PDA

View Full Version : Do we live in a golden age of television?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Jimmy Floyd
21-01-2019, 06:21 PM
I've never seen a sports documentary that wasn't full of continuity disasters. Creatives and editors hate the procedural logic of sport, they need maximum drama at every turn.

The best sports doc I've seen (Out of the Ashes about the rise of the Afghanistan cricket team) basically invented the context of all the games shown to make it seem more dramatic. Calling random group games a semi-final and all sorts.

Mazuuurk
22-01-2019, 10:57 AM
It's a tad repetetive, in that it follows a team thats essentially losing all season and they do meagre attempts at trying to convey a feeling of "hope" that the team has which constantly gets squashed. In fairness, I suppose that's a bit what it's like, given at the end they were still "only" a few points off.

But I think the highlight isn't so much seeing the team as seeing it's supporters. There's this one guy in particular they are following who's got a haunting set of teeth and a well soondurlagnd accent (how do they somehow sound like they are constantly swallowing while they talk?).

That, and the fact that the whole thing is basically showing how football works now. Supporter culture, Saturday 3pm, Local lads, Local coach, Community, all that stuff basically means fuck all. You have a chairman who isn't bothered, and the club is fucked.

wullie
22-01-2019, 11:06 AM
I've only watched the first episode so far but the Scottish CEO guy who I remember was getting a lot of blame seemed to come across ok, Simon Grayson's presentation in pre-season to a load of bored footballers was great though. Local. Hard work. Passion. Try. Success. Synergy, so... yeah?

Can't wait for Chris Coleman to show up and confirm what I always knew about him even when Wales were doing well.

SvN
22-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Simon Grayson came across as a nice enough bloke, but absolutely thick as pig shit.

Manc
22-01-2019, 12:46 PM
Has anyone caught SAS: Who dares Wins?

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-01-2019, 12:22 AM
And I'm done with Punisher 2.

So damn good, Frank is on top form and even though this isn't the best Netflix MCU (Daredevil and Jessica Jones (season 1 at least) are better) I think Frank Castle is my favourite character and I'm going to miss it when they inevitably cancel it within the next month.

Wasn't a fan of Krista Dumont, I just didn't like her falling for Russo and aligning herself completely with him so quickly. I just didn't buy her character at all.

The ending scene :drool:

The Merse
23-01-2019, 12:43 AM
There’s some quality moments in Sunderland Til I Die, including the attempts to offload Rodwell, but in general it fell into the tropes of the All or Nothing series, DRAMA empathy DRAMA sympathy DRAMA DrAMATIC MUSIC slo mo footage DRAMA sob story.

The first season of Last Chance U remains the best of the modern fly on the wall fare, but the Graham Taylor one has to be the best I’ve seen. Proper fly on the wall stuff, with little awareness on show.

mugbull
23-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Simon Grayson came across as a nice enough bloke, but absolutely thick as pig shit.

Yeah, he came across as an absolute retard. The team meeting he called where in his monotony he instructed his players to try to develop team spirit because a good team spirit will help win games was absolute jokes. I'm guessing the teams that have great "spirit" didn't develop it by sitting in on a conference where their boss told them to. He also spoke like a walking HR advertisement.

Coleman definitely seemed smart and a much better manager, but it was all so fucked at that point.

Jimmy Floyd
23-01-2019, 07:22 AM
People's attempts to defend Rodwell with 'He signed a contract and it's their fault they can't afford it' is a load of nonsense, as far as I'm aware in most employment contracts there is at least the hint that in return for the salary you at least attempt to do your job properly.

thommo
23-01-2019, 07:50 AM
It amazes me that Rodwell is still only 27. And he has somehow earned 3 England caps.

Limoutsonik
23-01-2019, 08:29 AM
And I'm done with Punisher 2.

So damn good, Frank is on top form and even though this isn't the best Netflix MCU (Daredevil and Jessica Jones (season 1 at least) are better) I think Frank Castle is my favourite character and I'm going to miss it when they inevitably cancel it within the next month.

Wasn't a fan of Krista Dumont, I just didn't like her falling for Russo and aligning herself completely with him so quickly. I just didn't buy her character at all.

The ending scene :drool:

That ending scene will hold me over for years to me as far as i am concerned

Lewis
23-01-2019, 10:49 PM
I've never seen a sports documentary that wasn't full of continuity disasters. Creatives and editors hate the procedural logic of sport, they need maximum drama at every turn.

The best sports doc I've seen (Out of the Ashes about the rise of the Afghanistan cricket team) basically invented the context of all the games shown to make it seem more dramatic. Calling random group games a semi-final and all sorts.

I watched Senna the other night. I saw it when it came out, but I know more about it now, and the way it makes him out to be some pure soul who just wanted to race and give his money to lepers... Wasn't he just about the most spoilt twat to ever sit in racing car? You could come away from it thinking that the FIA hobbled Williams - and only Williams - just to get in his way.

Jimmy Floyd
23-01-2019, 11:09 PM
In the same way as above, the film needed a particular narrative, i.e. Senna the pure Latin romantic doing things from the heart, and Prost the cold European bastard out to trick everyone. We've all seen that story play out a few times. In this case it kind of worked (supported by good old supervillain Balestre) but from memory it laughably glossed over his darker side, particularly when it cut from him deliberately crashing into Prost to his bullshit spiel about racing drivers having to go for a gap that exists (as well as a gap that did not exist, evidently).

All the top drivers are spoiled but he had an unusual level of visceral paranoia, although so did his mate Prost. Exploring the darker side would have made for a more interesting film too as I've never really understood where the paranoia came from - with Prost it was his weapon to outwit people who were perhaps naturally as quick or quicker than him over a lap, but with Senna there was no rags to riches background or anything fuelling it, just perhaps an unearthly talent. As it is, the film was just a well-framed, one-sided homage.

Disco
24-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Lets have Gerhard Berger throw your briefcase out of a helicopter and see how paranoid you get.

Pepe
24-01-2019, 12:12 PM
My father did logistics for Goodyear when F1 came to Mexico in the 80s/90s. He said Senna was a bit of a wanker and also carried some sort of witch around with him at all times. Prost apparently was a top lad.

Lewis
25-01-2019, 06:39 PM
On a related note, I watched the documentary about Frank Williams on the train (my friend gave me their old smartphone), and it's harder to know who the bigger arsehole is out of him, for having been one all his life, or whichever family members happens to be on the screen justifying it.

*cheats on his long-suffering wife*
'That's just Frank lol anything for motor racing!'

I bet the minute he croaks his daughter will be on the phone selling up.

Jimmy Floyd
25-01-2019, 06:50 PM
There is a pretty exact correlation between Williams's success and Patrick Head's amount of influence in the team (with a bit of Adrian Newey chucked in for a lol in the 90s). Frank is just a hustler.

Lewis
25-01-2019, 08:14 PM
He does seem to be mentally deficient on some level. Like a perpetual twelve year old.

Alex
29-01-2019, 09:47 PM
I've blasted through the first season of this police drama called 19-2 on Amazon over the last couple of days. It's not made my Amazon, that's just where I found in streaming. It's Canadian, but don't let that put though off. I've really enjoyed it so far. I reminds me quite a bit of Southland.

The Merse
30-01-2019, 11:51 AM
Finished the last season of The Americans after picking it up for less than a fiver on Amazon. I’ll miss it, this season being a strong one and it never really having dipped in quality throughout the arc. For the final episode, it did well too - nothing was jarring, it was sombre, it didn’t try to close off every narrative.

Queenslander
31-01-2019, 02:57 AM
True Detective season 3 is well worth the slow burn.

Manc
31-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Speaking of slow burns, Mad Men. Can someone tell me now that nothing happens?

Pepe
31-01-2019, 01:02 PM
I dropped it after a while. First few season are alright, but the more it focuses on 'Don' the shitter it gets, since he is dull as fuck.

Kikó
01-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Speaking of slow burns, Mad Men. Can someone tell me now that nothing happens?

Some things happen but depends what you're after.

Panda Bear
02-02-2019, 08:33 PM
I'm over four years behind the pace, but the first season of Fargo is some of the best television that I have ever watched. The last time that I felt such genuine fear for or frustration with the characters was The Wire.

John
02-02-2019, 08:34 PM
I'm over four years behind the pace, but the first season of Fargo is some of the best television that I have ever watched. The last time that I felt such genuine fear for or frustration with the characters was The Wire.

Yeah, it's absolutely great. Have you watched the whole season or still working your way through?

John
02-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Brooklyn Nine Nine absolutely nailed Gina's exit episode. Reminding us what an absolute pest she is was a very clever way to ensure nobody would miss her.

Panda Bear
02-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Yeah, it's absolutely great. Have you watched the whole season or still working your way through?My wife and I just finished the first season, and I spent the entire finale on edge over Molly and Gus surviving. Would you say the following seasons compare?

John
02-02-2019, 08:46 PM
My wife and I just finished the first season, and I spent the entire finale on edge over Molly and Gus surviving. Would you say the following seasons compare?

They're not as good, but still miles better than most things you could be watching. The second goes back in time to deal with an event mentioned in passing by a couple of people in the first season, and has Patrick Wilson playing a young Lou, while he was still a policeman.

Spoiler refers only to the first season.

When Lester sends his lovely new wife into the shop as a sort of canary I was about as angry as I've ever been watching television. The realisation of what he was up to as he told her to wear his jacket and pull the hood up made me genuinely furious.

I think the tensest scene in the whole thing for me was Lorne Malvo and Lou in the diner, each knowing there was something off about the other, and us being aware both that Lorne would kill him without thinking and that Molly was on her way. Just wonderfully written stuff. Lorne Malvo is a blinding creation.

Panda Bear
02-02-2019, 09:19 PM
Noted. It seemed likely that they would jump to Sioux Falls at some point.

When Lester first bludgeons his wife, I felt sympathy for him as someone who had endured a lifetime of emotional abuse and ridicule only to make the gravest of errors in the face of it. The show did a great job in transforming this sense of pity for Lester into a sense of hatred as we watch him make a cowardly choice in self-preservation to the detriment of others at every opportunity. He is simply unable to admit culpability for his actions. By the time he frames his brother, we know conclusively that there was a reason why even those near him were put off by him.

Great writing. My wife told me that I'm an idiot for having some initial sympathy for him, and that's probably the case.

On a completely different note, I loved Key and Peele's turn as incompetent agents.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
03-02-2019, 08:25 PM
My wife and I just finished the first season, and I spent the entire finale on edge over Molly and Gus surviving. Would you say the following seasons compare?

I'd have the second season as even better. Third takes a notable dip.

Browning
18-02-2019, 03:28 PM
It's been announced that series 8 will feature Iain Stirling, Joe Thomas, Lou Sanders, Paul Sinha and Sian Gibson.

RIP Taskmaster.

John
18-02-2019, 03:35 PM
I know who one of those people is, and he's every bit as funny as a drowning in the kiddy pool.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-02-2019, 03:41 PM
That's a fucking terrible line up.

Dave.
18-02-2019, 03:47 PM
I know who one of those people is, and he's every bit as funny as a drowning in the kiddy pool.

Do you live in a cave?

Baz
18-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Joe Thomas is Simon from the Inbetweeners.
Iain Sterling is the voiceover man from Love Island.
Paul Sinha is from The Chase. :wtf:
Sian Gibson is from Peter Kay's car pool programme.
Not a clue about Lou Thomas. Don't even know their pronoun.

Giggles
18-02-2019, 05:24 PM
I'm in the same boat as John then.

Disco
18-02-2019, 05:33 PM
I didn't know who 'Drake' was the other day, which was apparently surprising to some, so I have no chance with this lot.

Giggles
18-02-2019, 05:38 PM
I'm saying rapper and I'd be about 80% sure I'm right on that.

Down with the kids.

Disco
18-02-2019, 05:39 PM
Home with the downies.

Giggles
18-02-2019, 05:42 PM
Home with the downies.

:D

Jimmy Floyd
18-02-2019, 05:44 PM
In fairness have they not just run out of people to go on it by now?

igor_balis
18-02-2019, 06:04 PM
I love that Richard herring is with TV panel show mafia Avalon and still doesn't get asked to go on this. You just know he's asked as well.

I think it'll be good, even the seasons which looked like having shit lineups have been alright, the format is strong enough to handle weaker lineups. Paul Sinha is also a comedian and a very decent one I reckon. More nice and charming fella than cry laughing but he'll be v good on taskmaster I reckon.

Raoul Duke
18-02-2019, 07:37 PM
JJ and The Punisher croaked by Netflix :( Hopefully they'll all move to Disney as the last series of Punisher was great.

I'm back into The Expanse now it's on Amazon. Such fucking great sci-fi.

John
18-02-2019, 08:05 PM
I'm back into The Expanse now it's on Amazon. Such fucking great sci-fi.

Yeah, it's shit hot. I assume you mean that they've added the previous seasons to their library, rather than that the Amazon produced season is out. If it's the latter I'll be cancelling everything else to watch it immediately.

Apparently Amazon have almost tripled their budget per episode. The effects were generally excellent in the first three series, but they were occasionally a bit shonky and that should not be the case in season four, with a reported budget bigger than anything currently on TV short of Game of Thrones.

Raoul Duke
18-02-2019, 08:47 PM
Nah, season 3 is out (2 were on Netflix?). Picks up at the same clip as the first.

John
18-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Nah, season 3 is out (2 were on Netflix?). Picks up at the same clip as the first.

It was made by the SyFy channel and all their stuff winds up on Netflix, but they cancelled it after the third season and Amazon picked it up, so presumably they've just outbid Netflix for the third season to get people on board for the fourth season, which they're producing. Apparently Amazon have offered them an overall budget rather than an episodic one so they have freedom to spend big on one episode and take it out of the others, but supposedly there's a massive event from the books which they ought to be coming up on this year and they're being given forty million dollars to put together whichever episode houses it. :drool:

Could be the rare show, joining probably only Southland, that gets better after a cancellation.

Giggles
18-02-2019, 08:57 PM
Southland :drool:

Raoul Duke
18-02-2019, 09:00 PM
Ah ok, cheers. I only knew about the Netflix seasons. It’s new to me.

Manc
18-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Baptiste got off to an iffy start. Hopefully it picks up.

Spikey M
18-02-2019, 09:04 PM
I thought it was quite good. Although I'm not sure if I can deal with another series of thinking I know what's going on for 55 minutes, only for them to whip the rug away before the closing credits. Every. Fucking. Week.

I will though, mind.

John
18-02-2019, 09:07 PM
Ah ok, cheers. I only knew about the Netflix seasons. It’s new to me.

The world building in it is absolutely brilliant. I think I realised it was going to be pretty intelligent fare early on, when the 'torture' for the terrorist lad from the asteroid belt was just being made to stand up under his own strength with actual gravity. The sort of little detail that really makes you buy into a world.

Raoul Duke
18-02-2019, 09:10 PM
My favourite thing about it is the UI design of stuff like the phones/tablets they all use.

Also some scene I remember in the first season when they’re in this city with Miller and there’s loads of drone delivery things flying around. So cool.

Boydy
18-02-2019, 09:26 PM
My favourite thing about it is the UI design of stuff like the phones/tablets they all use.

:D

You nerd.

I might have to start watching this with the glowing praise in here. It sounds like it'd be right up my street anyway. And John's never usually wrong about TV shows.

Alex
18-02-2019, 09:31 PM
The world building in it is absolutely brilliant. I think I realised it was going to be pretty intelligent fare early on, when the 'torture' for the terrorist lad from the asteroid belt was just being made to stand up under his own strength with actual gravity. The sort of little detail that really makes you buy into a world.

The "flip and burn" to turn the Canterbury around in the very first episode was the same sort of lightbulb moment for me. Really a very good show.

igor_balis
18-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Stating the obvious but I watched a bunch of compilations of clips from The Wire on youtube the other night, first time I've seen it for years, and I was reminded of how brilliant it was.

Having watched more polished shows since I sort of do notice that the acting isn't always perfect but, and I know this makes me sound like a wanker, I feel it doesn't matter that much cus it almost adds to the GRITTY REALISM of the thing.

It was the first time I've seen the scene where Michael kills Snopp since I watched the show originally. Amazing stuff. "you look good, girl"

Jimmy Floyd
18-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Every time I've watched it back, I've thought Idris Elba was rubbish in it (although Stringer was great, if that makes sense).

I have often wondered why they bothered getting him and Dominic West over as I'm pretty sure there are fairly stringent visa rules there regarding actors for TV.

John
18-02-2019, 10:09 PM
It took me about three tries to get past Sonja Sohn's 'Aight, tell me what I'm seeing girl' in the car stop scene coming so quickly on the back of 'Snot Boogie' in the opening.

I'd disagree that Idris Elba is crap, but he probably isn't in the top ten in terms of performances even though his character is top three.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-02-2019, 11:43 PM
Watched the first season of The Umbrella Academy over the last few days and I absolutely loved it. I've heard some people moan about the pacing but I love a bit of a slow burn.

Giggles
19-02-2019, 06:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtGqjxECVe8

Mazuuurk
19-02-2019, 07:55 PM
I've gone through all the The Magicians seasons to date. It's... I dunno. I read one of the books and both enjoyed and hated it for being cringeworthy at the same time. The series is the same. First season really is pretty cringeworthy at times, and the whole premise is just so damn odd. Still, I'm hooked now.

There's this one character, Eliot, who proper carries the show.

Giggles
02-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Brooklyn Nine Nine is done. Down the tubes.

I thought it couldn't get any worse than the Gina episode but the whole 'THIS EPISODE HAS A MESSAGE' was a new low. Holt has been made into a cartoon character too.

Yevrah
02-03-2019, 03:09 PM
I've watched You over the last week. It was actually quite good.

mo
02-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Got into Archer at the third time of asking (pilot never blew me away and struggled with Archer and Bob from Bob's Burgers sounding the same) and am now into season 8. Presuming the best is behind us now.
I didn't mind that ISIS ceased to be but the whole 1940s coma stuff has been nowhere near as good, to the point I almost gave up. They ruined Pam.

Sir Andy Mahowry
02-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Vice and the last two were shit.

mo
02-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Vice and the last two were shit.

I didn’t mind Vice, but it wasn’t a patch on the rest. Not sure why creators feel compelled to keep looking for zany alternative universes for the ISIS crew to inhabit.

Bernanke
02-03-2019, 07:19 PM
I stopped watching during the first episode of the noir season. It just wasn't the same anymore.

John Arne
03-03-2019, 03:11 PM
Brooklyn Nine Nine is done. Down the tubes.

I thought it couldn't get any worse than the Gina episode but the whole 'THIS EPISODE HAS A MESSAGE' was a new low. Holt has been made into a cartoon character too.

Yup. Last 3 episodes have been garbage. Which is a real shame.

Boydy
03-03-2019, 03:14 PM
What have they done to it?

I've not seen any of the latest season yet.

Giggles
03-03-2019, 03:18 PM
What have they done to it?

I've not seen any of the latest season yet.

This latest one was all about how hard it is for women in the workplace, etc to the extent that they just rammed it down your throat and loosely built a storyline about it.

They also had some rubbish pointless sub story that was basically Holt but multiplied by 10. They've made him ridiculous.

John
03-03-2019, 08:44 PM
The one with the Gina replacement being Indian Holt was joyous. I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but they generally do the issue episodes pretty well, although the combination of issue episode and directed by a cast member doesn't fill me with optimism.

Giggles
03-03-2019, 08:50 PM
I liked the last 'spy' episode too, Indian Holt was excellent. Holt is the bigger crime than the issue episode thing in this latest one.

Mazuuurk
04-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Four episodes into the latest True Detective season and while it's back to great, it's still far off from the first season. The dynamic between the Detectives that Harrelson and Mcconnaughey had isn't there (and won't every be in television again, I suspect).

The first season had a way of making the slow passages seem interesting that is sort of lacking a bit here. I find myself just wanting to get to the resolution to figure out what the fuck is up (cause 4 episodes in I still really have no inkling).

Kikó
04-03-2019, 07:26 PM
I thought it was worth sticking with. Still no patch on season 1 but pretty good TV.

John
04-03-2019, 07:41 PM
The latest Brooklyn Nine Nine was absolutely fine. Far from the best episode they've done but declaring the show finished because of it, particularly when it's coming on the back of an episode as good as the one before it, is just stupid. Holt becoming a cartoon is a much bigger problem, and one which Ital and I identified years ago to lots of moaning from the resident nuggets.

Manc
04-03-2019, 10:47 PM
Some geezer winning half a million like it's no bother.

Jimmy Floyd
04-03-2019, 11:32 PM
Fleabag is phenomenal.

igor_balis
05-03-2019, 12:17 AM
Anyone like Simon Reeve? I know he's basically just a charming baby-faced posho doing travelogues (I don't think you could make up a job more inherently nepotistic aside from maybe newspaper think piece writer), but I just think his shows are just...I dunno, really watchable.

Places That Don't Exist (disputed territories like nagorno-karabakh) and Meet The Stans (duh) are really great mindless tv.

Lewis
05-03-2019, 12:18 AM
Some geezer winning half a million like it's no bother.

Right easy question for a million as well.

igor_balis
05-03-2019, 12:20 AM

what were 500k and 1m questions?

Queenslander
05-03-2019, 02:10 AM
Season 3 of True Detective is worth sticking with

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-03-2019, 02:21 AM

Ingram's million question was a piece of piss (a number one followed by 100 0's is called...) and he needed someone to cough for him the useless twat.

Manc
05-03-2019, 07:21 AM
Anyone like Simon Reeve?

Top bloke.

Giggles
08-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Anyone watch this Formula 1 thing on Netflix? Came up there when I opened it to play Discovery. Any good?

Pepe
08-03-2019, 06:34 PM
Is that the one where they have to pretend like Ferrari and Mercedes don't exist?

Lewis
11-03-2019, 11:16 PM
After Life is actually alright. You will have heard half the material in his stand-up before, but it isn't toilet like Derek.

Yevrah
12-03-2019, 11:20 AM
I quite enjoyed it, yes.

igor_balis
12-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Derek is fascinatingly bad. Significantly worse than when the whistle blows.

SvN
12-03-2019, 01:44 PM
I thought the first season was watchable. The second season, including the reconciliation with his dad, was up there with the worst shit I've ever watched.

Lewis
12-03-2019, 01:55 PM
I watched the Extras Christmas episode the other week, and it was a lot crapper than I remembered it being (the ending being slightly ironic now given his own conduct these days), so I might re-watch the series at some point.

Baz
16-03-2019, 11:14 PM
I watched After Life tonight. Really enjoyed it.

The fat bloke slurping the breast milk really made me laugh. As did a five-legged slut. Actually, quite a lot of it did. I haven’t watched his standup since Science and Animals so all new to me.

Heroin looks good, an’ all.

-james-
17-03-2019, 09:38 AM
Derry Girls is brilliant. One of the funniest things I've watched in a while.

Alex
22-03-2019, 12:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcftIUE6MQ

Yes!

igor_balis
24-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Been trying to persuade my mate to watch the Wire for YEARS, and he's started it and got bored of it after an episode or two about 4 times, and I've never watched Games of Thrones except episode 1 with a girl I was trying to shag about 5 years ago. We drunkenly made a deal to watch 2 episodes of each show a week then compare notes. About to start GoT now, clearly leaving university hasn't changed my approach to handling deadlines.

Trying to keep an open mind, but I fucking hate pixies and dragons and ye olde medieval cunts with swords and shit. At least hoping I hate it less than I hated LOTR.

Spikey M
24-03-2019, 09:48 PM
For what it's worth, I don't like that shit either. GoT is mostly good for the politics. And yes, LoTR is bollocks.

Has anyone seen OA? I'm watching the 2nd series. It's decent. It probably would have been bigger if Stranger Things didn't exist.

Boydy
24-03-2019, 10:12 PM
I don't normally like that shit either but Game of Thrones is quality.

mugbull
24-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Same-ish, but the acting in GoT is very wooden. Nowhere near as good as The Wire in that regard.

igor_balis
24-03-2019, 10:33 PM
In fairness I didn't think the acting was the stronget point of the wire. Sopranos the pinnacle in that regard for me, with an honourable mention for six feet under which is always massively underrated in the "BEST TV SHOWS EVER" discussions IMHO.

mugbull
24-03-2019, 11:32 PM
Gandolfini was a 10/10 there but I think most of the other actors on that show were about on the same level as most of the actors on the Wire. Thing is the Wire had so many different characters to spread around the acting roles that some (michael b jordan) were bound to disappoint a little bit. That said, i don’t remember a single character in the Wire that was poorly acted

igor_balis
24-03-2019, 11:38 PM
Gandolfini was a 10/10 there but I think most of the other actors on that show were about on the same level as most of the actors on the Wire. Thing is the Wire had so many different characters to spread around the acting roles that some (michael b jordan) were bound to disappoint a little bit. That said, i don’t remember a single character in the Wire that was poorly acted

I think both shows were really good at getting the best out of their actors. I've seen a lot of criticism of Steven Van Zandt (Silvio Dante), and even though he's not even an actor (mostly known as one of Springsteen's guitarists), I thought he was absolutely fine in the the Sopranos. I've also seen loads of people roast Dominic West for his shit American accent but I didn't even realise he was an English posho until afterwards. The fact I was a 16 year old div when I first watched it might be a mitigating factor, though.

mugbull
24-03-2019, 11:42 PM
His American accent was really really good, i had no idea he wasn’t American until I read his wikipedia page.

The one Sopranos actor that always pissed me off wasn’t Van Zandt, but the guy who played Paulie. Lame-O

John
25-03-2019, 12:12 AM
Paulie was the best character on that show, boring repetition of crap jokes aside.

All the kids on The Sopranos were absolutely terrible.

igor_balis
25-03-2019, 12:17 AM
Paulie was the best character on that show, boring repetition of crap jokes aside.

All the kids on The Sopranos were absolutely terrible.

Tony's bantz with his mates were always my favourite bits of the show.

What did you think of the kids in the wire?

John
25-03-2019, 05:52 AM
The prominent ones were all good, with the four in season four all being excellent, but you could tell that for the minor roles they were just taking Cutty's truancy van round and casting off the street.

Actually, Sherrod was pretty prominent for a while and the kid playing him couldn't act sad if his mum died, so he's the exception.

Baz
25-03-2019, 06:27 AM
You’ve been mugged off, swapping GoT for The Wire. I’ve only ever watched the first episode of each but The Wire is clearly far superior.

It amazes me how popular Lame Of Thrones is. Dumb dragon and incest shite, OMG must watch it live at 2am!

Mike
25-03-2019, 08:14 AM
Game of Thrones is great, I think it peaked a few seasons ago though but still can’t wait for the new episodes.
The Wire completely blows it away though.

Giggles
25-03-2019, 08:39 AM
You’ve been mugged off, swapping GoT for The Wire. I’ve only ever watched the first episode of each but The Wire is clearly far superior.

It amazes me how popular Lame Of Thrones is. Dumb dragon and incest shite, OMG must watch it live at 2am!

:thbup:

Mazuuurk
26-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Started watching Turn Up Charlie on Netflix recently, mostly just because it had Idriss Elba in it and he's a don. But it's actually really enjoyable to watch. It's nice to watch something a little light-hearted, been a while since I did that for some reason.

Spikey M
27-03-2019, 08:13 PM
'Road to Brexit' on iPlayer is pretty good. It's a 'mockumentary' by Matt Berry and is exactly what you'd expect of him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2019/13/the-road-to-brexit

Alex
28-03-2019, 09:54 PM
I went back to the X-Files recently after a couple of years off. I think I made it to season six last time around, but I quickly realised I had forgotten pretty much everything that was going on so I've just restarted it. I'm back into the second season now.

I'm surprised how little I remember of it from the first time around, to be honest. I'd also forgotten how every notable person that has ever been on television seems to turn up in a guest role at one point or another. :D

Raoul Duke
28-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Has anyone seen OA? I'm watching the 2nd series. It's decent. It probably would have been bigger if Stranger Things didn't exist.

I thought the first season was amazing (weird, but fantastic). Not got into S2 yet.

I've been watching Ozark recently. Great show too.

John
31-03-2019, 10:45 PM
I've started rewatching Lost recently with someone who's never seen it before. Fucking hell Michael is a wanker.

It doesn't help that I'm immediately annoyed by his odd little puckered chinless face any time he comes on screen, but I reckon you could give his lines to Idris Elba, or whitewash it and put Olivia Colman in there, and I'd still want that character to have landed arsehole first on a bamboo stem when the plane crashed.

Yevrah
31-03-2019, 10:47 PM
Ma boi, they tuk ma boi.

Over and over again.

John
31-03-2019, 10:56 PM
I haven't reached that point yet but I'm already getting PTSD just thinking about it.

We're only a few episodes in, so he's still going off his head for no obvious reason any time Locke pets their dog, while at the same time pretty much telling Walt to fuck off any time he actually tries to hang around with the massive hooting fanny.

Lewis
31-03-2019, 11:24 PM
The best Sopranos performances were Tony and Carmela, Janice (must be the most irritating character in anything ever), Adriana, Christopher, Richie, Uncle Junior, and Johnny Sack. Everybody else was either phoning it in, playing themselves, or shit.

Honourable mentions to Little Carmine, and Frank Vincent in that episode where Phil turns into a house.

John
01-04-2019, 12:02 AM
Janice wasn't half as irritating as Livia. The performance is good, in that she's exactly as loathsome as intended, but she's a fucking terrible character.

igor_balis
01-04-2019, 12:10 AM
I sometimes think hatred of female characters is a bit excessive and says more about the attitudes of the viewer (Skyler White was annoying at times, but I definitely think a lot of the STUPID FUCKING CUNT comments I've seen online come from the same people who thought Walt was a fucking ledge for the entirety of the show, point missing idiots), but yes, Livia was a wonderfully evil character. One of my fave tv antagonists.

Christopher is a brilliant character, Michael Imperioli is hilarious at times. I think the comedy is actually what gives Sopranos the edge over the Wire for me. I don't think there's a funnier tv show ever made that wasn't an out and out comedy show.

John
01-04-2019, 12:22 AM
The Wire was funnier than The Sopranos. There were fewer overtly comedic scenes, certainly, but far more laughs in otherwise serious scenes and it handled subtle, throwaway jokes as well as the very best comedies.

There isn't a moment in The Sopranos that can stand beside 'Nigga, is you taking notes on a criminal fucking conspiracy?'

igor_balis
01-04-2019, 12:49 AM
The Wire was funnier than The Sopranos. There were fewer overtly comedic scenes, certainly, but far more laughs in otherwise serious scenes and it handled subtle, throwaway jokes as well as the very best comedies.

I totally disagree but see where you're coming from. The Wire did subtle humour brilliantly well, but I really liked the way the Sopranos would just turn into a broad sitcom for some scenes.

John
01-04-2019, 01:08 AM
I totally disagree but see where you're coming from. The Wire did subtle humour brilliantly well, but I really liked the way the Sopranos would just turn into a broad sitcom for some scenes.

See I'd consider that a mark against The Sopranos. The Wire could go broad, Herc and Carver were basically slapstick comic relief characters for the whole first season, and the scene with the desk stuck in the doorway has been done in some form a million times, albeit without the meta aspect of Cool Lester Smooth winking through the screen at you. McNulty trying to recreate a car crash or fully prat falling down a hill pissed are pure slapstick moments too, but they're always in service of some aspect of either the narrative or the characters involved.

As good as it was, and I'm less high on it than most people, The Sopranos wasn't that interested in character development for the most part, so when it did shift into those moments of pure comedy they tended to be empty. They wouldn't betray the characters for the sake of a joke, which I always admire, but it was rare that a laugh on The Sopranos would come at a moment of character or plot advancement.

I should clarify part of that. The Sopranos was always interested in character, it was an almost entirely character driven show, but the characters didn't change much over the series. We learned new things about them, but how many characters with more than, say, fifteen episodes would you say are significantly different people at the end of the series than they were whenever they turned up?

igor_balis
01-04-2019, 01:16 AM
See I'd consider that a mark against The Sopranos. The Wire could go broad, Herc and Carver were basically slapstick comic relief characters for the whole first season, and the scene with the desk stuck in the doorway has been done in some form a million times, albeit without the meta aspect of Cool Lester Smooth winking through the screen at you. McNulty trying to recreate a car crash or fully prat falling down a hill pissed are pure slapstick moments too, but they're always in service of some aspect of either the narrative or the characters involved.

As good as it was, and I'm less high on it than most people, The Sopranos wasn't that interested in character development for the most part, so when it did shift into those moments of pure comedy they tended to be empty. They wouldn't betray the characters for the sake of a joke, which I always admire, but it was rare that a laugh on The Sopranos would come at a moment of character or plot advancement.

Good analysis, I do mostly agree with how you characterise the differences between the two shows there, but i don't personally see it as a clear victory for the wire - I like both for different reasons.

Like I even just about agree that The Wire uses comedy as a tool for servicing the show as a whole better, I just think The Sopranos is funnier. Like there's no scene in any tv show that made me laugh more than Junior thinking Larry David in Curb was him.

John
01-04-2019, 01:32 AM
I mentioned it in an edit earlier, so you may have missed it, but I'd put Stringer grabbing the minutes off Shamrock alongside anything you could name, and certainly above anything from The Sopranos. Omar on the stand is funnier on its own than a four or five episode run of The Sopranos.

As I said though, I just don't rate The Sopranos as highly as most people seem to. It's brilliant and influential, but with the exception of the first season it isn't the transcendent masterpiece it's hailed as.

Manc
01-04-2019, 12:24 PM
I'd be well up for watching Lost again. Such an epic.

Alex
01-04-2019, 11:56 PM
There's more comedy value in the Pine Barrens episode of The Sopranos alone than in the entire run of The Wire, in my opinion. Which is not to say, by any means, that I think The Wire lacked it's fair share of funny moments.

Manc
04-04-2019, 05:30 PM
I've persevered with Mad Men and I'm now locked in. Runs nicely alongside my Vietnam doc.

Shindig
04-04-2019, 07:25 PM
I'm annoyed I lost track of it in season 2. HBO's doing a Chernobyl series. I'd much prefer a proper documentary. Mainly because everyone in the trailer seems to be British and I think they're going more into the cover up. I'd rather have the human stories of the clean-up.

Bernanke
05-04-2019, 12:51 AM
I'm annoyed I lost track of it in season 2. HBO's doing a Chernobyl series. I'd much prefer a proper documentary. Mainly because everyone in the trailer seems to be British and I think they're going more into the cover up. I'd rather have the human stories of the clean-up.

Could check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_from_Chernobyl_(film)

Based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_from_Chernobyl

Bob Sacamano
05-04-2019, 04:29 PM
I actually don't care for the new Gomorra without Ciro, thank god for the prequel film. Though it'll be interesting how they show it as the difference between the first episode of Gomorra Ciro and latter Ciro is widly different. Though I hope we see more Conte :hail:

Alex
05-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Gomorrah is back? This is news to me!

Bob Sacamano
05-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Gomorrah is back? This is news to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wahRkb8Ofk

No Ciro no Party

Alex
05-04-2019, 05:59 PM
I do worry about the lack of Ciro. As long as we've still got Genny though, I'm in. I liked that cool looking bastard from the last season too, the lad in charge of that little gang on the mopeds that ended up becoming big players. I forget his name now.

Bob Sacamano
05-04-2019, 06:04 PM
I do worry about the lack of Ciro. As long as we've still got Genny though, I'm in. I liked that cool looking bastard from the last season too, the lad in charge of that little gang on the mopeds that ended up becoming big players. I forget his name now.

That's true, he was an absolute G.

I've still never gotten over Conte dying, even Track ffs.

I just feel they killed off too many likeable characters. As if you could even call Ciro likeable but still....

Ian
12-04-2019, 08:11 AM
I didn't realise Brooklyn Nine-Nine had actually started on UK TV so I got caught up on the first few episodes last night. It's been up and down so far but there have been a few laughs in there.

Giggles
12-04-2019, 08:35 AM
It gets real real bad but half decent again now.

Ian
12-04-2019, 08:51 AM
How far in are you? Just so I know, if I agree that it gets proper shit, how long I'm enduring that until it perks up again.

Giggles
12-04-2019, 09:33 AM
How far in are you? Just so I know, if I agree that it gets proper shit, how long I'm enduring that until it perks up again.

Seen all bar the one that aired in the U S and A last night.

Magic
14-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Jesus christ that walrus scene in Our Planet really, really got to me.

Kikó
14-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Binging the American Office. It's brilliant.

Foe
14-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Binging the American Office. It's brilliant.

What season are you on? Assume you've not seen it before?

Kikó
14-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Season 3 and no.

Foe
14-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Seasons 3 and 4 are some of the finest comedy ever made.
Enjoy it.

Lewis
14-04-2019, 02:11 PM
I watched the second series of Fleabag last night, and I reckon it's the best sitcom since The Office.

Ian
15-04-2019, 09:50 AM
I've just cleared off Glow and Endeavour so I might give Fleabag a go next.

Glow continues to be great with Marc Maron and Alison Brie the highlights. Endeavour had a really good series, one of the best ones they've done yet I'd say. I suspect it's aged horribly but I'm kinda tempted to go back and watch some episodes of Morse to see how it ties in. I thought they were alright when half-watching them as a kid when my parents had them on.

Obviously Game of Thrones started this morning but I'd probably end up rattling through Fleabag quickly if I liked it.

Still need to get round to the second series of The Punisher as well.

-james-
15-04-2019, 10:39 AM
I did After Life in a night last week, and season one of Fleabag last night. The bingeable 6x30 minute season format of television is brilliant.

I found After Life very enjoyable but Fleabag is on another level. Will probably do season two tonight after Game of Thrones. Scenes tbh.

Baz
15-04-2019, 11:13 AM
Never heard of this Fleabag. Might have to give it a go.

I presume it’s on Netflix?

Boydy
15-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Never heard of this Fleabag. Might have to give it a go.

I presume it’s on Netflix?

Nah, it's on iPlayer.

mo
15-04-2019, 01:44 PM
Think Jimmy was in about Fleabag for a while, then I started to see it pop up everywhere as a recommendation. Bloody brilliant.

Yevrah
16-04-2019, 10:47 PM
Anyone been watching Our Planet (Attenborough's latest on Netflix)?

Only two episodes in, but it's phenomenal. There's one bit so far (that I don't want to spoil) that's the best argument for actually pulling our fucking fingers out and sorting global warming I've ever seen.

Ian
17-04-2019, 06:27 AM
I haven't yet, but I will be.

My mate has loved all the previous Attenbrough stuff and says this is the best so far.

Yevrah
17-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Like I said, only two episodes in, but I’d agree from what I’ve seen so far that it’s his best so far.

Giggles
17-04-2019, 07:28 AM
Is it all full of stuff about global warming and climate change rather than just a normal show? I had been planning on watching it but fuck sitting down to a sermon.

mo
17-04-2019, 07:34 AM
Been watching Line of Duty as so many people rave about it. Was not impressed to begin with; the script writing is jarring and unnatural and some of the acting is wooden as fuck - Kate being the worst offender. The whole thing seemed very tame, but persevered due to a few stand out, shocking moments: DCI Gates' suicide at the end of series 1 and DC Trotman getting chucked out the window at the end of episode 1 of series 2. I re-watched that a few times as it caught me so by surprise. Keeley Hawes is great though.

Spikey M
17-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Is it all full of stuff about global warming and climate change rather than just a normal show? I had been planning on watching it but fuck sitting down to a sermon.

He's an END OF THE WORLD GLOBAL WARMING APOCALYPSE show on BBC tomorrow.

Yevrah
17-04-2019, 08:25 AM

Climate change is the theme, but he actually narrates over the tangible impacts of it, one example of which so far was genuinely heartbreaking to watch.

Pepe
17-04-2019, 02:58 PM
I watched the first episode. It was basically the exact same thing as the previous ones. Which is a good thing, I guess, since the others were good. Now I guess I should go check the second one out to get my heart broken.

mugbull
17-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Yeah I watched ep 1 and it seemed no different to his other stuff

Lewis
17-04-2019, 07:18 PM
Fuck him and his paper straws.

Baz
18-04-2019, 05:34 PM
I’ve no idea how people are entertained from David Attenborough programmes. Watching a polar bear walk around in the snow while he slowly comments on his assumptions of the animals thoughts - yeah great.

mugbull
18-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Started the Netflix Formula 1 series. Like anybody else in the US, I know nothing about the sport aside from having watched Senna once, but god damn am I into it now. The one annoying part about F1 to me though is that if you’re supporting a team, you’re really just supporting an automobile manufacturer and nothing else. It’s also entirely made up of rich white guys (with a small dose of Lewis Hamilton), but on the whole it seems very dope

Disco
18-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Started the Netflix Formula 1 series. Like anybody else in the US, I know nothing about the sport aside from having watched Senna once, but god damn am I into it now. The one annoying part about F1 to me though is that if you’re supporting a team, you’re really just supporting an automobile manufacturer and nothing else. It’s also entirely made up of rich white guys (with a small dose of Lewis Hamilton), but on the whole it seems very dope

There's plenty who aren't that, you could support one of those.

I've not seen it yet, I hear Gunther Steiner comes out of it very well.

mugbull
18-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Yeah, there's 2 energy drinks in there too.

Disco
18-04-2019, 06:06 PM
If you're looking for non-commercialised motorsport you're basically down to racing Pepe on his moped.

Ian
18-04-2019, 06:21 PM
I’ve no idea how people are entertained from David Attenborough programmes. Watching a polar bear walk around in the snow while he slowly comments on his assumptions of the animals thoughts - yeah great.

There isn't a form of entertainment going that doesn't sound shit if you describe it so literally.

Pepe
18-04-2019, 06:28 PM
If you're looking for non-commercialised motorsport you're basically down to racing Pepe on his moped.

I'm sponsored by Old El Paso mate.

Pepe
18-04-2019, 06:30 PM
Do many people "support" anyone in motorsports? The stands are usually filled with people dressed in team colors, so I guess yes, but everyone I know who follows any type of racing just watches the races and doesn't have a team to support, like in football. In my case it is the same with cycling. I watch but I couldn't care less who wins or which team is doing well or whatever.

Lewis
18-04-2019, 08:20 PM
Don't people just want the guy from their country to win?

Pepe
18-04-2019, 08:29 PM
I guess that works.

Disco
18-04-2019, 08:42 PM
Sounds about right.

Spikey M
18-04-2019, 08:47 PM
Fuck Lewis Hamilton.

Spikey M
18-04-2019, 08:47 PM
And Andy Murray.

Lewis
18-04-2019, 08:51 PM
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/11/article-1180451-0021028C00000578-410_468x372.jpg

It's the shirts that make it.

Spikey M
18-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Fucking hell Christine, what are you doing?

Offshore Toon
18-04-2019, 09:12 PM
I went back to the X-Files recently after a couple of years off. I think I made it to season six last time around, but I quickly realised I had forgotten pretty much everything that was going on so I've just restarted it. I'm back into the second season now.

I'm surprised how little I remember of it from the first time around, to be honest. I'd also forgotten how every notable person that has ever been on television seems to turn up in a guest role at one point or another. :D
I'm on the seventh ep of the first season. I'm really enjoying it but craving more of the 'out there' stuff.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
18-04-2019, 09:52 PM
I never did finish The X-files after 2 attempts, granted that was over years and years.

It was always at its best in the 'monster of the week' style episodes.

igor_balis
18-04-2019, 10:37 PM
anyone got recommendations for some funny but low-key tv comedies that are good fodder for having on in the background while doing other shit? i liked playing FM a lot more with old IASIP eps in the background but i'm a bit sick of it now.

Boydy
18-04-2019, 11:09 PM
anyone got recommendations for some funny but low-key tv comedies that are good fodder for having on in the background while doing other shit? i liked playing FM a lot more with old IASIP eps in the background but i'm a bit sick of it now.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine?

Baz
19-04-2019, 06:45 AM
anyone got recommendations for some funny but low-key tv comedies that are good fodder for having on in the background while doing other shit? i liked playing FM a lot more with old IASIP eps in the background but i'm a bit sick of it now.Workaholics.

Bernanke
19-04-2019, 08:39 AM
I've seen some absolutely amazing short clips of Letterkenny on Youtube recently, has anyone seen it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47Uq96lILA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0j0TNVHuk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVUMVZGA8gE

"Your mitt's actually a work of art, Betty Anne. Like Salvador Dali's "Melting Clocks." But instead of melting clocks, it's melting salad bowls of off-pink ice cream."

Giggles
19-04-2019, 04:51 PM
Discovery :drool:

That better have been a setup for a pre TOS Enterprise series

Pepe
20-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Watched the second episode of Planet Earth or whatever it is called. Not sure what "the best argument for actually pulling our fucking fingers out and sorting global warming" was. Are we talking about

The walruses falling to death? Not convinced about the direct causation of that one. Then again, that's how everything is represented today. Something bad happened? Climate change's fault, no other factors at play.

Still enjoying the show. Penguins. :cool:

Pepe
20-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Although if we are talking about

the fact that snow reflects energy while water absorbs it

then yes, that might turn out to be a major issue.

Shindig
20-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Is the ice shrinking at both poles? I know the ozone hole was above one of them.

Pepe
20-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Yes, but there is so much of it on the south that it is still not that big of an issue. On the north it is more noticeable.

Shindig
20-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Damn. At the same time, I'm not sure it's reversible.

Pepe
20-04-2019, 11:52 AM
It isn't. At this point it is either try to minimize the damage or just ignore the whole thing and hope for the best.

Shindig
20-04-2019, 12:18 PM
I know the company I work for offsets their CO2 emissions. The protesters at Heathrow demanding people limit their flying is a bit dumb, though. It's an easier solution to see operators slowly reduce their routes. We can't all suddenly switch to long-haul cruises because then they'll moan about the sea life being disrupted. I guess, if nothing else, alternative fuels are being worked on more than ever.

Boydy
21-04-2019, 10:16 PM
Line of Duty tonight. :drool:

Panda Bear
22-04-2019, 12:25 AM
I've seen some absolutely amazing short clips of Letterkenny on Youtube recently, has anyone seen it?[/video]

"Your mitt's actually a work of art, Betty Anne. Like Salvador Dali's "Melting Clocks." But instead of melting clocks, it's melting salad bowls of off-pink ice cream."Letterkenny is fucking phenomenal. :cool:

John
22-04-2019, 10:49 AM
I've raved about Letterkenny before, the first three series or so are absolutely brilliant. There's a very steep drop after that though.

The television remake of What We Do In The Shadows is off to a blinding start.

Raoul Duke
22-04-2019, 10:05 PM
Watched Umbrella Academy over the last couple of days. Great stuff if you like superhero whataveyou. Some great characters and acting (#5 and Klaus especially), Ellen Page is a bit of a wet blanket though.

Ian
23-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Onto series 2 of Fleabag and it's so good.

I'm always getting caught up on The Passage and it's decent. Not ever going to be a classic but I liked the books and they're doing a decent job of it. I'll be interested to see how they pace the seasons against the books, assuming it gets/has been renewed.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
23-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Line of Duty tonight. :drool:

Was not quite expecting that, even if things were looking iffy for him.

Manc
25-04-2019, 08:01 AM
What platform is Letterkenny on?

Ian
26-04-2019, 05:51 PM
I quite enjoyed the Doug Judy episode of the new series of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

However I also rewatched the episode with the interrogation of the dentist from last season when it was on and man I fucking love that episode.

Giggles
26-04-2019, 06:01 PM
I quite enjoyed the Doug Judy episode of the new series of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

However I also rewatched the episode with the interrogation of the dentist from last season when it was on and man I fucking love that episode.

That was on TV recently too. One of the best they've done.

Ian
26-04-2019, 06:32 PM
Yeah my series link just keeps recording them so that was how I saw it. Any Holt / Peralta stuff is the best really.

Have you watched all of season 6? (I've no idea if it's finished at Murican broadcast speed.)

Giggles
26-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Yeah my series link just keeps recording them so that was how I saw it. Any Holt / Peralta stuff is the best really.

Have you watched all of season 6? (I've no idea if it's finished at Murican broadcast speed.)

As of this morning I've 3 still to watch.

Ian
26-04-2019, 06:35 PM
And has it got better as it went along or up and down? I know you said previously it went pretty bad but was then starting to pick up at whatever point you were at.

John
26-04-2019, 06:55 PM
They did one duff episode, and even that had some great stuff in the margins.

Had the #metoo stuff they were addressing happened a few years earlier they could have rolled it into the spell when The Vulture was captain, rather than having to contrive a case.

Ian
26-04-2019, 09:19 PM
So I just finished season 1 of The Good Place.

Damn, son.

Giggles
26-04-2019, 09:32 PM
So I just finished season 1 of The Good Place.

Damn, son.

I started out watching that but after about 7 or 8 episodes it was very samey each week.

Ian
26-04-2019, 09:43 PM
I think had it been the usual 20-odd episode seasons I might have tired but I thought 13 and with the developments later in the season it was spot on.

And the ending of season 1 is superb.

Giggles
27-04-2019, 05:24 AM
I don't know whether to try watch it now or just look up what happened.

Manc
27-04-2019, 07:17 AM
Anyone catch The Looming Tower last night? Shaky start considering the plot & cast.

-james-
27-04-2019, 08:55 AM
I've been meaning to. The book is brilliant and definitely worth a read, fwiw.

John
27-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Warrior, written by Bruce Lee at a time when TV didn't have the budget to make it, is brilliant.

Spikey M
27-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Anyone catch The Looming Tower last night? Shaky start considering the plot & cast.

I thought it was decent.

Boydy
27-04-2019, 10:09 PM
I watched The Looming Tower on Amazon a while back. I thought it was pretty good.

Vercetti
27-04-2019, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I remember thinking it was alright when I watched it.

Ian
28-04-2019, 09:55 PM
So I just watched, and liked, the first episode of American Gods. But does it go the way of Hannibal and become too interested in the cleverness of it's artsy sequences or is it actually good?

Raoul Duke
29-04-2019, 07:06 PM
So I just watched, and liked, the first episode of American Gods. But does it go the way of Hannibal and become too interested in the cleverness of it's artsy sequences or is it actually good?

I've not watched Hannibal, but it's got a decent central story through the middle of it. Can meander off into being a little arty but never too much, for me. I'm just getting into the second series and it's ace.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
29-04-2019, 07:49 PM
I've not watched Hannibal, but it's got a decent central story through the middle of it. Can meander off into being a little arty but never too much, for me. I'm just getting into the second series and it's ace.

Season 2 of Hannibal is brilliant.

John
29-04-2019, 08:20 PM
Season two struck the right balance between actually telling a story and just using the idea of a nutjob as an excuse to put imaginative corpses on screen, and was very good as a result. Season one was just a complete shambles from a writing perspective, and three was basically a Bekzinski exhibit.

Disco
29-04-2019, 08:29 PM

I liked the first series it but I am a book wanker (you should read it, it's good) so I had an advantage.

Ian
29-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I liked the book. Though I read it a long time ago.

Manc
30-04-2019, 05:16 PM
It's quite difficult to escape Stephen Graham at the minute.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Watching Taskmaster now and Paul Sinha is already annoying the fuck out of me.

Magic
08-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Line of Duty is immense.

Giggles
10-05-2019, 08:16 PM
Who needs Halloween?

Cinqo de mayo heist :cool:

John
10-05-2019, 08:18 PM
That was quality. I knew they'd find a way to get the tradition in even though they wouldn't get an episode out at the usual time, but it was very well done.

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Indeed, it was on fucking top form.

John
10-05-2019, 08:42 PM
The bit about the cardboard box getting wet is the most I've laughed at anything on TV in quite a while.

Spikey M
14-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Chernobyl is absolutely excellent. Terrifying and heartbreaking, but excellent.

Disco
14-05-2019, 08:39 PM
I imagine it to be grim as shit but probably worth watching.

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-05-2019, 12:27 AM
The awkwardness from Joe Thomas upon meeting Sian before their group task was incredible.

Baz
19-05-2019, 08:13 PM
The awkwardness from Joe Thomas upon meeting Sian before their group task was incredible.Was funny wasn't it.

Last night I finished off season 7 (four episodes) and watched the first two of season 8.

Iain Sterling is so enthusiastic, which works really well. Seems like a decent lineup but I'm really not feeling Paul Sinha. Why the fuck isn't he dressed?

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-05-2019, 09:06 PM
I hated him in the first episode but he came across a lot better in the second I felt.

Alex said that his lack of common sense across the season is staggering.

SvN
20-05-2019, 01:54 PM
Chernobyl is absolutely excellent. Terrifying and heartbreaking, but excellent.

I watched the first two episodes this weekend and agree entirely. Can't wait for the next episode.

The Merse
20-05-2019, 01:58 PM
I'm simultaneously keen to watch Chernobyl due to the anticipated high production quality and absolutely non-plussed about it as I know the history fairly well and it doesn't seem too exciting, but might need to give it a go based on those impressions.

I've been binging on The Expanse. If you can get past some of the Sci Fi tropes and the annoying accents it's bloody good viewing. Close to the end of Season 3 and very glad to know already that it's coming back for Season 4 soon.

Spikey M
21-05-2019, 09:07 PM
I watched the first two episodes this weekend and agree entirely. Can't wait for the next episode.

Fuck sake.

SvN
21-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Fuck sake.

I don't get it.

Spikey M
21-05-2019, 09:36 PM
I don't get it.

It's just fucking grim. Good, I mean, but fucking hell.

John
22-05-2019, 12:19 AM
Yeah, Chernobyl is shit hot. It's a fucking tough watch though. I've just watched the first and feel like I need to lie down in a dark room for a few days.

The fallout approaching the people on the bridge wouldn't have been out of place in a horror film, which is absolutely appropriate. It's fucking terrifying.

Yevrah
22-05-2019, 04:30 AM
How are you gents watching it?

Torrents?

Giggles
22-05-2019, 05:18 AM
Yeah, Chernobyl is shit hot. It's a fucking tough watch though. I've just watched the first and feel like I need to lie down in a dark room for a few days.

The fallout approaching the people on the bridge wouldn't have been out of place in a horror film, which is absolutely appropriate. It's fucking terrifying.

Apparently last night's is full on horror stuff.

Giggles
22-05-2019, 05:19 AM
How are you gents watching it?

Torrents?

It's on Sky Atlantic.

Bernanke
22-05-2019, 06:18 AM

I had to tab away from it multiple times. It's not pretty.

Baz
22-05-2019, 06:25 AM
Sounds like I need to watch it.

Spikey M
22-05-2019, 06:45 AM
It should be a priority.

Yevrah
22-05-2019, 07:58 AM
What public torrent sites are there these days? I was on a private tv one a while back DS recommended but they suspended me for inactivity and there's never anyone in their irc chat to get the begging bowl out for.

Bernanke
22-05-2019, 08:14 AM
What public torrent sites are there these days? I was on a private tv one a while back DS recommended but they suspended me for inactivity and there's never anyone in their irc chat to get the begging bowl out for.

I just go to whatever eztv-page is up if I want shows. Movies is another topic but I rarely torrent those anyway.

Right now I think eztv.ag or eztv.io is working.

John Arne
22-05-2019, 08:22 AM
There are still a lot of piratebay proxy sites available.

John
22-05-2019, 12:52 PM

I'm fairly sure I've got an invite for my backup site you can have. I'll check in an hour or so.

Yevrah
22-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Thanks gents.

Baz
22-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Mahow invited me to BTN and it’s the best thing anyone on here has ever done for me. :)

Yevrah
22-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Yeah, that's the one I'm suspended from. Grrr.

John
22-05-2019, 04:10 PM
I have three invites but the fuckers have upped the user level required to use them from the one below me the one above. :moop:

Sorry Yev. I'll invite you when I can.

Yevrah
22-05-2019, 04:37 PM
No probs, cheers John.

Alex
22-05-2019, 05:42 PM

It was rather grim. It's been brilliant though.

Spikey M
22-05-2019, 07:19 PM
It was rather grim. It's been brilliant though.

the final dying man decaying completely did me in.