View Full Version : Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Ian
09-10-2015, 10:34 AM
RPS have done a hands-on:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/08/deus-ex-mankind-divided-preview/

Should be ace.

Dan
09-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Yep, really looking forward to this one. Sounds awesome already.

Ian
23-10-2015, 10:22 PM
The new vid is mostly meaningless CGI nonsense but it still gets me tingly:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/22/deus-ex-mankind-divided-video/

I want this. Hard.

Ian
18-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Delayed until August. :cry:

phonics
18-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Bet they're glad they cancelled that 'Get the game on XX date if you pre-order' scheme now.

Ian
18-11-2015, 09:13 PM
RPS reckoned it was looking pretty swish when they got their hands on it as well so hopefully they just decided some bits weren't quite as slick as others and it's just to tart things up.

Ian
18-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Adam Jensen is still SUPER GRUFF AND SUPER SERIOUS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyyMhAOWvf8

Looking forward to it. Need to finish off Witcher 3 DLC this weekend before I go on holiday and then get into this on my three-day weekend when I get back.

Dark Soldier
18-08-2016, 07:36 PM
EDGE gave it a 9, was always going to be in for this though. Got DOOM to play and finish first however.

neo_hippy
19-08-2016, 07:21 PM
More reviews through and all seem good
. Shopt has it for 35 quid. Preordered

Ian
20-08-2016, 08:35 AM
RPS' review essentially boils down to "If you thought Human Revolution was great, you'll think Mankind Divided is great."

Sold.

Ian
02-09-2016, 11:39 PM
Made a start on this today and enjoying it so far. Though Jensen doesn't appear to have changed at all so far despite the stuff that went on in Human Revolution and the opening bit wasn't as much of a hook as that first section of Human Revolution was. I also think the 'omg difficult choices!!' thing with the choice of augs it sets up at the start looks like being very, very short-lived.

neo_hippy
05-09-2016, 06:53 AM
There has been a fair bit of info to get your head around, people, groups etc but I'm really starting to enjoy this a lot now

Ian
05-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Things I like:
- the amount of options and toys for a non-lethal playthrough.
- CASIE, though it should come up more.
- Icarus dash, even if it's just a Blink ripoff.
- Golem City

Things I don't like:
- inconsistency between in-game gear and cutscene gear.
- the fairly lazy REAL ISSUES stuff, because they set it up and then do little with it.
- I think this game could have done with a new protagonist. I liked Jensen gruffly sighing at everything in Human Revolution but this didn't need to be his story. I'd have rather he was written into the canonical HR ending somehow, maybe appear as a non-playable character.

Dark Soldier
05-09-2016, 04:33 PM
I give zero fucks about the story to be honest. I just love the gameplay. My GOTY, up there with Inside and Souls 3.

Ian
06-09-2016, 04:01 PM
How'd you play? Stealthy or murdery?

I've got a BIG DECISION to make when I fire it up tonight. Hopefully it actually matters.

Yevrah
06-09-2016, 04:32 PM
I'm hearing this is very good.

Dark Soldier
06-09-2016, 04:46 PM
How'd you play? Stealthy or murdery?

I've got a BIG DECISION to make when I fire it up tonight. Hopefully it actually matters.

I'm going with a mix. Primarily tranq/knock outs, but if I'm entering a proper crim den I'll pull out the shotgun as its ridiculous at close range.

I'm hearing this is very good.

If you liked Human revolution, you'll like this. Gameplay is a bit tighter, plot is complete nonsense but its all fantastic as a package.

Ian
06-09-2016, 05:37 PM
I think I've killed a few of the guys at the end of the opening bit but only one person since, a dodgy copper in Golem.

Otherwise I've been ghosting a lot of it, as much as I can while still being able to hack everything and loot stuff. Have Tesla now and will have Peps soon though (and possibly non-lethal typhoon in future) so I might start laying beatdowns on proper wrong'uns.

One other thing I really liked, one random apartment I broke into there was an alarm and a voice saying something about an unauthorised person or whatever. I sort of paused but not much happened so I carried on. And then a couple of police wandered in to search the place because of the alarm. I had to hide but managed to avoid them finding me. Was a nice touch though.

Dark Soldier
06-09-2016, 06:25 PM
I think I've killed a few of the guys at the end of the opening bit but only one person since, a dodgy copper in Golem.

Otherwise I've been ghosting a lot of it, as much as I can while still being able to hack everything and loot stuff. Have Tesla now and will have Peps soon though (and possibly non-lethal typhoon in future) so I might start laying beatdowns on proper wrong'uns.

One other thing I really liked, one random apartment I broke into there was an alarm and a voice saying something about an unauthorised person or whatever. I sort of paused but not much happened so I carried on. And then a couple of police wandered in to search the place because of the alarm. I had to hide but managed to avoid them finding me. Was a nice touch though.

You're at Golem, and haven't found the relevance of that apartment? :D

I've just arrived in Golem, been going very slow, done about 8 sidequests, 3 or 4 of which I just discovered wandering about and chatting to peeps/reading pocket secretaries. There's a ton of stuff easily missed here. I've dedicated most of my Praxis to hacking and things which make it easy to get into places (punching through weak walls etc). Also stabilised my aim, Icarus Dash, maxed my battery and upgraded my scan. The volatile powers really don't hold much interest currently.

Ian
06-09-2016, 06:43 PM
It was random as soon as I went in. I do any sidequests as and when they come up and did a lot of exploring early doors so I had no reason to expect anything when I broke in but of course as soon as I did the laptops and the stash I knew whose it was. Would have been a bit better had I gone there the first time during the relevant mission as going back there the second time was a bit shit.

Like you, I've been trying to scour every nook and cranny. There are level 5 safes and things I encountered early that I'm going to forget where they are but I've upgraded all that so I should be able to get most things on my first sweep through places now.

The best of the 'extra' augs for the type of build you're doing is the remote hacking. I probably misread something and so thought it was for doing normal hacking but from further away/less suspiciously but it's actually for other stuff which can help with, amongst other things, exploring.

Dark Soldier
06-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Oohh cheers, I'll aim for that next. I did the same thing btw, broke into that apartment early in the game then found I had to head back later one, kinda ruined it a tad. The cleaning service however is lovely and efficient.

Ian
06-09-2016, 06:56 PM
There are a couple of things with the remote hacking that on the face of it appear to be fluff but are also useful. It's a nice game for that too, discovering little things that would by no means ruin the experience if you never found but you find yourself nodding and being glad they were included.

Dark Soldier
06-09-2016, 07:09 PM
I feel that if they'd given the graphics a real modern upgrade, tidied up some of the animations (you've a one foot high box to climb on, better play the animation like you're scaling a 20 foot wall) and character models/voices, this would've sold insane numbers. It still looks gorgeous in some areas (Golem looks amazing, although I've yet to explore it), but it is still just a very slight upgrade on HR.

But then Square Enix fucked with it big style pre-release, so that hasn't helped.

Boydy
06-09-2016, 07:13 PM
I saw something about micro-transactions in the single player campaign. What's that about?

Dark Soldier
06-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Not needed at all, but you can, if you're that way inclined, buy extra praxis points, or a gun or some silly shit. Basically stuff you find in the game anyway, but pay and get it immediately.

Square allegedly pushed for it a week before the game was finished. Hence why the separate 'bonus' mission you get is referenced in the finished game as if you're gonna be going to do it, but Square wanted it hacked out as some kinda bonus shite. So its a bit odd really. When pubs get the dollar signs and all that.

Ian
06-09-2016, 07:34 PM
The main thing, Boyd, is that it never pesters you to buy stuff. I suppose there may be something in the loading screen tips that I've not spotted but it's not forever pointing out that you get a shiny new aug if you just forked out two quid or whatever.

Dark Soldier
06-09-2016, 07:44 PM
I'm ashamed to admit I bought five extra praxis as I had £4 left over on my PSN account. Got my battery to max.

Ian
06-09-2016, 07:48 PM
I bought the special thingamobob with the 'season pass', some guns (I've only used the tranquiliser rifle so far) and some monies and praxis but to be honest the game chucks so much at you you wouldn't feel especially short without it.

Alex
06-09-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm replaying Human Revolution before I join you gentlemen on this, because I think I only got about half-way through it last time. I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

I did the exact same fucking thing I did first time round though, which was to stealth it up all the way only to subsequently roll up on that first boss with my silenced pistol and not a great deal else and proceed to get slapped around like a rag doll for an hour and a half because he's basically a walking tank.

He's dead now. But that mostly involved me lobbing a couple of explosive barrels at him and then hiding in an upstairs room while he tried and failed to throw grenades up the ladder at me, I think killing himself in the process. That sort of took the sheen off me eventually emerging like a tough guy in the subsequent cut scene to give it the big one and rough him up a bit before he died. :D

Ian
06-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Yeah, the gas tanks are handy with him too because he stops for a cough.

I had to Google that boss fight because I didn't remember any ladders. You have the Director's Cut which makes the boss fights a bit less shit.

Alex
06-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Yeah, the gas tanks are handy with him too because he stops for a cough.

I had to Google that boss fight because I didn't remember any ladders. You have the Director's Cut which makes the boss fights a bit less shit.

I do.

They're meant to have added a few more options to suit different play styles. Apparently I could also have hacked some turrets and gotten them to mow him down for me, but I didn't have the required strength boost to lift them out of the room they were locked in and put them down in range of him.

Ian
06-09-2016, 08:21 PM
So yeah, imagine that boss fight but with it literally just being a big square room, some pillars round the edges and one storage room to hide in.

Well anyway, I've spent too much time reading shit tonight so the BIG DECISION will have to wait for tomorrow.

Alex
06-09-2016, 08:32 PM
So yeah, imagine that boss fight but with it literally just being a big square room, some pillars round the edges and one storage room to hide in.

Well anyway, I've spent too much time reading shit tonight so the BIG DECISION will have to wait for tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I had the original version when I played it first time round but I've no idea what I've done with it so I had to re-buy it. So I remember from then. I think I ended up having to back track through the entire facility (or maybe even re-starting) to get my hands on some proximity mines or something. Or maybe it was the rocket launcher. Something like that.

neo_hippy
07-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Remote hack has been pretty useful for me. I've tried to stealth it up everywhere and apart from once in golem pretty much managed it. Would be happy enough to shotgun a read bad guy though but I'm really not auged for it.

Regarding the decision, if it's the one I think you mean then I went to the bank.

Dark Soldier
07-09-2016, 09:39 PM
I did the mission to (Spoilers, like 4th/5th story mission):

get the leader of ARC

Which was a superb mission. Managed to get to where I had to be with pure stealth, vents are the fucking business. Then it all went to absolute shit and out came the shotty, grenades and my newly learnt remote hacking. Was an absolute blast from start to finish.

I love this game.

Ian
07-09-2016, 09:49 PM
So in Golem:
I stealthed it to Talos Rucker. I had to stun gun one dude who walked in on me hacking a laptop and we had a brief awkward moment but otherwise I ghosted it.

I haven't played again tonight but for the decision I'm thinking of doing the one that's not the bank job.

Dark Soldier
07-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Have you got the CASIE aug, Ian? Its fecking amazing :D

Ian
07-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Pretty sure CASIE was the first thing I got in Human Revolution and got it right away here. I fucking loved Planescape Tormet, a game where you can chat your way through most if not all fights so CASIE was always going to be a no-brainer for me.

It's shit that it's so situational but totally understandable. I love it.

I'm sure in HR (Sarif, maybe?) there's somebody you try to use it on and they totally call you out on it. :D

Dark Soldier
07-09-2016, 10:08 PM
I never got it in HR for some reason, so its new to me. It makes you so damn OP added to everything else. I love feeling like the master of stealth, then I crouch walk backwards slowly and fall 20 foot through a hole in the floor or something. Happened earlier, I was about 30 yards from my goal, one enemy between me and it, and bang I drop four floors.

Ian
07-09-2016, 10:15 PM
I'm trying to think, there's one particular conversation really early where I couldn't fathom why they wouldn't let you use CASIE to 'win' the conversation if you had it. I guess they play the odds that most people would go for the offensive augs.

And yeah, Icarus stuff is swish too. Both the landing and the new Dishonored-esque Icarus Dash. Even when playing stealth you definitely get to feel like you're in control. Like the Batman games, or Dishonored. I like games where you stealth because you can't attack head-on as well but it's nice to feel like a predator. I'm already so strong that even if things went tits-up I'd be in no real danger but it's nice to do the sneaky bit none the less.

Ian
14-09-2016, 09:45 PM
The Prague curfew is a total pain in the hole. It's a nice way to mix it up but when you've been sent back and forth to stealth through the same checkpoint about eight times it loses it's charm somewhat. Was genuinely just tempted to Tesla and PEPs my way past the fuckers.

Ian
17-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Enjoyed this very much but that ending is a bit abrupt and clearly just there to set up the next game, which is a bit wank.

I didn't get the 'best' ending, and only realised part way through what I've just read: that it's possible to actually do both 'choices' for the ending if you're quick. I wasn't.

I went for Marchenko, and I think he's the one person in the game I actually killed.

neo_hippy
20-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Finished last night, loved it. Although people are right about the ending it does feel rushed and not really the end at all.

in the end I went for marchenko first and really struggled to win the fight. After hacking all 3 laptops and turning on friendly fire on everything I managed to emp grenade him and get him with a nonlethal take down. Took about an hour and half of restarting though.

Then i saved the antidote for the guests rather then using on miller.

Ian
20-09-2016, 08:11 PM
So I'd gone for the bomber rather than the bank which meant I didn't have the Orchid antidote. I went for Marchenko though and he was one of my few kills, I felt he needed putting down.

So you managed to save the guests and get Marchenko then, neo_hippy ?

neo_hippy
21-09-2016, 06:03 AM
Yeah I nonlethaled marchenko first really from muscle memory of doing nonlethal take downs rather then lethal all game and being in a rush to get him down. I really struggled in that fight being completely not set up for any sort of loud game play. Wish I'd taken him out.

Yeah I got the antidote from the bank job and got to the guests after they drank the orchid but in time to give the antidote so they were all saved. Miller I assume died as I refused to give him any, he did say he'd refuse it anyway so maybe that happens to everyone?

Looking forward to the next game now which I guess will see the move from Aug tech to nanotechnology. Bob Page was mentioned a lot in this and I'm pretty sure he was a main character in the original?

Ian
24-09-2016, 10:10 AM
Yeah, Page was one of the bad guys in the original. The 'final boss', of sorts. I'll definitely be getting the antidote on a potential second playthrough, I really wanted a crack at the bank's corporate vaults.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/23/deus-ex-mankind-divided-system-rift-dlc-released/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHDTngIS_cA

Could be fun.

Disco
24-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Enjoyed this very much but that ending is a bit abrupt and clearly just there to set up the next game, which is a bit wank.

It's better than that, Eidos were forced by Square Enix to break their game in two so it could be a trilogy and they could get paid twice.

Ian
24-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Hah, that's a disgrace and it totally doesn't surprise me.

Still, managed to somehow not realise that that new DLC is out today so once the United game is done that's my afternoon sorted.

Ian
24-09-2016, 05:38 PM
System Rift is about three hours. It's pretty decent in that the area you're going into is nicely designed and gives you loads of options. It is very much just more of the same but that suits me.

It's irritating that you have to start your Jensen from scratch because the DLC takes place in the middle of the story but it gives you a good chunk to start off with and I didn't feel like I was missing much by not having my mega-Jensen to play with.

I reckon the decisions would be trickier if you were wanting to go more aggressive than I did.