time. Guy tried to land it 4-5 times before giving up and going back to Athens. Cleared up right after that.

So that's why I'm having to shell out £200 for an alternative flight on Monday.

:moop: doesn't cover it.

Magic
12-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Going to take the wife away for her 30th as part of the reparations agreement act of Sept 2017. Ironically it will be in Sept 2018, early. Any suggestions folks? Requirements I think will have to be:

Weather (nice)
Cost (cheap)

LOL.

Mazuuurk
12-01-2018, 03:53 PM
South of Portugal?
Bulgaria...?
Montenegro is supposed to be a decent choice money-wise.

Magic
12-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Nah not Portugal, going there in the summer.

Sir Andy Mahowry
12-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Lanzagrotty would be quite apt.

Magic
12-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Why is that then?

Andy
12-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Going to take the wife away for her 30th as part of the reparations agreement act of Sept 2017. Ironically it will be in Sept 2018, early. Any suggestions folks? Requirements I think will have to be:

Weather (nice)
Cost (cheap)

LOL.

Ibiza closing parties.

Andy
12-01-2018, 05:03 PM
Morocco or the canary islands are probably your best bet for a cheap and warm spot.

Adamski
12-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Weather (nice)
Cost (cheap)

LOL.

Have you given any thought to the Algarve or the Canary Islands?

Adamski
12-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Is his name Ross by any chance?

Aye.

Magic
12-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Fuck it probably south of France or Italy. Maybe Greece? I'm not going anywhere like fucking Morocco or Egypt.

Kikó
12-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Have you given any thought to the Algarve or the Canary Islands?

It would be quite funny if he was there with his missus as me and my MATES were there for A STAG.

He could shout LOL at them and we can do tth in jokes.

Giggles
12-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Fuck it probably south of France or Italy. Maybe Greece? I'm not going anywhere like fucking Morocco or Egypt.

Don't be picking any where too fancy where the little big man would go. Hit the canaries.

Spoonsky
12-01-2018, 10:57 PM
Get yourself to the Balkans man, now is the time.

ScousePig
12-01-2018, 11:33 PM

Nice is decent and a good base if you want to see Monaco and Cannes. It's a pebble beach too, so you can throw rocks at each other between cocktails.

For the Balkans, Dubrovnik is nice but it's expensive and there's only a small beach. Split might be better.

Magic
12-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Get yourself to the Balkans man, now is the time.

Too expensive bro. I want cheap flights so we can have a good time over there. Probably 100 return each.

Spoonsky
12-01-2018, 11:43 PM
Apart from the flights surely the Balkans are going to be much cheaper than the South of France?

Clunge
13-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Can confirm Split MILES better value than Dubrovnik, but the whole Adriatic coast of Croatia is very accessible do you can easily do a few places and still get inland to the falls. Both are crap for beaches though.

Spoonsky
13-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Dubrovnik in May was, I think bar none, the most expensive place I went in five months travel last year.

Get to Albania. :cool:

Spikey M
13-01-2018, 10:14 AM
Is Croatia just Italy but with the added benefit of not being full of Italians?

Kikó
13-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Fuck you.

Give Sofia a go. I loved it, cheap, hot and great food.

Pepe
13-01-2018, 04:22 PM
I spent yesterday in New Orleans. I think it goes near the top of my favorite American cities. Looks like Mexico. Being there when it was cold and devoid of mertbros probably helped, mind. I bet it is a nightmare when MARDI GRAS WOOOO! comes to town.

Magic
13-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Fuck you.

Give Sofia a go. I loved it, cheap, hot and great food.

Romantic? Bulgaria doesn't strike me as desirable.

Kikó
13-01-2018, 11:14 PM
I think you could make it romantic. It's a nice capital city.

Giggles
13-01-2018, 11:17 PM
Third world shit hole.

Foe
14-01-2018, 08:33 AM
I spent yesterday in New Orleans. I think it goes near the top of my favorite American cities. Looks like Mexico. Being there when it was cold and devoid of mertbros probably helped, mind. I bet it is a nightmare when MARDI GRAS WOOOO! comes to town.

Yeah I liked New Orleans and the French quarters. Bourbon street was quite fun but it would quite quickly start to piss you off. Did nearly get mugged by a homeless lass trying to find my way back to my hotel on tchapotoulllis street. :moop:

Magic
14-01-2018, 07:15 PM
£100 return for two to Milan. Thinking of purchasing this for early Sept. Thoughts? 5 days.

Kikó
14-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Can be a rainy city but it can be nice. Go to Strasbourg.

Spoonsky
14-01-2018, 09:08 PM
I've not been to Milan but from everything I heard it's one of the least nice of the Italian cities, it's just a massive city and the architecture and history isn't special compared to other places.

I'd jump on those flights though and just spend the time somewhere nearby. If you really want to go cliche romantic vacation Verona is two hours away by train. Bergamo is closer to Milan and supposed to be lovely as well.

Spoonsky
14-01-2018, 09:11 PM
Alternatively Lake Como or Lake Garda, supposed to be gorgeous although a lot pricier I'm guessing. Hard to go wrong with those flights though and figuring out the real destination later.

niko_cee
14-01-2018, 10:03 PM
Milan is shit, unless you're into high fashion or La Scala.

Lake Maggiore was pretty good. I stayed here (http://hotelsimplon.com/en/) and it was good. May have been quite pricey.

Magic
14-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Maybe that's why it's so cheap. Can't be arsed with a journey at the other end definitely not taxi ride at most. I'll keep looking.

Raoul Duke
14-01-2018, 10:10 PM
I'm going to Amsterdam over Valentine's for a few days with the missus :rasta:

Magic
14-01-2018, 10:34 PM
What about Rome? Same price.

Raoul Duke
14-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Check out Florence / Bologna / Siena if you're looking at Italy.

Rome would obviously be ace.

ScousePig
14-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Florence is beautiful, and obviously loads to see in Rome.

We're looking at Prague or Budapest in Easter if I can find something reasonable.

Spoonsky
14-01-2018, 11:06 PM
What about Rome? Same price.

Yeah Rome for 5 days in September would be brilliant, there's so much to see in that place. You'll miss the worst of the crowds and weather too.

Magic
14-01-2018, 11:13 PM
:drool:

Will book tomorrow.

Reg
14-01-2018, 11:13 PM
I loved Rome. Beautiful place. 5 days would be similar to my visit there and there's lots to see in that time. I wasn't staying that central but I found the metro was fine (cheap and quiet - although I wasn't usually using it at the busiest times). Once you're central-ish lots can be covered on foot.

Andy
14-01-2018, 11:57 PM
£100 return for two to Milan. Thinking of purchasing this for early Sept. Thoughts? 5 days.

Milan ia nice but you won't need to five days. Also be careful which airport as Bergamo is an hour outside the centre.

Jimmy Floyd
15-01-2018, 12:02 AM
Been in Seville for five days, really is great (also went to Cadiz for a day which was fun). Food here is so good as long as you aren't some blundering oaf who needs it all on one plate. Way of life is far superior - I'd swap it for our GDP and functioning economy.

Only mistake was stumbling into a Catholic-themed bar which had hundreds of pictures of the passion of Christ and the virgin Mary all over the walls, had incense going, and made me feel really quite ill for the rest of the evening.

John
15-01-2018, 12:45 AM
Seville is lovely.

Was that Catholic bar about a hundred yards from the massive cathedral?

Jimmy Floyd
15-01-2018, 08:02 AM
Bit more than that, but fairly close.

Kikó
15-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Check out Florence / Bologna / Siena if you're looking at Italy.

Rome would obviously be ace.

Basically the trip I did last year. Siena is stunning.

phonics
15-01-2018, 12:32 PM
All of Italy is boring and shit. Naples is the only redeeming place and that could definitely get 'shithole' status.

Kikó
15-01-2018, 12:35 PM
You're so fucking wrong.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Full of Italians too :sick:

Adamski
15-01-2018, 05:28 PM
You're so fucking wrong.

You sound surprised.

Giggles
15-01-2018, 05:31 PM
Naples is nothing more than a slum.

Magic
15-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Lol so Rome flights turned out to be more expensive than SkyScanner led me to believe. :(

Smiffy
17-01-2018, 02:39 PM
All set for Egypt. The government website is enough to put you off in itself but I figured we'll be OK.

I'm looking for somewhere April time now. Any suggestions? Sun won't be as important on that one. Budget isn't really an issue but nothing more than £1500.

-james-
17-01-2018, 10:07 PM
In Germany for a bit next week. Any stuff I should see/do in Hamburg or Dusseldorf?

Giggles
22-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Just booked west Cork for the middle of Feb. Haven't spent enough time down there.

Ian
23-01-2018, 09:10 AM
What are people's thoughts on Valencia and Alicante, chaps? I'm flying into one of the two for a wedding in May and trying to decide whether to do a few days to myself first.

hfswjyr
23-01-2018, 09:14 AM
I wasn't too fussed with Valencia personally. Nice enough, but not a whole lot that interested me.

There are some decent beaches, cool markets, and crazy architecture at the science and aquarium.

Jimmy Floyd
23-01-2018, 09:19 AM
What are people's thoughts on Valencia and Alicante, chaps? I'm flying into one of the two for a wedding in May and trying to decide whether to do a few days to myself first.

Alicante is about three hundred square miles of whitewashed apartment blocks. Never been to Valencia but it can't be worse than that.

Lonely Planet says this about Alicante:

The eating scene is exciting and the nightlife is absolutely legendary, whether you're chugging pints with the stag parties at 7pm or twirling on the dance floor with the locals seven hours later.

No ta.

Magic
23-01-2018, 09:21 AM
Whitewashing. :drool:

Ian
23-01-2018, 09:27 AM
No ta.

Yeah, think I'd rather be dead.

Jimmy Floyd
23-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Has anyone ever twirled with any locals? What would they think if I just barged into their regular twirling session, like wanker tourists do in adverts?

-james-
23-01-2018, 09:38 AM
Valencia is brilliant. Better than the vastly overrated Barcelona.

Ian
23-01-2018, 09:43 AM
It's certainly sounding like Valencia is more of a goer.

Has anyone ever twirled with any locals? What would they think if I just barged into their regular twirling session, like wanker tourists do in adverts?

Those loveable foreigners are just killing time until the Brits turn up, mate.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Valencia is nice.

Don't think I've been to Alicante but that quote Jimmy posted means I'll never go.

Pen
23-01-2018, 08:57 PM

Valencia is brilliant. Better than the vastly overrated Barcelona.
This for me too. Enough to see to entertain yourself and the food scene (ugh) was good when I was there for a few weeks. Mind you this was back in 2011 when you just twirled with the locals every day.

Pen
23-01-2018, 09:00 PM
I was in Münich and Füssen for the missus' 30th last weekend (Fri-Mon) and would definitely recommend it as for a long weekend trip. Loads of different kinds of sights, good decently priced restaurants and generally a nice atmosphere. Only surprising downside was that all the menus were in German only and we found the English skills of the locals somewhat lacking several times a day.

Clunge
23-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Loved Munich for a three-day trip.

Bologna is also ace for a short break - vvv cheap flights, and you'll eat like a king for €20-€30 a day but you can certainly do it cheaper than that.

Raoul Duke
23-01-2018, 09:46 PM
I liked Bologna but pretty much ran out of stuff to do after a few hours, once you've mooched up the big tower.

Smiffy
25-01-2018, 09:54 PM
I'm having an amazing time here at the moment. Luxor and the valley of kings was amazing. Cairo on Saturday for pyramids but today's safari was pretty darn good tbf.

Tuesday though I cocked up somewhat. Dude on the street offering hash so we had a little haggle and agreed 500LE, told the Mrs I'd be 2mins whilst she waited inside hotel. I didn't know I had to go in his taxi but I did thinking it was just up the road. We passed a mall which was 25 miles away, through streets, dealer gets out and into car, then to a shop, summit happened, he comes back, driver gets merch, we take dealer back, go down a alley and have a smoke before he takes me back. Thank god...

The part I didn't mention is that lass of mine had my mobile so I couldn't tell her where I was. I was gone nearly an hour. :-/

We laugh now but yeah, I probably didn't think it through and my man Mustafa is now in my good books after I made amends.

I still may not return however.

https://pasteboard.co/H4Cg7x4.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/H4CgrCh.jpg

-james-
26-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Having a week in Germany, taking in the odd football match. Found Hamburg pretty dull, but that's probably because I was there Sunday - Tuesday. Dusseldorf was ace for pottering about and drinking beer, keen on going back. Apparently it's the sushi capital of Europe though I didn't get a chance to try any. Dresden is good, probably the most picturesque German city I've been to, and the bars are great. Waiting on a train to Berlin at the moment.

Football here is so good though. Vibe is always great, and you can drink, smoke and eat a sausage while standing.

Magic
26-01-2018, 05:32 PM
She doesn't want to go on holiday with me. Wants to go with her friends instead. :harold:

I think I'll just divorce the cunt for her 30th. Mortgage finishes in March '19 so won't get fined for early release. :drool:

Bam
26-01-2018, 06:58 PM
She doesn't want to go on holiday with me. Wants to go with her friends instead. :harold:

I think I'll just divorce the cunt for her 30th. Mortgage finishes in March '19 so won't get fined for early release. :drool:

Are you two still together? :|

John
26-01-2018, 07:42 PM
You must be beeling not to have started that with 'LOL'.

Panda Bear
26-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Boydy

Berlin? Break into Teufelsberg where the Cold War-era Allied listening post is. It's pretty easy to get in. There's one guard who barely tries, a chain link fence regularly cut through, and that's it.

Also the Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm Centre by Max Dudler is fucking amazing. It's arguably the most gorgeous library out there.

Panda Bear
26-01-2018, 08:49 PM
I really liked Naples, but that's probably because I liked eating pizza while sitting on the rocks of the bay and watching the tide roll away.

-james-
26-01-2018, 09:12 PM
I think I'd like Naples.

Cities by the sea > cities not by the sea

Magic
26-01-2018, 09:21 PM
Dundee. :drool:

hfswjyr
26-01-2018, 10:17 PM
Naples is a shit hole. Probably the one Trump was referring to. Amalfi coast and Positano are some of the most beautiful places I've ever been, but Naples itself is crap.

Jimmy Floyd
26-01-2018, 10:22 PM
I think I'd like Naples.

Cities by the sea > cities not by the sea

This is true although too often the Europeans waste quality seafronts by leaving them blank or running a dull road around the edge.

Spoonsky
26-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Naples is great. :)

Lewis
26-01-2018, 11:25 PM
Hull is classed as being by the sea because the council had the river designated as coastal in order to pump shit into it.

Adamski
27-01-2018, 01:07 AM
Heading to Berlin in March for a Union game then Leipzig Munich.

-james-
27-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Just in from watergate. Spangled. What a city.

-james-
27-01-2018, 03:39 PM
Not done a post like that in a while. Spent all night doing coke with a 40yo artist from Kansas. Woops.

Dragged my face around the corner to a place called Kimchi Princess, and it's some of the best Korean food I've had.

I went to a Union Berlin game last night, Adam. I went to four different second division games this week and that was probably the most enjoyable. I like how at the start of the game, instead of the announcer saying the players' first names and having the crowd to the rest, he says the whole name and the crowd responds to each with "fußballgott!". The walk to/from the ground through the wooded bit is pretty cool too.

Jimmy Floyd
27-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Why does that call and response name thing sound great in German and unbelievably naff in English? Loved it when I went to Bayern a few times.

Has-san...

SA LI HA MID ZIC

Has-san...

Lewis
27-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Whipping Germans (Bavarians especially) into a frenzy is like shooting fish that have been stunned and placed on top of a barrel.

Magic
27-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Anyone else Google 'Where is Spangled'?

Giggles
27-01-2018, 05:43 PM
No. But that was mainly because I didn't care.

Smiffy
02-02-2018, 08:22 AM
What a lovely experience.

https://youtu.be/wjMjOxUQ3WU

Magic
02-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Were you two the only white people on that trip? :D

Looks like fun though.

P.s I've just spent 12 minutes of my life watching that.

Smiffy
03-02-2018, 07:34 AM
We were pretty much the only Europeans at the hotel let alone the trip. School holidays and some event. I ate sheep and bird tongue soup. The sheep was alright given there's a very real chance I could have fucked it beforehand.

Spikey M
03-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Did you order it on purpose or was it one of those things where they trick you into it? I remember ordering a ‘mixed grill’ in Prague and being presented with some kind of casserole, on top of an as yet unidentified vegetable mash. This was then topped in Cuba, when the ‘cheese selection’ came sat on top of a Guava purée. Why? Just, why?

-james-
03-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Cheese and guava puree sounds grand.

Spikey M
03-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Cheese and guava purée are grand. Perhaps in some kind of cheesecake it would even be nice as a duo. But Mozzarella and feta with it? Nah mate.

Magic
03-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Feta is by far the shittest cheese.

Spikey M
03-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Shut your whore mouth.

Anything Dutch is the worst. Plastic shit.

Smiffy
03-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Feta is a top shelf cheese imo. Lovely stuff.

Magic
03-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Bollocks. If I wanted a salty Hellenic abortion in my mouth I'd suck off Charisteas.

Magic
03-02-2018, 09:38 AM
It's the most basic, simpleton cheese so it's no surprise a pikey and a pikey like it.

Spikey M
03-02-2018, 09:45 AM
I like any cheese that actually has a flavour.

John
03-02-2018, 12:39 PM
It's the most basic, simpleton cheese so it's no surprise a pikey and a pikey like it.

Aye, council estates are absolutely brimming with feta. You thick twat.

Jimmy Floyd
03-02-2018, 12:41 PM
All cheeses have their place (except the rubbery Dutch shite referred to), and the place of Feta is crumbled over soups or salads.

Magic
03-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Aye, council estates are absolutely brimming with feta. You thick twat.

They are.

Lewis
03-02-2018, 01:24 PM
The worst cheese is that extra-super-mature-mega strong cheddar that my mother buys. It looks, feels, and tastes like wax.

Clunge
03-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Portugal booked for a week, mid-May, Lisbon >>> Porto, ending with wedding. Ooof.

-james-
03-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Feta is at it's best baked in the oven, preferably under some tomatoes, peppers and oregano. Like this (http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/01/bouyiourdi.html)

Magic
03-02-2018, 02:00 PM
Portugal booked for a week, mid-May, Lisbon >>> Porto, ending with wedding. Ooof.

:drool:

Edit: unless it's your wedding.

Magic
12-02-2018, 05:00 PM
Anyone been to Budapest?

Also is 4 days too short? Eurgh is 6 days too long? To be childless?

Fuck it, given the return flight is at 0630 I'm going with 6 days.

Booked it. £154 with ShittyAir, that's with fast track and allocated seats.

Raoul Duke
12-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Fuck's sake: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/12/london-city-airport-cancels-all-flights-after-500kg-bomb-found - I'm flying from here tomorrow. They'd better shift this bastard.

Magic
12-02-2018, 06:08 PM
A council spokesman said: “Work will not start on lifting and removing the device until the initial 214-metre zone is clear. When work starts to remove it, it is expected the exclusion zone will be extended to 250 metres and more properties will need to be evacuated.”

:(

Magic
12-02-2018, 06:09 PM
1k overspend on the credit card and it's not even half way through Feb. What the fuck am I doing...

Pepe
12-02-2018, 06:14 PM
What the fuck do you spend money on?

Giggles
12-02-2018, 06:26 PM
What the fuck do you spend money on?

Pending to be middle class.

Magic
12-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Lots of stuff. I've nearly finished two loans though which will be £350 more for me. Tbf last month I booked flights to Portugal as well.

And the car has cost me £400 this month (MOT/Service/ tax).

I've got £200 in expenses due coming in on the 15th and need to put £150 in the bank so it's not all death and starvation.

John Arne
13-02-2018, 04:52 AM
Off to the UK for the first time in 2.5 years this afternoon. Can't wait for the absolute carnage at the airport as 5,000,000 queue up to leave the city.

Mazuuurk
13-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Anyone been to Budapest?

Also is 4 days too short? Eurgh is 6 days too long? To be childless?

Fuck it, given the return flight is at 0630 I'm going with 6 days.

Booked it. £154 with ShittyAir, that's with fast track and allocated seats.

Yes I've been last year, in like March or April or so. Loved it, absolutely great city for having a drink and a laungh. Plenty of impressive buildings to look at as well but that doesn't interest me that much.

I've got a bunch of tips for eating and drinking for you depending on a bit what you wanna do. Going with the wife?

Also, are you flying with WizzAir? Watch the fuck out for those cunts they will charge you ridiculous amounts if you break the slightest "rule" they have, such as checking in online at least 3 hours in advance, having too large a carry on, etc.

Magic
13-02-2018, 08:38 AM
RyanAir so same thing. We've got their rules down to a tee though.

Yes tips appreciated! It's for her 30th. I was looking at one of those river cruise things as well. Looking at booking one of the Three Corner hotels.

Giggles
13-02-2018, 09:00 AM
The only things better than 6 days childless would be 7 and all the numbers above that.

hfswjyr
13-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Everyone goes to Szimpla Kert. Still worth a visit/night out.

I went out to Memento Park to see the old communist statues which was pretty cool, but I enjoy the history of that stuff.

Mazuuurk
13-02-2018, 01:26 PM
RyanAir so same thing. We've got their rules down to a tee though.

Yes tips appreciated! It's for her 30th. I was looking at one of those river cruise things as well. Looking at booking one of the Three Corner hotels.

Ryan Air is bad, but better than these Wizair cunts I guarantee. We had to pay 30 quid per person (!) just to check in (!) at the fucking airport (!!) and another 20 or 30 per "oversized" bag (which was basically anything other than a purse, not a normal carry on).

So we spent more on these random surprise mothafucka-fees on the airport than on the tickets themselves. So yeah.

Anyway. So all we really bothered with was Eating and Drinking. We only were hanging out in Pest (east of the River) where it seems partying and eating etc mostly occurs. Buda on the other side seems a little more fancy and calm, maybe nice if you're looking for something a little swankier and romantic I guess. There's plenty of big fucking buildings looking neat to look at but we didn't bother more than a little stroll (between bars) on the riverside (which btw is surprisingly dull mostly).

You should definitely go to the Ruin Pubs, like hfswjyr said. Szimpla Kert was great I thought but there are a few others worth visiting as well. We went to 3 different ones. Full of stag parties etc so you know what to expect. Queues go faster than they look. Next door there's a little courtyard with Food Trucks which served some pretty good food if you get a bit pissed and need something.

Big Market this Central Market Hall (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274887-d276128-Reviews-Central_Market_Hall-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html) was decent to look at and have a wander around in. It's meant to be good for a simple lunch as well but we never ate there.

Pub: I found For Sale Pub (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d1965935-Reviews-For_Sale_Pub-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html) to be quite cool. Dont eat there but grab a drink, cozy and weird.

Cocktail bar: Warm Up Bar (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274887-d8724122-Reviews-Warmup_Bar-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html) was this tiny little cocktail bar where they made really great cocktails based off of you answering a few questions about what kind of flavours you like.

Cocktail bar: Farm (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d6507873-Reviews-Farm-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html) another good cocktail bar, also a bit cozy. Not as gimmicky but still very much Mixologisty.

Bars/Vintage/Courtyard: this place called this place called Gozdu Udvar (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274887-d276879-Reviews-Gozsdu_Udvar-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html) was really cool it's like a bunch of interconnected Courtyards full of vintage markets and bars and pubs and stuff, in the afternoon it was more look at the vintage stuff and maybe grab a drink or snack and at night it was quite party mode there.

Restaurant: Kispiac (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d3645242-Reviews-Kispiac_Bisztro-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html) was a really great Hungarian little bistro. Very tiny, we didn't book a table but got super lucky to get seated outside (which was a bit chilly in April or May or when it was) but was still worth it, was probably the best restaurant we ate at there.

Hotel: we stayed at This place (http://housebeletage.hu/) which was very tiny and alright. Pretty rooms, not the greatest breakfeast but OK and good location and not too pricey. Dunno if you booked hotel yet?

Other tips:
If you wanna go to these bath houses, we went to this one called Gellert Hotel which is one of the famous ones. Honestly, I didn't think it was worth it. It's quite full of people and while the buildings are cool and all, it's just a massive bath house and doesn't feel that good value for money either (which almost everything else in Budapest did).

Make sure to Book well in advance on restaurants, we made the mistake of thinking even smaller restaurants can be booked the same day.

We took Taxis everywhere. It felt worth it, wasn't very expensive and Budapest is much larger than you think it is (or than what I thought it was gonna be anyway). You look at the map and think oh thats easy to walk, but then it takes 30-40 minutes instead of the 10 you expected and someone gets Hangry.

Also this is highly individual obviously but we found eating Hungarian food is nice but 1-2 meals of it is really enough. After that we had some Burgers and ate an an Italian restaurant or some such, so when booking Restaurants I would recommend looking for a bit of variety. If you go to the really swanky places then maybe it doesn't matter as they put such a spin on stuff.

But I'd be a bit wary as well, we went to this place called Borbirosag which had great reviews, and they cooked some decent food but then sort of ruined it by sticking some raspberry sauce on your meat or something a little too funky like that - you know places that try a little too hard.

Sir Andy Mahowry
13-02-2018, 01:31 PM
I fly all the time with Wizzair, be better Maz.

Magic
13-02-2018, 04:20 PM
RyanAir charge £50 to checkin at the airport so lol @ Wizair being better.

And lol at Maz for not checking in online.

Mazuuurk
13-02-2018, 05:13 PM
I wasn't in charge of checking in. I would have checked the fuck in in time if that was my job.

Pen
13-02-2018, 07:46 PM
I went out to Memento Park to see the old communist statues which was pretty cool, but I enjoy the history of that stuff.

I went ages ago so can’t really comment on restaurants and bars, but I really liked Memento Park as well. House of terror or whatever the old secret police headquarters were called were great as well (really dark and depressing) in a historic sense.

Pen
13-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Also we walked everywhere and didn’t think anything was that far out. The Old Castle hill was pretty decent too.

Magic
13-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Everyone goes to Szimpla Kert. Still worth a visit/night out.

:thbup:

Will check it out.

Magic
13-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Also we walked everywhere and didn’t think anything was that far out. The Old Castle hill was pretty decent too.

We're staying at the Three Corners Anna (my ex's name :harold:) which is right in the centre too.

hfswjyr
14-02-2018, 05:04 AM
I went ages ago so can’t really comment on restaurants and bars, but I really liked Memento Park as well. House of terror or whatever the old secret police headquarters were called were great as well (really dark and depressing) in a historic sense.

You've just reminded me. If you're into this (House of Terror was cool - probably a bit too artsy for me, but nonetheless), there's also Hospital in the Rock which is about the uprising.

Then obviously the main chain bridge and the Parliament house are both incredible on the Danube.

Giggles
18-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Wolverhampton for 3 nights this coming week. How grim is it on a scale of 0 to Corby?

Jimmy Floyd
18-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Corby.

John
18-02-2018, 04:49 PM
How the Dickens is Corby the top end of any scale?

Giggles
18-02-2018, 04:50 PM
How the Dickens is Corby the top end of any scale?

Top of the grimmest scale. It's the 11/10 of grim that I've experienced.

Spikey M
18-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Did you get bullied for having creased trousers or something?

:baz:

Magic
18-02-2018, 11:15 PM
Jesus Christ, I elected to stay overnight in Aberdeen to get some decent sleep rather than leave at 0530 on Monday.

I'm currently on the 5th floor, and all I can hear is dance music, people shouting, cars revving and fucking seagulls.

I've googled the clubs on this street and they all shut at 3am. :D

FML.

Edit: it's actually so loud I can tell the exact songs they're playing. Call On Me. Single glazed windows too. I'd get home at 1 if I left now but I'd have to leave again at 6 probably.

Magic
19-02-2018, 07:36 AM
Well that was disgusting. Music stopped at 2 but the screaming etc didn't subside until 3. Got a couple of hours before traffic woke me up again.

Kikó
19-02-2018, 07:53 AM
Did you not read reviews of the place?

On a similar note, I tried that at Heathrow once. Sleep next to the airport so I don't need to commute for an hour. The room temperature was about 120° without the Aircon and then with it, you may as well have slept on the runway because it was that loud. FML.

Giggles
19-02-2018, 08:03 AM
Ear plugs.

Magic
19-02-2018, 08:19 AM
Did you not read reviews of the place?

On a similar note, I tried that at Heathrow once. Sleep next to the airport so I don't need to commute for an hour. The room temperature was about 120° without the Aircon and then with it, you may as well have slept on the runway because it was that loud. FML.

No. They are one of our customers and it was pretty swanky inside when I did a survey of the place. That was during working hours. To be fair the room was actually quite nice, bed wasn't that comfy but it was ok. When 11PM came that's when it all went tits up. I specifically said business so the fact they put me in a fucking room facing the clubs is not on.

I didn't have a go because it was a French girl on reception who wouldn't have cared about my plight anyway.

Giggles
19-02-2018, 03:34 PM
I never ever knew that the lump of Wales that Holyhead is on isn't actually joined by land to the rest of Wales.

Giggles
24-02-2018, 07:46 AM
You need to get some proper signage on your service stations over there. 24hr Services should mean the cunting thing is open for more than fuel.

Also, no wonder you lot are better drivers than us on the whole, the road layouts are dangerous as fuck so you'd need to be.

Spikey M
24-02-2018, 07:59 AM
Tenerife tomorrow. :cool:

Giggles
24-02-2018, 08:00 AM
Tenerife tomorrow. :cool:

Great time for a bit of a sun jolly. Nearly March and fucking freezing here still.

Boydy
24-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Oh yeah, Berlin was fucking great, lads. I'm gonna move to Germany.

Spikey M
24-02-2018, 11:43 AM
No you’re not. #Brexit :cool:

Boydy
24-02-2018, 11:55 AM
I've got an Irish passport. :baz:

Spikey M
24-02-2018, 12:02 PM
I don’t know if I’m allowed one or not. I think the Nan that I’ve never met is from over there but I’m not sure. It could have been her parents. Do great grandparents count?

If not I’ll have to go for an Antiguan Passport. :baz:

Giggles
24-02-2018, 01:09 PM
I've got an Irish passport. :baz:

:nono: our fucking sell out government of the time.

Spikey M
26-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Tenerife, Day 1:

An ~8 year old Irish kid called someone a ‘fucking sausage’.
A German woman knocked my kid over.

Fucking Nazi’s and their collaborators at it again.

Giggles
26-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Tenerife, Day 1:

An ~8 year old Irish kid called someone a ‘fucking sausage’.
A German woman knocked my kid over.

Fucking Nazi’s and their collaborators at it again.

Hopefully there's some Americans around to sort them out.

Jimmy Floyd
26-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Hardly surprising given what the 8 year old said, sausages are no laughing matter for our teutonic chums.

Spikey M
26-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Hopefully there's some Americans around to sort them out.

I’d take Hitler over a load of Yanks.

Spikey M
03-03-2018, 09:47 PM
The food here as been pretty poor all week, but tonight took the fucking piss. It’s ‘European night’ at the buffet and the choices include ‘Cabbage with Raisins’ and ‘Hake and Salami casserole’.

Just had a Pizza from a Snazzy joint up the road. TUI will be the death of Thompson.

Magic
03-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Where are you? Some teletext holiday no doubt.

Spikey M
03-03-2018, 09:57 PM
https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/europe/spain/tenerife/playa-de-la-arena/hotels/be-live-family-costa-los-gigantes.html

Magic
03-03-2018, 10:02 PM
:D

Oh dear.

Spikey M
03-03-2018, 10:10 PM
Sorry, Captain 5*.

Magic
03-03-2018, 10:12 PM
Had the runs yet?

wullie
03-03-2018, 10:23 PM
We went there the other year, more in Los Gigantes itself near the harbour. Place called the Fisherman's Inn was incredible.

Giggles
03-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Sorry, Captain 5*.

Captain pretends-he's-5*

-james-
06-03-2018, 02:48 PM
The missus and I fancy going to Italy for a few days in April. Direct us, TTH. Eating and mooching the priorities.

I've been to Rome and Venice before and I'm not terribly fussed about going again, so skip those.

Kikó
06-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Go to Siena. It's gorgeous.

Jimmy Floyd
06-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Does it have to be a city? Tuscany outside Florence and Pisa is amazing. Hilltop towns and the like with amazing food. And Florence is actually OK if you accept the yank arseholes clogging everywhere up.

Serj
06-03-2018, 08:13 PM
It was about 40 degrees when I was in Siena, so I didn't enjoy that one as much as I could have, but it's a beautiful place. Enjoyed Lucca a lot as well. Can't really go wrong with Tuscany, whatever you end up doing.

Raoul Duke
06-03-2018, 11:13 PM
The missus and I fancy going to Italy for a few days in April. Direct us, TTH. Eating and mooching the priorities.

I've been to Rome and Venice before and I'm not terribly fussed about going again, so skip those.

Florence/Bologna/Siena/Pisa - all super easy to get to from Florence and phenomenal places to visit.

-james-
06-03-2018, 11:34 PM
Cheers, dears.

Bologna and Pisa look pretty convenient to fly to, so I'll have a scout around there.

Jimmy Floyd
07-03-2018, 12:05 AM
Pisa is good for flying into but you need to get out of it within minutes, or preferably even seconds.

hfswjyr
07-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Avoid Pisa and Napoli.

Florence and the Amalfi Coast are great.

wullie
07-03-2018, 08:49 AM
We'd have gone back to Lake Garda for the second time in three years last summer if we hadn't left it so late.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-03-2018, 01:49 PM
I do love US Visa questions.

Do you seek to engage in or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage, or genocide?

Well I've dabbled in a bit of light genocide but that shouldn't really rule me out, should it?

John Arne
15-03-2018, 02:12 PM
I do love US Visa questions.

Do you seek to engage in or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage, or genocide?

Well I've dabbled in a bit of light genocide but that shouldn't really rule me out, should it?

Apparently it's so they can throw out foreigners guilty of those crimes (in the future) for "lying on their visa application", rather than having to follow other protocol. That's the rumour, anyway.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Apparently it's so they can throw out foreigners guilty of those crimes (in the future) for "lying on their visa application", rather than having to follow other protocol. That's the rumour, anyway.

Must be.

I can't imagine anyone has ever clicked yes (for the bantz maybe oioi).

Mazuuurk
20-03-2018, 08:05 AM
Heading to New Orleans tomorrow.

Bout to gain 7 kg :drool:

-james-
30-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Just spent a day and a half on Mull. The weather being great and there barely being anyone there enhanced it, but what a brilliant place.

Giggles
30-03-2018, 08:12 PM
Dresden worth seeing?

-james-
30-03-2018, 08:31 PM
I'm a fan. Good for pottering about and there's some good bars in the altstadt area. Definitely try and get to a Dynamo Dresden home game if there's one on.

Giggles
31-03-2018, 11:08 AM
I'm a fan. Good for pottering about and there's some good bars in the altstadt area. Definitely try and get to a Dynamo Dresden home game if there's one on.

Wouldn't be bothered going to a football match at all, but there looks to be some great scenery outside the city.

Sir Andy Mahowry
02-04-2018, 10:52 AM
In the lounge at Gatwick and according to the bartender 'Rak-Su' just came in.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-04-2018, 01:18 AM
Premium economy was grand but as per it took ages for passport control. We also stupidly booked the car for San Francisco airport despite arriving at Oakland \0/.

Edit: They gave us a Dodge Journey with 33k miles on the clock. It's probably better than the Hyundai we were going to get.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-04-2018, 01:36 AM
Alcatraz is amazing and incredibly eerie, they've done a really good job with the audio tour as well with former guards/prisoners and shit.

Also got a walk-through on how the doors work (they were on a manual gear thing which controls 13 cells, they can be opened one by one, in a combo or all 13).

Got to go into a solitary confinement cell and they're a good bit smaller than the actual cells with no lights or bed. Must have been fucking torture.

John
07-04-2018, 08:17 PM
One of my mates is off to work in Iraq for a few months. He's in Baghdad initially, and the hotel he's staying in provides body armour in every room and advertises 'minimal IS activity' on its website. Would not be me.

He's off to Erbil after that, which should be a bit safer.

Lewis
07-04-2018, 08:22 PM
How many grand an hour is he getting?

John
07-04-2018, 08:27 PM
He'll make somewhere around sixty five for the whole trip, but everything is paid for while he's there so he comes back with the lot.

Boydy
07-04-2018, 08:44 PM
What does he do?

John
07-04-2018, 09:39 PM
What does he do?

Electrician.

Magic
08-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Is it an army thing? Can't see the local government paying that.

Sir Andy Mahowry
09-04-2018, 06:06 AM
https://i.imgur.com/k23syOs.jpg

The mother of dragons pays out :drool:

Went back and lost a bit but from $20 I'm happy.

Also drove through downtown LA today and Christ, it's just covered with homeless people.

Sir Andy Mahowry
14-04-2018, 12:53 AM
Tried some blackjack before leaving with $150. Ended up cashing out $310 along with some chips as souvenirs and a half dollar.

Went to Vegas with $35 set aside to gamble with and I'm leaving with $510. I also spent another $100 or so of winnings on some gifts and shit.

wullie
22-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Looking to go to Rome for a few days hopefully at the end of May, what are the areas I should look at staying?

Spikey M
22-04-2018, 02:01 PM
The outskirts. Somewhere around southern France should do it.

Foe
22-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Electrician.

A bit like that in oil and gas. I could technically go and work in Algeria, Angola, Iraq or Mauritania / Senegal but fuck that. The day rate in Iraq is something silly like a grand.

Baku, Houston or I'll stay where I am, thanks.

Magic
22-04-2018, 04:45 PM
A bit like that in oil and gas. I could technically go and work in Algeria, Angola, Iraq or Mauritania / Senegal but fuck that. The day rate in Iraq is something silly like a grand.

Can't be any worse than the Deen.

Giggles
22-04-2018, 04:46 PM

Which one of you is the doctor then?

Spoonsky
22-04-2018, 11:50 PM
Looking to go to Rome for a few days hopefully at the end of May, what are the areas I should look at staying?

Trastevere. You're slightly farther from the prime sights but it's a far nicer and less touristic area.

wullie
23-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Cheers, that looks close enough to everything still. We were recommended somewhere around Piazza Barberini which looks good location-wise too.

-james-
04-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Spent the week in Madrid. Sooner or later I'm going to to have to live here. Monday, preferably.

Mazuuurk
04-05-2018, 01:04 PM
I always get that feeling whenever I go to New Orleans. But then I sort of realize that I don't think what you do there (eat and drink loads basically) is a very sustainable lifestyle and probably loses it's charm after a while. Also the weather sucks half the year.

Pepe
04-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Doesn't the weather suck 11 months of the year over there?

Dquincy
04-05-2018, 05:59 PM
If you consider having four seasons in one day.

Raoul Duke
04-05-2018, 09:18 PM
I always get that feeling whenever I go to New Orleans. But then I sort of realize that I don't think what you do there (eat and drink loads basically) is a very sustainable lifestyle and probably loses it's charm after a while. Also the weather sucks half the year.

If you stay somewhere for > 3 weeks then reality hits and the "holiday feeling" wears off. The minute you run out of pants and have to do some washing, for example.

-james-
04-05-2018, 09:24 PM

This is true, but the ability to eat and drink in this manner whenever I please is what appeals.

Boydy
04-05-2018, 10:14 PM
What's stopping you moving? Don't you make a living off gambling?

Jimmy Floyd
04-05-2018, 10:29 PM
Our food in the UK is still ultimately bollocks, and nowhere is that more true than in Glasgow.

phonics
04-05-2018, 11:28 PM
This is true, but the ability to eat and drink in this manner whenever I please is what appeals.

That's just Mediterranean Europe though. Could do it somewhere much cheaper/nicer than Madrid.

-james-
05-05-2018, 04:39 AM
What's stopping you moving? Don't you make a living off gambling?

The missus. I am working on it.

Our food in the UK is still ultimately bollocks, and nowhere is that more true than in Glasgow.
Glasgow actually has pretty good eating, and I'm not just talking about munchie boxes. But no, it doesn't compare.

It's the lack of a summer I'm also looking to escape.

That's just Mediterranean Europe though. Could do it somewhere much cheaper/nicer than Madrid.

It would have to be Spain, and Valencia is the only other city that appeals. Madrid probably wins on English speaking job prospects.

Jimmy Floyd
05-05-2018, 06:24 AM
Food and weather are intertwined. In January I went to Cádiz for a day and had fresh clams on an outside table with a bottle of white. Was I doing that in Chertsey in January? Was I fuck.

Spikey M
05-05-2018, 06:32 AM
The whole world to choose from, and you want to move to Spain. That’s lol enough, but a motivating factor being ‘job prospects’ seals it.

-james-
05-05-2018, 08:45 AM
The whole world to choose from, and you want to move to Spain. That’s lol enough, but a motivating factor being ‘job prospects’ seals it.

Where else? Could probably make a case for Australia but it takes a day to get there. There's just a magnetism that draws me to southern Europe.

Job prospects aren't a motivating factor, but the other half needs to be able to do something with her time.

Spikey M
05-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Nobody wants to live in Spain, not even Spanish people. As far as the job prospects bit, only Greece is worse, but it’s better at literally everything else. But yeah, if you want Southern Europe particularly, then I guess Spain is probably the best bet. I mean, Magic jizzes all over Portugal 3 times a year, but that’s basically just Spain with more expensive, well, everything.

Foe
05-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Just go and live in Germany. Plenty warm in the summer, they mandate English speaking in the school as a second language so should have loads of job prospects.

Giggles
14-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Boat and days off booked for start of June to Wales/England. Still thinking Cornwall but are there any other areas good to spend a week (not cities)? Anyone recommend decent hotels in the SW?

Magic
14-05-2018, 04:26 PM
James come to the East Coast. It's MILES sunnier than Glasgow.

Nobody wants to live in Spain, not even Spanish people. As far as the job prospects bit, only Greece is worse, but it’s better at literally everything else. But yeah, if you want Southern Europe particularly, then I guess Spain is probably the best bet. I mean, Magic jizzes all over Portugal 3 times a year, but that’s basically just Spain with more expensive, well, everything.

Lisboa is the tech capital of Europe.

Up and coming tech capital.

John
14-05-2018, 04:43 PM
James come to the East Coast. It's MILES sunnier than Glasgow.

There are prison cells that are miles sunnier than Glasgow.

Magic
14-05-2018, 04:45 PM
James we're in the top 10 in the WSJ of places to visit. Why wouldn't you want to live here (apart from Waff)?

John
14-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Look at you angling for a mate. :D

Magic
14-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Changed to PM to prevent jealousy.

Raoul Duke
14-05-2018, 08:34 PM
Lisboa is the tech capital of Europe.

Nonce

Magic
14-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Nonce

@Kiko knows.

Ian
17-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Valencia on Monday. :)

Any recommendations of specific things I ought to be doing?

hfswjyr
18-05-2018, 06:08 AM
Great empty beaches, awesome nightlife by the fountain in the middle of old town, those buildings around the Oceanografic has some insane architecture, great market hall.
And paella.

Mazuuurk
18-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Maybe I'm out of the loop but:

- Isn't Portugal dead cheap because their economy is thrashed? My mom was recently there and said a mid-range restaurant meal for 3 was about 30 quid with wine etc.
- Since when does any Tech companies reside in Lisbon? Or is Magic just taking the piss?

Ian
19-05-2018, 08:33 AM
Great empty beaches, awesome nightlife by the fountain in the middle of old town, those buildings around the Oceanografic has some insane architecture, great market hall.
And paella.

:thbup:

Raoul Duke
19-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Maybe I'm out of the loop but:

- Isn't Portugal dead cheap because their economy is thrashed? My mom was recently there and said a mid-range restaurant meal for 3 was about 30 quid with wine etc.
- Since when does any Tech companies reside in Lisbon? Or is Magic just taking the piss?

I didn't find it that cheap when we were out there.

It's got some tech scene out there, but definitely well down the pecking order. In Europe it's probably in the top ten, but towards the latter end.

Ian
21-05-2018, 06:23 PM
The massive park / series of parks that loops around Valencia town centre is pretty swish.

wullie
04-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Rome was great, would go again but without the cold that wiped me out halfway through each day. Found the best way to cross the road without being killed is to wait about 20 seconds for the next priest to wander across.