PDA

View Full Version : Do we live in a golden age of television?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-03-2016, 09:48 PM
The character is supposed to be Greek but as you say, christ knows what accent she was doing.

Giggles
21-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Isn't she French?

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-03-2016, 10:24 PM
Isn't she French?

The actress is (she was born there and her mother is French but her Dad is from Cambodia) but Elektra is Greek. However, during the series the accent is all over the fucking shop.

Jeet
21-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Elektra is so fit! She looks like my ex :(

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-03-2016, 10:58 PM
I'm sure she does, if you squint hard enough that is.

Ian
21-03-2016, 11:27 PM
And now I'm done with Parks and Recreation. That last season is wildly inconsistent and the last episode in particular I thought was generally disappointing with a few nice moments (Ron's job being one of them), feeling like a clip/flashback show in reverse. And those episodes are always terrible.

Still, it gave us possibly my favourite episode they've ever done so I shan't complain.

John
22-03-2016, 12:22 AM
Favourite being Ron and Leslie? That was just delightful.

Outside of that episode the best moments in the final season were all throwaway joke, but that one episode basically justified the whole thing.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-03-2016, 12:37 AM
Archer is back in just over a week \0/.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduNLbufPJpJzmSY/giphy.gif

http://i.imgur.com/vOlkNiZ.gif

Alan Shearer The 2nd
22-03-2016, 01:26 AM
I put The Office on in the background the other day and I've found myself watching the whole thing again. The writing is second to none.

Big Keith gets me every time-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsfzJXGAo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkYUDQCYGHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTF_RJx8g2w

ItalAussie
22-03-2016, 02:32 AM
Favourite being Ron and Leslie? That was just delightful.

Outside of that episode the best moments in the final season were all throwaway joke, but that one episode basically justified the whole thing.
Exactly that. It was probably the "true" dramatic finale of the season/series. Everything after that was kind of epiloguey, and you got the feeling it was just tying up all the loose ends.

Raoul Duke
22-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Keith from the Office appeared on my 'people you may know' thing on Facebook the other day. So somehow we have a friend in common :D

John Arne
22-03-2016, 07:11 AM
What the hell is the problem with US schedulers??

Brooklyn Nine Nine started on September 27th, 2015... it had a two week break at the start of October, another at the end of October, another at the end of November, another in the middle of January, another at the beginning of March one in the middle of March... what is the point? Surely they can't be chasing viewing figures this sporadically?

Shindig
22-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Is it on one of those channels deep into election coverage?

John Arne
22-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Could be. Still, B99 > US Elections.

John
25-03-2016, 11:15 PM
I had a look at Craig Ferguson's new thing earlier and the only conclusion to be drawn from it is that he made a huge error leaving that late night show he was doing. He's now doing a twenty minute 'debate' show on the History channel and it's fucking atrocious. Worth watching once just to appreciate what a throbber he is for binning his old job.

Giggles
26-03-2016, 06:11 AM
3 episodes into series one of Fargo and it's absolutely crap.

phonics
26-03-2016, 10:23 AM
It's a coen brothers project. Of course it's wank.

Giggles
26-03-2016, 10:25 AM
It's a coen brothers project. Of course it's wank.

To be honest I never knew that and it would probably have been enough to make me avoid it altogether.

ItalAussie
26-03-2016, 10:38 AM
What the hell is the problem with US schedulers??

Brooklyn Nine Nine started on September 27th, 2015... it had a two week break at the start of October, another at the end of October, another at the end of November, another in the middle of January, another at the beginning of March one in the middle of March... what is the point? Surely they can't be chasing viewing figures this sporadically?

It's really annoying. Bob's Burgers has been all over the place as well.

John
26-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Fargo is great. And it's not a Coen Brothers project, they're listed as producers in return for their blessing but they're not actually involved.

Max Power
26-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Oh thank god, I might watch it now those talentless hacks the Coens aren't involved.

SvN
26-03-2016, 11:15 AM
I feel like there's an inside joke that I'm missing out on.

Giggles
26-03-2016, 11:20 AM
I feel like there's an inside joke that I'm missing out on.

I'm sort of getting the feeling Max is related to them.

Kikó
26-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Fargo is worth watching.

Giggles
26-03-2016, 11:34 AM
I thought so too, but I think 3 episodes was a fair shot. I'm still going to give the second series a go though seeing as the stories aren't related.

John
28-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Watched an episode of Black Sails earlier. It's fairly standard piratey fare, but I might watch more of it for the sake of the woman who plays Max, who is extraordinary.

Jessica Parker Kennedy. :drool:

Alan Shearer The 2nd
28-03-2016, 06:17 PM
3 episodes into series one of Fargo and it's absolutely crap.

It's one of the best shows there's been in recent years. Season 2 pips the first.

Giggles
28-03-2016, 06:23 PM
It's one of the best shows there's been in recent years. Season 2 pips the first.

I won't be watching any more of the first series but I'll give the second a go this week as I'm off work for the week and there's not much else drawing me in.

Boydy
28-03-2016, 07:19 PM
I started watching The Night Manager. I'm quite enjoying it. Haven't read the book so not sure how it matches up with that which I saw some of you complaining about.

Angelsaint
28-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Watched legends of tomorrow and it could be so much better. The American propaganda + obvious ends kill the show. Still I follow it week after week. I can only explain because of my man crush on Wentworth Miller. He is so hypnotizing gorgeous.
Impossible not wanting to see that man again. He must be the most gorgeous man on earth.

Boydy
29-03-2016, 02:22 PM
I started watching The Night Manager. I'm quite enjoying it. Haven't read the book so not sure how it matches up with that which I saw some of you complaining about.
Finished it. That was great. I might read some le Carré books now.

Boydy
29-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Cheers boydbro. I'll neg you to fuck if it's shite.

Did you watch Broad City yet?

Magic
29-03-2016, 02:28 PM
So Catastrophe is now owned exclusively by Amazon Prime in America. Channel 4 hasn't made a decision on it yet over here for Season 3. Fucking wank.

Giggles
30-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Last night's Brooklyn Nine Nine was a bit strange.

I fully expected the Pimento FBI hitman to be a bachelor party setup game all along

Looks like it may be the new long arc story replacing Wuntch/Giggle Pig.

Spikey M
30-03-2016, 10:09 PM
I've just finished watching Breaking Bad and thought it was fantastic. It's betweem Sons of Anarchy, Peaky Blinders and Narcos for my next binge. Opinions?

John
30-03-2016, 11:10 PM
Last night's Brooklyn Nine Nine was a bit strange.

I fully expected the Pimento FBI hitman to be a bachelor party setup game all along

Looks like it may be the new long arc story replacing Wuntch/Giggle Pig.

That's sort of the problem with the whole Pimento thing. It just doesn't fit the tone at all.

I thought that episode was genuinely crap, probably the first bad episode they've done. It took two good ideas from Parks and managed to make both seem cheap and shit.

I've just finished watching Breaking Bad and thought it was fantastic. It's betweem Sons of Anarchy, Peaky Blinders and Narcos for my next binge. Opinions?

Sons of Anarchy gets rave reviews but I thought it went very quickly to shit after the second season. Couldn't get into Peaky Blinders at all. Narcos is good.

Have you seen The Americans?

Giggles
30-03-2016, 11:13 PM
That's sort of the problem with the whole Pimento thing. It just doesn't fit the tone at all.

I thought that episode was genuinely crap, probably the first bad episode they've done. It took two good ideas from Parks and managed to make both seem cheap and shit.

I was really hoping from the first introduction that Pimento wasn't going to be a permanent fixture.

Definitely wasn't a good episode. Series on the whole has been weak in comparison to what went before but that was as bad as it's been. I think it was wullie said it before too, bit it's at it's best in episodes based around a case.

Boydy
30-03-2016, 11:42 PM
I really like Jason Mantzoukas even if Adrian Pimento is basically the same character as Rafi from The League.

Spikey M - yeah, get on the Americans. Or Orphan Black. It's brilliant. Season 4 starts on April 14 phonics. :drool:

Sir Andy Mahowry
31-03-2016, 01:18 AM
Watched an episode of Black Sails earlier. It's fairly standard piratey fare, but I might watch more of it for the sake of the woman who plays Max, who is extraordinary.

It's decent enough during the first season but the second season is brilliant and the third isn't too shabby either.

Giggles
31-03-2016, 08:15 AM
Was finally getting round to starting series 2 of Fargo and the fucking thing isn't on Netflix :moop:

Spikey M
31-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Is The Americans on Netflix? If not where could I watch it? We binned Sky.

Bernanke
31-03-2016, 12:15 PM

All 3 seasons on Swedish Netflix at least.

Alex
31-03-2016, 06:11 PM
I've watched a couple of episodes of Flaked on Netflix. It's inoffensive and entertaining enough I suppose, in a mildly watchable sort of way. I'm just having a hard time buying into the premise though. Man in his mid-forties, acting like he's in his twenties and talking like he's a teenager just hanging around all day doing nothing. It all just seems a bit sad. Yet he's somehow managed to effortlessly get himself stuck between two very attractive women who are seemingly about half his age.

It's basically a slacker re-hash of Californication I suppose. Duchovny had a lot more about him though. Hank Moody wasn't a mopey, hipster drip and his exploits were at least semi-believable. I don't think Arnett really fits the role he's playing.

Alex
31-03-2016, 06:14 PM

Amazon Prime have got it in the UK I believe, Spikey. The first two seasons anyway.

Boydy
01-04-2016, 07:41 PM
Someone give me a new show to watch. Something with plenty of action or plenty of plot twists and turns.

phonics
01-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Have you watched Person of Interest yet, you bastard?

Plough through the first season knowing it's not great because the rest of it is a million times better than anything Mr. Robot does.

White Collar is fun if you like con man capers, it's a complete rip off of that English show but done with a budget and far more compelling actors.

Giggles
01-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Someone give me a new show to watch. Something with plenty of action or plenty of plot twists and turns.

Download Southland if you haven't seen it. Maybe not big on twists and turns and it's olf, but it's still the best thing I've seen in a long time.
Must watch it again soon myself.

John
01-04-2016, 08:05 PM
White Collar is bilge. If you're after that sort of quirky caper nonsense then Leverage is what you want.

Underground is incredibly promising, Boyd. It's only four episodes in so not something you'll be able to whizz through, but you've got to admire the balls it takes to embark upon a Prison Break style show set in a cotton plantation and the skill it to have it not be blisteringly offensive.

Boydy
01-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Have you watched Person of Interest yet, you bastard?

Plough through the first season knowing it's not great because the rest of it is a million times better than anything Mr. Robot does.

No. Did you mention it before? What's it about?

Also saying the first season isn't great isn't going to entice me much.

Boydy
01-04-2016, 08:09 PM
White Collar is bilge. If you're after that sort of quirky caper nonsense then Leverage is what you want.

Underground is incredibly promising, Boyd. It's only four episodes in so not something you'll be able to whizz through, but you've got to admire the balls it takes to embark upon a Prison Break style show set in a cotton plantation and the skill it to have it not be blisteringly offensive.

I saw that on Kodi and thought it sounded like an interesting idea but I think I'll wait until more than four episodes are out before I start it.

John
01-04-2016, 08:11 PM
A machine spits out the social security numbers of people about to be involved in crime, and a reclusive billionaire teams up with a special forces wrecking ball to stop that crime.

I'll let Phonics fill you in on the many great parallels to actual surveillance shittery. I didn't last long with it.

Boydy
01-04-2016, 08:20 PM
Sounds like a shit Minority Report.

Also, I see they've made a TV show of Rush Hour. Jesus christ.

Giggles
01-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a shit Minority Report.

Also, I see they've made a TV show of Rush Hour. Jesus christ.

The ads are on E4 all week for it. Looks horrendous.

John
01-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Fox are doing a Lethal Weapon TV show with Damon Wayans in the Danny Glover role. I think I only watch Brooklyn Nine Nine of their output, so unfortunately I might have to boycott that in protest.

Boydy
01-04-2016, 08:29 PM
How does something like Rush Hour or Lethal Weapon even work as a TV show?

Bernanke
01-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Archer is back. :drool:

Giggles
01-04-2016, 08:58 PM

I'd say we're about to find out that they don't.

Ian
01-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Fox are doing a Lethal Weapon TV show with Damon Wayans in the Danny Glover role. I think I only watch Brooklyn Nine Nine of their output, so unfortunately I might have to boycott that in protest.

I fucking love Lethal Weapon, all the way up to the third one which as we know is the last one they made, so that news about Murtaugh disgusted me.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Archer is back. :drool:

With a cracking opener too.

John
01-04-2016, 09:16 PM

It's just the odd couple detectives. Take the central dynamic and plug it into a load of generic crimes in such a way that the dynamic somehow leads to the answer.

Fox in particular are churning those things out at an alarming rate. The other week they started a program where the devil, the actual figurehead of hell, is a hedonistic nightclub owner in Los Angeles and by the end of the first episode he'd teamed up with a policewoman to solve a murder.

Boydy
01-04-2016, 09:30 PM
I've decided I'm going to watch The Killing. I loved The Bridge so I'm hoping it'll be pretty similar.

I was also considering The Wire and The Shield as I've been meaning to watch both of those for ages but I can't find them online. I specifically want the remastered version of The Wire because those black bars down the side because of the 4:3 aspect ratio of the original piss me off. Do people not really do torrents much any more? There seems to be piss all on pirate bay.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-04-2016, 09:35 PM
I'd invite you to BTN but I have no invites, sorry.

Also, the original version or the American? I've watched the American version and I'd recommend that you give it a miss, it's pretty fucking shit.

Boydy
01-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Original.

Angelsaint
01-04-2016, 09:54 PM
I've decided I'm going to watch The Killing. I loved The Bridge so I'm hoping it'll be pretty similar.

I was also considering The Wire and The Shield as I've been meaning to watch both of those for ages but I can't find them online. I specifically want the remastered version of The Wire because those black bars down the side because of the 4:3 aspect ratio of the original piss me off. Do people not really do torrents much any more? There seems to be piss all on pirate bay.

The wire is without a doubt the best show ever. Anyone but anyone disagreeing deserves to be shot at sight.

John
02-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Banshee is back. :drool:

Ian
02-04-2016, 08:16 PM
The Shield is also fucking excellent Boydy so it'll be well worth your time getting on that.

Angelsaint
03-04-2016, 07:30 AM
Started Lucifer and is showing potential.

John
03-04-2016, 09:15 AM
I watched the first episode of Lucifer a while ago, and it's fucking shite. Embarrassingly bad.

Banshee is off to a strange start. They're doing a sort of flashback structure and they've sidelined their best character for the moment.

Angelsaint
03-04-2016, 09:22 AM
I do admit I have a crush for charismatic arrogant bad guys but I think It was good for a pilot. What you saw That was so bad?

John
03-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Everything. The only redeeming feature was a decent central performance. I had a lol at the concept in post 1317, so I'll leave that for now.

It was laughably predictable, the dialogue was terrible, and the characters were all cardboard cutouts with one exception.

Baz
03-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Its also so weird seeing all these half-famous actors like that in it. The other day I watched an episode in season 3 with Jack Black and Giovanni Ribisi in it being all young and, in fairness, the same as they always turned out to be :cab:Watched this one tonight. The episode after it (with the funny psychic and the murderer who is the spitting image of Hammerstein) is absolutely awesome. :hail:

Pepe
03-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Cooked is quite good. The second episode is subpar, but the other three are very enjoyable.

ItalAussie
04-04-2016, 12:05 AM
With a cracking opener too.It was really top-notch. I"m glad they're back doing proper spy stuff.

Apparently this is a four-episode+ arc, which should be fun.

The Merse
04-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Amazon Prime have got it in the UK I believe, Spikey. The first two seasons anyway.

Recently downloaded all these through Prime and was massively impressed given that I went into it with serious reservations. Is it worth shelling out for the third season or does it all go a bit Dexter with dragging out the prospect of the kid finding out about their aliases?

John
04-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Watching this new ITV drama from the The Bridge people and while it's reasonably intriguing and well played, Anna Friel has had an appallingly bad cosmetic procedure done that's stealing every scene.

Yevrah
04-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Is it as bad as Leslie Ash's?

John
04-04-2016, 08:57 PM
It's not a trout pout situation, her top lip is just completely immobile, protrudes a bit too much, and looks a bit scabby.

She used to be lovely too.

Alex
05-04-2016, 01:28 AM
Recently downloaded all these through Prime and was massively impressed given that I went into it with serious reservations. Is it worth shelling out for the third season or does it all go a bit Dexter with dragging out the prospect of the kid finding out about their aliases?

No, the third season is well worth it. The fourth has started well, too. Definitely keep going.

Angelsaint
05-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Watched another Gotham episode and don't get why it got so much pepper from y'all. I dare to say it is the best TV show running at the moment.

Bernanke
05-04-2016, 08:14 AM

The third season is generally regarded as the best by far.

The Merse
05-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Cheers lads. Will be on it when payday rolls around then.

Alex
05-04-2016, 07:40 PM

I've watched four episodes of this after noticing it on Amazon Prime. I'm not sure whether to carry on or not. The story telling is a bit all over the place at the moment, but hopefully settles down. The episodes feel too long a lot of the time too. It's a bit of a slog an hour at a time. I probably will give it a bit longer, seeing as Mahow says it gets better. Plus, you know, pirates. Pirates are great.

Jimmy Floyd
06-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Since we don't seem to have a general TV thread anymore and it would be deeply inappropriate to put it in the working class TV thread, has anyone been watching this series of Stewart Lee? Most of it I think has been brilliant, but in this last one ('Migrants') when he's going on about the food on Rod Liddle I had to hold my hands up and say I had absolutely no idea what he's on about.

Giggles
06-04-2016, 05:22 PM
Since we don't seem to have a general TV thread anymore and it would be deeply inappropriate to put it in the working class TV thread, has anyone been watching this series of Stewart Lee? Most of it I think has been brilliant, but in this last one ('Migrants') when he's going on about the food on Rod Liddle I had to hold my hands up and say I had absolutely no idea what he's on about.

If I to put the Simpsons in the shite thread then Stewart Lee goes in there too. He barely even qualifies that highly.

Jimmy Floyd
06-04-2016, 05:24 PM
If you've ever seen Stewart Lee then you'll know that half his act is wanking on basically about how he belongs in this thread and not that one, so it's only fair.

John
06-04-2016, 05:33 PM

Did we ever have a general TV thread?

I watched the first couple but haven't got round to the latest one yet. He seems to be going big on the 'everyone watching is a twat' stuff this series, and it very quickly becomes hard work when he starts that. The Graham Norton stuff was absolutely brilliant though.

Giggles
06-04-2016, 05:34 PM
We had one on the old board which was basically for anything thay wasn't one of the big American series that went in the Golden Age thread. The closest we have here is the Reality and Shite one.

John
06-04-2016, 05:35 PM
We had that 'TV Guide' thread which served the same purpose the other one here is now.

Also, who told you you had to put The Simpsons in the other one?

Giggles
06-04-2016, 05:36 PM
We had that 'TV Guide' thread which served the same purpose the other one here is now.

Also, who told you you had to put The Simpsons in the other one?

I was sure I'd have got a telling off if I put it in the 'good' tv thread. You specifically sprang to mind :D

Plus it was more about the screen format rather than content.

John
06-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Another example of you imagining snobbery where none exists, then. The Simpsons is brilliant.

Giggles
06-04-2016, 05:51 PM
Second point still stands though, and we don't have a technical TV thread.

Ian
06-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Dunno when I last watched a new episode of the Simpsons. Good three of four years, I'd say.

Giggles
06-04-2016, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure what changed or what stopped getting shown elsewhere but it seems to be on in our house a lot more lately.

Boydy
07-04-2016, 11:05 PM
The Killing is great. Cliffhangers at the end of every episode though. I always want to watch another. It's midnight and I'm quite tired and have been all day but I want to watch another one and tomorrow is Friday. Ugh, I'm definitely gonna watch another one.

Sir Andy Mahowry
07-04-2016, 11:10 PM
Odds on Boydy pulling a Yev and watching all of it before going to bed?

John
07-04-2016, 11:15 PM
I turned the latest episode of Brooklyn off halfway through. This arc is not good.

Boydy
07-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Odds on Boydy pulling a Yev and watching all of it before going to bed?

No chance. I'd fall asleep at some point. Might even fall asleep during this next one.

Boydy
07-04-2016, 11:30 PM
My internet died so that must be a sign I should go to bed.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-04-2016, 12:41 AM
This weeks episode of The Americans :|

I thought that Oleg's Dad saying he'd 'sort it' meant Nina would die but I did not expect it to happen like that or even in this episode.

I think the whole episode was brilliant (I really liked Philip's admission to William) and the ending was just executed so damn well.

Easily one of the best episodes of the show (I think season 2's finale is probably my favourite) too.

Alex
08-04-2016, 10:32 AM
This weeks episode of The Americans :|

I thought that Oleg's Dad saying he'd 'sort it' meant Nina would die but I did not expect it to happen like that or even in this episode.

I think the whole episode was brilliant (I really liked Philip's admission to William) and the ending was just executed so damn well.

Easily one of the best episodes of the show (I think season 2's finale is probably my favourite) too.

"Your sentence will be carried out.....shortly......"

*BANG*

:|

Brutal.

Boydy
08-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Saw Mahow's post earlier but didn't click the spoiler. Spent most of the episode thinking

Elizabeth was going to die. Was a bit confused when she didn't. Then that. Jesus.

Giggles
08-04-2016, 06:25 PM
I turned the latest episode of Brooklyn off halfway through. This arc is not good.

I thought it was far from the worst in this series, but I hope they don't drag this out for the duration of it.

SvN
08-04-2016, 07:12 PM
I watched the US version of The Killing and thought it was alright. Does the original have the same story?

Boydy
08-04-2016, 07:26 PM
I have no idea.

Alex
11-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Black Sails got really good towards the end of the first season (last two episodes were ace, mainly because they actually started doing some pirate-y stuff) so I've ploughed through into season two. Hopefully it keeps up the good work.

John
11-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Marcella continues to be impenetrable yet intriguing, and Anna Friel's cosmetic surgery continues to steal the show.

A scene featuring a camwhore being threatened has just drawn the comment 'imagine doing that as a job, her heating bill must be sky high' from my gran. Spot on, gran.

phonics
14-04-2016, 06:46 PM
It's weird, I've now caught up with Quantico (the show that I mentioned was Saved By The Bell meets Weekly Cop Show) and it's SO much better since the break. Every episode deals with the characters struggles in a much more intelligent way. There's far less emphasis on the training stuff being involved with people making out, it has emotion without being Glee meets the FBI. I can only hope they end this series well and then end it, and since that's never happening I can only hope that everything wraps up nicely and we end up moving onto a different generation of agents or something. For once I doff my hat to the schedulers as I'd never have lasted 23 episodes of it's first run.

This story is working perfectly towards a climax with you never knowing who the bad guy is and once they reveal it, it'll become the most boring "I WAS A GREAT AGENT AND THE FBI SCREWED ME" (it's clearly an insider, but who and for what is always a good plotline) good cop / bad cop thing that every show does.

edit: Although one character is probably the least convincing autist you've ever seen. His act seems to be appearing gormless and out of breath and then saying everything as quickly as possible. It's terrible even though the base character is interesting.

Boydy
15-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Orphan Black is back!

phonics

phonics
15-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Orphan Black is back!

@phonics (http://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/member.php?u=1)

Castle, Arrow, Quantico and now Orphan Black. TV is back boys.

John
15-04-2016, 12:05 PM
They're giving Orphan Black one of those talkshow things, and HBO will be doing the same for Game of Thrones. I'd say those better not become a thing, but they already are. Such nonsense.

Castle. :sick:

Mazuuurk
15-04-2016, 02:58 PM
On season 5 of X-files now. This is around the time when I started watching it more sporadically, back in the day.

Mazuuurk
15-04-2016, 02:58 PM
They're giving Orphan Black one of those talkshow things, and HBO will be doing the same for Game of Thrones. I'd say those better not become a thing, but they already are. Such nonsense.

Castle. :sick:

Talk show things...? As in the actors sit around and talk about the show, or... ?

phonics
15-04-2016, 03:01 PM
Talk show things...? As in the actors sit around and talk about the show, or... ?

It's basically a podcast about the episode that just ended but on TV.

Chris Hardwick from The Nerdist did it for Walking Dead and now every show seems to want one.

Mazuuurk
15-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Ooh, right. I think I may have seen something similar in Sweden about some show (probably game of thrones).

That is absolutely fucking retarded. It's like filming a bunch of spotty geeks discussing whether Trek or Wars is best, or what the perks of different versions of Dungeons & Dragons.

Boydy
15-04-2016, 06:02 PM
The update at the start of the new Orphan Black season is not nesrly comprehensive enough given how long it hasn't been on. I can barely remember what happened.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-04-2016, 08:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE_KzuQNQnU

So bad.

Baz
16-04-2016, 08:26 AM
On season 5 of X-files now. This is around the time when I started watching it more sporadically, back in the day.
I'm halfway through season 3. :drool:

Ian
16-04-2016, 10:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE_KzuQNQnU

So bad.

Couldn't even watch the whole thing. Diabolical.

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Couldn't even watch the whole thing. Diabolical.

Neither could I.

Christ knows who is actually going to watch it.

John
16-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Nope. Not having that.

And that's a film which wasn't that good to begin with being trodden on. Imagine when the Lethal Weapon trailer appears. :sick:

Giggles
16-04-2016, 02:55 PM
That Angie Tribeca thing looks so so awful.

Ian
16-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Nope. Not having that.

And that's a film which wasn't that good to begin with being trodden on. Imagine when the Lethal Weapon trailer appears. :sick:

I don't want to think about it.

John
16-04-2016, 03:11 PM
That Angie Tribeca thing looks so so awful.

It's absolutely brilliant. I've only seen one trailer for it but if that was representative then they got their marketing wrong in a big way.

I don't want to think about it.

A fair plan, but getting punched in the head hurts more if you're not ready for it.

Giggles
16-04-2016, 03:27 PM
It's absolutely brilliant. I've only seen one trailer for it but if that was representative then they got their marketing wrong in a big way.

A fair plan, but getting punched in the head hurts more if you're not ready for it.

I've only seen the one currently running on E4 and it looks terrible. Is it worth a go then?

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-04-2016, 04:20 PM
I've only seen the one currently running on E4 and it looks terrible. Is it worth a go then?

If you like The Naked Gun, yes.

The humour is very similar.

John
18-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Season two of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has appeared with very little fanfare. That's tonight's viewing sorted.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Season two of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has appeared with very little fanfare. That's tonight's viewing sorted.

Shit, I thought it was out in a few months time. Smashing.

Raoul Duke
18-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Watched Daredevil recently which was pretty awesome. Also House Of Cards is warming up nicely. Shit just got real

Ian
18-04-2016, 10:41 PM
You watched both series of Daredevil and Jessica Jones, Raoul? All three are great.

phonics
19-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Arrow is so lol. It's really bad but I can't stop watching (apart from the Flash focused episodes, I skip them)

I put 100 dollars on Laurels death being faked by Oliver

John
19-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Watched one episode of Kimmy Schmidt last night and I've been humming, whistling, and singing the theme song all day today. It's a disgrace.

wullie
19-04-2016, 01:16 PM
No, it's a miracle!

Raoul Duke
19-04-2016, 05:52 PM
You watched both series of Daredevil and Jessica Jones, Raoul? All three are great.

Yep, all good. Looking forward to Luke Cage as well.

Ian
19-04-2016, 05:59 PM
I'll be interested to see how they time the releases of Iron Fist and then The Defenders. I suppose given the relative patience Marvel have shown so far it might not be until 2018 that we get The Defenders unless they go to 3+ Netflix series a year to fit in all four of the characters they have planned and more often.

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-04-2016, 06:05 PM
It's scheduled to begin filming in 'late 2016' after Iron Fist which is filming right now.

I'd guess Iron Fist around March 2017, then Defenders in June and Jessica Jones season 2 around September/October.

Baz
20-04-2016, 06:51 PM
The amount of Malcolm In The Middle on ComedyXtra is making slobbing in front of the telly far too easy.

Forgot how funny it is.

SvN
20-04-2016, 06:54 PM
It's brilliant, isn't it? I binge through it every now and then.

Reg
20-04-2016, 07:08 PM
:nodd: Loved it as a kid and just as good now, a lot of clever jokes and storytelling.

John
21-04-2016, 09:39 PM
The second season of Kimmy Schmidt was about on a par with the first one in pure comedy terms, but they managed to address some of the darkness of that backstory and slip some emotional stuff in. The third episode was a bit crap overall but, much like 30 Rock, there are still enough brilliant throwaway jokes in each episode to sustain it.

The third was one of those 'address the critics' things, but it had the sight gag of a gay black man in whiteface playing a Geisha so that's fine.

Magic
21-04-2016, 09:42 PM
:nodd: Loved it as a kid and just as good now, a lot of clever jokes and storytelling.

It's miles better than Modern Family etc.

Every single character is so well developed you can't help but love them all. Craig. :wub:

Reg
21-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Hadn't really thought about that but you're right, there's more depth to the characters than most comedies.

Hal's half-crying exasperation is always great. He's got to be up there with the best telly actors of the last twenty ish years.

John
21-04-2016, 09:56 PM
He is, but for Breaking Bad only. I could never really get into Malcolm in the Middle. It's not terrible, I just never saw the genius other people seemed to be watching.

Magic
21-04-2016, 09:58 PM
I went off it slightly when Jamie came in to it.

Reg
21-04-2016, 10:00 PM
He is, but for Breaking Bad only. I could never really get into Malcolm in the Middle. It's not terrible, I just never saw the genius other people seemed to be watching.
More for BB, but there can't be many who have done both comedy and drama so well.

phonics
24-04-2016, 11:48 AM
I'm up to Season 3 of the West Wing after failing to stick to the 'West Wing Weekly' schedule.

Two Cathedrals is massively over-rated but apart from that, and a few moments of horrific sexism, still great.

John
25-04-2016, 09:42 PM
Marcella is still all over the place but I'm finding it oddly watchable. That could be because I'm locked into finishing it due to watching with my gran and so have resigned myself to it, but I reckon it's pulling the standard Scandi-Noir trick of doing just enough to keep you in while telling you basically fuck all. It's written by the same bloke behind The Bridge, so it should come as no surprise that it has a mentally abnormal female detective at the centre of it, yet the fucker keeps finding new ways to make her be a cunt.

Boydy
25-04-2016, 09:59 PM
I'm gonna binge that once it's over because I fucking loved The Bridge.

I'm on season 2 of The Killing right now and it's great too. The Scandis know how to make good TV.

John
25-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Nobody ever laughs, audience included. They can weave a narrative, but fuck me it's grim.

Bernanke
28-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Is The Night Manager worth watching?

Vim
28-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Watched all of Episodes, great show.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
28-04-2016, 06:05 PM
I'd tend to agree apart from Hugh Laurie's constant 'Jed daaaaarling'.

ItalAussie
29-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Archer has been amazing this season. Strength to strength.

They're really making perfect use of the characters, in a way that can only come from writers who really understand what they've created. The animation quality has improved dramatically, and it's also gotten a little darker. Some of the fight scenes, like the bare knuckle clown beatdown in the new episode, are pretty brutal. None of them rival to the fight scene they did entirely with sound over the phone an episode or two back though, which was equal parts horrifying and darkly hilarious.

If the second half of this two-parter is as good as the first, then it's up there with the best they've ever done.

Giggles
29-04-2016, 05:46 PM
I recorded the first episode of Angie Tribeca after hearing the Naked Gun comparisons but by fuck it is absolutely horrendous, worst thing I've seen on TV in a long time. Maybe it improves after the first episode, it can only go up.

John
29-04-2016, 05:49 PM
I recorded the first episode of Angie Tribeca after hearing the Naked Gun comparisons but by fuck it is absolutely horrendous, worst thing I've seen on TV in a long time. Maybe it improves after the first episode, it can only go up.

The sense of humour stays basically constant so if you didn't like the first one you'll not like anything after that.

Giggles
29-04-2016, 05:56 PM
I don't mind the parody, I really like that type of thing, I just thought everything from the jokes to the story to the acting let it down.

wullie
29-04-2016, 06:08 PM
I thought it had some promise, but bits like the parkour chase went on about five times longer than it should have.

Ian
29-04-2016, 11:19 PM
RE: Archer I've really struggled to stay interested after about four episodes of Archer Vice. Should I persevere?

Sir Andy Mahowry
29-04-2016, 11:23 PM
You could skip it.

The season after is pretty good and the current season is brilliant.

John
29-04-2016, 11:24 PM
The Vice season wasn't terribly interesting but six was excellent. I haven't watched any of this year yet. I prefer to let each season of that finish before touching it.

John
29-04-2016, 11:28 PM
I thought it had some promise, but bits like the parkour chase went on about five times longer than it should have.

That did go on far too long. They got a bit better at incorporating that sort of endlessly running joke into the background of other scenes as it went on though. That said, they actually did it much better earlier in the same episode too with the mad slap fight between Giles and Edge, so maybe it was just an aberration.

Bernanke
30-04-2016, 12:06 AM
This current season of Archer has started as strong as the show has ever been I think. The PI angle works really well, and there's less running jokes into the ground. (COCAINE-PAM)

Disco
30-04-2016, 12:29 AM

My friend showed me this earlier and I'm with you it's awful, comparing it to Naked Gun let alone Police Squad is a travesty. And it has a stupid name.

ItalAussie
30-04-2016, 03:18 AM
RE: Archer I've really struggled to stay interested after about four episodes of Archer Vice. Should I persevere?

Mahow has it exactly right. Archer Vice just didn't work, but it got back on the rails after that.

ItalAussie
30-04-2016, 03:18 AM
The Vice season wasn't terribly interesting but six was excellent. I haven't watched any of this year yet. I prefer to let each season of that finish before touching it.

That's going to be a good idea here, because there seems to be a season-long plot arc that is actually really interesting.

Ian
30-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Gotham's gone a bit shit again.

Raoul Duke
30-04-2016, 06:35 PM
Punisher series on Netflix confirmed: http://arstechnica.co.uk/the-multiverse/2016/04/punisher-series-netflix-details/

Ian
30-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Berenthal is great as Punisher and many of the last season of Daredevil's best scenes/episodes featured him heavily. The third episode in particular, with the rooftop scene.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Archer has been amazing this season. Strength to strength.

They're really making perfect use of the characters, in a way that can only come from writers who really understand what they've created. The animation quality has improved dramatically, and it's also gotten a little darker. Some of the fight scenes, like the bare knuckle clown beatdown in the new episode, are pretty brutal. None of them rival to the fight scene they did entirely with sound over the phone an episode or two back though, which was equal parts horrifying and darkly hilarious.

If the second half of this two-parter is as good as the first, then it's up there with the best they've ever done.
I almost lost my shit at 'Otto Von Jizzmarck', it was absolutely perfect.

I also like how they've been doing a lot more in-jokes which refer back to previous episodes. Piggly's come up quite a bit in the last few episodes.

I think this might be the best season yet.

phonics
04-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Person of Interest is back :drool:

Still haven't picked up on Orphan Black mind.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-05-2016, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure if it's purely a case of me expecting it to be so much better but I'm still finding Gotham to be complete horse wank.

I had to watch this weeks episode in 2 chunks because I couldn't get through it in one sitting.

The worst part is that I know I can't just give up on it :\

phonics
04-05-2016, 05:55 PM
They only went and built a super computer out of PS3's due to the cell system :drool:

What a show.

Raoul Duke
04-05-2016, 09:49 PM
I started watching Peaky Blinders the other day. Cracking series so far. Even Sam Neil's amusingly fluctuating accent can't knock it off track.

Just coming to the end of the second series now, and it's been ace

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-05-2016, 11:52 PM
They only went and built a super computer out of PS3's due to the cell system :drool:

What a show.
Could have put that in spoiler tags, dickhead.

What sort of gangster deals in PS3's instead of the current gen? Fucking hell.

Also, it was criminal that they didn't include a fucking recap of the finale.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-05-2016, 10:42 PM
The latest season of The Americans has been fantastic, if they nail the finale in a few weeks (which they will because they always do) then this will have been the best of the lot.

They played out the Martha storyline absolutely brilliantly.

It was clear that Phillip really loved her and the realisation when the FBI finally knew all the details was done so well. I loved the scene when Gaad told Stan that they were married.

wullie
06-05-2016, 08:50 AM
I really liked the second episode of Angie Tribeca last night. Not sure if it was actually better than the first or I just was a bit too jaded when I watched it.

John Arne
06-05-2016, 08:52 AM
I really enjoyed Angie Tribeca when I fist watched it. However, when I went back to it when I wasn't in such a good mood - it did my head in. You definitely need to be in a good/silly mood to enjoy it.

Henry
06-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Started House of Cards. 5 episodes in.

Bit "meh" so far.

SvN
06-05-2016, 10:20 AM
I'd suggest watching the entire first series. If you're still not a fan, don't bother with the rest.

Kikó
06-05-2016, 11:09 AM
I'm enjoying season 4 a lot more than I did 3. It's pretty good again.

Henry
06-05-2016, 11:30 AM
I'd suggest watching the entire first series. If you're still not a fan, don't bother with the rest.

It's not terrible, I'll probably keep watching either way. It's well acted and the main characters are interesting, even if the writing isn't so good.

Raoul Duke
06-05-2016, 07:18 PM
The latest season was great I thought. Far better than the previous one.

Boydy
08-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Is it just me or is Orphan Black not as good this season?

I'm getting a bit bored with it. Although I think it might be because I binged watch the other seasons but have been following this one weekly. That really kills the flow of a TV show for me.

Boydy
09-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Fucking Netflix doesn't have season 3 of The Killing and I can't find it via Kodi with English subtitles or on any torrent sites either. Bloody annoying.

Boydy
09-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Searching for its Danish name brought some results. Should have thought of that before, really.

John
09-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Marcella went full Scandi, and then about three hundred miles past that tonight, lingering on a particularly distasteful death in a way that didn't really feel earned.

phonics
10-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Can't find the proper thread so I'm just going to post it here.

Did anyone see the documentary about a family of refugee's from Syria on Channel 4 just then? Really compelling viewing.

ItalAussie
11-05-2016, 01:21 AM
I had very high hopes for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but it really just isn't very good. You can tell they knew as well, when they brought Tina Fey into a recurring role in the second season, but even that didn't help it enough.

Sir Andy Mahowry
11-05-2016, 01:22 AM
I liked the first season a lot but just couldn't get into the second at all.

Browning
11-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Dave Gorman's got a new thing on Dave, though it appears to be just the "best bits" from Modern Life is Goodish with, supposedly, some unseen footage. I'll still watch it despite no doubt having seen 90% of it before.

Sir Andy Mahowry
13-05-2016, 10:25 PM
This weeks episode of Archer was brilliant.

Krieger is such a don.

Bernanke
13-05-2016, 11:45 PM
I loved that they continued the gag of mirroring the story for so long.

http://i.imgur.com/4yAnMHJ.gif

Evel Nazi Bob Ross Knievel. :D

simon
14-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Two episodes into Billions and it's pretty great.

SvN
14-05-2016, 09:38 AM
Yeah I'm enjoying it too. Think we've just finished episode 4. The only issue I'm having is that I'm often forgetting the names of minor characters, so when they briefly mention them in conversation, I'm left wondering who they're talking about.

Bernanke
14-05-2016, 09:41 AM
And Billions only got better towards the second half of the season. The finale has some of the best character scenes I've seen on TV in a long time.

Chucks wife is pretty much my dream wife as well, aside from when she pisses on him.

simon
14-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Also, on a sidenote, I don't think there is a TV show that I've watched that hasn't had this chap appear in it at some point.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2740524/images/h-DAVID-COSTABILE-348x516.jpg

He's in everything.

Bernanke
14-05-2016, 10:31 AM
I've only seen him in Suits and this, but I love him so much in Billions. Best character.

Edit: Damn, forgot that he's Gale from Breaking Bad.

John
17-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Preacher starts on Sunday. :drool:

John
17-05-2016, 07:06 PM
What are ITV up to with the last episode of Marcella? They've showed the whole thing on seven consecutive Mondays, then they're changing it to a Tuesday night for the last one. It's as if they're not comfortable unless it's going up against football for viewers.

Ian
17-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Legends of Tomorrow is largely awful (Wentworth Miller and Arthur Darvill are the best things in it, for fuck's sake) and yet here I am, not deleting it from my planner. Were it not for my loathing of Batman vs. Superman I'd be thinking I'd become immune to the shitness of comic book films/TV.

Sir Andy Mahowry
17-05-2016, 07:25 PM
It is indeed fairly shit but I do find it being quite watchable.

The only thing I dislike Miller in the show is his accent though, it's so shit.

John
17-05-2016, 07:32 PM
He was appallingly bad on The Flash. It was like he was unhappy with his contract and trying to get the sack.

Ian
17-05-2016, 07:36 PM
It's the way he INSISTS on emphasising every SENTENCE in the SAME WAY I find irritating.

I suppose it PREVENTS HIM from having to DISPLAY any ACTUAL EMOTIONS.

John
17-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I wonder what made the Marcella people go full fucking horror film for a couple of moments there, the cunts. Take away all the ancillary stuff that was presumably there to serve as table setting for a second series and I reckon they could have told that story in about three episodes.

Ian
17-05-2016, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXZdEmvcFdU

Ugh.

Boydy
17-05-2016, 10:51 PM
I guess TV's golden age is over.

John
17-05-2016, 10:56 PM
Everything that's ever been popular is getting remade or rebooted. Some things look quality, like Westworld, but all the 'network' stuff just looks like putrid shit.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show has been remade, for fuck's sake.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-05-2016, 01:09 AM
Gotham really is pits.

In this weeks episode:

Fish fucking Mooney back :face:

It's getting worse each week ffs.

I honestly don't know how much longer I can keep watching.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-05-2016, 04:23 PM
It seems that CBS are trying to crank out Person of Interest as quickly as possible. The 13 run season has the following air dates:

May 3rd, May 9th, May 10th, May 16th, May 17th, May 23rd, two on May 24th, May 30th, May 31st, June 7th, June 14th and finally June 21st.

Other broadcasters should do the same.

Ian
18-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Yeah Gotham's gone shit again.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Decided to start on Orphan Black. I'm pissed that I've only just decided to try it out, it's damn good.

Alex
19-05-2016, 11:52 PM
To continue the "everything is getting rebooted for TV and it all looks shit" theme, do we really need a television version of Training Day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NBd_zitSNI

"No, we do not", would be the answer to that.

Alex
19-05-2016, 11:57 PM
The film is a classic, but it was a fucking training day. Singular. How does that even work over the course of a series? It doesn't even make sense.

John
20-05-2016, 12:20 AM
24 managed it.

It'll be complete arse, like the rest of them. It does seem odd that about fifteen film properties are suddenly being made into TV shows though. Are they all owned by the same struggling production company or something?

Alex
20-05-2016, 01:19 AM
24 managed it.

It'll be complete arse, like the rest of them. It does seem odd that about fifteen film properties are suddenly being made into TV shows though. Are they all owned by the same struggling production company or something?

Yeah, of course. I get the impression this isn't a 24-style, "real time" thing over the course of one day though.

It is bizarre. I've no idea what's kicked it off, but hopefully it's short-lived.

Alex
20-05-2016, 01:27 AM
Speaking of which, they actually are rebooting 24 as well, with Dr. Dre from the NWA film taking the main role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOWpUB_Xdqs

I think I'll struggle to care about it without Jack, to be honest.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-05-2016, 01:33 AM
I actually like the look of that.

They'd have been better off calling it something different though.

John
20-05-2016, 06:49 AM
Yeah, of course. I get the impression this isn't a 24-style, "real time" thing over the course of one day though.

It is bizarre. I've no idea what's kicked it off, but hopefully it's short-lived.

I was being a bit facetious there. I hated 24.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-05-2016, 08:42 PM
So, Arrow.

The only way they could have made John Barrowman's fake hand any camper would be by painting it pink. It seems to always be in the 'limp wrist' position.

Oh and Lonnie Machin, despite having a shit name, is brilliant.

I've also finished off the first season of Orphan Black and it really is great.

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-05-2016, 01:43 AM
https://torrentfreak.com/fox-stole-a-game-clip-used-it-in-family-guy-dmcad-the-original-160520/

The video has been put back up on the original Youtube account but that's proper fucking shit from Fox.

The guy now has over 100k views so he's probably happy with the eventual outcome.

ItalAussie
21-05-2016, 02:36 AM
I know I've made this point already, but Archer is on one hell of a roll at the moment. The most recent episode was one of the weaker in this season, and still managed to knock it out of the park.

SvN
21-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Finished Billions this afternoon. I thought it was excellent, and a very good season finale too. Can't wait for the second season to start, just a shame I've got such a long wait.

Paul Giamatti continues to show why he's one of Hollywood's finest.

Alex
21-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Finished Billions this afternoon. I thought it was excellent, and a very good season finale too. Can't wait for the second season to start, just a shame I've got such a long wait.

Paul Giamatti continues to show why he's one of Hollywood's finest.

I only started it a couple of days ago back I think I'll probably be finished before too long. I'm really liking it too, more that I thought I would. I can't remember the episode number but I've just finished the one where:

You find out that he made a shit load of his money on the back of September 11th, and the story gets leaked to the media. Also (if I understood it properly) at the end of the episode it's revealed he actually knows all about the inside man the government have got and he's using him to play them? I think that's what's happening anyway.

Ian
21-05-2016, 04:28 PM
I know I've made this point already, but Archer is on one hell of a roll at the moment. The most recent episode was one of the weaker in this season, and still managed to knock it out of the park.

I've gone back to Archer Vice and am gritting my teeth through it on the promise of the good stuff.

John
23-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Preacher is off to a terrifically fun start. Joseph Gilgun was presumably cast off the back of his turn playing a headcase in Lockout, because his character is a complete fucking nutter. Absolutely bonkers.

The way they've scheduled it is a bit shit, with the first episode showing last night then being repeated next week followed by 'Talking Preacher', before normal service resumes the following week. A two week gap between premiere and the second episode doesn't seem like the way to build a fanbase, although I suppose people like me will be gravy when the built in audience from the comics is apparently so huge.

The Merse
23-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Preacher is off to a terrifically fun start. Joseph Gilgun was presumably cast off the back of his turn playing a headcase in Lockout, because his character is a complete fucking nutter. Absolutely bonkers.

The way they've scheduled it is a bit shit, with the first episode showing last night then being repeated next week followed by 'Talking Preacher', before normal service resumes the following week. A two week gap between premiere and the second episode doesn't seem like the way to build a fanbase, although I suppose people like me will be gravy when the built in audience from the comics is apparently so huge.

I'd heard they were adapting it but had no idea it was out already. Still yet to read Preacher but I loved Garth Ennis's The Boys and Dredd's so I've been wanting to do so for a while.

Hopefully not as pish poor as the Punisher adaptation.

John
23-05-2016, 10:10 PM
I'd heard they were adapting it but had no idea it was out already. Still yet to read Preacher but I loved Garth Ennis's The Boys and Dredd's so I've been wanting to do so for a while.

Hopefully not as pish poor as the Punisher adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNgI2sRzr8I

It's an old trailer, but it offers a taste of what they're doing and every trailer AMC have released since is region locked to the US.

I can't to speak to how faithful the adaptation is, though if it's as unfilmable as I've heard then it's almost certainly not very faithful, but it's a lot of fun.

John
25-05-2016, 09:06 PM
The Americans has been renewed for another two years, with the sixth definitely being the last.

Boydy
25-05-2016, 10:30 PM
That's probably good that they know far enough in advance when it's going to finish.

I'd quite like to see them still there come the fall of the Soviet Union and what happens then.

John
25-05-2016, 10:33 PM
The end date was set by the showrunners rather than the network too, which is always good news.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-05-2016, 12:26 AM
That's probably good that they know far enough in advance when it's going to finish.

I'd quite like to see them still there come the fall of the Soviet Union and what happens then.
Indeed, it would be great.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-05-2016, 12:26 AM
Oh and I've now finished the first three seasons of Orphan Black.

It's such a shitter that I'm pretty much all caught up now :(

Helena though :cool:

Magic
01-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Actor Michael Jace found guilty of second-degree murder http://dailym.ai/1VtaNk7 via http://dailym.ai/android

:|

phonics
01-06-2016, 08:01 AM
Probably called him a big bum boy.

Bernanke
01-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Silicon Valley is the best thing going right now. The callback to Russ in the latest episode was brilliant.

Jared. Nice. Using that dick.

Lewis
01-06-2016, 05:37 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07d7nj9

:cool:

The Merse
01-06-2016, 05:47 PM
I've only seen him in Suits and this, but I love him so much in Billions. Best character.

Edit: Damn, forgot that he's Gale from Breaking Bad.

The guys credits are a who's who of Globe winning TV when you take into account his cameos but Damages, Breaking Bad, The Wire and Flight of the Concords as a proper regular is pretty good really.

Alex
01-06-2016, 11:58 PM
Silicon Valley is the best thing going right now. The callback to Russ in the latest episode was brilliant.

Jared. Nice. Using that dick.

It's the best, smartest, funniest comedy (that I've seen) that's been on television in ages. It makes me happy that not only does it continue to me made but that it seems to do well.

This weeks episode is probably the best one of this season. This season is shaping up to be the best so far, too.

Pepe
02-06-2016, 01:07 AM
Done with my Seinfeld rerun. :(

Magic
02-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Peaky Blinders is pretty good. As in HBO good.

All the accents are terrible though.

Baz
02-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Sell me on Silicone Valley?

Now I've finished Freaks and Geeks, I need something else to watch.

Boydy
02-06-2016, 10:40 PM
I've finally got around to starting The Wire properly. Three episodes in. I'm enjoying it so far.

Pepe
02-06-2016, 10:42 PM
:drool:

Jealous right now.

wullie
03-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Looking forward to the favourite season discussion already!

Ian
03-06-2016, 08:18 AM
After what has probably been it's weakest year so far Arrow didn't even do it's usual trick of massively uppong it's game for the last episode or two of the season to the same extent. Not sure about the Flash finale either.

Not sure what to watch while I've briefly got a bit of a lull in stuff I'm recording. Just powering through Archer to hit the good stuff is an option but there are loads of other things I still need to watch. Might make a start on Sons of Anarchy.

Mike
03-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Imagine getting to sit down and watch The Wire for the first time.

Are you watching the original DVD version or the wide screen HD remastered version?

SvN
03-06-2016, 08:32 AM
I've never seen The Wire either. I've heard it's tough to get into, so I keep putting off starting it.

phonics
03-06-2016, 08:34 AM
After what has probably been it's weakest year so far Arrow didn't even do it's usual trick of massively uppong it's game for the last episode or two of the season to the same extent. Not sure about the Flash finale either.

Not sure what to watch while I've briefly got a bit of a lull in stuff I'm recording. Just powering through Archer to hit the good stuff is an option but there are loads of other things I still need to watch. Might make a start on Sons of Anarchy.

The Arrow SubReddit was so angered by the finales that they've rebranded it a Daredevil subreddit and banned all discussion of it :D

https://i.imgur.com/TZ4jVp6.png

It has been really, really crap this year.

Ian
03-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Hah. :D I quite like the stuff in whatever-that-place-was-called in the second-last episode of Arrow but the whole thing seemed like a waste and the flashbacks are increasingly a waste of time and I don't know why they don't bin them off.

I've never seen The Wire either. I've heard it's tough to get into, so I keep putting off starting it.

I didn't have any trouble at all getting into it. I don't think it's a tough watch.

phonics
03-06-2016, 08:43 AM
I've actually lost all ability to follow Person of Interest, I wake up one day and there's 4 new episodes and nothing for a few weeks and then 2 more pop up. So I'm waiting till they finish the season and start again.

wullie
03-06-2016, 08:51 AM
I think I got into The Wire by catching a later episode and getting into that one, then going back to the start. Same with Walking Dead, the first episode of that I ever saw was when Rick was stuck in the house with that gang of bandits.