PDA

View Full Version : Do we live in a golden age of television?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

randomlegend
11-05-2018, 12:28 AM
I was joking...

John
11-05-2018, 11:15 AM
There are already two other networks plus Hulu expressing an interest in buying up B99, so there's a strong chance it isn't actually done.

Giggles
11-05-2018, 02:01 PM

phonics
11-05-2018, 10:39 PM
Saved By The Bell was a weird show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5gV_vmabM

Boydy
12-05-2018, 12:33 AM
Can't remember who else watches The Americans but does anyone else think the latest season isn't that good? I think I've seen three episodes now and I'm losing interest. It's the last one though, isn't it? Might as well see it out now.

It was just slow to get started. Up to date with it now and it's great again.

Giggles
12-05-2018, 05:35 AM
NBC have picked up Brooklyn Nine Nine for series 6.

John
12-05-2018, 07:50 AM

Michael Schur will have played a big part in that. He created Parks and Recreation for NBC, ran The Office for a while, currently does The Good Place for them, and is in the process of developing a new sitcom for them. Assuming they air both the new thing and 99 on a Thursday, where they've always put their comedy output, three of the four shows will have been created by him, with the fourth created by someone he brought to the channel on The Office.

Sir Andy Mahowry
12-05-2018, 11:09 AM

Thank fuck.

ItalAussie
12-05-2018, 12:54 PM
I am incredibly relieved about Brooklyn Nine Nine continuing. While this season would have been a decent finale, there's been no dropoff in quality whatsoever at this point.

Part of me is surprised it lasted on Fox as long as it did.

Kikó
12-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Give Tabula Rosa a go on all4. Belgian thriller noir.

Panda Bear
12-05-2018, 08:28 PM
I am incredibly relieved about Brooklyn Nine Nine continuing. While this season would have been a decent finale, there's been no dropoff in quality whatsoever at this point.

Part of me is surprised it lasted on Fox as long as it did.Pretty sure there was a drop in quality after the first season and a bit once they stopped giving Boyle arcs.

igor_balis
12-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Divs on new Millionaire isn't necessarily because people are more thick, it's because tv producers and commissioners are the kind of lowest common denominator chasing, patronizing wankers who tend to deliberately pick thick people because they think people knowing stuff on quiz shows will alienate viewers. This is based on a lot stuff, but specifically two things:

1. My mate got approached by a bloke on the street in Bristol when he was a uni, who was looking for contestants for a new BBC quiz show. He went to the audition and was told afterwards that he was too intelligent for the "demographic we're going for".

2. I'm a mediocre pub-quizzer at best. More often than not me and my mates will finish sorta lower midtable in just random pub quizzes in Rugby. Generally we beat the spacky 18 year olds who go home during the interval out of embarrassment at being so shit and the weirdo at the bar doing it on his own, and get done by the rest of them. We all watch Pointless pretty regularly and I'm pretty sure any 2 of us picked at random would get to the jackpot round about 80% of the time. Any half-decent pub quizzer would win the jackpot more times than not. Yet the actual contestants are thick as fuck, and I reckon the proportion of anoraky blokes that actually get let onto the show is about 10* smaller than the proportion of them watching it.

I know it would be a bit shit if they had Kevin Ashman and his mates on every episode, but the extent to which they vet applicants to avoid anyone bright getting on there is so blatant. It isn't even that they're just trying to get more charismatic people on there and avoid the freaks, they let plenty of autist freakazoid trainspotters on there, but only the ones who seem barely literate.

Boydy
12-05-2018, 09:27 PM
I think I applied for The Chase years ago, or I at least had a look at the application form. It had a whole load of personality bollocks questions on it. All you do is tell Bradley what you do for a living and your hobbies and then answer some questions ffs. It's not Big Brother.

Magic
12-05-2018, 09:31 PM
I think I applied for The Chase years ago, or I at least had a look at the application form. It had a whole load of personality bollocks questions on it. All you do is tell Bradley what you do for a living and your hobbies and then answer some questions ffs. It's not Big Brother.

I can't imagine why you didn't get selected.

Sir Andy Mahowry
12-05-2018, 09:32 PM
https://www.itv.com/comps/files/20180322/20180322171936.pdf

How would you/your friends describe you in five words? Ugh.

Boydy
12-05-2018, 09:38 PM
I can't imagine why you didn't get selected.

Because I'd leave the chaser for dust, obvs.

wullie
12-05-2018, 09:47 PM
The last Millionaire was ace. Jeremy Clarkson told the contestant that he shouldn't have wasted the host lifeline earlier because he knew this one, the contestant made his guess and Clarkson told him that he didn't have to even look at the screen because he knows he's right, just as the actual right answer flashed green and he lost. If you looked closely you could actually pinpoint the exact moment his heart broke in two.

Bob Sacamano
13-05-2018, 12:41 PM
I'm angry I sat through all 8 episodes of Safe.

Boydy
13-05-2018, 10:13 PM
Did anyone watch The City and The City?

Magic
14-05-2018, 07:05 AM
I watched The City but not The City.

randomlegend
14-05-2018, 09:00 AM
I did the opposite.

SvN
14-05-2018, 02:26 PM
I finally got around to watching Wild Wild Country this weekend. I really enjoyed it, but felt like it skimmed over some of the details a bit for my liking. Sheela was a real piece of work though, a real psychopath. Rajneesh showed himself to be total fraud in the end too when he started seething about her leaving.

John
14-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Netflix have a new thing out about 'the pizzabomber', the first episode of which is Making a Murderer good. It's called Evil Genius, and it's four episodes.

Kikó
14-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Nice. I'll give that a go soon.

Marching through Tabula Rosa which is good shit. Suitably creepy with some great characters including the pyromaniac and a Michael Jackson mental.

SvN
14-05-2018, 02:41 PM
I listened to the Casefile about that the other day, gonna give that a look.

Sir Andy Mahowry
14-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Netflix have a new thing out about 'the pizzabomber', the first episode of which is Making a Murderer good. It's called Evil Genius, and it's four episodes.

I saw that on my recommended list the other day, only watched the trailer but I'm excited to get into it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
14-05-2018, 02:57 PM
I finally got around to watching Wild Wild Country this weekend. I really enjoyed it, but felt like it skimmed over some of the details a bit for my liking. Sheela was a real piece of work though, a real psychopath. Rajneesh showed himself to be total fraud in the end too when he started seething about her leaving.

I really wished they had gone into depth about the money.

Browning
15-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Finished Evil Genius over 2 nights. It was great. There was a point in Episode 3 when I thought "how the hell is there still a whole episode to go?" but the last one didn't disappoint. It probably helped that I didn't remember much about the case, but I really enjoyed it.

Bernanke
16-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Is Barry great?

John
16-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Is Barry great?

Yes.

Bernanke
16-05-2018, 09:37 PM
2 episodes in.

The Chechens are amazing. Glenn Fleshler is a personal favourite.

John
16-05-2018, 09:42 PM
NoHo Hank is delightful.

Magic
20-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Lol my kid drew herself at school and swapped a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg. I asked her why and she said 'Mr McGreg'. I was so proud.

Edit: apart from the fact she was dark brown.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
20-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Maybe you're not such a bad parent after all. :thbup:

Magic
20-05-2018, 09:00 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/2q8btc8.jpg

randomlegend
20-05-2018, 09:24 PM
I think your wife might have been cheating earlier than kickboxer nudes man.

Magic
20-05-2018, 09:25 PM
She isn't black IRL.

phonics
20-05-2018, 09:44 PM
A kid doing deeper cut Simpsons references than I make makes me feel better about the future generation even if it is Magics seed.

John
22-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Finished Barry. Fuck me. :|

Alex
22-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Elias is a great character. They also get the balance of bringing him back without over-exposing him bang on. One of the best things about the show is all the big-bads have agency, it makes them so much more believable even when the plots are absolute farce (for example, the plot that revolves around a drug dealer laundering tens of millions of dollars using gold farmers on an MMO that looks incredibly similar to Runescape)

I would agree with all of that. Some of the plot lines are completely ridiculous (the one with the fucking husband and wife who have hired separate assassins to kill each other springs to mind :D / :facepalm:) but they manage to still tie it all together very well.

I'm into season two now, my favourite development of which so far is definitely the addition of the dog. :cool:

One thing I've noticed about it is the sheer volume of notable guest stars it seems to attract. Although obviously there's a lot of scope for that, due to the "case of the week" format. There are a lot of well known faces who pop up on it though. Casting is definitely one of it's strong points.

igor_balis
22-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Right lads, since six feet under, the sopranos, the wire and breaking bad I've not really watched any of the really good "prestige" tv dramas, and I wanna fill my time with another one. Any suggestions?

John
22-05-2018, 09:38 PM
The Leftovers.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-05-2018, 09:55 PM
The Wire and Breaking Bad > *

Reg
22-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Right lads, since six feet under, the sopranos, the wire and breaking bad I've not really watched any of the really good "prestige" tv dramas, and I wanna fill my time with another one. Any suggestions?
The West Wing.

Alex
22-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Mad Men, perhaps?

Limoutsonik
22-05-2018, 10:26 PM
Billions.

phonics
23-05-2018, 08:12 AM
I would agree with all of that. Some of the plot lines are completely ridiculous (the one with the fucking husband and wife who have hired separate assassins to kill each other springs to mind :D / :facepalm:) but they manage to still tie it all together very well.

That's positively grounded compared to what it becomes :D

SvN
23-05-2018, 08:20 AM
Mad Men is brilliant, I'd give that a go next.

phonics
23-05-2018, 08:25 AM
I can't watch Mad Men ever since I stopped smoking inside.

Disco
23-05-2018, 08:57 AM
The West Wing.

This is the correct answer.

The Merse
23-05-2018, 09:11 AM
For the first term, yes. Gets a bit shit after that (can’t remember where in the seasons precisely).

Sorkin’s work on The Newsroom was absolute belter for me. Wordy and a overly played at times per The West Wing, but brilliant in places.

+1 for The Wire as a priority though.

Boydy
23-05-2018, 09:26 AM
I liked The West Wing when I watched about ten years ago (fucking hell) but I don't think I'd like it that much now. It's probably a bit too centrist dad for my liking these days.

phonics
23-05-2018, 09:47 AM
The Newsroom is awful and genuinely has some of the worst gender politics I've ever seen. Hyper competent women who got to the top of their respective fields but repeatedly throw their careers under the bus because they fall to pieces when there's a boy they like.

The West Wings very dated now. For example the one where he quotes Bible verses at the radio host that doesn't like gay people and everyone goes "Jolly well done, you really bested her in a game of verbal fencing" instead of everyone going, "Who gives a fuck? Gay people are still bad"

Boydy
23-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Disregard that, phonics, it's liberal bullshit.

Kikó
23-05-2018, 10:00 AM
I finished West Wing recently and it still works.

Disco
23-05-2018, 10:18 AM
The Newsroom is terrible, so far up its own arse.

John
23-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Yep, The Newsroom had two good sequences in its pilot and was complete bobbins from then on.

The West Wing was brilliant up until halfway through the season after which Sorkin left, four I think, then it quickly went downhill. I found much of season six pretty unwatchable.

SvN
23-05-2018, 10:26 AM
I enjoyed the first season of The Newsroom, but it was awful by the finale.

Disco
23-05-2018, 11:31 AM
West Wing has a lull for about a series and a half but it picks back up towards the end.

Anyway, it's worth it for Josh and his massive suits.

randomlegend
23-05-2018, 12:38 PM
I've started watching The Blacklist recently. It's definitely flawed, but the whole "genius but messed up central character" trope always hooks me so I'm really enjoying it overall.

wullie
23-05-2018, 03:58 PM
I liked the Newsroom in a trashy way, but it was an attempt at a noble message about the news delivered exclusively by a cast of arseholes.

Giggles
23-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Billions.

This for me too. I've never seen any of the others mentioned and probably never will.

Sir Andy Mahowry
24-05-2018, 08:52 PM
Tim Key is painfully unfunny.

The joke in the prize task this week and then the art challenge :face:

Browning
24-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Bit harsh judging him on this week given he's not been on it in years.

Sir Andy Mahowry
24-05-2018, 09:00 PM
Especially as Key is funny.

Just fuck Tim Vine, he's a cock.

Browning
24-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Tim Vine is brilliant in next week's episode to be fair. I was a bit disappointed by him in the series to that point.

John
24-05-2018, 09:21 PM
I get a sort of uncanny valley reaction to Tim Vine, and I'm usually all aboard for a ruthlessly tortured pun.

randomlegend
24-05-2018, 09:29 PM
He's certainly not as funny overall as a terminal diagnosis, but he has his moments.

John
27-05-2018, 09:27 PM
Watching an episode of Taskmaster from the current series and that is an absolutely terrible selection of contestants. Liza Tarbuck is the only one even vaguely entertaining. I'd rather separately stub every toe on both feet than watch a full series of Tim Vine being tubby in that safari outfit and there are sex criminals whose list of charges make funnier viewing than fucking Russell Howard.

Lewis
27-05-2018, 09:29 PM
This Patrick Melrose thing is pretty good, even if Peppermint Crumplesnatch's already tight-fitting face seems to get tighter in every episode.

randomlegend
27-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Liza Tarbuck is brilliant, Alice Levine is surprisingly decent, Russel Howard and the Asian guy are meh. Tim Vine is the only one who is genuinely terrible.

The first couple of episodes of the series I was worried it wasn't going to be that good but it's picked up.

John
27-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Alice Levine seems to have the correct combination of being amiably inoffensive and looking quite good that she'll be ubiquitous on panel shows for about a year and a half before anyone realises she isn't funny in any way. Much like Lucy Porter a decade or so ago.

Baz
28-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Taskmaster has gone rubbish. Even Greg Davies is struggling to save it. Whoever decided those five would be good together need to go and cast for the American one or something. They’re all turd and Russell Howard is easily the worst. I actually think Tim Vine is probably the best one, and that’s despite him being terribly annoying and not at all funny.

Alex
28-05-2018, 10:59 PM
Ive finished season two of Person of Interest now phonics, it's getting continually better. I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the various shady government agencies and clandestine organisations that seem to be popping up all the time, but it's still ace. Also, this happened in the season finale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4jgW4p55ug

John fucking Reese. :cool: / :D

Also, Shaw. :wub:

My only gripe is that they're all dicks to Fusco, all the time. Give the man a break, he's trying his fucking best!

John
29-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Roseanne has been cancelled after the raging arsehole called an Obama advisor a Muslim ape. What a fucking idiot.

Seriously unexpected for a network to cancel its highest rated show off the back of it though.

Boydy
29-05-2018, 06:56 PM
Ive finished season two of Person of Interest now phonics, it's getting continually better. I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the various shady government agencies and clandestine organisations that seem to be popping up all the time, but it's still ace. Also, this happened in the season finale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4jgW4p55ug

John fucking Reese. :cool: / :D

Also, Shaw. :wub:

My only gripe is that they're all dicks to Fusco, all the time. Give the man a break, he's trying his fucking best!

I'm coming towards the end of season 3 now. It keeps getting better.

Alex
01-06-2018, 12:26 AM
I'm coming towards the end of season 3 now. It keeps getting better.

Yep. I've nine episodes into the third season now, I've pretty much stopped watching everything else in favour of this.

They just killed Carter! What the fuck!

phonics
01-06-2018, 01:11 AM
Yep. I've nine episodes into the third season now, I've pretty much stopped watching everything else in favour of this.

They just killed Carter! What the fuck!

By the time season four rolls around you won't even remember they merked off a major character they fill in the gaps so well. This series was being written during the first Snowden leaks which I think allowed them to lean really hard into the shows ethos and it only goes up from there.

Alex
01-06-2018, 09:26 AM
By the time season four rolls around you won't even remember they merked off a major character they fill in the gaps so well. This series was being written during the first Snowden leaks which I think allowed them to lean really hard into the shows ethos and it only goes up from there.

Yeah, I'm not worried it will ruin the show. It was just a genuine shock, that's all. Although looking back at season three so far I feel like I should have seen it coming really.

One thing I did think was a bit odd was them having Reese and Carter kiss earlier in the episode. I never really picked up on any romantic overtones in their relationship at all up to that point. It felt a bit weird.

phonics
01-06-2018, 09:40 AM
One thing I did think was a bit odd was them having Reese and Carter kiss earlier in the episode. I never really picked up on any romantic overtones in their relationship at all up to that point. It felt a bit weird.

Agreed. Jon should be asexual at all times.

Alex
01-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Agreed. Jon should be asexual at all times.

:D

That is basically how I feel about the matter though.

Also, the intro the following episode, set to "Hurt", is really good. Reese is going to be on the fucking rampage now. :cool:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AD8qvpMw8Vw/hqdefault.jpg

:cool:

Baz
02-06-2018, 06:01 AM
I’m six episodes into the second series of The Handmaid’s Tale and jeez it’s even more grim than the first series. Good though. Anyone else watching it? I think UK are only upto episode two though, whereas US have had seven so far.

Kikó
02-06-2018, 06:33 AM
I can't do arrested anymore. It's really shit.

Kikó
02-06-2018, 07:22 AM
I’m six episodes into the second series of The Handmaid’s Tale and jeez it’s even more grim than the first series. Good though. Anyone else watching it? I think UK are only upto episode two though, whereas US have had seven so far.

On the to-watch list.

Giggles
02-06-2018, 07:24 AM
From what I've heard it's on my never ever watch list.

Kikó
02-06-2018, 07:33 AM
How come? It's really good.

Giggles
02-06-2018, 07:39 AM
I don't doubt the story or anything but it's supposed to be disgusting.

Kikó
02-06-2018, 07:51 AM
It's pretty depressing but wouldn't call it disgusting as such. Give it a go, I'm not sure you'll like it but that's the same with most things. I'm not sure what you like.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Felt that the first half of Arrested Development was a lot better than the season 4 run but still way behind the original seasons (although it's a lot closer with the third). It helps that it was filmed properly too as it's always at it's best when there's full family interaction. Hopefully the second half can build on it when it's released later on.

Also finished the first half of Kimmy today (why are they breaking shit up now on Netflix?) and I felt it was really strong although there was on episode I wasn't too keen on although the writers actually nailed it.

Lewis
03-06-2018, 10:29 PM
We did The Handmaid's Tale for A-level English Literature, so I would go to extreme lengths to avoid watching it.

'This sounds a lot more like actual Mus...'
'RONALD REAGAN AND BILLY GRAHAM AND THE...'

Speaking of sexual malpractice, that Jeremy Thorpe programme was good.

John Arne
07-06-2018, 03:35 AM
With The Americans finishing, I needed some new TV to watch. A quick Google suggested The 100... it sounded right up my street (space/survival/post-event).. however, after 2 episodes it appears to be some shitty teen relationship drama.

Is it worth pursuing?

Boydy
07-06-2018, 07:28 AM
With The Americans finishing, I needed some new TV to watch. A quick Google suggested The 100... it sounded right up my street (space/survival/post-event).. however, after 2 episodes it appears to be some shitty teen relationship drama.

Is it worth pursuing?

Nah, it gets past that and gets pretty good. I'm up to date with it and I love it.

John Arne
07-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Cheers.

John
08-06-2018, 08:03 PM
I've just seen thirty seconds of The Button, and it looks like the most deeply crap thing the BBC has produced in ages. It seems to be a combination of Taskmaster and Gogglebox, with Alex Horne dishing out tasks via a radio thing in the corner of people's living rooms.

I reckon Alex Horne will begin to do my head in within six months if he continues his current trajectory of taking over half of television.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-06-2018, 08:16 PM
Started on The Good Place a few days ago, I didn't expect to like it but I was so wrong.

Michael Schur is seriously talented.

John
08-06-2018, 08:42 PM
Correct. How far in are you?

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-06-2018, 08:53 PM
I'm finished sadly.

Jimmy Floyd
08-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Just watched all the Jeremy Thorpe stuff, both the drama and the doc, it is very good and also mental.

Lewis
08-06-2018, 09:28 PM
I thought Hugh Grant made him too camp.

Jimmy Floyd
08-06-2018, 09:37 PM
The voice was great. Ben Whishaw as Scott was the star though. The real life Scott clearly comes across as the only person involved who isn't a deeply corrupt fucking liar.

phonics
10-06-2018, 11:22 AM
The Andre The Giant documentary is on Sky Atlantic tonight.

Ian
10-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Good catch, I'll be all over that.

Browning
10-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Finally watching The Staircase after Netflix got hold of it and made 3 new episodes. I'm only 3 episodes in so far, but I'm loving it.

Giggles
11-06-2018, 08:20 PM
That was an enjoyable series of Billions. Looking forward to the next one but if it ended there then that would be a good line under it.

niko_cee
11-06-2018, 08:31 PM
How come? It's really good.

It really isn't. It's taking padding things out to new levels. I'm still watching it, but I wish I hadn't bothered in the first place.

Westworld, on the other hand, I'm glad I stumbled into on catch-up.

Pleb
11-06-2018, 09:24 PM
America's Got Talent on Netflix is actually quite good despite some garbage acts on there.

Ian
11-06-2018, 09:42 PM
The Andre doc was really good, Vince's ten minutes of "and here's how a plucky genius won wrestling" aside.

John
11-06-2018, 09:51 PM
The Grenfell Tower thing on BBC tonight was a bit grim. Fuck knows how they justified five minutes of screen time for the woman who just about collapsed when remembering that a formerly red bannister was black after the fire when they had a guy who just had slightly wet eyes when talking about the recovery team sieving the bones of his family out of piles of ash.

Limoutsonik
12-06-2018, 07:26 AM
That was an enjoyable series of Billions. Looking forward to the next one but if it ended there then that would be a good line under it.

Oh boy,shit's gone go down.

Mazuuurk
12-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Finally watching The Staircase after Netflix got hold of it and made 3 new episodes. I'm only 3 episodes in so far, but I'm loving it.

Is it as good as The Jinx?

SvN
12-06-2018, 09:36 AM
The Staircase was great. I'd personally have it above The Jinx, but it's perhaps not as explosive. I'd say The Staircase was my favourite post-Making a Murderer series overall.

Mazuuurk
12-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Nice, I'll give that a look at some point :thbup:

And speaking of which, I've also heard The Keepers is good, anyone seen that?

SvN
12-06-2018, 01:00 PM
It was alright. Worth a watch, but not really in the same league as the TOP documentary series.

Mazuuurk
12-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Alright cheers.

What can really ruin these documentaries to me is a Brawly american voice narrating. Is it a murder or a baseball game, mate?

SvN
12-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Have you watched the PizzaBomber one yet? I thought that was great, even though I already knew the story.

Mazuuurk
12-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Nope, but will add that to the list of stuff to watch :thbup:

Alan Shearer The 2nd
12-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Have you watched the PizzaBomber one yet? I thought that was great, even though I already knew the story.

It was good but I think I expected better from what I'd heard.

I started watching November 13: Attack on Paris (Netflix) the other night. It's 3 episodes and based off the first one it's compelling viewing, albeit very grim. I haven't seen a documentary on the attacks that's anywhere near as detailed.

Boydy
12-06-2018, 06:22 PM
I thought Evil Genius was boring.

John
22-06-2018, 02:57 PM
The Terror has been renewed for a second season. It'll run as an anthology though, with the second season apparently focusing on a POW camp during WW2.

It was such a singular program that I think I'd prefer it just exist as a 'one and done', but if there must be more a POW camp isn't a bad setting.

SvN
22-06-2018, 03:13 PM
That's the last show I expected to get a second season. Is it still called The Terror?

John
22-06-2018, 03:17 PM
I'd assume so, but it seems odd since the show itself is named after the boat. Maybe they'll stick a subtitle on it. 'The Terror: MIA' or something.

What did you think of The Terror as a whole? It's the best thing I've watched this year.

SvN
22-06-2018, 03:19 PM
I loved it, one of my favourite shows of the year too. Felt totally unique in its atmosphere and approach to storytelling.

Baz
22-06-2018, 06:06 PM
It really isn't. It's taking padding things out to new levels. I'm still watching it, but I wish I hadn't bothered in the first place.
I’m quite enjoying season two [of The Handmaids Tale] and am looking forward to what happens in the two final episodes.

Queenslander
25-06-2018, 01:15 AM
Im loving all the Cuba stuff on Netflix at the moment. Cuba and the Camera man had me feeling real sadness for the first time in years.

John
01-07-2018, 11:05 PM
Wyatt Cenac's Problem Areas has quite a lot of nonsense in the margins, but the central discussion of how to improve policing in America is very engaging and interesting.

They deal with the shooting of Philando Castile in the first episode and showed some footage from inside the police car afterwards that I'd never seen. His girlfriend is understandably furious and shouting at the officers, while her little girl, four years old, cries 'momma please stop shouting I don't want you to get shooted.' She then says 'I wish this city was safer.' Four fucking years old and these are her concerns. Fucking hell.

Boydy
01-07-2018, 11:17 PM
I only know of him from People of Earth which I just looked up and it's been cancelled. Shame, I really liked it.

Sounds interesting though.

John
01-07-2018, 11:32 PM
People of Earth was great fun. There's another thing on the same channel as it with many of the same producers and a similarly off kilter tone called Search Party you might enjoy. It's best enjoyed knowing as little as possible going in, but suffice to say it features Alia Shawkat being great and what was the best musical gag I'd seen on TV in years until Jake lead a police lineup in a Backstreet Boys karaoke.

Problem Areas is very interesting, but it's basically two shows in one, only one of which is any good. One show is a silly comedy that skirts actual issues, like comparing Elon Musk trying to go into space to someone who fucks off without paying their share of the bill. That show is pure shit. The other show is a serious discussion about a serious issue chaired by someone just naturally funny enough to bring an air of levity to it without undermining anything being said. That show is terrific.

Although one of the frequently featured 'activists' is fucking insufferable.

Boydy
02-07-2018, 12:29 AM
The police line up Backstreet Boys is so great. I remembered that the other day because I heard the song and couldn't stop laughing to myself.

I'll give Search Party a go, cheers.

Problem Areas sounds a bit like that time Stephen Nolan's BBC NI show had a pretty raw debate with the usual angry politicians here about the legacy of the Troubles or something along those lines then had Jason Manford and Phil Jupitus come on at the end for a bit of light entertainment. It didn't work.

John
02-07-2018, 12:48 AM
It sort of doesn't work, but the really interesting parts of the policing discussion are more than worth sitting through five minutes of tedious chatter about how cows and humans do the same turds for.

The thing is, the show itself seems to know that, and splits almost exactly in two, with all the tedious shit first and all the interesting stuff after. There's ten episodes in the first run, I'm four in, and it would be a much better, although probably less saleable proposition if they'd made half the episodes and only included the second half of each current ep.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-07-2018, 12:35 AM
Good few episodes into season 2 of Luke Cage and I think they've done a great job. My main gripe though is the high amount of Jamaican slang but I'm using the subtitles and Netflix are translating it (why the fuck does 'pickney' mean child).

Other than Luke, I think Shades might be my favourite character in the series he's class.

One main gripe is that I'm not really feeling Bushmaster. I think he's a bit too similar to Diamondback (why both snakes mate?) in that he's so focused on revenge (albeit against Mariah Stokes, not Luke) and he seems to be at the same sort of power level as him albeit with magic rather than a fancy suit.

Also liked the way they brought Coleen into it and how they went about the whole arm thing with Misty.

Alex
08-07-2018, 09:12 PM
I really like Bushmaster, he's cool as fuck. Snappy dresser as well. :cool:

I'm just watching the final episode now. I think it's been really good, better than the first season I would say. One thing that continually bugs me though, why is it that every new group of bad guys that shows up starts unloading ammunition in his direction? He's fucking BULLETPROOF gentlemen. I think we've established this beyond all reasonable doubt by this point.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-07-2018, 09:26 PM
I think I've got 2 episodes now and I like Bushmaster a lot more, they did a really good job in the episode with his backstory.

I also liked his exchange with Luke at the morgue after Mariah went full on mental.

Definetly agree that it's better than the first.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Oh and:

Reg Cathey being cast as Luke's dad was such a brilliant bit of casting.

John
08-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Norman. :(

John
09-07-2018, 03:09 PM
The lineup for the next series of Taskmaster has been announced.

James Acaster, Jessica Knappett, Rhod Gilbert, Phil Wang, and Kerry Godliman.

Sir Andy Mahowry
09-07-2018, 03:14 PM
The line up is so superior to the last season.

Acaster could well be the best contestant ever.

wullie
09-07-2018, 03:28 PM
I enjoyed the series just gone but I think it would have benefited from fewer episodes.

-james-
09-07-2018, 04:01 PM
James Acaster is omnipresent. Kerry Godliman should be good too.

randomlegend
09-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Nobody will ever top Bob Mortimer.

Disco
09-07-2018, 04:41 PM
Nobody will ever top Bob Mortimer.

This is the truth, that fucking song task was incredible.

I've heard of exactly one of that new line up.

randomlegend
09-07-2018, 04:47 PM
The piss graph was probably my favourite thing on the show.

Sir Andy Mahowry
09-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Bob is probably the funniest man ever.

Sir Andy Mahowry
09-07-2018, 05:01 PM
I enjoyed the series just gone but I think it would have benefited from fewer episodes.

I hate Vine so fucking much and to a lesser extent Howard though.

I think Tim Vine did one good thing in the whole series and it was in one of the last 2 episodes.

nsd
09-07-2018, 05:06 PM
I've only recently started watching Taskmaster and I'm on the Bob Mortimer series now. Is there any kind of champion of champions series? There should be if not.

Disco
09-07-2018, 05:09 PM
They're the christmas specials from last year.

Disco
09-07-2018, 05:11 PM
I hate Vine so fucking much and to a lesser extent Howard though.

I think Tim Vine did one good thing in the whole series and it was in one of the last 2 episodes.

Vine was less good than I expected him to be. Howard was awful, the other guy was inoffensive but pretty bland. The two women were good, Tarbuck especially.

Sir Andy Mahowry
09-07-2018, 05:13 PM
Tarbuck was easily the best.

wullie
09-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Liza Tarbuck had it sewn up from the time they announced the contestants really, I thought Tim Vine started poorly but ended up second best overall. The rest were much of a muchness with Asim Choudhry among the worst I've seen on the entire run although one of the nicest with it, which is more important in the end.

Baz
09-07-2018, 08:13 PM
I'm struggling to bother finishing off the latest series.

I met Russell Howard's auntie the other week and even she didn't like him. Apparently he's a millionaire though.

John
09-07-2018, 08:23 PM
He made about ten series of his own show on the BBC. Of course he's a millionaire.

wullie
09-07-2018, 08:27 PM
He must have spent a large chunk of it on dental work going by Taskmaster.

Sir Andy Mahowry
09-07-2018, 10:01 PM
Baz, the sky is blue too.

Alex
16-07-2018, 11:07 PM
phonics

I've almost finished Person of Interest now. Three episodes left.

Definitely in the end game now.

Elias got very abruptly taken out with a gun shot to the head. I really wanted him to make it the distance. :(

Fucking Root is dead! :(

But, on the plus side, Finch has had enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAABxd_KLAQ

Baz
17-07-2018, 06:08 AM
Watched two more episodes of Taskmaster last night. I actually thought Tim Vine was the best in both. :eek: Him losing the hook was great.

phonics
17-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Well that's me watching Person of Interest all over again.

Browning
17-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Watched two more episodes of Taskmaster last night. I actually thought Tim Vine was the best in both. :eek: Him losing the hook was great.

Agreed. I'm a fan of his anyway and admittedly he was shit for the first few weeks, but he definitely improved and was the highlight of the series for me by the end (Liza was obviously better at the tasks, but she's just not funny).

Alex
18-07-2018, 12:15 AM
Well that's me watching Person of Interest all over again.

It's over. That was fantastic. I mean, the whole show was, but that finale in particular was pretty special.

Mr. Reese. :(

randomlegend
18-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Started watching Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps on iPlayer because I was super bored and spotted they have it all up at the moment.

9 seasons :cab:

phonics
18-07-2018, 08:46 AM
It's over. That was fantastic. I mean, the whole show was, but that finale in particular was pretty special.

Mr. Reese. :(

I think all the characters outside of Sameen (written out the show for badmouthing people IIRC) got well deserved endings.

Alex
18-07-2018, 05:53 PM
I think all the characters outside of Sameen (written out the show for badmouthing people IIRC) got well deserved endings.

Well, it was pretty much implied she would be the new Reese at the end, wasn't it? So I quite liked that. I like to think her and Fusco will carry on fighting the good fight. I didn't know she was effectively written out of it. I did think the amount of time they had her spend captured by Samaritan was weird though, so I guess that explains it.

And regarding Reese, don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great end. It was just touch to watch. You build him up over the entire run as this effectively invincible character (I think he's only ever in real trouble at one time in the entire show that I can think of, when he gets shot at that cabin in the middle of nowhere and hallucinates Carter) so it was still a shock. I suppose one of either him or Finch always had to go to to make it a big ending. You couldn't have them both living happily every after. There is no happily ever after for John anyway, the job was the only reason he wasn't dead already.

I'm not sure whether they intended it or not, but I thought it was kind of a nice, tongue-in-cheek touch that they decided to kill him with a direct missile strike, given that the fact he inexplicably managed to just casually run away from one in China (whilst nursing a gunshot wound to the stomach) was always one of the more hard to believe aspects of his backstory to me. :D

I thought the switch between killing Root off in a fairly low key manner and then having her voice (and, at the very end, embody) the machine for the last couple of episodes was a really clever move too. It added a lot, especially towards the end where "she" is walking around and interacting with John and Harold.

Kikó
18-07-2018, 10:04 PM
I'm on the last episode of dark. Pretty good and they make the timeline work pretty well.

John
20-07-2018, 12:09 AM
The Albanian episode of Romesh Ranganathan's travel show is one of the most uncomfortable things I've watched in a long time. His host seems to be a sort of Albanian Holly Willoughby, right down to her affection for a nice pastel knit and a morning variety show with a hectic cooking segment, but she just spends the whole time seeking his approval for things that are obviously deeply shit and telling him she doesn't get his jokes or understand how he can be a comedian when he's so subdued.

There is one little segment where she takes him to a restaurant in the middle of nowhere with waiters on horseback, and it's one of the most utterly surreal things you will ever see.

Giggles
21-07-2018, 04:43 AM

https://youtu.be/g4uWYcv5vQQ

Jimmy Floyd
21-07-2018, 08:57 AM
The Albanian episode of Romesh Ranganathan's travel show is one of the most uncomfortable things I've watched in a long time. His host seems to be a sort of Albanian Holly Willoughby, right down to her affection for a nice pastel knit and a morning variety show with a hectic cooking segment, but she just spends the whole time seeking his approval for things that are obviously deeply shit and telling him she doesn't get his jokes or understand how he can be a comedian when he's so subdued.

There is one little segment where she takes him to a restaurant in the middle of nowhere with waiters on horseback, and it's one of the most utterly surreal things you will ever see.

I enjoyed the first one of those in Haiti, albeit Romesh is fast approaching that point where he delights BBC bosses so much that he becomes ubiquitous.

John
21-07-2018, 04:52 PM
The second one, in Ethiopia, is probably the best of the three.

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-07-2018, 11:31 PM
Virgin have dropped all the UKTV channels including Dave.

This had better be sorted out by the time the new Taskmaster rolls around.

Giggles
22-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Is there a full list of channels? Do they include the Discoveries?

Disco
22-07-2018, 01:13 PM

You can watch them all for free on their website so I wouldn't worry too much.

-james-
22-07-2018, 01:21 PM
I'm not in town, but they're shooting Taskmaster this week (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/taskmaster-series-7-tickets-47470253807) (near Uxbridge). It's free if you can be arsed to queue for it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-07-2018, 01:43 PM
You can watch them all for free on their website so I wouldn't worry too much.
But I'm a freak who NEEDS HD. They don't offer that.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Is there a full list of channels? Do they include the Discoveries?

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/tvupdate.html

It's just the UKTV lineup. Dave is the only decent one.

I do appreciate the introduction of History HD though.

Disco
22-07-2018, 01:50 PM
But I'm a freak who NEEDS HD. They don't offer that.

Oh grow up.

Giggles
22-07-2018, 02:17 PM
I liked Good Food. That said, as soon as I am somewhere I can put a dish up then Virgin can fuck right off anyway. Worst TV service I've ever had.

Yevrah
23-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Got into Taskmaster, caned the entire first series last night.

-james-
23-07-2018, 06:11 PM
I'm going to go through it all again at some point, but from memory I'm pretty sure season 2 featured the best line-up. Downhill from there.

-james-
23-07-2018, 06:17 PM
I'm wondering if it's a diminishing returns thing, or if season 6 was just really shit. I remember gutting myself for almost entire episodes on the early ones but the recent stuff only gets a chuckle or two per hour.

John
23-07-2018, 07:12 PM
Season six had comfortably the worst lineup. Every one of them would be the weakest guest in any series apart from four. Aisling Bea is the single worst contestant they've had, but Bob Mortimer is good enough to make up for that.

The next line up looks much better so if it's poor as well that'll tell you it's diminishing returns.

Jimmy Floyd
23-07-2018, 07:43 PM
It's impressive how they've managed never to deviate from the three men two women one ethnic formula, except back in the unenlightened days of series 1-3 when one of the women was cast aside each time for an extra man.

Jimmy Floyd
30-07-2018, 05:49 PM
I've just finished House of Cards (the proper one, not the elongated molester-heavy septic spoof) and it really was fucking good.

igor_balis
31-07-2018, 04:21 PM
The channel four thing where that portrait artist followed the Albion around last season and interviewed pulis, some players, father and son wba fans and went to games and then did some pretty pictures was a very interesting watch but might have limited appeal to non-baggies.

Alex
31-07-2018, 04:56 PM
I've watched nearly all of Brooklyn Nine Nine over the last month or so. I really like it. I've exhausted the supply available on Netflix though (the first four seasons), so I'll have to download season five or something.

Holt is the best character by an absolute country mile, but the whole cast is generally really good. The only real downside is Gina, who I just think is one of the most infuriatingly annoying characters on television. They've just steadily dialled up how fucking obnoxious she is as it's gone on too, which obviously hasn't helped. Any episode where she has any sort of central role suffers noticeably, in my opinion.

I was really disappointed that she wasn't dead when the bus hit her. I knew it would be too good to be true, but a small part of me thought that maybe the actress had suddenly quit the show or something.

Alex
31-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Oh, and I've also been absolutely smashing through this thing called Animal Kingdom. The best way I can describe it is "Point Break meets Sons of Anarchy", which I'm aware sounds absolutely fucking ridiculous. But I don't care. I love it. It's loosely based on the Australian film of the same name. Which apparently was loosely based on real life events, although to what extent that's true I have no idea. But the premise is it's about a band of delinquent brothers with a domineering mother who go around committing heists and whatnot.

bruhnaldo
31-07-2018, 05:22 PM
the Animal Kingdom movie was pretty good but I haven't seen the show at all/

Boydy
31-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Finished Person of Interest last week. It was so good.

Been watching Scream on Netflix this week and it's pretty good too.

phonics
31-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Honestly wish we were still young enough to do a hype thread about every bit of it. Any time you mention it I think of a completely different and inconsequential moment that would be considered highlights on the entire run in most shows. PoI and Justified are technically the same 'baddy of the run/cop show' done in such different styles but both done to absolute perfection. I've never done a full runthrough of PoI (it's too intense) but I must have watched Justified a good 3 times over.

I've heard good things of Animal Kingdom but nothing on TNT can actually be good can it?

-james-
31-07-2018, 09:48 PM
GLOW season two is excellent. Writing and acting both superb. Season one was good, but something more has clicked. Even if it was shit you'd still have Betty Gilpin in a leotard.

Sir Andy Mahowry
31-07-2018, 10:28 PM
GLOW season two is excellent. Writing and acting both superb. Season one was good, but something more has clicked. Even if it was shit you'd still have Betty Gilpin in a leotard.

I thought it was brilliant, every episode nailed it for me.

Genuinely had tears in my eyes when they let Zoya use a zipline and win the crown.

I also liked how they captured the times with the whole AIDS/homophobia thing too.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
01-08-2018, 10:45 AM
I've just finished House of Cards (the proper one, not the elongated molester-heavy septic spoof) and it really was fucking good.

Ian Richardson is brilliant.

Are you going to watch the two following seasons?

They're weaker, 3 especially, but still worth a watch.

Giggles
04-08-2018, 11:56 PM
:drool:

https://deadline.com/2018/08/patrick-stewart-star-new-star-trek-series-jean-luc-picard-cbs-all-access-1202440156/

Kikó
05-08-2018, 08:10 AM
That is quite excellent news.

Yevrah
05-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Done the first 5 series of Taskmaster now. The 5th might have been my favourite so far. With Baby Alex and Nish and Mark's song being the highlights.

Giggles
05-08-2018, 09:41 PM
That is quite excellent news.

This will be the latest ever in the timeline too won't it?

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Done the first 5 series of Taskmaster now. The 5th might have been my favourite so far. With Baby Alex and Nish and Mark's song being the highlights.
5th is by far the best.

Bob, Mark, Nish and Sally are great.

Browning
05-08-2018, 10:46 PM
There's a top 10 Taskmaster moments thing going on on Dave over the next week (it started last Monday) where they are showing the episodes featuring the moments that were voted for. Somehow, "Rosalind's a fucking nightmare" was number 6, and given I doubt they're going to show the same episode again for Mark and Nish's song, that seemingly didn't make the cut, where as I would have had it at number 1. No idea what will win that now.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Mark's prize task that he was cheated out of desveres a mention.

It will probably be something that Bob did, such as the piss graph.

Browning
05-08-2018, 11:05 PM
You're right, the trousers prize task deserves to be up there. I completely forgot he also bought an entire bathroom for one of the prize tasks, he really smashed all of those.

Piss graph was from the same episode as the songs though, so unless they're allowing multiple moments from the same episodes, it won't be that either.

John
05-08-2018, 11:26 PM
The rest of the task was bollocks, but the reveal of Hugh Dennis' drawing of that woman in the caravan is right up there in terms of moments.

Katherine Ryan's interpretation of the 'make a mess' task in the champion's edition was very good too

Giggles
05-08-2018, 11:29 PM
I watched a few random episodes until Ryan appeared. Nothing would make something be turned off quicker.

John
05-08-2018, 11:41 PM
Katherine Ryan is fine. As female comedians go she's probably one of the better ones. Susan Calman, however, Jesus Christ. I'd rather be waterboarded.

Mazuuurk
06-08-2018, 01:38 PM
OK someone explain Person of Interest to me. The premise of it sounds stupid as shit but I'm guessing there's more to it?

Looking at IMDB it cites Fringe as a similar show (or whatever you know) and that's enough to have my interest piqued.

Kikó
06-08-2018, 09:33 PM
This will be the latest ever in the timeline too won't it?

Has to be. Everything else is usually a retrospective into Kirk's era.

Giggles
06-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Has to be. Everything else is usually a retrospective into Kirk's era.

Was it ever done that he became an admiral in a one off jump forward or anything? I think Janeway was referred to as one in Nemesis but I don't remember much about the Picard story after.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Started the new season of Orange is the new Black today. They do such a good job at making Piper look even worse with each season.

Such a colossal twat and easily the worst character ever.

Limoutsonik
08-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Started the new season of Orange is the new Black today. They do such a good job at making Piper look even worse with each season.

Such a colossal twat and easily the worst character ever.

Oh boy,one of the characters might actually cause you to punch your screen.She is so unbearable annoying that you actually want to switch off the episode.So grating to see her appear.

In another news,Better Call Saul is back with quite possibly the worst line spoken throughout the whole BB-Better Call Saul lore.

wullie
08-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Started 'Unsolved:The Murders of Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G' and it's fun but it feels a little like a Channel 5 version of American Crime Story at the same time. Jimmi Simpson's great but I have trouble seeing him in anything and not seeing Liam McPoyle.

Boydy
08-08-2018, 11:54 AM
Not seen that but I have the same problem with anything he turns up in. Once a McPoyle, always a McPoyle

wullie
09-08-2018, 08:55 AM
In another news,Better Call Saul is back with quite possibly the worst line spoken throughout the whole BB-Better Call Saul lore.

What was it? I watched it yesterday with an ear out for something but it might have passed me by

Limoutsonik
09-08-2018, 10:02 AM
What was it? I watched it yesterday with an ear out for something but it might have passed me by

"Well i guess that your cross to bear". You could see his demeanor shift immediately since he thought switching the number and sabotaging the insurance case made Chuck off himself. Now that Howard apparently is at fault,he is scot free.

Sir Andy Mahowry
12-08-2018, 06:14 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45154707

And they're back.

John
13-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Watching that Real Narcos thing Channel 4 have been doing and it's slightly bonkers. The Mexican police, on their way to raid somewhere, have had to stop and individually pay their own way through a toll road. No wonder they never catch any bugger.

Sir Andy Mahowry
13-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Great British Menu back :drool:

igor_balis
13-08-2018, 10:28 PM
God I love BCS.

Yevrah
13-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Assume I'm stating nothing new here, but a noticeable drop in quality for Taskmaster series 6, might be the weakest of the lot.

John
13-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Nope, that's been pretty unanimously agreed on here. Comfortably the weakest lineup.

Sir Andy Mahowry
13-08-2018, 10:52 PM
Assume I'm stating nothing new here, but a noticeable drop in quality for Taskmaster series 6, might be the weakest of the lot.

Luckily though, series 7 has a solid line up.

Magic
16-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Started watching Deadwood. Not sure what to make of it so far.

Bob Sacamano
20-08-2018, 04:51 PM
I really don't know if I'm excited for the return of Gomorra.

I still haven't got over the death of Ciro months on :(

igor_balis
20-08-2018, 06:01 PM
Started watching Deadwood. Not sure what to make of it so far.

It was the first poncy, critically acclaimed "prestige" tv drama I didn't really enjoy. As a pretentious 16 year old discovering The Wire and the Sopranos blew my tiny mind, but I thought Deadwood was a bit shit. I find it slow as fuck and boring, and I fucking love slow and boring tv shows.

igor_balis
20-08-2018, 06:04 PM
Drunk and bored this weekend I watched the last two seasons of Suits after getting sick of it a few months ago. Apparently it's meant to have gotten better since Mike and the princess left, but looking at the first 7 seasons as a whole....I dunno. It really declined, but I dunno if it was wasted potential or that the original premise was always going to have a sell-by date. The writers basically ignored Mike's photographic memory in the last few seasons.

Baz
20-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Is Louis still in it? :cool:

phonics
20-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Drunk and bored this weekend I watched the last two seasons of Suits after getting sick of it a few months ago. Apparently it's meant to have gotten better since Mike and the princess left, but looking at the first 7 seasons as a whole....I dunno. It really declined, but I dunno if it was wasted potential or that the original premise was always going to have a sell-by date. The writers basically ignored Mike's photographic memory in the last few seasons.

I stopped watching after Mike went to Jail. Too many plots could have been immediately solved by all party's involved telling the other one what was happening. I can normally avoid getting annoyed at this but when you could avoid your entire law firm falling apart by saying "Louis, you're not being fired" or "Donna, of course I fancy you and your perfect tits." for 2 seasons it gets a bit tedious.

igor_balis
20-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Is Louis still in it? :cool:

Yeah, he's one of the better characters but I do find the "Louis goes mental and starts acting like a cunt for 3 episodes" storyline a bit boring now.

igor_balis
20-08-2018, 07:15 PM
I stopped watching after Mike went to Jail. Too many plots could have been immediately solved by all party's involved telling the other one what was happening. I can normally avoid getting annoyed at this but when you could avoid your entire law firm falling apart by saying "Louis, you're not being fired" or "Donna, of course I fancy you and your perfect tits." for 2 seasons it gets a bit tedious.

Yeah that bit was easily the worst part of the whole run. It improved enough for me to binge without anything else to do,but in hindsight it probably wasn't worth it.

Magic
20-08-2018, 07:29 PM
It was the first poncy, critically acclaimed "prestige" tv drama I didn't really enjoy. As a pretentious 16 year old discovering The Wire and the Sopranos blew my tiny mind, but I thought Deadwood was a bit shit. I find it slow as fuck and boring, and I fucking love slow and boring tv shows.

Post Sopranos.

I remember it being advertised 15 years ago and was always intrigued.

Alex
21-08-2018, 09:09 PM
I really don't know if I'm excited for the return of Gomorra.

I still haven't got over the death of Ciro months on :(

Is it coming back soon?

I'm not really sure it will be the same without him, either.

Disco
22-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Deadwood is great, the first series especially. The rest feels like they either rushed it or thought they'd have more series to flesh it out.

Magic
22-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Deadwood is great, the first series especially. The rest feels like they either rushed it or thought they'd have more series to flesh it out.

I might just watch S1 then similar to what I did with Broadchurch.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
22-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Season 3 of Broadchurch is excellent, give it a go.

I skipped 2 after a couple of episodes and you don't really lose out on anything that's worth caring about.

Disco
22-08-2018, 09:54 PM

If you enjoy the first then watching the rest is definitely worth it but they are undeniably a bit wooly in comparison. A bit like how they fucked about with the last couple of series of Babylon 5 (shit as it was).

phonics
22-08-2018, 10:10 PM
If you enjoy the first then watching the rest is definitely worth it but they are undeniably a bit wooly in comparison. A bit like how they fucked about with the last couple of series of Babylon 5 (shit as it was).

Definitely watch season 2. It's got some of the best scenes in it. It also has the most plot of any of the seasons. 3 is where it fails to deliver on the promise of 2.

If you don't get to season 2 you don't get to the scene of Ian McShane and random chinese man concocting a whole plan using only the word 'Cock Sucker' back and forth to each other because it's the only word he knows.

Mazuuurk
23-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Rewatching Scrubs since it came out on a streaming platform I'm subscribing to here :drool:

Disco
23-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Definitely watch season 2. It's got some of the best scenes in it. It also has the most plot of any of the seasons. 3 is where it fails to deliver on the promise of 2.

If you don't get to season 2 you don't get to the scene of Ian McShane and random chinese man concocting a whole plan using only the word 'Cock Sucker' back and forth to each other because it's the only word he knows.

You do definitely want to see that you're quite right. Which series has the horrible street fight in it? One of the few pieces of tv I cannot rewatch.

Mike
23-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Rewatching Scrubs since it came out on a streaming platform I'm subscribing to here :drool:

I’ve been doing the same! I’m up to season 3.
JD remains one of the least pleasant charecters in anything.

Mazuuurk
23-08-2018, 11:32 AM
He's a classic "compassionate asshole" yeah. He's made a bit less likeable even still by his general feebleness I guess. Anyway - it's what makes the whole series in a way so can't complain really about it.

Pleb
23-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Just downloaded Fear The Walking Dead and Ballers on my Sky box.

Worth it?

Pleb
24-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Taskmaster season 7 5th September :drool: :jayjay:

John
24-08-2018, 07:43 PM
One of the tasks glimpsed on the trailer appears to see the contestant stuck in a well or something. It looks far more like Crystal Maze than is ideal anyway.

Alex
24-08-2018, 07:51 PM
I've been watching Homicide recently. I've just finished "season" two, which only had four episodes for some reason. I'm really liking it. It's all about Frank Pembleton, obviously. What a great character. It's interesting seeing things pop up that would later influence, or just straight up appear in, The Wire.

John
24-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Three Men and Adena is one of the best episodes of anything, but in general I find it very hard to watch now.

Alex
24-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Three Men and Adena is one of the best episodes of anything, but in general I find it very hard to watch now.

That, in particular, has been a highlight so far. Properly riveting stuff. Just excellent acting from all involved. Do you mean you find that episode hard to watch now, or the show in general? It does like very of-it's-time (although the colour palette is noticeably less grainy in season two) but it's not really bothering me much.

I also just watched the one where Pembleton gets the black guy to confess to a crime he didn't commit to make a point, because Giardello doesn't want to investigate the police officers who actually committed the crime, which was similarly brilliant.

Disco
24-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Yaphet Kotto :cool:

mo
26-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Just downloaded Fear The Walking Dead and Ballers on my Sky box.

Worth it?

Took a while to get into FTWD but having finished series 4 now I really got into it.

John
27-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Chortle have a load of interviews about the new series of Taskmaster up. In James Acaster's he mentions that Rhod Gilbert and Greg Davies' friendship was fairly prominent, which I hope is a huge overstatement, because the moments in the first series where he made mention of his friendship with Roisin Connaty were just annoying.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-09-2018, 02:21 PM
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6965098/gogglebox-amy-tapper-new-look-celebs-go-dating/

At least the blonde hair has made her look less like her Dad.

Lewis
01-09-2018, 07:15 PM
I've just finished The Sopranos. It's objectively very, very good (even they could have cut about twenty per cent of it), and I do think the infamous ending works. I don't regret watching it... But I don't know. It's hard to get that invested into it when the main characters are irredeemable cunts. Even Game of Thrones, which is hardly the most sophisticated programme ever, has personal ambiguities in it. Other than appreciating the acting and writing, what is meant to stop you from hoping that Tony Soprano dies? In that respect it leaves you a bit cold.

I don't think he does at the end.

Ian
01-09-2018, 07:19 PM
I think that's why I got quite far through and then just sort of stopped watching. I'd been powering through watching a few episodes a week, then ended up at a point where it was an episode every couple of weeks and then just gave up with, I think, about a season and a half left.

Kikó
01-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Re Tony
He definitely does.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-09-2018, 12:11 PM
Taskmaster back tonight :drool:

Mazuuurk
05-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Isn't that every Maffia-film or Series ever made in a way? Maybe not The Godfather, but at least the "Scorsese archetype": a bunch of cunts are doing fucking well then fuck everything up for themselves and usually ultimately die or end their lives suffering, as they are in fact cunts in the first place.

SvN
05-09-2018, 01:23 PM
The Sopranos is the most re-watchable show I've ever seen. It's brilliant - I've watched it through 5 or 6 times in total, and I only saw it for the first time a few years ago. The dialogue is brilliant, and it's hilarious at times.

FUCKIN' QUEERS *throws chair*