18-12-2018, 09:56 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46603018

#EndOfAnEra

Kikó
18-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Merry fucking Christmas

Ian
18-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Caretaker manager, eh. Internal or some Hiddink-esque character?

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 10:02 AM
He should use all of his undoubtedly astronomical payoff to relocate down to Ipswich and salvage Bobson's boys.

Carrick in a blazer?

(I know, I know, it's serious)

Baz
18-12-2018, 10:04 AM
:cry:

I’m genuinely devastated.

John Arne
18-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Zidane, shirley?

Dave.
18-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Wenger in.

Gray Fox
Big Sam is waiting by the phone.

Lewis
I expected it to go on until they were at least mathematically out of the top four, so this suggests to me that the atmosphere is worse than people think.

SvN
18-12-2018, 10:07 AM
It had to happen. I wonder who's taking over til the end of the season.

Dave.
18-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Big Sam is waiting by the phone.

I hear Curbishley is available.

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Wenger in.

:drool:

This would be beyond amazing.

Or Moyes.

Kikó
18-12-2018, 10:10 AM
This is such a good day. Fantastic news.

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 10:13 AM
How long was that contract that Pochettino just signed?

Merry Christmas forever Daniel.

SincereTheRebel
18-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Terrible. It was great seeing Man Utd like this. I havent laughed so much since David Moyes was in charge.

randomlegend
18-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Thank fucking god.

News is the caretaker won't be someone internal/close to the club. Also not Wenger.

SvN
18-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Got £20 on Pochettino at 50/1.

Luke Emia
18-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Moyes contract hasn't expired yet. Get him back in.

Kikó
18-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Laurent Blanc fyi.

Jimmy Floyd
18-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Zidane is the obvious choice. Not sure he speaks English but that never stopped Ferguson.

Genuinely think Mourinho should go to the next small PL job that comes up. For his own good.

Adamski
18-12-2018, 10:37 AM
SSN saying Carrick has it until the end of the season.

SvN
18-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Interesting, Simon Stone has said it's not Carrick.

SvN
18-12-2018, 10:42 AM
https://i.imgur.com/dsmaKOa.png

Pogba posted this then instantly deleted it.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 10:46 AM
He should be the next one turfed out tbh. I hope they opt for Zidane but whoever it is has a massive job on their hands.

Mazuuurk
18-12-2018, 10:56 AM
I reckon Pogba is the best bet for whoever comes into actually salvaging this season (to the extent that may be possible) for them.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 10:59 AM
I think he's an overrrated sack of shit, personally. I also don't see how he's any sort of bet. He's done nothing whatsoever to justify his price tag and you can count the amount of good games he's had on your hands.

You don't suddenly become a game changer overnight when you've been useless for much of the last two years or so.

thommo
18-12-2018, 11:00 AM
Pogba is a raging cunt as well. Would be glorious for the new manager to also freeze him out.

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 11:02 AM
He's obviously a very talented player (on a basic technical/physical level), but whether he has it between the ears is another thing.

Hughes, Bruce, Keane, there must be others (Nevilles :baz:), the choices for their end of days-Souness equivalent are limitless. Unless they've already been through that phase.

SvN
18-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Blanc until the end of the season is looking likely. Not a bad choice.

Jimmy Floyd
18-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Blanc is just Mark Hughes in a beret.

Kikó
18-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Pogba is a raging cunt as well. Would be glorious for the new manager to also freeze him out.

Absolutely this.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 11:12 AM
He's obviously a very talented player (on a basic technical/physical level), but whether he has it between the ears is another thing.

Is he really though? His best form seemed to come when surrounded by better midfielders at Juventus and with France. I couldn't really recall a period where he's had a sustained level of form with Man United.

I also don't think just sacking Mourinho is the solution. Last chance for Ed Woodward now too.

Poch keeps getting mentioned but seriously, why would you swap jobs given the difference in both clubs?

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Is he really though? His best form seemed to come when surrounded by better midfielders at Juventus and with France. I couldn't really recall a period where he's had a sustained level of form with Man United.

I reckon he is, yeah. But not the sort to put a team on his back an carry them and maybe he needs the very capable support he had at Juve (although it's a joke league) and for France. He's not in the highest echelon of players, but he's still a very good one if you can keep his arsehole tendencies in check. Really not a Mourinho player though. It's obvious in retrospect, but Mourinho is never going to work where transfer policy is geared in anyway towards social media presence. He needs absolute authority and he never had that at United, which is why people like Pogba could play the dickhead. Or maybe why Lukaku is so fat.

Poch keeps getting mentioned but seriously, why would you swap jobs given the difference in both clubs?

He takes the team with him, and even if he doesn't, it's just a tier above in terms of job.

At the same time, it's a thankless task and the allure of being the one to restore former glory can be somewhat of a poisoned chalice.

Jimmy Floyd
18-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Man Utd manager is an impossible job now. The fanbase expects consistent major trophies won with attacking verve, but the club is run by American asset strippers and their pugdog wannabe. Meanwhile the best manager ever is breathing down your neck from the stands, silently telling you that you are not worthy, and the best manager of the present day runs a far better-resourced outfit down the road.

No one in their right mind would take it on except for the salary.

Dark Soldier
18-12-2018, 11:26 AM
am so fuckin moist right now

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 11:28 AM
You've hit the nail on the head with Uniteds transfer policy. Maybe if they signed footballers instead of likes then it wouldn't have got so out of hand.

I don't anticipate much changing so whoever comes in next will probably go the same route as Moyes, LvG and now Mourinho. Good decision to get rid though, it seemed like they never would.

Pleb
18-12-2018, 11:32 AM
:jayjay:

Kikó
18-12-2018, 11:32 AM
The least united fans expect (as newly appointed spokesman) is the team to try. We've been phoning it in for months. The next manager will be given time and as long as they coach the team, then they'll do ok as there is talent there.

randomlegend
18-12-2018, 11:44 AM
https://i.imgur.com/dsmaKOa.png

Pogba posted this then instantly deleted it.

It was a scheduled Adidas advert. Just had been scheduled for an unfortunate time.

SvN
18-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Seems like it. Pretty funny though.

randomlegend
18-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Also anyone who thinks Pogba is rubbish is a gombine. He's a creative player trying to create for a side completely devoid of attacking movement or intent. It's an impossible task. He made about a billion chances for Ibra when he was there and he always looks much better in those games where we were losing in the last ten minutes and the players seemingly decided to just do what they want.

Also think he's pretty likeable; he just hated Mourinho and with good reason quite frankly.

The first-team is much better than people are giving credit for; the management was genuinely horrendous.

SvN
18-12-2018, 11:52 AM
It's Smiffy, if Messi played for United he'd be shite.

randomlegend
18-12-2018, 12:01 PM
The constant rotation was one of the worst things. Any time a player had a bad game (other than his favourites i.e. Matic) they immediately got dropped and frozen out.

No chance for the team to build any consistency or chemistry when the players are constantly in and out of the team. Also no chance for players to build confidence because as soon as they come in they get dropped again.

Things like a settled centre back pairing are so important and it just never happened, and not just because of injuries.

Given a consistent run under good management I firmly believe a team of De Gea, Valencia/Dalot, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw, Matic, Fred, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Martial is a very strong one. Probably need to add properly world class player to make them contenders for the league but they should not be languishing as they are.

Kikó
18-12-2018, 12:13 PM
I think there's the making of a good team in there. A real manager will start to sort their fitness out.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Thank fuck.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 01:01 PM
It's Smiffy, if Messi played for United he'd be shite.

Far from it. I base my opinion on the fact that the world's most expensive midfielder wasn't it? has done absolutely nothing in his time there nor has he threatened to do so. I also find his off field antics to be nothing short of contempt and even if he was Messi I wouldn't stand for it at my club.

Lingard is another. At his age he really should know better but no, he's a joke and he'd have bombed out of the Manchester United we all had to watch growing up in a heart beat. So would Pogba.

There is talent in the United squad but talent isn't all you need to succeed. You can be the most talented in the world but if you don't apply yourself in the right manner then it's not talent that's going to be seen all too often. United have maybe five players in the entire squad that you could call talented. For me that's De Gea, Rashford, Martial, Mata and at a push, first season Bailly.

You could sack everyone else off and replace them with better very easily. Still relying on a failed winger come right back like Young, still persisting with FEC or even Fellaini and the like says it all really. That's before you get to the expensive flops that your average fan saw coming, IE, Lukaku being a flat track bully etc.

You won't convince me Pogba is anything special until he starts doing it on the pitch. It's been a long wait so far. An expensive one too.

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Given a consistent run under good management I firmly believe a team of De Gea, Valencia/Dalot, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw, Matic, Fred, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Martial is a very strong one. Probably need to add properly world class player to make them contenders for the league but they should not be languishing as they are.

Good, old/unproven, rash, unproven, decent (but injury/fatness prone), old and shite, no idea, quality on his day, has been, tier-2 at best, hot-and-cold.

Now, I know what you are getting at, but the reality is that United's side/squad is probably around the 5th or 6th best in the league.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if the next coach departs from the crab football they've played for the last however many years it is since Fergie left.

Dark Soldier
18-12-2018, 01:12 PM
I'm guessing you want Trent out ya club for trying to slay a pregnant, taken woman during the summer then? Pogba was superb in the summer at the World Cup, the team currently plays with zero attacking ability and as such he's stunted. That first season he was incredible with Ibra.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 01:23 PM
What has Trent got to do with Pogba and more importantly, why bring Liverpool into it? He also didn't cost a club record fee, a world record fee at the time. If you spend that money then you expect the player to lift everyone's performances, to lead by example, to grab a game by the scruff of the neck. You can't argue that whether it's right or wrong, Pogba has done more harm than good at United. He's hidden more than he's turned up and his focus is on anything except football.

Pogba was alright at the World Cup but superb? He looked better by default of being surrounded by better players and the tournament being just a short one.

There's clearly talent in Pogba but he's 26 in a few months time and if you haven't sussed things out by now then I don't hold much hope for him. Talent isn't his problem, he's got that, it's his application to the game. He's just nowhere near where he should be.

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 01:25 PM
What's Lingard been doing to draw ire anyway? Is this about his clothes label or whatever it was Keane was doing his nut about the other day? Hardly the biggest crime. I've never really understood him as a player, but he does have an uncanny knack to be in the right place at the right time despite ostensibly not really being that good.

Dark Soldier
18-12-2018, 01:31 PM
The reason I brought Trent into it is you bringing up off the field shite as if its still 1995 and Keane's in the dressing room. Give a fuck that he's doing the odd dab or dancing, he's a modern football player, they're all pricks who've been pandered to since they were six years old. I'd take that over some right back who's trying to slam his bbc into any taken white pussy within five miles.

Its like you've diluted Souness into a needle and shot it into ya veins. If you're expecting Pogba to suddenly be Viera/Keane/Gerrard, he's not, and never has been that type of player. He's the type to pick a pass, create some space and link defence and midfield, not barrel around doing everything. I'm not his biggest fan, and doubt he'll be a success here but the guy's proven it with France and Juve, and donned the ever living fuck out of our youth set-up. He underperforms under a manager who has been hopeless for the club and the guy's a spent force.

Wobble son.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 01:35 PM
I couldn't give one about his clothes label.

He's an average footballer in my opinion, he's no youngster anymore and again it's his application to the game that causes concern, he's barely improved and he comes across as though he's something special. Such a player would never have been such a central figure under Alex Ferguson. Most of the United lot wouldn't have tbh. The players clearly run that asylum now.

I don't know why it bugs me either. I should be laughing (which I do) but part of me actually thinks it's shit that such a legacy got destroyed so easily. It's funny because it's United but it's sad because I was mortified when Hodgson and co nearly ruined us. Weird.

Dark Soldier
18-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Mate its five years since we won the league, we came second last year and Mourinho won more trophies at United than Klopp has at Liverpool. Calm down, its not like we've gone 28 years without winning the league.

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Perhaps not, but welcome to the journey.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 01:41 PM
The reason I brought Trent into it is you bringing up off the field shite as if its still 1995 and Keane's in the dressing room. Give a fuck that he's doing the odd dab or dancing, he's a modern football player, they're all pricks who've been pandered to since they were six years old. I'd take that over some right back who's trying to slam his bbc into any taken white pussy within five miles.

Its like you've diluted Souness into a needle and shot it into ya veins. If you're expecting Pogba to suddenly be Viera/Keane/Gerrard, he's not, and never has been that type of player. He's the type to pick a pass, create some space and link defence and midfield, not barrel around doing everything. I'm not his biggest fan, and doubt he'll be a success here but the guy's proven it with France and Juve, and donned the ever living fuck out of our youth set-up. He underperforms under a manager who has been hopeless for the club and the guy's a spent force.

Wobble son.

I don't expect Pogba to get anywhere near the levels of the trio you mentioned but nor did I expect him to be. My dislike for him simply boils down to the fact that he should be better than he is and any professional worth his salt would have got his head down and done his talking on the pitch. This is an issue I take with many United players actually, Kiko said phoning it in. Well if you're representing my club then at the very least I expect you to break a sweat when doing so.

If he was doing it on the pitch then his off field antics wouldn't be as much of an issue I'm sure but they are definitely related. He's probably with Lingard now coming up with their new celebration/dance whatever.

SvN
18-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Mate its five years since we won the league, we came second last year and Mourinho won more trophies at United than Klopp has at Liverpool. Calm down, its not like we've gone 28 years without winning the league.

I find it quite funny that since Ferguson left, we've entered our most difficult period in decades. Yet we've still won more trophies in that time than Liverpool have in the last 12 years.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 01:46 PM

Just read your own quote here, DS. You can't even see the irony there? You finished 2nd? That's like the almost won the league trophy, right. This is exactly how far your lot has fallen but that's getting away from the point.

Dark Soldier
18-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Mate after 20 years of absolute and complete dominance, there's bound to a little slip here and there. I was very happy with 2nd last season with a points haul that would've won the league most seasons if it hadn't been for an insanely good City side. What am I supposed to do, froth at the mouth because we didn't win it?

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 01:50 PM
I find it quite funny that since Ferguson left, we've entered our most difficult period in decades. Yet we've still won more trophies in that time than Liverpool have in the last 12 years.

Yet ask which supporters are the happiest in the last three years.

Liverpool also went to a Europa League final, I believe we knocked you out en route to it. We also lost another European Cup final just a few months ago.

The point I'm trying to make is how far United have fallen and getting rid of Mourinho is not the quick fix, it's a small step but there's so many other issues at that club.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Mate after 20 years of absolute and complete dominance, there's bound to a little slip here and there. I was very happy with 2nd last season with a points haul that would've won the league most seasons if it hadn't been for an insanely good City side. What am I supposed to do, froth at the mouth because we didn't win it?

Don't talk to me about slips. Low blow!

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Football is all about the here and now.

Talking about past glories is what you do when you don't have much hope for present or future ones. Believe me.

United aren't going away, but they very much are on the same path that Liverpool were in the early 90s. They probably won't be in the (relative) wilderness for as long but equally they are unlikely to return to those halcyon days anytime soon either. If Guardiola decides to stick around and try to build a dynasty at City they're going to be in their shadow for a very long time. Fortunately I'm not sure that is too likely.

Baz
18-12-2018, 02:13 PM
This thread's like the old board.

Where are Taz and GS when you need them?

Lewis
18-12-2018, 02:21 PM
Smallpockets is definitely interested if his greasy political answers are anything to go by, and the reason he would take the job is that it is a miles bigger job than the one he currently has.

SvN
18-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Quite funny watching the betting market for next manager. Blanc was odds on a few hours ago, and now he's 4/1 and Solksjaer is favourite :D

Lewis
18-12-2018, 02:25 PM
If they want fourth place after a shit transfer window and first four months then Arsene Wenger seems the obvious choice.

Jimmy Floyd
18-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Smallpockets is definitely interested if his greasy political answers are anything to go by, and the reason he would take the job is that it is a miles bigger job than the one he currently has.

Levy has played an absolute blinder with that contract though, to get him out you'd need to still be paying them when Jesse Lingard is advertising M&S dressing gowns.

-james-
18-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Wasn't Solskjaer terrible at Cardiff?

Lewis
18-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Levy has played an absolute blinder with that contract though, to get him out you'd need to still be paying them when Jesse Lingard is advertising M&S dressing gowns.

Eight million quid a year, four years left on it by the end of the season. In the context of all the money torched and paid out to managers over the past few years it seems like decent value.

John
18-12-2018, 02:54 PM
This is classic Smiff on football. Undiluted horseshit from someone as bitter as the ripest of lemons.

SvN
18-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Telegraph have said it's Ole with Phelan as number 2 until the end of the season. After that we'll try and get Pochettino.

Lewis
18-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Mike Phelan swaggering back in giving it the large'un because he KNOWS THE CLUB as everyone signed since he left just looks at him.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-12-2018, 03:39 PM
He should have Eric Bischoff's theme playing at the training ground when he walks back in :cool:

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 03:58 PM
What is there to be bitter about exactly, John? There has never been such a big gulf between United and ourselves. Man United barely even register as City are the better team and are our direct rivals at present. It'll be a rinse and repeat job at United, sign big name, throw money at it, sack and start again. No one at the club seems to have a clue how to handle a club that size.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 04:00 PM
Telegraph have said it's Ole with Phelan as number 2 until the end of the season. After that we'll try and get Pochettino.

I just can't see why Pochettino would be in the least bit interested. It truly boggles the mind when he has it so much better at Tottenham.

Jimmy Floyd
18-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Tottenham are still Tottenham.

Jimmy Floyd
18-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Eight million quid a year, four years left on it by the end of the season. In the context of all the money torched and paid out to managers over the past few years it seems like decent value.

I agree, I just don't know whether Bob and Steve Glazer will.

SvN
18-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Tottenham are still Tottenham.

The consensus among Spurs fans is that there's absolutely no chance he's leaving, mostly due to the new stadium. I'm probably biased, but I'd say taking United back to the top of the league is probably one of the biggest jobs in football at the moment.

phonics
18-12-2018, 05:01 PM
The problem for Pochettino staying at Tottenham is that there's only so long you can out peform expectations and the moment you start achieving par instead you'll get criticised for it. Much easier to turn up at United and pay 8-9 positions 200k a week.

Giggles
18-12-2018, 05:01 PM
The consensus among Spurs fans is that there's absolutely no chance he's leaving, mostly due to the new stadium. I'm probably biased, but I'd say taking United back to the top of the league is probably one of the biggest jobs in football at the moment.

Surely the new stadium means they won't spend a penny. Did they buy at all this year?

phonics
18-12-2018, 05:04 PM
By the way, I've seen far too much social media posting about Spurs' revolutionary 'from the bottom up' pint pouring machines. That's how I poured pints at the hardly glamorous Liberty Stadium back in 2008 for 5.50 an hour. It's not quite the fancy cheese stand I heard so much of before.

thommo
18-12-2018, 05:05 PM
They spent nothing this season, and got a lot of criticism for it at the time.

Smjffy
18-12-2018, 05:12 PM
By the way, I've seen far too much social media posting about Spurs' revolutionary 'from the bottom up' pint pouring machines. That's how I poured pints at the hardly glamorous Liberty Stadium back in 2008 for 5.50 an hour. It's not quite the fancy cheese stand I heard so much of before.

Cashless stadium apparently. I can see that working...not.

Spurs have done fantastic this season given the circumstances.

SvN
18-12-2018, 05:14 PM
Cashless is the way forward. There's already some pubs in London that don't accept cash.

phonics
18-12-2018, 05:16 PM
First till I ever had to operate and it was during half time at an FA cup match, Swans v Fulham I think. It was one of those old school ones where you'd just input the order and then you'd have to do the math on the change. The definition of trial by fire considering if you did fuck up the change you had to do someone elses order because you weren't able to open up the till unless you were putting cash in.

They put a TV opposite the bar but it was just far away/small enough that you couldn't actually watch the match. I hated that job. I left that job and the city after 6 months of that, they got promoted 3 months after.

randomlegend
18-12-2018, 05:36 PM
This is classic Smiff on football. Undiluted horseshit from someone as bitter as the ripest of lemons.

Lemons are sour not bitter, retard.

Jimmy Floyd
18-12-2018, 05:40 PM
Spurs have had a lot of luck in recent years, mainly Harry Kane randomly morphing into a world class goalscorer. It won't always be so, and Pochettino has showed ruthless ambition before.

Only problem is United is probably a 5 year rebuild rather than 2 years, so he might just as well wait for the next time it comes up.

bruhnaldo
18-12-2018, 05:49 PM
You said i must eat so many lemons cause i am so bittahhh.

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-12-2018, 06:00 PM
You said i must eat so many lemons cause i am so bittahhh.

I'd rather be with your friends, mate cause they are much fittah.

Lewis
18-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Smiffy's comparisons between Liverpool and a shambolic United that 'barely even register as our direct rivals' are somewhat contradictory. It's only three years since Brendan Rodgers and the laughing stock transfer committee were replaced, so I don't see why, given the resources that could be made available for targets under the age of thirty, somebody couldn't turn it around in a comparable window if they have a plan.

Andy
18-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Pochettino would jump at the chance of managing United. Bigger budget, higher ceiling, bigger fanbsse and they completely fit his ethos.

Spurs could win the league this season and he'd still be interested.

bruhnaldo
18-12-2018, 06:53 PM
Reckon Spurs winning the league would have him more likely as it would be "job accomplished" surely.

mugbull
18-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Pochettino will go Madrid eventually, but not United. It would be like applying to work at eBay

Boydy
18-12-2018, 07:20 PM
A decent manager and a decent january and summer transfer window and united could be winning the league next season. They're hardly relegation fodder.

I wouldn't mind seeing them become good again if they play good football. Another team seriously challenging for the league would only be a good thing.

mugbull
18-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Oh for sure, the brand will carry them on no matter how many times they fuck it up. That's the thing that I hate most about United, really.

bruhnaldo
18-12-2018, 07:37 PM
What's working at eBay like I wanna understand that reference

Jimmy Floyd
18-12-2018, 07:50 PM
This will be a longer rebuild because their only nailed on safe bet player is a goalkeeper, and they have loads of useless contracts burning money that won't be easy to dump, Sanchez being the prime example.

If I were the new manager/DOF and I looked down that squad, and I was given the brief of being properly good again in three years, who do you keep around? I think it's fairly difficult to make an argument for too many of them. Pogba is notoriously unreliable so I'd look to shift him I think and spend the proceeds.

That aside, I'd back:

- De Gea
- whichever of Lindelof/Bailly is less of a write off
- Mata (for professionalism/example)
- Rashford
- Martial
- Lingard
- Dalot, assuming he's alright
- Shaw

I really wouldn't be fussed at all about any of the others. That leaves you needing to recruit an entire midfield for a start, and most of a defence, before you're good again - and that means buying people aged 18-24 and building them up, rather than shopping big for the finished article. Have corporate modern United got the patience to do that? I don't know.

mugbull
18-12-2018, 07:54 PM
What's working at eBay like I wanna understand that reference

eBay makes any other tech company look like paradise on earth

mugbull
18-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Or at least it did. I don’t know if it’s still even in existence anymore

Lewis
18-12-2018, 08:03 PM
This will be a longer rebuild because their only nailed on safe bet player is a goalkeeper, and they have loads of useless contracts burning money that won't be easy to dump, Sanchez being the prime example.

If I were the new manager/DOF and I looked down that squad, and I was given the brief of being properly good again in three years, who do you keep around? I think it's fairly difficult to make an argument for too many of them. Pogba is notoriously unreliable so I'd look to shift him I think and spend the proceeds.

That aside, I'd back:

- De Gea
- whichever of Lindelof/Bailly is less of a write off
- Mata (for professionalism/example)
- Rashford
- Martial
- Lingard
- Dalot, assuming he's alright
- Shaw

I really wouldn't be fussed at all about any of the others. That leaves you needing to recruit an entire midfield for a start, and most of a defence, before you're good again - and that means buying people aged 18-24 and building them up, rather than shopping big for the finished article. Have corporate modern United got the patience to do that? I don't know.

Corporate modern United have exhausted the continuity, sure-thing, instant success alternatives (in theory at least), so turning everything over in favour of a what you have outlined is the only avenue left.

Shindig
18-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Mourinho's just never been a long-term boss. He's basically been a lifer mercenary like a younger Ancelotti or Hiddink.

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Corporate modern United have exhausted the continuity, sure-thing, instant success alternatives (in theory at least), so turning everything over in favour of a what you have outlined is the only avenue left.

But corporate, who really call the shots, don't allow any amount of non-success (ie non-CL qualification), so a bottom-up rebuild is a bit of an extra-challenge. I was wondering whether Klopp would have survived long enough there had he translated across what he's done at Liverpool, but I suppose he did qualify for the Champions League in his first full season (didn't he?) so he'd probably have been kept on, just.

Safest route back is to nobble a direct rival, which I guess is the added bonus with Pochettino.

Getting him and Kane tough. Fucking hell. That has to work pretty rapidly.

randomlegend
18-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Levy would sell his own mother before he sells Harry Kane. I don't see them accepting any amount of money for him (obviously they'd accept a billion quid, you know what I mean), why would they?

niko_cee
18-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Yeah, but Daniel Levy probably would sell his own mother.

Jimmy Floyd
18-12-2018, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure they would accept a billion quid. What would they do with a billion quid, engineer another Kane from the flesh of dead orphans?

Giggles
18-12-2018, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure they would accept a billion quid. What would they do with a billion quid, engineer another Kane from the flesh of dead orphans?

Buy enough coke to get that stadium finished.

Pen
18-12-2018, 10:14 PM

Double swoop it is then. My two cents re all this is that it’s great tvat Mourinho is out as United were absolutely horrible to watch and he clearly had lost the dressing room. The problems however seem more deeply rooted. This season seems like write off from here, so I don’t mind if it is a Phelan/Carrick for the rest of the season. Hopefully they get someone good in as soon as the season ends. Pocchettino would probably be the best alternative.

phonics
18-12-2018, 10:21 PM
Dan Ashworth would be a more important signing than any manager they can get in. The problems on the football side are too big to think appointing the Spurs manager will turn things around forever.

Spikey M
18-12-2018, 10:22 PM

I think that's unfair. Levy sold Modric, Bale and Walker for the same reason you sold Suarez and Coutinho.

randomlegend
18-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Looks like the official Utd website accidentally leaked Solksjaer as caretaker:

https://i.redd.it/88y14z2214521.png

Jimmy Floyd
18-12-2018, 10:26 PM
I guess it's a complete shot to nothing of a season now, but Solskjaer is a bizarre choice if that's who it is. It's like Chelsea bunging Paulo Ferreira in charge next time the gaffer gets heaved.

Kikó
18-12-2018, 10:28 PM
I'm going to try enjoy OGS.

phonics
18-12-2018, 10:35 PM
I guess it's a complete shot to nothing of a season now, but Solskjaer is a bizarre choice if that's who it is. It's like Chelsea bunging Paulo Ferreira in charge next time the gaffer gets heaved.

He has managed in the Premier League (and achieved a perfectly serviceable win%) and won the league a couple of times in Norway. It's not quite the same as appointing the bloke in charge of the 'players on loan' whatsapp group.

Pleb
18-12-2018, 11:55 PM
Ole :cool:

Phelan :face:

Dark Soldier
19-12-2018, 12:48 AM
When he wins us the CL again :drool:

Our very own Di Matteo.

Shindig
19-12-2018, 06:57 AM
Just in time to fuck us over. :moop:

Kikó
19-12-2018, 07:18 AM
Ole :cool:

Phelan :face:

Probably more the other way. Read that Rene is coming back as well.

Fergie is back by proxy.

Jimmy Floyd
19-12-2018, 07:38 AM
I thought that as soon as I saw Phelan's name, and everyone cooing over him and Gill on Sunday.

Giggles
19-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Must watch a few Utd games now to see flawless worldbeater Pogba now that Mourinho isn't there to stunt his ability and stop him caring.

randomlegend
19-12-2018, 09:25 AM
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/ole-gunnar-solskjaer-appointed-caretaker-manager

Kikó
19-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Looking forward to it. Go on Ole.

niko_cee
19-12-2018, 09:52 AM
I don't really get the appointment, other than as a public relations exercise (who could dislike Solskjaer?).

I know they have to get someone to do the job, it just seems odd to bring someone in from outside on an interim basis. It's not like he's going to be doing anything other than sporting the blazer, what's the story with Carrick? Is he insufficiently badged?

Kikó
19-12-2018, 09:53 AM
He's not got the badges correct. I think it's a play until the owners sell so doing the cheap option.

Or more likely, they haven't got a clue what they're doing.

Giggles
19-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Was this always the intention? Pochettino is a nutcase if he knocked them back, even until the end of the season.

Mazuuurk
19-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Calling him an Interrim manager probably is just a good move to lower expectations. It seems to be what people do now.

Look, guys, we know things haver sucked for a while now and they will probably suck for a while longer with this Interrim manager, while we look for someone who will be slightly less underwhelming (and hey, if it does work out...).

thommo
19-12-2018, 10:04 AM
He has managed in the Premier League (and achieved a perfectly serviceable win%) and won the league a couple of times in Norway. It's not quite the same as appointing the bloke in charge of the 'players on loan' whatsapp group.

Perfectly serviceable win rate? He was an undoubted failure, Cardiff were 17th when he was brought in and they ended up bottom. They won 3 times in 18 games (1 of them against a shambolic Fulham side who were shipping goals for fun), and conceded 42 in that time. He then couldn't hack it in the Championship and was sacked in September.

His success in Norway is impressive, but he was awful at Cardiff.

randomlegend
19-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Calling him an Interrim manager probably is just a good move to lower expectations. It seems to be what people do now.

Look, guys, we know things haver sucked for a while now and they will probably suck for a while longer with this Interrim manager, while we look for someone who will be slightly less underwhelming (and hey, if it does work out...).

Molde's statement says they are 'lending' him to us so does seem like he's genuinely an interim appointment.

SincereTheRebel
19-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Just looking at stats on Jose, I'm surprised he was never top of the league at any point while managing Man Utd

Spikey M
19-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Perfectly serviceable win rate? He was an undoubted failure, Cardiff were 17th when he was brought in and they ended up bottom. They won 3 times in 18 games (1 of them against a shambolic Fulham side who were shipping goals for fun), and conceded 42 in that time. He then couldn't hack it in the Championship and was sacked in September.

His success in Norway is impressive, but he was awful at Cardiff.

Yeah, but he won 100% of the games he won.

niko_cee
19-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Also, I know I'm biased, but I don't really see this 'attacking style' Pochettino apparently brings. Hard-working, physically robust and aggressive is how I'd describe his Spurs team. They can be intimidating, but they're not exactly the great entertainers in the mould of the 60/61 side they seem to be billed as in some quarters.

Kikó
19-12-2018, 10:19 AM
I prefer Santos 57-58.

SvN
19-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Just looking at stats on Jose, I'm surprised he was never top of the league at any point while managing Man Utd

You must be looking at the wrong stats. We were top of the league when we were winning every game 4-0 at the start of last season.

Lewis
19-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Also, I know I'm biased, but I don't really see this 'attacking style' Pochettino apparently brings. Hard-working, physically robust and aggressive is how I'd describe his Spurs team. They can be intimidating, but they're not exactly the great entertainers in the mould of the 60/61 side they seem to be billed as in some quarters.

Yeah, but the better United teams were also more like that than they were ever free-flowing Good Football merchants. Ask the still seething Arsenal fans.

-james-
19-12-2018, 01:41 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ken-early-like-napoleon-mourinho-is-the-outsider-always-trying-to-prove-himself-1.3736207

This is good.

Pepe
19-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Stopped reading at "Like Napoleon."

Spikey M
19-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Same.

Baz
19-12-2018, 02:45 PM
He's more like Napoleon Dynamite these days.

Spikey M
19-12-2018, 02:47 PM
:D

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-12-2018, 02:48 PM
He does have bow hunting skills.

Jimmy Floyd
19-12-2018, 02:50 PM
The article is spot on, he has always resented what might in broad terms be known as 'Proper Football Men'.

John
19-12-2018, 09:08 PM
What is there to be bitter about exactly, John? There has never been such a big gulf between United and ourselves. Man United barely even register as City are the better team and are our direct rivals at present. It'll be a rinse and repeat job at United, sign big name, throw money at it, sack and start again. No one at the club seems to have a clue how to handle a club that size.

Nothing, that's why it's so funny. Liverpool could win ten in a row and you'd still have a massive chip on your shoulder about Man Utd.

Lemons are sour not bitter, retard.

You desperate twat.

Bam
19-12-2018, 09:45 PM
You desperate twat.

Really? Only you've always seemed like a cunt.

randomlegend
19-12-2018, 10:11 PM
I got three pos reps for that John lad. Nobody likes you. Bitter as burnt coffee you old cunt.

Lewis
19-12-2018, 10:54 PM
*files anonymous complaint with the GMC*

John
19-12-2018, 10:57 PM
Might want to reconsider using rep as your barometer for that statement, you utter child.

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-12-2018, 11:11 PM
Borrow your Mum's ladle and batter him, RL.

Disco
19-12-2018, 11:25 PM
He's scotch, he'd love being battered.

Giggles
20-12-2018, 07:56 AM
I like John.

Spikey M
20-12-2018, 08:46 AM
A) I like John
B) RL is a snidey, sad little cunt that has shown himself to be a few times lately.

Boydy
20-12-2018, 08:53 AM
I like both. Can't we all just get along?

John Arne
20-12-2018, 09:04 AM
Well, this all escalated rather quickly.

I think you're all cunts.

phonics
20-12-2018, 10:33 AM
I can’t believe I’m agreeing with that cunt John Arne.

Smjffy
20-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Nothing, that's why it's so funny. Liverpool could win ten in a row and you'd still have a massive chip on your shoulder about Man Utd.

You desperate twat.

So I make comments that have been echoed by other members on here and in general media but that means I'm bitter because of who I support?

You could instead debate why I'm supposedly wrong but that would be asking too much, right? Because there's nothing I've said that suggests bitterness nor some fictitious chip you've just imagined.

Wait until the racial undertones that Mourinho will also be accused of start coming out soon. ITK.

Lewis
20-12-2018, 02:09 PM
The revelations thus far have been a bit shit, other than the lol (understandable) thing about not trusting Ryan Giggs. Nothing to rival the David Moyes chip mutiny.

SvN
20-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Most of the stuff that's come out looks bad on the club, despite them releasing it to try and make him look bad. The entire "hoodie under a suit" thing outraging Bobby Charlton is all a load of bollocks.

Jimmy Floyd
20-12-2018, 03:23 PM
One of the biggest challenges United face is the desire to cling onto their own mythology, as can be seen from this Solskjaer appointment, and any reference to it mattering what Bobby Charlton thinks. They have 20 years' worth of 'Let's get back to the way Fergie did it' ahead of them, not helped by the Class of 92 wankers being omnipresent, when they should instead be looking forward.

Fallen empires are all the same.

randomlegend
20-12-2018, 07:00 PM
Might want to reconsider using rep as your barometer for that statement, you utter child.

There is no finer barometer.

-james-
20-12-2018, 07:09 PM
It's 2019 why are people still bickering on the internet.

phonics
20-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Because it's 2018.

Giggles
20-12-2018, 07:12 PM
And we're all too familiar with one another.

randomlegend
20-12-2018, 07:22 PM
Tbh, I'd go massively out of my way to help 99% of the people on here if there was every anything I could do for them (Jimmy included despite our little bitch fight).

John however is a twat and incredibly easy wound-up which is entertaining. The fact he takes half the stupid shit I post at him seriously is beyond belief. Although lemons are sour not bitter (retard).

Giggles
20-12-2018, 07:24 PM
Sour = bitter in reality though.

I hope you don't bring that one up at parties.

randomlegend
20-12-2018, 07:24 PM
Sour = bitter in reality though.

https://academic.oup.com/chemse/article-abstract/4/4/301/283821?redirectedFrom=fulltext

no

I hope you don't bring that one up at parties.

The people must be educated. It is my duty.

Giggles
20-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Yeah but in reality.

randomlegend
20-12-2018, 07:30 PM
How bout you fuck off yeah

Ian
20-12-2018, 07:50 PM
And it's important that you all know tomatoes are actually a fruit!!!!

Kikó
20-12-2018, 07:54 PM
How nice was it to see OGS giving a positive press conference.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Vercetti
20-12-2018, 07:54 PM
I lolled at this whole "he fucked with the wrong baller", thing, that Pogba supposedly said.

Such a 'baller' you got shut down by Michael fucking Carrick.

I hope it's all true.

Giggles
20-12-2018, 07:56 PM
I lolled at this whole "he fucked with the wrong baller", thing, that Pogba supposedly said.

I hope it's all true.

Mourinho being gone doesn't mean for a second that they shouldn't get rid of that waster at the first opportunity too.

randomlegend
20-12-2018, 07:57 PM

I hope it's all true.

Of course it's not :D

Vercetti
20-12-2018, 08:01 PM
I hope you're not suggesting that The Daily Mail would print a false story about a young(ish) black footballer?

Baz
21-12-2018, 09:09 AM
Alexis Sanchez reportedly won £20,000 off Manchester United teammate Marcos Rojo as a result of Jose Mourinho's sacking.

:stamford:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/news/sanchez-bet-20k-on-mourinho-sacking_344772.html

SincereTheRebel
21-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Sounds unlikely but if that was true, I would be going crazy if I was Sanchez. There is an agent inside a private whats app group leaking news to the world. Manchester man stay snitching.

Lewis
21-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Tottenham Twitter being caught between insisting Smallpockets won't leave and thinking Sky are getting their pundits to nobble him with their opinions is pretty lol. The SEETHE when he strolls out of there and they get Les Ferdinand in.

Jimmy Floyd
21-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Sounds unlikely but if that was true, I would be going crazy if I was Sanchez. There is an agent inside a private whats app group leaking news to the world. Manchester man stay snitching.

Of course it's true, as is the Pogba stuff. Journalists exaggerate and sensationalise but they don't just make things up (99.99% of the time).

Kikó
21-12-2018, 02:46 PM
http://trainingground.guru/articles/man-utd-the-only-team-not-to-use-gps-under-mourinho Pretty shambolic from Mourinho.

Pepe
21-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Explains why the players always looked lost on the pitch.

phonics
21-12-2018, 06:12 PM
http://trainingground.guru/articles/man-utd-the-only-team-not-to-use-gps-under-mourinho Pretty shambolic from Mourinho.

This is saying something considering both Sanchez and Oxlade-Chamberlain apparently turned up to their new clubs so unfit that they had to effectively put them through preseason.

Danny
21-12-2018, 06:16 PM
:stamford:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/news/sanchez-bet-20k-on-mourinho-sacking_344772.html

Of course it's true, as is the Pogba stuff. Journalists exaggerate and sensationalise but they don't just make things up (99.99% of the time).

"According to the Sun" :lol:

Have a word.

niko_cee
21-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Also a bit of a non-story because they've only turned to absolute shite this season, when it has been re-introduced per the article.

randomlegend
21-12-2018, 06:48 PM

Of course they do.

Solksjaer has Gomes and Garner in the first team squad for tomorrow :drool: