PDA

View Full Version : Do we live in a golden age of television?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

phonics
15-07-2017, 03:36 PM
So Battlestar... I watched the mini series which was very good but the turn at the end made me realize where this could go very quickly.

I don't think 4 seasons of 'You're a cylon, no you're the cylon' will be great. I'm already sick of the relationship between the one in the red dress and the genius.

I'll watch season 1 and decide whether to go from there.

Disco
15-07-2017, 03:49 PM
The first two series are definitely better than the last two.

Alex
15-07-2017, 04:01 PM
The first two series are definitely better than the last two.

Perhaps on the whole (I can't remember the exact timeline of everything now) but, for me, the absolute pinnacle of the entire show was:

The whole "escape from New Caprica" arc. Just really great television.
Which I think was early season three?

Disco
15-07-2017, 04:34 PM
I forget, it's possible the last series has simply coloured my view of the third as well (the boxing episode is in there somewhere and that's great). Phonics you should at some point also watch the feature length thing they did from the Cylon perspective (The Plan?) that's pretty good too.

John
17-07-2017, 11:06 PM
Perhaps on the whole (I can't remember the exact timeline of everything now) but, for me, the absolute pinnacle of the entire show was:

The whole "escape from New Caprica" arc. Just really great television.
Which I think was early season three?

Yeah, that run of episodes has some of the most impressive television I've seen.

The New Caprica stuff was right on the verge of becoming a trite and obvious Iraq war allegory, then they had the 'good guys' embark on suicide bombing missions and write the deaths of their own people off as collateral damage and even though that made it an even more obvious allegory, it was also daring and unexpected enough to shift the whole thing onto another level.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a character presented as heroic do anything as utterly horrible as Starbuck ordering Gaeta to beg for his life.

And the Galactica jumping into the atmosphere to spit out its fighters before jumping back out is just a fucking terrific sequence. They were supposedly operating on a fairly limited CGI budget, so there was some absolute wizardry going on in scenes like that and the blowing up of the resurrection ship.

John
17-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Has anyone bothered to watch the ITV drama 'Fearless'?

It had a terrific cast and what appeared to be a fairly low rent and intriguing murder mystery. Then it turned out it was trying to address fifty thousand real world scandals at once, with an underage sex ring being linked to the onset of the Iraq war by a lawyer with links to ISIS who's under surveillance by the Americans using extra legal means.

What a load of shit it turned out to be. How that got made I do not fucking know.

phonics
19-07-2017, 10:00 AM
I'm most of the way through Battlestar now (just before the two parter) specifically...

A cylon turned up and told the President that Adama is one too

And I don't think I'm going to make it past this season. I thought modern TV shows had some old filler but this stuff going down on Caprica... I get that it's trying to talk about the whole 'What makes a man vs a machine' but everything is so heavy handed I feel like they're hitting me with a pipe wrench over and over and over again.

Back to The Shield.

John
20-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Have you not watched The Shield about six times?

The Game of Thrones lads' next project is going to be a speculative fiction about what would have happened if the South won and seceded, and in the modern day slavery was big business. They're going to get protested to death.

Jimmy Floyd
20-07-2017, 09:35 PM
If it means set piece Dixie Land renditions, I'm watching.

John
20-07-2017, 09:47 PM
If they're to avoid getting their addresses given out by Spike Lee they'll have to make every slave so obviously the best human being ever, and everyone even vaguely connected with the companies using them such a villainous caricature that it'll barely be worth watching.

I didn't realise how little those two had done outside of Game of Thrones until checking their CVs for any past work that might help them out. Weiss has done Game of Thrones and one episode of Always Sunny, and Game of Thrones came first. What a fucking break he's got there.

Shindig
20-07-2017, 10:03 PM
They could divorce that enough from reality that they should be fine.

Boydy
20-07-2017, 11:03 PM
How did Game of Thrones become so big anyway? The books weren't all that popular (outside of fantasy circles), were they? Did it start with a lot of fuss?

John
21-07-2017, 12:09 AM
By being really good and having a huge HBO marketing push behind it.

Bernanke
23-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Can't link it right now, but the new Stranger Things-trailer. :drool:

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-07-2017, 10:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgS2L7WPIO4

Indeed.

Raoul Duke
23-07-2017, 01:00 PM
The new Walking Dead one looks pretty good too. Hopefully Negan beats the shit out of the priest idiot.

Giggles
24-07-2017, 03:48 PM
I like that new Star Trek trailer, didn't realise it's so far away though.

Adamski
24-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Good few light years away anyway.

Yevrah
24-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Second episode in a row of new Twin Peaks that wasn't particularly great.

Giggles
24-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Good few light years away anyway.

Or September.

mo
25-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Anyone watch Suits? I've just finished series two and feel like there was a whole chunk missing from the episode, which has left me a bit confused...

It skips from Jessica threatening to expose Mike to Mike washing his hands and Harvey telling him off? So we miss the whole bit where Harvey loses?

Raoul Duke
26-07-2017, 06:29 AM
Suits is absolute gibberish, so I wouldn't pay much attention to the "story". It's just loads of attractive people mooching about being sassy.

Baz
26-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Twin Peaks.

The end of season two was an abomination. I'd have been soooo angry if I'd watched it in 1992.

Two episodes into season three and it seems turd. Sometimes it got zany and overly weird but at least it was fun and lighthearted. However season three is turgid tryhard seriousness. So so shit. Will persevere with it so hopefully it gets good, cos I absolutely loved the old ones, until the final episode.

John
26-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Everything from about episode nine of the second season was pure bilge. I haven't watched any of the new stuff, but you're the first person I've seen being completely unimpressed with the early episodes.

Yevrah
26-07-2017, 07:22 PM
I watched the latest episode of season 3 last night and it's rapidly losing me.

It's still very watchable, but it just isn't going anywhere, which you expect from Lynch stuff and that's fine if what you're watching is interesting, but, and this is the real problem, it just isn't particularly.

The new characters aren't a patch on the old and there are far too many of them, so little of it is set in Twin Peaks (seriously, almost none of it), so it's lost that mystique and there are times when it feels like you could be watching any old show (particularly when stalwarts of the American networks keep turning up) and we're now 11 episodes in and a story arc that should have lasted 8 episodes as an absolute maximum is showing no signs of stopping, to the point where it clearly won't.

There are other problems, but those are the main ones that spring to mind.

John
26-07-2017, 07:41 PM
A character was imprisoned inside the doorknob on a chest of drawers for about six episodes in the second half of season two, has it gotten that bad?

I think people forget just how terrible it got in season two because most of the really iconic stuff also happened that year, but it was functionally two different seasons in one.

Baz
28-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Five episodes in now. Jesus Christ is fucking SHITE. :cry:

Mike
28-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Just finished GLOW and loved it :D

Reg
28-07-2017, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed that. The lead dude (Marc Maron is apparently his name) was really good, and likeable.

Sir Andy Mahowry
28-07-2017, 10:05 PM
For me, only Bojack and Master of None are funnier Netflix original shows.

Alex
28-07-2017, 10:29 PM
I've been watching a lot of Bates Motel recently. It starts out as nothing particularly special but it really grows as it goes along. It's got a couple of fantastic, really talented leads playing Norma and Norman too. Plus, it has that perfect, forty minute, ".....I'll just watch another one" episode length.

I've made it into season four in the space of a couple of weeks.

Adamski
29-07-2017, 06:23 AM
I haven't seen Seinfeld all the way through before.

I've watched a few seasons but always seemed to move onto something else so decided to give it a go as I've a few days to myself.

It really is good, I love that whole late 80's NYC vibe. Crazy to think Friends started while that was still going, they seem a few decades apart by the end of friends.

John
29-07-2017, 08:53 AM
I've tried that a few times but can never get past the fact that Seinfeld himself just can't act.

Adamski
29-07-2017, 09:14 AM
I quite like him in it. Tbh in things like sitcoms that's never really something I think about for some reason.

John
02-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Speechless, a comedy about the family of a kid with Cerebral Palsy, is really good.

Magic
03-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Seinfeld is tragic but his stand up is ok.

Started watching Broadchurch. What a great show.

Ian
03-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Did Broadchurch improve again as it went along? Loved the first series, gave up on the second about three episodes in.

Baz
03-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Was actually relieved we couldn't watch any Twin Peaks tonight. You know it's dogshit when you'd rather go to parentcraft classes.

Gotta persevere and finish it off though, apparently.

John
03-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Did Broadchurch improve again as it went along? Loved the first series, gave up on the second about three episodes in.

The third was really good. I didn't bother with the second at all after the adverts made it look like a courtroom drama, and what little I missed with impact on the third could be easily worked out from context as it went on.

Magic
03-08-2017, 09:31 PM

Ah man. Loving season 1.

Ian
03-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Season 1 is absolutely superb, you'll have no regrets there. Enough people obviously enjoyed 2 to get another done but maybe I'll give 3 a go.

Boydy
03-08-2017, 09:53 PM
I watched 1 and 2 back to back so I can't really remember what happens in which. I enjoyed both though. Haven't got round to the third yet.

John
04-08-2017, 06:47 AM
I watched 1 and 2 back to back so I can't really remember what happens in which. I enjoyed both though. Haven't got round to the third yet.

The first one ends with the killer being revealed and Ellie moving into a hotel with her kids. Everything after that is two.

John
04-08-2017, 06:47 AM
The top man at NBC has added an extra year to the already pointless Will and Grace revival, and has admitted that he's always trying to get extra seasons of ER, The Office, 30 Rock, and The West Wing made. Television is well on its way to becoming a giant nostalgia fuelled asphyxiwank.

Jimmy Floyd
04-08-2017, 07:27 AM
A new brand is a risk, old brands are a guarantee. Just look at all the old bands reforming and doing tours while everyone complains that new music is shite these days. It isn't.

John
04-08-2017, 10:29 PM
Speaking of new brands.

Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner is currently working on a new series, The Romanoffs, for Amazon Studios. Told in anthology format, each episode will focus on a person in the present day who believes that they are descended from doomed Russian imperial family The Romanoffs, who were executed by Bolshevik troops in July 1918. Aside from this thematic connection, the episodes will be otherwise unrelated, each a standalone story about, as Weiner puts it, “questioning who we are and who we say we are.”

That will be batshit.

Sir Andy Mahowry
07-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Fucking hell I absolutely loved the new Rick and Morty episode.

phonics
07-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Most of the way through Season 2 of Battlestar now. Specifically I'm

when they find earth

I don't know why I'm doing this to myself. I'm actively on the Cylons side now, these people are idiots and deserve to be wiped out.

bruhnaldo
07-08-2017, 01:36 PM
fucking hell i absolutely loved the new rick and morty episode.

jaguar!

John
07-08-2017, 03:35 PM
It was terrific fun, but the therapist's monologue aside it was easily the thinnest episode they've ever done. It's a bit of a cheat to have one of the scenes in the title sequence be a completely random stinger scene too.

Magic
07-08-2017, 10:42 PM
Oh WOW season one of Broadchurch was fucking great. Thrilling, really. Great telly.

Giggles
07-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Why are all your posts taking the form and tone of a clickbait heading these days?

Alex
07-08-2017, 10:55 PM
I thought this weeks Twin Peaks was a marked improvement over the last couple of episodes. I really enjoyed it. Much more of it happened in Twin Peaks, for starters. I liked the Evil Coop stuff, and even the Dougie bits were pretty good. The more screen time Big Ed gets the better, as well.

Plus, it gets extra marks for resurrecting the cringeworthy musical exploits of James Hurley.

Magic
07-08-2017, 10:55 PM
You'll never believe what happens next!

Giggles
07-08-2017, 11:21 PM
That Comrade Detective thing looks mental.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
07-08-2017, 11:38 PM
You'll never believe what happens next!

:D

The first season of Broadchurch was fantastic, I gave up on 2 after a couple of episodes, there was a particular point that was just an 'oh fuck off' moment.

If you can get into 3 without it being affected too much then I'll be all over that.

Boydy
07-08-2017, 11:40 PM
On a similar note, I finished the latest season of The Americans yesterday. It was okay.

The Jennings are actually a bit boring now - I don't think Paige should ever have been made so central to the story. She's shit. The stuff following Oleg Burov back in Russia is quality though. I could watch an entire show just about that. Also Frank Langella leaving is shit.

Boydy
08-08-2017, 09:17 PM
People of Earth is pretty good.

It's a comedy about a support group for people who have been abducted by aliens.

Yevrah
09-08-2017, 09:15 PM
I thought this weeks Twin Peaks was a marked improvement over the last couple of episodes. I really enjoyed it. Much more of it happened in Twin Peaks, for starters. I liked the Evil Coop stuff, and even the Dougie bits were pretty good. The more screen time Big Ed gets the better, as well.

Plus, it gets extra marks for resurrecting the cringeworthy musical exploits of James Hurley.

I'd agree with all that. The previous 4 were pretty bad, but that was a return to form somewhat.

Baz
10-08-2017, 08:04 PM
A return to form? This new season is an abomination and shouldn't be allowed to carry the Twin Peaks brand.

The original Twin Peaks was cute and twee, and a splendid 50's murder-mystery plot with all kinds of side-stories, which sometimes but rarely intertwined. And then it all ended and very little was tied up and it was very disappointing after such a fun run. Now the new ones have come along and they're unnecessarily violet and gory, the language is terrible just for the sake of being allowed to swear - and boy do they swear a lot - and the main storyline is just dumb. Dougie randomly getting distracted by dandruff was the worst thing to happen so far - he was so close to dying! As for Bushnell Mills, Janey-E and Anthony claiming to have actual conversations with the walking wardrobe... gimme a break! Audrey may as well be a completely different actress with a different name, because she's completely different. Who the fuck's Charlie and Billy? I honestly don't even want to find out. And Norma's gone from the one of the best characters (woo, go feminism, when she told Hank she'd rather be Ed's whore than Hank's wife I could hear the hooping and hollering all the way back from 1993) to a pussy who doesn't say anything. What what the hell is up with Bobby crying over Laura Palmer as soon as her saw her photo? He didn't give a single speck of shit about her in the original series. He never ever got sad about her death even once, not even at the start. Yet he cried at the sight of her photo? Get lost, Twin Peaks, you're just an imposter. The Frank storyline has already outstayed it's welcome too. Just tell us Harry's dead and be done with it. Oh and tht naughty lad who ran over the little boy, presumably the offspring of "Audrey" and evil Coop, is so terrible. Him popping out the crowd at the last minute as Evil Coop shot Ray was just ridiculous.

I could go on but I've wasted enough of my time watching thirteen episodes of nonsense that then writing about it is almost as bad.

John
14-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Mr Mercedes has me absolutely astonished that we haven't had another round of 'violence on tv causes violence in reality' outrage. It would have been far and away the easiest connection the offence seekers would ever have had to make. On Friday a program is released which centres on the hunt for a man who drove a car into a crowd, on Saturday a man drives a car into a crowd.

Maybe people have grown up where that's concerned.

Giggles
14-08-2017, 08:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Seen this floating about Twitter today.

Boydy
14-08-2017, 09:14 PM
I didn't intend to watch all of that but it drew me in. It's pretty good.

SvN
14-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Me too - just finished it, very good.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
14-08-2017, 10:20 PM
It's mostly correct but I'm not having season 8 as the decline. It's the last truly great season.

Offshore Toon
14-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Ozark is pretty good. First drama I've got into since season one of Narcos.

Adamski
19-08-2017, 08:28 AM
Anyone watch Ray Donovan?

Ian
19-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Made a start on the Defenders. Three episodes in and I'm surprised by how patiently they've paced themselves at the start but I'm enjoying it so far.

Anyone watch Ray Donovan?

I watched about half of the first series and keep wondering if I should go back and give it another go. I quite liked the acting and the story was decent but I just sort of lost interest.

Alex
19-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Yes. Are you up to date with it, or just starting out?

Giggles
19-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Last Chance U series 2 is most definitely not living up to series 1. It's a massive yawn 5 episodes in.

Adamski
19-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Yes. Are you up to date with it, or just starting out?

Up to date. You?

Alex
19-08-2017, 10:03 AM
Up to date. You?

Same.

I'm surprised where they've gone with the new season. I had no inkling that was coming really. Abby was such a big character, killing her is pretty ballsy. Even though I found her a bit annoying at times. Although she's obviously still going to have a pretty big presence on screen I guess, at least for this season.

I like it though, it's a bold move. It's given the whole thing this really dreamlike, surreal quality. It's almost like watching a different show completely at the minute. It's nice to see Liev Schreiber get to do more, range wise, with the character too.

I was about 95% sure Ray was just going to explode and kick the shit out of that actresses husband in the last episode. I guess her killing him instead sets up this seasons big issue for him to resolve though. I imagine she's going to start sleeping with him at some point too, or at least try her very best to.

I accidentally read that a major character gets killed off right before watching the season premiere and I was terrified it was going to be Mickey. I'm not sure I could have taken that! I loved his line in the last episode about sitting in the front row in his writers class because the teacher has massive tits. :D

Adamski
19-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Same.

I'm surprised where they've gone with the new season. I had no inkling that was coming really. Abby was such a big character, killing her is pretty ballsy. Even though I found her a bit annoying at times. Although she's obviously still going to have a pretty big presence on screen I guess, at least for this season.

I like it though, it's a bold move. It's given the whole thing this really dreamlike, surreal quality. It's almost like watching a different show completely at the minute. It's nice to see Liev Schreiber get to do more, range wise, with the character too.

I was about 95% sure Ray was just going to explode and kick the shit out of that actresses husband in the last episode. I guess her killing him instead sets up this seasons big issue for him to resolve though. I imagine she's going to start sleeping with him at some point too, or at least try her very best to.

I accidentally read that a major character gets killed off right before watching the season premiere and I was terrified it was going to be Mickey. I'm not sure I could have taken that! I loved his line in the last episode about sitting in the front row in his writers class because the teacher has massive tits. :D

Would go along with all of that, totally. I actually had to check I hadn't missed the first episode :D. Really like the way they've done it but it just gives everything such a cool slant that I've never really seen halfway through any series like this. Definitely adds a new dimension which they needed to do as last season was a bit of a chore.

Ian
20-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Finished The Defenders and I enjoyed it. While it still has the Avengers thing of you needing to have seen the previous stuff being eight episodes there is more to this than "Right, we've spent time shuffling these four into place lets have a load of fight scenes."

I was surprised at Weaver's character getting bumped off when she did. They've also fairly transparently left a couple of characters' fate unclear, and how Matt ends up in the nunnery I guess.

One thing that was weird was the soundtrack. They were trying to capture the feel of all four shows which were of course different. So one big action scene you've got Daredevil-esque drama music and on another you've got hip hop like in a fight from the Luke Cage series.

Boydy
20-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Finally got into The Man in the High Castle properly recently. Almost through it all now. Couldn't help but laugh when one of the Japanese generals was giving his big talk and they all start shouting 'BANZAI!'.

Weaver
21-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Don't fear that Big Ben is going mute for four years, lads, This Morning have found the replacement:

Ian
21-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Don't fear that Big Ben is going mute for four years, lads, This Morning have found the replacement:

I mean, the inevitable bullies really want to be targeting her fucking parents because they're the ones who've encouraged her to go on TV with that shit.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
22-08-2017, 10:34 PM
The third was really good. I didn't bother with the second at all after the adverts made it look like a courtroom drama, and what little I missed with impact on the third could be easily worked out from context as it went on.

I've just finished it and it is excellent. You can just read a quick synopsis of season 2 then skip it without losing out.

mugbull
23-08-2017, 01:44 PM
I've been watching Riverdale and it's actually really good. It's about a bunch of highschoolers, so ok, not exactly a MatureMan!'s show, but it's very well written. It's based of the comic book series Archie but it's pretty much a modern Twin Peaks, and they're doing (so far as I am in the series) a very very good job of developing characters, making them all relevant and multifaceted, as well as obscuring who the murderer is.

Magic
23-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Bottled Broadchurch because I enjoyed S01 so much didn't want to ruin it.

Started on Fargo now, it's so badass.

wullie
23-08-2017, 02:23 PM
I still need to watch the first season of Fargo. The third took a while to get going but was really good, once you get used to Ewan McGregor just being Ewan McGregor.

Magic
23-08-2017, 02:30 PM
I'm still getting used to Martin Freeman being Martin Freeman.

John
23-08-2017, 02:33 PM
The first season of Fargo is really great.

Lorne Malvo. :cool:

phonics
24-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Ugh, they're bringing back League of Gentleman. The first series was incredible, two tailed off and three was fucking awful. I can't imagine this being an improvement.

Kikó
24-08-2017, 09:45 AM
LoG series 2 was great.

phonics
24-08-2017, 10:01 AM
The first couple of episodes were good but the plot became too prominent.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
24-08-2017, 10:07 AM
I still need to watch the first season of Fargo. The third took a while to get going but was really good, once you get used to Ewan McGregor just being Ewan McGregor.

You'll love the first two then, three was definitely weaker.

wullie
24-08-2017, 10:52 AM
I loved the second and the characters were a lot better, but I think I preferred the third series as a whole.

Jimmy Floyd
24-08-2017, 12:18 PM
New four-episode run (each episode is two hours) of Inspector Montalbano has started on BBC4 for those who like utterly magical Sicilian comic crime drama.

Boydy
27-08-2017, 11:32 PM
Started watching The X Files today. Don't know why I didn't before. Although I do remember being a bit scared of it as a kid. That theme tune still kinda creeps me out.

Baz
28-08-2017, 07:21 AM
Started watching The X Files today. Don't know why I didn't before. Although I do remember being a bit scared of it as a kid. That theme tune still kinda creeps me out.:drool:

Gonna watch it all? Seen many of them before?

Boydy
28-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Yes and no. Starting right from the start.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
28-08-2017, 07:20 PM
I forget where I gave up on The X-files but the early stuff is great. The best episodes were always the 'monster of the week' ones, not so much the UFO backstory.

wullie
29-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Finished Ozark, liked it a lot although the 'Breaking Bad meets Fargo' tag that Netflix were going with didn't really come to mind, if anything the sweaty setting reminded me of Bloodline more than anything. I'm ok with violence normally but I couldn't watch Marty's toenail torture in the last episode. Jason Bateman plays a great dickhead

Yevrah
29-08-2017, 06:07 PM
16th episode of the new Twin Peaks watched it it was very good, with a couple of very moving scenes.

Alex
29-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Finished Ozark, liked it a lot although the 'Breaking Bad meets Fargo' tag that Netflix were going with didn't really come to mind, if anything the sweaty setting reminded me of Bloodline more than anything. I'm ok with violence normally but I couldn't watch Marty's toenail torture in the last episode. Jason Bateman plays a great dickhead

I would agree with the Bloodline comparison. I probably enjoyed it a little more than Bloodline, if anything. It didn't take itself quite as seriously. There's always enough Michael Bluth in everything Bateman does to give it this sarcastic, darkly comic undertone, which I really like about it.
That scene when he started slapping his wife on the arse during the the act, I didn't know whether to recoil from the screen in horror or break down in a fit of laughter. :D I agree absolutely with what you say in your spoiler tag, by the way. Fuck that. I turned away from the screen until I was absolutely sure it was over. No thank you.

Offshore Toon
29-08-2017, 08:35 PM
That scene is indeed incredible. :D

Bernanke
29-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Finn Jones is an impressively shit actor.

John
30-08-2017, 10:59 PM
People of Earth is pretty good.

It's a comedy about a support group for people who have been abducted by aliens.

I've been enjoying this. The tone of it reminds me a little of Braindead, which is worth checking out just for the sung 'previously on' bits. It's much better written than that though.

The Norwegian bloke playing the 'White' has terrific comic timing.

Yevrah
04-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Watched the Twin Peaks finale last night, that probably should be that now.

Baz
05-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Watched the Twin Peaks finale last night, that probably should be that now.Just finished it.

Biggest pile of wank ever recorded to video.

Alex
05-09-2017, 08:03 PM

You really disliked the new season, didn't you Baz? I haven't watched the finale yet but, bar a very boring stretch in the middle, I think it's been quite good.

Alex
05-09-2017, 08:04 PM
I've also started the new season of Narcos. It's surviving the loss of Pablo a lot better than I thought it would. The first couple of episodes have actually been very good.

Baz
05-09-2017, 08:06 PM

You really disliked the new season, didn't you Baz? I haven't watched the finale yet but, bar a very boring stretch in the middle, I think it's been quite good.

That's an understatement. I should've known it wouldn't be any good after the total cop-out at the end of season two. :o

I literally can't think of anything I liked in season three.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Finished The Defenders today, it's easily the worst of the Netflix series and despite enjoying it at times I found it difficult to get into at times.

Ian is on the money in regards to the soundtrack which is strange, as that was always a huge positive for the various series.

Foe
05-09-2017, 08:47 PM
I've also started the new season of Narcos. It's surviving the loss of Pablo a lot better than I thought it would. The first couple of episodes have actually been very good.

It's holding up pretty well actually. Pena is a pretty good lead. I'm about 7 episodes in.

Alex
05-09-2017, 08:52 PM
It's holding up pretty well actually. Pena is a pretty good lead. I'm about 7 episodes in.

Yeah, I'm glad Pena is still in it. Cool bastard. :cool:

I do miss the other bloke a bit though, the moustached white guy, Steve? I guess he's not coming back? The actor has sort of made it in Hollywood I think. I noticed him in Logan.

Foe
05-09-2017, 08:56 PM
They kind of set it up at the end of series 2 with asking Pena what he knew of the Cali cartel so I'm pretty sure it'll be Pena centric.

Pena is great because he just doesn't give a fuck.

Yevrah
05-09-2017, 09:14 PM
That's an understatement. I should've known it wouldn't be any good after the total cop-out at the end of season two. :o

I literally can't think of anything I liked in season three.

I loved the season 2 ending anyway, but in fairness I'm not sure Lynch and Frost knew they'd have to wait 25 years to follow it up when they filmed it.

As for your second sentence, why did you continue watching it? That's what, 14 hours of something you hated?

Baz
05-09-2017, 09:15 PM
I loved the season 2 ending anyway, but in fairness I'm not sure Lynch and Frost knew they'd have to wait 25 years to follow it up when they filmed it.

As for your second sentence, why did you continue watching it? That's what, 14 hours of something you hated?My wife said I "forced" her to watch the first two seasons (she never liked it) so the least I could do was see it out. :moop:

I stopped even trying to make sense of it earlydoors, but the whole Audrey thing really annoys me. What was the point?

Yevrah
05-09-2017, 09:19 PM
As for the finale, it wasn't at all what I (or anybody for that matter) was expecting, and I wasn't sure how I felt about it at the time (apart from one bit, which I hated), but it's stuck with me and I'm still thinking about it.

I need to watch the whole thing again really, I can barely recall much of season 2.

Alex
05-09-2017, 09:29 PM
They kind of set it up at the end of series 2 with asking Pena what he knew of the Cali cartel so I'm pretty sure it'll be Pena centric.

Pena is great because he just doesn't give a fuck.

This is true. I think my favourite new character in season two, bearing in mind I've only watched a couple, is Pacho. I like how he's super charismatic and also a complete nut job.

The bit in the second episode (I think) where he pulls that bloke he doesn't like limb from limb by chaining him to four motorbikes. :serious:

And, prior to that, flaunts the fact that he's gay to everyone in the bar by dancing with that bloke in front of them all because he knows none of them have got the bottle to say anything to him. :cool:

John
05-09-2017, 09:34 PM
I need to watch the whole thing again really, I can barely recall much of season 2.

Odds on about half of what you remember as season one will really be season two, and the rest of what happens in two will infuriate you. There's some absolute tripe in there.

David Simon's new thing starts this week, and it looks shit hot.

mo
06-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I could take it or leave it and find the characters pretty annoying, but my wife loves it so we'll persist. Long way to go though - at least they're short episodes.

Baz
06-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I could take it or leave it and find the characters pretty annoying, but my wife loves it so we'll persist. Long way to go though - at least they're short episodes.Lucky!

How far in are you?

Also seen a few bus stop adverts for the new IT. Is it on telly or Netflix?

John
06-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Cinemas. It's a film.

mo
06-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Lucky!

How far in are you?

Also seen a few bus stop adverts for the new IT. Is it on telly or Netflix?

About halfway through season 2.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
06-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I'm glad Pena is still in it. Cool bastard. :cool:

I do miss the other bloke a bit though, the moustached white guy, Steve? I guess he's not coming back? The actor has sort of made it in Hollywood I think. I noticed him in Logan.

He reminds me of Macauley Culkin, Home Alone era, with the worst attempt at a moustache in a long time.

Baz
06-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Cinemas. It's a film.:D

Alex
06-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I could take it or leave it and find the characters pretty annoying, but my wife loves it so we'll persist. Long way to go though - at least they're short episodes.

Don't worry. It gets increasingly better as it goes along. Honestly, it's excellent.

John
06-09-2017, 07:37 PM
I immediately disliked everyone in Always Sunny, then just as I was beginning to settle into it after about six episodes they introduced Danny DeVito as the worst character in the history of the medium and I was out for good.

Boydy
06-09-2017, 07:37 PM
:facepalm:

Baz
06-09-2017, 07:53 PM
I think you mean best. He's amazing!

randomlegend
06-09-2017, 08:12 PM
I know this thread is generally for good TV, but I watched about 20 minutes of the first episode of that Quacks thing on BBC the other day.

It's astonishingly bad.

phonics
06-09-2017, 08:48 PM
I immediately disliked everyone in Always Sunny, then just as I was beginning to settle into it after about six episodes they introduced Danny DeVito as the worst character in the history of the medium and I was out for good.

How does it feel to be legitimately wrong about a subjective thing?

John
06-09-2017, 09:08 PM
You ought to know. That's your posting career in sum.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
06-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Person of Interest card in 3, 2, 1...

Dark Soldier
06-09-2017, 10:43 PM

https://i.imgur.com/sqd5j9p.gif

John
07-09-2017, 07:06 PM
You seem to have got more entertainment value out of my post than I got out of that character. I'm glad.

Browning
09-09-2017, 10:43 AM
New Bojack might be my favourite season yet and I'm only half way through. Feels like it's a lot funnier without losing any of it's other qualities.

Boydy
09-09-2017, 11:07 AM
It's out?!

I didn't realise. Why do Netflix send me emails about adding shows that I might like which I definitely won't yet they don't send me an email about the latest season of a show I've watched all of? Twats.

Sir Andy Mahowry
09-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Only came out yesterday.

I've watched the first 3 or so and I'm loving it.

The Merse
10-09-2017, 08:51 PM
New Bojack might be my favourite season yet and I'm only half way through. Feels like it's a lot funnier without losing any of it's other qualities.

Just finished it.

For me, the best qualities of Bojack have always been in it's darkest moments, but this season absolutely nails being challenging and emotionally evocative. The episode inside his mothers mind, the big reveal, the poignant faceless memories. Fuck. Depression and dementia have rarely ever been so brilliantly featured in a TV show, and that this a comedic animation set in a surreal world only goes to further how impressive that is.

Cannot recommend highly enough - as a 5 hour binge it's engulfing stuff.

The Merse
10-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Also, Master of None season 2 has been excellent. Particularly the deaf episode.

phonics
10-09-2017, 09:07 PM
The adaption of the pseudo JK Rowling novel has been quite good. It's a bit obvious and trite but entertaining nonetheless.

The Merse
10-09-2017, 09:50 PM
The adaption of the pseudo JK Rowling novel has been quite good. It's a bit obvious and trite but entertaining nonetheless.

By which do you mean the Lemony Snicket series?

If so, yep - enjoyable enough.

Netflix are also funding/exclusively purchasing some utter gash too, but generally it's better than anything on terrestrial TV.

phonics
11-09-2017, 06:45 AM
It's the private investigator who came from the war one. Isn't Lemony Snicket the Grimms Fairy Tales rip off?

Jimmy Floyd
11-09-2017, 08:11 AM
Strike. The books are a lot better (inevitably for murder mysteries as you can put proper amounts of detail in) but the acting saves it a bit, especially the lead.

phonics
11-09-2017, 08:30 AM
He is very good and even the assistant isn't awful, her husband seems written to be the worlds largest nobber though. Who would ever say 'She was the only half looker with a brain' about your fiance to her boss. Although she seems to treat him like absolute dog shit as well so maybe they're just two sociopaths in a pod.

I know it sounds petty but it's kind of nice to see people regularly smoking on TV as well, the way it is these days you'd think there's not a smoker left in the UK.

phonics
13-09-2017, 09:03 PM
After a severe downturn in life, I've turned on Bake Off. It really is wholesome, feel good television.

SvN
13-09-2017, 09:05 PM
It's the sort of shit I usually detest, but I quite enjoy it.

phonics
13-09-2017, 09:07 PM
It's the sort of shit I usually detest, but I quite enjoy it.

I'd largely avoided it outside of family gatherings like Christmas where I'm too pissed/full to care for that reason.

That Siberian bird would GET IT.

Max Power
13-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Jeez the penultimate episode of Narcos was tense. Really enjoyed this season, best of the three and I haven't watched the finale yet.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
14-09-2017, 09:00 AM
How's Bake Off compared to previous years? I generally dislike Noel Fielding but I couldn't understand the praise Sue and Mel got.

SvN
14-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Honestly, it seems the same to me. I haven't really missed any of the former cast. I hated Sue Perkins anyway, and Prue Leith is basically Mary Berry with a different hairstyle.

phonics
14-09-2017, 09:09 AM
I'd come to detest post-Mighty Boosh Noel Fielding but I've found him quite enjoyable on this. Some awful, awful shirts though. He was wearing what appeared to be a dark blue frock with nipples all over it on the one I watched yesterday.

John
14-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Turning up in an outfit that would make even Merse want to punch you is a big part of Noel Fielding's act. I expect he'll have on a shellsuit onesie at some point.

wullie
14-09-2017, 09:14 AM
The main thing that stands out is the ad breaks which still feel weird. Noel Fielding's toned down the whimsy a bit and he's surprisingly suited to the voiceovers.

SvN
14-09-2017, 09:16 AM
I always watch it an hour later, so I'd actually forgotten about that ad breaks because we skip them.

Boydy
14-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Anyone seen Loaded that was on Channel 4 a while back?

I remembered seeing the ads at the time and thought it looked like it might be alright. Watched it recently in All4 or whatever they call it these days and was really pleasantly surprised. I thought it was very good.

Jimmy Floyd
14-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Has anyone seen 'Back' the new Mitchell and Webb vehicle? I've seen rave reviews but I don't know if it's worth plumbing the depths of C4 on demand to watch it.

Reg
14-09-2017, 10:14 PM
I caught some of the first episode and it is Mark and Jez from Peep Show placed into different circumstances. Perhaps worth trying if you're a fan of that; I didn't find it as funny myself.

Browning
14-09-2017, 10:15 PM
I've watched the first 2 and thought they were both shite, haven't laughed once. I loved Peep Show and I agree the characters are very similar, but it's just not funny. It needs Super Hans.

John Arne
15-09-2017, 07:15 AM
I can't think of a programme and it's doing my head in.

UK, maybe 2008-2012-ish... mainly piss take street reporting, some political stuff, a little bit dennis pennis-esq.... I remember accidently stumbling upon it on YouTube a few years ago, and it wasn't too bad, but I think it only ran for 3 series....

Any ideas?

-james-
16-09-2017, 12:54 AM
I watched the first episode of 'Back' but I won't watch another. It isn't funny and it's not far off being cringeworthy.

This, though, is funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbhnmwosgBo

Boydy
16-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Anyone seen Loaded that was on Channel 4 a while back?

I remembered seeing the ads at the time and thought it looked like it might be alright. Watched it recently in All4 or whatever they call it these days and was really pleasantly surprised. I thought it was very good.

Jimmy rudely knocked this back onto the last page so I'm quoting myself.

Sounds like it's a better post-Peep Show vehicle than 'Back'.

John
16-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Channel 4 have done some decent stuff of late. I caught up with a thing called Flowers recently and really enjoyed it.

wullie
16-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Started Tin Star, it's really fucking weird. Tim Roth appears to be in a completely different show to everyone around him.

Boydy
20-09-2017, 09:33 PM
John, you probably already know but just in case you don't, The Good Place is back tonight.

Also, how are you getting on with People of Earth?

John
20-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Yeah, double episode tonight, then it goes to Thursdays as of next week. No idea what that's about.

I think I'm two episodes off being up to date. It's good fun, but the voice they have Peter Serafinowicz doing for The Cube makes it quite obvious they wanted Jemaine Clement and couldn't get him. I just hear Fart from Rick and Morty every time he pops up.

Raoul Duke
20-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Been watching the second series of The Expanse. Not all the way through it yet. Still awesome. Can't understand the Indian (?) UN woman for shit though.

Miller :cool:

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Binged on American Vandal over the last 2 days and I thought it was great.

It's really smart and funny with some great performances, especially by the guy who plays Dylan Maxwell.

Baz
21-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Started Tin Star, it's really fucking weird. Tim Roth appears to be in a completely different show to everyone around him.Yeah I’m only one in so will give it more chance but not feeling it so far.

I asked my dad about it (he watches everything) and he just kept telling me to watch Mr Mercedes instead. Anyone watching that?

Spikey M
21-09-2017, 09:53 AM
I've read the Mr Mercedes books and they're decent, but pretty much every series Based on a Stephen King book has been a disappointment. What channel is it on, anyway?

Baz
21-09-2017, 09:55 AM
None on Sky (yet) but from his explanation I’d guess it’s on Hulu, like Handmaid’s Tale so may well end up channel 4.

randomlegend
21-09-2017, 12:13 PM
I don't know what I missed with that Top of the Lake series which was on recently - since it got rave reviews - but I watched a couple of episodes when my mum had it on and thought it was total shite.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-09-2017, 04:25 PM
http://screenrant.com/hbo-watchmen-tv-series-pilot-damon-lindelof/

If they do it justice :drool:

Giggles
22-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Only Fools and Horses is still so fucking good :drool:

Boydy
24-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Watched the new episode of The Good Place. It's on Netflix now which is handy. Not sure how well this season is going to work.

The Merse
24-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Binged on American Vandal over the last 2 days and I thought it was great.

It's really smart and funny with some great performances, especially by the guy who plays Dylan Maxwell.

I've done exactly the same. After making the missus watch Jinx during a month of incessantly watching true crime documentaries and all of the C4 fly on the wall police stuff, it was a perfectly timed spoof and well pitched on the gently humorous vs farcical scale.

Jimmy Floyd
24-09-2017, 09:25 PM
I saw an episode of Tin Star. I'm not sure if it was the first or second but it was absolute rot and I can't take Tim Roth seriously after that FIFA bullshit.

wullie
24-09-2017, 09:30 PM
I gave it one more episode but I don't think I can justify a fourth to myself. The oil boss and the buffoon assassins led by the fella from Coronation Street are all too hammy.

Giggles
26-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Discovery was promising.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Indeed.

It's also made me start downloading the entire back catalogue as I never watched anything of the old stuff.

Giggles
26-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Indeed.

It's also made me start downloading the entire back catalogue as I never watched anything of the old stuff.

DS9 :drool:

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-09-2017, 07:23 PM
I'm going to be doing it in 'The Correct Order' as listed here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/wiki/where_should_i_start

Kikó
26-09-2017, 07:42 PM
I enjoyed discovery. I've missed a good Star Trek series. Enterprise was naff sadly.

Giggles
26-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Only copped after that there was a second episode too.

Alex
27-09-2017, 06:54 PM
I'm going to be doing it in 'The Correct Order' as listed here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/wiki/where_should_i_start

I sort of started this undertaking myself a couple of months ago, but it's been a very half-hearted effort so far. I must be less than fifteen episodes into the original series. I'm not saying it's bad (because it isn't) but it's just very......of it's time.

Sir Andy Mahowry
28-09-2017, 01:58 PM
I started today.

Charlie :D

I like it a lot but I do get the 'of it's time' thing.

Baz
28-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Just skip Deep Space 9.

Jimmy Floyd
28-09-2017, 02:15 PM
I've been getting into my random pap on Sky Atlantic of late. 'I'm Dying Up Here' is quite fun and on a weightier note, the first episode of 'The Deuce' was pretty good as long as you don't mind baps and cocks.

Both feature a lot of 70s haircuts which somehow works on those filters they use.

Disco
28-09-2017, 02:22 PM
You wouldn't skip DS9, it's the only one with a proper arc. If you're going to skip anything then make it Voyager, the good bits are not worth the investment of time.

Baz
28-09-2017, 06:14 PM
You wouldn't skip DS9, it's the only one with a proper arc. If you're going to skip anything then make it Voyager, the good bits are not worth the investment of time.Yeah but Janeway! :dc:

Disco
28-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Exactly.

Baz
28-09-2017, 06:40 PM
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/04/19/6359670664237134281603997940_feminism%203.jpg

Kikó
28-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Janeway is great and the relationships in the series are one of the best reasons to watch. Being helpless in another part of space adds a cool twist.

Deep space 9 is cool for how un Picard like Sisco is.

Ps, why do Klingons always look different?

Baz
29-09-2017, 06:08 AM
I gave it one more episode but I don't think I can justify a fourth to myself. The oil boss and the buffoon assassins led by the fella from Coronation Street are all too hammy.Give it one more episode and you can see the bloke from Corrie licking a womans armpit during sex.

Giggles
29-09-2017, 06:15 AM
Janeway is great and the relationships in the series are one of the best reasons to watch. Being helpless in another part of space adds a cool twist.

Deep space 9 is cool for how un Picard like Sisco is.

Ps, why do Klingons always look different?

Yeah the new series is the biggest re-design I've seen of them. They're a bit more menacing looking than before though.

DS9 and Voyager would be my favourite ones but I'd like to see both back to see if they aged as badly as TNG. Sisko > Picard > Janeway though.

wullie
29-09-2017, 07:18 AM
Give it one more episode and you can see the bloke from Corrie licking a womans armpit during sex.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/6bd9ace3d650b69ce17f319c66e71e7f/tumblr_mreczsWyFw1r8nxtno1_400.gif

John
29-09-2017, 07:39 AM
The new Klingons look like Idris Elba baddie from the last film.

Mazuuurk
29-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Been watching the new season of Narcos, at a slow pace. It is what it is, but kind of nice to just sit and watch it as you aren't really fussed about the characters in it and don't care who kills who etc. Except Pena who is a boss :cool:

In parallel, watching Series 2 of Hannibal, which started off quite enticing but very quickly has become a little mundane. All these incessant flashbacks and visions etc that are going on are really tiring. But it's better than the first series, so I'll stick it out.

Kikó
29-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Yeah the new series is the biggest re-design I've seen of them. They're a bit more menacing looking than before though.

DS9 and Voyager would be my favourite ones but I'd like to see both back to see if they aged as badly as TNG. Sisko > Picard > Janeway though.

I watched them back not too long ago and I think they still stand up. The story lines are still relevant and I think the CGI isn't too shabby (relatively)

Disco
29-09-2017, 12:57 PM
The CGI is good enough, just about. If you can look past that and the unimaginative costume design (oh look, a 34th alien species that look like us bit with a little doobry on the nose/forehead/ear) then most of them stand up pretty well.

Sir Andy Mahowry
29-09-2017, 03:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYkNHkwGg-c

Nice to see Giggles' Granddad on the show.

Giggles
29-09-2017, 04:24 PM
He's too well spoken.

Alex
29-09-2017, 04:24 PM

I think my favourite, "old school television" moment I've seen on it so far is the first or second episode, where that salt monster thing is posing as McCoy's ex-griflriend or something, and Spock is the only one who's figured it out so he just starts absolutely decking her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGv3vGHFhLQ

Just repeated, double axe-handles to the face. :D

Sir Andy Mahowry
29-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Spock in general is brilliant with 'violence', his nerve grip/pinch is fucking outstanding.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-27-2015/d0pJwS.gif

The lightest of touches.

Alex
29-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Look at him, he’s definitely maxed out stealth. :cool:

randomlegend
29-09-2017, 07:12 PM
I know I go on about Taskmaster, but the latest episode was a cracker. The Marmite task :D

Browning
29-09-2017, 07:33 PM
I know I go on about Taskmaster, but the latest episode was a cracker. The Marmite task :D

Agreed. It's brilliant every week but I really liked this one. The spot the difference task was great too, as was Mark promising a sneeze "within 2-3 working days" :D

Edit- They're doing a Champions series after this one, which should be absolutely fantastic.

Sir Andy Mahowry
29-09-2017, 07:51 PM
I haven't started it yet but it's hard to imagine that it wont be the best season thus far.

Bob is fucking brilliant.

Baz
30-09-2017, 11:42 AM
Yeah Greg was particularly hilarious in the latest one. I bloody love it.

wullie
30-09-2017, 01:15 PM
There's something about Mark Watson I can't get along with, but he has his moments in this all the same. Alex Horne is always great

Baz
30-09-2017, 01:51 PM
There's something about Mark Watson I can't get along with, but he has his moments in this all the same. Alex Horne is always greatMy mum said “I like Mark Watson, I feel like he’d be easy to just sit and have a conversation with,” but I almost feel the exact opposite. His awkwardness is entertaining though.

Boydy
01-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Wasn't sure about season 3 of Narcos at the beginning but I'm really enjoying it now (on the penultimate episode). It's so tense.

Weird that David is Jaime from Broad City though.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
01-10-2017, 06:42 PM
He's such a fucking cunt, also reminds me of a dickhead from school which probably doesn't help.

Boydy
01-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Oh yeah, absolutely hate him in this.

But he's a really camp cheeky chappy in Broad City. It's odd.

Magic
01-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Anyone watch Men Who Sleep In Cars (BBC4)? Fantastic.

Disco
01-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Taking notes?

Magic
01-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Also following it up about PAUSE in Hull about mums and kids in care. Stunning programming.

Yes, taking notes on that one too lolol

Magic
01-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Good God. That was 2 hours of fucking outstanding television. Hard hitting as fuck but so well done. Wow. BBC4 you've done it again.

Sir Andy Mahowry
02-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Really cool idea from Bob's Burgers this week but a little jarring at times.

Magic
04-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Good God. That was 2 hours of fucking outstanding television. Hard hitting as fuck but so well done. Wow. BBC4 you've done it again.

@Boyd thought you'd be well in to this shit.

Boydy
04-10-2017, 07:09 PM
I looked up that Men Who Sleep in Cars thing after you mentioned it. It's all in verse?

What was the other programme?

Magic
04-10-2017, 07:10 PM
Child in Mind.

John
04-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Just saw five minutes of 'Back' and it's upsettingly shit. Fuck knows how a load of reasonably funny people get together and make that pish.

Baz
04-10-2017, 09:59 PM
So VICELAND is pretty much my favourite Sky channel (153) now. Has anyone watched Party Legends? It’s really Z-list celebs telling amusing stories, and they’re all animated differently. Some are just plain dumb but some (Ryan Sickler’s one, for example) are really funny.

Same channel also shows Its Always Sunny and something called Nuts & Bolts which is Tyler The Creator and Jasper Dolphin Just arsing about and “learning” stuff.

Magic
08-10-2017, 07:57 PM
New Louis Theroux on BBC 2 now.

Yevrah
08-10-2017, 08:02 PM
I struggle with his American stuff.

Yevrah
08-10-2017, 08:05 PM
And hasn't he done Americans on drugs about 8 times already?

Magic
08-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Their junkies seem a lot more normal than Dundee's at least.

Magic
08-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Lol so the pharmas made synthetic opiods as a cheap painkiller, the Chinese have since found out the addictive qualities and are selling it to the Mexicans who are flooding the US with it. NICE.

Baz
10-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Anyone watching Snowfall on BBC? Sounds like something I’ll really like, so will probably wait for the whole series to record so I can binge it.

EDIT I buckled and watched episode one. Yep, seems great and the music is boss. Looking forward to the next one. Recommended :thbup:

John
11-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Mark Watson's entry for the prize task tonight is probably the best single entry they've ever had on Taskmaster.

mo
11-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Recently watched series three of Black Mirror. First episode wasn't quite as good as I've come to expect but loved the rest. San Junipero in particular as it was quite different (or at least, appeared to be initially).

Browning
11-10-2017, 09:41 PM
Mark Watson's entry for the prize task tonight is probably the best single entry they've ever had on Taskmaster.

Was that the trousers, or is there another episode online already?

Thought he was genuinely robbed with the trousers.

John
11-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Trousers. I just watch it when it comes on TV.

Browning
11-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Fair play, I completely agree it was the best one ever.

Dark Soldier
13-10-2017, 10:41 PM
Mindhunter is legit, just watched the first three.

Lofty
14-10-2017, 06:55 AM
Excellent, been looking forward to that for a while.

Alex
15-10-2017, 05:11 PM
I've been watching the first season of The Affair recently, it's quite good. The way they split the episodes into halves, with a perspective from each of the two people involved in said affair, is very clever. It's got a good cast too. It's the first decent thing I can recall seeing Dominic West in since The Wire.

Giggles
15-10-2017, 05:15 PM
I love that sort of thing, going to give that a try.

What streaming service has it?

Alex
15-10-2017, 05:23 PM
I've just been downloading them, but I'm pretty sure Now TV have the streaming rights to it.

Magic
15-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Just could not get in to Black Mirror at all. First one was just obviously aimed at liberal wet weekends and the second one was a load of timewasting shit so I promptly deleted the lot. Charlie Brooker can be a testing cunt at times.

Second ep of Dark States tonight. :drool:

Pepe
15-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Mindhunter is legit, just watched the first three.

I'm on that one too. Quite good so far. I think I'm up to episode four.

The massive font used for the locations though. :sick:

Magic
15-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Also finished Fargie tonight. Can't wait for S02. :drool:

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Latest episode of Star Trek Discovery:

Mudd :cool:

Glad that I decided to start watching the old ones as I'm picking up on the little references to TOS now. Like Pike being listed among the most decorated captains.

SvN
16-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Just could not get in to Black Mirror at all. First one was just obviously aimed at liberal wet weekends and the second one was a load of timewasting shit so I promptly deleted the lot. Charlie Brooker can be a testing cunt at times.

Second ep of Dark States tonight. :drool:

You don't need to watch them in order. Read the synopsis and watch the ones that appeal to you. White Christmas is probably my favourite.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
16-10-2017, 10:49 AM
You don't need to watch them in order. Read the synopsis and watch the ones that appeal to you. White Christmas is probably my favourite.

That was good. Shut up and Dance as well. The one that seems to get lauded most (San Junipero) is the one I gave up on. Although I've just realised I've still got the last two to watch.

Magic
16-10-2017, 11:26 AM

Nah I don't want to waste any more of my time. I can just watch BBC News for my PARODY and SATIRE these days.

SvN
16-10-2017, 01:47 PM
You should've at least watched the next episode, I reckon it would've really resonated with you.

Magic
16-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Is it one about domestic abuse?! HhahahahahHhahaha!!11

SvN
16-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Swing and a miss.

phonics
16-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Just found out Mr Robot is back on. Did anyone make it through Season 2. I stopped after the Chinese started bumping people off and it was clear for the 80th time in 2 seasons that we were dealing with an unreliable narrator.

Giggles
16-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Discovery is shaping up well.

John
16-10-2017, 07:12 PM
I chucked Mr Robot after the first episode of season two, when the twist they were very obviously going to end the season with was clear about half an hour in.

phonics
16-10-2017, 07:25 PM
I chucked Mr Robot after the first episode of season two, when the twist they were very obviously going to end the season with was clear about half an hour in.

I've just read the Wikipedia and realised I watched every episode save the last one, the twist you're thinking of gets revealed about half way through.

Raoul Duke
16-10-2017, 09:39 PM
I managed to get through all Mr Robot, although to be honest it's total bobbins. I rate the actors in it though and it's fairly watchable (if you can shut down some of the critical thinking parts of your brain).

Bernanke
16-10-2017, 09:43 PM
I found Mr Robot to be complete garbage only 2 episodes in. It was so edgy.