PDA

View Full Version : The Travel Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17

Giggles
24-10-2022, 03:39 PM
Also, I mean regular person all inclusive. Not doctor money to the Maldives type.

randomlegend
24-10-2022, 03:39 PM
It’s a scam because a lot of places are just doing x amount of drinks and x amount of food, so it’s really not all inclusive. I was asking if there are any real all inclusive places left.

Ah ok I get you. Well then I can confirm there are at least some places left. I think the one we are going to in Greece with the wife's family next year (Ikos Dassia) is properly all inclusive as well.

Giggles
24-10-2022, 03:41 PM
Ah ok I get you. Well then I can confirm there are at least some places left. I think the one we are going to in Greece with the wife's family next year (Ikos Dacia) is properly all inclusive as well.

Will it actually be though or have you signed something in a small print to say it’s basically a more expensive holiday. The whole world is a fucking scam these days.

randomlegend
24-10-2022, 03:41 PM
Also, I mean regular person all inclusive. Not doctor money to the Maldives type.

I imagine I earn less than you think I do to be honest.

randomlegend
24-10-2022, 03:45 PM
Will it actually be though or have you signed something in a small print to say it’s basically a more expensive holiday. The whole world is a fucking scam these days.

It was booked by her parents but it seems to be genuinely all inclusive. I think it is pretty mad expensive though.

The Maldives was our honeymoon, it's not something we can afford to do willy-nilly.

Andy
24-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Ah ok I get you. Well then I can confirm there are at least some places left. I think the one we are going to in Greece with the wife's family next year (Ikos Dassia) is properly all inclusive as well.

Ikos is amazing, it really is completely all inclusive. The first time we went we stayed in one of the deluxe suites and they were bringing us bottles of Moet most days. We are going back again in April.

I think we we had a private dinner on the beach, couples massages and water sports all included. Probably more stuff but I spent the whole two weeks hammered.

Kikó
24-10-2022, 07:14 PM
Spain knocked all inclusive on the head this year limiting it to 4 drinks. I'd be absolutely fuming if I paid extra for that shit.

Giggles
24-10-2022, 07:22 PM
Spain, as in was it some sort of legislation nationwide or just one did it and the rest followed suit?

Kikó
24-10-2022, 07:25 PM
It's law. https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/spain-inclusive-drink-rule-explained-23935910?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Giggles
24-10-2022, 07:27 PM
Good to know it’s a blanket avoid then. You can be guaranteed it’s still being sold and charged for.

Sir Andy Mahowry
24-10-2022, 07:28 PM
A lot of those places were always a blanket avoid.

An all inclusive in Ibiza must be hell.

randomlegend
24-10-2022, 09:11 PM
Isn't some of Ibiza meant to be really nice?

SvN
25-10-2022, 08:24 AM
I think Mahow is basing his opinion from his multiple rewatches of Kevin & Perry Go Large.

Ben
25-10-2022, 08:25 AM
Ibiza is awesome. Both as a 18 year-old pill head and as a family destination. For a tiny island it's got everything.

Baz
25-10-2022, 09:03 AM
Never heard of this all-inclusive change. Just checked and thankfully Lanzarote (and the canaries in general) aren’t included :)

Jimmy Floyd
25-10-2022, 09:25 AM
It's only the Balearics. Eyeball Paul is probably mayor by now and wanting to keep the riff-raff out.

Don
25-10-2022, 11:28 AM
A ban on all-inclusives in the Canary Islands would not be possible as from what I hear that's their sole purpose.

Spikey M
25-10-2022, 11:43 AM
It’s a scam because a lot of places are just doing X (normally low single digits) amount of drinks and limited food, so it’s really not all inclusive. Plus more restrictions on where you had your ‘all inclusive’ and what you could actually have. I was asking if there are any real all inclusive places left.

Ours was all inclusive in Turkey. No limits on anything. Obviously the alcohol was all local and the Efes came in 300ml servings, but you could have as much as you liked.

The food was fine if unspectacular.

Mike
25-10-2022, 12:27 PM
Was it someone on here who went all inclusive and found out that meant 4 beers a day at their chosen destination?

Nah, unlimited. They even have a pour your own beer pump to save asking the person behind the bar. The hotel have part of the beach too, and a bar there that is part of the all inclusive thing.

Mike
25-10-2022, 09:06 PM
The drinks are all brand names too. Unless they run out. The evening bar has just ran out of kahlua are kept apologising for having to use an off brand version.

Clunge
26-10-2022, 06:30 AM
Norway - we’ve bedn lucky with the weather for the most part. Yes, it is chilly (0-5C most days) and yes, it’s not light until 8.30/9 and dark by 6ish at the moment but the landscape is magnificent. I’m on a work trip but we’ve headed from Tromso south to Trondheim by ship, and then roadtripped south and west to Bergen for a night train to Oslo. Flying back tonight. Definitely vvv pricy (we’re talking £10-£15 for drinks) but thsnkfully I’ve not been paying. But with a few economies, it can be done cheaply enough - and it’s worth it to see the country. The fjords are incredible.

Re Madeira for those that were talking about it - very easy to get to and get around if you hire a car. And unlike Notway, super cheap for the most-part (cheaper than mainland Portugal so main courses £10-£20).

Ian
26-10-2022, 06:34 AM
Right lads, I've got a few days in London to occupy myself with. What touristy shit is worth doing if I haven't done it before / since about 25 years ago?

Last time I was down I made a point of doing a couple of the museums (Natural History and British) and just a lot of planning any walking around notable landmarks and things to look at.

What else should I be trying to see at least the once while I have the chance? Is the London Eye any good / entirely weather dependent? Imperial War Museum? Aside from the parks which I will wander about if it's not pissing down those are the obvious things I spotted a walk / short tube jaunt from where I'm staying.

Ian
26-10-2022, 06:36 AM
Oh and I'll also be sure to go and have a look at Stamford Bridge. Never been there and you can't pass up the chance to have a gawk at the hallowed grounds where Frode Grodas once played

Raoul Duke
26-10-2022, 06:45 AM
Right lads, I've got a few days in London to occupy myself with. What touristy shit is worth doing if I haven't done it before / since about 25 years ago?

Last time I was down I made a point of doing a couple of the museums (Natural History and British) and just a lot of planning any walking around notable landmarks and things to look at.

What else should I be trying to see at least the once while I have the chance? Is the London Eye any good / entirely weather dependent? Imperial War Museum? Aside from the parks which I will wander about if it's not pissing down those are the obvious things I spotted a walk / short tube jaunt from where I'm staying.

Transport Museum is pretty good (or was when I went years ago). The major museums are what they are - mostly great, so just pick whichever you fancy. There's some galleries like the Tate/National/V&A etc. too. Greenwich/Southwark is not a bad area for a wander. I also love Clerkenwell/Old St/Angel/Shoreditch - loads of cool bars and restaurants but not much in the way of sights. Bermondsey Beer Mile would likely be up your street.

niko_cee
26-10-2022, 06:58 AM
Walk the Regents Canal.

It's probably been gentrified to fuck by now, but Islington going east if you want grit [you can end up having an omelette Arnold Bennett in The Grapes in Limehouse] or head west for Camden and then the otherworldly experience of Regents Park and then into Little Venice.

Ian
26-10-2022, 07:09 AM
Bermondsey Beer Mile would likely be up your street.

Done it before and doing it again Saturday because I'm very predictable. :D

Hadn't considered art galleries. Never done one before because it's not my thing but I'll maybe have a look and see if there's one near anywhere I'm already planning to go and see if I hate it / can rule out going to one ever again.

Clunge
26-10-2022, 09:20 AM
Regents Canal is a good shout. Start at Kings X and walk round to Camden market and then stroll up Primrose Hill and loop back to Regents Park.

Great food pubs - Canton Arms (Stockwell), Anchor and Hope (Waterloo), both part of the same group.

Good pubs - The Harp (Charing Cross), Southampton Arms (Kentish Town). Ii went to the Spread Eagle in Wandsworth recently which was quite cool - near Battersea Power Station too which is worth a look now it’s been regenerated.

Transport Museum is a good shout, Design Museum is great too. Worth a mooch round the Barbican as well. A matinee at the Globe is great and yard tickets are only a fiver (investment of three to four hours though). Greenwich Observatory too.

Sky bar in the Walkie Talkie building is supposed to be great and it’s free to enter, I think.

Borough Market always a good shout, and there are obviously absolutely loads more foodie markets.

Jimmy Floyd
26-10-2022, 09:25 AM
National Gallery is very much worth it even if you're not massive on art. National Maritime Museum is a belter as well though that's slightly more out the way in Greenwich.

London Eye, and I say this as someone whose job it once was to do undercover reviews of the staff on the London Eye, is alright if you like looking down at cities from a height. Otherwise, I dunno.

randomlegend
26-10-2022, 09:32 AM
The Tate is absolute wank.

Edit: by which I mean the Tate Modern; Tate Britain might be good.

Spikey M
26-10-2022, 09:39 AM
All art galleries are shite and I am convinced that everyone knows that this is true, some people just pretend otherwise.

Baz
26-10-2022, 09:46 AM
Done it before and doing it again Saturday because I'm very predictable. :D
My mate made this website: https://thehoppypoet.com/

Not sure how maintained it is.

Josh
26-10-2022, 10:23 AM
From someone that lives in East London and drinks a lot of craft beer, this us a very good website and includes everything.

Can your mate extend to the rest of London please?

Baz
26-10-2022, 10:28 AM
From someone that lives in East London and drinks a lot of craft beer, this us a very good website and includes everything.

Can your mate extend to the rest of London please?

“Hahaha it took me months of good out... Boozing... I could give it a go haha.

It's a tough one as I need to code and integrate all the images and maps. Need to get this one 100% first. Need to add few more places that opened recently. “

He then plugged his Instagram.

SvN
26-10-2022, 10:30 AM
Haha

Spikey M
26-10-2022, 10:39 AM
Haha indeed.

Ian
26-10-2022, 11:30 AM
London Eye, and I say this as someone whose job it once was to do undercover reviews of the staff on the London Eye, is alright if you like looking down at cities from a height. Otherwise, I dunno.

Hmm, maybe not for thirty quid then. Not sure what else I'd have been expecting right enough.

All art galleries are shite and I am convinced that everyone knows that this is true, some people just pretend otherwise.

I think I know it in my heart to be true but if there's one that's not out of the way of something else I decided to do I may as well go and have a gander for free entry.

Jimmy Floyd
26-10-2022, 11:56 AM
Aside from Spikey's philistinism, the National Gallery has such a great and accessible collection that if you're ever going to enjoy art it will start there. You've got at least 30 proper Champions League paintings in there. The other galleries are more your lunchtime kickoff Championship affairs.

Giggles
26-10-2022, 12:16 PM
“Bottle shops” :sick:

Shindig
26-10-2022, 07:13 PM
I think I know it in my heart to be true but if there's one that's not out of the way of something else I decided to do I may as well go and have a gander for free entry.

That's kind of my approach. It's a way to kill time rather than broadening my cultural horizons. Hell, last time my horizons shrank. I realised I genuinely hate pop art.

-james-
03-01-2023, 03:08 PM
Just been denied check in on my flight to Greece today because my passport expires in 85 days. I think I knew about the three month thing somewhere in the back of my mind but didn't connect the dots. For fucks sake.

Waffdon
03-01-2023, 03:21 PM
What’s the point of an expiry date if you can’t use it when you have over 2 months left.

7om
03-01-2023, 03:26 PM
Just been denied check in on my flight to Greece today because my passport expires in 85 days. I think I knew about the three month thing somewhere in the back of my mind but didn't connect the dots. For fucks sake.

Can you apply for an emergency travel document?

-james-
03-01-2023, 03:30 PM
Can you apply for an emergency travel document?

Nah no chance. Maybe if I'd bothered checking in before I was on the bus to the airport. £200 express passport into £300 of alternate flights is the equation. Shocker.

Ben
03-01-2023, 03:33 PM
Isn't that just a case of computer says no, and an old school check in at the desk will get you on?

-james-
03-01-2023, 03:35 PM
When I tried to check in on my phone it told me to go to the desk. I had the supervisor come down and was told the airline cops a hefty (EU) fine if you get turned away at passport control at your destination.

randomlegend
03-01-2023, 03:38 PM
Underperforming your xTravel there lad.

SvN
03-01-2023, 03:50 PM
Why were you flying to Greece? Just out of interest, trying to weigh up how big of a cock up this is.

niko_cee
03-01-2023, 03:52 PM
What’s the point of an expiry date if you can’t use it when you have over 2 months left.

Yeah, those within X time of expiry rules are pure bullshit. What are they protecting against? If you have return travel booked whilst the thing is still valid it makes zero sense [other than in a bureaucratic nightmare sort of way]. EU you say? Yes, yes, I'm sure everyone has them.

-james-
03-01-2023, 03:55 PM
Why were you flying to Greece? Just out of interest, trying to weigh up how big of a cock up this is.

Seeing family. Quite rare we have the four of us in the same place at the same time, so quite a big cock up.

Boydy
03-01-2023, 03:55 PM

Don't his parents live there?

-james-
06-01-2023, 02:18 PM
Got my new passport and the picture is truly awful. Hungover, unshaved, hair all over the place. Looking forward to being taken into a room whenever I try and enter a country.

Don
06-01-2023, 02:22 PM
This is 2022, they can't touch us out of fear, it's the suited clean-shaven white men that are in for it now.

Jimmy Floyd
06-01-2023, 02:25 PM
Travelling through airports with the Arab - me on a British passport, him on an Iraqi passport - was fun. The Germans in particular were no fans of his general existence.

Waffdon
06-01-2023, 03:53 PM
Booked up for another cruise in April. This time to Sicily, Corsica, Pompeii, Capri and Civitavecchia (for Rome I think). £875.00 PP after discounts. Should be slightly better weather wise - wanted to do Caribbean or Miami this year but dates just don’t tie in with school teachers annoyingly.

-james-
06-01-2023, 05:56 PM
£875 each to be surrounded by the general public all day. Christ.

Ben
06-01-2023, 05:59 PM
At least he’ll probably make it through passport control.

randomlegend
06-01-2023, 06:05 PM
:D

Shindig
06-01-2023, 07:15 PM
Honestly, cruises sound like a great way to see a lot of places in a relatively short space of time. And to get really, really ill.

I'm heading to Chicago in March.

Pepe
06-01-2023, 07:54 PM
Chicago :cool:

Might still be cold as fuck in March though.

Shindig
06-01-2023, 08:02 PM
Yeah, it's looking pretty British.

Waffdon
06-01-2023, 08:20 PM
Their winters are far worse than ours. Dunno about March though.

Shindig
14-01-2023, 08:55 PM
It's booked. 7 days and a trip through Dublin airport on the way back. Top Ireland. :cool:

Don
14-01-2023, 10:21 PM
We'll all chip in for a video blog and you can have a free trip. £50 from me.

Raoul Duke
14-01-2023, 10:30 PM
It's booked. 7 days and a trip through Dublin airport on the way back. Top Ireland. :cool:

I hope you enjoy massive metallic beans and grid-based traffic systems.

The Field Museum was pretty cool as well. Loads to totem poles and other Ancient Americas type stuff

Ben
20-01-2023, 09:31 PM
Anyone been to Dubrovnik? Got an open week in May and this is top contender at the moment.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-01-2023, 09:38 PM
Croatia in general is class.

Manc
02-02-2023, 04:30 PM
1621177297217916931?s=20&t=jZ0hivwiS39MjCpADmt8Mg[/url]

Shindig
18-03-2023, 02:07 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64994967

Oof. Glad I'll not have to deal with that on my way home.

niko_cee
18-03-2023, 04:49 PM
Probably end up running better when they get the army in to do it unlike the usual G4S drones [as with the border force strike]. That or a good terrorism window.

Jimmy Floyd
18-03-2023, 06:26 PM
I'm in Valencia this weekend for the Fallas festival. Stupidest decision of my life. Entire city ground to a standstill so that some massive effigies can be set on fire and 10 year old children launch Catherine wheels down busy streets as their parents clap and cheer. Also a lot of creepily dressed up women, as is normal in catholic countries.

Every single trombone player in Spain was pelting it until 5am last night. It currently sounds like Lord of the Rings final battle is occurring a couple of blocks away.

niko_cee
18-03-2023, 06:39 PM
Do they police tape all off-licences and the like over the Easter weekend over there or is that more of a central american/third world catholic thing?

Depending on your outlook, I suppose it could be worse, don' they hold the tomato festival down that way?

Shindig
18-03-2023, 06:40 PM
This is the only mental image of Jimmy I can muster.
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.b5b3661c105eb3cf3cd538623dfb56d1?rik=OzvM9HMyfkN a5Q&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Spikey M
18-03-2023, 07:03 PM
Do they police tape all off-licences and the like over the Easter weekend over there or is that more of a central american/third world catholic thing?

Depending on your outlook, I suppose it could be worse, don' they hold the tomato festival down that way?

It happened in Ireland when I was there. Only service allowed was in hotels which consequently meant ours was rammed.

Giggles
18-03-2023, 07:10 PM
That’s only on Good Friday. Or actually, was only on Good Friday - the law was removed in 2018.
Christmas Day is the only day the pubs are closed here.

Raoul Duke
18-03-2023, 11:25 PM
I'm in Valencia this weekend for the Fallas festival. Stupidest decision of my life. Entire city ground to a standstill so that some massive effigies can be set on fire and 10 year old children launch Catherine wheels down busy streets as their parents clap and cheer. Also a lot of creepily dressed up women, as is normal in catholic countries.

Every single trombone player in Spain was pelting it until 5am last night. It currently sounds like Lord of the Rings final battle is occurring a couple of blocks away.

I've been to that before. Got caught there for an Arsenal game I tagged along to with some mates. It's proper mental how is is essentially 24/7 fireworks/explosions. Can barely have a conversation at midday with someone 2ft from you :cab:

Jimmy Floyd
18-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Yeah, it's absolutely insane in a way that is quite hard to describe. Random people just setting off massive firecrackers in every street, all day, for the sake of it. The absolute pride and joy of the city (no one seems to have gone to work for at least a week) and completely batshit mental with very little rhyme or reason to what is going on. Would get banned in about 8 seconds in the UK.

Clunge
19-03-2023, 04:24 PM
Just leaving Marrakesh after a few days in the medina. It’s good fun.

Shindig
25-03-2023, 09:24 PM
Well, getting over to Chicago was a piece of piss. Above ground it's mostly nice with plenty of old stuff to gawk at.

Underground you get the customary mentalists riding the rails. Moreso than NYC, if I'm honest.

Don
31-03-2023, 02:38 PM
John, your football post have reminded me, I'm flying into Uncle Ho's backgarden at end of April and returning from Hanoi on mid-may. I've got chatgpt working on it but please do offer any words of wisdom on the trip. Hoping to do a week at a beach location but otherwise, yet to decide on anything.

Shindig
31-03-2023, 06:04 PM
Stuck on the L train to the airport because of a silly bugger on the tracks. Thankfully the flight to Dublin was late in.

John Arne
13-04-2023, 11:52 AM
John, your football post have reminded me, I'm flying into Uncle Ho's backgarden at end of April and returning from Hanoi on mid-may. I've got chatgpt working on it but please do offer any words of wisdom on the trip. Hoping to do a week at a beach location but otherwise, yet to decide on anything.

Spend as little time as possible in both Hanoi and HCMC. If you have a free 3-4 days, get to Ha Giang (8hr bus north from Hanoi) and drive "the loop".

Best beaches are Qui Nhon, Mui Ne or the island of Phu Quoc.

Danang is a decent smaller city, Hoi An is full of tourists but has a nice beach and old town, Hue is shit. Dalat is a nice few days in the mountains, but a bit of an arse to get to/from. Sapa has nice but full of tourists and scammers.

Nha Trang is Blackpool.

Waffdon
14-04-2023, 11:10 AM
Ajaccio is a great place. Naples and Palermo are both absolute shitholes. Palamós has a lovely beach and is a nice wee town.

Tempted by Croatia for a 2 week summer holiday - prices seem a bit mental though.

Ben
14-04-2023, 11:20 AM
I'm going to Croatia in a few weeks. They've just (officially) changed to the Euro so I reckon that's contributing to the prices.

Waffdon
14-04-2023, 11:29 AM
I’m still getting used to Summer holiday prices when the schools are off so it’s probably mostly normal. I still can’t believe I spent £2800 for 10 days in Tenerife last year during the school holidays. Can get to Cancun for 14 days for that.

John Arne
14-04-2023, 12:24 PM
I just booked my flight back to the UK this summer. $2800. Business one-way, otherwise it was >$4k

Robbing bastards.

Sir Andy Mahowry
14-04-2023, 01:46 PM
I'm in Poland right and have been this week. Will be flying back on Wednesday probably.

Lewis
14-04-2023, 02:58 PM
:thbup:

Spikey M
14-04-2023, 03:05 PM

Look at Nan keeping her Facebook updated.

Sir Andy Mahowry
14-04-2023, 03:13 PM
:)

It's a wonderful app.

Sir Andy Mahowry
14-04-2023, 03:32 PM
To move it from Nan to creepy Uncle, I will say that there are a crazy amount of hot Polish and Ukrainian women around. Shame they won't look at me.

Raoul Duke
14-04-2023, 04:07 PM
Eye contact costs more, iirc

Kikó
14-04-2023, 08:38 PM
Sevilla on Thursday. 💪

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-04-2023, 06:56 PM
https://elektrowniapowisle.com/

Currently here in the food hall. It's an old powerplant that has been converted into a shopping mall and flats. It's pretty cool and the Vietnamese food I had wasn't bad.

#NanLife.

Don
17-04-2023, 02:09 PM
Spend as little time as possible in both Hanoi and HCMC. If you have a free 3-4 days, get to Ha Giang (8hr bus north from Hanoi) and drive "the loop".

Best beaches are Qui Nhon, Mui Ne or the island of Phu Quoc.

Danang is a decent smaller city, Hoi An is full of tourists but has a nice beach and old town, Hue is shit. Dalat is a nice few days in the mountains, but a bit of an arse to get to/from. Sapa has nice but full of tourists and scammers.

Nha Trang is Blackpool.

This has thrown an uneccessary spanner into the planning ffs, you've gone against a lot of what I'd read on my intensive 10 minute research.

Your lack of enthusiasm towards Hue and Hoi An has me now at this:

3 days/2 nights in HCMC - District 1 hotel, will have a spa day (any recommendation?) and a Mekong Delta cruise booked.

6 days/5 nights in a resort in Blackpool :moop:

4 days/3 nights in Danang - Day trip to Son Doong Caves

8 days/8 nights in North - Maybe 3 days in Sapa trekking and whatnot and the rest just mincing about Hanoi. Maybe Halong Bay and Ba Be Lake too.

Talk to me. Yet to arrange travel after Blackpool but would have liked to experience a night train. Are they decent or to be avoided?

John Arne
17-04-2023, 03:51 PM
Trains are great, just make sure to get a VVIP/VIP ticket (flat bed) and take your own shit paper.

Danang and the caves will be great (are you going with Oxalis?), as will the Mekong. Sapa is nice, but if I were you (and you can drive a bike), I'd head to Ha Giang instead - but lounging around Sapa will also be decent, but quite busy with tourists. Couple of days in Ha Long will be fine.

Blackpool will be ok if you get a decent hotel near the beach - it's a weird city - and not a lot to do - perhaps shorten it a few days, and add more time out on the road in the north, or head to Qui Nhon - it's the next place that will become popular - great beaches, if not a little underdeveloped tourist-wise or Mui Ne which is a ready-made beach town with lots of restaurants and stuff.

Don
17-04-2023, 04:10 PM
Haven't booked yet but Oxalis do a 1 day-er that looks good. Yeah, I'm going to stay off the bikes as with the missus and she's not to be trusted on them (nor am I tbf). She's also pushing for a long stay at a single resort so I'm happy to bend over on that and give the bitch her Blackpool. I just need my Vietnamese food to be happy.

Cheers for those posts, think we're there now.

Baz
17-04-2023, 05:03 PM
take your own shit paper.

:henn0rz:

Lewis
17-04-2023, 06:54 PM
I'm sure he's got it in hand.

Vanishing Wanderer
19-04-2023, 04:12 AM
https://www.pornpics.com/galleries/milf-with-a-big-booty-kendra-lust-rides-a-hard-cock-after-getting-cunnilingus-61510528/

niko_cee
19-04-2023, 06:50 AM
Interesting image description.

John Arne
19-04-2023, 07:26 AM
Interesting image description.

I did the same thing before quickly exiting. :D

Shindig
19-04-2023, 05:12 PM
I told you something as up. :D

Boydy
19-04-2023, 05:55 PM
Let's hear him out.

Don
19-04-2023, 06:45 PM
Boydy knows. Newbie award in the bag :drool:

Lewis
19-04-2023, 09:59 PM
I've booked Malta next week to use some leave up (everywhere good in Rome was booked up, as was Southern Spain). I'm pretty sorted for all the history stuff and a decent mooch, but does anyone have any specific recommendations?

Raoul Duke
20-04-2023, 07:22 AM
I've booked Malta next week to use some leave up (everywhere good in Rome was booked up, as was Southern Spain). I'm pretty sorted for all the history stuff and a decent mooch, but does anyone have any specific recommendations?

Mdina was nice when I visited it ages ago. St Julians is where all the main bars/restaurants are

Giggles
20-04-2023, 08:38 AM
Do the trips to the other 2 islands.

Pepe
20-04-2023, 01:01 PM
randomlegend recommend this poor man some nice eatery.

Lewis
20-04-2023, 01:44 PM
I'll be living off pizza and chips like you should on a holiday.

Giggles
21-04-2023, 06:57 AM
The rabbit is nice.

Baz
21-04-2023, 07:06 AM
Malteasers.

Lewis
25-04-2023, 08:00 PM
Initial impressions of Malta are positive. It's like a dago Brighton, with terrible drivers and pizza instead of piss and weed smell.

I thought I had mugged the War on Terror off packing the very dregs of a 125ml toothpaste, but they still took it off me because 'How do we know it's less than a hundred mill?' Your eyes love I don't know.

Shindig
25-04-2023, 08:30 PM
The yanks are ditching those limits next year. :drool:

Ben
25-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Teesside Airport already has.

Sir Andy Mahowry
25-04-2023, 08:58 PM
All UK airports will be fucking it off by next year too.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-04-2023, 07:48 AM
Saw Jacek Gmoch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacek_Gmoch) yesterday in a hotel whilst eating breakfast.

He was talking to some people on a nearby table, largely about Mbappe and Lewandowski.

Lewis
28-04-2023, 07:42 PM
I liked Malta. Wednesday my plan was to get a bus up to the Riviera Beach, walk down as far as I could, and then bus the rest to the Blue Grotto. The first leg I gave myself about ninety minutes for, but it turned out to be more of a climb than a walk, and over three hours later I was dead on my arse in some nearby shitty village, where everything was closed except the shop and a heaving cafe full of ninety year olds eating rabbit and shouting at each other. I was sat drinking a Coke on the path when some geezer driving past slammed his breaks on, reversed, and asked me if I was going to Rabat. Yeah go on then Pedro. Rabat was nice, with the old church and the old fortress, so that worked out. I went to Valetta yesterday which was very interesting. The war museum - they are equally proud of their their Muslim killing as their Second World War service - is right up there, the cathedral is good, but the war bunker is crap - although I might have just seen too many war bunkers, which are ultimately all the same.

I noticed the other day that Maltese men are all either manlets or super fat, and it turns out that they are in fact the fattest, and, by some measures, shortest people in Europe lol (hence not being worried about the hitchhike). Equally, lots of good looking short women, presumably all seething about the state of the men.

niko_cee
28-04-2023, 08:28 PM
I'm over on your island for the coronation/liberation weekend @offy [how do you do mentions?], any recommendations for decent places to eat? Kids are going to be in attendance. Quite like that Tico place, so that's an option. Also saw somewhere called Tipsy or something which looked alright out that way. Or some kind of Italian [or whatever really] in St Helier. Staying out of pizza express is the main aim.

Baz
28-04-2023, 09:46 PM
Offshore Toon

Manc
30-04-2023, 05:39 PM
Mexico booked for the 17th. :drool:

Offshore Toon
01-05-2023, 05:56 PM
I'm over on your island for the coronation/liberation weekend @offy [how do you do mentions?], any recommendations for decent places to eat? Kids are going to be in attendance. Quite like that Tico place, so that's an option. Also saw somewhere called Tipsy or something which looked alright out that way. Or some kind of Italian [or whatever really] in St Helier. Staying out of pizza express is the main aim.
For pizza in town definitely head to Pizzeria Famosa. It's probably the only place over here that serves anything resembling proper Italian pizza. Staks (best burger on the island) might be a good option with the kids too and is out of town (bottom of the Five Mile Road).

El Tico is always a solid choice, I think Tipsy is just the Tipsy Toad trying to go upmarket. I can't vouch for how it is, but generally speaking most places are pretty good here. I'm assuming the kids are pretty young, so places like Portelet, The Royal and (I think) Devil's Hole all have play areas to keep them busy when you need a break.

For purely food-based recommendations, I'm obsessed with Casa Paco at the moment. They have a cafe in the market and a van at the harbour just down from where the explosion was. They're only open until 5 in the market and 2:30 down the harbour, but works for breakfast/lunch. Running with out-of-town options, you've got Moorings in Gorey, Cheffins at Beaumont, Roseville Bistro at Havre de Pas, Aha at Howard Davis Park would be good for the kids to piss about in the park and has great food too.

If you know you're gonna be in any particular areas at any point let me know, but that's just off the top of my head.

niko_cee
02-05-2023, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, think we'll give Staks a go at some point.

Staying in the premier inn but have car and will be doing standard kid stuff [amazin' maze, zoo etc].

Offshore Toon
05-05-2023, 08:36 PM
If you fancy spending shitloads, they'll probably love Jump Jersey. Definitely one for if the weather turns sour.

niko_cee
05-05-2023, 08:59 PM
Is that at Les Ormes? Think that's on the to do list.

Stayed there pre-covid but they hadn't really built much of it.

Offshore Toon
06-05-2023, 10:47 PM
Aye, that's the one.

The roads were ridiculously quiet today so you lucked out a bit as Saturday's can be a nightmare. There's also an embarrassing amount of pixelated Charles flags. I have no idea why they all have the same terrible picture of him. :D

niko_cee
07-05-2023, 03:33 PM
What's the deal with parking in St Helier? Do you have traffic wardens who work on Sundays and bank holidays or is it open season on the paycard/resident areas for the next few days? There's street parking near where we're staying but suggests you need to pay 7 days a week.

Offshore Toon
07-05-2023, 04:15 PM
Resident parking zones on Sundays are a nightmare as everywhere else is free so traffic wardens are heavy on them. Most places will be free on Sundays and bank holidays, but there should be a sign on each street to say.

Parking is pretty shit everywhere in town but if you give me a rough location I can try and point you to the best places.

niko_cee
07-05-2023, 04:17 PM
I'm at the Premier Inn on bath street, mostly been leaving it in the jardin de mer car park thing and walking, although it took me about half an hour of doing laps to realise the Esplanade car park doesn't exist.

Offshore Toon
07-05-2023, 04:22 PM

That side of town is rough for parking but you should be able to get in Minden Place car park, no?

niko_cee
07-05-2023, 04:27 PM
Nah, got a roof box. Open air car parks only.

Offshore Toon
07-05-2023, 05:03 PM
Ah, in that case I'd probably just keep parking at Jardin and embracing the steps instead of wasting time driving around.

There's a small car park at the bottom of Midvale Road, but that's probably packed most of the time, and also Snow Hill which should be fine in the evenings actually.

Waffdon
15-05-2023, 08:47 AM
I’m thinking Costa Del Sol for the summer holiday this year. Fuengirola (Los Boliches) area seems to be the best bet but that whole area seems close enough to each other in general. Looked at Marbella but £3000+pp for 14 days can suck my bum. As can Ryanair charging £56 pp each way for adding luggage on. At that point it’s better off just booking everything through Jet2 or Tui and avoid the hassle of dealing with Ryanair.

Jimmy Floyd
15-05-2023, 08:54 AM
One of my great achievements in life is never having flown on Ryanair. Must have done about 50+ flights in and around Europe and never used them. Long may it continue.

Waffdon
15-05-2023, 09:00 AM
I don’t think I’ve used them either. Mostly always EasyJet if I’m not needing to check in proper luggage. I was browsing OnTheBeach and they just always suggest RyanAir and then I noticed the catch as to why they’re so cheap. I’d probably use them if I was going away for a few days (it’s only a flight init) but no danger going on holiday for 14 days with a female and not needing 20kg+ suitcases for the duration.

Clunge
15-05-2023, 09:15 AM
Gotta be so careful these days. If you're absolutely set on hand luggage only (i.e. just a small rucksack), you can't really go wrong with any of the LCCs. As soon as baggage (even cabin baggage) comes in, I'm often tempted to pay the premium.

Ben
15-05-2023, 09:42 AM
Dubrovnik was brilliant, and it seems like we managed to get their four dry days of the month. Torrential rain on the way to the airport coming home, poor folk flying in would have been better off staying at Leeds.

Very expensive though, more so than I expected. Fucking Americans.

John Arne
15-05-2023, 09:54 AM
I'm heading to the UK in July, but would like to pop over to Italy for a week or so.

Any recommend any quiet towns/villages that are just kinda idyllic Italy good coffee, great food and nice and peaceful? Bonus points if they are 1hr drive/train from a decent sized city, such as Rome.

niko_cee
15-05-2023, 10:27 AM
I went to a wedding in Cortona once and it seemed pretty picture postcard idyllic. Not that far to drive from Rome, close to Florence and Siena/Pisa/Lucca all nearby-ish as well.

Kikó
15-05-2023, 12:57 PM
I'm heading to the UK in July, but would like to pop over to Italy for a week or so.

Any recommend any quiet towns/villages that are just kinda idyllic Italy good coffee, great food and nice and peaceful? Bonus points if they are 1hr drive/train from a decent sized city, such as Rome.

Go and visit my family in Isola del Liri. We even have a waterfall.

Spikey M
15-05-2023, 01:19 PM
Anyone been to Egypt recently? Is it still a land of grabby fuckers that won't leave you alone? Thinking of going in October, but it was insufferable when I went in my teens.

Raoul Duke
15-05-2023, 05:40 PM

Florence as a base then Bologna, Pisa, Siena and whatever else little towns you fancy around there. I went there a few years ago and it was an immense holiday.

Lewis
15-05-2023, 10:10 PM
Anyone been to Egypt recently? Is it still a land of grabby fuckers that won't leave you alone? Thinking of going in October, but it was insufferable when I went in my teens.

The population of Egypt has grown by about a third since you were in your teens, so assume it's about a third grabbier.

randomlegend
15-05-2023, 10:21 PM

It has been the top answer in every single "What is the worst place you've been on holiday?" thread I've ever seen, although most of the bad experiences people describe seem focused on the pyramids.

https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comments/xi4qz9/do_not_ever_visit_egypt/

Recent thread about visiting Egypt.

Even this more positive account is pretty rough:

https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comments/ui9ntb/just_got_back_from_25_weeks_in_egypt_it_wasnt_as/

Don
16-05-2023, 12:16 AM
It's no place for big soft whities.

Luca
16-05-2023, 05:38 AM
Go and visit my family in Isola del Liri. We even have a waterfall.

:cool:

For all heeding this advice, the Thursday market in neighbouring Sora (where my family is from) is banging.

Yes, there is about a 10% chance that Kiko and I are distantly related.

Ben
16-05-2023, 06:27 AM
I didn't have any issues in Cairo. Sure, the sheer amount of people absolutely everywhere was an eye opener at first but I wasn't overly hassled, including at the Pyramids. I had worse aggro in Rome.

Yevrah
16-05-2023, 07:48 AM
I’ve never been to Egypt and while some of those experiences do sound annoying, giving your phone to some dodgy fuck to take a picture is proper rookie territory.

Ben
16-05-2023, 08:14 AM
Clowns do it all the time down near the Trevi Fountain. If you're stupid enough, then you deserve all you get.

Yevrah
16-05-2023, 08:42 AM
Indeed. I was there with the broom in 2008 and had to almost shout at her to get her to stop taking the flowers from the gypsies.

Jimmy Floyd
16-05-2023, 10:21 AM
The Arab always talks about Egyptians as we stereotypically talk about the Irish, i.e. they are all thick and talk funny.

John Arne
16-05-2023, 10:44 AM
Florence as a base then Bologna, Pisa, Siena and whatever else little towns you fancy around there. I went there a few years ago and it was an immense holiday.

Cheers Raoul Duke and Kikó, will look into your suggestions.

Waffdon
25-05-2023, 01:58 PM
Tempted by the below in Malta. Seems a bit cheap, says it’s went under €40m renovations and opening up again on the 1st June. Idk if that’s why it’s cheap since it’s been closed for a while. Qawra doesn’t seem too downbeat of a place either so should be lively enough.

https://www.jet2holidays.com/beach/malta/malta-and-gozo/qawra/qawra-palace-resort-and-spa?ds_rl=1296397&ds_rl=1206481&gbraid=0AAAAADmgmx_FEAWeXhvqidxOzB9OuL6R9&ds_rl=1296397&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjryjBhD0ARIsAMLvnF9KKNvKAe5cNBtlKpca phjzEHzwsjnTlaH6GQJbiO4iu5mPj-gxa3EaAvqvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

£2850 on lastminute.com for 2 weeks all inclusive including the ludicrous Ryanair baggage charges. Or £3250 with jet2 but from Glasgow which is a ballache compared to Edinburgh airport but at least it’s not Ryanair lol

-james-
25-05-2023, 03:09 PM
48 hours in Stockholm. What's good?

Bam
25-05-2023, 03:10 PM
Tempted by the below in Malta. Seems a bit cheap, says it’s went under €40m renovations and opening up again on the 1st June. Idk if that’s why it’s cheap since it’s been closed for a while. Qawra doesn’t seem too downbeat of a place either so should be lively enough.

https://www.jet2holidays.com/beach/malta/malta-and-gozo/qawra/qawra-palace-resort-and-spa?ds_rl=1296397&ds_rl=1206481&gbraid=0AAAAADmgmx_FEAWeXhvqidxOzB9OuL6R9&ds_rl=1296397&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjryjBhD0ARIsAMLvnF9KKNvKAe5cNBtlKpca phjzEHzwsjnTlaH6GQJbiO4iu5mPj-gxa3EaAvqvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

£2850 on lastminute.com for 2 weeks all inclusive including the ludicrous Ryanair baggage charges. Or £3250 with jet2 but from Glasgow which is a ballache compared to Edinburgh airport but at least it’s not Ryanair lol

Your going to pay that sort of money for that dump, crazy.

Waffdon
25-05-2023, 03:26 PM
Your going to pay that sort of money for that dump, crazy.

Good luck finding anywhere remotely decent for under £3500 for a fortnight when the kids are off on holiday. Prices are definitely more this year as well as the hotel I stayed in last year in Tenerife cost £2800 all in and now for the same dates is £4500.

Edit: that is AI of course. I'd rather just go Half Board at most but woman get what woman want.

Bam
25-05-2023, 03:29 PM
Give her a slap. Get a pukka villa instead.

Waffdon
25-05-2023, 03:33 PM
https://www.jet2holidays.com/beach/malta/malta-and-gozo/st-pauls-bay/db-san-antonio-hotel-and-spa?ds_rl=1296397&ds_rl=1206481&ds_rl=1296397&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjryjBhD0ARIsAMLvnF_QV-hQivLI5EwZGYz22d0XgFeP8lSYOuyPfMZz7jVssrrm3iioHDoa Ar1VEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This place looks alright too, but about £500 more. Will end up going on another cruise at this rate. Aegean Sea one's do look class in Summer tbf

Spikey M
25-05-2023, 03:34 PM
We've just paid £2300 for a 4* in Gran Canaria (All Inc and free entry to the local waterpark all week). After seeing the price I was pretty ready to

Give her a slap. Get a pukka villa instead.

But

woman get what woman want.

randomlegend
25-05-2023, 03:35 PM
Booked a few nights in Seville at the end of July on a whim.

Anyone been?

Bernanke
25-05-2023, 03:44 PM
48 hours in Stockholm. What's good?

Vasa Museum is actually pretty incredible. Are you solo or not?

Bam
25-05-2023, 03:48 PM

Anyone been?

Yes. Booked it on a whim also, cos I'm fly like that. :cool:

randomlegend
25-05-2023, 03:49 PM
:cool:

Ben
25-05-2023, 03:51 PM
You will melt son.

Waffdon
25-05-2023, 03:54 PM
we've just paid £2300 for a 4* in gran canaria (all inc and free entry to the local waterpark all week). After seeing the price i was pretty ready to

but

yktv

Jimmy Floyd
25-05-2023, 04:04 PM
Seville is probably my favourite city in Europe (don't let that put you off). Just eat all the tapas and do whatever else you want.

-james-
25-05-2023, 04:31 PM
Vasa Museum is actually pretty incredible. Are you solo or not?

I am solo. Staying in Sodermalm I think.

randomlegend
25-05-2023, 04:42 PM
You will melt son.

I don't mind hot places provided the room has aircon, which it does.

randomlegend
25-05-2023, 04:43 PM
Seville is probably my favourite city in Europe (don't let that put you off). Just eat all the tapas and do whatever else you want.

Raoul Duke
25-05-2023, 05:16 PM

Anyone been?

It's immense. Just mooching about eating/drinking is the order of business, but don't miss:

- Cathedral tour is pretty cool (you can go up all into the rooftops and balconies)
- Alcazar is great as well
- Also, the Flamenco museum was enjoyable

Bernanke
25-05-2023, 05:21 PM

I am solo. Staying in Sodermalm I think.

Götgatan will be your main Södermalm shopping street but most shopping is around Sergels Torg. The old town (Gamla Stan) + the royal castle is well worth exploring, although the main pedestrian street is pretty touristy.

Best view is from Skinnarviksberget, you get to it from the Hornsgatan direction, will be quite popular during summer sunsets.

Food recs solo is tricky, but I love the guys that run Racamaca, they have expanded in recent years but still have solid quality and not full on "sit at a restaurant by myself" vibes.

Kikó
25-05-2023, 06:06 PM
I went to Seville for United and can recommend the McDonald's.

Lewis
25-05-2023, 06:13 PM

No idea what that town is like, but it's about an hours bus/forty euro taxi from anywhere else worth seeing, so bear that in mind.

Waffdon
25-05-2023, 06:35 PM
Aye. Is it lively enough or is that more towards Valletta? Someone I know told me to go to Bugibba if I go and that’s about 15 mins walk away or something.

I’ll go to Gozo one day and maybe the water park if it is any good but honestly haven’t looked at anything else beyond that. As long as there is sun, beers and food I’ll be happy.

Bam
26-05-2023, 04:07 AM
Aye. Is it lively enough or is that more towards Valletta? Someone I know told me to go to Bugibba if I go and that’s about 15 mins walk away or something.

I’ll go to Gozo one day and maybe the water park if it is any good but honestly haven’t looked at anything else beyond that. As long as there is sun, beers and food I’ll be happy.

You do know Malta is full of 80 year olds, right? No where will be 'lively'. :D

Offshore Toon
26-05-2023, 09:01 AM
Did you not know that, Waff? :D

Waffdon
26-05-2023, 09:04 AM
I thought it was full of twitch streamers and gamblers lol

Offshore Toon
26-05-2023, 09:21 AM
My mate went there and had a great time. Bam's just a spastic.

Waffdon
27-05-2023, 12:53 PM
Booked the 2nd hotel I linked after Bam’s wise words.

5th holiday since April last year. Would have had a house by now if I didn’t bother but what’s the point in life without holidays

John Arne
09-07-2023, 04:57 PM
Naples is an amazing place. Great food, great architecture and just a fantastic vibe. Stadio Diego Armando Maradona is a shithole.

On to Rome....

randomlegend
09-07-2023, 05:25 PM
I thought Naples was a shit hole? I've never been, just thought that's what everyone says. Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else.

Loved Rome.

Spikey M
09-07-2023, 05:27 PM
I've only ever heard that Naples is indeed a massive shithole. I've heard the same of Rome, mind.

phonics
09-07-2023, 05:29 PM
Naples is fantastic and it being a bit of a shithole is an endearing part of that.

Shindig
09-07-2023, 05:30 PM
I thought Yev went there at one point and said it was good.

John Arne
09-07-2023, 07:20 PM
It kinda is a shithole, but in a very endearing way.

wullie
09-07-2023, 07:33 PM
The only part of Rome I didn't like was right around the train station, but then areas around stations tend to be sketchy at best everywhere you go. Gare du Nord in Paris is one of the worst I've seen, proper air of menace to it.

John Arne
09-07-2023, 07:47 PM
The only part of Rome I didn't like was right around the train station, but then areas around stations tend to be sketchy at best everywhere you go. Gare du Nord in Paris is one of the worst I've seen, proper air of menace to it.

Ditto for the station at Naples. Proper dodgy, including one guy walking around shouting "terrorist motherfuckers, die".
Avoided him.

Shindig
09-07-2023, 08:14 PM
Encourage him for his excellent English.

Kikó
09-07-2023, 08:51 PM

Frankfurt and Düsseldorf are fantastic horror shows. Both with a great assortment of heroin

hfswjyr
10-07-2023, 05:26 AM
My fondest memories while walking around Naples are of stepping onto the road to get around the massive piles of rubbish in the middle of the footpath.

Once you get out to Positano and the Amalfi Coast though. Stunning.

Offshore Toon
04-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Any company (and any other) recommendations for renting a car in Europe? Spain's public transport seems terrible so hiring a car makes sense.

Jimmy Floyd
04-08-2023, 10:06 AM
Depends on your budget and where exactly you're going, but I wouldn't get anything too enormous as it makes underground parking rather stressful. I've driven a DS3 (massive), Captur (medium sized) and a Peugeot 2008 (large) over there and I definitely preferred the Captur of the three. Diesel if you're going long distances, petrol better if you're staying in the same area.

Hire companies are much of a muchness I think, you get good and bad experiences with all of them.

Offshore Toon
04-08-2023, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I'm just a bit cautious of the cheaper options (like Goldcar) which seem a bit too good to be true.

Jimmy Floyd
04-08-2023, 11:01 AM
Never used such people but I would assume that they'll ping you aggressively for extras / 'scratches' to make their money. I'm a peace of mind guy so would go with an established name. Used Avis, Hertz and Sixt, all fine.

Giggles
04-08-2023, 11:13 AM
I've settled on Sixt the last few times and have never had a bother.

Offshore Toon
04-08-2023, 12:45 PM
Sound, I'll probably go with Sixt then. Cheers boys.

Offshore Toon
16-08-2023, 02:15 PM
I'm in Kenmare at the moment and fully loving Ireland. Everywhere you go there's somebody playing the fiddle, Guinness is elite and everybody is friendly af. I dunno how we ended up with Giggles.

randomlegend
16-08-2023, 02:51 PM
Seville is absolutely beautiful.

We got lucky with the weather as it was "only" 32-35ish whilst we were there, but was hitting 39-41 in the days either side.

wullie
16-08-2023, 02:57 PM
We were in lake Garda last week, weather report before we went said the first half of the week would be thunderstorms and it might clear up for the last few days but in the end we didn't see a single drop of rain. MSM at it again

Baz
16-08-2023, 02:59 PM
Men who have sex with men?

Shindig
16-08-2023, 05:04 PM
Multiple Sclerosis Mafia.

-james-
16-08-2023, 05:34 PM
Off to Kalymnos for six weeks of rock climbing and beer drinking (and attempting to work remotely) next Tuesday.

Boydy
16-08-2023, 05:47 PM
Are you not living off gambling any more?

Jimmy Floyd
16-08-2023, 05:54 PM
Surely his post answers that question.

-james-
16-08-2023, 06:02 PM
Are you not living off gambling any more?

I am. I suppose it's always been "working remotely" but I've never got on with laptops and never not done it from the spare room.

Offshore Toon
16-08-2023, 10:52 PM
Men who survive off match-fixing.

Shindig
17-08-2023, 05:55 AM
"It's not a problem, it's a business."

Spikey M
17-08-2023, 07:36 AM
If he's doing well enough to go on 6 week holidays then good luck to him.

Yevrah
17-08-2023, 07:51 AM
Indeed. Would we prefer he was in a job he hated being exploited by capitalism? Sack the 6 week holidays at a time (or in total for that matter) off and try it James. It's great.

-james-
17-08-2023, 08:29 AM
My time will come, don't you lot worry.

I am actively planning an escape route but I usually retreat back into my hole after browsing the jobs thread for five minutes.

Spikey M
17-08-2023, 09:09 AM
Later today I'm visiting a lady in receipt of palliative care to discuss whether she'd like to die at home alone, or in a care home, less-alone, but also somehow less cared for.

You can tag along if you like. That should see you through atleast a decade.

Shindig
17-08-2023, 05:16 PM
If that doesn't suit you, I get the horror stories without leaving the office.

randomlegend
17-08-2023, 05:37 PM
Later today I'm visiting a lady in receipt of palliative care to discuss whether she'd like to die at home alone, or in a care home, less-alone, but also somehow less cared for.

I'm somewhat making assumptions about what your job is I appreciate, but that really doesn't sound like something which you should be being asked to do?

Offshore Toon
17-08-2023, 05:38 PM
The main bar/club here has milk on the drinks menu.

Spikey M
17-08-2023, 05:48 PM
I'm somewhat making assumptions about what your job is I appreciate, but that really doesn't sound like something which you should be being asked to do?

I'm obviously not making any medical or care decisions, just talking to her about her decision and seeing what - if any - support we can offer. Storage of her stuff, help moving it to her next of kin, if any of her children want succession etc. Cheery stuff.

Serj
21-08-2023, 01:32 PM
Just came back yesterday from a road trip through Czechia/Poland (mostly getting there and back) and the Baltic countries (main event), which was fantastic. Of the main cities, every one seemed to have a different personality, Vilnius being a personal favorite. We tried to balance the city trips with forays into national parks/beach days and, even though we spent a lot of time driving, it worked out quite nicely.

Cold beetroot soup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht#Cold_borscht) is godly.

Latvian gravel roads can fuck off though. I'm surprised the car came out of it with just a small crack on the windshield.

Bernanke
21-08-2023, 03:05 PM
Borscht. :cool:

Spikey M
21-08-2023, 03:06 PM
Cold soup is indeed a load of borscht.

Serj
21-08-2023, 04:26 PM
Couldn't really see the appeal of it either, but am now fully converted and will try to replicate it at home. It's great for hot weather, and since Viennese summers are now basically hell on earth, it'll do nicely.

Also, those curd cheese bars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curd_snack) they have up there are great.

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-08-2023, 04:27 PM
They look and sound fucking rank.

Spikey M
21-08-2023, 04:29 PM
As if real choc-ice's weren't disappointing enough.

Don
21-08-2023, 05:08 PM
Lidl's Eastern European range do them in case any of you fancy trying them. Fairly inoffensive stuff. Unlike the Salo (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food)) which was dynamite but which I only ever saw once. Health and safety probably prevents it in this country, us paying the price for Mahow's sins :nono:

wullie
22-08-2023, 07:35 AM
Curd cheese and chocolate together sounds awful at first, but the more I see it the more I'd give it a go. Who among us doesn't butter their Weetabix after all?

Spikey M
13-09-2023, 03:27 PM
Anyone been to Montenegro? Recommendations?

phonics
13-09-2023, 03:28 PM
My friend went, said it was lovely but most of the beaches were owned by Russians so you had to move every 30 minutes or get gunned down by some bloke in a suit called Ivan.

Spikey M
13-09-2023, 03:32 PM
Turkey it is. Cheers.

Bam
13-09-2023, 04:29 PM
My friend went, said it was lovely but most of the beaches were owned by Kurds so you had to move every 30 minutes or get gunned down by some bloke wearing a Keffiyeh called Alaz.

Spikey M
13-09-2023, 04:30 PM

Pen
14-09-2023, 06:00 AM
Anyone been to Montenegro? Recommendations?

I went a few years back I liked it even if Bosnia and Croatia were better imo. You have small kids don't you? Not sure if it's the best family holiday destination, but for adults there are interesting things to see and do, especially if were talking about a short trip.

-james-
13-10-2023, 08:17 AM
Boarded on time at Gatwick, only to be quickly told of a delay of "at least an hour", looks like everything leaving this morning is similar but nothing at all on the boards or tracking websites indicating delays. Is this some ploy they use to fudge their stats?

Shindig
13-10-2023, 08:21 AM
Flights are getting diverted from Luton to there whilst they sort the car park out.

niko_cee
13-10-2023, 09:18 AM
Gatwick has had atc problems for a while now, but yeah, it's probably some sort of stat fudging, like when airlines schedule the flight to take much longer than it really will. You boarded on time and arrived 30 mins late, when you've actually been sat on the runway for 90 minutes.

Giggles
13-10-2023, 06:41 PM
Germany tomorrow :boydy:

Kikó
13-10-2023, 08:22 PM
Are you visiting Frankfurt this time?

Giggles
13-10-2023, 08:55 PM
I'm visiting Germany which means I have to use an airport. And even worse, it means I have to use a German airport in a week.

Jimmy Floyd
13-10-2023, 08:59 PM
I've been to a lot of airports now and the German border guards are definitely the most keen to feel your dick through your trousers. The worst.

Bolivians were the best. To leave Bolivia you have to pass about 4 layers of blokes barking orders in progressively more colourful uniforms. Loved it.

Shindig
13-10-2023, 09:00 PM
I don't want to use the one with the vomitkurve or whatever those NIMBY's enforced.

Giggles
20-10-2023, 02:33 PM
If anyone ever needed proof that Germany is better than us all, I have never came across a jacks that has a stupid blower instead of hand paper in the place.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-10-2023, 03:00 PM
They also have automatic toilet seat cleaners in some service stations.

Blew my mind the first time I saw one.

randomlegend
20-10-2023, 03:33 PM
Currently at Ikos Dassia in Corfu with the wife and her family.

I was somewhat dragged along (family holidays are not something I would ever do out of choice), but fair play it's very nice.

Don
20-10-2023, 04:01 PM
They take you as a pool float? GAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHABAHAHABBABAHABHA. Ah shit man, I give myself lols.

Giggles
20-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Some man to sniff out a joke.

randomlegend
20-10-2023, 06:03 PM
It never fails to amuse me that he has a giant nose that doesn't work.

Bam
21-10-2023, 08:14 AM

I was somewhat dragged along (family holidays are not something I would ever do out of choice), but fair play it's very nice.

Cool, thx for the info.

Foe
28-10-2023, 08:08 PM
Went to Nashville last night and spend a bit of time today mooching about.

What a fantastic city.

Beautiful, plenty of really cool buildings, music culture and a very lively Main Street on broadway with live music everywhere. Was skeptical as to how good it would be, but it was absolutely class. Also was Halloween time so loads of birds out and about in their pants :cool:

Off to Tuscaloosa now. Expectations are lower.

Raoul Duke
28-10-2023, 08:14 PM
What's your itinerary Foe ? Sounds like a cool trip

I'm 100% going in for WC tickets in the US. Think it'd be a great one to visit.

Foe
28-10-2023, 08:21 PM
I’m doing my classic Houston arrival and disappear to the suburb of the woodlands.

My cousin now works at the university of Alabama in Tuscaloosa so we flew to Birmingham on Friday and then just drove 3 hours in a rental car to Nashville for the night and most of today. Driving down to Tuscaloosa today and then back to the woodlands. Doubt we will do much else travelling as we’ve done most of the nearby Texas Towns and cities (fredriksburg being my favourite).

My cousin was working Friday/sat in Tennessee on an away trip so we improvised ourselves.

If we were there longer we probably would’ve had a proper mooch about the country music hall of fame, sat in a load of bars and soaked up the music or tried to hit up the Johny cash museum.

As it is it was just a bit of a flying visit. Spent a lot of today trying to convince my uncle to buy a condo here though. :uhoh:

Foe
28-10-2023, 08:23 PM
If Nashville is on the World Cup stadium list it’s a no brainer. Would be phenomenal / carnage.

The titans nfl stadium is like a 15 min wander over the bridge from broadway. The city has absolutely loads packed into such a small space.

hfswjyr
29-10-2023, 02:08 AM
The Jack Daniels distillery is right outside of town also, in a place called Lynchburg. Go figure.
If you're still there, the NASA Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is class also.

Andy
29-10-2023, 06:10 AM

I have been to a few different Ikos hotels, amazing food and drink. Had Dassia planned for April but the other halt is pregnant again so will be giving it a miss till 2025.

Magic
30-10-2023, 08:06 PM
Berlin in January, yay or nay?