PDA

View Full Version : The next England Manager, who should it be?

Yevrah
09-10-2015, 07:31 PM
So when Hodgson inevitably ballses up Euro 2016 in 9 months time, we're going to need a new manager. Who should it be?

To refresh your memory of who's actually English and a manager these days, I've added a poll with the top 9 most likely according to SkyBet. Be warned though, there are some forriners in there as well.

Byron
09-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Big Sam would be brilliant.

-james-
09-10-2015, 07:36 PM
All of those bar Allardyde or Mourinho sound awful.

Yevrah
I'd go with him as well. He's probably earned it too.

Fucking lol at Gary Neville being 7/1 joint favourite.

Waffdon
Stuart Baxter

Pepe
09-10-2015, 07:38 PM
I'll vote Moyes but Klopp is the real option.

Yevrah
09-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Further down the list Phil Neville's available at 33/1, which presumably is inflated by him having been an arse man at Valencia for three months, but tells you all you need to know about the paucity of options.

Lee
09-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Allardyce would be a laugh which is pretty much all I expect to get from England these days.

But if I had some real responsibility and wanted to do something about the way we play (and coach through the whole system) then I wouldn't look beyond Garry Monk. Good manager and if he were managing in either Spain, Italy or Germany and was a native of one of those countries I suspect he would be managing a bigger club than whatever their equivalent of Swansea is. It's too early for Howe but he has potential.

We have a problem in England with producing good coaches although I'm not convimced that, even if we did, we'd see the, considered for the top jobs. It all comes back to the need for instant results which is fuelled by money, ultimately.

I don't want a foreign coach. I've said it before; it's cheating. We can't chuck money at Messi so why should we be allowed to chuck money at Guardiola? Which is exactly what we're going to attempt.

Reg
09-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Big Samuele.

Mourinho if he was a realistic choice. I dislike him but the chances of seeing us win something in my lifetime would rocket up.

Yevrah
09-10-2015, 07:47 PM
I've come round to your way of thinking on that Lee, it really shouldn't be a foreign coach managing England.

That said, watching Guardiola trying to get our rabble playing like his Bayern side do and his Barca side did would be akin to rubbernecking a school trip bus crash with no survivors, so may have some merit.

Lee
09-10-2015, 07:52 PM
We're not that shit. If Monk can get a team full of Swansea players knocking it around nicely and winning some matches then somebody could do it with England's players. We aren't winning anything any time soon but we could always play with a bit of intelligence and look pretty doing so.

Toby
09-10-2015, 08:00 PM
We're not that shit. If Monk can get a team full of Swansea players knocking it around nicely and winning some matches then somebody could do it with England's players. We aren't winning anything any time soon but we could always play with a bit of intelligence and look pretty doing so.

Can they though? That sort of thing can certainly get instilled at club level, but how many players are plodding around for their clubs and tiki-takaing it up internationally? Spain got away with it because half of their team was Barcelona players, and Germany play in a similar way to Bayern and Dortmund. I don't think an international manager really gets enough time with the players to build that sort of philosophy into how they play.

Reg
09-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Everyone was laughing at van Gaal and his 'philosophy', but the word seems cemented into the British football vocabulary now.

Lee
09-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Can they though? That sort of thing can certainly get instilled at club level, but how many players are plodding around for their clubs and tiki-takaing it up internationally? Spain got away with it because half of their team was Barcelona players, and Germany play in a similar way to Bayern and Dortmund. I don't think an international manager really gets enough time with the players to build that sort of philosophy into how they play.

It's basics though, isn't it?

"Lads, don't just smack the ball fifty yards for the quick black lad to chase, yeah?"

Well, fat white lad as it stands.

Teams with players who don't play together every week have played nice football before.

Toby
09-10-2015, 08:11 PM
It's basics though, isn't it?

"Lads, don't just smack the ball fifty yards for the quick black lad to chase, yeah?"

Well, fat white lad as it stands.

Teams with players who don't play together every week have played nice football before.

If it was basic everybody would be better at it already. It takes more than just asking people to do it, the teams that do it particularly well are training for it every week.

Toby
09-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Everyone was laughing at van Gaal and his 'philosophy', but the word seems cemented into the British football vocabulary now.

What kind of timeline are you working to here? :cab:

Yevrah
09-10-2015, 08:14 PM
I've just watched Ross Barkley run into blind alleys twice in 5 minutes, in moves Gerrard would have been proud of.

Good luck with that one 'Pep.

Lewis
09-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Ross Barkley is a wanker.

Lee
09-10-2015, 08:17 PM
If it was basic everybody would be better at it already. It takes more than just asking people to do it, the teams that do it particularly well are training for it every week.

A lot of teams are doing it. Fucking Estonia are passing the ball better than us at times. I'm not talking about us winning things. There are only two trophies to compete for every four years and other countries would quite like to win them too. Not contracting lower limb onset Motor Neuron Disease every time they pull on an England shirt would be a start.

Yevrah
09-10-2015, 08:19 PM
You don't need to keep reiterating that you're not talking about us winning things Lee - no one is talking about us winning things.

Hell, at this juncture and after the shambles of the last World Cup I wouldn't be surprised if Roy had a win and getting out of the group (with 3 points) down as utopia.

Lee
09-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Well it should be on the table. I don't want us to have no ambition to win anything for the rest of my life. But, you know, baby steps.

Toby
09-10-2015, 08:28 PM
A lot of teams are doing it. Fucking Estonia are passing the ball better than us at times. I'm not talking about us winning things. There are only two trophies to compete for every four years and other countries would quite like to win them too. Not contracting lower limb onset Motor Neuron Disease every time they pull on an England shirt would be a start.

I'm not saying it couldn't be better than whatever you're doing now. I don't really know what you're doing now as I haven't watched you in months. It was more just a response to Gary Monk's name cropping up, since I think what he is doing at Swansea and the skills that requires, is not the same as what you would look for in an international manager.

Raoul Duke
09-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Pardew or Gareth Southgate (badger).

Or Redknapp :uhoh:

ScousePig
09-10-2015, 09:08 PM
So when Hodgson inevitably ballses up Euro 2016 in 9 months time, we're going to need a new manager. Who should it be?

To refresh your memory of who's actually English and a manager these days, I've added a poll with the top 9 most likely according to SkyBet. Be warned though, there are some forriners in there as well.

By Hodgson 'ballsing it up' do you mean 'when we all remember that England are actually crap'?

Mazuuurk
09-10-2015, 09:09 PM
You need Lars Lagerbäck.

niko_cee
09-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Get Big Nige in.

Jimmy Floyd
09-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Ranieri. Let's go foreign, and if you're going to go foreign, go properly fucking foreign.

Failing that, Big Sam would be quality. None of the others listed appeal. Brendan Rodgers is the best manager there but what would he do in the 12 week breaks between games? No philosophies when you barely see your players. You need a cynical twat like Allardyce.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 09:19 PM

Kikó
09-10-2015, 09:23 PM
How is Rogers better than Allardyce?

Yevrah
09-10-2015, 09:25 PM
By Hodgson 'ballsing it up' do you mean 'when we all remember that England are actually crap'?

No, I mean repeating a similar performance to the one he presided over during the last World Cup. We're crap, but we shouldn't be that crap.

randomlegend
Allardyce :sick:

Reg
He's not as good as Rodgers but he's better than Mourinho.

:gs:

Byron
09-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Allardyce :sick:

Allardyce would get results. Remember the days when we lambasted Sven for 'only' managing constant Quarter Finals? He'd take us back to that at least.

ScousePig
09-10-2015, 09:35 PM
The Allardyce love :cool:

Max Power
09-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Ranieri. Let's go foreign, and if you're going to go foreign, go properly fucking foreign.

Failing that, Big Sam would be quality. None of the others listed appeal. Brendan Rodgers is the best manager there but what would he do in the 12 week breaks between games? No philosophies when you barely see your players. You need a cynical twat like Allardyce.

Wouldn't want the evil press pack to round on Claudio when he merely gets England to a World Cup semi. He doesn't deserve it. Plus he's going to retire in Leicester so that's a non starter.

Give it Pards. They'll be some funny moments and he's probably earned it as much as any English manager.

Pepe
09-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Allardyce is the one with the laughing gif isn't he? Give it to him.

Jimmy Floyd
09-10-2015, 09:40 PM
How is Rogers better than Allardyce?

He once nearly won the league in scintillating fashion.

Jimmy Floyd
09-10-2015, 09:42 PM
No, I mean repeating a similar performance to the one he presided over during the last World Cup. We're crap, but we shouldn't be that crap.

We lost narrowly to Italy and Uruguay whilst giving both games a proper go, and once out drew 0-0 with a Costa Rica side which beat both of the aforementioned to top the group. We were far worse at 2010 in my opinion.

Raoul Duke
09-10-2015, 09:43 PM
I reckon Allardyce would have won the league with that Liverpool team.

Lee
09-10-2015, 09:46 PM
Did we give it a proper go against Uruguay? I remember thinking we were utterly terrible in that one. We were okay against Italy but it turned out that was because they were also shit.

Reg
09-10-2015, 09:52 PM
I thought the first half v Italy was good and from then on it was bad.

I would get rid of Hodgson, a) because he's not that good and b) because he's bloody boring (although quite a nice chap).

niko_cee
09-10-2015, 09:53 PM
The Italy game was cracking until it turned out Sterling hadn't scored a 30 yard screamer.

Lee
09-10-2015, 09:54 PM
I like Roy. I think he's the wrong manager but every time I see him interviewed I want to invite him round for a cuppa and a chat. There are worse qualities.

Jimmy Floyd
09-10-2015, 09:56 PM
I like Roy. I think he's the wrong manager but every time I see him interviewed I want to invite him round for a cuppa amd a chat. There are worse qualities.

Why don't you? I bet he'd come. Oh, I guess Lauren would turf him out.

Lee
09-10-2015, 09:58 PM
More likely she'd turf me out.

Lewis
09-10-2015, 10:00 PM
The Italy game was cracking until it turned out Sterling hadn't scored a 30 yard screamer.

That was so good. OHFU... Sit down, dickhead.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 10:08 PM

Yevrah
09-10-2015, 10:13 PM
We lost narrowly to Italy and Uruguay whilst giving both games a proper go, and once out drew 0-0 with a Costa Rica side which beat both of the aforementioned to top the group. We were far worse at 2010 in my opinion.

Italy was ok, in that I thought we weren't bad in that, for a half at least. We were dogshit against Uruguay though, so so bad.

Lewis
09-10-2015, 10:13 PM
World Cup Winning Sam.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 10:17 PM

Giggles
09-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Has he took the Sunderland job?

Yevrah
09-10-2015, 10:25 PM
He has.

Giggles
09-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Ah nice one, I hadn't seen. Best move they could have made.

Spoonsky
10-10-2015, 02:31 AM

I think you're overestimating the quality of Italy and Uruguay here. Both were pretty fucking shit. And in 2010, whilst your group stages performances were genuinely dire, you still should've gone into halftime level with Germany and with the momentum on your side.

Hodgson just strikes me as a senile old man. I feel sorry for him, but also a little mystified that he's still got the job. England will make the quarterfinals of the Euros unless they get drawn into the group of death (will that even exist for this tournament?), but no further.

Lee
10-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Getting to the Quarter Finals meens winning a knock out game. We'll call that success, thank you very much.

Pen
10-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Stuart Baxter

Even after some years, his name still produced a small seethe.

David Moyes & Paul Ince diversity dream team is what you want.

Ian
10-10-2015, 09:31 AM
We have a problem in England with producing good coaches

It's hard to tell because none of them ever get a chance. They have one job where they're a bit crap or don't manage to take [Insert Mid-Table Team Here] to challenge for the top four so they're dismissed. There are plenty of great managers who would struggle if they were put in some of these situations.

Christ, I'd forgotten how devastating that was.

Allardyce is the one with the laughing gif isn't he? Give it to him.

http://kaktackle.co.za/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Allardyce-laugh-Chico.gif

:cool:

Yevrah
10-10-2015, 09:34 AM
While I sympathise with English managers being expected to challenge for the top 4 with mid level teams, they bring it on themselves by choosing those sort of teams ahead of going to the continent in the first place.

Look at McClaren, he did really well at Twente and even though Wolfsburg was a failure he could have gone elsewhere with a genuine shot at playing in the Champions League, but no, instead he chooses to shit it up in Derby and Newcastle.

simon
10-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Allardyce fits.

I'm not even sure I subscribe to the fact he'd have us hoofing the ball up to a Andy Carroll/Kevin Davies. Garry Monk is too young, Rodgers isn't English (though he'd do alright), Neville has never managed etc.

Allardyce would set us up properly and his style of reacting to/exploiting the opposition fits international football well. I agree with Toby in that someone like Rodgers would struggle more because he's not seeing the players every day.

Andy
10-10-2015, 12:08 PM
I'd give it to Pards and keep Neville on board.

Spammer
10-10-2015, 12:15 PM

TTH meet up crew were running wild in the pub at that one.

Smiffy
10-10-2015, 01:58 PM

ScousePig
10-10-2015, 03:45 PM
It's hard to tell because none of them ever get a chance. They have one job where they're a bit crap or don't manage to take [Insert Mid-Table Team Here] to challenge for the top four so they're dismissed. There are plenty of great managers who would struggle if they were put in some of these situations.

Which mid table team expects to challenge for the top four?

Lewis
10-10-2015, 04:49 PM
You could throw the same accusation as English players. Nowhere near enough go abroad but the benefits would be huge.

We have (in terms of week-to-week quality) the strongest league in Europe. Bearing in mind that we don't have anybody good enough to play for Barcelona, what would anybody gain from playing for one of their shitty sides? Germans (and Italians traditionally) don't travel and they do alright.

simon
10-10-2015, 07:33 PM
TTH meet up crew were running wild in the pub at that one.

It took a good minute or two for most of us to realise that it didn't go in. Taz was fuming and I spilt the vast majority of my drink. :moop:

Ian
11-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Which mid table team expects to challenge for the top four?

I didn't mean dismissed as in sacked for not doing it, which I now realise that's what it may have looked like. What I mean is they're often dismissed as a potential managers for not doing something particularly notable.

Hopefully we'll stick to English managers.

ScousePig
11-10-2015, 01:43 PM
I didn't mean dismissed as in sacked for not doing it, which I now realise that's what it may have looked like. What I mean is they're often dismissed as a potential managers for not doing something particularly notable.

Hopefully we'll stick to English managers.

Yeah but I don't think managers are dismissed for not taking an average club to challenge for the top four, because that's unrealistic.

If a manager is guiding one of the also-rans to consistent mid-table finishes then they're doing a very good job.

Ian
11-10-2015, 04:07 PM
I know this but I don't see much of a clamour for Allardyce, say, to get the England job.

ScousePig
11-10-2015, 06:01 PM
There has been when he's been doing well with a mid-table club.

Ian
11-10-2015, 06:26 PM
I can't say I remember there ever being much noise about people wanting him in the job before but I don't care enough to argue it.

Andy
11-10-2015, 06:34 PM
I wonder what the FA see as bare minimum from Hodgson to keep his job. I think there's a fair chance we could do reasonably well.

ScousePig
11-10-2015, 06:34 PM
I'm pretty sure around 2010 or so there was a fair bit of clamour.

Smiffy
11-10-2015, 06:36 PM

Max Power
11-10-2015, 06:39 PM
I'd say the threshold is very low if they kept him after the World Cup. He loves the job and the FA love having a good company man who probably wears his England blazer to Tesco. Get out the group and Roy will be leading us to Russia.

Lee
11-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Given the format of the tournament a last eight finish is quite possible. If it's on penalties he'll come home a hero.

SvN
11-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Has Roy really done a bad job? I don't think he's been as shit as Yev is suggesting.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 07:04 PM
He presided over our worst ever performance in a World Cup, his only tournament to date, so yeah, he has.

Lee
11-10-2015, 07:05 PM
He was in charge and 2012 and did okay. He definitely should have been binned after the World Cup though. It was fucking appalling.

SvN
11-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Performance is a subjective word.

Reg
11-10-2015, 07:07 PM
I would say making Rooney captain was a big mistake, because it makes him undroppable, but there was such a shortage of obvious candidates. Which suggests maybe he hasn't done that bad a job at all, and that maybe Italy and Uruguay (personally I think we have better players than the latter) should have beaten us. I think Hart would have been a better choice.

simon
11-10-2015, 07:08 PM
He presided over our worst ever performance in a World Cup, his only tournament to date, so yeah, he has.

We were worse in 2010. Even if we did scrape out of the group.

Lewis
11-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Our captain pulling faces at the Italian penalty takers would have disgraced the nation.

Reg
11-10-2015, 07:11 PM
If Grobbelaar wobbling his legs can help him become a Liverpool favourite, then Hart should get away with looking like a tool (it was worth a go).