PDA

View Full Version : The Travel Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17

mugbull
25-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Finally gonna stop talking absolute shit about California?

Pepe
25-03-2019, 10:08 PM
When did I talk shit about California?

The weather is nice, similar to Mexico's. Did I say that it is a shit Mexico before? Because if I did, then I maintain it.

Pepe
25-03-2019, 10:11 PM
It probably is peak US though, even with the lol housing prices.

bruhnaldo
25-03-2019, 10:21 PM
Sigh.

Pepe
25-03-2019, 10:26 PM
What? The ridiculous humidity invalidates about half of the country, with the snow invalidating almost all of the reminder.

Pepe
25-03-2019, 10:26 PM
Or maybe the other way around. Either way.

mugbull
25-03-2019, 10:46 PM
You definitely lolled at me for saying it was the best part of the United States before

Pepe
25-03-2019, 11:44 PM
That doesn't sound like me. :rosebud:

7om
26-03-2019, 12:45 AM
That says more about you than the area, I've never felt unsafe in any part of New York or Brooklyn although I haven't done anything silly like venture out to East New York at night or anything.

What does it say about me?

7om
26-03-2019, 12:46 AM
Describing gentrified Brooklyn as sketchy is peak whiteness. It’s not the Bronx.

Thanks for letting me know.

Josh
26-03-2019, 02:29 AM
What does it say about me?

That the area has low crime but has a lot of black fellas and you thought it was sketchy. Phonics has it mainly covered.

phonics
26-03-2019, 02:35 AM
Phonics listened to The Best of Biggie last night so he'll be adding 'New York' to his list of things to be smug and patronising about now.

Good stuff.

It wasn’t scary to walk around at night when I was 17 more than a decade ago. Considering it’s now fashionable to live there for people who consider ‘podcaster’ as a job. I doubt it’s got much worse.

7om
26-03-2019, 03:51 AM
That the area has low crime but has a lot of black fellas and you thought it was sketchy. Phonics has it mainly covered.

Are you suggesting that I thought the area was rough because I saw more black people there? You have no idea what I was referring to or know anything about me and yet you accuse me of that? I think that says a lot about you too.

Queenslander
26-03-2019, 05:47 AM
Are you suggesting that I thought the area was rough because I saw more black people there? You have no idea what I was referring to or know anything about me and yet you accuse me of that? I think that says a lot about you too.

I knew it!

Spikey M
26-03-2019, 07:30 AM

It's obvious, you racist bastard. It's not as if there's a load of rappers bragging about criminal activities in 'Crooklyn' or anything.

phonics
26-03-2019, 09:34 AM
In about 1994 :cab:

Spikey M
26-03-2019, 09:50 AM
How often should we be updating our knowledge on the multiple boroughs of Cities we don't live in?

phonics
26-03-2019, 10:23 AM
How often should we be updating our knowledge on the multiple boroughs of Cities we don't live in?

Sometime in the 25 years the entire city went from being dangerous to mostly not. Times Square was full of prostitutes rather than a tourist spot back in the days you're referencing.

7om
26-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Make prostitution great again.

phonics
26-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Robert Kraft is giving it his best shot.

Spikey M
26-03-2019, 11:02 AM
Sometime in the 25 years the entire city went from being dangerous to mostly not. Times Square was full of prostitutes rather than a tourist spot back in the days you're referencing.

I'll get straight on it. I might see how the west side of Beirut and down town Perth are getting on as well. Got to stay on top of this shit.

7om
26-03-2019, 11:08 AM
I'll get straight on it. I might see how the west side of Beirut and down town Perth are getting on as well. Got to stay on top of this shit.

Why Beirut? What you got against Lebanon, you white bastard.

phonics
26-03-2019, 11:21 AM

I don't live in London but I don't think it's all cockneys eating jellied eels.

Spikey M
26-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Yes. That's the same as what's happened.

Shindig
26-03-2019, 01:39 PM
That says more about you than the area, I've never felt unsafe in any part of New York or Brooklyn although I haven't done anything silly like venture out to East New York at night or anything.

I felt comfy. This is in a week where a an old woman was booted around a subway train and a port authority bus got torched by a man wearing no pants. For reference, I landed into Brooklyn on Jay Street and wandered around Atlantic (or is it Pacific?) Avenue. Outside Jay St. was relatively black but there's a definite suburban neighbourhood feel to places around Henry Street, etc. Two white women (one young, one old) exchanged talks about their dogs. Not dawgs. Anyway, let's wrap this up.

I am awake. I checked out at 11am Monday. I arrived back in Newcastle at 8:45am this morning. The cabin crew would not stop feeding us, even after the Five Guys I'd dived into before heading for Penn Station. The six hour return flight was brisk. I didn't realise the winds or whatever that make the journey quicker give the plane an extra 100 mph. We landed maybe five minutes behind schedule and, being stuck with a window seat, I had to wait for almost everyone to get off. My connecting flight was already boarding. Security was quick in spite of the passport kiosks not recognising me without glasses at every turn. I finally now know the one thing I'll forget to take out of my pockets and get the gist of the airport flow. Check-in, Security, Gate. I no longer have the fear of showing myself up because there's always some other steampot behind you ready to kick off over how they've packed their liquids or whatever.

So, one more final step. Boarding. We get to the gate and see a National Express. Fuck, yes. Runway boarding like a statesman. Roll out the red carpet for these 100 motherfuckers and their 30 minute flight. Some lass thought it a good idea to get her head down for it. Slumped over the tray and using her coat as a pillow when she'd only get 10 minutes between seatbelt signs. Smooth take-offs and landings all the way apart from the windy entrance to Newark on the way over. So what did I do on the few hours before departure?

Well, it was back to the financial district. My quest to find a restroom started there. I know there's one in WTC but Google Maps had other ideas. I'm done with that. The location data never matches up quick enough to stop me (a man with no direction) from getting lost. Got my bearings, though. First I wandered into Brookfield Place and then realised why I think shopping in New York's a bit of a bust. They have none of the shit I like. I don't care for watches, jewelry or perfume. Or children's toys. Like, I could get something for the nephew but I'm not fitting a big, bastard pedal car in my luggage. It led me back down the Hudson where it all began. Still couldn't find a place to piss so I decided, "Fuck, where's Wall Street?" Google Maps eventually got me in the right area. Trinity Church is a nice focal point. Some famous founding fathers are buried there but I was really after the Federal Hall.

I found it, but not before the Charging Bull. Got a decent shot of that. Side-profile, natch. Not the crude bollocks the frat boys go for. So now we're at Bowling Green. I've been everywhere up and down Rector Street but seemingly keep turning away from the Fed. Then I finally hit it. The ground beneath me gets a little bit more pedestrianised. About fucking time. Grabbed a shot of George Washington, looked at the Trump Building and the construction going on and said, "Alright, what do I do with the other couple of hours?" I still need to take a piss. Google's thrown me a sensible suggestion of Pier 16. I know the direction the Hudson is in now so that should be easy. It was. Didn't expect it to throw me at South Street Seaport, though. You get a decent look at the Brooklyn and Washington(?) Bridges from there. And there's a restroom. And the old ships. The oldest is the most impressive but it's more the fact that it's been moored here.

Decent day and, when I got back to Newcastle, I started to notice what wasn't there. I've realised I love the noise the Tyne and Wear Metro engines make but there's a stench to the Subway that you just can't replicate. It's like burning rubber and rat shit. I got into Newcastle city centre and it looked so bloody empty. Had a oroper early Sunday morning look to it. I was walking around Durham for some shopping and was expecting to see a skyline. Hell, the Taco Bell on Grainger Street raised a smile. So yeah, a good five nights and there's a few things I can venture back for in future. If I can tag along with when my sis does eventually go, I can crowbar myself as a guide.

Fuck Google Maps.

Josh
26-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Enlighten me then.

7om
26-03-2019, 03:38 PM
No thanks.

Shindig
26-03-2019, 03:59 PM
The only part of Brooklyn I saw was around the vicinity of the Barclays Center and that was rough as hell. Didn't enjoy the walk back to my hotel at midnight.

I mean, my Manhattan experience kinda echoes this. Walking out of Penn Station into a stationed patrol car and fire engine with sirens on blast. I got more comfortable with the place but never needed to leave the hotel past sundown. Some cunts just like to aggro in public and I can't be arsed with it. I could live there and deal with it but, as a tourist, I just want to get stuff done when the sun's up. It doesn't have to be down to race. Just the fear that you have stuff on you that you don't want to lose. Plus you never feel like a bigger target than you do on your first day.

phonics
26-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Have you never been in a city before? :cab: Fire Engines! A police car!

Shindig
26-03-2019, 04:28 PM
I've never been to a city like New York before. Perceptions, first impressions and all that. Do you have any travel stories that don't involve being handheld by adults?

phonics
26-03-2019, 04:36 PM
I've never been to a city like New York before. Perceptions, first impressions and all that. Do you have any travel stories that don't involve being handheld by adults?

Are you asking if I've ever been to a city on my own?

John
26-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Fucking hell. Shindig experiencing the outside world is somehow worse than Phonics reading a couple of articles about something.

Shindig
26-03-2019, 04:51 PM
The point I'm trying to make is you have a very different point of reference to what a city is to me. Hell, even New York.

Going to an international school at the time, it was fun to type in friends last names into the computer they have to find out what they were actually called when their families arrived.

I am not well-traveled and scale does wonders. Hell, just being in a new place for the first time, in the pissing wind and rain and being smacked in the face with a noise just just don't get in fucking Newcastle, Edinburgh or Birmingham. At 00:45. After a day of travel. All cities are not like-for-like.

Baz
26-03-2019, 04:51 PM
At least he’s positive about it.

SvN
26-03-2019, 04:56 PM
I was robbed within 30 seconds of arriving in New York. I thought it was a bit of a shithole, really. Absolutely stunk too.

niko_cee
26-03-2019, 05:21 PM
You were robbed in the immigration line?

Not going out after dark sounds a bit mental as well.

Shindig
26-03-2019, 05:33 PM
Nah, it worked out well enough for time. I'd have pressed on if there was something I wanted to see or do but I'd managed to fit all that stuff in. Like I said, at the end I felt pretty comfortable with the place.

Boydy
26-03-2019, 05:37 PM
Fucking hell. Shindig experiencing the outside world is somehow worse than Phonics reading a couple of articles about something.

:D

Lol

Lewis
26-03-2019, 05:42 PM
It reads like the shit Blade Runner voiceover.

'I lay back and notice the sunlight coming through the curtains at seven o'clock. Time to get dressed. The window and my phone are on opposite sides of the bed, by the way. I am boss-eyed.'

'I walk out in yesterday's clothes and try to hail a cab. Three drive straight past. I want to boot a dog.'

Shindig
26-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Fuck it. I had a good time. Something I reall should've done sooner but whatever.

SvN
26-03-2019, 07:06 PM
You were robbed in the immigration line?

Not going out after dark sounds a bit mental as well.

I got the bus from Washington DC. My suitcase was stolen after the driver unloaded it while I was getting off the bus.

Josh
26-03-2019, 07:22 PM
I was robbed within 30 seconds of arriving in New York. I thought it was a bit of a shithole, really. Absolutely stunk too.

It is the dirtiest developed city known to man - proper disgusting.

However, it's also a very very fun place to live.

phonics
26-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Works got us going to SAN Francisco which apparently is 90% piss then the rest is fecal matter.

Spikey M
26-03-2019, 07:47 PM
It's atleast 70% ridiculous hills and 20% homeless people, so your sums are out.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-03-2019, 07:49 PM
I like San Francisco a lot.

Would have liked it a lot less if we didn't rent a car though.

Shindig
26-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I've heard that about shitty sidewalks and handrails. Really puts me off the place, aside from the other thing of being somewhat expensive.

mugbull
26-03-2019, 07:55 PM
You've heard about the shitty handrails? I haven't even heard about the shitty handrails and I live there.

Shindig
26-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Admittedly, I've only heard it anecdotally ... once but I'd be amazed if anyone trusted a handrail on the BART.

mugbull
26-03-2019, 08:05 PM
For all its weird dhit, bart is still a more pleasant experience than the London Underground

bruhnaldo
26-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Who knew the travel thread was so enthralling

niko_cee
26-03-2019, 08:09 PM
I got the bus from Washington DC. My suitcase was stolen after the driver unloaded it while I was getting off the bus.

Should have got the Amtrak.

niko_cee
26-03-2019, 08:13 PM
I remember getting the BART (I think, this was a tram type thing that turned into a bus) to the end of the line once (this was back in the 90s, I was a teenager) and getting out somewhere called Judah(?), which felt very much like the end of the earth.

It's probably an upmarket suburb now, but my abiding memory is literal tumbleweed in the street and going to a coffee shop which was entirely populated by people who had ostensibly got lost or been taken hostage at the end of the summer of love.

Spikey M
26-03-2019, 08:16 PM
For all its weird dhit, bart is still a more pleasant experience than the London Underground

High praise indeed.

Shindig
26-03-2019, 08:37 PM
n June 2017, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed an executive order declaring a state of emergency for the New York City Subway after a series of derailments, track fires, and overcrowding incidents. On June 27, 2017, thirty-nine people were injured when an A train derailed at 125th Street, damaging tracks and signals then catching on fire. On July 21, 2017, the second set of wheels on a southbound Q train jumped the track near Brighton Beach, with nine people suffering injuries due to improper maintenance of the car in question. To solve the system's problems, the MTA officially announced the Genius Transit Challenge on June 28, where contestants could submit ideas to improve signals, communications infrastructure, or rolling stock.

Oh. Sounds like one hell of a month. :|

SvN
26-03-2019, 08:45 PM
The trains in America are an absolute disgrace. Proper third world shit.

Shindig
26-03-2019, 08:49 PM
Seems like your only chance at a good (i.e. something money's been spent on) rail experience is ferrying between airport terminals.

7om
26-03-2019, 11:30 PM
These write ups are amazing. Fuck donating to the board, let's get Shindig to Detroit.

Lewis
26-03-2019, 11:34 PM
Haven't you hinted at enough racism today?

Shindig
27-03-2019, 11:32 AM
These write ups are amazing. Fuck donating to the board, let's get Shindig to Detroit.

I'm getting one more American trip in whilst my ESTA and passport are valid, although getting my dad south to Graceland would be a nice thing to do. He wants to go with my mam which unfortunately presents its own problems. One thing I've found out is that planes are really shit for disabled passengers.

Adamski
05-04-2019, 12:49 PM
In Bologna & Florence for the weekend. Bologna is quality so far, fairly small. Can walk end to end in the city centre in about 35 minutes.

Had the best ragu of my life for lunch.

Looking forward to seeing Florence on Sunday and going to the Fiorentina game. Think a couple of people have been to Florence - any dinner recommendations?

Spikey M
05-04-2019, 01:16 PM
One thing I've found out is that planes are really shit for disabled passengers.

If Mahow can get to Ukraine then you can manage it.

Shindig
05-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Mahow has working legs and a spine that isn't fucked. The person I'm considering has a wheelchair and a knackered back.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Isn't fucked is a stretch, it's certainly getting there.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-04-2019, 06:37 PM
Oh and yes, they are shit for disabled passengers. Not just the planes themselves but the support given to and from the plane can be sketchy.

We also book special assistance for my Sister and when we went to Dominican Republic they wouldn't let me or my Mum on the little cart with her. The others (an elderly lady and a woman who had broken her leg) were allowed to have a 'carer' sit with them. Made her a little stressed and nervous.

America is also the worst for assistance I've found, when we last went there they didn't seem to really give a shit.

Pepe
05-04-2019, 06:59 PM
Mahow having a working spine. :harold:

Magic
05-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Adored London. Just great.

Raoul Duke
05-04-2019, 08:02 PM
In Bologna & Florence for the weekend. Bologna is quality so far, fairly small. Can walk end to end in the city centre in about 35 minutes.

Had the best ragu of my life for lunch.

Looking forward to seeing Florence on Sunday and going to the Fiorentina game. Think a couple of people have been to Florence - any dinner recommendations?

La Prosciutteria for a bite, La Giostra Firenze, Konnubio or La Menagre for a proper date kinda meal - book ahead though

Shindig
06-04-2019, 10:47 PM
Hmmm ... Frisco has a Video Game Museum, a Railway Museum with a Union Pacific Big Boy on display and a Soccer Hall of Fame. Things that I would like to see when I next get stateside.

Magic
20-04-2019, 01:38 PM
So it's been hurricane winds and constant sideways rain in Murcia so far. This has limited us to...an English bar. Full of annoying cockney English cunts.

There is nothing to do, I am bored as fuck.

Mistake coming on this holiday, totally terrible for someone with ADD. I was thinking about booking in for a massage at the hotel that's just over a mile away. I'm hopeless on my own but I cannot stand just lying around or going to the same awful bar with awful food and awful people. My dad, his mate and his cousin and wife are all nice people but they're quite happy to just lounge around and do fuck all. What was I thinking.

Spikey M
20-04-2019, 02:06 PM
Is constantly banging on about ADD a symptom of ADD?

Magic
20-04-2019, 02:14 PM
I haven't mentioned it a lot, only where its relevant. I'm just very conscious now how to alleviate symptoms and I've put myself in a situation where I can't.

I'm enjoying myself but I feel like a ticking time bomb, as I've got no stimulation. Here's to doing something totally fucking stupid for kicks.

Magic
22-04-2019, 08:57 PM
Just went out for a walk on my lonesome. Almost went in to a bar but bottled it. Its hard enough even everyone speaks the same language lawl.

Went for a pizza and I asked the owner about what to do in Murcia. He said its the busiest day off the year tomorrow, some Easter festival or some shit so that should be fun.

Kikó
22-04-2019, 09:08 PM
Booked Gdansk for the bank holiday weekend. 😎

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-04-2019, 09:51 PM
Just went out for a walk on my lonesome. Almost went in to a bar but bottled it. Its hard enough even everyone speaks the same language lawl.

Went for a pizza and I asked the owner about what to do in Murcia. He said its the busiest day off the year tomorrow, some Easter festival or some shit so that should be fun.

What about the weather?

Shindig
22-04-2019, 09:56 PM
Enjoy yourself, Madge.

Magic
22-04-2019, 10:00 PM
What about the weather?

It was cold. I had a tshirt and a hoody on so I didn't feel particularly well to do. Perhaps that added to my confidence being low. I know this is a bit Autism 101 but I would never do this in the past, even contemplate it. I have my life sorted, why would I bother. Totally different now; I feel very alone and very exposed so I guess I have no choice. I desperately want to make new friends I'm just really shit at it, or so I think.

Read friends, not birds. But I could pick up along the way.

Magic
22-04-2019, 10:02 PM
Enjoy yourself, Madge.

Also this is difficult when I'm with my dad, who still has this oppression towering over my mindset. His presence makes me feel very small and insecure, which isn't helping. That said, anyone is better than no one which is why I'm glad he's actually coming with me to Murcia tomorrow.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-04-2019, 10:06 PM
It was cold. I had a tshirt and a hoody on so I didn't feel particularly well to do. Perhaps that added to my confidence being low. I know this is a bit Autism 101 but I would never do this in the past, even contemplate it. I have my life sorted, why would I bother. Totally different now; I feel very alone and very exposed so I guess I have no choice. I desperately want to make new friends I'm just really shit at it, or so I think.

Read friends, not birds. But I could pick up along the way.

Thanks, I was on edge having had no weather update today.

Magic
22-04-2019, 10:08 PM
Thanks, I was on edge having had no weather update today.

Follow me on Snapchat for almost hourly updates.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-04-2019, 10:15 PM
As if I'd add a male on Snapchat.

Magic
22-04-2019, 10:16 PM
As if you'd add anyone on Snapchat you bloated, incel cunt.

phonics
22-04-2019, 10:24 PM
Mahow only has Snapchat to follow camgirls premium feeds.

Lewis
21-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Can I see what I need to see/be disgusted with what I need to be disgusted with with one and a half days in Paris? I booked a package through Eurostar (the train is part of the appeal, and it seemed less hassle) which gives me all Thursday and most of Friday.

Jimmy Floyd
21-06-2019, 03:13 PM
It'll take you about 40 minutes to find that it's an overpriced shit tip and then you can just spend the rest of the time in your particular sites of interest.

Lewis
21-06-2019, 03:14 PM
That's good enough for me.

Spikey M
21-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Croatia is absolutely stunning. Probably the prettiest place I have ever been. However, I have just been to the bar and asked for a whisky and coke. Now, the coke is only there because I expect a Croatian All Inclusives whisky to be pretty poor, but what I have been presented with can only have come about by the hand of someone that has never even had the taste of whisky described to them, never mind tasted it first hand.

#Brexit

Kikó
22-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Just back from a work trip in Singapore. Can confirm, it's absolutely cracking. Safe, clean, v foods incredible, people are great. Highly recommend a visit and I barely saw anything.

Magic
17-07-2019, 12:06 AM
So Kraków was tremendous.

We sang fuck BREXIT with the locals. My brother got lifted like a pencil by a local strongman in a pub. We danced on tables after midnight in the ghetto. I had water thrown at me by a passing car, not sure why but it was either because I was a tourist or because I looked like a Jew. They shouted stuff but in Polish. I had a war with a Jewish barman because poured the wrong drink. I refused to pay, he refused to budge. Of course I won.

Just a mental few days but not in a pissed up lad brexity way. Top, top place to which I will be returning. Still prefer Budapest though.

John Arne
17-07-2019, 03:02 AM
Just back from a work trip in Singapore. Can confirm, it's absolutely cracking. Safe, clean, v foods incredible, people are great. Highly recommend a visit and I barely saw anything.

Interesting take. I hate the place. Great restaurant and foods - but outside of that - completely hollow, soulless city.

Spikey M
17-07-2019, 05:36 AM
Home from home for a resident of London.

Kikó
17-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Interesting take. I hate the place. Great restaurant and foods - but outside of that - completely hollow, soulless city.

Spikes is probably right.

niko_cee
17-07-2019, 08:48 PM
There are definitely interesting bits to Singapore, but last time I went it felt like most of those had been subsumed by megamalls, interlinked office buildings and frankly dreadful 'high end' chain restaurants.

Sentosa Island being a prime example. It was some bizarre, retro, slightly bond-villain-esque unloved resort with a giant mermaid lion statue thing, but now it's a Universal Studios toting western brands boasting hellhole. Gentrification chucks character under the bus.

Spikey M
17-07-2019, 09:04 PM
I think we're going to book Croatia again for next year. Probably the Istrian Peninsula again. But, before we do so, does anyone have any recommendations for similar places?

We want natural beauty and access to a proper town with decent restaurants.

Lewis
17-07-2019, 10:21 PM
I am in Paris. Their great train station appears to serve as a crack den at night, so we'll see how the rest of it stacks up.

Baz
18-07-2019, 05:42 AM
I think we're going to book Croatia again for next year. Probably the Istrian Peninsula again. But, before we do so, does anyone have any recommendations for similar places?

We want natural beauty and access to a proper town with decent restaurants.How about Montenegro?

Giggles
18-07-2019, 05:54 AM
Kinsale.

Kikó
18-07-2019, 05:53 PM
There are definitely interesting bits to Singapore, but last time I went it felt like most of those had been subsumed by megamalls, interlinked office buildings and frankly dreadful 'high end' chain restaurants.

Sentosa Island being a prime example. It was some bizarre, retro, slightly bond-villain-esque unloved resort with a giant mermaid lion statue thing, but now it's a Universal Studios toting western brands boasting hellhole. Gentrification chucks character under the bus.

i think I was looking at it as a place to work and live rather than somewhere more interesting but mental like Vietnam or Cambodia.

niko_cee
18-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Yeah, well, as a place to work the tax rate is pretty decent.

Spikey M
18-07-2019, 06:00 PM
How about Montenegro?

It's one of the options. Struggling to find hotels that would keep everyone happy though.

Kinsale.

I forgot to mention 'good weather'.

Magic
18-07-2019, 07:53 PM

We want natural beauty and access to a proper town with decent restaurants.

Budapest? Sarajevo?

Andy
18-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Have had a pretty hectic year with travelling so far. Have been to Hamburg, Oslo, Berlin and Brugge so far with a trip to Edinburgh in August and a couple of weeks all inclusive in Greece in September.

Already starting to think about next year, anyone been to the Cannes, Nice, Monaco area of France?

Lewis
18-07-2019, 08:32 PM
One of the tat-selling illegals near the Eiffel Tower started making some string bracelet on my hand (I thought he was just some other tourist at first so I took his handshake like a pleb), and I was going nah mate you're alright. He then says 'No, no. You can pay what you want'. I've got about forty cents in my pocket so whatever.

Then he finishes it, right, and he goes 'Come on. Five euros. Five coins'. I went 'Pfft have it back', and he shit himself and backed off at me pushing my wrist/fist towards him, so lol I inadvertently ended up mugging him.

Shindig
18-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Reminds me of the time I saw a bloke in town give a lass a rose. She smiled, went "Awww, thanks." and then he asked for £5 for it. Her boyfriend fucking lamped him.

Raoul Duke
18-07-2019, 09:02 PM
One of the tat-selling illegals near the Eiffel Tower started making some string bracelet on my hand (I thought he was just some other tourist at first so I took his handshake like a pleb), and I was going nah mate you're alright. He then says 'No, no. You can pay what you want'. I've got about forty cents in my pocket so whatever.

Then he finishes it, right, and he goes 'Come on. Five euros. Five coins'. I went 'Pfft have it back', and he shit himself and backed off at me pushing my wrist/fist towards him, so lol I inadvertently ended up mugging him.

They do that to distract you from the pickpockets.

Go check out Montmarte - it's a bit lovely up there

hfswjyr
19-07-2019, 07:22 AM

If a van pulls up and offers you candy, don't get in.

Pepe
19-07-2019, 03:38 PM
Lewis, what did you go to France for?

Lewis
19-07-2019, 03:46 PM
To see what they're up to.

There is an old man in a remain t-shirt waiting for the train. Fifty re-tweets and I'll bang him out.

Baz
19-07-2019, 05:03 PM
Show us your bracelet. :gay:

Pepe
19-07-2019, 05:56 PM
What are they up to?

igor_balis
19-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Have had a pretty hectic year with travelling so far. Have been to Hamburg, Oslo, Berlin and Brugge so far with a trip to Edinburgh in August and a couple of weeks all inclusive in Greece in September.

Already starting to think about next year, anyone been to the Cannes, Nice, Monaco area of France?

when you in Edinburgh? :henn0rz:

Lewis
19-07-2019, 07:24 PM
What are they up to?

Mostly smoking and driving like spastics.

Spikey M
19-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Decided on Croatia again. It really was great.

10 days this time.

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-07-2019, 07:55 PM
You can't really go wrong with Croatia, it's stunning.

Spending a week driving from Rijeka down to Dubrovnik staying places along the way was brilliant.

mugbull
19-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Croatia is great for partying/drugs/drinking

Shindig
19-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Do they have any Butlin style holiday parks with good tribute acts and an 8pm curfew?

Yevrah
19-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Can you get into the business class lounges at airports by paying to do so if you haven't got a business class ticket?

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Can you get into the business class lounges at airports by paying to do so if you haven't got a business class ticket?

Yep.

Ask someone and they'll tell you which desk to go to.

Yevrah
19-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Cheers Mahow.

Kikó
19-07-2019, 10:00 PM
Isn't it just the aspire type things? If you have an amex gold that gets you into all of those types (2 free then €20 surcharge)

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-07-2019, 10:12 PM
The Aspire lot do a annual pass or something I think but almost all airports/airlines/lounges will allow you to purchase a day access.

Lewis
19-07-2019, 10:16 PM
I liked Paris. London could learn a lot from its high-density housing, which makes it fantastic for just mooching about (although my colleague used to live there, and she reckons most of the accommodation is atrocious). At the same time, I was surprised how shitty its public spaces are bearing in mind the traffic they get. I know they have to preserve it all as it has always been as not to provoke mass Asian suicides, but take the Eiffel Tower for example (or the grounds around the Louvre). You're talking about one of if not the most popular tourist attractions on Earth, and around it you've got council grass and gravel paths from forty years ago. They should also be shooting all of the souvenir twats. I know you get Union Jack tat stalls around London, but I don't think you'd last long selling rip-off designer bags in Trafalgar Square.

I think the military museum/Napoleon's tomb was the best bit for me, even if it doesn't appear to acknowledge the War of the Spanish Succession, and even if they haven't translated any of the French Resistance stuff into English (unlike every other exhibit) because it's probably full of lies.

Pepe
20-07-2019, 12:07 AM
I remember quite liking Paris, but I can't remember any highlight. Montmartre maybe?

phonics
20-07-2019, 04:33 AM
I’m in Mexico City. It’s inspired a joke.

How did the Mexican cross the road?

Very fucking carefully.

It’s terrifying. I end up waiting for someone else to cross and hide behind them.

Shindig
20-07-2019, 08:19 AM
Wow, Lewis wasn't kidding about the grounds around the tower. That's a lot of space that feels underused.

Pepe
20-07-2019, 12:35 PM
I’m in Mexico City. It’s inspired a joke.

How did the Mexican cross the road?

Very fucking carefully.

It’s terrifying. I end up waiting for someone else to cross and hide behind them.

Yes, just wait for the sea of people to carry you through. Also once you're in, you have to commit.

What are you there for?

phonics
29-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Left for the airport 2pm on Sunday, arrived home 12:01 am on Tuesday. Immediatelyu left swiping any tinder profile with 'Loves to travel' from now on.

Giggles
30-07-2019, 04:55 AM
That's them all.

phonics
30-07-2019, 11:45 PM
Piccies from Mexico

https://i.imgur.com/03P8v1c.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aFfmjzX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ooVmvQw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zFV04dK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/G7JM0tJ.jpg

Shindig
31-07-2019, 07:55 AM
Nice. That's one thing I didn't do nearly enough of in New York. I took pictures but none of them felt proper.

Smjffy
10-09-2019, 12:15 PM
I've got two weeks off from the 23rd onwards so I figured a holiday would be ideal. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune, a week to 10 days would suffice, decent weather, decent food, decent beach and silence is what I'm after.

Certainly no more than £500 for flight and hotel. Is that stingy?

Ian
16-09-2019, 02:08 PM
The sites that specialise in bargain holidays (and usually rubbish airlines, obvs) will probably do you somewhere decent for that sort of price.

I dunno what the best of those sites is but a bunch of my friends have had some success with Holiday Pirates.

-james-
08-10-2019, 04:49 PM
I'm in Copenhagen. In city terms it's basically utopia. Might up sticks.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
08-10-2019, 06:27 PM
That's another one I need to visit.

This weekend we're off to Italy. Starting in Venice then heading to Bologna, Florence, Naples and Rome.

We have 4 nights in Rome, 3 in Florence and 2 in the rest.

The likes of Pompeii, the Colosseum and the Duomo are a given but, given the time frames, are there any other particular must do/must sees to prioritise?

Giggles
08-10-2019, 06:53 PM
It's too expensive that it clouds any redeeming features.

Kikó
08-10-2019, 07:08 PM
I'm off to Belgrade in a few weeks for the United game. Anyone been and have any recommendations?

Raoul Duke
08-10-2019, 07:24 PM

This weekend we're off to Italy. Starting in Venice then heading to Bologna, Florence, Naples and Rome.

The likes of Pompeii, the Colosseum and the Duomo are a given but, given the time frames, are there any other particular must do/must sees to prioritise?

Florence is amazing. Must sees:
- Galleria dell'Academia (with the Statue of David)
- Piazza Del Duomo
- Ponte Vecchio
- Uffizi Galleria (Botticelli's)

Capelle Medicee was spectacular I thought too.

Don't bother with Pisa, but do take a day trip to Siena if you can (I'd probably do half a day in Bologna and then half in Siena - I didn't think much of Bologna)

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Venice is a smelly hovel.

phonics
08-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Word, the only good bit is the glassblowing factory on the island just off it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-10-2019, 08:54 PM
I wasn't there long enough (got a train the next day to Trieste) to go and visit the glass blowing which is a shame.

Spikey M
09-10-2019, 05:15 AM

I've heard both Venice and Naples are absolute slums and Rome is good for a few things, including graffiti, over priced icecream and getting mugged.

Clunge
09-10-2019, 05:21 AM
Off to Iceland for 10 days next Friday. Anyone been?

hfswjyr
09-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Italy - skip Naples, and go for a day trip out to the Amalfi coast and Positano.

Iceland - northern lights, Sólheimasandur plane crash, surprisingly good food, stunning scenery, geysers, waterfalls, arctic and atlantic ocean meeting place, whale watching, blue lagoon is a bit touristy but still OK.
10 days is plenty, hire a car and drive the country.
And the absolute highlight - go see this in person.
https://camteria.com/en/iceland/reykjavik/last-mcdonalds-meal-iceland_cam_9534

And it's quite pricey.

Spikey M
09-10-2019, 08:44 AM
Iceland - surprisingly good food

:baz:

The Merse
10-10-2019, 03:59 AM
This fucking Typhoon is a bit of an issue. It’s hitting precisely where we’re intending to be for Saturday/Sunday (a beach spot called Kamakura and then Yokohama). Will likely need to get the travel insurance out.

General thoughts on Japan so far is that it’s the absolute dogs bollocks. Tokyo was grand for a couple of days and I’ve plenty still to do there in the final couple of days of the trip back there. Shizuoka for the game yesterday was hot as hell, and nice and dry - the humidity in Tokyo was a bit difficult. Off to Fuji today, about to board the bus that makes up the middle part of my three stage journey out there. Will be a flying 24 hour visit as my knee won’t manage any hiking, and I’m leaving my mate there for him to tackle as much as the trek as he can on Friday whilst I head back to Shizuoka for Australia vs Georgia.

People are cracking. The famously reserved nature doesn’t at all stop them going out of their way to help.

Clunge
10-10-2019, 05:32 AM
I loved Japan almost without condition. It was immense.

Clunge
10-10-2019, 05:34 AM
Iceland - northern lights, Sólheimasandur plane crash, surprisingly good food, stunning scenery, geysers, waterfalls, arctic and atlantic ocean meeting place, whale watching, blue lagoon is a bit touristy but still OK.
10 days is plenty, hire a car and drive the country.
And the absolute highlight - go see this in person.
https://camteria.com/en/iceland/reykjavik/last-mcdonalds-meal-iceland_cam_9534

And it's quite pricey.
Ta. Pretty much all on our list already. We’re doing the ring road. Hopefully the weather isn’t too gnarly as we’ve not gone 4x4 (we’re not planning to stray off proper roads).

Can’t wait to get to Jokulsarlon and Vik on the south coast. Looks amazing.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
29-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Well Italy was fantastic, even if I am all 'Churched-out'.

Only thing I'd have changed was staying in Naples itself, there really is rubbish and dog shit everywhere- worth a day visit though just to see how utterly insane the traffic is. The Bourbon tunnels are fascinating too.

Toss-up between Florence and Rome as the favourites but just by visiting 5 different cities it felt like lots of mini-holidays so seemed to last for ages.

Coming off a small side street onto the Piazza del Duomo was something else though, surreal.

Shindig
29-10-2019, 07:43 PM
God damn. That does sound mint.

SvN
29-10-2019, 10:54 PM
Off to Dublin in a few weeks. I went there for a stag do a few years ago and pretty sure I did it completely wrong as I thought it was an expensive shithole.

Most of the weekend will be spent in pubs, but where should we be going to/avoiding?`

randomlegend
29-10-2019, 11:21 PM
We've just come back from Budapest and Vienna. Did two nights in Budapest, train to Vienna and two nights there.

Budapest is beautiful but Bulgarians are the most unfriendly fuckers I have ever encountered in my life. So miserable. Vienna is a great city, loved it.
dino Copenhagen is one of the top ones on my list. So many insane restaurants to bankcrupt myself in :drool:

Soz SvN I have no Dublin advice to give you.

phonics
29-10-2019, 11:33 PM
Off to Dublin in a few weeks. I went there for a stag do a few years ago and pretty sure I did it completely wrong as I thought it was an expensive shithole.

Most of the weekend will be spent in pubs, but where should we be going to/avoiding?`

I managed to pull on Christmas Eve because the Westin Hotel bar was the only thing open and I had a room key. So try apply that?

-james-
30-10-2019, 12:27 AM
We've just come back from Budapest and Vienna. Did two nights in Budapest, train to Vienna and two nights there.

Budapest is beautiful but Bulgarians are the most unfriendly fuckers I have ever encountered in my life. So miserable. Vienna is a great city, loved it.
dino Copenhagen is one of the top ones on my list. So many insane restaurants to bankcrupt myself in :drool:

Soz SvN I have no Dublin advice to give you.

People do tend to get grumpy if you confuse their country for one it isn't even close to.

You'll bankrupt yourself at the regular restaurants in Copenhagen, never mind the ridiculous ones. It's a shame you're not a beer wanker because the Mikkeller bar is as good as it gets. Everything I drank there was the best ever.

Giggles
30-10-2019, 05:05 AM

Avoid Temple Bar like the plague. But if you're going on a stag that's exactly where you'll end up.

Clunge
30-10-2019, 06:24 AM
Iceland was fucking brutal. We had every weather from gorgeous sun to snowstorms, sandstorms and 100mph+ winds over our ten days. Had to change our plans half way due to the snow, but made it work. The scenery is just bananas - it changes every 10km-15km radically, as does the local climate. I’ve never been anywhere that felt so alien at times. Loved the fact hot dogs are A Thing in Iceland, and the people are terrific. They’re never overtly friendly or chummy unless you seek it out, and then they couldn’t be nicer. And while I hate being that Brit abroad who doesn’t give the lingo a bash, they default to English so readily. Did make it very easy to navigate and sort things when we had travel probs.

hfswjyr
30-10-2019, 07:46 AM
Italy - skip Naples, and go for a day trip out to the Amalfi coast and Positano.

Well Italy was fantastic, even if I am all 'Churched-out'.
Only thing I'd have changed was staying in Naples itself, there really is rubbish and dog shit everywhere- worth a day visit though just to see how utterly insane the traffic is. The Bourbon tunnels are fascinating too.

Grrrrr....

randomlegend
30-10-2019, 08:05 AM
People do tend to get grumpy if you confuse their country for one it isn't even close to.

You'll bankrupt yourself at the regular restaurants in Copenhagen, never mind the ridiculous ones. It's a shame you're not a beer wanker because the Mikkeller bar is as good as it gets. Everything I drank there was the best ever.

Whoops :D

*Hungarian

Alan Shearer The 2nd
30-10-2019, 06:46 PM
Grrrrr....

If you were offering to refund the airbnb that was already booked sure...

Raoul Duke
01-11-2019, 05:29 PM
I've booked to visit Cologne over new years. We're in Belgium already and it's cheap/quick to get to. Will be nice for a bit of a change. No idea what it's like but seems quintessentially Germanic enough to tick most of the boxes.

Boydy
01-11-2019, 05:53 PM

No, that's basically all it is these days.

Giggles
01-11-2019, 06:38 PM
No, that's basically all it is these days.

No it isn't. There's great places outside the tourist traps.

Shindig
15-12-2019, 09:47 PM
Starting to tentatively plan San Francisco. I want to see how far the money I have left from last year can stretch. Alcatraz and the two ships in Fisherman's Wharf are definite stops. I'm not going there until March but I fancy getting a handle on things before going. Public transport looks like it's good enough to abuse to get around.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-12-2019, 09:57 PM
San Francisco is brilliant.

Giggles
17-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Back in good old dirty Dublin. If I never see a Brewers Fayre again in my life it’ll be too fucking soon.

Shindig
21-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Alright, San Francisco is booked. 7 nights staying in Fisherman's Wharf. 18 hours travel time :| For some reason they really like to transfer at LAX.

Does that mean I'm going through security twice? Once at Newcastle then once through LAX?

niko_cee
21-12-2019, 09:56 PM
You can fly direct from Newcastle to LA?

Shindig
21-12-2019, 10:04 PM
Nah, I fly Newcastle --> Heathrow --> LA --> San Fran. On the way back it's San Fran --> JFK --> Heathrow --> Newcastle.

It's gonna drain me.

Spikey M
21-12-2019, 10:36 PM
I'd rather lop a bollock off. I'd go to Wales if I wanted to see homeless people and hills.

Shindig
21-12-2019, 11:35 PM
I'm going to look at famous places I've heard of, take pictures of them and then post them to facebook. And complain about the $20 resort charge they're charging me for each day.

EDIT: I err... wonder if the 737-Max's will be up then?

Clunge
22-12-2019, 08:10 PM
737 Max won't be up until March / April in the US, even longer in Europe.

7om
22-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Does this mean we get another Shindig hour-by-hour running commentary? Genuinely can’t wait.

Shindig
22-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Not this time. I'll just crack on.

Giggles
22-12-2019, 08:57 PM
I’d read it. The place sounds like my worst nightmare so this would be as close as I’d get to experiencing it.

Shindig
22-12-2019, 09:09 PM
I'll think about it. I feel like this thread falls flat sometimes.

Raoul Duke
23-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Be warned: jet lag coming from the west coast back to the UK is brutal. Prepare for 1-2 weeks of fucked up sleep.

Shindig
23-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I didn't much care for it coming back from the east coast. I've got about a week to recover and I'm hoping I can get some sleep on the plane.

Magic
23-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Be warned: jet lag coming from the west coast back to the UK is brutal. Prepare for 1-2 weeks of fucked up sleep.

Then you can ease yourself back in to the usual fucked up sleep.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Annoyingly I sleep so well when I go to America (get tired around 10pm, asleep by midnight at the absolute latest and up by 9) but I sleep like shit here.

My body is completely tuned for American timezones and I have no idea why.

Pepe
23-12-2019, 09:30 PM
All the Diet Coke must have something to do with it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-12-2019, 09:31 PM
*Zero.

I drink the same amount when I'm over there too.

Magic
23-12-2019, 10:01 PM
It's probably because your ass traverses GMT through EST.

Giggles
23-12-2019, 10:06 PM
I couple never sleep properly in America. Was always up rattling around at 5am.

Kikó
23-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Singapore/Hong Kong for me. Absolute nightmare to acclimatise to.

Spikey M
23-12-2019, 10:53 PM
I've never been as far as the West coast, but I've done the Caribbean a few times. The first time was Cuba and I was awake at 3am for the first week. Nightmare.

The second time was our honeymoon and I had barely slept in the run up to the wedding, our wedding night or the night before we flew out, so I crashed at 10pm on the first night and slept through until morning.

I can only assume that the secret is being unfathomably tired before you go.

Jimmy Floyd
23-12-2019, 11:08 PM
It's going west to east that fucks you up. I can't even get to Croydon without falling asleep.

Shindig
24-12-2019, 08:51 AM
New York was fine for me. I managed a decent 7 hours sleep on the first night. As Jimmy says, coming back is murder. Losing the extra time and then coming home to broad daylight is a mindfuck.

Magic
10-01-2020, 11:00 PM
Anyone been to Hamburg? Just booked flights in April.

igor_balis
14-01-2020, 01:34 PM
This guys videos are class

https://youtu.be/oaletsYICyI

John Arne
14-01-2020, 03:26 PM
The episode where he finds his old friend in Belarus is great. Felt for the old geezer.

John
14-01-2020, 04:26 PM
Rumbled, Sean. Give the account back.

Spikey M
19-02-2020, 07:58 AM
I'm on a Facebook page for where we're going on holiday in June and the below is there at the same time as us. If the 'ex' wasn't before the 'jw' I'd be cancelling the whole thing.

https://i.ibb.co/kSsYRFT/20200219-075247.jpg

How can someone that bad actually exist? :sick:

-james-
19-02-2020, 09:18 AM
I'd say four of those five are definitively good things to be.

Giggles
19-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Ex is about the only one that isn't cuntish.

"Upcycler" :sick: Spikey M do the world a favour and end them, it might be the one that takes the hive down.

Spikey M
19-02-2020, 10:18 AM
I'd say four of those five are definitively good things to be.

They may be good things to be, but when they're front and centre of a Facebook profile it's a fair indicator that anybody meeting them is going to suffer a lecture or 3.

Shindig
23-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Travelex is back, right? I fancy getting a touch more travel money to cover the 'get fucked' $20 a night service charge from the hotel.

Spikey M
23-02-2020, 04:06 PM
I tried to get a price for Croatian Kuna a couple of weeks ago and they said they still couldn't get it because of the Travelex stuff.

Giggles
23-02-2020, 05:23 PM
I need a European holiday for the summer. Warm but not a resort full of cunts, want to walk around a town a bit. Malta and Sorrento spring to mind but I’ve done them so something along similar lines.

EDIT: Not Croatia, no weird Hostel countries.

Kikó
23-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Why don't you try Puglia?

Giggles
23-02-2020, 05:47 PM
Why don't you try Puglia?

That looks to be an area, Do you mean Bari? Looks a good shout though if there’s something fairly tourist aimed in it.

Actually, on further look it looks like it’s for someone that’s minted. The monaco of italy. Anyone any ideas for a regular?

Raoul Duke
23-02-2020, 06:35 PM
I need a European holiday for the summer. Warm but not a resort full of cunts, want to walk around a town a bit. Malta and Sorrento spring to mind but I’ve done them so something along similar lines.

I've just spend a few days in Seville - cannot recommend it highly enough. Fantastic place. Might be bananas in the summer as it'll get mega hot (though it's pretty well architected to be heat resistant). If you wanted a longer trip you could go up to Granada and see the Alhambra too.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-02-2020, 06:42 PM
Just embrace your OAPness, go to Benidorm and eat egg and chips every day.

Jimmy Floyd
23-02-2020, 06:54 PM
I've just spend a few days in Seville - cannot recommend it highly enough. Fantastic place. Might be bananas in the summer as it'll get mega hot (though it's pretty well architected to be heat resistant). If you wanted a longer trip you could go up to Granada and see the Alhambra too.

+1 for Seville. Best city in Europe.

Shindig
23-02-2020, 06:55 PM
He's not taking the piss, either. Mahow went to the Dominican Republic for a Butlins experience.

Spikey M
23-02-2020, 07:19 PM

Croatia is nothing of the sort (The cities might be).

It's one of prettiest places I've been.

Kikó
23-02-2020, 07:26 PM
That looks to be an area, Do you mean Bari? Looks a good shout though if there’s something fairly tourist aimed in it.

Actually, on further look it looks like it’s for someone that’s minted. The monaco of italy. Anyone any ideas for a regular?

There are glorious beaches down in the heel. Fly to Bari and drive.

Or try Siena.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Croatia is nothing of the sort (The cities might be).

It's one of prettiest places I've been.

I think it's my favourite country to visit, genuinely lovely to drive round too as the coastal roads are picturesque.

Plus they know how to cook meat.

Luca
23-02-2020, 09:30 PM
There are glorious beaches down in the heel. Fly to Bari and drive.

Or try Siena.

Giggles, Puglia is one of the cheapest places in the country. Lovely spot. Taranto and surrounding areas are great as well.

Luca
23-02-2020, 09:31 PM
I think it's my favourite country to visit, genuinely lovely to drive round too as the coastal roads are picturesque.

Plus they know how to cook meat.

Cevapi :drool:

Giggles
23-02-2020, 10:26 PM
I’ll give those a further look when I’m on the laptop cheers. Except Croatia. Like fuck an I going to the Balkans to get robbed and chopped up.

Spikey M
23-02-2020, 10:28 PM
It's a good job there's no organised crime in Italy.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-02-2020, 10:35 PM
Cevapi :drool:

Those are indeed great. I love that whole roasted pork (of which you can buy X amount of) is a proper thing there, it is in Slovakia as well.

In one of the places we stayed the owners Dad owned a bakery and once made pork and potatoes in his bakery for us, it was stunning.

I'm also a big fan of the cabbage salad too.

Giggles
23-02-2020, 10:36 PM
It's a good job there's no organised crime in Italy.

They do it for money not kicks.

-james-
23-02-2020, 10:53 PM
Anyone been to San Francisco? £300 odd return flights in May look tasty.

Spikey M
23-02-2020, 11:03 PM
Mugball has and that probably accounts for the drop in price.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-02-2020, 11:18 PM

It's quality.

Josh
24-02-2020, 03:51 AM

I went a few years back and going again in July with a trip to Lake Tahoe. SF is great, accommodation is seriously expensive though.

Shindig
24-02-2020, 07:10 AM

I paid double that. :moop: And almost a grand for 7 nights accommodation. Looks like most of the tourist stuff is packed into the north of the city but I fancy getting out into Alameda for the Naval Base and USS Hornet.

Giggles
24-02-2020, 07:25 AM
Can't find any holidays to Puglia leaving out of here apart from a couple of resorts, and they look to be rancid with people during the summer. You could probably try fly to Bari and wing it but I find holidays stressful enough so I like to have hotel and transfers and all arranged beforehand in a package.

Seville doesn't look bad. I wouldn't sit on a bus for 3 hours to Granada and I still need to see how easy it is to get from the nearest airport (Cadiz?), but the city looks to have a few bits to see and would fill a week.

Jimmy Floyd
24-02-2020, 08:20 AM
Seville has its own airport. There are lots of good day trips that can be done including Jerez (booze), Cadiz (sea) and a few others.

Giggles
24-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Seville has its own airport. There are lots of good day trips that can be done including Jerez (booze), Cadiz (sea) and a few others.

Aye I found it after, Ryanair go into SVQ. Hadn't spotted it at first. Have to go out of the office later on this morning and might call into the travel agents and see what they have.

John Arne
24-02-2020, 08:31 AM
Aye I found it after, Ryanair go into SVQ. Hadn't spotted it at first. Have to go out of the office later on this morning and might call into the travel agents and see what they have.

Travel Agents... Is that still a thing? Genuinely... what do you need them for?

Spikey M
24-02-2020, 08:32 AM
Booking holidays I believe.

Giggles
24-02-2020, 08:34 AM
Travel Agents... Is that still a thing? Genuinely... what do you need them for?

With all the deception online these days I'd feel far better being able to sit face to face with someone about booking a hotel. I'm not saying they wouldn't screw you over too but there's less chance of ending up in some cesspit on top of a motorway when you can march in and hold them accountable when you get back. I'd also rather book a package than do everything separately so I will have transfers from the airport to the hotel and all that.

I booked the honeymoon to Sorrento through this same one and everything was exactly as they said it was going to be (apart from Naples airport being the worst place I have ever been in my life).

John Arne
24-02-2020, 08:38 AM
With all the deception online these days I'd feel far better being able to sit face to face with someone about booking a hotel. I'm not saying they wouldn't screw you over too but there's less chance of ending up in some cesspit on top of a motorway when you can march in and hold them accountable when you get back. I'd also rather book a package than do everything separately so I will have transfers from the airport to the hotel and all that.

I booked the honeymoon to Sorrento through this same one and everything was exactly as they said it was going to be (apart from Naples airport being the worst place I have ever been in my life).

Fair do's.

Andy
24-02-2020, 09:17 AM
I use an independent travel agent and shes great, were going to South Africa in October, four different hotels/apartments, 3 flights and several other transfers all booked and paying via a monthly direct debit.

Worked out slightly cheaper than when I looked at individual prices online.

I think if youre just booking a big standard package holiday in Europe then a travel agent could potentially could you more for something that's easy to book. For anything bespoke it takes away all the hassle and can end up cheaper than trying to source everything yourself.

Giggles
24-02-2020, 09:22 AM
I don’t mind paying more to use a travel agent. They can’t offer their service for free.

Like if I go on and look at hotels on booking.com or trivial then who knows what I’ll actually get? Travel agents tend to deal with hotels and have built up relationships and know reputations.

Giggles
24-02-2020, 09:37 AM
How big an issue would the heat be?

hfswjyr
24-02-2020, 09:57 AM
Ask your travel agent?

Jokes. But I still have no idea.

Giggles
24-02-2020, 10:00 AM
She's a bit iffy about the heat as I hadn't realised just how baking it would be. I've did 40+ in Texas before and it was horrendous, though someone above mentioned it would be well set up to combat it.

Shindig
24-02-2020, 07:21 PM
A quick google says 32 celcius high in June, 36 in July.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
24-02-2020, 08:01 PM

How was Sorrento itself?

We loved our 2 week tour of Italy last October and are thinking about heading to Sorrento this year.

Giggles
24-02-2020, 08:02 PM
How was Sorrento itself?

We loved our 2 week tour of Italy last October and are thinking about heading to Sorrento this year.

Loved it. Lots to see as regards day trips, etc and it’s just a class town to mooch around. Some gorgeous restaurants and all.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
24-02-2020, 09:10 PM
A week about cover it nicely you reckon?

Giggles
24-02-2020, 09:34 PM
A week about cover it nicely you reckon?

Yeah definitely. Few days for trips if that’s your thing and 4 for mooching is plenty.

Adamski
25-02-2020, 07:06 AM
Check out Bologna or Girona as well. Great little cities with lots of bigger places nearby if you fancy it.

hfswjyr
25-02-2020, 09:47 AM
Sorrento, Positano and the Amalfi Coast are some of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Waffdon
27-02-2020, 04:07 PM
I’m in Budapest. Is there any decent places I should go? I’m with the missus.

It seems a bit of a dive on first impressions, though I’m bang in the centre of Terazvaros - no idea if that’s the place to be or not.

igor_balis
27-02-2020, 05:23 PM

It seems a bit of a dive on first impressions, though I’m bang in the centre of Terazvaros - no idea if that’s the place to be or not.

Szimpla kert is fucking quality. One of the best bars I've ever been to. Go there.

igor_balis
27-02-2020, 05:24 PM

Also I hate swimming and swimming pools, but szechenyi baths are amazing.

Josh
27-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Mazel Tov was a lovely restaurant when I went although that's 4/5 years ago now

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-02-2020, 06:23 PM
I liked the Parliament building and the shoes by the river.

Waffdon
27-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Szimpla kert is fucking quality. One of the best bars I've ever been to. Go there.

Pretty sure I was there a few hours ago. Full of spacers

hfswjyr
28-02-2020, 10:56 AM
Go here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_Park

Shindig
28-02-2020, 09:39 PM
Turns out my bank don't charge for overseas withdrawals. Travel money sorted, then.

Lewis
02-03-2020, 03:08 PM
I have a load of leave to use up before the end of April, so I'm looking at Seville off the back of this thread. Questions: 1) How many days will I need to cover the city itself, bearing in mind that whilst I want to see the relevant bullshit, I won't be wasting hours in pubs/restaurants? 2) Would turning up with clothes and money and expecting to find accommodation be stupid? 3) If not unreasonable, would it be a good idea to just sort flights a week apart and then ponce around the region by train (I can't really be doing with hire cars)? It seems like there are a few interesting places round there, so I might as well take some of them in over a week rather than attempt to return once the migrants have reclaimed it.

Jimmy Floyd
02-03-2020, 03:46 PM
1. Depends on your interests, but a range between 3-5 days with three being 'I have no interest in seeing any old churches/Catholic sites' and 5 being 'Ave Maria, gratia plena'.

2. Not necessarily as long as you miss semana santa

3. As long as you stay in the bigger towns, yes (their trains are surprisingly ok, but coach is also an option).

Jimmy Floyd
02-03-2020, 03:49 PM
I should add to that, regardless of your interest in churches the cathedral is a stone cold must. It's fucking massive, has Christopher Columbus in it, and a brilliant tower with no stairs.

John
02-03-2020, 04:24 PM
The cathederal is unbelievably big. One side is so long it's serviced by two bus stops.

-james-
02-03-2020, 07:01 PM
on 3), The Mezquita in Cordoba is one of the best things I've seen. The city itself is a decent mooch as well.

Shindig
02-03-2020, 07:13 PM
BA's cancelling some transatlantic flights. :uhoh:

Giggles
02-03-2020, 07:20 PM
I’m supposed to book flights for a couple of weeks time to Munich but is there any point?