PDA

View Full Version : November football: MAXIMUM EFFORT

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ian
01-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Last month Bruhnaldo said that I just hadn't put enough work into the OP for the Octoberball thread. As a man of the people and YOUR TTH Super Tournament runner-up I take these matters to heart. If anything, I possibly created the October thread a little too well, but I feel I do have the optimum monthly football thread OP in my locker.

As such, and in the spirit of the brainless modern footballer, I have elected to put in 110% this time. Last month the OP was 88 words, this month: 97! (Had to round up.)

Pleb
01-11-2019, 11:19 AM
The MAGIC of the CUP starts this month doesn't it?

John Arne
01-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Maximum effort??? If so, where is the V.League update? Call yourself a thread starter.

Ian
01-11-2019, 11:24 AM
I ran out of words. Next month I'll write about the V League in the OP.

Requests for 2020 monthly football thread OPs welcome.

SincereTheRebel
01-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Where are this month's fixtures in the opening post? Just the major five leagues will do and European competitions.

Ian
01-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Per my response to Bruhnaldo last month, I haven't done that in the OP since some time in the first half of the year. If you think people can't Google football fixtures themselves then you post them.

EDIT: Actually turns out I haven't done it all year. You all had your chance to complain or beat me to it. This is your life now. Embrace it.

Pepe
01-11-2019, 11:33 AM
100% votes for top, top thread. :drool:

Ian
01-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Pepe respects the effort. Must be an engineer thing, I guess.

thommo
01-11-2019, 11:38 AM
An increase in words of over 10% definitely warrants top thread status.

Jimmy Floyd
01-11-2019, 12:01 PM
I don't know what the haters are expecting. Ian can't control the calendar: months rise up without warning, like beasts from the deep sea. Fixtures are set, whistles are blown, footballs are kicked, and headed (though not for long if Jeff receives his Justice); Ian can't contextualise a thing. All he can do is start threads, start them on time, and put his heart and soul into them. It would be a cold heart who claimed he has ever failed us.

Spikey M
01-11-2019, 12:07 PM
A critique of modern football using Southend Uniteds struggle as a sign of the times. 3000 words plz.

Disco
01-11-2019, 12:12 PM
I want long term booking from you in 2020 Webly, you can be the Gedo of the monthly kickball threads.

Ian
01-11-2019, 12:18 PM
A critique of modern football using Southend Uniteds struggle as a sign of the times. 3000 words plz.

I will not make promises on word count but I'm happy to pencil that in for January.

All the support means a lot, lads. I didn't want to go all Granit Xhaka about it.

Gray Fox
01-11-2019, 12:19 PM
A top, top thread and Stoke have sacked their manager. What a start to the month.

Ian
01-11-2019, 12:24 PM
The BBC article says they might bring back Pulis. What a time to be alive. Get Big Sam back at Bolton too.

thommo
01-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Despite their atrocious start to the season, and now sacking their manager, Stoke still managed to beat us 2-0. Typical Fulham. In fact we've only managed 1 point against the bottom 3 this season. Gave Barnsley their only win of the season on the opening day too.

Pleb
01-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Meanwhile Liverpool with their annual fixture congestion moaning bullshit because they can't fit in a January game of a cup quarter final game that no one really gives a shit about.

I blame the Club World Cup on that one Geoff.

Gray Fox
01-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Even the supposed January date is when the FA Cup kicks in too I believe.

I'd be all for just sending Arsenal through and have done with it.

Jimmy Floyd
01-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Awful precedent if they don't play the game, it has to be played, but I don't see why it can't just be played on the proper date with as understrength a team as necessary. Dig up Ian Rush if you have to.

Ian
01-11-2019, 01:58 PM
If it actually came to withdrawing then that's just stupid. Who did they draw, Villa? Just send the reserves out. If they lose anyway then you've lost nothing. If they go through: fine.

If you care that little then just withdraw at the start of the season.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Last month Bruhnaldo said that I just hadn't put enough work into the OP for the Octoberball thread. As a man of the people and YOUR TTH Super Tournament runner-up I take these matters to heart. If anything, I possibly created the October thread a little too well, but I feel I do have the optimum monthly football thread OP in my locker.

As such, and in the spirit of the brainless modern footballer, I have elected to put in 110% this time. Last month the OP was 88 words, this month: 97! (Had to round up.)
Are you going to ramp the word count up by 10% each month? 2020 will be AMAZING.

Baz
01-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Nothing will top that 5-5 game. I’m still buzzing. :alan:

thommo
01-11-2019, 02:20 PM
I'd be a huge fan of Liverpool being told to play both games on the same day, and then penalised heavily for fielding a weakened team in the League Cup. :drool:

Gray Fox
01-11-2019, 02:34 PM
We've already ruled out sending a reserve side out whilst the first team go to Qatar. I'm assuming because the plan is to mix reserves in over there and use it as a kind of international break.
The EFL are willing to help us fit the game in somewhere, though the EPL aren't keen on moving anything.

I don't see the game not being played, but if we have to send the u18's then what's the point?

Giggles
01-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Bruh can lie in his piss. Top thread.

Ian
01-11-2019, 02:36 PM
If anything I'm thankful that Bruh has inspired me to new levels of peak performance.

Are you going to ramp the word count up by 10% each month? 2020 will be AMAZING.

You want me to try and give more than 110%? Even top, top players can't do that. You've gone quite mad.

Lewis
01-11-2019, 02:58 PM
Start the thread, start the thread Ian Webly
Start the thread, start the thread I say
Start the thread, start the thread Ian Webly
Drinking real ales the old man way

Mike
01-11-2019, 09:02 PM
If anything there has been too much effort in that opening post, I hope your personal life isn’t being effected by the effort needed for your top top 110% work rate.

Shindig
02-11-2019, 08:52 AM
The MAGIC of the CUP starts this month doesn't it?

Gateshead at home to Oldham. So ... y'know, it's a day out. Andy Carroll's available today. I'll give him 45 minutes before something breaks again.

Pleb
02-11-2019, 10:34 AM
We're (Torquay) in the first round for the first time since it feels like an eternality against Maidenstone at their place so I guess that's a decent cup run in the bag.

Shindig
02-11-2019, 11:46 AM
I keep forgetting we're a Conference North side now. 2-3 games in hand over the rest of the league due to postponements. Steve Watson's York are crushing it at the top. Meanwhile Lee Clark's at the arse end of the table with Blyth Spartans.

Ian
02-11-2019, 12:26 PM
If anything there has been too much effort in that opening post, I hope your personal life isn’t being effected by the effort needed for your top top 110% work rate.

Sometimes sacrifices need to be made if you want to be the best.

mo
02-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Meanwhile Lee Clark's at the arse end of the table with Blyth Spartans.

I didn't realise he'd dropped out of League management. A little bit surprised as he got some good jobs, but was always a moaning arsehole so I wish him all the worst.

Trancemeister
02-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Djurgården are champions of Sweden!!!!!!:beer::rave:

Shindig
02-11-2019, 02:04 PM
I didn't realise he'd dropped out of League management. A little bit surprised as he got some good jobs, but was always a moaning arsehole so I wish him all the worst.

I thought he had it cracked at Huddersfield but, since then, he has not managed to find a foothold anywhere. Watson on the other hand made the right choice in leaving Gateshead and has pressed on. Mike Williamson's done decent in assembling a squad for the season and we're not too far out of the picture.

Lewis
02-11-2019, 02:19 PM
What do United do in training all week?

Shindig
02-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Fire Safety and Sensitivity.

Spikey M
02-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Instagram strategy meetings.

Gray Fox
02-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Leaving out Fabinho to be available for City seems like a bold move.

I've not been Lallanas greatest fan, but big chance for him today. I hope it's a more creative midfield though. It's been a while since we put a hatful past someone in a Prem game so today would be a great time to start.

mugbull
02-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Djurgården are champions of Sweden!!!!!!:beer::rave:

Ever since I moved here i’ve gotten in with the Hammarby crowd who seem to have the most hype. The team is fun too. Decent league if i’m honest

Gray Fox
02-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Well this is fucking GREAT.

Shindig
02-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Centre backs and the new centre forwards.

Gray Fox
02-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Absolutely shocking. Henderson and Wijnaldum offering nothing going forward.

Also this game should be 1-1. Firmino was not offside.

phonics
02-11-2019, 03:53 PM
That Mane dive :D

Gray Fox
02-11-2019, 03:56 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/d29233b5ccdf6ad95bddb4ba13619021.png

John Arne
02-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Aye, they added a red line for Firmino that was nowhere near in the correct place.

Gray Fox
02-11-2019, 04:04 PM
I seem to say this every half-time, but this will see what we're made of. This does feel like a defeat in waiting though.

I've forgotten the last time we scored first.

John Arne
02-11-2019, 04:22 PM
How are we top? We are fucking shit. Salah is a mess of a player. Our midfield 3 useless every fucking week.

Yevrah
02-11-2019, 04:24 PM
VAR got an offside wrong?

Hahahahahahaha

Jimmy Floyd
02-11-2019, 04:28 PM
VAR is a proper victory parade for the luddites amongst us at the moment, just as West Ham v Newcastle is a victory parade for the lunch club.

John Arne
02-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Well, we don't deserve that.

Gray Fox
02-11-2019, 05:03 PM
I don't even know how.

Giggles
02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Because you’re fucking jammy cunts.

Gray Fox
02-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Mentality monsters.

Pleb
02-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Someone about BOTTLING IT!!!

Shindig
02-11-2019, 06:08 PM
It feels like the end of the Invincibles season where they were limping home with 1-1s. Christmas is going to be interesting. We've got Bournemouth and Villa next. Decisive.

Jimmy Floyd
02-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Jorginho's pass for our goal is a joke. What a hero he has become.

Reg
02-11-2019, 10:04 PM
I hate VAR. The sport is in danger of losing its greatest quality: the joy/excitement of a goal being scored. Even as a neutral watching Real Madrid v Betis just now, the game is somewhat ruined.

Big win for us today. Next 4 games are really tough.

Yevrah
02-11-2019, 10:14 PM
What % of balls in the net are being checked and how many are being disallowed?

Jimmy Floyd
02-11-2019, 10:20 PM
I don't know but it feels like it's wiping off a hell of a lot more goals than it's allowing. Referees being too cavalier in allowing goals wasn't the problem it was brought in to solve, I don't think.

Yevrah
02-11-2019, 10:30 PM
My issues prior to it being introduced were that it would lead to pauses where you had to wait to celebrate a goal and the refs would become too reliant on it thus exacerbating the first problem.

Is that what's happening?

Yevrah
02-11-2019, 10:37 PM
This also wasn't what the offside rule was brought in to prevent:

An official Premier League tweet read: “Liverpool’s Roberto Firmino was flagged offside before putting the ball in the net against Aston Villa and the decision was confirmed by VAR.

“The red line signifies Firmino and was aligned to his armpit, which was marginally ahead of the last Villa defender.”

Jimmy Floyd
02-11-2019, 10:38 PM
That is the same problem I have with it: even if the final decision is correct, you can't celebrate a goal, and there is literally no reason to watch football other than being able to celebrate a goal.

It has to change and can go down one of two routes, which I would dub the rugby and the cricket route:

The rugby route: the on field referee has to set clear parameters for each referral. E.g. 'Is there any reason that the goal cannot stand', or 'Goal - yes or no'. In rugby they seem not to just default to the latter, easier question which takes all the pressure off them, though in football I fear they might.

The cricket routie: you take all referral power away from the on field referee, and hand it to the teams (probably managers in this case), with a set limit of how many challenges you have - one per half, perhaps.

In either case, the on field referee has to be mic'd up and we have to hear the conversation between him and the VAR referee. If this isn't acceptable to the authorities because players are going to swear into the referee's mic, then the sport should probably no longer be played anyway and that would solve the problem too.

Yevrah
02-11-2019, 10:46 PM
I started to type a long post out to explain how I'd like to see it work, but then I reminded myself while doing so that it'll never work long term in football due to the offside rule.

Boydy
02-11-2019, 10:46 PM
Just get rid of it. Things weren't that bad before.

Jimmy Floyd
02-11-2019, 10:50 PM
I started to type a long post out to explain how I'd like to see it work, but then I reminded myself while doing so that it'll never work long term in football due to the offside rule.

They'll have to change the offside rule to refer only to feet, or wheels I suppose in the disabled game, or bring in the fabled 'daylight' in some way. This stuff where they're drawing lines up from noses/armpits/erections to demarcate the offside line is a farce.

Shindig
02-11-2019, 11:35 PM
Saint-Maximum has a touch of the Sammy Ameobi's about him. Sets off full pelt and then loses control of his legs when it's time to shoot.

EDIT: Time to compare Bruce and Rafa's results:

Rafa (2018 - after 11 league games)

Won: 1 (v Watford) 3/11/18
Drawn: 3 (v Cardiff, Palace, Southampton, all goalless)
Lost: 8 (v Spurs, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Leicester, Man Utd, Brighton)
For: 7
Against: 14
Position: 17th

Top scorer: Joselu (2)

Bruce (2019 - after 11 league games)

Won: 3 (v Spurs, Man Utd, West Ham)
Drawn: 3 (v Brighton, Watford, Wolves)
Lost: 6 (v Arsenal, Norwich, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea)
For: 9
Against: 17
Position: 15th

Top scorer: Shelvey (2)

Rafa would equal Bruce's point's tally after two more games (wins against Bournemouth and Burnley)

phonics
03-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Not sure this Arsenal season could get more depressing but think hiring Jose Mourinho would deffo be the icing on the cake.

phonics
03-11-2019, 12:20 PM
They'll have to change the offside rule to refer only to feet, or wheels I suppose in the disabled game, or bring in the fabled 'daylight' in some way. This stuff where they're drawing lines up from noses/armpits/erections to demarcate the offside line is a farce.

The easiest way to fix it is instead of flagging any playable part of the body as offside, make it so the whole playable body has to be offisde. Like how the ball has to go all the way over the line.

Nobody thinks that a player being offside because he has size 13s and the defender has size 7s is interesting play.

Jimmy Floyd
03-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I was thinking after I posted that that the logic used in the long jump (i.e. you have only jumped as far as the furthest back part of your body) should be used to determine where the attacker is located.

phonics
03-11-2019, 12:29 PM
I saw one guy get flagged who was jogging back onside, facing the opposite way to the defender, and he managed to turn around and still beat the defender to the ball and got flagged off because his ankle was offside. It's a joke.

The rule has been wank for years. This is before VAR even came in.

https://i.redd.it/it0lvccypqgz.jpg

SincereTheRebel
03-11-2019, 01:27 PM
That's offside

Pepe
03-11-2019, 01:31 PM
That was flagged because the linesman thought it was offside, not because an ankle or whatever. What the exact rule is only matters to the incessant analysis of every single thing that happens. During the game the linesman has to basically be able to look at two places at the same time, so the whole thing will always be inexact. Make it full body, part of the body, playing part of the body, whatever, it will always be the same. Except for VAR, which will always make things worse no matter which specific body part is arbitrarily chosen as the limit.

Jimmy Floyd
03-11-2019, 02:35 PM
I was watching a Sunday league game this morning, and someone was given offside (he looked about five yards off to me). The attacking team's goalkeeper, fully 80 yards away and at the worst possible angle, shouted: REF YOU'RE A FUCKING DISGRACE ARE YOU FUCKING BLIND HE WAS MILES ON.

The moral of the story is that football is set up to fail.

Giggles
03-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Wish now that I'd just took the shitty tickets and went to the cup final. There's been many good solid players here over the years but you could put Jack Byrne in most premier league teams and he'd do very well. Gifted and better than he's ever been.

bruhnaldo
03-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Here just copy and paste this Ian

Top European Goalscorers (As of 1 NOV)

1. Robert Lewandowski - Bayern - 13
2. Ciro Immobile - Lazio - 10
3. Jamie Vardy - Leicester - 9
3t. Wissam Ben Yedder - Monaco - 9
4. Sergio Aguero - Man City - 8
4t. Luis Muriel - Atalanta - 8
4t. Tammy Abraham - Chelsea - 8

League Leaders (As of 3 NOV)

https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/DTqIL8Ba3KIuxGkpXw5ayA_48x48.png - https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/0iShHhASp5q1SL4JhtwJiw_48x48.png
https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/5hLkf7KFHhmpaiOJQv8LmA_48x48.png - https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/paYnEE8hcrP96neHRNofhQ_48x48.png
https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/h1FhPLmDg9AHXzhygqvVPg_48x48.png - https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/HFg_gp-vbuL7z1Othoa0ZA_48x48.png
https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/joYpsiaYi4GDCqhSRAq5Zg_48x48.png - https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/Lv6xmBlUIpN3GAFhtf6nqQ_48x48.png
https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/z3JEQB3coEAGLCJBEUzQ2A_48x48.png - https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/mcpMspef1hwHwi9qrfp4YQ_48x48.png

Notable Fixtures
link (https://www.theguardian.com/football/fixtures)to list of all fixtures

3 NOV

Everton v Spurs (Premier League)
AC Milan v Lazio (Serie A)

Rangers v Hearts (Scottish Cup)

5 NOV

Chelsea v Ajax (Champions League)
Dortmund v Inter (Champions League)

6 NOV

Leverkusen v Atletico (Champions League)
Real Madrid v Galatasaray (Champions League)
Guimaraes v Arsenal (Europa League)

7 NOV

Lazio v Celtic (Europa League)
M'gladbach v Roma (Europa League)
Man Utd v Partizan (Europa League)
Rangers v Porto (Europa League)
Wolves v Slovan Bratislava (Europa League)
M'Gladbach v Roma (Europa League)

9 NOV

Chelsea v Palace (Premier League)
Burnley v West Ham (Premier League)
Newcastle v Bournemouth (Premier League)
Spurs v Sheff Utd (Premier League)
Southampton v Everton (Premier League)
Leicester v Arsenal (Premier League)

Bayern v Dortmund (Bundesliga)

10 NOV

Man Utd v Brighton (Premier League)
Wolves v Villa (Premier League)
Liverpool v Man City (Premier League)

Juve v AC Milan (Serie A)

Celtic v Motherwell (Scottish Prem)
Livingston v Rangers (Scottish Prem)

14 NOV

England v Montenegro (Euro 2020)
Brazil v Argentina (Friendly)
Rep of Ireland v New Zealand (Friendly)

16 NOV

Cyprus v Scotland (Euro 2020)
Azerbaijan v Wales (Euro 2020)
Northern Ireland v Netherlands (Euro 2020)

17 NOV

Kosovo v England (Euro 2020)

18 NOV

Gibraltar v Switzerland (Euro 2020)
Rep of Ireland v Denmark (Euro 2020)

18 NOV

Germany v Northern Ireland (Euro 2020)
Wales v Hungary (Euro 2020)

23 NOV

West Ham v Spurs (Premier League)
Bournemouth v Wolves (Premier League)

Arsenal v Southampton (Premier League)
Brighton v Leicester (Premier League)
Palace v Liverpool (Premier League)
Everton v Norwich (Premier League)
Watford v Burnley (Premier League)
Man City v Chelsea (Premier League)

24 NOV

Sheff Utd v Man Utd (Premier League)

Milan v Napoli (Serie A)
Atalanta v Juve (Serie A)
Real Madrid v Real Sociedad

25 NOV

Villa v Newcastle (Premier League)

26 NOV

Juventus v Atletico (Champions League)
Real Madrid v PSG (Champions League)
Spurs v Olympiacos (Champions League)

27 NOV

Valencia v Chelsea (Champions League)
Barcelona v Dortmund (Champions League)
Liverpool v Napoli (Champions League)

28 NOV

Astana v Man Utd (Europa League)
Feyenoord v Rangers (Europa League)
Braga v Wolves (Europa League)
Arsenal v Entracht Frankfurt (Europa League)
Celtic v Rennes (Europa League)
Sporting v PSV (Europa League)

30 NOV

Newcastle v Man City (Premier League)
Burnley v Palace (Premier League)
Chelsea v West Ham (Premier League)
Liverpool v Brighton (Premier League)
Spurs v Bournemouth (Premier League)
Southampton v Watford (Premier League)

Bayern v Leverkusen (Bundesliga)

Monaco v PSG (Ligue 1)

bruhnaldo
03-11-2019, 03:12 PM
Finally had the chance to watch Utd at home considering we've been pushed to Sunday or Monday I feel almost like every week this season and low and behold we drop yet another stinker ffs.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Webly > Bruh.

John
03-11-2019, 04:15 PM
If you're going to include the SPL in the notable games portion Bruh, which you probably shouldn't, you should be including it in the goalscorers portion too. Defoe has ten league goals so far, and both Edouard and Morelos are on eight.

Gray Fox
03-11-2019, 04:16 PM
Look at him coming in and trying to hijack this top, top thread.

Waffdon
03-11-2019, 04:33 PM
If you're going to include the SPL in the notable games portion Bruh, which you probably shouldn't, you should be including it in the goalscorers portion too. Defoe has ten league goals so far, and both Edouard and Morelos are on eight.

One £20m player and one £10m player.

John
03-11-2019, 04:40 PM
One £20m player and one £10m player.

Thirty and twenty, probably, and the difference is purely down to the respective bank balances of the two clubs.

When Morelos leaves we'll have Shankland off your lot for 2% of the fee anyway.

Max Power
03-11-2019, 05:01 PM
We are a very good football team. Vardy is a transcendent icon.

mugbull
03-11-2019, 05:06 PM
Eriksen going down the Mesut Ozil career path

John Arne
03-11-2019, 05:34 PM
This is something that I noticed yesterday, and its a crying shame that it has taken Andy Fucking Gray to point it out.

Gray Fox
03-11-2019, 05:44 PM
It's because they can't say it was Martin Atkinsons fault, because he's fucking shite.

John Arne
03-11-2019, 05:46 PM
If Richarlison spent half as much energy on holding the ball up than he does throwing himself on the floor - he'd be a decent player.

Lewis
03-11-2019, 05:47 PM
lol at him saying 'we're disallowing goals' like he's still part of the Best League in the World.

Waffdon
03-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Thirty and twenty, probably, and the difference is purely down to the respective bank balances of the two clubs.

When Morelos leaves we'll have Shankland off your lot for 2% of the fee anyway.

Edouard is a far better player, don’t be daft.

mugbull
03-11-2019, 06:01 PM
This VAR check is taking fucking ages. Just give it or don't, there's no right answer

Gray Fox
03-11-2019, 06:11 PM
That looks a broken leg.

Waffdon
03-11-2019, 06:11 PM
How on earth has he given a red card to Son for that. He was away to give him a yellow until he seen his leg hanging off

John Arne
03-11-2019, 06:12 PM
All the players showing genuine concern for the player, and Digne is running and shouting at the ref to get Son sent off. Stay classy, Digne.

John Arne
03-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Anyone long on added minutes?

mugbull
03-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Should be about 15 but it'll only be 6 or 7

John Arne
03-11-2019, 06:18 PM
I'll go with 9.

Giggles
03-11-2019, 06:19 PM
Pennos :cool:

John Arne
03-11-2019, 06:21 PM
Was gonna say 12, but bottled it.

Giggles
03-11-2019, 06:25 PM
Easy for Rovers in the shootout. Sickening seeing Mannus the filthy hun as the hero.

John Arne
03-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Ballotelli racially abused at Verona. When he attempted to walk off the pitch, rather than his teammates supporting him, they just pleaded for him to carry on playing (and presumable ignore it). How depressing..

Spikey M
03-11-2019, 06:45 PM
That Gomez leg break is horrific, but how the hell has Son been sent off for an innocuous challenge when it was Aurier flying in and Gomez's own momentum that did the damage?

bruhnaldo
03-11-2019, 07:22 PM

I just tried to include clubs which were supported by folks on the website.

The top scorers was based on the top 5 leagues which were then listed under showing who lead each league at the time.

Look at him coming in and trying to hijack this top, top thread.

Yea you know me, always trying to enhance everyone's experience for some odd reason.

SincereTheRebel
03-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Ballotelli racially abused at Verona. When he attempted to walk off the pitch, rather than his teammates supporting him, they just pleaded for him to carry on playing (and presumable ignore it). How depressing.

Its really is hilarious. Why they all don't hold hands, cry and walk off the field l, I don't know.

Trancemeister
03-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Niko Kovac sacked at Bayern.

mugbull
03-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Eriksen needs to fuck off to Inter Milan on a free already. He's absolute dogshit. An appalling game

John
03-11-2019, 11:41 PM
Edouard is a far better player, don’t be daft.

Edouard is a better all round player, but Morelos is a better striker. When he moves on I suspect Edouard will find his best football comes as a number ten, while Morelos is as pure a nine as you'll see. Taking two far superior players as a shorthand, Edouard is Cantona to Morelos' Shearer.

John Arne
04-11-2019, 01:29 PM
Anyone else watching the AFC Cup Final?
4.25 goalkeeper An Tae-song just sent off in just 26th minute. Al Ahed (Hezbollah funded team) now clear favourites. Still 0-0.
Choe Chol-su makes way for 4.25 sub keeper Sin Tae-song.

SincereTheRebel
04-11-2019, 01:37 PM
Im guessing as its Asia, 4.25 is the goalkeeper's height in feet.

John Arne
04-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Im guessing as its Asia, 4.25 is the goalkeeper's height in feet.

That's the North Korean Army team you're mocking. Watch your back.

Livestream

https://youtu.be/7gcB1DDiOFI

Reg
04-11-2019, 01:52 PM
My issues prior to it being introduced were that it would lead to pauses where you had to wait to celebrate a goal and the refs would become too reliant on it thus exacerbating the first problem.

Is that what's happening?
That's in danger of becoming the default reaction. If you lose the power of goals football is ruined.

Its really is hilarious. Why they all don't hold hands, cry and walk off the field l, I don't know.
You don't think players should walk off? Why not?

SincereTheRebel
04-11-2019, 02:21 PM
No they should walk off. Its sounds easy but I don't think none of the players been targeted gives a fuck.

niko_cee
04-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Was at Brighton at the weekend and the joy of the goal has well and truly gone, as with the finger going up for lbw in cricket. Small celebration, then a subsequent ironic cheer when the goal is allowed to stand. :thbdn:

Never a game without a 'u wot m8' red card check as well.

Kikó
04-11-2019, 07:28 PM
It's complete bollocks and fuck the cunts who implemented it.

Yevrah
04-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Is it being this well received wherever else it's been introduced?

What I'm also struggling to get my head around is why? It wasn't as if things were that broken in the first place and it was bloody obvious that football as a fast moving sport didn't lend itself well to video refereeing.

Since binning off my Sky subscription I don't actually watch much football these days, but it sounds like a good time to have ducked out. I feel for those of you that are emotionally invested in a club team and almost have to carry on as a result.

Jimmy Floyd
04-11-2019, 08:50 PM
I don't remember it being as shit as this in the World Cup. Maybe we need to chuck Andre Marriner out of the booth and put Bakary Gassama in there.

Yevrah
04-11-2019, 08:56 PM
I meant leagues more than international football,which I do still watch.

World Cup wasn't that bad, I'd agree.

phonics
04-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Stannerz park should be no influence outside of a glorified video feed provider. If the referee feels his first instinct on an issue is inconclusive or has doubts, he can go to the monitor and review, asking the 4th official for input if needed. Otherwise the referees decision is final outside of:

2 challenges per half for each manager.
The manager has to state the infraction he's appealing.
An appeal obliges the ref to check the monitors for that infraction.
If the ref deems the appeal frivolous you lose your challenge, if you have no remaining challenges in that situation you get a yellow card.

It's so, so, so simple and they've absolutely cocked it up because everyone tasked with implementing it are 60+ and the ones building the system are nerds from Hawkeye who thinks you can apply tennis in/out and lbw to football.

Kikó
04-11-2019, 09:49 PM
What's an even worse idea?

1191461299835850756?s=19

Oh that's it.

phonics
04-11-2019, 10:03 PM
However, the Premier League will strongly argue against it – claiming it will lead to time-wasting and tactical appeals by managers to break up play and run down the clock.

I don't understand this argument, instead of tactical time-wasting 3 times a game we just have said 'tactical taboo' applied to literally every break in play?

Lewis
04-11-2019, 10:08 PM
VAR is good and it gets most things right.

Kikó
04-11-2019, 10:18 PM
You aren't a match going fan.

Lewis
04-11-2019, 10:24 PM
If you watched United lose a final to an offside goal would you console yourself that at least the opposition fans got to celebrate in real time?

Kikó
04-11-2019, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't care. The whole game is based around the thrill of a goal not that every decision has to be right every single time.

Offshore Toon
04-11-2019, 10:33 PM
Anybody who becomes overly animated when a goal is scored is a loser anyway. The enjoyment of a goal doesn't fade after ten seconds, and ultimately the glory of winning is far better anyway. Any MATCH GOING adult should realise that there's far more to the game than celebrating goals.

Kikó
04-11-2019, 10:35 PM
No you're right. Sitting there waiting for some bloke to check a video screen for 3-4 minutes is absolutely brilliant.

Offshore Toon
04-11-2019, 10:42 PM
No you're right. Sitting there waiting for some bloke to check a video screen for 3-4 minutes is absolutely brilliant.
I've had some brilliant moments stolen from me by dodgy refereeing, so I don't see how VAR is suddenly making everything shit. It was already shit. But tbf you've had Roy Carroll throwing balls out of the goal and getting away with it so I can see why you don't want VAR.

Ultimately, we should aim for a system that's totally fair.

SincereTheRebel
04-11-2019, 10:44 PM
I don't understand this argument, instead of tactical time-wasting 3 times a game we just have said 'tactical taboo' applied to literally every break in play?

Give the players power like in tennis. They get 2 a game or something?

They rrslly need to be stopping the clock when the ball is out of play or there is a foul. Cut the clock from 90 minutes to 45-60.

phonics
04-11-2019, 11:09 PM
Give the players power like in tennis. They get 2 a game or something?

They rrslly need to be stopping the clock when the ball is out of play or there is a foul. Cut the clock from 90 minutes to 45-60.

The game would last 3 hours and you'd change the game into some weird form of rugby based around clock management.

SincereTheRebel
04-11-2019, 11:13 PM
Thats why you cut the game in half and stop the time when the game isnt actually played.

Edit: ball is in play for half the time anyway.

https://talksport.com/football/315919/average-ball-play-time-each-premier-league-side-201718-season-171127263506/

phonics
04-11-2019, 11:17 PM
Yes but football isn't a game of clock management now. You'd have tactics based around punting it out for throw-ins and shite. It'd be rubbish.

Want to speed the game up? Stop taking 20 seconds for throwins, a minute for goal kicks and 2 minutes for any free kick within 40 yards.

Jimmy Floyd
05-11-2019, 06:59 AM
Goal kicks should definitely have a countdown clock if the multiball system is being used. Goalkeepers (other than when their team is losing towards the end) take so, so long. Go above 20 seconds and it's an automatic yellow.

thommo
05-11-2019, 09:23 AM
To be honest, I'd argue it (VAR) still wasn't all that great at the World Cup, albeit better than the iteration we see now in the Prem. I can think of a number of pretty contentious decisions throughout the tournament, and a few of those being fairly integral to final results and qualification.

Yevrah
05-11-2019, 09:30 AM
The way that it should have worked was four blokes sit in a room watching the game and if any two of them spot something that looks obviously wrong and is fundamental to the potential outcome of the game all four get one minute to look at it and if all four agree then the decision by the ref is overturned.

The problem then comes however that if the refereeing team know this then over time they're going to rely on it more and more knowing that if they do let a clanger go it'll be picked up, whereas if they don't and they get it wrong they can't rewind time to change that. Which is why it fundamentally doesn't really work and is only going to get worse.

That we have things like the Man City vs. Spurs CL goal being disallowed and Firmino's armpit being offside, was a consequence I hadn't even countenanced.

Kikó
05-11-2019, 10:11 AM
I've had some brilliant moments stolen from me by dodgy refereeing, so I don't see how VAR is suddenly making everything shit. It was already shit. But tbf you've had Roy Carroll throwing balls out of the goal and getting away with it so I can see why you don't want VAR.

Ultimately, we should aim for a system that's totally fair.

The game was and has been absolutely fine. This is all to make sure the BIG MONEY DECISIONS are correct. Don't think it has anything to do with you, the fan.

I would be fine with VAR if it was just on things that are obvious / needs one quick replay. But back and forth on questionable handballs or inconclusive offsides is not for the benefit of the match going fan.

SvN
05-11-2019, 10:16 AM
I don't object to VAR, but the current implementation is just not good enough. As others have said, the 2-3 minutes of frame by frame checking to see if someone's kneecap was offside is just not on.

Offshore Toon
05-11-2019, 03:11 PM
The game was and has been absolutely fine. This is all to make sure the BIG MONEY DECISIONS are correct. Don't think it has anything to do with you, the fan.

I would be fine with VAR if it was just on things that are obvious / needs one quick replay. But back and forth on questionable handballs or inconclusive offsides is not for the benefit of the match going fan.
Surely the BIG MONEY DECISIONS in matches are just the most important decisions, which would also benefit the fan?

Ian
05-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Benefits to the fans that don't help anybody's bottom line aren't the sort of benefits they're interested in.

Kikó
05-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Going to the match to enjoy it with your friends and watching your team is why you go. Not whether McTominnay's walloper is offside or not.

Lewis
05-11-2019, 03:43 PM
If results are irrelevant how is any team 'your team'?

Kikó
05-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Results aren't irrelevant but the enjoyment of the occasion isn't dominated by every decision being 100% right to the detriment of the actual sport. Added to that, the football team you bond with usually has some kind of family or location based attachment which then becomes important to you for that reason.

Yevrah
05-11-2019, 03:55 PM
I don't even think it just affects match going fans. Waiting 3 minutes for someone to go through a replay, frame by frame, before you can celebrate, is shit no matter how you're watching.

It should have been left to blatant stuff (Maradona's handball, Lampard's ghost goal, etc.) and everything else left as it was.

Ian
05-11-2019, 04:05 PM
Well don't the rules or guidelines say it's to undo "clear and obvious" mistakes?

Which should mean that if you haven't worked out without doing it frame by frame that there's an error then it wasn't clear and obvious and you move on.

Yevrah
05-11-2019, 05:25 PM
I thought they did, but seemingly they're also trying to cure cancer.

Ian
05-11-2019, 05:49 PM
I've barely watched any football this year but it sounds like it's been bizarrely bipolar as well. Either refusing to change anything or reviewing EVERYTHING.

Ian
05-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Unnecessary wrestling chat because I am eedjit.

Gray Fox
05-11-2019, 06:22 PM
But can Rollins do it on a cold Wednesday night in Stoke?

Ian
05-11-2019, 06:25 PM
I've left that there so it's clear the foolish thing you're responding to.

And is it Wednesdays now? I thought rainy Tuesdays were the true test.

Foe
05-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Just make them do the var replays in real time, without adding any lines or whatnot. If it’s clear and obvious they should be able to overturn it. If they have to get a digital ruler out that’s not clear and obvious and leave it be.

You’ll get a “perfect” solution if you use all the technology, the rule book interpreted in finest detail and many minutes to review. That’s not the point I don’t think. Unless it’s obviously wrong, the referee is the referee.

John Arne
05-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Ousmane Dembele truly is a terrible player. Barca spunking €105(+40) million on him has to be one of the worst pieces of transfer business ever.

SvN
05-11-2019, 07:12 PM
Just make them do the var replays in real time, without adding any lines or whatnot. If it’s clear and obvious they should be able to overturn it. If they have to get a digital ruler out that’s not clear and obvious and leave it be.

I agree with this entirely. If you need a ruler and slow motion, it's not obvious. It seems like a really sensible and obvious solution, so it will never happen

randomlegend
05-11-2019, 08:07 PM
1191719261489844227?s=21

:lol:

Jimmy Floyd
05-11-2019, 08:11 PM
More or less sums up race in Italy (and Spain, and other countries which haven't had the postcolonial experience we have had). They have a vague inkling that racism is a problem, but they have absolutely not a scooby what it is or how it works.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2019, 08:21 PM
Quincy :cool:

John Arne
05-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Liverpool's Carabao Cup fixture confirmed....

18/12 - Aston Villa (away)
19/12 - TBC World Club Cup (Qatar)

Milner to star in both games.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2019, 08:34 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50309446

Xhaka no longer captain.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Ziyech :drool:

Woof.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2019, 08:42 PM
What's Samatta with Liverpool?

Kikó
05-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Liverpool's Carabao Cup fixture confirmed....

18/12 - Aston Villa (away)
19/12 - TBC World Club Cup (Qatar)

Milner to star in both games.

If they go through :shakesfist:

Waffdon
05-11-2019, 08:57 PM
Chelsea’s home form is proper shite. Two wins all season I think.

Jimmy Floyd
05-11-2019, 09:03 PM
First Tanzanian to score at Anfield I would have thought.

Being shite at home is a small price to pay for being gods of the road.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2019, 09:21 PM
I thought 'Dave' was just offside.

Jimmy Floyd
05-11-2019, 09:26 PM
If we get anything out of this Ajax should be closed down.

niko_cee
05-11-2019, 09:27 PM
The same Ajax that managed to biff a 3 goal advantage in a half against the spuds.

Sounds a mental game.

Jimmy Floyd
05-11-2019, 09:29 PM
We should win by at least three now. Should get six, seven eight easily. No one can play with nine.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2019, 09:31 PM
That was for Waff.

Raoul Duke
05-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Dortmund :cool:

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2019, 09:42 PM
What a strike by Kondogbia.

John Arne
05-11-2019, 09:43 PM
The Genk manager looks like Taika Waititi.

Jimmy Floyd
05-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Should have pissed this, and would have done if Abraham could head. Oh well, at least we've salvaged the head to head on them.

Waffdon
05-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Reece James should start every game. What a bloke.

Waffdon
06-11-2019, 08:34 PM
That new angle of Kolasanic scaring off them two blokes at knife point is mental. Stands there ice cool whilst being jabbed in the arm with a knife.

bruhnaldo
06-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Lol man just stands there like "Are you done? now? now? aw fuck it" and goes after them lol

Giggles
06-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Only turned it on but why are they bringing on Walker? If they have a sub left then why not bring on the sub keeper?

Sir Andy Mahowry
06-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Only turned it on but why are they bringing on Walker? If they have a sub left then why not bring on the sub keeper?

They don't have one. Bravo was on the bench but came on at half time.

Giggles
06-11-2019, 09:47 PM
That's some shite luck then.

Sir Andy Mahowry
06-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Cracker in Zagreb:

L. Ivanušec 83' (assist by B. Petković) 2 - 1
A. Ademi 89' (assist by Daniel Olmo) 3 - 1
3 - 2 90'+3 Júnior Moraes (assist by V. Kovalenko)
3 - 3 90'+8 Mateus Martins (PG)

mo
06-11-2019, 10:05 PM
Probably my favourite thing in football is seeing an outfield player in goal. A novelty that has never worn off.

Sir Andy Mahowry
06-11-2019, 10:09 PM
Probably my favourite thing in football is seeing an outfield player in goal. A novelty that has never worn off.
I switched it on when I heard Walker went in goal.

Giggles
06-11-2019, 10:13 PM
I switched it on when I heard Walker went in goal.

Same as that. Wouldn't have seen a second of it otherwise.

phonics
07-11-2019, 12:33 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIur8TqW4AAfV84.jpg

Convincing argument, how are you expected to win in those sort of conditions?

Shindig
07-11-2019, 06:41 AM
I think he's just showing Xhaka how to dig at your own support.

Ian
07-11-2019, 08:42 AM
You know your team is in bad nick when the opposition have beaten you giving a piffling 100%.

Waffdon
07-11-2019, 09:17 AM
The most entertaining Derby in the world tomorrow, troops. Strap in.

Ian
07-11-2019, 09:23 AM
I like the latest "We're not racist, mates!" line from Italy, this time from the Verona chairman saying their fans aren't racist but they are sarcastic.

Sarcastic monkey chants.

John Arne
07-11-2019, 09:41 AM
I like the latest "We're not racist, mates!" line from Italy, this time from the Verona chairman saying their fans aren't racist but they are sarcastic.

Sarcastic monkey chants.

Apparently the day after the game 4 councillors from Verona sent a letter to the club asking the act strongly to fight this terrible defamation against the club and the city, and giving them their support.
The Verona manager and owner also both denied that it happened when asked after the game.

Then Ballotelli released the video. It all went quiet.

Ian
07-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Yeah, the Verona manager didn't even say he hadn't heard anything, just full on IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

John Arne
07-11-2019, 05:16 PM
What a fucking strike...

Giggles
07-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Surely Michael O'Neill could have held out for a better job than that.

Giggles
07-11-2019, 05:56 PM
How does Shane Long get chopped from the provisional squad when Scott Hogan remains?

No idea who Lee O'Connor is.

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Kieran O’Hara (Burton Albion, on loan from Manchester United), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth).

Defenders: Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion), Kevin Long (Burnley), John Egan (Sheffield United), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Lee O'Connor (Celtic).

Midfielders: Alan Browne (Preston North End), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic, on loan from West Ham United), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), Glenn Whelan (Heart of Midlothian), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), James McClean (Stoke City), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers), Robbie Brady (Burnley)

Forwards: Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town), Scott Hogan (Stoke City, on loan from Aston Villa), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Alan Judge (Ipswich Town)

Disco
07-11-2019, 06:06 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50333081

Blimey.

Giggles
07-11-2019, 06:14 PM
I didn't even know he was dead.

Ian
07-11-2019, 06:27 PM
I knew he was dead but would have said it was much more recently than that. Fucking hell.

Waffdon
07-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Come on you bhoys in Green. What a result

Waffdon
07-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Chris Sutton topped Neville’s orgasm sound at that winner. What a bloke

randomlegend
07-11-2019, 08:35 PM
Martial :cool:

Mourinho is such a retard for how he treated him.

SvN
07-11-2019, 08:44 PM
We should have about 5 already. Rashford really cannot finish to save his life.

randomlegend
07-11-2019, 08:50 PM
We should have about 5 already. Rashford really cannot finish to save his life.

Yeah, it's a shame. Greenwood will be the better player.

SvN
07-11-2019, 09:03 PM
He's played really well, too. Completely ripped them apart. Yet he's missed everything.

randomlegend
07-11-2019, 09:08 PM
He's played really well, too. Completely ripped them apart. Yet he's missed everything.

Then he does that; brilliant finish.

Lewis
They've wisely chosen to drop off him and let him over-think everything.

SvN
What a ridiculous dickhead.

Lewis
07-11-2019, 09:09 PM
There you go. No chance to think about it. Just lamps it. Goal.

Lewis
07-11-2019, 09:11 PM
Why isn't Greenwood on free-kicks? Doesn't he score them with both feet for a laugh?

randomlegend
07-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Why isn't Greenwood on free-kicks? Doesn't he score them with both feet for a laugh?

Yeah. Apparently he even takes penalties with whichever foot he's feeling that day.

Lewis
07-11-2019, 09:19 PM
Cocky little prick. I'd sell him.

niko_cee
07-11-2019, 10:17 PM
The state of that Celtic group table. How shit are Lazio?

SincereTheRebel
07-11-2019, 10:43 PM
Stupid defender got in his way

1192564097499443202?s=19

Waffdon
07-11-2019, 10:47 PM
The state of that Celtic group table. How shit are Lazio?

Not exactly terrible. Ahead of Napoli and Atalanta in the league who are both in the Champions League. Both Celtic and Rangers have very decent teams this year.

Pretty sure Scotland will get back to two CL spots next year if either team gets a win or two.

-james-
07-11-2019, 11:13 PM
Rangers comfortably batting Porto away is definitely the more :cab: result of the night.

Jimmy Floyd
07-11-2019, 11:26 PM
I realised a long time ago that trying to make sense of the Europa League group stage is a fool's errand. It's pretty much a random results generating system.

phonics
08-11-2019, 02:34 AM
Stupid defender got in his way

1192564097499443202?s=19

If that is a red as the tweet suggests it should be we're no longer playing football.

I realised a long time ago that trying to make sense of the Europa League group stage is a fool's errand. It's pretty much a random results generating system.

It's really not, the club with more money than the other goes through. You'll have the occasional result where an underated team like Eintracht upset someone but it's really very predictable.

niko_cee
08-11-2019, 07:58 AM
Looking at how Roma were faring too I assumed the Italians were stuck somewhere akin to where we were 5 years ago when nobody cared and it affected performance. We seem to have pushed through that by way of just having much more money/better squads than everyone else. Presumably the lure of the Champions League (probably United and Arsenal's most feasible route into it next season) has in part led to this.

Jimmy Floyd
08-11-2019, 07:00 PM
Dulwich v Carlisle on BBC tonight, if you want to see the most hipster club that these isles have to offer.

Giggles
08-11-2019, 07:29 PM
I seen that earlier when I was looking on BBC to see if they were showing this Ireland-Northern Ireland super cup thing. Is it FA Cup first round?

Jimmy Floyd
08-11-2019, 07:31 PM
Yep. It's a proper little ground, to be fair to it. Saaaaf London represent.

Giggles
08-11-2019, 07:35 PM
I was going to get a Now TV week pass for the other thing and the NFL Sunday but the cunts make you get two subs to get Sky Sports and Premier Sports, so Dulwich it is.

mo
08-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Surely Forest Green with all their vegan shit qualify as 'most hipster'. In the Football League, perhaps.

niko_cee
08-11-2019, 08:19 PM
What level are Dulwich Hamlet? I'm pretty sure we (Guernsey) were playing in the same league as them fairly recently.

No FA Cup dreams allowed here. :(

Manc
08-11-2019, 08:35 PM
Are Dulwich our St. Pauli?

Jimmy Floyd
08-11-2019, 08:57 PM
Yes, albeit much smaller, and full of south London geezers.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-11-2019, 09:41 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50346235

Heh.

Lewis
08-11-2019, 09:49 PM
I saw Jamie Carragher quoted as saying City and Liverpool 'can't stand each other' earlier, which I'm guessing Sky put him up to as part of his continuing probation.

SincereTheRebel
08-11-2019, 10:10 PM
How Carragher still has a job considering he likes to spit on underage girls, I don't know.

igor_balis
08-11-2019, 10:25 PM
I largely enjoy neville and carragher as a punditry duo, but the thing that always annoys me is when Carragher is clearly right about something and Neville is talking shite, but Carra just doesn't have the tools to put him in his place. Feels like Neville is borderline trolling at times, and Carragher just ends up getting so frustrated by how wrong Neville is that he can't do anything but angrily splutter.

niko_cee
08-11-2019, 10:27 PM
I saw Jamie Carragher quoted as saying City and Liverpool 'can't stand each other' earlier, which I'm guessing Sky put him up to as part of his continuing probation.

They had Gary cutting a promo for the fucking KSI fight, didn't they?

:face:

Norwich are so bad I think I feel sorry for them.

igor_balis
08-11-2019, 10:27 PM
I think it mostly annoys me because it reminds me of being 14 and my mates deliberately saying stupid shit to get a reaction out of me, and i never fucking learned.

Lewis
08-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Gary Neville falls to bits when he starts straying away from what's on the screen in front of him, and Carragher probably calls him a fanny and all sorts off camera for it, but when they're live he has to keep a lid on it.

John Arne
09-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Asian Champions League Final 1st leg kicks off at 1630.

Al Hilal v Urawa Red Diamonds.

Waffdon
09-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Reece James starting a Premier League game. You love to see it

Jimmy Floyd
09-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Christian Pulisic consistently outstanding game after game after game now. Suck it, doubters.

-james-
09-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Chelsea are absolutely brilliant.

Jimmy Floyd
09-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Best thing in this game was Mike Dean doing a flourishing sarcastic VAR check signal. We need to clone him so he can never retire.

Waffdon
09-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Wait until Loftus Cheek replaces Mount and Rudiger for Zouma - who has improved to be fair.

Jimmy Floyd
09-11-2019, 02:27 PM
Loftus Cheek is a dead duck. He will have constant 9 month injuries until he retires, his back doesn't work.

It's hard to pinpoint one thing that has made us so much better but I would say the manager needs an awful lot of credit.

Waffdon
09-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Them three months he’s fit though :drool:

I doubt even prime Kaka would replace Mount if we’re being honest so it probably doesn’t even matter.

Gray Fox
09-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Lampard deserves far more credit than he's getting thus far.

Jimmy Floyd
09-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Mount has done a pretty peachy job given he is 12 and has the physique to match. Tomori has been a massive bonus as well, future captain.

The thing with Lampard is he is the opposite of our old mate Maurizio in that when faced with a decision, he will always go with the bolder option and it has paid off for him massively. You will have the odd game like Man U which doesn't go right but so be it.

Giggles
09-11-2019, 02:32 PM
If you lined up every British footballer under 25, Waff would break his cock off trying to do them all.

Lewis
09-11-2019, 02:39 PM

We need to rein this stuff in now.

Gray Fox
09-11-2019, 02:43 PM
The thing with Lampard is he is the opposite of our old mate Maurizio in that when faced with a decision, he will always go with the bolder option and it has paid off for him massively. You will have the odd game like Man U which doesn't go right but so be it.

He's also both respected, due to being a fantastic player and is also a likeable guy, which Chelsea have been missing since Rafa. They're instantly more likeable and playing good football.

And that's saying something considering the club double dipped on the stench that is Mourinho and what he brings.

Shindig
09-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Expectations and pressures must've lowered when the transfer ban hit, though. A lot of fringe players have perked up, given the chance and the squad seems pretty happy.

Jimmy Floyd
09-11-2019, 02:59 PM

We need to rein this stuff in now.

I noticed on the park railings near my flat this morning the council has installed six giant poppies, towering over everything on the pavement below. My immediate thought was why only six? You could have fitted thirty in if you'd wanted.

Lewis
09-11-2019, 03:02 PM
I saw a bus rolling with a massive one the other day, yet on the actual naval base they don't seem to have bothered with any of it. I think that that's quite revealing.

Byron
09-11-2019, 03:38 PM
I saw a bus rolling with a massive one the other day, yet on the actual naval base they don't seem to have bothered with any of it. I think that that's quite revealing.

It's almost as if veterans find this kind of mawkish outpuring a bit embarassing. My old man served in the navy and he would rather there was far less of this shit.

mugbull
09-11-2019, 04:21 PM
If they disallow this...lol...

Trancemeister
09-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Sheffield player looks to be offside by a toe nail.

phonics
09-11-2019, 04:23 PM
It must be awful to be a West Ham fan.

Waffdon
If you lined up every British footballer under 25, Waff would break his cock off trying to do them all.

Anyone Ive ever slagged or topped up has turned out to be correct. Respect the youth.

mugbull
Jesus Christ. The English really are the worst at this, VAR is nowhere as bad anywhere else

John Arne
09-11-2019, 04:40 PM
VAR is awful. Regardless of whether the decision is right - it has destroyed the spontaneity and fun of football. Sheff Utd just scored a late equalizer and nobody could celebrate or cheer, pending awaiting fucking VAR.