PDA

View Full Version : Do we live in a golden age of television?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

The Merse
22-02-2020, 10:39 AM
3 episodes into Hunters and it's made a very good start. It's classic Tarantino-esque nonsense, a revenge fantasy played out by underdeveloped cartoonish anti-heroes, but it's good fun.

Ian
22-02-2020, 10:40 AM
Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane) has been cast in The Witcher :cool:

I really like the character he's playing too and was hoping that short story would be told.

Lambert and Eskel to be in it too. :cool:

igor_balis
22-02-2020, 02:04 PM
Never knew you could torrent any more.

Limewire it. BrooklynNineNine.exe, 1mb, sorted

Bernanke
22-02-2020, 02:20 PM
Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane) has been cast in The Witcher :cool:

I really like the character he's playing too and was hoping that short story would be told.

Lambert and Eskel to be in it too. :cool:

No Vesemir cast yet though... Still holding out hope for this:

https://i.redd.it/4ghy9p0r4w641.jpg

Alex
22-02-2020, 03:13 PM
I read somewhere recently that they offered the Vesemir role to Michael Keaton and Mads Mikkelson but they both passed on it. I don't see it at all with keaton but I think Mikkelson would have been ace. Everyone seems to want (and expect) Mark Hammil to play him.

John Arne
23-02-2020, 03:56 PM
Started watching Avenue 5 - the space one with Hugh Laurie. So far, fucking awful.

Ian
23-02-2020, 07:01 PM
I've watched two of those and it's not great,

Luca
24-02-2020, 05:43 PM
The new season of Homeland is shaping up to be a cracker.

I think Carrie gave up a significant amount of intel in prison, and I think she's being gaslighted by Yevgeny (the suicide thing seems too convenient).

Engineering a US-led peace process and then intervening to have it all go Pete Tong, thereby embarrassing them on a global scale and obliterating their credibility, is a good plan.

Kikó
24-02-2020, 10:07 PM
Okay I'm going to say it, Picard is boring.

Giggles
24-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Okay I'm going to say it, Picard is boring.

It’s downright bad. I thought the needless gore was a low point in the series but I wasn’t prepared for hammy French pirate Picard.

The Merse
25-02-2020, 12:23 PM
That last episode nearly lost me altogether. Contrived as fuck and pantomime-esque even by Star Trek standards. I'll probably still keep watching as there's fuck all HBO have done I've not seen now.

I also finished Hunters already. It's got things you can poke and prod at with an uber-critical eye, but like the Tarantino fare it's been universally compared with, it remains gloriously fun if you like that sort of thing.

Also, the foreshadowing of the Wolf reveal was very well done - the surgical hand washing, the Wolf killing the Republican ultra bint whilst she was mid sentence halfway through the season... all subtle enough to avoid being predictable, which I find to be as rare as hobby horse shit in most of what I've seen lately - I'm looking at you, Outsider

Giggles
25-02-2020, 12:47 PM
The bar scene was like one of those old bad holodeck episodes they used to do to keep the cast interested.

Disco
25-02-2020, 01:01 PM
I'll be honest it sounds great, I love all the traditional hokey rubbish Star Trek used to do.

Giggles
25-02-2020, 01:36 PM
That's before you get to the pilot (who inexplicably just helps despite his whole character thus far being the opposite) dressed as a pimp. The game of thrones elf didn't have to dress up.

It's all very Star Wars actually.

Kikó
25-02-2020, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure what excited Patrick Stewart in this script. It's completely lost it's anchor with Picard not a captain of a normal ship. The holiday tour picking up characters and dropping them off is just downright boring. Get to the Borg cube or give up.

mugbull
25-02-2020, 10:21 PM
Are seasons 2 and 3 of Broadchurch worth watching? Season 1 was a solid chill bingey type but I don't really know what there is to keep it going

Yevrah
25-02-2020, 10:26 PM
I think I watched a bit of 2 and it was shit.

Manc
25-02-2020, 10:29 PM
Get 'em watched.

mugbull
26-02-2020, 08:44 AM
Ok, I'll watch with one eye closed and the cursor hovering on the Back button

Ian
26-02-2020, 10:01 AM
I think I watched a bit of 2 and it was shit.

This was what happened with me. I think this was a bit of a minority opinion though.

John
26-02-2020, 10:22 AM
I gave up on two early on, but I watched all of three and thought it was very good.

SvN
26-02-2020, 10:24 AM
Three was definitely a big improvement on two, but didn't reach the heights of the first season.

Bernanke
26-02-2020, 10:48 AM
Man, Homeland is so much better when it's just decently written contemporary spy shit instead of the family drama of many previous seasons.

igor_balis
26-02-2020, 02:22 PM
Better call saul is so good.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
26-02-2020, 05:56 PM
I also gave up on season 2 of Broadchurch after a couple of episodes. Remember one scene in particular when it was just an 'oh ffs' moment.

Wasn't going to bother with season 3 but John had said you could dive into it without missing much and he wasn't wrong. May not be quite good as the first season but they did set the bar very high. Definitely get it watched.

Giggles
28-02-2020, 09:25 PM
This is better than the show itself.

https://youtu.be/Uv-wmixiiMA

Kikó
28-02-2020, 09:59 PM
Episode 6 was actually pretty good. Hopefully we've gone past the set up now.

Giggles
28-02-2020, 10:01 PM
Yeah in fairness it was. Best one of the series so far and a good bit of movement in the story.

Alex
29-02-2020, 05:38 PM
I read somewhere recently that they offered the Vesemir role to Michael Keaton and Mads Mikkelson but they both passed on it. I don't see it at all with keaton but I think Mikkelson would have been ace. Everyone seems to want (and expect) Mark Hammil to play him.

They cast the bloke who plays Konstantin in Killing Eve. Interesting.

Ian
29-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Hamill always felt like a reach.

Boydy
29-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Finished season 1 of Justified last night. Wasn't sure about it earlier on but was loving it by the end of the season.

igor_balis
29-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Am I the only person still watching BCS, then?

Alex
29-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Finished season 1 of Justified last night. Wasn't sure about it earlier on but was loving it by the end of the season.

It's ace and generally just gets better and better, if my memory serves me correctly. A fantastic cast of characters (always great villains in particular) and some of the best written dialogue in the history of television.

It also helps that I've got a bit of a man-crush on Timothy Olyphant. :D

The Merse
29-02-2020, 10:37 PM

Watched the first episode of the new season and it was strong, but waiting on my missus getting home from a couple of weeks away working tomorrow to get on with the next couple of episodes. I may re-watch the first episode in anticipation tomorrow...

Giggles
01-03-2020, 06:03 PM
I never thought I’d say it, mainly because I never thought anyone would have the ideas to give him a go at it, but Tommy Tiernan’s char show is such a welcome breath of fresh air from the norm.

Boydy
01-03-2020, 07:20 PM
I never thought I’d say it, mainly because I never thought anyone would have the ideas to give him a go at it, but Tommy Tiernan’s char show is such a welcome breath of fresh air from the norm.

How does it work? Surely there must be people who come out and he's like 'who are you?'

Giggles
01-03-2020, 07:23 PM
How does it work? Surely there must be people who come out and he's like 'who are you?'

There have been, but he’s a good habit of listening and getting a feel for things. This week he asked the middle guest (the monk) exactly that.

He definitely listens more though and is fairly considered in questioning rather than the by-numbers promo stuff you get from Tubridy or Ray D’Arcy.

Giggles
01-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Even if the episodes weren’t shit, Marge’s voice in the latest Simpsons make them unwatchable.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
01-03-2020, 09:13 PM
Watched the first episode of the new season and it was strong, but waiting on my missus getting home from a couple of weeks away working tomorrow to get on with the next couple of episodes. I may re-watch the first episode in anticipation tomorrow...

I did not clock the second episode came out the day after the first, as opposed to tomorrow. Away to watch that now.

Giggles
05-03-2020, 08:29 PM

Just seen that segments are up online when I was looking for a Lyra performance on the show. No way this lad on Tubridy goes the same way. Roddy Doyle was good too.

https://youtu.be/OFYXIdJo_BU

Reg
06-03-2020, 09:37 PM

I've been watching. I thought the third episode was very good.

It's probably the most engrossing show I've watched in the last few years, even if it hasn't been the most amazing/funny/heartbreaking etc. Clever pacing and direction, and the actress who plays Kim is great I think.

igor_balis
08-03-2020, 07:19 PM
I am not okay with this is really great.

The Merse
09-03-2020, 12:04 AM
Hmm, hovered over that tonight, might give it a go as The Outsider ends tomorrow.

Last Picard episode was excellent, after a solid effort the week before. Actually picking up a nice head of steam and some half decent reveals, which makes ep 4 & 5 all the more confusing in just how awful they were.

Baz
09-03-2020, 06:41 AM
I quite enjoyed the first episode of Noughts & Crosses. Never read the book but know a bit about it, and the attention to detail is great.

The brown plasters was a proper “oh okay why have I never thought about that” moment for me.

Lewis
13-03-2020, 03:39 PM
The new series of This Country is the best one yet.

Jimmy Floyd
13-03-2020, 03:57 PM
I haven't watched a single second of it. Maybe I should make it my first Covid watch.

Sir Andy Mahowry
13-03-2020, 04:11 PM
I saw a small clip the other day, will have to get on it.

randomlegend
13-03-2020, 05:08 PM
The new series of This Country is the best one yet.

Mandy's book club stories :D

Giggles
13-03-2020, 05:10 PM
I had a look through Netflix and there’s fuck all I want to watch on it, unless there’s something unknown’s to me, so I’m just going to watch DS9 right through again.

Disco
13-03-2020, 09:35 PM
I had a look through Netflix and there’s fuck all I want to watch on it, unless there’s something unknown’s to me, so I’m just going to watch DS9 right through again.

I finished going through Next Gen again about a week ago and if there's no racing anywhere then I may just grab the first series and join you.

Giggles
13-03-2020, 09:40 PM
I finished going through Next Gen again about a week ago and if there's no racing anywhere then I may just grab the first series and join you.

I actually went back and watched a few of the big main episodes of TNG recently myself, after a full re-watch of Voyager. Going back in my mind though DS9 was definitely the strongest for me as a series, I wonder how it’s all held up.

Disco
13-03-2020, 10:54 PM
For me TNG is good right off the bat and has better individual episodes, the end is also not guff and Patrick Stewart is the best. But I'm not sure it can better the 2-3 series run of consistently good stuff that DS9 does.

mo
14-03-2020, 06:54 AM
I didn’t realise how far behind I was on Inside No. 9, so watched the first episode of series 3 last night. Probably should have seen the end coming in hindsight but it got me.

Giggles
14-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Sisko is such a fucking legend :cool:

Baz
15-03-2020, 09:32 AM
The Stand is being remade.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2491642/why-filming-stephen-king-the-stand-has-been-crazy-during-coronavirus-scare

Questionable timing...

Ian
15-03-2020, 09:45 AM
It was announced about three years ago, wasn't it?

Giggles
15-03-2020, 09:45 AM
Can you get away with random episodes of Drive to Survive?

Jimmy Floyd
15-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Pretty much, although there are loose 'storylines' that run through the series, but each episode has its own sort of focus.

Kikó
15-03-2020, 11:33 AM
I liked the latest Picard but I'm not keen on the pacing at all. The best thing about the older series was you could have a well explained stand alone episode which never felt rushed. Here we dip into set pieces then out rapidly before it's really explored.

Giggles
15-03-2020, 11:35 AM
Definitely all over the shop.

And as soon as those holograms appear they have to be muted, and Rios coincidentally being involved in the main story line all along was absolutely ridiculous.

Kikó
15-03-2020, 12:07 PM
Yeah agree. It's such an outlandish coincidence that it's hard to get past it. Still, at least we got to see Riker.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-03-2020, 12:29 PM
Watched most of This Country last night and I loved it.

Giggles
15-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Yeah agree. It's such an outlandish coincidence that it's hard to get past it. Still, at least we got to see Riker.

Should have just done the whole series at Rikers gaff, had Worf drop in and forgot about the robots.

The Merse
15-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Watched most of This Country last night and I loved it.

Latest episode is probably the best yet. Superb stuff.Having spent a year living and working in Gloucestershire, I support this version of the Cotswalds wholeheartedly.

The Merse
15-03-2020, 06:32 PM
I liked the latest Picard but I'm not keen on the pacing at all. The best thing about the older series was you could have a well explained stand alone episode which never felt rushed. Here we dip into set pieces then out rapidly before it's really explored.

Yeh it's picked up in quality but it's all over the shop in terms of pacing. I need to re-watch the last one actually as I was distracted as fuck at the time.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Latest episode is probably the best yet. Superb stuff.Having spent a year living and working in Gloucestershire, I support this version of the Cotswalds wholeheartedly.

Just finished watching it and I'd agree.

Baz
15-03-2020, 10:51 PM
I need to get back in This Country. The last episode I watched she waS going to jail because of her dad where am I upto?

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-03-2020, 11:35 PM
That was the last episode of season 2.

You've got a special and then season 3 (which is 4 episodes deep right now) to watch.

Baz
16-03-2020, 06:51 AM
:youpi:

Thanks.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-03-2020, 12:50 AM
Decided to start on The IT Crowd and whilst the first season was pretty good, the opener to the second season is brilliant.

Browning
18-03-2020, 12:54 AM
The whole of it is fantastic, but yea, it definitely picks up after season 1.

Ian
18-03-2020, 07:52 AM
Just try to avoid Linehan's real life thoughts on..... well, anything really.

Shindig
18-03-2020, 09:06 AM
Aye, he's a bit of a twitter twat.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-03-2020, 12:21 PM
Just try to avoid Linehan's real life thoughts on..... well, anything really.

I have seen. He's a massive twat.

Ian
19-03-2020, 08:52 AM
The further I get into Watchmen (two episodes to go) the more I fear that it might be a load of old shit.

I suppose it has two episodes to tie everything together but I'm not really feeling the main story arcs as it's currently panning out or the thing as much of a sequel in general. The Veidt stuff is particularly ludicrous.

Ian
20-03-2020, 09:23 AM
The further I get into Watchmen (two episodes to go) the more I fear that it might be a load of old shit.

I suppose it has two episodes to tie everything together but I'm not really feeling the main story arcs as it's currently panning out or the thing as much of a sequel in general. The Veidt stuff is particularly ludicrous.

It definitely pulls everything together toward the end and those last few episodes are really good but I did sort of wonder what the point of making it was beyond somebody really wanting to do a Watchmen sequel.

And I think it makes the ending of the original less interesting.

phonics
20-03-2020, 11:45 AM
I was the opposite. Quite enjoying it but felt it went to complete shit in the finale.

Ian
20-03-2020, 12:13 PM
Interesting. How so? Because it got increasingly action-y or just that you weren't happy with how they actually tied it together?

So I guess my main issues were:

- Angela's was the only story I really cared about and I felt they were really dragging out how she was tying into the bigger picture. They probably had to save the Doc Manhattan reveal for when they did but I think some of the other stuff could have been paced a bit different.

- Even given his massive ego I didn't buy the "Ozymandias becomes a sadistic cunt because he's not been given credit for saving the world" bit of his character. I know it's meant to be as time's gone on, etc. but while he's a bit smug in the original and delighted to have done it he's still clearly not going "lol saved the world innit" and is feeling it a bit. The whole point is that nobody could know what he'd done. That's what made the ending so brilliant and what happened with Rorschach's journal as a potential bombshell to spoil it all interesting.

- I'm not sure how I feel about Doc Manhattan potentially making another one of himself, if we're to assume that's what he's done. I'm not sure how I feel about a lot of the specifics of his story actually.

Lewis
20-03-2020, 01:22 PM
The (disgracefully under-followed) 'No Context Sopranos' Twitter account has been in some right form recently. You forget how lol it is.

phonics
20-03-2020, 01:30 PM
Interesting. How so? Because it got increasingly action-y or just that you weren't happy with how they actually tied it together?

So I guess my main issues were:

- Angela's was the only story I really cared about and I felt they were really dragging out how she was tying into the bigger picture. They probably had to save the Doc Manhattan reveal for when they did but I think some of the other stuff could have been paced a bit different.

- Even given his massive ego I didn't buy the "Ozymandias becomes a sadistic cunt because he's not been given credit for saving the world" bit of his character. I know it's meant to be as time's gone on, etc. but while he's a bit smug in the original and delighted to have done it he's still clearly not going "lol saved the world innit" and is feeling it a bit. The whole point is that nobody could know what he'd done. That's what made the ending so brilliant and what happened with Rorschach's journal as a potential bombshell to spoil it all interesting.

- I'm not sure how I feel about Doc Manhattan potentially making another one of himself, if we're to assume that's what he's done. I'm not sure how I feel about a lot of the specifics of his story actually.

See I have no context, I’ve never seen the film or the comics. Who was ozymandias?

Ian
20-03-2020, 02:06 PM
See I have no context, I’ve never seen the film or the comics. Who was ozymandias?

Jeremy Irons.

phonics
20-03-2020, 04:06 PM
lol I thought that was Dr. Manhattan in a costume. I may have misunderstood the entire show.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-03-2020, 04:12 PM
:cab:

Ian
20-03-2020, 04:19 PM
lol I thought that was Dr. Manhattan in a costume. I may have misunderstood the entire show.

:lol:

Jesus, no wonder you thought the finale was dogshit. :D

Ian
20-03-2020, 04:22 PM
That's given me a proper good lol, Phonics. Needed that.

Bernanke
20-03-2020, 04:53 PM
:D

That takes some effort.

Bob Sacamano
20-03-2020, 09:59 PM
Dream Team series 3 onwards on Youtube :drool:

Half tempted to throw in some Malcolm In The Middle, Simpsons and Rescue Me for ultimate Sky One nostalgia.

Browning
20-03-2020, 10:19 PM
Fucking hell, how have I not found that before.

Just lock us down now.

Giggles
20-03-2020, 10:53 PM
Malcolm in the Middle was never anything more than horrendous.

Kikó
20-03-2020, 11:01 PM
Watch White House Farm - it's great.

Bob Sacamano
20-03-2020, 11:45 PM
Fucking hell, how have I not found that before.

Just lock us down now.

Pretty dreadful quality but well worth it, sky really need to get their shit together and get it on sky go.

Apparently the Gomorra prequel is floating around though the subs aren't the best, I still don't want Ciro to be gone :(

Giggles
21-03-2020, 10:14 AM
Robots can teach themselves to mind meld. Okay.

Baz
21-03-2020, 10:59 AM
Malcolm in the Middle was never anything more than horrendous.

Terrible opinion.

Giggles
21-03-2020, 11:00 AM
Terrible opinion.

It’s a bad kids show.

SvN
21-03-2020, 12:52 PM
Malcolm in the Middle is one of the best shows of the 00s.

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-03-2020, 01:25 PM
I wasn't a fan.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-03-2020, 02:52 AM
Just finished Altered Carbon season 2.

I enjoyed it but I much preferred the first season. Kinnaman was a better lead and I liked the style of the first season a lot more, it felt more unique and engaging to me.

The season finale was very good though.

igor_balis
22-03-2020, 03:20 AM
My main issue with malcolm in the middle is that I find lois a mostly irredeemable character. I know shes written to be a strict, authoritarian but ultimately loving parent but I always thought she was a cunt. Especially when compared to uncle phil and aunt viv in the fresh prince, for example.

Baz
22-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Harsh, considering I think she’s written brilliantly and often based on my own mum. :uhoh:

Alex
23-03-2020, 04:43 PM
I've started watching the original Star Trek. It's definitely got a certain charm to it still. Got to love Shatner chewing the scenery all over the shop. He also seems to unnecessarily have his shirt off quite a lot, and is always giving the eye to the female members of the crew, whether the story seems to call for it or not. I bet he went through half the cast.

I've noticed that the severity of Spock's eyebrows (and sometimes even his skin tone) seem to differ greatly from episode to episode. Also, I'm only about ten episodes in and there have already been two, separate instances of an evil, duplicate version of Kirk running around the Enterprise wreaking havoc. :D

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-03-2020, 04:44 PM
There seems to be a new female which takes his fancy every single episode too.

Alex
23-03-2020, 04:55 PM
This is true. Ones from previous episodes just completely disappear, only to be replaced by some new, pretty young thing fluttering her eyelashes at him. It's a wonder the man gets anything done. The higher-ups at Starfleet really didn't consider the productivity of the male crew members when they decided to make the standard female uniform that all-in-one sweater/mini-skirt combination.

My favourite episode so far is probably the one where they encounter this weird alien ship that threatens them and Kirk calls its bluff and diffuses the situation, then beams on board to find out the alien overlord in charge was actually just this weird, super-intelligent talking baby that was just testing him to make sure humans weren't wankers. Or something.

Giggles
23-03-2020, 05:16 PM
As one of the review sites said, the latest Picard could nearly have been an original series episode. Space flowers, sparse rocky planet with a small commune on it, a group of tidy birds in said commune, and a mad scientist type over them all. All we needed was some badly choreographed fighting.

Giggles
24-03-2020, 07:58 AM
https://youtu.be/pCoBVhnUaNE

Bernanke
24-03-2020, 11:40 AM
Tiger King on Netflix is absolutely mental, and probably their best docu series I've seen since Wild Wild Country.

Ian
24-03-2020, 11:49 AM
I'm gonna be starting The Mandalorian tonight. :drool:

Giggles
24-03-2020, 07:03 PM
I'm gonna be starting The Mandalorian tonight. :drool:

Remind me at what stage it’s set again before I watch. I’ve seen all the films apart from Solo and the last one, and should I watch the cartoon before this too?

Sir Andy Mahowry
24-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Remind me at what stage it’s set again before I watch. I’ve seen all the films apart from Solo and the last one, and should I watch the cartoon before this too?

It's set after the originals (and prequels) but before the new trilogy.

I have not seen the cartoon but have seen Mandolorian, everything made sense so I'm guessing not.

Giggles
24-03-2020, 07:57 PM
It's set after the originals (and prequels) but before the new trilogy.

I have not seen the cartoon but have seen Mandolorian, everything made sense so I'm guessing not.

So in between Death Star fucked up again and Luke fucking off to isolation?

Sir Andy Mahowry
24-03-2020, 08:04 PM
According to websites it's about 5 years after Return of the Jedi (episode 6) and about 25 years before Force Awakens (episode 7).

Giggles
24-03-2020, 09:05 PM
Gina Carano :drool:

Sir Andy Mahowry
24-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Indeed.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/10JGhSyhG8Q50c/source.gif

Giggles
24-03-2020, 09:07 PM
I’ve just realised that was her in one of the Fast and Furiouseseseses.

Ian
24-03-2020, 09:24 PM
Well the two available episodes of the Mandalorian have been watched and if they were all there I'd have been watching it until bedtime if those are anything to go by.

Giggles
24-03-2020, 09:27 PM
I haven’t started properly yet, but is there anything at all to do with the main story in the series?

Alex
24-03-2020, 10:47 PM
Star Trek update.

I've segued from a very serious, genuinely really good episode (maybe the best one yet, they have a super-tense standoff with the Romulans and Kirk completely outwits them like a boss) to one that opens with them all beaming down to a magic planet that has just made McCoy hallucinate all the characters from Alice in Wonderland running past him. :D

Sir Andy Mahowry
25-03-2020, 01:42 AM
Tiger King on Netflix is absolutely mental, and probably their best docu series I've seen since Wild Wild Country.

I've watched two episodes so far and I'm hooked.

Doc and Joe are absolutely mental but Carole is coming across as full of shit and a massive hypocrite. She says big cats should be in the wild and not in cages, cut to her posing by a small cage with a lion in it. Doc and Joe are slave labourers, cut to her saying that she has an army of volunteers that work a lot of hours with no pay.

It's wrong to profit of these cats, WE SOLD ALL THE TICKETS TODAY.

No breeding should be allowed but we breed...

The sanest person so far is the fucking drug overlord who was sentenced to 100 years but only served 12.

Bernanke
25-03-2020, 07:01 AM
Yeah, there are no heroes in the show. Maaaaaybe some of Joe's workers, a few of them seem to genuinely care for the animals.

The episode coming up that focuses on Carole might be my favourite, it's like a documentary within the documentary.

Ian
25-03-2020, 07:37 AM
I haven’t started properly yet, but is there anything at all to do with the main story in the series?

There are a couple of things that may or may not end up tying in directly and the general point in the Skywalker Saga that they're at is mentioned but so far it's its own thing.

EDIT: Something else I want to add is that I like how they're not adhering strictly to episode lengths. It's not like "We've got an hour per episode and BY GOD WE'RE GOING TO FILL IT." I think the first two episodes are about 40 and 30 minutes respectively and as a result there's been no filler so far.

Sir Andy Mahowry
25-03-2020, 01:54 PM
Yeah, there are no heroes in the show. Maaaaaybe some of Joe's workers, a few of them seem to genuinely care for the animals.

The episode coming up that focuses on Carole might be my favourite, it's like a documentary within the documentary.

I watched it before bed and I would love a whole series right there.

The music video that Joe did as well, stunning.

Giggles
25-03-2020, 08:42 PM
I’m at a woman in a mask like his. She’s melting something and second long flashback scenes and I’m lost. I think I’m done.

Luca
25-03-2020, 09:05 PM
Started Season 2 of Westworld after watching Season 1 around this time last year. Sure, the show is full of sometimes dry and forced monologues, but it does a great job of making you wonder "what the fuck is going to happen next?" between episodes.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
25-03-2020, 09:08 PM
Season 2 turned into a massive disappointment for me.

Luca
25-03-2020, 09:16 PM
I'm only 3 episodes in; does it get monotonous?

Ian
25-03-2020, 09:53 PM
I think I gave up after two, maybe three episodes and I've not read anything since that's made me think I made the wrong decision.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
25-03-2020, 09:55 PM
I'm only 3 episodes in; does it get monotonous?

I remember enjoying it for the first half/two thirds.

I loved season 1 FWIW.

Sir Andy Mahowry
25-03-2020, 10:39 PM
I’m at a woman in a mask like his. She’s melting something and second long flashback scenes and I’m lost. I think I’m done.

How are you lost? It's a simple scene.

Manc
25-03-2020, 10:45 PM
Sad to see the end of This Country. Top, top tele.

Sir Andy Mahowry
25-03-2020, 11:43 PM
Sad to see the end of This Country. Top, top tele.

Yep, cracking stuff.

Had a tear in my eye at the end.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-03-2020, 03:06 AM

Just finished it, great (yet mental) stuff.

John Arne
26-03-2020, 06:13 AM
Have people watched Don't Fuck With Cats? It's ok, and pretty easy to digest 3 episodes in one sitting.

the most satisfying bit being that the cops caught him without any help from the internet folk

Giggles
26-03-2020, 06:37 AM
How are you lost? It's a simple scene.

I think I was on my phone too much during it. Normally I can text away and watch a show. Watched on anyway but found it fairly boring and probably won’t bother with more.

Luca
26-03-2020, 04:59 PM
I remember enjoying it for the first half/two thirds.

I loved season 1 FWIW.

The Shogun World episode was bizarre. It just felt like a bit of a random detour to show off a cool new place. If Maeve can just voice control everyone, why didn't she try voice controlling the Shogun's samurai when they rolled into town? Why did they nap after killing the emissary?

SincereTheRebel
26-03-2020, 05:03 PM
The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez

:cry:

Raoul Duke
27-03-2020, 06:29 PM
Ozark season 3 out today :drool:

randomlegend
27-03-2020, 07:26 PM
Friday night dinner starts up again tonight I believe.

Giggles
27-03-2020, 07:30 PM
Friday night dinner starts up again tonight I believe.

Thanks for the heads up to avoid channel 4.

Browning
27-03-2020, 08:09 PM
Yep, was going to say new Friday Night Dinner and Mandalorian in one night :drool:

randomlegend
27-03-2020, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up to avoid channel 4.

No better endorsement.

Giggles
27-03-2020, 08:14 PM
No better endorsement.

That’s what I’d have thought too. Only I didn’t need one because I’ve unfortunately witnessed it.

Ian
27-03-2020, 08:19 PM
Yep, was going to say new Friday Night Dinner and Mandalorian in one night :drool:

Thought I'd be waiting until Tuesday. :drool:

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-03-2020, 08:54 PM
I've already watched all of The Mandolorian.

Is Friday Night Dinner actually good? From the adverts it looks a little meh.

Browning
27-03-2020, 08:56 PM
I really enjoy it. It's carried by 2 characters (the cunt from Chernobyl mainly) but for a modern comedy it's decent enough. The first 3 seasons are on Netflix too so don't piss about with 4OD or whatever it's called these days if you're going to try it.

Kikó
28-03-2020, 09:50 AM
Going to start on TNG from the beginning (or until the wife tells me to stop).

Giggles
28-03-2020, 10:03 AM
Nice. I’m on series 5 of DS9 now. Skipped a small few but have been watching some in work. Going to do Enterprise after, maybe just the final two series.

Kikó
28-03-2020, 10:08 AM
At the moment half way through Q donning the crew in episode 1. Quite a dramatic start to it all.

I love DS9 and how it progresses.

Disco
28-03-2020, 12:10 PM
You also get Picard being a right dick to Riker on his first day in the job.

Kikó
28-03-2020, 12:14 PM
Yep. Real twat for no reason. Episode 2 was a good episode with a homage to that lust virus knocking everyone out and Wesley becoming the saviour of all.

If only Covid made you a bit flirty.

Kikó
28-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Had to skip episode 3 (weird primitive human-like species visit and fall in love with the boring security officer). Now on 5 where they've gone to the other side of the galaxy and are now seeing supernatural things. Finally, one of the better episodes.

Pepe
28-03-2020, 03:39 PM
That thing about Ivan the terrible was alright.

Spoonsky
29-03-2020, 06:56 AM

I'm three episodes in, holy fuuuuuck

It's incredible.

John Arne
29-03-2020, 09:03 AM
Tiger King
End of show spoiler

The last 2 episodes were a bit of a drag, and the ending just felt like a bit underwhelming. Decent enough.

I think I preferred Don't Fuck With Cats

Sir Andy Mahowry
29-03-2020, 12:18 PM
Joe Exotic is asking for a presidential pardon and suing various people and a government agency for a combined $94m.

Pepe
30-03-2020, 01:46 AM
I'm four episodes into Tiger King and I have to go with overrated as fuck to this point. Not bad, but nowhere near Wild Wild Country, not even close.

Sir Andy Mahowry
30-03-2020, 01:48 AM
It's not close to Wild Wild Country but it's still great, CRETIN.

Pepe
30-03-2020, 01:51 AM
It better get real good real soon then.

Bernanke
30-03-2020, 05:37 AM
It kinda doesn't, the last two episodes are easily the weakest.

Spikey M
30-03-2020, 05:38 AM
I started it. Did 3 or 4 episodes. Not bothered with the rest.

Boydy
30-03-2020, 08:50 AM
I kinda hate these documentaries from Netflix.

Manc
30-03-2020, 09:07 AM
Cheer is a must.

Jimmy Floyd
30-03-2020, 09:29 AM
I can't watch anything at the moment that involves recent reality or fictional reality. It has to be set in distant or imagined worlds or I can't handle it.

Yevrah
30-03-2020, 09:35 AM
Are you alright Jim?

Boydy
30-03-2020, 09:43 AM
I can't watch anything at the moment that involves recent reality or fictional reality. It has to be set in distant or imagined worlds or I can't handle it.
I'm feeling pretty similar.

Yevrah
30-03-2020, 09:44 AM
Are you alright Boyd?

Boydy
30-03-2020, 09:47 AM
Probably not.

phonics
30-03-2020, 09:52 AM
Probably not.

Jesus christ, this was way too relatable.

Jimmy Floyd
30-03-2020, 09:56 AM
Are you alright Jim?

Yes.

Yevrah
30-03-2020, 10:01 AM
Keep going gents. We absolutely will get out of this and life will go back to normal, eventually.

Boydy
30-03-2020, 10:02 AM
I'm fine really. I just want some escapism into another world.

I'm still watching Justified, actually. Onto the final season now. Was a huge fan of season five and the Crowe clan.

Anyone got any good sci fi series recommendations?

Boydy
30-03-2020, 10:05 AM
I ordered some sci fi novels from Amazon the other day (which I love during normal times anyway) and one of them was this (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Europe-Autumn-1-Dave-Hutchinson/dp/1781081956&ved=2ahUKEwiHyuHp-MHoAhWVO8AKHcSVA7YQFjAMegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1rZZbscyCIKPzXGltbmN4c) which is the first in a series I've been wanting to read for a while. Might be a bit too close to reality at the minute though.

phonics
30-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Did you ever read A Scanner Darkly Boyd? My personal favourite.

I think the popular scifi show du jour is 'The Expanse'

Boydy
30-03-2020, 10:18 AM
I haven't, actually. I'll add it to my list.

I did watch the previous seasons of The Expanse but I got a bit bored with it.

Alex
30-03-2020, 10:21 AM
Battlestar Galactica is the obvious go-to Boyd, but you may have already seen it. Firefly is great, although it did get cancelled after one season. But they did do a follow up film.

Disco
30-03-2020, 10:36 AM
BSG is really good, especially the first few series.

I'm on Original Trek now, the wonkiness is amazing.

Ian
30-03-2020, 10:40 AM
Firefly is great, although it did get cancelled after one season. But they did do a follow up film.

Just means it didn't have a chance to go to shit. :nodd:

phonics
30-03-2020, 10:45 AM
I hated Battlestar but that's me. The lack of subtlety killed me.

Lee
30-03-2020, 10:46 AM
It’s funny, the impact this has on being able to escape at all. It’s difficult to think of much else but what’s happening in real life. We’re enjoying Killing Eve but neither of us are concentrating in the way we normally would. Same with books. I’m able to read but it isn’t the same. I can’t find real escapism.

Alex
30-03-2020, 10:48 AM
Just means it didn't have a chance to go to shit. :nodd:

Well, this is true. There's sometimes a lot to be said for brevity!

Spikey M
30-03-2020, 11:07 AM
It’s funny, the impact this has on being able to escape at all. It’s difficult to think of much else but what’s happening in real life. We’re enjoying Killing Eve but neither of us are concentrating in the way we normally would. Same with books. I’m able to read but it isn’t the same. I can’t find real escapism.

Same. I just sit there thinking 'that's not 2 meters apart', 'that restaurant shouldn't be open'. Depressing.

John
30-03-2020, 01:09 PM
I'm fine really. I just want some escapism into another world.

I'm still watching Justified, actually. Onto the final season now. Was a huge fan of season five and the Crowe clan.

Anyone got any good sci fi series recommendations?

If you're after silly escapism watch Falling Skies. It's complete nonsense, but it's fully aware of that fact and leans into it heavily by doing things like calling its race of invading aliens 'the skitters'.

Kikó
30-03-2020, 07:57 PM
Got a bit teary at the end of Picard. If they could tighten up some of the script and kill the cheesiness then this could be great. Took them an entire season to get Picard a ship with crew ffs.

Giggles
30-03-2020, 08:00 PM
Could easily have been 4 or 5 episodes.

Kikó
30-03-2020, 08:09 PM
There were just so many gimps we didn't need to see or were so wooden that it was pointless.

I'd have preferred to seen two episodes of the Federation v Romulan. Or even just a new series called Riker

bruhnaldo
30-03-2020, 08:36 PM
I always liked Firefly if you're into sci fi stuffs.

Alex
31-03-2020, 01:16 AM
Season one of original Star Trek done. Some observations.

It's held up generally well and a fair few of the plots (even some of the more ostensibly silly ones) turn out to be quite ahead of their time and often thought provoking.
Obviously a lot of the special effects look a bit daft now, but the Enterprise always looks cool from the outside.
Spock really abuses the Vulcan nerve pinch, he seems to have used it roughly every five minutes since first boshing it out a few episodes in.
If I had to pick my favourite episodes they would be "Balance of Terror" (Kirk dicks on the Romulans), "Space Seed" (Khan!), "The Devil in the Dark" (badly dated monster effects aside, this might be the best one) and "The City on the Edge of Forever" (cool time travel story that takes them out of their element without it being silly).
Kirk is the daddy.

It summary, it was good and I'm glad I watched it all. On to season two.

Sir Andy Mahowry
31-03-2020, 01:24 AM
The nerve pinch doesn't get used much in season 2 which is a shame.

Spock's probably fatigued after the first season.

Sir Andy Mahowry
31-03-2020, 02:32 AM
Just spotted this on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016yklh/louis-theroux-americas-most-dangerous-pets

Louis Theroux meets Joe Exotic (Tiger King) and others, will have to watch it later.

Alex
31-03-2020, 05:52 PM
The nerve pinch doesn't get used much in season 2 which is a shame.

Spock's probably fatigued after the first season.

I've just watched the first episode of season two and he has indeed given it a rest. He did do "live long and prosper" for the first time though! It was a good one actually, they go to Vulcan because Spock is meant to be getting married.

Giggles
31-03-2020, 05:54 PM
Where are these? They’re not on Netflix with the rest of the series are they?

Sir Andy Mahowry
31-03-2020, 05:56 PM
They are.

Alex
31-03-2020, 05:59 PM
Aye, I'm watching them on Netflix.

Giggles
31-03-2020, 06:22 PM
I’d looked once and couldn’t find them but maybe they’ve landed since, I see a few other new things like that Discovery After Trek show and the animated series now too.

That said, 30 episodes in series 1. I’d definitely need to be send home from work.

niko_cee
31-03-2020, 07:07 PM
Just watched the first episode of season 3 of Westworld and all it really did was remind me quite how little I understood or remembered about season 2. Feels like it's just going to descend into greater depth of mentalness, which is a shame as it was really good for a bit.

Bernanke
31-03-2020, 07:19 PM
The only good episode of S2 of WW was the one focusing on the Indian bloke. That on the other hand was one of the best episodes of television in the last decade.

This new season is holding my attention so far, and with the production values and only 8 episodes in total I can't see myself dropping it.

Spoonsky
01-04-2020, 04:49 AM
Finished Tiger King. I found the first three episodes pretty incredible, the next two deeply depressing, and the last two were pretty average.

The idea of Joe Exotic as PETA hero bringing everyone else down with him did bring a smile to the face. Especially Jeff Lowe and his tiny bitch face.

ScousePig
01-04-2020, 07:47 AM
In case nobody looks in the football thread, Season 2 of Sunderland till I die was released on Netflix this morning.

Yevrah
01-04-2020, 07:17 PM
Watched Tiger King over the last couple of days, as has been previously said here, it's very good.

Sir Andy Mahowry
02-04-2020, 02:47 AM
I really enjoy it. It's carried by 2 characters (the cunt from Chernobyl mainly) but for a modern comedy it's decent enough. The first 3 seasons are on Netflix too so don't piss about with 4OD or whatever it's called these days if you're going to try it.

I am now fully caught up on it and I love it.

The Dad and Jim are superb.

SvN
02-04-2020, 08:03 AM
It's pretty good, and very easy to watch. As Mahow says, Jim and the Dad are the best parts by far.

Browning
02-04-2020, 11:34 AM
Yea, those are definitely the 2 I meant. Thought the new season was great, which is pretty surprising as most comedies would have fallen apart by now.

Pepe
02-04-2020, 12:52 PM
Finished Tiger King last night. It was alright, but could have been done in three episodes tops. Seven episodes was way too much, they were dragging around showing fuck all half of the time.

Baz
02-04-2020, 12:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/JKlVh86.png

Kikó
02-04-2020, 06:46 PM
On the tiger king program now, didn't realise it was this oddball from the Louis Theroux programme.

mo
03-04-2020, 09:38 AM
I'm 10 minutes into the new season of Sunderland 'Til I Die and it's already clear that Charlie Methven and his maroon chinos is going to be the pinnacle here.

SvN
03-04-2020, 09:48 AM
Just finished Premier Passions which has set me up wonderfully for season 2 of Sunderland Til I Die.

Manc
03-04-2020, 11:03 AM
I'm 10 minutes into the new season of Sunderland 'Til I Die and it's already clear that Charlie Methven and his maroon chinos is going to be the pinnacle here.

He's TV gold.

Giggles
03-04-2020, 06:18 PM
The Rocky training montage episode of the Mandalorian has arrived. As stiff as Gina Carano makes me, it still couldn’t save what was a fairly boring episode.

mugbull
03-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Watching Sunderland Til I Die so far has been like watching an Office Space type satire

mugbull
03-04-2020, 07:01 PM
The new marketing director wanting to make the Stadium of Light into ibiza is absolutely jokes

John Arne
03-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Anyone seen The Devil Next Door. I just one-sitted it, it was actually really interesting. Basically suspected Nazi war criminal wokring for Ford and living in Cleveland in the 1980's and is deported to Israel to stand trial.

Spikey M
03-04-2020, 10:09 PM
Just finished Premier Passions which has set me up wonderfully for season 2 of Sunderland Til I Die.

I spent most of last series feeling a bit of love for Sunderland. This Season, it's hard going. It would be alot easier if Charlie died as soon as possible.

Giggles
04-04-2020, 07:15 PM
Was really enjoying Sunderland til I Die, and then episode 3 has the warning at the start for ‘injury detail’ so that stops me in my tracks with it.

Foe
04-04-2020, 07:25 PM
No idea what they’re on about there?

There’s nothing gory in it. Keep going.

Jimmy Floyd
04-04-2020, 07:39 PM
Don't you remember that game when Luke O'Nien had his intestines ripped out by a passing killer whale?

Foe
04-04-2020, 07:58 PM
I thought Shefki kuqi had retired?

Spikey M
04-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Episode 5 has close ups of Nigel Farage. That should have a warning.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-04-2020, 08:23 PM
I watched the first season over the last couple of days. This had me proper lolling:

Started on season two today, Methven is a weird chap.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Oh and I loved that bit with one fan talk about Ovie Ejaria.

"They call him the English Pogba, like".

Giggles
04-04-2020, 09:39 PM
I watched on but on episode 6 now and switched it off at the doctor gowning up about to look at the Belgian goalkeepers “exploded” finger. Does it go gore in shit like that?

Spikey M
04-04-2020, 09:54 PM
Gore :D

You see his finger. It's swollen and in a splint. That's about the depth of it.

phonics
04-04-2020, 09:55 PM
This bloke watches NFL where people give themselves brain damage for 6 months of the year.

Giggles
04-04-2020, 09:56 PM
Gore :D

You see his finger. It's swollen and in a splint. That's about the depth of it.

He looked like a lad that was decking himself out to do surgery.

Giggles
04-04-2020, 09:57 PM
This bloke watches NFL where people give themselves brain damage for 6 months of the year.

What has that got to do with anything? I don’t care about the wellbeing of the player in either scenario.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-04-2020, 10:01 PM
Giggles is a little princess.

Giggles
04-04-2020, 10:02 PM
I’m just not bloodthirsty. So many shows have to go with it as a gimmick these days instead of working on a good story.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-04-2020, 10:03 PM
You seem to moan when you see a stubbed toe in TV/Movies.

Giggles
04-04-2020, 10:05 PM
You seem to moan when you see a stubbed toe in TV/Movies.

It only annoys me when I’m enjoying a show and have to leave it so because of it. There are very few shows I’ve seen recently that are enjoyable anyway so it’s not that big a deal.

Spikey M
04-04-2020, 10:20 PM
He looked like a lad that was decking himself out to do surgery.

As far as I remember you don't see anything. But fastforwarded 5 mins if it would be that traumatizing for you

Boydy
04-04-2020, 11:16 PM
Finished Justified last night. It really is very good.

Not sure what to watch next. Has anyone watched Lost in Space on Netflix?

Giggles
05-04-2020, 07:11 AM
I can’t look at Jonny Williams without seeing that gimp from Made in Chelsea.

Giggles
05-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Coleman’s bird is some bit of biscuit.

Giggles
05-04-2020, 09:00 AM
That was very good. Into series two now and looking forward to seeing if the new chairman lad (the posh one, not the owner) ends up as much of a spoofer as he’s seemed already.

Manc
05-04-2020, 09:07 AM
Jack Ross can consider himself harshly treated imo.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-04-2020, 04:54 PM
lol at the Will Grigg signing.

Giggles
05-04-2020, 04:57 PM
Can’t help but like Sunderland watching this but I suppose every semi big club is the same.

Spikey M
05-04-2020, 05:10 PM
That was very good. Into series two now and looking forward to seeing if the new chairman lad (the posh one, not the owner) ends up as much of a spoofer as he’s seemed already.

I has hoping for a posh David Brent, but he is much, much too much of a cunt to be considered so.

Shindig
05-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Frig. I'm signing up for Netflix for this. :D

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-04-2020, 05:17 PM
I has hoping for a posh David Brent, but he is much, much too much of a cunt to be considered so.

Attendancegate was a shambles.

Giggles
05-04-2020, 05:17 PM
The camera work is a bit more hollywood in the second series. Loses a bit of the realness and it feels a bit scripted, even though you know it isn’t.

Shindig
05-04-2020, 07:32 PM
Two episodes into Sunderland Til I Die's first season. That didn't half go to shit quickly. :|

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-04-2020, 07:44 PM
The Checkatrade final episode was brilliant.

Seeing Methven get ever so slightly agitated and his partner try to calm him down :harold:

Manc
05-04-2020, 08:42 PM
"Wake up!".

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-04-2020, 08:45 PM

:lol:

Shindig
05-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Stuff like that is why I've learned to suffer in silence at games. :D

The Merse
06-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Started on season two today, Methven is a weird chap.

Reminds of a few marketing consultancy types I've since being down here, his obsession with Ibiza in particular. Harking after the couple of summers when he was doing industrial levels of coke in clubs as opposed to industrial levels of cocaine in bistros...

I enjoyed seeing the seafront hotel I stay in when working in Sunderland used by the management team ahead of the first game, truly the only place I have ever managed to find that's not on a ring road.

SvN
06-04-2020, 10:46 AM
Just finished it. Not as good as the first season, but still enjoyable. Methven really is a grade A cock. His behaviour in the Checkatrade final was ridiculous for a club director.

Bob Sacamano
06-04-2020, 11:35 AM
American Factory documentary on Netflix is pretty interesting and a stark reminder how much it would suck to be Chinese.

My favorite part was the American supervisor going over to China and walking into a high level meeting wearing a Jaws shirt.

The Merse
06-04-2020, 01:00 PM
I'm almost through. I think he's extremely aware of wanting to come across as A PROPER FOOTBALL FAN in spite of his spivishness. Went a lot less plummy at the town hall meeting.

Shindig
06-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Jack Rodwell is such a cunt. EDIT: Okay, Robin's finger operation wasn't gory but metal splints being put into fingers still makes me wince.

Giggles
06-04-2020, 06:44 PM
Am I being incredibly naive but how did the offer go through for the young striker to Bordeaux when the owner knew nothing about it? Would he not have to accept the offer and sign paperwork?