PDA

View Full Version : Do we live in a golden age of television?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Ian
19-11-2019, 11:41 AM
Took a bullet for you there, Spikey.

SvN
19-11-2019, 11:43 AM
The new season of The Crown has been really good so far. The complete cast change has been nowhere near as jarring as I thought it would be. It's helped massively by the fact that Olivia Colman is predictably great as the Queen.

I'm halfway through and enjoying it just as much as the previous seasons. I agree with Bernanke that Menzies as Philip is absolutely perfect. I thought Matt Smith was great, but Menzies really knocks it out of the park.

Spikey M
19-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Took a bullet for you there, Spikey.

I reckon he just likes Walruses and Penguins. He likes an Autistic Polar Bear anyway.

Pleb
22-11-2019, 12:44 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/taskmaster-is-officially-moving-to-channel-4/ar-BBX9ZGi?ocid=spartanntp

Alex Horne promises no format changes.

Lofty
22-11-2019, 03:27 PM
No love for Mr Robot here? Latest episode is gonna win an Emmy.

John
25-11-2019, 03:09 PM
The latest episode of The Good Place is like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind condensed into twenty minutes but funnier and with more charming performances.

bruhnaldo
25-11-2019, 03:12 PM
I plowed through the first couple season of The Good Place but kinda hit a wall with this whole back to earth thing

Alex
25-11-2019, 11:13 PM
His Dark Material was really good this week, probably my favourite episode yet.

Iorek Byrnison. :cool:

phonics
26-11-2019, 01:05 AM
His Dark Material was really good this week, probably my favourite episode yet.

Iorek Byrnison. :cool:

I was sure it said they walked around on 2 feet which destroyed a part of my mental image.

However, this production is mental, CGI for every daemon and literally every actor to have been in anything ever. Budget must be off the charts.

Mazuuurk
26-11-2019, 09:01 AM
I've discovered that there was a Spawn animated series made in the late 90's which is on HBO :drool:
I fucking love Spawn, so am all over that.

It's not even bad, even if it has it's corny 90's elements to it, and it drags on a little bit.

Spikey M
26-11-2019, 10:03 AM
I was sure it said they walked around on 2 feet which destroyed a part of my mental image.

However, this production is mental, CGI for every daemon and literally every actor to have been in anything ever. Budget must be off the charts.

Right. I'm going to watch a couple tonight. If it's shit, so help me god.

Baz
26-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Started watching series 9 of Taskmaster. Never even heard of Ed Gamble before but he’s class.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Started watching series 9 of Taskmaster. Never even heard of Ed Gamble before but he’s class.

He and James Acaster have a podcast called Off Menu which is really good in which celebrities choose their ultimate three course meal.

Baz
26-11-2019, 04:26 PM
Oh man, that rubber egg. :lol:

Baz
28-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Honestly whoever booked Ed Gamble deserves a big pat on the back.

Just finished the series now. Was great.

Lewis
28-11-2019, 02:49 PM
I finally got round to watching Breaking Bad over the past few weeks and it's as great as everybody said it was. Walter White > Tony Soprano.

Sir Andy Mahowry
28-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Honestly whoever booked Ed Gamble deserves a big pat on the back.

Just finished the series now. Was great.
I think it's my favourite with 5 now in second.

Baddiel was also great and the live task he and Gamble did together was incredible.

Baz
28-11-2019, 07:59 PM
I think it's my favourite with 5 now in second.

Baddiel was also great and the live task he and Gamble did together was incredible.The drawing on the back one? :lol: Absolutely brilliant.

Queenslander
28-11-2019, 11:18 PM
I finally got round to watching Breaking Bad over the past few weeks and it's as great as everybody said it was. Walter White > Tony Soprano.

Better Call Saul is great watch once you finish Breaking Bad.

Smjffy
02-12-2019, 03:38 PM
I had the joy of watching the series 'This Country' for the first time last night. :D

Baz
02-12-2019, 07:40 PM
I had the joy of watching the series 'This Country' for the first time last night. :D

I love it. A lot of it is duff but when it’s funny, it’s really funny.

Much like that radio station one about Kurupt FM.

randomlegend
02-12-2019, 08:07 PM
This Country is great. The Young Offenders on BBC is really good as well.

Jimmy Floyd
02-12-2019, 08:23 PM
The one on iplayer I really like is 'Man Like Mobeen'. I bet no one watches it as it's outwardly Asian and it must get parked with shite like 'Citizen Khan' in people's minds, but it's genuine and lovely as well as pretty funny.

With my shiny new Netflix account I've been looking at some British stuff as I'm not in a very American mood at the moment. Found two utter gems, both sort of teen coming of age comedy things: The End of the F***ing World, which is jet black dark and snappy and brilliant, and Sex Education, which is more polished but has some of the best characterisation I can remember and proper laugh out loud stuff as well. Highly recommended.

Sir Andy Mahowry
02-12-2019, 08:25 PM
They're both brilliant.

phonics
02-12-2019, 08:26 PM
15 Storeys High is on there if you haven't given that a watch before.

Boydy
02-12-2019, 08:32 PM
Has anyone been watching that BBC adaptation of War of the Worlds? Is it any good?

Giggles
02-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Young Offenders completely lost me in the first episode of this series. Didn’t even watch the second one last week.

Smjffy
02-12-2019, 09:55 PM
This Country is great. The Young Offenders on BBC is really good as well.

I'll give The Young Offenders a viewing next. I didn't expect the BBC to have much worth considering bar Peaky Blinders.

The one on iplayer I really like is 'Man Like Mobeen'. I bet no one watches it as it's outwardly Asian and it must get parked with shite like 'Citizen Khan' in people's minds, but it's genuine and lovely as well as pretty funny.

With my shiny new Netflix account I've been looking at some British stuff as I'm not in a very American mood at the moment. Found two utter gems, both sort of teen coming of age comedy things: The End of the F***ing World, which is jet black dark and snappy and brilliant, and Sex Education, which is more polished but has some of the best characterisation I can remember and proper laugh out loud stuff as well. Highly recommended.

I too have a shiny new Netflix account but my main gripe with it is too many options so I spend more time looking at what I could watch instead of actually watching something. :moop:

randomlegend
02-12-2019, 10:41 PM

Not watched End of the Fucking World yet, but yeah Sex Education is really good.

Lewis
02-12-2019, 11:08 PM
I'm watching This Country at the minute. It's brilliant.

Smjffy
02-12-2019, 11:45 PM
I got ten minutes into The Young Offenders and there's just no way I can sit through that especially without subtitles.

Panorama it is, I guess. Creepy dirty Royals.

John
03-12-2019, 12:00 AM
You could turn on subtitles.

Smjffy
03-12-2019, 12:50 AM
If I wanted to read something then I would reach for a book but thank you for informing me that I can indeed turn on subtitles you boring fuck.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-12-2019, 01:02 AM
:lol:

Moron.

John
03-12-2019, 01:36 AM
Good to know your little sabbatical from the board didn't turn you into any less of a thick combative cunt, Smiff. It's comforting when things stay the same.

Ian
03-12-2019, 10:36 AM
The End of the F***ing World

I didn't realise this was on Netflix. Will need to give it a go because I tried to do so on All4 and then realised it would be less painful to scoop my eyes out with a spoon than deal with their unskippable adverts.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-12-2019, 10:43 AM
I didn't realise this was on Netflix. Will need to give it a go because I tried to do so on All4 and then realised it would be less painful to scoop my eyes out with a spoon than deal with their unskippable adverts.

All4 is the absolute pits.

Even UKTVPlay do it better.

Ian
03-12-2019, 11:08 AM
It's a shame because there's stuff on there that I'd stick on when I just want something in the background or don't really want to pay attention to anything new. But it's so, so shit.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-12-2019, 11:15 AM
I had to use it to watch Bake Off when I was hotel surfing and a couple of times it took them hours to put the latest episode up of, quite possibly, the biggest show they have.

Spikey M
03-12-2019, 01:04 PM
All4 is the absolute pits.

Even UKTVPlay do it better.

The ITV Hub is the worst. It constantly loses sound. Thankfully there's only something worth watching on ITV about once a year.

randomlegend
03-12-2019, 01:46 PM
I had to use it to watch Bake Off when I was hotel surfing and a couple of times it took them hours to put the latest episode up of, quite possibly, the biggest show they have.

One of the episodes had the sound completely out of sync as well.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-12-2019, 03:16 PM
One of the episodes had the sound completely out of sync as well.

It only happened about 2/3rds the way though as well.

Giggles
05-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Went back to Young Offenders and while episode 2 was the worst they ever did, 3 and 4 were as good as the first series. Also, the soundtrack :cool:

randomlegend
05-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Laughing at the stupid Irish :cool:

Giggles
05-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Laughing at the stupid Irish :cool:

2/10, don’t just mail it in lad.

Pleb
06-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Dunno if it's been mentioned in this thread yet but has anyone got a favourite television moment of the decade?

Disco
06-12-2019, 02:15 PM
15 Storeys High is on there if you haven't given that a watch before.

A classic that almost nobody knows about.

phonics
06-12-2019, 02:29 PM
Mark Lamarr as the silver statue busker is a top quality piece of tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER_3XR4HHtY

Lewis
06-12-2019, 10:59 PM
I'm watching This Country at the minute. It's brilliant.

I reckon it's as good as Fleabag, and had we Got Brexit Done by now it would have been feted as such.

Giggles
11-12-2019, 05:07 PM
Was only reading about the Simpson’s ‘You Only Move Twice’ earlier as it was the featured article on Wikipedia, and just turned on the telly and it’s on :cool:

Baz
11-12-2019, 05:34 PM
#serendipity

Ian
11-12-2019, 05:37 PM
Was only reading about the Simpson’s ‘You Only Move Twice’ earlier as it was the featured article on Wikipedia, and just turned on the telly and it’s on :cool:

I watched it again the other day. It's an incredible episode.

Giggles
11-12-2019, 05:45 PM
I watched it again the other day. It's an incredible episode.

God it used to be so good.

Smjffy
20-12-2019, 11:07 PM
I saw #dontfwithcats trending on Twitter so loaded up Netflix expecting to see cats.

Oh. My. God. :( I'm only on episode one but who the fuck would do that?

Edit. Actually worth watching.

Baz
21-12-2019, 07:58 AM
I saw #dontfwithcats trending on Twitter so loaded up Netflix expecting to see cats.

Oh. My. God. :( I'm only on episode one but who the fuck would do that?

Edit. Actually worth watching.yeah I read on Twitter about a video going round of a cat being microwaved and Mike mentioned that show. :( I’ll give it a mids.

randomlegend
21-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Bob Mortimer is just so good on WILTY.

Raoul Duke
21-12-2019, 09:11 AM
The Witcher on Netflix is awesome :drool:

Giggles
21-12-2019, 09:27 AM
On AppleTV See is horrendously bad, but The Morning Show got a lot stronger as the series went on.
I’m going to give For All Mankind a shot now but reviews aren’t great.

Ian
21-12-2019, 09:36 AM

Not started yet. Hearing mixed reviews but I'm getting the impression that for people with no exposure to the books or games it's a bit of a lore-dump.

Smjffy
21-12-2019, 10:53 AM
yeah I read on Twitter about a video going round of a cat being microwaved and @Mike (https://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/member.php?u=3) mentioned that show. :( I’ll give it a mids.

You don't actually see any of it and thankfully it swiftly moves on from it being anything about cats.

The first half hour of episode one is tough viewing as your mind goes places it shouldn't but after that it's actually pretty darn interesting.

Kikó
21-12-2019, 11:52 AM
The Watchman series is brilliant.

phonics
21-12-2019, 11:54 AM
It was really good up until that last episode where there’s no resolution to anything but you are informed that dr Manhattan is just having sex with everyone.

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Been watching His Dark Materials this week and I think it's great. Casting in particular is a real highlight.

Surprised at how little I remember from the film and books though.

Spikey M
21-12-2019, 12:53 PM
+1 for don't fuck with cats.

I'd have some insults for all involved, but they'd have tracked me down before I finished typing it out.

Alex
21-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Been watching His Dark Materials this week and I think it's great. Casting in particular is a real highlight.

Surprised at how little I remember from the film and books though.

I'm doing alright so far as I can remember the first book very well, which us strange given that it must be over 20 years since I read it. :|

I might start to struggle a bit once it gets into books two and three though. Assuming you've read them all:

Remember that bit in (I think) the third book where the doctor lady ends up in that world that's populated by those weird creatures that looked like elephants on wheels? How the fuck they're going to adapt that I've no idea. :D

Jimmy Floyd
21-12-2019, 01:57 PM
I watched the first episode of that and the visuals are lovely, but I don't really have a clue what's going on, and I'm also slightly wary from the early signs that it's going to end up being a fairly lazy critique of 'organised religion' of the type that was more fresh and in vogue when the books were written. I have never read the books so you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-12-2019, 02:00 PM
I do remember those weird elephants a lot actually, partly because I thought Pullman had lost his fucking marbles

Been just over 10 years since I read them as I watched the film (which I enjoyed before reading the books but hated when I re-watched after reading) first.

randomlegend
21-12-2019, 02:03 PM
I couldn't get through the books, thought they were shit. I'd not given the TV program a chance since I'd also seen very mixed reviews but perhaps I'll try it.

John
21-12-2019, 02:17 PM
It was really good up until that last episode where there’s no resolution to anything but you are informed that dr Manhattan is just having sex with everyone.

Well that's complete nonsense.

Raoul Duke
21-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Not started yet. Hearing mixed reviews but I'm getting the impression that for people with no exposure to the books or games it's a bit of a lore-dump.

I've watched the first three episodes and it's been great. Lots of lore but not too much. Some great tits too.

Bernanke
21-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Just seen the the first Witcher ep and I don't understand the negative reviews I've seen about it. Sure, it's a bit clunky at times, the camerawork is inconsistent, and the lighting is a bit weird, but it captures the feel of the world super well.

Also, that market sword fight is one of the best I've seen on television.

John
21-12-2019, 02:27 PM
I thought it was a bit of a lore overload, to the extent that the lead character is just stating parts of his backstory out loud, ostensibly to his horse. They lampshade the absurdity of it a couple of times by having Superman tell someone to clamp it in the middle of their own exposition dumps, but not often enough to stop the first episode being not far away from just having a man read a book at you.

Alex
22-12-2019, 04:55 PM

I've watched the first couple of episodes and they've both been pretty good.

How fucking great the sequence when he kills all the hired goons at the end of the first episode? Butcher of Blaviken. :cool:

Also, that song Dandelion sings at the end of the second episode is way better than it has any business being. It's been stuck in my head for two days now. :D

Baz
22-12-2019, 07:23 PM
I’ve started watching Gavin and Stacey for the first time. Everyone at work loves it so promised them I’d give it a go. It’s really funny. Even James Corden is funny. And Rob Brydon is hilarious.

Jimmy Floyd
22-12-2019, 07:24 PM
I did the same the other week, having always assumed it was shite because everything that aired on BBC3 around that time was. But it's actually superb.

Spikey M
22-12-2019, 07:25 PM
It's probably the last good BBC comedy.

Jimmy Floyd
22-12-2019, 07:27 PM
Wouldn't get made now either because it doesn't have any 'issues' at its heart, other than the fact that Wales is a dump.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-12-2019, 07:28 PM
It's probably the last good BBC comedy.

Are you saying that Mrs Brown's Boys isn't a masterpiece?

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-12-2019, 07:32 PM
I am a big fan of Detectorists though.

Lewis
22-12-2019, 07:33 PM
I'm expecting the Christmas special to be bollocks, with basically all of the jokes based around the kids being like Welsh-sounding versions of them.

Shindig
22-12-2019, 07:33 PM
7/7 killed Monkey Dust. :(

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-12-2019, 07:36 PM
I'm expecting the Christmas special to be bollocks, with basically all of the jokes based around the kids being like Welsh-sounding versions of them.

It's going to be too much of Corden as Corden.

Yevrah
22-12-2019, 07:39 PM
I have faith it will be good.

Spikey M
22-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Are you saying that Mrs Brown's Boys isn't a masterpiece?

It's no Miranda.

Giggles
22-12-2019, 07:46 PM
It’ll be shit because it was always shit.

Ian
22-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Also, that song Dandelion sings at the end of the second episode is way better than it has any business being. It's been stuck in my head for two days now. :D

It is very catchy.

Two episodes in and quite liking it so far. Though if I wasn't coming into it having played the games I'm not sure I'd give much of a shit about Geralt so far.

Jimmy Floyd
22-12-2019, 10:45 PM
If anyone is thinking of trying the BBC 'Christmas Carol' adaptation, well. 'Fucking don't, mate', as this preposterous 'relevant' version of Scrooge would say.

EDIT: I see the Guardian gave it five stars, you couldn't make it up. Well, except they did make most of it up.

phonics
22-12-2019, 11:04 PM
I forgot how book one of His Dark Materials ends. That was an uplifting way to end my Sunday night...

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-12-2019, 11:46 PM
I remembered at the end of the last episode.

It all came back to me when Asriel saw Roger.

Raoul Duke
23-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Finished up The Witcher:

Thought it was cracking overall, but a couple of things irked me a little:
- The way it jumps about time-wise and doesn't sign-post it in any way (there's zero difference between, say, Dandelion and Queen whatsherface in the past and present even though ~15 years have gone by)
- The casting was a little off in a couple of places. Dandelion aka Jack Whitehall felt too boyish and not enough of the good-looking sex pest I'd imagined him. Likewise Yenn being super young threw me a bit as I'd always thought she was older. Ciri and Geralt were great though and overall the performances were solid

The dragon episode was ace, as was the final battle with all the wizards

Adamski
23-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Are there any decent streaming sites for the Mandalorian?

Bernanke
23-12-2019, 03:15 PM
Finished Witcher, it was really fucking good after a few wobbly initial episodes. It feels like a high-budget Xena in the best possible way.

Giggles
23-12-2019, 03:32 PM

Speaking of which, is there any sign of Disney arriving outside the US at all?

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-12-2019, 03:41 PM
Coming on March 31st, they had to delay due to Sky's rights to Disney stuff.

Ian
24-12-2019, 07:29 AM
Witcher stuff:
I'll be interested to see if there's a reason for the way they've presented it in multiple timelines but without making that clear. It wasn't part of any clever narrative thing so far as I can tell because when that does become clear it becomes clear in the most casual way possible.

*big dramatic Yennefer moment*
(pause)
"Man those last thirty years have been a total snooze, eh?"

I am enjoying it but I dunno if I would be as much without any knowledge of it going in and I can see why it's had a pretty mixed critical response.

John
24-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Witcher stuff:
I'll be interested to see if there's a reason for the way they've presented it in multiple timelines but without making that clear. It wasn't part of any clever narrative thing so far as I can tell because when that does become clear it becomes clear in the most casual way possible.

*big dramatic Yennefer moment*
(pause)
"Man those last thirty years have been a total snooze, eh?"

I am enjoying it but I dunno if I would be as much without any knowledge of it going in and I can see why it's had a pretty mixed critical response.

I haven't read the books or played the games and I'm enjoying it fine up to episode seven. I imagine someone with a grounding in the source material would take more from it than I can, but then they'd also likely stub their toes on portrayals of characters that don't match those in the games or their own projections.

Spoiler only references events up to episode six.

I'm largely fine with the way they presented the fractured timelines. For the first three, maybe four episodes it didn't matter at all that we were bouncing around in time because the closest one narrative got to impacting another was a character namedropping someone we'd encountered in one of the other strands. When it was important that the viewer understand the structure they made it clear, although the reveal was a bit clunky.

My biggest problem is that things which are presented as huge tasks are often given very little screentime, losing weight as a result. The most problematic example of this was Geralt's fight with the Strayga(spelling improvised because it's a made up word), where the notion of him having to fight it until morning might as well arrive with the Jaws music, given we've already seen it beat a Witcher and he visibly ages when he realises what's required of him. Then I'm fairly sure the fight itself gets less screentime than that abysmal early trip to find the goatboy and his crew of Spocks and the injury that makes it a significant part of Geralt's story only occurs after the howling multifanged demon has turned back into a young woman who needs a wash.

That pacing issue carries over into some other aspects of the piece, such as the early romance between Yennifer and the bloke whose name I fittingly can't remember. They've been romantically involved on screen for about a minute total when they start talking about love and destiny, so when the 'twist' that they're each being squeezed for information about the other is revealed to swelling music like it should be a shock to the system it falls completely flat.

Ian
24-12-2019, 08:11 AM
I'm on four so I'll come back to that.

Some of the characters are quite different to the games but I already knew some of them were quite different in that to the books so I was largely prepared for that. And it's nice to see some backstory getting fleshed out.

Baz
24-12-2019, 08:38 AM

Get Stremio. It’s amazing (except on iOS cos it doesn’t work on them)

Bernanke
24-12-2019, 11:24 AM
I haven't read the books or played the games and I'm enjoying it fine up to episode seven. I imagine someone with a grounding in the source material would take more from it than I can, but then they'd also likely stub their toes on portrayals of characters that don't match those in the games or their own projections.

Spoiler only references events up to episode six.

I'm largely fine with the way they presented the fractured timelines. For the first three, maybe four episodes it didn't matter at all that we were bouncing around in time because the closest one narrative got to impacting another was a character namedropping someone we'd encountered in one of the other strands. When it was important that the viewer understand the structure they made it clear, although the reveal was a bit clunky.

My biggest problem is that things which are presented as huge tasks are often given very little screentime, losing weight as a result. The most problematic example of this was Geralt's fight with the Strayga(spelling improvised because it's a made up word), where the notion of him having to fight it until morning might as well arrive with the Jaws music, given we've already seen it beat a Witcher and he visibly ages when he realises what's required of him. Then I'm fairly sure the fight itself gets less screentime than that abysmal early trip to find the goatboy and his crew of Spocks and the injury that makes it a significant part of Geralt's story only occurs after the howling multifanged demon has turned back into a young woman who needs a wash.

That pacing issue carries over into some other aspects of the piece, such as the early romance between Yennifer and the bloke whose name I fittingly can't remember. They've been romantically involved on screen for about a minute total when they start talking about love and destiny, so when the 'twist' that they're each being squeezed for information about the other is revealed to swelling music like it should be a shock to the system it falls completely flat.

I mean, it's a made up word just as much as "vampire" or "werewolf" are made up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtriga

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strzyga

Most of the monsters in the Witcher-verse have some Slavic folklore background. One reviewer clearly showed their ass with that:

There’s the constant download of fantasy verbiage, including much talk about a “kikimora” and a town I swear is called “Blevicum.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kikimora

phonics
24-12-2019, 09:15 PM
Why did they make this Christmas Carol? Who wants to watch some creepy old man rape a black woman at Christmas?

Shindig
24-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Prince Phillip.

phonics
24-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Jesus Christ now they’re making her justify her decision. This is so fucking depressing. I’m leaving the room.

phonics
24-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Prince Phillip.
He’s looking well

Manc
24-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Sith lord.

Shindig
24-12-2019, 10:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjSTzpdioQ

I bet it's this every time he's in.

Baz
25-12-2019, 12:58 PM
Why did they make this Christmas Carol? Who wants to watch some creepy old man rape a black woman at Christmas?Life goals.

Ian
26-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Finished the Witcher and enjoyed it a lot on the whole.

I still don't see what purpose it served to not be more obvious with how the timelines were being presented at the start and some of the srs bznss writing was a bit clunky but it was mostly good stuff and the action was good almost without fail.

I'll be interested to see what Geralt's last wish was because based on the character I'm just not having that he wished for them to be in wuv forweva or something to overtly bind her to him. It'll be more subtle than that if they've not borked his character.

John
26-12-2019, 02:46 PM
I finished The Witcher yesterday too, and it's probably the best run of fantasy television since the last good season of Game of Thrones.

Amazon released season four of The Expanse last week so that's my next binge. Apparently the budget is more than treble what they were getting from 'SyFy'. Hopefully it goes on the very short list of shows that got better after being saved from the bin along with Southland.

phonics
26-12-2019, 03:31 PM
They’re making a new Southland?

John
26-12-2019, 03:35 PM
They’re making a new Southland?

Not that I know of.

Giggles
26-12-2019, 03:37 PM
If only.

John
26-12-2019, 03:47 PM
I'm quite happy with how that ended, in terms of telling a complete story that makes sense. I'd watch a new season, and with the exception of Regina King I doubt they'd have much trouble putting the old cast and crew together, but I don't need it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-12-2019, 03:12 AM
Started on The Witcher and I'm 3 episodes in.

Gone in blind (but I did order 7 of the books on Ebay after the second episode so I'll plough through those when they arrive in a few days) and I'm really liking it a lot. Cavill is really well cast.

The fight at the end of the first episode was incredible too.

Shindig
27-12-2019, 07:00 AM
7 books? I don't know where the translations are at so I'll assume they're all in Polish.

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-12-2019, 01:10 PM
7 books? I don't know where the translations are at so I'll assume they're all in Polish.

There are 8 but the cheapest 8 book set I found was £50, the cheapest 7 book set was £25 and I can buy the last for around £5. All in English.

All the books are fairly short according to Wiki.

Sir Andy Mahowry
28-12-2019, 02:29 AM
And I've finished the TV show.

The timeline jumps were a little annoying at times (and I see that's been covered) but other than that I thought it was really solid.

Cavill really made the role his own as well.

Spikey M
28-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Just watched the first episode of The Witcher. It feels more grown up Merlin than Game of Thrones, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

A bit clumsy in places, but decent enough.

Shindig
28-12-2019, 10:46 PM
With this free month of prime, are there any recommendations for a binge?

Giggles
28-12-2019, 10:50 PM

The Man in the High Castle.

Sir Andy Mahowry
28-12-2019, 11:29 PM
Just watched the first episode of The Witcher. It feels more grown up Merlin than Game of Thrones, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

A bit clumsy in places, but decent enough.
That's actually a pretty good shout.

Merlin was great.

Jimmy Floyd
28-12-2019, 11:50 PM
The Man in the High Castle.

I finished this eventually and it was good. Things took a real turn for the better as Juliana's screen time decreased, although I'm not sure they paced the last series brilliantly as only about three characters had storylines still going at the point when it ended.

Raoul Duke
29-12-2019, 04:30 PM

The Expanse, The Boys, Mr Robot, Carnival Row, American Gods are all great.

Reg
29-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Modern Family is great.
Bosch is quite good.

John
29-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Modern Family is very good for a while, but after about season two it doesn't take long for the big heartwarming family all together moment that ends every episode to start ringing false. None of the characters on that show actually like any of the others.

Sir Andy Mahowry
29-12-2019, 05:01 PM
I think I gave up sometime in season 7 or 8 although I usually give shows a hell of a lot longer than they deserve when they turn to shit.

mo
29-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Sneaky Pete is good and Goliath is brilliant, imo, on Prime.

Giggles
29-12-2019, 08:26 PM
Is Sky Atlantic stuff ever available anywhere else or is it only by hooky methods? I want to see this New Pope thing.

Spikey M
29-12-2019, 08:30 PM
You can get a Now TV Entertainment package for a month for about a fiver. That's what we did for both GoT and Chernobyl.

Giggles
29-12-2019, 08:32 PM
You can get a Now TV Entertainment package for a month for about a fiver. That's what we did for both GoT and Chernobyl.

That sounds a plan. I have the sports and sports extra ones at the moment on it (think it was €60 for 2 months) and it’s been flawless for streaming quality.

John
29-12-2019, 08:36 PM
The New Pope is really a follow up to a thing from a year or two ago called The Young Pope. I haven't watched either so I don't know how closely serialised they are but it's probably worth checking in case you'd be dropping in halfway through a story.

Giggles
29-12-2019, 08:40 PM
I had spotted that when I looked up the new one (I’d never heard of it at the time) but the first one doesn’t seem to have Malkovich so I’ll read a quick round up of the Young Pope and chance it. Probably nowhere to easily watch a Sky show on catch up without actual Sky anyway.

phonics
29-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Whoever’s playing this Christine Keeler woman is incredibly fit.

https://images-immediate-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/3/2019/12/Sophie-Cookson-plays-Christine-Keeler-e0ad4d6.jpg

Alex
29-12-2019, 10:17 PM
The Young Pope is excellent and well worth properly watching before you watch the new one.

phonics
29-12-2019, 10:18 PM
That Keeler thing was impressively boring. It’s somehow more boring than Sophie Cookson is attractive.

Spikey M
29-12-2019, 10:56 PM
Ok, the Witcher is brilliant. I stand by what I said last night though. This is Merlin for Adults. I am finding very little in common with GoT as we stand.

phonics
29-12-2019, 10:58 PM
There’s topless women in the first episode. Although you’re correct, they were mostly quite little tits. Game of Thrones respected you enough to give you thicccc buxom women.

phonics
30-12-2019, 01:52 AM
Whoever’s playing this Christine Keeler woman is incredibly fit.

https://images-immediate-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/3/2019/12/Sophie-Cookson-plays-Christine-Keeler-e0ad4d6.jpg

Trying to work out which government I wouldn’t let fall for a date with this woman. I’ve gone back to Atlee and it’s a genuine contest between a date and the NHS.

phonics
30-12-2019, 01:55 AM
Trying to work out which government I wouldn’t let fall for a date with this woman. I’ve gone back to Atlee and it’s a genuine contest between a date and the NHS.

Thinking about it. Sorry but it’s private health insurance for all.

Ian
30-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Emotional rollercoaster.

Offshore Toon
30-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Just realised that Ice the Bounty Hunter from Arrested Development was in Cool Runnings.

randomlegend
30-12-2019, 07:59 PM
You lot were raving about Fleabag right? Like it's alright...

Raoul Duke
30-12-2019, 08:17 PM
It's great, and you are wrong

randomlegend
30-12-2019, 08:33 PM
We're only about 3 episodes in I think, but so far it's watchable but not actually very funny.

It's a bit ARSEHOLES and PERIOD and DILDOS lolololol

Jimmy Floyd
30-12-2019, 10:26 PM
It's amazingly subtle and clever, although the second series is (even) better than the first.

randomlegend
30-12-2019, 10:31 PM
I'll give it more of a chance, but so far it's not.

phonics
30-12-2019, 11:02 PM

Alex
31-12-2019, 12:04 AM
To what extent do you think Obama just gets a PR team to knock these lists up for him to maintain a certain level of hipness? This probably applies less to the TV/movies one but I chanced across his music list earlier and the man is including some rap tunes that I, as a 32 year old lifelong Hip-Hop fan, already consider myself quite a bit too old to properly "get".

Obviously I'm not the stick by which everything else is measured, but I'm still not completely buying it.

Lewis
31-12-2019, 12:32 AM
'And a quick list of TV shows that I considered as powerful as movies' makes me think that he hasn't watched anything on either list. Their entire involvement in this stuff strikes me as being the big time celebrity version of the non-jobs politicians usually get 'advising' banks and weapons manufacturers. Except for some reason there is major money behind it all. Why?

Offshore Toon
31-12-2019, 01:25 AM
'And a quick list of TV shows that I considered as powerful as movies'
He sounds like such a bellend with that. TV, if anything, has been far more powerful in recent times. In hindsight, Obama really did mug us all off. I reckon with a similar campaign Peter Kay could 'GARLIC BREAD!' his way into office.

Shindig
31-12-2019, 08:02 AM
I can't believe he didn't bother with Chernobyl.

John
31-12-2019, 11:30 PM
The New Year special of Only An Excuse will almost certainly be getting a few complaints over a sketch about a Corbyn Scarf, which is 'suitable for weddings, birthday parties, but maybe no Barmitzvahs'.

Giggles
01-01-2020, 06:41 PM
The Mrs was watching the Office all day while I had the ball on the tablet. It’s actually not that bad at all, as I fucking hated the Office UK so has never gave it more than 5 minutes before I think. Some of the characters are very good.

Foe
01-01-2020, 07:01 PM
US Office is a stunning comedy series.

I’ve been rewatching parks and Rec on amazon prime recently and it’s also still superb.

Giggles
01-01-2020, 07:04 PM
This is series 7 I think and I’ve seen most of it now so I won’t go back to any earlier but I think I’ll watch it through to the end from here.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-01-2020, 07:08 PM
US Office is a stunning comedy series.

I’ve been rewatching parks and Rec on amazon prime recently and it’s also still superb.

Like most American sitcoms though, it went on far too long past it's prime.

There were more bad seasons then good by the time it was all done.

Foe
01-01-2020, 07:17 PM
That’s bollocks. I don’t agree with that at all.

I actually think it held up better than most in later seasons. There’s some sentimental shit at the end no doubt, but the final season are still great viewing.

John
01-01-2020, 07:39 PM
This is series 7 I think and I’ve seen most of it now so I won’t go back to any earlier but I think I’ll watch it through to the end from here.

You should go back. It isn't intensely serialised anyway and season 7 is getting close to the point at which it becomes almost completely unwatchable.

randomlegend
01-01-2020, 08:02 PM
Finished season 1 now and I maintain Fleabag is not that funny.

SvN
02-01-2020, 09:29 AM
I fully expected to hate it, but thought it was superb. Olivia Colman's character is one of the funniest on TV.

Bob Sacamano
02-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Modern Family is great.
Bosch is quite good.

I thoroughly enjoyed Bosch, it's nothing groundbreaking but it's just a really well-made show, plus the kid isn't annoying which is what ultimately made me give up on Ray Donovan.

Also The Battered Bastards of Baseball documentary on Netflix is pretty good despite not being into baseball at all.

Ian
03-01-2020, 02:22 PM
The new Dracula (I've watched one of the two that've been on so far) is a lot of campy schlock in most ways but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it.

Reg
05-01-2020, 03:40 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Bosch, it's nothing groundbreaking but it's just a really well-made show, plus the kid isn't annoying which is what ultimately made me give up on Ray Donovan.
Yep, follows a pretty standard police show formula but does so way better than most.

Modern Family is very good for a while, but after about season two it doesn't take long for the big heartwarming family all together moment that ends every episode to start ringing false. None of the characters on that show actually like any of the others.
I've not been bothered by that, but in Season 8 some of the writing has been pretty bad. Still has enough funny moments and better written episodes to be enjoyable though. Phil is still great.

I'm not sure about your last sentence - Phil's love for the kids, particularly Luke, is a pretty strong theme. I'd say Gloria, Manny and Jay all like each other too.

SincereTheRebel
05-01-2020, 03:50 PM
I Robot is alright so far. That Swedish executive with that crazy wife on his level is mad. Im 6 episodes into season 1

Giggles
05-01-2020, 03:52 PM
They’ve made that into a TV show? Missed that completely.

phonics
05-01-2020, 04:43 PM
He means Mr Robot. It’s good for a while but absolutely disapears up its own arse at some point. Spends so much time misdirecting the audience then goes ‘lol you thought that’s what was happening? you dumbass.’

Boydy
05-01-2020, 05:19 PM
That Messiah thing on Netflix was alright although it annoyed me how much the main woman reminded me of Juliana Crane from The Man in the High Castle.

Started Justified today. It seems decent from the first couple of episodes but I assume it improves a lot given how much you lot rate it.

phonics
05-01-2020, 05:30 PM
Yeah the first series is establishing the world. I think it might get better with every season. Actually that's a lie, Season 1 ends really well, Season 2 is okay with good moments and 3,4,5,6 are incredible.

Robert Quarles is a great bad guy.

Giggles
05-01-2020, 05:34 PM
That Messiah thing on Netflix was alright although it annoyed me how much the main woman reminded me of Juliana Crane from The Man in the High Castle.

Started Justified today. It seems decent from the first couple of episodes but I assume it improves a lot given how much you lot rate it.

The latter doesn’t sound like it would interest me at all but I wouldn’t mind giving that Messiah thing a go.

SincereTheRebel
05-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Yeah, Mr robot. Terrel is like a Swedish American psycho

Lewis
06-01-2020, 08:09 PM
I know it's still all LOOK HOW OUTRAGEOUS I AM, but some of those Ricky Gervais cracks were a bit close to the bone. Top effort.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
06-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Reckon the Weinstein one was the best, you could just tell from a lot of the faces that they genuinely hated it all.

phonics
06-01-2020, 08:56 PM
Reckon the Weinstein one was the best, you could just tell from a lot of the faces that they genuinely hated it all.

Yeah they hated it all so much and he DESTROYED the hollywood elite so badly that they *checks notes* invited him on for a third time when no-one else has even done it twice.

Lewis
06-01-2020, 09:05 PM
Yeah, but in the past he was just sending them up, he wasn't calling them hypocrites and saying they all turned a blind eye to noncing.

John
07-01-2020, 07:23 AM
It's about as episodic as television gets through the middle chapters, there's a run where they just drop the title character into barely modified sixties Western and Samurai films, but taken as a whole The Mandalorian is pretty comfortably the best Star Wars story.

John
07-01-2020, 07:39 AM
Yeah they hated it all so much and he DESTROYED the hollywood elite so badly that they *checks notes* invited him on for a third time when no-one else has even done it twice.

Five times. He's hosted them five times. You should check your notes more carefully before adopting your much used condescending bellend stance. Even having watched the thing Alan and, by extension, you are talking about would have told you that.

Anyway, he did go in far harder than he has done in the past, probably hard enough that there won't be a sixth invite. Although he said about fifteen times during the opening monologue alone that he wouldn't be hosting again so whether they want him to or not is probably moot.

The reason he's done it so many times is that the Golden Globes are prestigious enough within the industry that nobody is turning one down or dipping the ceremony over a slightly off colour joke at their expense from the host, but those same jokes are catnip to the people who want nothing more from their morning news than a picture of Rihanna looking a bit dishevelled.

mugbull
07-01-2020, 09:30 AM
Watched Wolf Hall. Thought it was fucking great. Seems almost more like a play than a television show, which makes sense given the actors involved

Yevrah
07-01-2020, 09:58 AM
Gervais has said he won't do it again before and he has so I don't see why he wouldn't for a 6th time. You could say that the FPA and/or whoever actually organises it won't have him back because he went further than he has before, but he's been digging people out every single time and they love it.

As for going further this time, he didn't say anything that wasn't true and it really should be a source of shame for them all. You can take the moral high ground when it's easy (refusing to appear with Sir Mel, for example), but if while you're doing that you're also turning a blind eye to what Weinstein's been up to and signing petitions in support of Roman Polanksi then you should be made to feel uncomfortable about that and probably for longer than the length of an opening monologue.

Baz
07-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Always good to have the word 'minge' back in the public eye for a bit.

Giggles
07-01-2020, 09:14 PM
Anyone watch the Bumpy Johnson thing yet?

bruhnaldo
07-01-2020, 10:10 PM
Five times. He's hosted them five times.

Jesus.. the other day a commercial for it came on and his lines were basically the Ricky Gervais version of "ah shit me? they're having me host this? surely i can't be the right guy!"

and i said "what the fuck hasn't this guy hosted this shit like every single year? apparently you are the right guy."

FIVE was an astonishing number though lol

Jimmy Floyd
07-01-2020, 10:15 PM
Watched Wolf Hall. Thought it was fucking great. Seems almost more like a play than a television show, which makes sense given the actors involved

I liked it too but a lot of the high brow critics here were quite sniffy. Not really sure why. It's far better than the book which is awfully-written dribble.

Ian
10-01-2020, 01:12 PM
I'm liking the different versions of "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher" that're being done.

mugbull
10-01-2020, 01:19 PM
I liked it too but a lot of the high brow critics here were quite sniffy. Not really sure why. It's far better than the book which is awfully-written dribble.

From what I've read it seems to take a really weird stance on the 'moral qualities' of all these historical figures, in that Cromwell was far more of a sleazy cunt in real life and Anne was at least a bit more complicated than depicted. I don't know nearly as much Tudor history as you Brits but from what I've read it seems generally accepted that Cromwell and Anne's falling out was due to Anne wanting the expropriated church funds to go to charity, and Cromwell wanting them to go directly to Henry (and himself). Which wouldn't necessarily matter all that much since artistic license etc etc but I do think Cromwell's break with Anne was too abrupt and didn't follow logically from the plot. Otherwise really good though

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-01-2020, 01:45 PM
I'm liking the different versions of "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher" that're being done.

https://youtu.be/bS4Q-WWyl3Q

My favourite so far.

Spikey M
12-01-2020, 02:30 PM
I finished watching The Confession Killer last night and it's hilarious. It's not meant to be, obviously, but the levels of corruption within the US police force is something to behold. How anybody could have believed any of it is beyond me.

Raoul Duke
21-01-2020, 11:47 PM
Just watching the latest series of The Expanse, and it's fantastic.

Also - I saw Altered Carbon is back for a new series next month. I loved the first one.

Both really good sci-fi, if you're looking for a recommendation.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-01-2020, 12:19 AM
Just watching the latest series of The Expanse, and it's fantastic.

Also - I saw Altered Carbon is back for a new series next month. I loved the first one.

Both really good sci-fi, if you're looking for a recommendation.

With an almost completely new cast though.

Damn shame as Higereda's character was great and she's hot as hell.

Raoul Duke
22-01-2020, 09:59 PM
With an almost completely new cast though.

Damn shame as Higereda's character was great and she's hot as hell.

True - but, as the premise of the show is that consciousness remains and can be moved to another host it kinda fits.

Agreed on the latter though :drool:

Kikó
23-01-2020, 07:44 PM
Watched all of Season 2 of Discovery recently and it's really a fine Star Trek series. And now there's Picard - absolutely fantastic to see him back in that role.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-01-2020, 08:37 PM
I really need to finish watching the back catalogue of Star Trek as that Picard series does look good.

Alex
23-01-2020, 09:24 PM
I really need to finish watching the back catalogue of Star Trek as that Picard series does look good.

I think we've had this conversation before, but I'm in a similar situation with Star Trek. I want to get into it and, on paper, it's right up my alley, but for whatever reason I feel like I have to watch it all from the beginning. And there's so fucking much of it.

phonics
23-01-2020, 09:37 PM
Someone did a big list of the stuff you need to watch/can skip.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-01-2020, 09:37 PM
I think we've had this conversation before, but I'm in a similar situation with Star Trek. I want to get into it and, on paper, it's right up my alley, but for whatever reason I feel like I have to watch it all from the beginning. And there's so fucking much of it.

Yeah, the episodes I have watched are good but 703 episodes total not including The Animated stuff is pretty overwhelming.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-01-2020, 09:38 PM
Someone did a big list of the stuff you need to watch/can skip.

The only list I've seen is a recommended viewing order but nothing was skipped.

A what can be skipped list would be nice.

phonics
23-01-2020, 09:45 PM
https://medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3

Giggles
23-01-2020, 09:59 PM
Watched all of Season 2 of Discovery recently and it's really a fine Star Trek series. And now there's Picard - absolutely fantastic to see him back in that role.

We must be the only two that liked it. I loved it but I never seen as much moaning about a TV show ever.

Kikó
23-01-2020, 10:09 PM
Really? Where? It really fits well into the TNG vibe and isn't Enterprise (which just didn't seem to work).

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-01-2020, 10:11 PM
We must be the only two that liked it. I loved it but I never seen as much moaning about a TV show ever.

I liked it a lot.

Alex
23-01-2020, 10:19 PM
On a non-Star Trek related note I've been watching all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the first time recently (and now simultaneously Angel as well) and I've no idea whether that's a weird thing for a man in his early thirties to do or not but fuck it, it's really good.

It kind of offers that mixture of monster-of-the-week episodes and mythology stuff that made me like Supernatural so much. And the X-Files. Although I've yet to finish that.

Giggles
23-01-2020, 10:21 PM
Really? Where? It really fits well into the TNG vibe and isn't Enterprise (which just didn't seem to work).

People seemed to really hate Burnham and more seemed to resent that it looked more modern than a TV show made in the 1960’s.

Giggles
23-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Is Picard available from midnight on Prime?

Spikey M
31-01-2020, 08:49 PM
I'm just watching The Goes Wrong Show on BBC1 and it's silly and ridiculous. I fucking love it.

Foe
31-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Started watching Gilmore girls a few days ago on Netflix.

It’s brilliant. Apparently there’s a reboot too, so I’ve got loads to work my way through. :wub:

John Arne
01-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Brooklyn Nine Nine is back next week.

Ian
03-02-2020, 08:18 PM
That finale of The Good Place was pretty much perfect.

Giggles
03-02-2020, 08:20 PM
Picard is fairly meh so far.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
03-02-2020, 08:26 PM
Inside No.9 back tonight for those who don't know.

Kikó
03-02-2020, 09:16 PM
Picard is fairly meh so far.

I'm trying to work out the pacing - how many are we expecting? It's been working itself out over the first couple. I think once they get into space it'll pick up.

I'm hoping for a few more cameo appearances. as well.

Giggles
03-02-2020, 09:26 PM
I'm trying to work out the pacing - how many are we expecting? It's been working itself out over the first couple. I think once they get into space it'll pick up.

I'm hoping for a few more cameo appearances. as well.

8 more to go and a second 10 episode series confirmed. I’m hoping for the same thing too with it just feeling it’s way out until they get on board a ship.
From trailers we’ll definitely see cameos from Frakes and Sirtis, and I’d be surprised if LeVar Burton doesn’t appear too. Geri Ryan seems to have a bigger role than a cameo.
Frakes will be directing a few episodes too.

Disco
03-02-2020, 10:09 PM
I liked the first two Picards more than I did Discovery (or whatever the last one was called).

Raoul Duke
03-02-2020, 10:14 PM
Picard has been pretty great so far. Pacing is going to be slow as the geezer is a hundred years old.

Season 4 of The Expanse was excellent too. Best sci-fi show in years that.

igor_balis
07-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Omg the rush episode of trailer park boys is so good.

Giggles
07-02-2020, 08:14 PM
I wouldn’t stop watching Picard because I watch very little and not that dramatic, but it’s beyond cheesy now. Hope it improves.

Manc
07-02-2020, 08:46 PM
Central Baghdad is very good tele.

seniorguvnor
09-02-2020, 08:02 PM
I think I literally started this thread a good 15 years ago. Crazy to think you guys are still going but all power to you!!!

Yevrah
09-02-2020, 08:04 PM
Evening. How are you?

seniorguvnor
09-02-2020, 08:07 PM
All good mate, fuck me, long time :)

Yevrah
09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Glad to hear that. :)

Over 20 years. How did you find this place when the last board died?

seniorguvnor
09-02-2020, 08:20 PM
Just googled it - it seems like I posted a couple of times in 2017 so just needed to log back in. Good to see you're still here Yev - who are the other regulars knocking about?

Yevrah
09-02-2020, 08:28 PM
Quite a few still post, but nowhere near the same volume these days. Jimmy and Lewis are probably most active of the old guard, but not being that arsed with football that much now I don't pay as much attention as I used to.

Why did you stop posting?

Kikó
09-02-2020, 08:42 PM
More importantly, what's the latest on Owen Coyle managerometer?

Lewis
09-02-2020, 09:06 PM
Putting us as part of an 'old guard' risks conflating us with the Old Guard. I would prefer something along the lines of Golden Generation, or Class of 2007 (I know Floyd was around before, but Exeter made his brand, and the same goes for the other candidates).

Giggles
09-02-2020, 09:22 PM
Never mind this self indulgent blowbox. Has the new Brooklyn Nine Nine been on yet?

Boydy
09-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Never mind this self indulgent blowbox. Has the new Brooklyn Nine Nine been on yet?

Think there were two episodes out the other night.

Edit: yep, 2 eps on the 6th

Giggles
09-02-2020, 09:35 PM
Think there were two episodes out the other night.

Edit: yep, 2 eps on the 6th

Presumably it’s one of the few I’ll have to dodgy stream because I’m left with no legal means.

Boydy
09-02-2020, 09:43 PM
Presumably it’s one of the few I’ll have to dodgy stream because I’m left with no legal means.

Yeah, Netflix doesn't even have the last season. I rewatched it all again recently and had to torrent season 6.

John
10-02-2020, 12:51 PM
That finale of The Good Place was pretty much perfect.

Absolutely perfect.

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Yeah, they nailed it.

I wasn't all that keen on the Bojack finale though, especially as the penultimate episode was terrific.

Jimmy Floyd
10-02-2020, 02:20 PM
Known finales are always dross (except for ones I haven't seen). You have to go out while people still want more.

Yevrah
10-02-2020, 02:24 PM
Finished The Good Place over the weekend and I’d concur, it’s the best finale I can recall.

Ian
10-02-2020, 03:43 PM
Known finales are always dross (except for ones I haven't seen). You have to go out while people still want more.

What the Good Place has succeeded with is going "We've written a story for four seasons and then we'll finish."

And then actually finishing. Very obviously had at least the broad strokes written from the get-go and the finale was spot-on both for the theme of the show and the characters individually. Lovely stuff.

Browning
10-02-2020, 03:52 PM
The Bojack finale was brilliant but I had to re-watch it to appreciate it. On first viewing it felt flat compared to “the view from halfway down” which is probably the best TV episode I’ve seen since Ozymandias.

It’s also absolutely not going to be the last we see of him, no matter what they say.

John
10-02-2020, 05:26 PM
The central idea underpinning that lovely final sequence of The Good Place finale, and in some ways the whole series, was so good it retroactively made the whole thing about ten percent better.

Yevrah
10-02-2020, 05:50 PM
I thought there were parts of it that were a right mess, but I make you right, in that when the finale is that good it just elevates the whole show.

Ian
10-02-2020, 06:50 PM
It was never consistently as good as season 1 again but it had high points and yeah, the finale makes it worthwhile.

Giggles
10-02-2020, 06:54 PM
It lost me halfway through series 1, though I caught a couple of episodes after it wasn’t the ‘good’ place after all. How many are there? I might go back if it’s less than 3.

John
10-02-2020, 06:55 PM
The first half of this season was a bit of a mess but that's the only extended fuck up for my money, any other time it fell apart it tended to come together again pretty quickly.

I thought they'd peaked in terms of pure emotional dynamite with the Chidi stuff at the end of season three, the 'Jeremy Bearimy, baby' scene in particular, but that finale blew it all out of the water.

The Merse
17-02-2020, 10:57 PM
The finale reduced myself and Miss Merse to tears, I'm not ashamed to say. I think realising what must happen later, the inevitability of the fate of those characters was probably more emotionally resonating for me than witnessing them actually reach it.

I was interested in the gf's reaction to bingeing it with me ahead of season 4 - I caught up with everything at the point when season 2 was halfway through so only had half the binge she did, and it absolutely hooked her in. Especially telling given I've struggle (actually I never have managed) to get her into the premier US comedies like P&R, Community and Arrested Dev. It's the overarching narrative that hooked her more than the humour, which is quite something for a comedy.

Baz
18-02-2020, 06:35 AM

Jimmy Floyd
18-02-2020, 07:27 AM
I didn't much like the first two Inside No 9s this series (although the second one a delight for Psychoville fans) but the third one last night was brilliant.

Giggles
18-02-2020, 08:04 AM

I neither remember posting that nor can figure out what I meant by it :D

Giggles
18-02-2020, 08:06 AM
Speaking of which, I want to watch Brooklyn Nine Nine and Billions. Are either on a legit service or what are people watching tv on these days that we can’t access?

mo
18-02-2020, 08:38 AM
I torrented Nine Nine.

Ian
18-02-2020, 08:48 AM
Endeavour is back. :drool:

I do feel the show is good enough week-to-week that it doesn't need the bigger, more dramatic arcs they go in for and could just hang it all together with the lower-key stuff, and it feels like every year now the show starts off with "Ohhhh tension between Morse and Thursday!" but I do really like it. And presumably still has a good amount of life left in it given they've got another couple of decades to play with without crossing over the original show.

Jimmy Floyd
18-02-2020, 08:53 AM
I was looking at Endeavour the other day when I saw Roger Allam was in it (my favourite of all actors). Although I might need 'Britbox' to watch it from the start apparently, is it worth the deep dive?

Max Power
18-02-2020, 08:57 AM
I didn't much like the first two Inside No 9s this series (although the second one a delight for Psychoville fans) but the third one last night was brilliant.

Haven’t watched it yet but that’s good to know because I’d worried they’d lost their touch. The first one with David Morrissey as the referee was the worst one yet.

Ian
18-02-2020, 09:02 AM
I'd say so, I like it a lot.

There was one series (the third, perhaps) where it started to get a little weirder or more OTT and I was a bit concerned they were revving up to go off the deep end at full velocity (in an alternate reality "tiger in a maze" became the new "jumping the shark") but they'll reined it back in, and Allam / Evans are really the highlight of an already good cast. You can see where they're echoing the Morse / Lewis dynamic with the two of them.

I'm sure there was somebody else on here who was watching it at the start (John, perhaps?) but I may now be its only devotee on the board.

EDIT: Jimmy Floyd

Out the way, Max.

Jimmy Floyd
18-02-2020, 12:14 PM
Haven’t watched it yet but that’s good to know because I’d worried they’d lost their touch. The first one with David Morrissey as the referee was the worst one yet.

I thought it was rubbish as well, but non-football people seemed to like it more, I think to us it seemed very clunky and contrived.

Giggles
19-02-2020, 11:20 AM
I torrented Nine Nine.

Never knew you could torrent any more.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-02-2020, 01:25 AM
Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane) has been cast in The Witcher :cool:

I really like the character he's playing too and was hoping that short story would be told.