PDA

View Full Version : Do we live in a golden age of television?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Boydy
19-01-2016, 04:31 PM
What's relevant is her sexuality.

Boydy, Bob's Burgers was back this week. Guess when the next episode is? 14th of fucking February.

27th September
11th October
18th October
8th November
15th November
17th January
14th February.

What shit scheduling that is.

For fuck's sake.

It was about fucking Gayle too, who I can't stand. I put it on last night but barely paid attention.

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Indeed, other than Tammy in Parks and Rec I can't stand Megan Mullally.

There were a few good bits in the episode but Gayle (mostly because of Megan's voice) ruined it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-01-2016, 06:39 PM
The season 2 finale of The Americans is superb shit.

The pre-credits stuff with this playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1sf2CzEq0w

:drool:

Giggles
20-01-2016, 12:02 AM
I've had an episode of Person of Interest on in the background on TV for the past hour (Series 4 Episode 11).I've never seen it before but is it always this mental? The same thing seems to be happening over and over but with differing outcomes and they are all just randomly talking out loud but not to anyone. Not a fucking clue what's going on.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-01-2016, 12:10 AM
I've had an episode of Person of Interest on in the background on TV for the past hour (Series 4 Episode 11).I've never seen it before but is it always this mental? The same thing seems to be happening over and over but with differing outcomes and they are all just randomly talking out loud but not to anyone. Not a fucking clue what's going on.

That episode was especially mental.

The computer program was playing out every single scenario possible and they showed a few of them.

It was a way of showing how it works, pulling on some heart strings and filling out an episode.

Giggles
20-01-2016, 12:13 AM
That episode was especially mental.

The computer program was playing out every single scenario possible and they showed a few of them.

It was a way of showing how it works, pulling on some heart strings and filling out an episode.

Not a particularly easy one to be my first then. Is there always a computer program?

I must have a look at the actual general plot of the show.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-01-2016, 12:19 AM
Not a particularly easy one to be my first then. Is there always a computer program?

Sorry, it's a machine.

Yeah, I think it's a damn good TV show.

phonics
20-01-2016, 11:17 AM

A man comes up with a Minority Report esque machine that can predict murder. They give this to the government who use it to stop terrorism. The inventor codes a back door into the machine that sends him 'irrelevant' murders (non terrorist actions) and prevents them with his band of merry men. It's great stuff.

John
20-01-2016, 11:26 AM
The first season of it is complete bilge, and I mean complete bilge, but if you can get through that it apparently gets more serialised and begins to take off a bit. I couldn't. Not even close.

Josh
20-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Mahow, please provide a full list of 'damn good tv shows' so I know what to avoid.

Although you do like Bob's Burgers so I'll let you have that one.

John
20-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Anyone else bothered with Angie Tribeca yet? It's wonderfully silly.

"We did find something strange when going through the victim's records. There was a Simon and Garfunkel album in the hard rock section."

Boydy
20-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Indeed, other than Tammy in Parks and Rec I can't stand Megan Mullally.

There were a few good bits in the episode but Gayle (mostly because of Megan's voice) ruined it.

I watched it properly last night and actually really enjoyed it. It's still great.

Shame they're so useless at putting it out regularly.

Boydy
20-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Anyone else bothered with Angie Tribeca yet? It's wonderfully silly.

"We did find something strange when going through the victim's records. There was a Simon and Garfunkel album in the hard rock section."

:D

Not yet but I fully intend to based on your posts in here about it.

Alex
20-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Yeah I thought it was a brilliant show, binged all of it in about a fortnight a couple of years ago.

It really is excellent. I haven't been quite that fast with it, but I'm into season four now and I reckon I'll have finished it by the end of next week, so about a month all in all.

Nate's wife dying was a pretty odd story development.

Maybe something more will come of it but it's still very much at the forefront of the story at the point I'm up to, but on the face of it it feels a bit like they had nothing else to do with the character and wanted Nate to do something else too so they just decided to kill her off in a freak accident.

I'm a bit gutted that Arthur has gone too. Rainn Wilson was really good in that role. Poor lad, falsely accused of sending shit to people through the post. :D

Mazuuurk
20-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Since X-files is back soon, me and the lady decided to start rewatching them all from the beginning. They are a little old, sure, but the Intro tune is so awesome you can watch whole episodes almost only thanks to the hype that comes with that, and really it still holds up pretty well.

Scully :wub:

igor_balis
20-01-2016, 04:28 PM
It really is excellent. I haven't been quite that fast with it, but I'm into season four now and I reckon I'll have finished it by the end of next week, so about a month all in all.

Nate's wife dying was a pretty odd story development.

Maybe something more will come of it but it's still very much at the forefront of the story at the point I'm up to, but on the face of it it feels a bit like they had nothing else to do with the character and wanted Nate to do something else too so they just decided to kill her off in a freak accident.

I'm a bit gutted that Arthur has gone too. Rainn Wilson was really good in that role. Poor lad, falsely accused of sending shit to people through the post. :D

Once I finished it, I read a lot of message board discussions and Lisa seemed to be universally hated. Start of season 3 had a lot of people going 'WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS NATE WITH THIS BITCH', and general feeling of relief when she died, lolz. And yeah, Arthur was a great character. I love how Six Feet Under switches from really serious drama to surreal comedy.

Baz
20-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Since X-files is back soon, me and the lady decided to start rewatching them all from the beginning. They are a little old, sure, but the Intro tune is so awesome you can watch whole episodes almost only thanks to the hype that comes with that, and really it still holds up pretty well.

Scully :wub:SNAP! (http://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/showthread.php?823-The-X-Files)

Only watched two so far though, and it's great.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Less than a minute into the first episode of Angie Tribeca and I've lolled four times. This is going to be Naked Gun with Rashida Jones in it. :drool:

I've just started on episode one and that sums it up perfectly.

John
20-01-2016, 07:35 PM
It's probably more bizarre and punchline heavy than Naked Gun. It's the sort of thing that needs every ounce of that star power just to get made.

phonics
21-01-2016, 09:57 PM

:facepalm:

Reg
21-01-2016, 10:01 PM
:cool:

I swear she was narrating a nature documentary the other day.

Jimmy Floyd
21-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Ali G was doing that better 20 years ago.

Boydy
22-01-2016, 11:02 PM
New Girl has been back for three episodes and none of you told me?

:nono:

Giggles
22-01-2016, 11:06 PM

I lost track of it in the middle of whichever series that Coach returned.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-01-2016, 11:37 PM

Just set up a RSS feed on a torrent site (BTN is damn good for TV shows but it is private) and your torrent client will auto download anything that pops up on said feed.

Or if you can't be arsed doing that, make an account on on-my.tv and set up your own filter so you know the scheduling of all your shows.

Giggles
22-01-2016, 11:41 PM
Seriesguide is a pretty handy app for tracking them too.

Alex
25-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Once I finished it, I read a lot of message board discussions and Lisa seemed to be universally hated. Start of season 3 had a lot of people going 'WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS NATE WITH THIS BITCH', and general feeling of relief when she died, lolz. And yeah, Arthur was a great character. I love how Six Feet Under switches from really serious drama to surreal comedy.

I didn't really dislike her to be honest. It was just a bit weird how quickly they shoehorned him into being a married man with a family. It almost felt (at least to me) like the initial plan was to have him die at the end of season two, and that would have been the end of the show, but then they decided to carry on and had to find something else to do with him. He is a better character without her though, I concede that.

The reveal with the brother-in-law has given a bit of closure to that storyline now anyway. When he shot himself in the head, I didn't fucking see that coming.

I'm into season five now. My hatred for Ruth has reached an all time high with how she's treating George now that she's found out he's got mental issues. She's being fucking horrible to him. She's just this big, naive, sulky fucking child and it does my head in at times. She's still a great character though. Her interactions with her adult children remind me a lot of things my own mother will say to me and my brothers. They've nailed that middle-aged, post-motherhood, "what shall I do with my life now?" side of her character perfectly.

I get the impression the writers want us all to think George is a complete bastard, but I really like him. Even before his problems were revealed I thought he was a good character. James Cromwell is ace. This show has a fucking great cast in general, actually.

David and Keith are pretty much my favourite TV couple of all time at this point.

Alex
25-01-2016, 10:12 PM
SNAP! (http://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/showthread.php?823-The-X-Files)

Only watched two so far though, and it's great.

I need to get going with the X-Files again. I had never seen any of it before, and I think I'm mid-way though season five. Whatever the last season before the first movie is, that's where I was up to. I need to knuckle down. This has been going on for a year now, on and off. I was really enjoying it too, I just keep getting distracted and drifting away from it.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
25-01-2016, 10:14 PM
I always enjoyed The X-Files more when they stuck to the one-off stories in a single episode.

Alex
25-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Some of the "monster of the week" episodes are up there with the best things I've seen on TV. It bugs me a little bit that the stuff that happens in those episodes nearly always makes Mulder's belief in supernatural occurrences and weird shit in general pretty much unquestionable, but you'll still get Scully giving it the old "there must be a reasonable explanation for all this Mulder!" routine. Even after she's just been terrorised by a man who can shape shift to fit himself through the crack under a door, or whatever. :D

niko_cee
25-01-2016, 10:29 PM
There were undoubtedly some good one-off episodes (the stretchy man one) but I always thought the over-arching/smoking man-centric ones (usually the beginning/end of series) were the best.

Spooky.

Baz
25-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Everyone says that. I'm getting a bit sick of them though, and I'm only about 9 episodes in. Looking forward to them eventually following on a bit.

Alex
25-01-2016, 10:45 PM
The way that it constantly breaks up the actual story (aliens, government conspiracies etc) does get a bit tiresome. A lot of times you want them to just get the fuck on with it but instead you've got about ten stand alone monster episodes to wade through before you get any progression. I think that's the main reason I keep tailing off with it.

John
26-01-2016, 12:26 AM
The 'actual story' was complete bobbins, so the Monster style episodes were by far the best ones, in retrospect at least.

We should hold one 'damn good' spot vacant for whenever Mahow gets around to watching 'Lucifer'.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-01-2016, 09:13 AM
I've been holding one for months after watching the trailer.

Shindig
26-01-2016, 01:13 PM
My Dad's watching Gotham at the minute and it's wall-to-wall scene chewing. And every scene seems to need overpowering music in the background, for some reason.

John
26-01-2016, 01:15 PM
I saw an advert for the new season of that last night, billed as 'Rise of the Villains'. How is that in any way distinct from the first batch, in which every villain in Batman history appeared in some form?

Shindig
26-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Alfred's trying to sack Bruce off to get his end away with a lass who is not interested until he mentions some fancy restaurant. The state of it.

I'm assuming his parents have already been shot and his still not moody about it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Well for a start it's even more laughable.

Barbara becomes even more unbearable than Fish ever was too.

John
26-01-2016, 01:28 PM
All they'd need to do for that to happen is expand her role. She was hardly there so wasn't particularly irritating, but she was quietly the worst actress ever.

"I know you, James Gordon. And I love you. And now I will make you a drink." A hook should have come onscreen immediately after that line and just dragged her right out of the postcode.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Whilst true, they also decided to turn her into a psychotic criminal.

phonics
29-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Suits is back :cool:

I didn't even know it was on break.

Giggles
29-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Brooklyn Nine Nine isn't living up to series 2, but there's still not a better TV character than Captain Holt.

wullie
29-01-2016, 10:24 PM
While it was always going to happen, they got to 'Holt's back in charge everyone' a little too quickly, if only because I wanted more Vulture. I prefer when they have the episode structured around some kind of case too rather than wackiness in the woods.

Foe
30-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Series 3 of House of Cards really doesn't have the same spark to it.

Angelsaint
31-01-2016, 11:24 AM
My Dad's watching Gotham at the minute and it's wall-to-wall scene chewing. And every scene seems to need overpowering music in the background, for some reason.

Gotham has been by far the only reason to watch TV lately. Pure classic in the making.

Ian
31-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Been re-watching some Parks and Rec between other things when I can't be arsed with paying proper attention to something new. Coming up to 5000 Candles in the Wind. :cool:

simon
31-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Gotham has been by far the only reason to watch TV lately. Pure classic in the making.

Don't let John hear you say that.

Ian
31-01-2016, 06:47 PM
How's this season been? I've got the episodes aired in the UK so far on my Sky box, think I should persevere and yet can't quite bring myself to make a start.

Baz
01-02-2016, 12:10 AM
Sixteen episodes into [season one of] The X-Files and I'm absolutely loving it. Had a brilliant run of three episodes too.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/x-files/images/5/5c/Luther_Lee_Boggs.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120802015701
Boggs. :drool: What a villain.

Ian
01-02-2016, 07:47 PM
Had totally forgotten that when I caught up with Parks and Rec through US Netflix that there was a whole series still not on there.

And it is now. :drool: Going to keep watching through the old ones first anyway.

Boydy
02-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Two episodes into season 1 of Fargo now and it's not really doing much for me.

Ian
02-02-2016, 05:33 PM
I stuck with season 1 basically because I didn't hate it, as slow as it was. Glad I did.

Boydy
02-02-2016, 10:00 PM
I've started Continuum. I wanted something science fictiony, it had decent-ish ratings and has finished as well.

Seems okay after one episode but the future gun things the cops have are annoying me. It's just a handle and then the gun part forms when they need to use it. Looks all futuristic but that's a shit design. It'd just slow you down when you're needing to use it quickly.

Mazuuurk
02-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Sixteen episodes into [season one of] The X-Files and I'm absolutely loving it. Had a brilliant run of three episodes too.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/x-files/images/5/5c/Luther_Lee_Boggs.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120802015701
Boggs. :drool: What a villain.

Its also so weird seeing all these half-famous actors like that in it. The other day I watched an episode in season 3 with Jack Black and Giovanni Ribisi in it being all young and, in fairness, the same as they always turned out to be :cab:

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-02-2016, 01:15 AM
The Secret Life of the Zoo is fucking great.

John Arne
03-02-2016, 05:00 AM
Its also so weird seeing all these half-famous actors like that in it. The other day I watched an episode in season 3 with Jack Black and Giovanni Ribisi in it being all young and, in fairness, the same as they always turned out to be :cab:

I watched some of the early Game On the other day and Estes from Homeland (David Harewood) makes a random cameo :drool:

Giggles
03-02-2016, 07:59 AM
The Secret Life of the Zoo is fucking great.

It looked mildly interesting but I used to live with a zookeeper and will drop into a coma if I see even one more animal TV show.

Toby
04-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Has anybody watched Louis C.K.'s new thing, Horace and Pete?

phonics
04-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Anyone been watching Billions? It's really good with a strong cast including Paul Giamatti who is a tour de force as the US District Attorney versus Damien Lewis' man of the people super trader.

Shame about Showtime going out of there way to destroy it. 1st episode came out Jan 1st, 2nd on Jan 17th, 3rd on Jan 31st and then weekly from there on in. It's not a show you can just drop into so they've really fucked it IMO.

Bernanke
04-02-2016, 02:42 PM
I'll watch anything with Paul Giamatti in it. :drool:

Alex
04-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Has anybody watched Louis C.K.'s new thing, Horace and Pete?

Not yet, but I have downloaded it. The release method was interesting, $5 on his website. I felt obliged to buy it. I might watch it tonight.

Toby
04-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Watched it now. It's pretty slow and feels more like a play than a sitcom, but it has some funny moments. Good enough that I'll watch the next instalment at least.

Kikó
04-02-2016, 11:10 PM
It's not a comedy at all really. It's a play and not sure it gets away from some of the loud grating voices.

Bernanke
05-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Billions is just like Black List. You have one actor that runs absolute circles around everyone else.

Now that I think about it, Spader and Giamatti even have similar voices.

Manc
05-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Two episodes into TWD season four and I'm struggling to go on. Absolutely woeful.

Boydy
06-02-2016, 02:51 AM
What is TWD?

Sir Andy Mahowry
06-02-2016, 02:58 AM
The Walking Dead.

Oh and Manc, it just keeps getting worse from there.

Manc
06-02-2016, 11:19 AM
I feared it would. :moop:

Shindig
06-02-2016, 12:36 PM
BBC can't possibly fuck up The Night Manager, can they?

Boydy
08-02-2016, 03:16 AM
I've been watching that BBC adaptation of War and Peace. It's alright and Paul Dano is good as always. What's bugging me is the story in general though. Maybe the book is a lot better but it just seemed to be a bunch of whiny aristocrats confusing lust and love. I don't think there are many on here who've read the book ( GS , Henry), but is it really a lot better? This series such isn't enticing me to read it.

The Merse
08-02-2016, 03:43 AM
BBC can't possibly fuck up The Night Manager, can they?

Sincerely hope not, and the soundbytes on the focus seem good.

I'd have preferred Le Carre's cold war stuff, mind.

Shindig
08-02-2016, 06:30 AM
I don't know how much of that is left to tread. They'd never put the money down to do The Honourable Schoolboy.

Henry
08-02-2016, 04:39 PM
I've been watching that BBC adaptation of War and Peace. It's alright and Paul Dano is good as always. What's bugging me is the story in general though. Maybe the book is a lot better but it just seemed to be a bunch of whiny aristocrats confusing lust and love. I don't think there are many on here who've read the book ( GS , Henry), but is it really a lot better? This series such isn't enticing me to read it.

Haven't watched it yet, but planning to do so in the next while so I'll let you know what I think. From what I hear, they did focus on the romantic stuff in the series, which isn't that central in the book.

However good it is as TV show, it couldn't possibly have captured the depth and breadth of the book. There was a blurb on the back of the copy I read that said "If history wrote itself it would write like Tolstoy". That's about right.

Alex
08-02-2016, 09:15 PM
The Walking Dead.

Oh and Manc, it just keeps getting worse from there.

I don't know, season five was probably a step back up to be fair, wasn't it? Or maybe like the last half of season four and the first half of season five. It's all blurred into one for me really.

The beginning of season four is shit though, I agree. That is if I'm remembering correctly and that's the "farmer Rick" phase.

Alex
08-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Also, I've finished season five of the X-Files. I need to watch the movie now before I continue. I might watch it tonight, in fact.

Baz
08-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Man, I can't wait to be that far in. :drool:

I've just done episode 22 of season 1 (it had Janice from Friends in) and it's still absolutely ace.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-02-2016, 09:32 PM
I don't know, season five was probably a step back up to be fair, wasn't it? Or maybe like the last half of season four and the first half of season five. It's all blurred into one for me really.

The beginning of season four is shit though, I agree. That is if I'm remembering correctly and that's the "farmer Rick" phase.

Maybe but not by much but it's gone way back down with 6.

Alex
08-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Maybe but not by much but it's gone way back down with 6.

To be fair there's a very good chance I'm getting mixed up between it actually being good television and my own admiration of Rick's beard. The beard made everything seem better for a while there.

John
08-02-2016, 10:34 PM
The Walking Dead basically kept up a constant level of middling quality with the odd great episode from about season two until the fourth or fifth episode of the current run. I'm about three or four episodes behind at the moment and given it's coming back soon and I haven't for a moment considered catching up, I think I might be done. It's just so poorly written.

Happy Valley is back for a second run tomorrow. :drool:

John
09-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Happy Valley. :drool:

Giggles
10-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Series 3 of Brooklyn Nine Nine has been good but a day spent watching series 2 on Netflix shows how much it has gone down.

Ian
10-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Is Happy Valley the Sarah Lancashire police thing? I didn't see that it was back.

John
10-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Is Happy Valley the Sarah Lancashire police thing? I didn't see that it was back.

It is.

Early signs are excellent.

SvN
10-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Is the first season any good? I mean, actually good, rather than "Good for British TV"?

Ian
10-02-2016, 05:51 PM
I enjoyed it very much but I don't rank TV series by country of origin so it's hard to say.

John
10-02-2016, 05:52 PM
It's excellent, by any standards.

SvN
10-02-2016, 06:02 PM
I'll give it a go. Do you not find that ITV produce a load of shit dramas?

Giggles
10-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Being ITV would instantly put me off (along with 'Raquel') but it sounds like they may have finally made something decent.

SvN
10-02-2016, 06:05 PM
It's actually BBC (my mistake). I did enjoy Broadchurch (season one, anyway), but that's the exception rather than the rule, I think.

John
10-02-2016, 06:20 PM
ITV produce a load of shit everything. They can fuck right off with that Benidorm nonsense in particular.

Sarah Lancashire was Raquel what, twenty years ago? She's a very good actress, and absolutely brilliant in Happy Valley. Think Olivia Colman in Broadcrhuch for the quality of the performance.

Giggles
10-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Never seen Broadchurch, I'd say Coronation Street is the last thing I seen her in (unless she did something with Nicholas Lyndhurst that I vaguely remember), though that's not to say she's not excellent in this. I like detectivey things so might check it out if I can easily find it.

Manc
10-02-2016, 07:16 PM
I can't pull myself to watch TWD. I'm considering one of The Knick, Mad Men or Californication as my new go to show.

Yevrah
10-02-2016, 07:35 PM
What's the X-Files return been like?

I'm guessing shit.

GS
10-02-2016, 09:46 PM

The book is fantastic. As Henry says, they've condensed a huge novel of depth and breadth into a six part series. They've done a very good job, but you could make the series twice or thrice as long and still struggle to fit everything in. There's a lot more focus on some of the historical elements in the book, including how the Russians would have seen the Tsar (almost as some sort of deity), the lead up to battle, battle itself, the wider political context, the burning of Moscow. It really is fantastic. You can probably skip Tolstoy's essays buried within the narrative, mind you.

CJay
11-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Making a Murderer with Homer Simpson. This is really well done. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtlu123dg0I

Alex
11-02-2016, 09:53 PM
I've watched the X-Files movie now (it was decent) and ploughed on into season six. Apparently this is the point a lot of the diehards turned against it because they moved production to Los Angeles and people thought it changed, or something?

It's been a really excellent start though I think. Particularly "Drive", the episode with Brian Cranston in.

Giggles
12-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Facebook tells me John Noble has pitched up in Elementary as Sherlock's dad. That's almost enough to make me watch it. What an actor that man is.

Just got to these after doing a catchup marathon. He is rather good, I hadn't recognised the name.

Bernanke
12-02-2016, 03:34 PM
The Americans S4 is coming. :drool:

http://i.imgur.com/54xe0CI.gif

Cord
13-02-2016, 12:41 PM
Well the first episode of the new X-files is a bit wank. You know what everyone didn't like about the old X-files - the later period, overly complicated conspiracy upon conspiracy nonsense where every character talks entirely in exposition or rubbish platitudes about the 'truth'? It's that again.

They even go as far as to throw out a lot of the accumulated conspiracy guff from the old series, only to immediately replace it with something equally turd. The mythology stuff only really worked when it had a very simple concept - trying to find evidence of aliens, shadowy dark forces working against them that never actually showed up, and the occasional enigmatic informant with unreliable motivations. This has none of that.

Needs more comedy running around after a monster episodes, is what I'm saying.

Foe
13-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Brooklyn Nine-Nine is absolutely brilliant.

Well done, TTH.

Ian
13-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Enjoying my re-watch of Parks and Rec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anbrC3x5r6Y

John
13-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Did you finish it? I remember you saying there was a season missing when you ran through it the first time.

'Ron and Leslie'. :drool:

Ian
13-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Nah, I'm halfway through season 5 just now.

Boydy
13-02-2016, 09:07 PM
I watched the first episode of The Americans last night. It seems pretty good.

Anyone watch it?

Sir Andy Mahowry
13-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Enjoying my re-watch of Parks and Rec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anbrC3x5r6Y

Ron is quite possibly one of the greatest characters created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHhLm7e6DnA

John
15-02-2016, 12:39 AM
Fox are doing a Lethal Weapon remake with Damon Wayans in the Danny Glover role. :sick:

I wonder if ISIS do contract work.

Mike
15-02-2016, 09:24 AM
I've been rewatching house the last few months. Just started season 4, which means...
http://cdn3-www.afterellen.com/assets/uploads/images/042808house1.jpg

Smiffy
15-02-2016, 09:52 AM

Kikó
15-02-2016, 10:55 AM
I'm powering through Sons of Anarchy. It's brilliant stuff. So easy to watch and keep you hooked.

phonics
15-02-2016, 12:05 PM
I've been rewatching house the last few months. Just started season 4, which means...

http://data.whicdn.com/images/75251677/large.gif

Foe
15-02-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm powering through Sons of Anarchy. It's brilliant stuff. So easy to watch and keep you hooked.

Seven seasons Andy. Seven.

It's pretty good but once you get to 3/4 you start to question where it's going. What season are you on?

John
15-02-2016, 05:36 PM
As is always the case I arrive a little later than planned.

Better Call Saul is very good indeed. :nodd:

The second season of that starts tonight. :drool:

Reg
15-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Really looking forward to it. It's the US that get to watch it tonight. UK Netflix tomorrow.

Alex
15-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Is anyone going to watch that new thing that's started on HBO, "Vinyl"? It's about a record executive in the seventies. Martin Scorsese seems to have been involved in creating it (along with Mick Jagger, but I think he's a bit of a wanker so that doesn't really add much for me), and it looks like he directed the first episode too. Bobby Cannavale is in the lead role as well, I like that guy. I'll probably give it a go.

Manc
15-02-2016, 08:07 PM
http://data.whicdn.com/images/75251677/large.gif

This is captivating.

Kikó
15-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Seven seasons Andy. Seven.

It's pretty good but once you get to 3/4 you start to question where it's going. What season are you on?

Just season 2 so not got to the meandering stage.

Mike
15-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Is anyone going to watch that new thing that's started on HBO, "Vinyl"? It's about a record executive in the seventies. Martin Scorsese seems to have been involved in creating it (along with Mick Jagger, but I think he's a bit of a wanker so that doesn't really add much for me), and it looks like he directed the first episode too. Bobby Cannavale is in the lead role as well, I like that guy. I'll probably give it a go.

Just watched. Seems pretty great! And Thirteen from house is in it ;) she's just above this post playing with her boobs :D

Baz
15-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Just season 2 so not got to the meandering stage.Goes South once they get to the "moss-covered shithole," but it picks back up again. Worth the effort.

Alex
16-02-2016, 01:08 AM
Just watched. Seems pretty great! And Thirteen from house is in it ;) she's just above this post playing with her boobs :D

I've just watched it, and I really liked it as well.

I didn't realise it would be based in real life music history quite as much, that was cool. The guy playing Robert Plant was awful though. I don't know what accent he was supposed to be aiming for but it wasn't the right one, whatever it was meant to be. :D

John
16-02-2016, 01:26 AM
Terence Winter, a man with one of the most incongruous career progressions of all time, is the most attractive presence on that project for me. Obviously Martin Scorsese is a draw but he's basically there as a hands off producer, a role in which he's put his name to all manner of shite.

For reference, Terence Winter went from writing for Sister, Sister, to Xena Warrior Princess, to The Sopranos, to Boardwalk Empire, with a few standalone projects including the 50 Cent film and computer game in between.

I watched the first episode of 'The Magicians' the other night, and while it's an absolute mess in general, the final scene is creepy and strange enough that I'll definitely be downloading at least another episode or two at some point.

Ian
16-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Made a start on Gotham season 2 last night. Obviously some of the actors are still struggling to step through the wreckage of chewed scenery (I realise that the acting will be intended to be that way, to an extent) but it feels like an improvement over season 1 so far.

Still some odd decisions though, such as spinning out Bruce firing Alfred for all of about ten minutes.

The Merse
16-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Parks & Recreation has taken up full morning ruining, body clock warping form for me. I watched season 1 around the time that John was harping on about it and enjoyed it, but season 2 really hooked me and season 3 sees a step up in quality.

Giggles
16-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Made a start on Gotham season 2 last night. Obviously some of the actors are still struggling to step through the wreckage of chewed scenery (I realise that the acting will be intended to be that way, to an extent) but it feels like an improvement over season 1 so far.

Still some odd decisions though, such as spinning out Bruce firing Alfred for all of about ten minutes.

Need to catch up on that next. I think I got around 6 or 7 into it and the things like Making a Murderer took over. Was definitely a massive improvement on the first series.

Browning
16-02-2016, 08:53 AM
Did anyone else watch The People Vs OJ Sinpson last night? I quite enjoyed it and it's got a decent cast for a TV drama, but Travolta looks like a shit wax work of himself.

Mike
16-02-2016, 11:50 AM
I've just watched it, and I really liked it as well.

I didn't realise it would be based in real life music history quite as much, that was cool. The guy playing Robert Plant was awful though. I don't know what accent he was supposed to be aiming for but it wasn't the right one, whatever it was meant to be. :D

The sound track is top too.

Here it is on Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/user/vinylhbo/playlist/5mZKsqHmuwrdu1Bf9u19Ov

randomlegend
16-02-2016, 11:59 AM
I watched 'Plebs' over the last couple of weeks. Thought it might be shit but it's pretty funny.

Reg
17-02-2016, 10:26 PM
I wasn't thrilled by the new Saul episode, but I think it's setting up the season and will pick up in pace. It's always at least interesting though, the camera work and music etc give it quite a unique feel.

What did you think, John and others?

Boydy
17-02-2016, 10:52 PM
Yo phonics, when does Orphan Black start again?

phonics
17-02-2016, 11:00 PM
I follow Tatiana on Twitter and she hasn't even mentioned being in filming. Not for a while I fear.

edit: Yeah just went into production. Filming won't start for a month or two. Maybe June?

Sir Andy Mahowry
17-02-2016, 11:40 PM
I follow Tatiana on Twitter and she hasn't even mentioned being in filming. Not for a while I fear.

edit: Yeah just went into production. Filming won't start for a month or two. Maybe June?
http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/orphan-black/video-extras/orphan-black-returns-april-2016

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/orphan-black-season-4-news-cloning-days-to-spring-soon/38148.htm

April.

Boydy
17-02-2016, 11:48 PM
Too long. :(

John Arne
18-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Started watching Deutschland 83 after my brother recommended it to me - he was born and raised in Germany in the late 70's/early 80's so he bloody loved it - and much to my surprise it has been very good so far, and the music is quality.

wullie
19-02-2016, 02:28 PM
I thought it was great fun, but you have to stop yourself questioning the logic of quite a bit of it. It made East Germany look quite nice too.

igor_balis
19-02-2016, 02:58 PM
I wasn't thrilled by the new Saul episode, but I think it's setting up the season and will pick up in pace. It's always at least interesting though, the camera work and music etc give it quite a unique feel.

What did you think, John and others?

I really enjoyed it, but I'm a massive fan of the show. I actually really like the slow considered pace of it and how low-key it is. Makes a nice contrast to more mile a minute stuff you tend to get from TV drama. I'm not gonna claim it is better than Breaking Bad but I honestly prefer it in a lot of ways.

Reg
19-02-2016, 04:06 PM
I really enjoyed it, but I'm a massive fan of the show. I actually really like the slow considered pace of it and how low-key it is. Makes a nice contrast to more mile a minute stuff you tend to get from TV drama. I'm not gonna claim it is better than Breaking Bad but I honestly prefer it in a lot of ways.
Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. It's less similar to Breaking Bad than I expected and I'm quite glad for that, it certainly stands on its own well. There were a couple episodes of the first season that were up there with the best TV I've seen.

John
19-02-2016, 05:15 PM
The only episode from the first season I'd put anywhere close to the best TV I've seen was also the only one to go for the same tone as Breaking Bad. The Mike Ehrmantraut episode.

I haven't watched the new one yet but I'll get to it at some point over the weekend.

Alex
21-02-2016, 08:11 PM
I've started watching American Crime Story, has anybody else been watching it? It's basically a dramatisation of the OJ Simpson trial. Cuba Gooding Jr plays OJ, John Travolta and David Schwimmer are his lawyers. It seems really good so far.

Browning
21-02-2016, 08:13 PM
I've started watching American Crime Story, has anybody else been watching it? It's basically a dramatisation of the OJ Simpson trial. Cuba Gooding Jr plays OJ, John Travolta and David Schwimmer are his lawyers. It seems really good so far.

Yea I mentioned it a little bit up the page. Really enjoyed the first one looking forward to the car chase episode tomorrow.

John
23-02-2016, 07:12 AM
I watched a couple of episodes of Superstore last night, and it's surprisingly good fun. The creator was a writer, and later a producer on The Office. Colton Dunn is fucking great.

John Arne
23-02-2016, 07:23 AM
I finished Deutschland 83, I thought it was really good. As Wullie said, you have to take it with a pinch of salt towards the end of the season, but it is still great. The music and the set design are proper 80's, and they pull it off with ease. Also the main guy, Jonas Nay, looks more like Daniel Agger in each episode.

The only thing that had me scratching my head was..

Just why was Schweppenstette so hell-bent on war? He must have realised that nuclear war would be a complete disaster for everybody - he even read as much in the NATO report - yet he still kept pushing for it.

leedsrevolution
23-02-2016, 07:40 AM
Currently 9 episodes into the season 1 of American Horror Story. I still don't know if I'm enjoying it or not.

wullie
23-02-2016, 08:55 AM
The only thing that had me scratching my head was..

Just why was Schweppenstette so hell-bent on war? He must have realised that nuclear war would be a complete disaster for everybody - he even read as much in the NATO report - yet he still kept pushing for it.

I think he was so blinded by his own personal advancement he either didn't think that far ahead or just didn't care. I'm glad they didn't do a Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker thing between him and Stamm, I was sure that was coming

John Arne
23-02-2016, 09:07 AM
I think he was so blinded by his own personal advancement he either didn't think that far ahead or just didn't care. I'm glad they didn't do a Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker thing between him and Stamm, I was sure that was coming

Yeah, I'd guessed the relationship pretty early on.
It's kinda worrying (if true), that so little people were in charge of such big decisions - also, a little surprised that the Russian guys making the actual decisions took everything that he said as gospel.
I'm being hypercritical - generally, I really enjoyed it.

Toby
23-02-2016, 10:49 AM
Anybody watching Judd Apatow's new thing on Netflix, Love?

Couple episodes in it seems quite good. Definitely not a patch on Freaks & Geeks, but then very little is.

Baz
23-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Just had my first TO BE CONTINUED on X-Files (S02E05) and it was so :drool:worthy.

Also saw the advert for the new series. Scully looks like a completely different person.

Henry
24-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Finally watched the first episode of War and Peace.

Thought it was excellent, with the exception of the incest bit that wasn't in the book and didn't add anything. Looking forward to the rest.

Reg
24-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Anybody watching Judd Apatow's new thing on Netflix, Love?

Couple episodes in it seems quite good. Definitely not a patch on Freaks & Geeks, but then very little is.
I didn't like the first episode much, thought the second was really good.

QE Harold Flair
25-02-2016, 01:09 AM
This American Crime Story is quite excellent. I just wish I could watch it all in one go.

Bernanke
25-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Billions is actually pretty solid.

Boydy
25-02-2016, 08:26 AM
Bernanke I'm actually watching the Americans now and not just taking the piss out of you. It's great.

Bernanke
25-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Bernanke I'm actually watching the Americans now and not just taking the piss out of you. It's great.

S4 in three weeks. :drool: How far in are you?

Toby
25-02-2016, 10:37 AM
I didn't like the first episode much, thought the second was really good.

I'm really enjoying it, although Mickey is such a complete arsehole that the storyline feels a bit shaky. It's hard to accept he would still put up with her just because they spent one nice day together, especially when various other attractive women appear in the story.

But, it's funny enough that it doesn't need to be taken seriously. Renewed for a second season already too. If only the previously mentioned Freaks and Geeks had been made in the age of Netflix.

Boydy
25-02-2016, 10:51 AM
S4 in three weeks. :drool: How far in are you?

In the middle of season 2. I thought it was the fifth season that was coming out soon. Quite disappointed I'll have to watch it weekly sooner than I thought.

Baz
25-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Mrs Ari Gold popping up in season 2 of the X-Files couldn't save what is potentially the worst episode of anything I've ever seen. :nono:

simon
25-02-2016, 08:15 PM
I don't think I'll ever tire of Impractical Jokers.

Reg
25-02-2016, 08:18 PM
It's great isn't it? The new season is just as good.

simon
25-02-2016, 08:28 PM
I've just watched the one where they're in the library and I was actually in tears. So simple but so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnp46b6D74Y

Ian
25-02-2016, 08:29 PM
The new series of Gotham is definitely an improvement but the Nygma storyline is boooooooooooooooring. Which is a shame because I think the actor is decent enough.

Baz
25-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Sal doing the dentist is the best ever.

phonics
25-02-2016, 09:32 PM
The first 15 minutes of an episode of The Good Wife just came on and we all went silent and got suddenly engrossed in it. I'm definitely copping the first season.

Dquincy
25-02-2016, 10:43 PM
I don't think I'll ever tire of Impractical Jokers.

Hell yes, one of my favourite programmes.

Dquincy
26-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Watching A League of Their Own. Nicole Scherzinger is so hot. Admittedly, there's a lot of make up.

Shindig
26-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Just watched the first episode of the Night Manager. I renewed my license fee on Wednesday. I regret both of these decisions.

1. Don't treat Le Carre's work like its Fleming. He does not have a Bond.
2. You're lucky if you get a sentence in the books to imply two characters have fucked. Here you get a full-blown sex scene and some dodgy flashbacks. No need. Especially as Pine comes off in the book as a pervy tit who got his end away with a woman twice his age.
3. You don't need to zoom in on something several times to convey IMPORTANCE.
4. Neither do you need captions for locations when well-known landmarks are in shot. "Where are these Pyramids? CAIRO!? FANKS!"

I'm seeing it through to see how they handle some shit. Namely the thing that made me put the book down in shock. Plus I like Hugh Laurie.

Alex
27-02-2016, 02:37 AM
I'm really enjoying it, although Mickey is such a complete arsehole that the storyline feels a bit shaky. It's hard to accept he would still put up with her just because they spent one nice day together, especially when various other attractive women appear in the story.

But, it's funny enough that it doesn't need to be taken seriously. Renewed for a second season already too. If only the previously mentioned Freaks and Geeks had been made in the age of Netflix.

She really is the worst, isn't she? I've just watched episode eight and I want to fucking kill her. I think they try and justify her behaviour by giving her these "issues" and trying to make her all complex and troubled, but even then she still comes across as a complete cunt.

It's not a bad little show though, I'm enjoying it. Very watchable.

SvN
27-02-2016, 10:55 AM
The first 15 minutes of an episode of The Good Wife just came on and we all went silent and got suddenly engrossed in it. I'm definitely copping the first season.

It's pretty good, and at times, it's excellent. The first 4 seasons or so in particular.

It's currently on season 7, and the last few episodes that have come out have been total tripe though. It's really losing its way.

Reg
28-02-2016, 11:40 PM
I finished "Love" last night.

Funny and quite consuming all the way through. The dialogue was quite clever and the conversations definitely seemed real. Toward the end I was thinking that it was impressive that a show can be likeable with such dislikeable lead characters. They got more dislikeable as the season went on. I did think at one point "This is just a show about douchebags" which slightly stifled my enthusiasm. Bertie was likeable but she was just an add-on at times.

The biggest issue though was the unshakable feeling that it didn't really go anywhere. The characters, really, didn't have much of a journey. We just got to know them a bit better - they didn't change with each episode. The linear nature of the storyline - often episodes seemed like we literally followed their every move without any jumps in time - might have limited what the writers could do.

The ending was unsatisfying and I actually thought it must be the second last episode.

I've seen a second season is planned for next year but it still could have reached a better resolution, or at least come up with a good cliffhanger.

Despite my grumbles, it was pretty good and I'll probably recommend it to people. The laughs to episode ratio saved it really.

Toby
28-02-2016, 11:54 PM
"Going somewhere" is overrated.

Watch Master of None next if you haven't already. It's similar but far better.

Reg
28-02-2016, 11:56 PM
Yeah I liked Master of None, that was very good. The obsession with using their phones was a bit weird.

wullie
29-02-2016, 08:54 AM
I watched the first two episodes of Love last night. I hope that they're just going to end up having adventures as friends as I buy them as a couple less than Britta and the big fat cult guy who lives with his mum.

The Merse
01-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Yeah I liked Master of None, that was very good. The obsession with using their phones was a bit weird.

Is it? The whole premise is as a humourous commentary on the lives of modern late twenties-mid thirties people. Queue forced quirkiness, awkward sex, awkward dates, lack of appreciation, sense of entitlement and the redemption of both failings... Why wouldn't being chained to a mobile device be a part of that?

The Merse
01-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Just watched the first episode of the Night Manager. I renewed my license fee on Wednesday. I regret both of these decisions.

2. You're lucky if you get a sentence in the books to imply two characters have fucked. Here you get a full-blown sex scene and some dodgy flashbacks. No need. Especially as Pine comes off in the book as a pervy tit who got his end away with a woman twice his age.
4. Neither do you need captions for locations when well-known landmarks are in shot. "Where are these Pyramids? CAIRO!? FANKS!"

I'm seeing it through to see how they handle some shit. Namely the thing that made me put the book down in shock. Plus I like Hugh Laurie.

Ah fuck. As a massive le Carre fan I want this to be great, but have had a foreboding feeling that they'd fuck it up in exactly the kind of ways you outline.

The Merse
01-03-2016, 06:50 PM

Ah fuck. As a massive le Carre fan I want this to be great, but have had a foreboding feeling that they'd fuck it up in exactly the kind of ways you outline.

Shindig
01-03-2016, 07:10 PM
My biggest problem in episode 2 is Olivia Coleman's flat delivery. She's concentrating too hard to be Yorkshire. Tom's getting a bit too Hugh Grant. Overall, they're trying to make this like a film.

Reg
01-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Is it? The whole premise is as a humourous commentary on the lives of modern late twenties-mid thirties people. Queue forced quirkiness, awkward sex, awkward dates, lack of appreciation, sense of entitlement and the redemption of both failings... Why wouldn't being chained to a mobile device be a part of that?
That's a fair interpretation but I didn't take the series as deliberate a plan as that. I think he just wanted to represent what his own life was like and have some laughs.

Shindig
01-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Neil fucking Morrissey is in this!? Source material's getting me through this. Its okay but they did this spy stuff so much better 30 years ago.

Raoul Duke
01-03-2016, 07:55 PM
I watched the first two episodes of Love last night. I hope that they're just going to end up having adventures as friends as I buy them as a couple less than Britta and the big fat cult guy who lives with his mum.

Yeah, that was some terrible casting. Paul Rust just looks like a Bo Selecta version of Sean Penn as well, which keeps putting me off. I liked what I've seen so far though.

This looks pretty good as well. Very Arrested Development:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKOpvm7BcOo

Shindig
01-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Paul Rust, eh? I took one glance and thought it was Andy Dick. There's your silver lining.

Baz
01-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Neil fucking Morrissey is in this!? Source material's getting me through this. Its okay but they did this spy stuff so much better 30 years ago.What's wrong with Neil Morrissey? :D He was boss in Men Behaving Badly, although admittedly Martin Clunes carried some episodes, and I saw him as Fagan in Oliver Twist at the theatre and he made it worthwhile.

Shindig
01-03-2016, 10:03 PM
He's not the man you want in Whitehall deciding government funding. That's what. Martin Clunes, perhaps.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Sadly, I'm now all caught up with The Americans :(

It's going to suck watching it weekly.

Boydy
04-03-2016, 12:06 AM
I'm on season three now and I'm dreading getting to that point.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-03-2016, 12:22 AM
I slowed down a lot in the hopes of, at the very least, episode one of the new season being out.

I failed miserably though.

Started Making a Murderer though...

phonics
06-03-2016, 01:21 AM
How did no-one mention that a new season of House of Cards is out?

Bernanke
06-03-2016, 01:26 AM
I've watched 2 episodes. Can't say I'm that excited really. I was kinda sick of Spaceys southern drawl by the end of S2 already.

Sir Andy Mahowry
06-03-2016, 01:29 AM
I've watched 2 episodes. Can't say I'm that excited really. I was kinda sick of Spaceys southern drawl by the end of S2 already.

I was sick of it within the first minute of the very first episode.

I also hated the constant fourth wall breaking so never made it past episode 1, which is a shame as it's so highly rated.

Giggles
06-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Fourth wall breaking?

ItalAussie
06-03-2016, 11:02 AM

Master of None got pretty heavy towards the end, which kind of blind-sided me.

I liked it, but I don't think I absolutely loved it.

Bernanke
06-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Fourth wall breaking?

Spacey constantly talks directly to the viewer.

Giggles
06-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Spacey constantly talks directly to the viewer.

Ah right. Fuck that.

Shindig
06-03-2016, 12:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBV0yCVcRTY

Don't knock it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOA_2yIAQxo&ebc

SO GOOD!

Alan Shearer The 2nd
07-03-2016, 04:50 AM
I was away to say the original did it too. It suits the nature of the show although it worked better for the first 2 seasons when there was more cunning and manipulation involved.

Raoul Duke
07-03-2016, 08:44 AM
I'm the opposite - I love 4th-wall breaking stuff (but I'd agree it worked better in the first couple of seasons).

I wasn't that into last season so hopefully it'll pick itself up. I can see the story arc a mile off though: it'll be Frank vs. Claire, they'll reconcile towards the end and then she'll do a Hillary.

Ian
07-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Watched the first of the new episodes of Happy Valley last night. I'm a bit concerned that the main story from last year and the main story from this one are linked because coincidence but otherwise a good start.

Henry
07-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Done with War and Peace.

Decent as far as these things go. Obviously not an experience that compares in any way with reading the book.

Bernanke
07-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Anyone seen the clown show with Zach Galifinakis? The trailer is kind of promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5yuV0q61s8

I am a cloun!

Sir Andy Mahowry
07-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Louis CK involved, might get on it.

Alex
07-03-2016, 07:54 PM
It's really good. I think it is, anyway. It's got a really nice mixture of straight up comedy, weirdness and genuine ,often quite touching, little moments.

The casting of a bloke (Louie Anderson) as his mother on it is legitimately brilliant. Not in a "haha, it's a man in a dress" way either, he's actually fantastic in it.

Alex
07-03-2016, 08:00 PM
How did no-one mention that a new season of House of Cards is out?

I'm loving season four so far. I'm half way through and it's already better than season three. I don't know how far people are so I'll spoiler this, but I've just watched episode seven and it ends so brilliantly.

"We're going to destroy them"

"Yes, we are"

The young Republican hotshot doesn't know what he's getting into. A fully reconciled Frank and Claire Underwood, back on the same page and ready to fuck peoples lives up and leave a trail of destruction in their wake. :drool:

Shindig
07-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Watching Sunday's Night Manager at the minute. That surveillance sequence was fucking awful. Makes Burr look like a fucking shambles of a spy. Also, she got pregnant quick. Okay, Pine's perving on women again.

At least the office stuff was well done. Dunno why they've given Burr a workplace extra-marital relationship. Presumably to give the bloke out the Fast Show some more lines.

Dquincy
08-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Watching Men Behaving Badly on Gold.

It's still bloody brilliant.

Foe
08-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Watching Men Behaving Badly on Gold.

It's still bloody brilliant.

I love it. It's one of the comedies I have on rotation for watching in bed.

Max Power
09-03-2016, 11:44 PM
House of Cards season four is done. Probably the best since the first, especially the second half of the season after the 'event'. They made it crazier and hammier and made less attempts to make serious deep political points. Entertaining stuff.

phonics
10-03-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm up to Episode 9 just after the meeting with Underwood and Conway. I saw people complaining that 'nothing has happened' when something seems to happen 4-5 times an episode. Some of them have felt long though.

Vim
10-03-2016, 11:21 AM
I think it was the best season together with S1. Conway was really entertaining to watch and was a nice foil to Underwood.

He is very similar in his mentality to Frank, which is great to see. At some points I was there just wishing we could see the two of them battling it out (with the two wives battling each other in the background) without distraction from the journalist plot.

Speaking of the wives, "do you regret having them?". :drool:

phonics
10-03-2016, 06:48 PM
How were people getting mad at this season of House of Cards

http://www.chicagonow.com/couple-critics/files/2014/03/House-of-Cards-6.jpg

"My apology. You a mother fucker. MR. PRESIDENT"

Boydy
10-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Finished season 3 of The Americans yesterday. Is the new one out yet?

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-03-2016, 07:10 PM

16th of March :(

I miss not having an episode to watch.

Bernanke
10-03-2016, 07:26 PM

As someone who binged it, rank the seasons for me please.

Boydy
10-03-2016, 07:28 PM
I don't really know. They kind of just blur into one since I did binge it.

igor_balis
11-03-2016, 06:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDLkDmzhJQ

ace

Boydy
12-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Two episodes in to the latest season of House of Cards and I don't think I can be arsed with it any more. The last season was pretty meh all round and this seems very much the same. I just don't care about anyone in it. They're all shits.

Alex
12-03-2016, 07:38 PM
I liked season four a lot more than season three. Without giving anything away, if you're a couple of episodes in I would give it at least another two episodes before giving up on it Boyd.

Bernanke
12-03-2016, 09:16 PM
S1 > S4 > S2 > S3 imo. 3 was really bad.

Boydy
13-03-2016, 02:29 AM
Season 3 of Broad City has started. I hadn't realised. Just watched the first episode. It was brilliant. This is probably the best comedy about at the minute, I reckon.

Boydy
13-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Season 3 of Broad City has started. I hadn't realised. Just watched the first episode. It was brilliant. This is probably the best comedy about at the minute, I reckon.

igor_balis you'll enjoy this. If not, I'll give you your money back.

igor_balis
13-03-2016, 05:32 PM
igor_balis you'll enjoy this. If not, I'll give you your money back.

Cheers boydbro. I'll neg you to fuck if it's shite.

Toby
13-03-2016, 05:35 PM
I'll neg you to fuck if it's shite.

Also going to have a look at that.

Started on Flaked today. Seems okay but nothing at all like Arrested Development.

Raoul Duke
13-03-2016, 05:41 PM

Also going to have a look at that.

Started on Flaked today. Seems okay but nothing at all like Arrested Development.

I watched a bunch of them yesterday. It was alright, but a bit aimless. It's watchable, but not a lot really happens.

Heather Graham though :drool:

John
13-03-2016, 05:44 PM
I watched an episode of Broad City just after the first season finished and it all seemed a bit tryhard. There were a couple of chuckles but it seemed like a first attempt from people who might do something brilliant in future.

I'll give it another go at some point if it's being talked up to that extent.

Toby
13-03-2016, 05:48 PM
I watched a bunch of them yesterday. It was alright, but a bit aimless. It's watchable, but not a lot really happens.

Heather Graham though :drool:

Yeah I was starting to get that impression. Good soundtrack too though, if we're picking highlights.

Ian
13-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Did anybody else watch Stag on the Beeb over the last few weeks? I went in with low expectations and thought most of the characters being arseholes would ruin it but I rather enjoyed it in the end. Doesn't do anything that numerous load-of-people-being-picked-off-by-a-killer things haven't done before but it was done quite well.

Clunge
14-03-2016, 12:49 AM
I watched all three and thought it was complete horseshit. Shame because I can't think of a single thing Reece Sheersmith has got mixed up in that I haven't loved. The 'twist' was blindingly obvious, none of the characters - even Ian - was remotely likeable and while I know it's supposed to be a silly black comedy, I couldn't engage myself in a show that portrayed such OTT 'blokey, matey, laddish' friendships that just don't exist to that extent. And the fact the environment would have killed them before anything else. It's even more the shame it was done so badly bdcause it wasn't a half-bad idea. A stag do where the (quite literal) hunters become the hunted.

I just expected it to be darker and more twisted, closer to something like The League of Gentlemen. Or perhaps I just got carried away when I saw Sheersmith was in it.

Shindig
14-03-2016, 02:15 PM
Jeremy Kyle has a show now where he leers at 'brave' people in hospital. Highlights include a full shot of a transgender's new cock.

Ian
14-03-2016, 06:59 PM
OTT 'blokey, matey, laddish' friendships that just don't exist to that extent.

I think they do, sadly. Just not amongst people who aren't bastards.

I get why you might hate it though. There's a lot that probably would have annoyed me were it a film rather than having it an hour at a time.

Ian
14-03-2016, 09:34 PM
I'm finally working my way through season 7 of Parks and Rec and just watched "Leslie and Ron." Can't remember which episode it reminds me of ("Ron and Tammy", maybe?) in terms of Ron/Leslie interaction but it's just brilliant. Ron and Leslie's reasons for their particular predicament in the previous few episodes are totally in keeping with their characters (and in Ron's case, in keeping with his development through the various series of the show) and both acted their parts superbly.

John
14-03-2016, 09:56 PM
That's the one I've cited in the past as probably my favourite episode of the whole thing. There are laughs, but it shifts and does the emotional stuff brilliantly. Not far off a perfect episode in my eyes.

Ian
14-03-2016, 10:02 PM
It's funny how, because of the characters, a relatively small thing (the catch-up at JJs that never happened), is a genuinely big moment. They didn't have to concoct some daft scenario to trigger the break-down in their relationship.

John
14-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Absolutely. It's all so well drawn that they can make a small moment like that a big thing in the lives of the characters and it doesn't take any manufactured drama to make it real. It's a silly comedy with people uncontrollably farting and sneezing themselves into concussions, but I struggle to think of any show that's nailed the relationships as well, romantic or otherwise.

Clunge
15-03-2016, 12:18 AM
I think they do, sadly. Just not amongst people who aren't bastards.

I get why you might hate it though. There's a lot that probably would have annoyed me were it a film rather than having it an hour at a time.
Not to the extent where people turn a blind eye to their 'mates' being killed. That, to me, just breaks any kind of narrative in it. You just don't get a group of 6-8 friends were ALL of them lacks any kind of empathy whatsoever. Blegghhh, I think I'm/we are reading too much into it. It was just shit frankly.

Toby
15-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Four episodes into Flaked now and sadly have to conclude that it's just a bit crap.

Bernanke
16-03-2016, 02:38 PM
The Americans starts tonight. :nodd:

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Finally.

Ian
16-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Really looking forward to new Daredevil on Friday. They release the episodes in a one-r right?

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Yep.

Can't wait to knock that out this weekend.

Oh and in related news, Luke Cage is getting his series on the 30th of September.

Ian
16-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Cage, Iron Fist then whatever their mini-Avengers is going to be called, right? Maybe another series of Jessica Jones.

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-03-2016, 08:18 PM
Definitely another series of Jessica Jones, they're developing it now.

They've cast Ser Loras to be Iron Fist.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-03-2016, 08:30 PM
I've just remembered that they've also commissioned a Punisher series after liking the character so much in Daredevil.

Jeet
18-03-2016, 09:01 PM
OMG The Flash and Supergirl crossover ep 28th March
http://screenrant.com/supergirl-flash-crossover-kara-barry-race/

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-03-2016, 12:45 AM
Daredevil season 2 has started so damn well.

Kikó
19-03-2016, 01:17 AM
Sons of Anarchy hasn't really dipped for me and I'm near the end of season 4. It's not as good as something like the shield but a solid Milner.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-03-2016, 01:36 AM
Done with Daredevil.

Really didn't think I'd carve through it that quickly as I was actually hoping I'd watch the last few whilst flying to Poland next week. I thought it was great though and just couldn't stop the 'Oh just one more' voice in my head.

Season one is better by a fair distance for me, primarily because there was no real enemy for most of it. Great performance by Bernthal as the Punisher but when you go from Fisk who was outstanding to two anti-heroes in Punisher and Elektra things just don't add up very well. Plus, in the Jessica Jones you had Kilgore who was also fantastic. Fisk's cameo was far too short but so damn good too.

I thought the action scenes were a little better choreographed this time round though, they just felt better.

One major flaw was the ninja army The Hand though. I just didn't like how Matt had so much trouble hearing them. I can understand them managing to slow their heartbeats down but Murdock has ridiculous super human hearing. I mean Stick having to coach him (from christ knows how many floors away) to listen to their breaths was a little too much. At the end of the day he'd have heard their breaths well enough or even just the sound of their clothing as they moved.

On the whole though, I did think it was great. I'm also glad that it sounds that a Punisher series will be made as I love the character, I also loved them tying in the x-ray of his skull.

I think it also sets everything up nicely. I'm assuming that the Defenders series will be all the main heroes rallying against The Hand to stop Elektra/Black Sky which should be good.

simon
20-03-2016, 10:53 AM
Finished House of Cards the other day. It was a big improvement from season 3 and I'm excited to see where they go in the new season.

Frank. :cool:

Ian
20-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Daredevil season 2 has started so damn well.

I watched the first three last night. Episode 3 with:

the lengthy chat between Daredevil and Punisher and then that fight sequence down the stairs

was absolutely superb.

Alex
20-03-2016, 11:47 AM
I'm a couple more episodes further along than you Ian, but I agree about episode three.

The fight sequence was ridiculously good. It reminded me a lot of the extended hallway fight scene in the first season, except they made a point of showing how much of a better fighter he is now.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-03-2016, 01:08 PM
I watched the first three last night. Episode 3 with:

the lengthy chat between Daredevil and Punisher and then that fight sequence down the stairs

was absolutely superb.

Yep, I loved that episode and fight scene.

It was brilliantly done.

Baz
20-03-2016, 02:10 PM
Realised something that needed correcting, the other day: I've never seen Freaks And Geeks.

Watched the first (of 18?) episode before. Seems totally ace!

The girl who plays Lindsay is sooooooo :drool: too.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4b5ecDCyG1qb4haro1_540.jpg

Foe
20-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Send a pm this way on where you're watching it. I've seen it a long time ago (swear it was on channel 4 or something) but wouldn't mind giving it another go.

Ian
21-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Finished second series of Daredevil. Really good.

I think it was a bit of a shame that, given Bernthal was so good and Castle so well-written, that his best stuff was front-loaded and the slightly less interesting (to me) stuff with the Hand ended up more prominent. I also think, with that in mind, the second half of the first series felt like it had a bit more momentum because it had Kingpin there as a focal point and his stuff was really escalating. I like that they didn't feel the need to introduce a new villain for the sake of it because this meant they could focus instead on Castle, Elektra and the main three protagonists.

Episode 3 was probably still the highlight for me but there was plenty of good stuff throughout and some great action scenes. I'll be interested to see if the quality stays high with Luke Cage later in the year.

Alex
21-03-2016, 09:41 PM
I got to the end of episode eight last night.

Fisk!

I had a massive grin on my face when that happened, because for some reason it didn't occur to me at all that it would be him. Such a good ending to the episode. I loved Stick being back as well.

Foggy and Karen annoy me quite a bit though (Foggy in particular), part of me wishes the pair of them would just fuck off so we could focus on the main stuff. Although the Punisher courtroom stuff was really good.

The bird playing Elektra. :wub:

I'm not quite sure what accent she's trying to pull off though.