PDA

View Full Version : Non-League Day

Benny
07-10-2015, 11:29 AM
http://www.nonleagueday.co.uk/

Non-League Day was set up by James Doe in 2010 as a social media experiment, after being inspired by a pre-season trip to Devon to watch Queens Park Rangers play at Tavistock. It has now grown to become an annual part of the football calendar, backed by Premier League and Football League clubs, MPs, celebrities, media organisations, charities and most importantly the non-league clubs themselves and the fans who turn up on the day.

Always scheduled to coincide with an international break, Non-League Day provides a platform for clubs to promote the importance of affordable volunteer led community football while giving fans across the country the chance to show support for their local non-league side.

Many non-league clubs are almost exclusively volunteer run, with money taken at the turnstiles often funding thriving youth set-ups, projects and facilities which are of benefit to the whole community. The level of skill on offer at non-league grounds will never compare to that at the Emirates Stadium or Old Trafford, for example, but there are other sides to the experience, from which the smaller club will always win hands down. The vast majority of games still kick off at 3pm, ticket prices are realistic, you can often stand (and drink!) anywhere in the ground and will always be guaranteed a warm welcome by people who run their clubs for a love of the game.

Whether you’re a Premier League or Championship fan without a game, a League One or League Two supporter who can’t make an away trip, or just someone who is curious about what their local club has to offer, there is sure to be something to interest everyone.

Any of you bothering this Saturday? I think I'll make the effort and brave the weather for it.

Magic
07-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Is it on Sky?

SvN
07-10-2015, 11:39 AM
I'm visiting a friend for his 30th, or I'd consider it. Eastleigh are away, but I could've gone to AFC Totton I guess. I said I'd go to a few Eastleigh games when I moved here, but it hasn't happened yet.

Lee
07-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Non-league football is great. I love going to Hinckley games. Unfortunately they're now on a long run of away games so I won't get there much between now and Christmas.

Benny
07-10-2015, 11:50 AM
I think it's a good laugh if you can, I've been called a weirdo by my girlfriend for stopping on a Sunday morning and giving the games a watch, but there's something about football below the professional level that appeals to me.

Dover are playing but I object to their ridiculous prices, however there's a good selection to choose from apart from that. Margate are in the FA Cup against Truro, Ramsgate, Hythe and Herne Bay are playing at home in the Ryman.

phonics
07-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I tried to do it once and they wanted twenty five of my hard earned pounds. I went to the Cinema for half that instead.

Lee
07-10-2015, 11:55 AM
£25 for a non-league game? Fucking hell. I pay a fiver to get in at Hinckley. Even when the old club was up in the Conference North it was only a tenner.

phonics
07-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Maybe it was 20. Definitely was twice whatever the Cinema cost.

Davgooner
07-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Sadly, Nuneaton are away.

SvN
07-10-2015, 12:05 PM
£18 on the day at Eastleigh. Are they having a laugh?

Benny
07-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Dover are £15 and even shitty nearby Deal Town FC are charging £7, it's pretty farcial the price they ask at some clubs.

I think that's half the problem with low attendances at non-league level, the money doesn't filter down correctly so you're paying half the price for not even a fraction of the quality or experience of a real league club.

Jimmy Floyd
07-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Eastleigh are at the top end of the Conference iirc, it's not some pub team. £18 seems reasonable.

Spammer
07-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Looked into going to Guiseley when I lived up there and they were trying to charge £12 for a ticket. Fuck that.

My parents live walking distance from Sheffield FC (THE FIRST AND OLDEST CLUB IN THE WORLD), which I really should have taken advantage of when I still lived back there.

Smiffy
07-10-2015, 12:26 PM

Magic
07-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Closest match is 45 miles away, so no.

Benny
07-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Have you checked to see if they're on Sky?

Magic
07-10-2015, 12:56 PM
BT Sport Non-League HD 1.

Lee
07-10-2015, 01:53 PM
There are some right tight bastards in this thread.

SvN
07-10-2015, 01:56 PM
There are some right tight bastards in this thread.

I went to watch Villa a couple of years ago and that cost me £27 on the day. How is £18 for 4 divisions lower even close to reasonable?

Benny
07-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Hythe are having £1 entry for their game, guess I know where I'm going :cool:

Benny
07-10-2015, 01:58 PM
I went to watch Villa a couple of years ago and that cost me £27 on the day. How is £18 for 4 divisions lower even close to reasonable?

Europa League and Carling Cup games at Spurs are £20-25, £18 isn't a reasonable sum for Conference level whatsoever.

Magic
07-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Two small shit no mark clubs? I'd say its Spurs who are being unreasonable there.

Lee
07-10-2015, 02:06 PM

It isn't a bad standard of football and the price is never going to be relative to the quality of football on display anyway. At that level it's about what is needed to keep the club running. It's more of a rip off to pay twice that for top flight football where gate receipts have almost no impact of how well a club can run given that they're all in a shitload of debt and are built on television money.

Anyway, I was more referring to somebody whingeing at paying £12 to watch Guiseley. They're a good Conference North side, that's the kind of price I'd be expecting.

SvN
07-10-2015, 02:09 PM
I'd happily pay a tenner. But non-league clubs can't complain about attendances if they're not offering a reasonably priced product (and that's what it is, whether we like it or not).

I used to watch tons of non-league football with my dad when I was a kid - at least one match a week. But you can guarantee that wouldn't be happening at £18 a pop.

Fuck me, I used to pay £7 to occasionally watch Walsall when I was about 14.

SvN
07-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Fucking hell, even Walsall are charging £21.50 for an adult ticket. I'm clearly out of touch with anything non-United related.

Bob Sacamano
07-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Think I'll get down to Solihull Moors vs Worcester City, only £10 too.

Lee
07-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Match day tickets are expensive almost everywhere now. My season ticket at Leicester works out as £31 per game which I think is too much, but then I'm hooked now and thus part of the problem. On a one off basis I'd be happier paying that for a non-league game because of where the money goes.

When I paid a tenner for a coach to watch Hinckley away a few weeks back I knew the money was going straight into stuff like the player of the month award and players' wages. I don't have a clue where my money goes at Leicester but it's likely some unsavoury cunt is profiting from it which I know doesn't happen at Hinckley.

Samadini
08-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Gateshead have reduced their prices for the day to £10, whilst North Shields are charging Newcastle season ticket holders £1 to go and watch them.

I've got a free weekend so I could probably go and watch Harrow, not arsed at all though.

Nick
08-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Our lot are tight-fisted cunts and are basically doing fuck all. Free if you're in fancy dress, which they know no-one will do anyway, and £5 admission if you are a season ticket holder at any Premier League or Championship club.

Does help that we're playing Hayes and Yeading. Non-League Day or not, I'll be amazed if the attendance in 300+, especially given recent home form.

It's always the ACTUAL fans that get nothing from Non-League Day.

Sam
09-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Might go down to the New Lane to see Forest Green as Cheltenham and Gloucester are currently away from home.