PDA

View Full Version : Klopp confirmed at Liverpool

John
08-10-2015, 02:34 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/08/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-manager

Apparently they've already started dicking around with the coaching setup to suit him.

Thoughts?

Boydy
08-10-2015, 02:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/G8S6vyU.gif

SvN
08-10-2015, 02:36 PM
I hoped he'd manage us one day, so a bit gutted on that front. I think it's probably the best appointment they could've made, and I expect him to do well.

Boydy
08-10-2015, 02:37 PM
I hate how it's international weekend.

CJay
08-10-2015, 02:39 PM
I agree with Boydy's first post.

Lewis
08-10-2015, 02:42 PM
I think he'll get them fifth and stay there, so is that good or bad?

Magic
08-10-2015, 02:45 PM

Beat me to it.

Toby
08-10-2015, 02:46 PM
He'll do well if he gets time to settle in but I can't see him hitting the ground running. Didn't Dortmund do piss all for his first two or three seasons there? He seems like somebody who will want to build a team in his own image and take a while to get them playing how he'd like.

Boydy
08-10-2015, 02:56 PM
No lower than third.

7om
08-10-2015, 02:58 PM
http://oi55.tinypic.com/2llk684.jpg

Serj
08-10-2015, 02:59 PM
I'm genuinely surprised (and delighted) that he didn't wait for an offer from a better club. There are still enough players in the squad who should be comfortable with his brand of counter-attacking, high-pressing football for it to work. Fifth should be the target, but I'm already happy if the manages to improve the turgid performances we've seen so far this season.

Benny
08-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Would be Spurs they play next, wouldn't it.

phonics
08-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Would be Spurs they play next, wouldn't it.

A high press off?

Pepe
08-10-2015, 03:27 PM

Until that one season where they slip to fourth and think they're title contenders. Then they'll slip back to fifth and he will be fired.

Jimmy Floyd
08-10-2015, 03:47 PM
If there's one season with a gift-wrapped opportunity for fourth it's this one.

Gray Fox
08-10-2015, 03:51 PM
This is basically perfect on paper.

He's the man almost any Liverpool fan would have wanted had you asked them and is about the best manager we could have signed. There's a buzz about the place again and the fans are happy with the owners. Which was a relationship ready to turn sour.

If FSG back off with their principles and let Klopp do as he thinks is right, we'll head back in the right direction. However just swapping Rodgers for Klopp and leaving everything else as is, would be quite stupid.

Lewis
08-10-2015, 04:00 PM
'I'd like you to sign Marco Reus.'
'What about, yeah, if we sign Yannick Bolasie instead?'
*sixth*

Mike
08-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Very happy with that appointment.

CJay
08-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Klopp brought on quite a few players in his time with Dortmund - Lewandowski, Gotze, Reus, Kagawa, Gundogan, Hummels, etc. all developed nicely under him. So hopefully he can so some good work with what we have at the minute.

Smiffy
08-10-2015, 05:02 PM

Reg
08-10-2015, 05:06 PM
I reckon they'll be pretty much sorted identity/tactics wise by the end of the season. He's about as good as you can get, any club in the world would happily take him.

I don't like Liverpool, but I'm looking forward to this.

John Arne
08-10-2015, 05:10 PM
http://oi55.tinypic.com/2llk684.jpg

Nice one.

Luca
08-10-2015, 05:18 PM
The delusion is glorious.

Jimmy Floyd
08-10-2015, 05:21 PM
This is basically perfect on paper.

He's the man almost any Liverpool fan would have wanted had you asked them and is about the best manager we could have signed. There's a buzz about the place again and the fans are happy with the owners. Which was a relationship ready to turn sour.

If FSG back off with their principles and let Klopp do as he thinks is right, we'll head back in the right direction. However just swapping Rodgers for Klopp and leaving everything else as is, would be quite stupid.

I agree, but there's more chance of Gerry Marsden doing a celebratory collaboration album with Kraftwerk than there is of a group of Americans with a multi-million dollar financial stake in something 'backing off and letting x do as he thinks right'.

7om
08-10-2015, 05:38 PM
The delusion is glorious.

It really is. We're about to go through a serious bullish phase, I imagine, followed by the inevitable disillusionment when the titles don't get come.

Reg
08-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Why is it delusioned to think one of the best managers will do well?

7om
08-10-2015, 06:01 PM
He will do well, I imagine. Just not as good as the mental scousers are thinking, though.

Boydy
08-10-2015, 06:02 PM
He'll probably win the champions league next year.

Disco
08-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Gone that quickly eh?

Boydy
08-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Gone that quickly eh?

https://media1.giphy.com/media/xYOgkobgyFZuM/200.gif

Baz
08-10-2015, 06:50 PM
I hope Gary Macca gets to stick around.

Any predictions on signings in the next two transfers windows?

Stefan Bell? Granit Xhaka? Timo Horn?

Ian
08-10-2015, 06:57 PM
I did enjoy this yesterday:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/liverpool-fans-demand-to-know-why-potential-new-manager-hasnt-turned-things-around-20151007102688

If FSG back off with their principles

Why would they do this? Their principles are what has just prompted them to sack an arsehole-ish but talented manager. Why would they sack him and then go "Shit me, we've been doing it all wrong?"

Not to say they HAVEN'T but if they have it's because they're spineless as well as stupid rather than any cunning plan to lure Klopp in.

John Arne
08-10-2015, 07:11 PM
He will do well, I imagine. Just not as good as the mental scousers are thinking, though.

Who are these mental scousers? Who in this or any other thread have suggested we are going to do anything in the next few years?
Some people has suggested that it's a good appointment, which given his pedigree, and the previous potato we had in charge, it is.

CJay
08-10-2015, 07:20 PM

Which mental 'scousers' are you referring to? No one here has said much more than 'we're happy with this appointment' and 'we should be heading in the right direction with Klopp in charge'. Utterly mental reactions, I agree.

Edit: Oh, John already covered this. Now, 7om will say we're seething. :rolleyes:

Pepe
08-10-2015, 07:26 PM
No need to get all defensive lads.

Ian
08-10-2015, 07:29 PM
I don't really understand what's happening here. Are you pretending that Tom is specifically criticising the TTH Liverpool contingent or that Liverpool fandom doesn't exist outside this board?

No need to get all defensive lads.

Liverpool certainly haven't this year. :henn0rz:

John
08-10-2015, 07:34 PM
If there hasn't been a single televised Liverpool supporter saying they'll win the league with Danny Ings tucking forty goals away I'll be very surprised. Those are the mental Liverpool fans. Christ, if Taz was here he'd be saying the same thing.

You two, CJ and JA, are mental in the Kiz, 'how very dare you' sort of way.

CJay
08-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Well Luca and Tom seem to be referring to the Liverpool-supporting posters in this thread. I couldn't care less what people think of Liverpool fans in general. They're no more mental than any other set of fans, really.

Lewis
08-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Yes they are.

Gray Fox
08-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Why would they do this? Their principles are what has just prompted them to sack an arsehole-ish but talented manager. Why would they sack him and then go "Shit me, we've been doing it all wrong?"

Not to say they HAVEN'T but if they have it's because they're spineless as well as stupid rather than any cunning plan to lure Klopp in.

I meant the way they see the transfer market. If we want to improve from 5-6th place irrelevancy, we need to stop bulk buying promising youth and start properly shelling out on a player closer to the finished article.

You could argue we have tried, but then who had the say on this? For all we know Rodgers could have targeted all the players he signed. Or alternatively it was none of them and the committee made the signings. To get back into the top 4 we need to buy 2-3 players per season to improve the first team, not just bulk out the squad and we need the manager being the one in control. We've seen many times previously, a single person being in charge of it is good. Even a director of football would be better because then we know who is accountable. For now there's 4-5+ people on this committee and we have no idea who has which role in it.

Ian
08-10-2015, 07:43 PM
*Don

EDIT: Which "finished article" is going to go to Liverpool who as a) going to make a difference and b) going to make such a difference as to be worth the cost?

That's not a dig, just that FSG don't have the inclination, even if they have the wherewithal, to spunk Ł60m on a Ł40m player just to stop a better club getting him. I don't see any reason to think they're going to decide they are the issue.

Reg
08-10-2015, 07:48 PM
If we want to improve from 5-6th place irrelevancy,
There's something horrible about a league/sport where 5th or 6th out of 20th in the top tier is irrelevant.

(Not a dig at you.)

Lewis
08-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Fifth in any sport is irrelevant. Alright, it makes you better than Grimsby Town, but so what?

Gray Fox
08-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Ian They have said they are constantly learning having basically known nothing of football before they took over. Who knows, maybe Klopp can attract these kinds of players.

Don't get me wrong, I like us not being a debt ridden mess. It just feels a lot like playing it safe. Well at least until we got to Sunday.

John
08-10-2015, 08:05 PM
Klopp is the perfect man to have at the head of a system which signs youth in bulk and relies on improving them. He wasn't buying his own players at Dortmund, so there's no reason to think he's going to be plucking the next Lewandowski out of obscurity (and he only signed for Dortmund because of that 'l' heavy volcano in Iceland), so the only obviously transferable skill from his time at Dortmund is his ability to bring on young players.

Ian
08-10-2015, 08:06 PM
That falls firmly into the "Well they're going to say that, aren't they?" category.

Has there been an example of an owner or group of owners at a reasonably-sized club who has radically changed their thinking based on their own failures?

phonics
08-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Klopp is the perfect man to have at the head of a system which signs youth in bulk and relies on improving them. He wasn't buying his own players at Dortmund, so there's no reason to think he's going to be plucking the next Lewandowski out of obscurity (and he only signed for Dortmund because of that 'l' heavy volcano in Iceland), so the only obviously transferable skill from his time at Dortmund is his ability to bring on young players.

Wut?

John
08-10-2015, 08:50 PM
He was heading for Blackburn until that volcano went off and stopped people flying.

Lewis
08-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Get it right: Big Sam's Blackburn.

Lewis
08-10-2015, 09:49 PM
https://twitter.com/BVB/status/652219055940747264

:sick:

Kikó
08-10-2015, 09:52 PM
He'll likely make Liverpool a shitload more watchable than United which is depressing.

John
08-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Fucking hell. :D

Liverpool themselves would have been proud of that.

AE
08-10-2015, 09:57 PM
I don't like Liverpool at all. Now it's going to be even harder to dislike them :(

Spoonsky
08-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Yes they are.

They are, but not so much so to justify posting "lol delusion haha!" at every Liverpool-related pieces of news. Especially when all of the Liverpool posters here are more or less sensible (RIP Al0n).

This is very good news, long-term. It's the first time I've ever been genuinely excited about a managerial change at Liverpool. Given that he could easily have gone to United or Madrid, Liverpool have done very well here for once.

Boydy
08-10-2015, 10:28 PM
I don't really get the Liverpool hatred. Surely you'd just laugh at the crazy fans (like you would with Newcastle ones, say) and the club hasn't been successful enough since the 80s to hate them for being good in the way people hate United or Chelsea, so what is it?

Gray Fox
08-10-2015, 10:32 PM
I don't really get the Liverpool hatred. Surely you'd just laugh at the crazy fans (like you would with Newcastle ones, say) and the club hasn't been successful enough since the 80s to hate them for being good in the way people hate United or Chelsea, so what is it?

I'd love to know this too.

Spoonsky
08-10-2015, 10:33 PM
I think it's largely to do with the culture of victimhood. I think Lewis made the comparison of Juventus playing last year's Champions League final 30 years after Heysel, and how if it was Liverpool and Hillsborough it would be made into a massive deal.

I also think that people generally like to have a punching bag, and lolling at "delusion" in threads like this can make you feel better about your own club or your own life.

SvN
08-10-2015, 10:34 PM
The victim culture definitely plays a part.

Boydy
08-10-2015, 10:35 PM
They did get legitimately fucked over with Hillsborough though. That much has been acknowledged now.

GS
08-10-2015, 10:36 PM
He has a track record of winning things and competing at a high level. The last three managers were a bloke who last won something worthwhile in Sweden in the seventies, a club legend who hadn't managed anyone in over a decade and a spoofer with one season in the top division behind him.

It's an appointment which justifies the Rodgers sacking and its timing.

He will, no doubt, be absolutely shit now.

John
08-10-2015, 10:36 PM
They still refuse to play on the anniversary of Hillsbrough, don't they?

We've had two stadium disasters and played the same fixture at the same venue on the fortieth anniversary of the second one without a word of complaint.

Boydy
08-10-2015, 10:38 PM
He has a track record of winning things and competing at a high level. The last three managers were a bloke who last won something worthwhile in Sweden in the seventies, a club legend who hadn't managed anyone in over a decade and a spoofer with one season in the top division behind him.

It's an appointment which justifies the Rodgers sacking and its timing.

He will, no doubt, be absolutely shit now.

Come on, cheer up. Northern Ireland qualified and Liverpool got Klopp. It's a good day.

SvN
08-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Not to mention the number of petitions from them over the years about anything and everything, the Sky boycotts over not voting Suarez player of the year or because Gary Neville was hired, the Suarez T-Shirts (lol), the over the top sentimentality.

Spoonsky
08-10-2015, 10:39 PM
They did get legitimately fucked over with Hillsborough though. That much has been acknowledged now.

They did, but why make such a big deal of it thirty years on? What good does it do? Ninety-six people died, everyone knows that. Those torches were even incorporated into the logo. What other club would change their logo based on a stadium disaster?

Lewis
08-10-2015, 10:44 PM
The victim culture and sentimentality is a Liverpool thing rather than a Liverpool F.C. thing, but it permeates their football discourse to such an extent that, whilst people don't necessarily hate them (I don't), it just becomes that little bit funnier when they lose because the delusion and paranoia comes to the fore. It's the same with Arsenal, except their discourse is built around the idea that they're the only club playing the game properly, so when they suffer they act like football has lost out.

When Chelsea and United lose they just seethe in the moment or at things going on with the club. They don't take it 'personally'.

Boydy
08-10-2015, 10:45 PM
The victim culture and sentimentality is a Liverpool thing rather than a Liverpool F.C. thing, but it permeates their football discourse to such an extent that, whilst people don't necessarily hate them (I don't), it just becomes that little bit funnier when they lose because the delusion and paranoia comes to the fore. It's the same with Arsenal, except their discourse is built around the idea that they're the only club playing the game properly, so when they suffer they act like football has lost out.

When Chelsea and United lose they just seethe in the moment or at things going on with the club. They don't take it 'personally'.

Alright, Foucault.

mugbull
08-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Does he have that much of a track record? Dortmund's 3 seasons competing with Bayern were obivously very good, but he fell off at the end and from what I've read his Mainz experience was up and down, brought them up to the Bundesliga and then relegated them again later. I think hes good but it's not like his track record is that phenomenal.

CJay
08-10-2015, 11:21 PM
Does he have that much of a track record? Dortmund's 3 seasons competing with Bayern were obivously very good, but he fell off at the end and from what I've read his Mainz experience was up and down, brought them up to the Bundesliga and then relegated them again later. I think hes good but it's not like his track record is that phenomenal.

He took a fairly unfashionable club to the Bundesliga for the first time in their history, keeping them up for 2 seasons. Dortmund finished 13th the year before he took charge, then 6th, 5th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 7th. He won the German Cup and was runner up in the Champions League. That's about as good a CV as you can get these days outside 4 / 5 managers.

Lewis
08-10-2015, 11:28 PM
Who remembers Paul Le Guen (other than John)?

Spoonsky
08-10-2015, 11:29 PM
I'd forgotten he won the Bundesliga twice in a row. Are Dortmund basically done now?

CJay
08-10-2015, 11:39 PM
Well they're never going to challenge again while Bayern are like this. It's arguably the most one-sided league in the world at the moment, surely? In terms of even half-decent leagues anyway.

Lewis
08-10-2015, 11:55 PM
So basically he's good at coaching good players (which he never signed), and when they were sold/injured the team hit the skids. Hmm.

John
08-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Paul le Guen. :sick:

From stalwart of the Champions League latter stages to manager of Oman in about five years.

Spoonsky
09-10-2015, 12:47 AM
So basically he's good at coaching good players (which he never signed), and when they were sold/injured the team hit the skids. Hmm.

Lewandowski, Reus, Gotze, Barrios, Subotic, Kagawa, Piszczek, Grosbkeuts, Perisic, and Gundogan were all signed after he became their coach, so I'm not sure where you got that parenthetical from.

Adamski
09-10-2015, 05:16 AM
Lewis' point is that Dortmund have a transfer committee too, so he didn't necessarily sign them.

Luke Emia
09-10-2015, 06:04 AM
On paper this looks a very good appointment. But we will he be able to do it on a Wednesday night at Stoke? Or West Brom? In all seriousness this is about the best we could have got. Ancelotti has questions as he's always worked at top clubs and Dortmund were even more of a fuck up than we are when he took them over.

Luca
09-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Well Luca and Tom seem to be referring to the Liverpool-supporting posters in this thread. I couldn't care less what people think of Liverpool fans in general. They're no more mental than any other set of fans, really.

Not really; club fans on here are, for the most part, reasonable people. It's the general delusion I've been reading around the web that led to the comment.

That being said, the structural problems at Liverpool FC still exist, WORLD CLASS manager or not. Namely, an ownership group unwilling to splash the sort of cash necessary to compete for hardware in the BPLSBB and continentally, which is what Lewis alluded to with his Bolasie comment. The news I've heard that they're keeping 'the committee' isn't a good sign either, seeing as they're (on the whole) useless.

Davgooner
09-10-2015, 07:47 AM
They did get legitimately fucked over with Hillsborough though.

For fuck sake Boydy.

Giggles
09-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Klopp will be enough to keep Boydy as fan4life for another while anyway which is a win in itself.

Luca
09-10-2015, 08:01 AM
https://twitter.com/BVB/status/652219055940747264

:sick:

Why has every GLOBAL FOOTBALL BRAND hired a 19-year-old social media manager who reckons he's too clever for his own good. It's probably the same bloke for all of them, you know.

Lewis
09-10-2015, 10:01 AM
English clubs seem to run decent Twitter accounts (the big ones at least, since they have no incentive to go viral). That's more of a Germans losing the plot thing.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 10:04 AM

Magic
09-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Why has every GLOBAL FOOTBALL BRAND hired a 19-year-old social media manager who reckons he's too clever for his own good. It's probably the same bloke for all of them, you know.

Phonics is seething right now.

Jimmy Floyd
09-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Chelsea can tweet an update from their under 18s game and within a minute, it will have hundreds of retweets and tens of replies from people saying SELL IVANOVIC NOW and BUY MESSI AND POGBA. It's mental.

Magic
09-10-2015, 10:24 AM
The Afrikaans are bad for that shit.

niko_cee
09-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Apparently I know Jurgen 5/7 well. His middle name and the fact that Simon Mignolet is the same height as him caught me out.

Title within 4 years.

:drool:

I assume he means trophy, but whatever. Details.

Max Power
09-10-2015, 11:29 AM
I wonder how long it'll take before Klopp really annoys me. I like him but now he's at the famous Liverpool Football Club and I feel the eccentric soundbites may wear a bit thin when we hear them every five minutes.

Benny
09-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Must admit I've never really seen much of his press conferences, just a few GIF's of his manic smile and stare. My immediate thoughts are he's German so that means he's pretty intense and his humour is shit.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 11:38 AM

Giggles
09-10-2015, 11:41 AM
I wonder how long it'll take before Klopp really annoys me. I like him but now he's at the famous Liverpool Football Club and I feel the eccentric soundbites may wear a bit thin when we hear them every five minutes.

I never had coverage of Germany in recent years so I never really paid him much heed or know a great deal about him apart from stories that he's a bit touched. Naturally I'm going to despise him and only wish him misfortune from here on, but that just comes with the territory.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 11:44 AM

phonics
09-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Phonics is seething right now.

I don't have the required levels of 'banter' to run a football social media account.

Reg
09-10-2015, 01:06 PM
It seems logical to me to assume that if he can coach one club's players, he can coach another's. A very good coach is generally a very good coach wherever he goes.

I'd imagine he'll have about the same amount of responsibility on transfers as he did at Dortmund. From what I've read there isn't a whole lot of difference between approaches at clubs who have a director of football etc (rather than an all-powerful manager).

Adam
09-10-2015, 01:08 PM
The victim culture definitely plays a part.

Completely agree with that, does my fucking head in.

John
09-10-2015, 01:10 PM
It seems logical to me to assume that if he can coach one club's players, he can coach another's. A very good coach is generally a very good coach wherever he goes.

I'd imagine he'll have about the same amount of responsibility on transfers as he did at Dortmund. From what I've read there isn't a whole lot of difference between approaches at clubs who have a director of football etc (rather than an all-powerful manager).

You're making a habit of responding to someone with a post whose tone suggests you're disagreeing with them but doesn't actually do so.

Max Power
09-10-2015, 01:14 PM
There was one quite bizarre criticism of Klopp in one paper saying "oh well at Dortmund he had world class players like Lewandowski, Gungogan, Hummels etc, he won't have that at Liverpool!!"

Ignoring the fact that these guys were nobodies/kids before Dortmund signed them and it's was Klopp who made them top players

But enough balance, let's have a lol at this: http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/10/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-manager-a-reaction/

Reg
09-10-2015, 01:32 PM
You're making a habit of responding to someone with a post whose tone suggests you're disagreeing with them but doesn't actually do so.
I think you're misreading Lewis' post actually.

John
09-10-2015, 01:36 PM
A better criticism would be that his first league win with Dortmund coincided with Bayern being a fucking shambles, and were it not for that fact his domestic CV wouldn't be much different to Brenda's. I wouldn't agree with it, and it wouldn't explain the European success, but at least there's an argument there and it doesn't completely ignore reality.

Reg
09-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Dortmund were a different stature of club to Liverpool, though. Also, in my opinion the season that Rodgers finished 2nd was the weakest Premier League for a long time. Lots of people have said there's been revisionism regarding how well Rodgers did that year, but I actually think the reverse in how people are calling that team outstanding etc. Their attack was brilliant, their defence mostly definitely wasn't. Klopp has won titles, a cup and reached a Champions League final. I don't think there's any comparison to be made really.

(I know you said you wouldn't agree with it.)

John
09-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Lewandowski, Reus, Gotze, Barrios, Subotic, Kagawa, Piszczek, Grosbkeuts, Perisic, and Gundogan were all signed after he became their coach, so I'm not sure where you got that parenthetical from.

Gotze was at Dortmund since he was nine, which was a huge deal when he went to Bayern. Grosskreutz was a youth player there too, Perisic was a childish twat who was rubbish and sold on for a tiny profit, and he brought Subotic with him from Mainz. Reus was also a Dortmund youth player who was punted for whatever reason and later signed for a large and avoidable fee. You haven't exactly picked out the cream of 'his' deals there.

I think you're misreading Lewis' post actually.

What do you think is being said there?

John
09-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Dortmund were a different stature of club to Liverpool, though. Also, in my opinion the season that Rodgers finished 2nd was the weakest Premier League for a long time. Lots of people have said there's been revisionism regarding how well Rodgers did that year, but I actually think the reverse in how people are calling that team outstanding etc. Their attack was brilliant, their defence mostly definitely wasn't. Klopp has won titles, a cup and reached a Champions League final. I don't think there's any comparison to be made really.

(I know you said you wouldn't agree with it.)

Again, you've started off with something that looks like it's going to address my post but then wanders off elsewhere, and ends by disagreeing with a comparison that was never made.

Reg
09-10-2015, 01:50 PM
I think Lewis was suggesting that the signs aren't actually too good for him doing well at Liverpool. If not it was odd phrasing with the "So basically" and "Hmm".

I'm not fussed enough to draw this out though...

John
09-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Are you Dutch?

Reg
09-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Sigh. Can't believe you care this much. You spend 90% of your time on here correcting people and looking for anything to criticise.

John
09-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Odd that you think so now that I've criticised you, when before you were surprised that I had a bad word to say about anyone. Funny how that perception shifts.

You should also know that I don't care. I'm lolling at you for reading something wrong, taking it too seriously, and arguing against a point that wasn't made. It's what Harold does.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 02:06 PM

Reg
09-10-2015, 02:08 PM
What, your wdytoe list? You disliked/insulted most people on there, and now I've commented on how you criticise everyone ...

I'm bored of this but enjoy correcting another 20 posts today.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 02:12 PM

John
09-10-2015, 02:12 PM
There's no revisionism at all. Rodgers did very well. It's OK the likes of Gerrard coming out and stating otherwise but things like him slipping or Toure dropping four points in a week or so isn't stuff you can call Rodgers out on. The Premier League this season has just as much potential. This isn't an optimistic post thinking everything will be fine now Klopp is on board (I do not like this second coming shit, it was the same with the Dutch twat over the road) but...we get through the next four league games and still find ourselves 3/5 points adrift of top four then we're claiming it because by time the likes of Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea and co come to Anfield for the return fixture we should be much more in tune with Klopp's ideas.

Tottenham (a)
Southampton (h)
Chelsea (a)
Crystal Palace (h)
Man City (a)

After that?

Swansea (h)
Newcastle (a)
West Brom (h)
Watford (a)
Leicester (h)
Sunderland (a)

It has potential for a good campaign even if it has offered very little hope so far this season.

With Chelsea being a flask of piss and Spurs being Spurs, fourth is probably nailed on if you can put any sort of run together. I like the note of hesitancy in your optimism though, it makes a pleasant change to you lolling off any suggestion you weren't getting top four last season.

What, your wdytoe list? You disliked/insulted most people on there, and now I've commented on how you criticise everyone ...

I'm bored of this but enjoy correcting another 20 posts today.

I doubt it'll be twenty.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 02:14 PM

Toby
09-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Dortmund were a different stature of club to Liverpool, though.

Are/were they? They'd come off a bad season in the league (albeit with a cup final thrown in) but it's not like they're a bunch of nobodies. Their last league title was still more recent than Liverpool's, and as a side regularly getting an 80,000+ attendance it's not like you'd expect them to piss around in midtable for extended periods.

Boydy
09-10-2015, 02:22 PM
He looks like a very friendly life-sized cartoon cat who wants to give you a high five and teach you how to cross the road.
:D

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/oct/09/jurgen-klopp-arsene-wenger-liverpool-arsenal

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 02:25 PM

simon
09-10-2015, 02:25 PM
But enough balance, let's have a lol at this: http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/10/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-manager-a-reaction/

We’ve been getting told for 25 years now that we’re no longer a big club. That we’ve got no right to dream our dreams. Then periodically, we awaken, and shock the lot of them. Smack them all between the eyes. A treble here, a European Cup there. Almost the best league title-winning side of all time.

This is why, Boydy.

simon
09-10-2015, 02:27 PM
I'm reading on. He's just called him 'Shankly-esque'.

Wonderful.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 02:30 PM

niko_cee
09-10-2015, 02:31 PM
That article really is brilliant. How do people come across that kind of shite?

He walks home after the match, alone with his thoughts and his ruck sack

Dead within a month.

Toby
09-10-2015, 02:32 PM
In the interest of fairness, the season before Liverpool won the Champions League, Dortmund had to borrow money from Bayern to stay afloat, no? 80,000+ attendances or not, that's an unsettling position to be in. To go from that to Champions League finalists yourself in the space of a decade is a remarkable achievement.

That's not got much to do with their stature, plenty of big clubs have been mismanaged financially. They'd largely come out the other side of that by the time Klopp took over, so if anything it makes it sort of facile to look at the poor performances in the seasons preceding him.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 02:33 PM

Lewis
09-10-2015, 02:38 PM
My point, Reggie, was that 'Brendan' was doing a good job when he had the players, so it was pointless sacking him if they're going to continue signing every middling player available.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 02:49 PM

John
09-10-2015, 02:51 PM
You could have done if you'd bought someone other than Mario Balotelli, who the entire world could see would be shite, to fill the gap.

Jimmy Floyd
09-10-2015, 02:52 PM
There was one quite bizarre criticism of Klopp in one paper saying "oh well at Dortmund he had world class players like Lewandowski, Gungogan, Hummels etc, he won't have that at Liverpool!!"

Ignoring the fact that these guys were nobodies/kids before Dortmund signed them and it's was Klopp who made them top players

I give Arsenal wankers shit, but realistically this sentimental Liverpool shite blows it out of the water. I love a bit of creative writing on sport but the Liverpool paean is just a bollocks genre.

Lewis
09-10-2015, 02:54 PM
This is incorrect. Rodgers would probably still be at the club if he hadn't lost Sturridge through injury on top of Suarez leaving. Contrary to popular belief it wasn't all down to Suarez, we'd have coped with his loss but not losing your two main goalscorers.

I said 'sold/injured' in the original post to include Sturridge as well. I think it's a genuinely harsh sacking.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 03:02 PM

P_3
09-10-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm looking forward to what someone other than Rodgers can do with the team tactically. Was getting bored with the 5 at the back, yet still conceding goals stuff.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 03:44 PM

QE Harold Flair
09-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Being a pedantic twat is also a Harold trait. KUTGW.

I'm the one often battling against pedantic twats, like John.

Smiffy
09-10-2015, 04:32 PM

QE Harold Flair
09-10-2015, 04:33 PM
I don't care.

mikem
09-10-2015, 07:58 PM
I agree, but there's more chance of Gerry Marsden doing a celebratory collaboration album with Kraftwerk than there is of a group of Americans with a multi-million dollar financial stake in something 'backing off and letting x do as he thinks right'.

Yup, Americans never do that:

Brin and Page, Bezoz, Gates, Zuckerberg, Milkin, Omidyar, Ellison, Noyce, Grove, Moore, Jobs, Lerner, Bosac, Goldman, Sachs, Walton, Dimon, Theil, Hilton, Dell, Lauren, Knight, Hurley, Ross & Hyatt, Stoppelman & Simmons, Levins, Sotira, or Mozillo .... oh, and Henry too.

all say "hi".

Reg
09-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Chelsea can tweet an update from their under 18s game and within a minute, it will have hundreds of retweets and tens of replies from people saying SELL IVANOVIC NOW and BUY MESSI AND POGBA. It's mental.
You've got to factor in the proportion of kids and teenagers (I'd think a big majority). Some of them, especially if they're 11 or whatever, probably think real life is Fifa 16. If they can buy Messi and Pogba, and Ivanovic is only a '76' rating that week, then of course it should happen.

GS
09-10-2015, 08:31 PM
There's a culture of 'exceptionalism' with some Liverpool fans that I can't abide. It's not 1984 any more, lads.

Reg
09-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Klopp: "I am not the guy who is going to go out and shout: ‘We are going to conquer the world!’ or something like this. But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time. We will chase the ball. We will run more, fight more."

He's going to be great. :drool:

Pretty comprehensive report on his first press conference: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/09/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-manager-lays-down-law-anfield

Jimmy Floyd
09-10-2015, 11:09 PM
If there's anything that sets the Germans apart, it's their fascination with English swearing. I came across one once who used 'fucking shit' as a placeholder in most sentences; cf. 'Why don't we go to the pub and all of that fucking shit'.

ItalAussie
09-10-2015, 11:11 PM
My favourite line is this one:

Almost the best league title-winning side of all time.

How does the almost modify the sentence here? They almost won, and if they had won it'd have been the best side of all time? But they didn't, so it isn't, and it wasn't even the best side in the league over the season. What a peculiar sentence.

Lewis
09-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Yeah. Strategic swearing stops being cool when you're eleven. I bet he sits on the desk and lets the players call him 'Jurgen' as well.

'Oh, hey... "Mr Klopp"? I thought my father had walked in yeah fuck man!'

Danny
10-10-2015, 12:49 AM
My favourite line is this one:

How does the almost modify the sentence here? They almost won, and if they had won it'd have been the best side of all time? But they didn't, so it isn't, and it wasn't even the best side in the league over the season. What a peculiar sentence.

I stopped at that line. As Simon said, thats where the mocking comes from.

Spoonsky
10-10-2015, 01:34 AM
Gotze was at Dortmund since he was nine, which was a huge deal when he went to Bayern. Grosskreutz was a youth player there too, Perisic was a childish twat who was rubbish and sold on for a tiny profit, and he brought Subotic with him from Mainz. Reus was also a Dortmund youth player who was punted for whatever reason and later signed for a large and avoidable fee. You haven't exactly picked out the cream of 'his' deals there.

You're right about Gotze, though you could argue that he wasn't promoted to the first team until Klopp took over. Grosskreutz was a youth player but then moved to a second division team and not resigned until Klopp took over. Can't really argue about Perisic, all I really remember is his goal against Arsenal. I'd say that the point about Subotic actually makes Klopp seem more responsible for it (and it looks like Subotic may want to follow him again to Liverpool).

But even if you don't count all the ones you mentioned, it's still nonsense to say that he didn't build the team. He did.

John
10-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Gotze was about sixteen when Klopp took over. He was too young for the first team before that, and any suggestion that another manager wouldn't have spotted how good he was and brought him in will be lolled out of the room. I wasn't suggesting he wasn't responsible for the Subotic deal, in fact it's probably the only deal in his time there he originated, I was saying that bringing a player with him from his previous club doesn't necessarily showcase a great ability to spot a player. Brendan brought Joe Allan with him.

He didn't build the side, because he wasn't in charge of signing players. He formed the players he had into an excellent team and tended to improve any player he was working with, but he didn't 'build the team' in the way that a post about the transfers under his stewardship suggests he did.

Spoonsky
10-10-2015, 06:48 AM
I'll concede this one, given that the only link I found in my favor was from the Daily Mail.

Angelsaint
10-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Not good news for Mourinho. I think klopp never lost or almost never lost with Mourinho.

ItalAussie
10-10-2015, 08:31 AM
An interesting article: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/jurgen-klopp-liverpool/

The thing about going through life as a fiery emblem of struggle, though, is that you can only get away with it if you’re great or truly terrible. You have to suffer or you have to rise above suffering. Finish sixth in the Premier League enough times and your pose of heroic folk-agony starts to wear a bit thin.

Jeet
11-10-2015, 02:16 PM

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Fucking hell. :D

He's absolutely mental.

Lewis
11-10-2015, 02:18 PM
It's a lookalike. German humour.

John
11-10-2015, 02:19 PM
A new low.

Davgooner
Mate.

Yevrah
I'll get my coat.

SvN
I was a bit confused as it genuinely does look like him. But it's a famous (in Germany) impressionist.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 02:20 PM
He's very good.

Reg
11-10-2015, 04:12 PM
That was pretty great.

An interesting article: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/jurgen-klopp-liverpool/
Cheers, that was a good'un. I'm proper excited, however it may turn out.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 05:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-34499859

Are these genuine, or work of that chap on the last page?

Davgooner
11-10-2015, 05:24 PM
The second picture. Really?

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 05:28 PM
You tell me, I've no idea what to believe anymore.

Waffdon
11-10-2015, 05:44 PM
They're real.

niko_cee
11-10-2015, 05:51 PM
There's some kind of Ringu thing going on in that first picture.

Davgooner
11-10-2015, 05:54 PM
First one is certainly real. Fuck knows who the second guy is.

Smiffy
11-10-2015, 06:14 PM

Reg
11-10-2015, 09:03 PM
The Mail article, which Ital's link linked to, is quite interesting.

'I am heavily involved in the identification of players,' Rodgers said. 'The principle idea when I first came in was that, like any manager, I will have the first call on a player and the last call. We will never bring in a player who the manager does not want.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3260572/Liverpool-FC-transfer-committee-real-power-brokers-Jurgen-Klopp-work-make-Anfield-move.html

Shindig
11-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Alright, Andy Carroll's second spell is ON!

Gray Fox
11-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Juuuuurrrrrgen Klopp Klopp Klopp,
He’s the new king of the Kop,
Jurgen Klopp Klopp Klopp,
He will take us to the top,
Champions League, FA Cup,
He will win the f*****g lot,
With Jurgen Klopp Klopp Klopp,
He’s the new king of the Kop!

Make it happen!

This has some potential.

Boydy
11-10-2015, 09:44 PM
What's that meant to be to the tune of?

I like this one:

SvN
11-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Amazing that you ask what the tune of a different chant is, then make the same mistake with your own post.

Boydy
11-10-2015, 09:49 PM
It's in the youtube link in the tweet. Probably should have said that but I thought people would've clicked on it.

Gray Fox
11-10-2015, 09:49 PM
To the tune of Agado. Shame our next game isn't at home.

Jimmy Floyd
11-10-2015, 10:10 PM
It's a crying shame that we never had to opportunity to get 'Lukaku ku ku, he's as big as me and you' off the ground at Chelsea, and an even cryinger shame that our scouse and black country brethren have failed to do it too.

Gray Fox
11-10-2015, 10:16 PM
The Everton fans are busy producing that constant mid-level bitter seethe that you can hear at all their games.

Davgooner
12-10-2015, 07:12 AM
Everton have donned it recently with chants, to be fair. They've made Liverpool look like right wankers.

Magic
18-10-2015, 09:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vj_5rSTSuA&feature=youtu.be

Jesus.

Embedded. on PC now.

Yevrah
18-10-2015, 09:16 PM
The unexpected "we will win the fucking lot" genuinely made me lol.

GS
18-10-2015, 09:18 PM
I can never get through watching a video like that without having to turn it off.

Lewis
18-10-2015, 09:24 PM
King Ken-ny-ny-ny
Thrives on grief and misery
King Ken-ny-ny-ny
Like the whole locality

Giggles
18-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Just watching his spritely face and demeanour on the post match interview on match of the day last night, one can't help but think how broken he'll look in 2 years when the English press have been at him like rabid dogs.

Yevrah
18-10-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm sure they'll stop for the Klopp... :rosebud:

mugbull
18-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Klopp can handle himself guaranteed. He's a strong, strong man with an unbreakable will.

Giggles
18-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Klopp can handle himself guaranteed. He's a strong, strong man with an unbreakable will.

Wrong forum m8.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/

mugbull
18-10-2015, 10:14 PM
He also looks exactly like my father. Little-known fact.