PDA

View Full Version : The Ched Evans Conviction [Overturned?] Thread

niko_cee
05-10-2015, 04:22 PM
I'm sure we had hours of scintillating back and forth on this matter on the old board. Everyone's favourite Chedwyn has had his case sent back to the Court of Appeal by the Criminal Cases Review Board.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34441348

What's going to happen when it gets overturned? I don't imagine the hand-wringing and apologies will have the same fervency as some of the earlier reactions. Rename a bunch of stands in his honour?

QE Harold Flair
05-10-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm awaiting another clear victory here, and hopefully the tart will be convicted herself.

Benny
05-10-2015, 04:25 PM
His pick of any woman in Sheffield should suffice.

Lewis
05-10-2015, 04:26 PM
He'd sooner stay inside.

Benny
05-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Yeah, fair point.

Spammer
05-10-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm awaiting another clear victory here, and hopefully the tart will be convicted herself.

She didn't even claim she was raped - the police did - so there's absolutely no reason to have a dig at her.

Only thing that bothers me is that THE MIGHTY BLADES were the last club he played for, so we get brought up in all this shit every time he gets a mention.

QE Harold Flair
05-10-2015, 04:38 PM
She could have said she wasn't. That's what a normal person who wasn't raped would do.

Spammer
05-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Well she couldn't remember what happened so said that and the police deduced, then a court decided, that she was raped. Whether she was or not - and I'm inclined to think she was until they decide otherwise - it's not really her fault that she couldn't remember anything. Shit, she only went to the police in the first place because she'd lost her bag. Baffled at what there is to have a go at her about, unless you're just being a wind up merchant.

QE Harold Flair
05-10-2015, 04:49 PM
It's quite amazing when you think about it. Still, the pictures clearly show her going back to a hotel room with Evans of her own free will. And she didn't look so out of it that she would remember nothing.

Imagine if the roles were revered - would the police be checking if the man was raped? Be laughed out of court. Equality does not exist.

Spammer
05-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Not with Evans, with McDonald.

Toby
05-10-2015, 04:52 PM
I really hope this is overturned so that we see Harold digging up his "victory", which consists of his complete failure to understand the law and subsequent attempts to dig himself out of a hole by pretending he was talking solely about this case and not rape in general.

QE Harold Flair
05-10-2015, 04:52 PM

He was also accused, lest we not forget.

Boydy
05-10-2015, 04:56 PM
It's quite amazing when you think about it. Still, the pictures clearly show her going back to a hotel room with Evans of her own free will. And she didn't look so out of it that she would remember nothing.

Imagine if the roles were revered - would the police be checking if the man was raped? Be laughed out of court. Equality does not exist.

You can't tell what someone's going to remember from when they were drunk by looking at them.

QE Harold Flair
05-10-2015, 04:59 PM
You can't tell what someone's going to remember from when they were drunk by looking at them.

She claimed her drink was spiked - a claim which has bben refuted since no traces of any kind of date rape drug were found in her system. Besides, if she was able to walk in to the room unaided then how can you argue she was in no fit state to give consent (as if anyone ever actually does that).

Pen
05-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Oh good. Harold being confused about rape is at least mildly more entertaining than his million bigotry threads.

QE Harold Flair
05-10-2015, 05:15 PM
See, saying something doesn't make it so.

SvN
05-10-2015, 05:17 PM
She claimed her drink was spiked - a claim which has bben refuted since no traces of any kind of date rape drug were found in her system.

If that's true, I'm not sure how that's meant to discredit her. I very much doubt she said with 100% confidence that her drink was spiked - how could she possibly know? I'd imagine that she was speculating as to why she was so hammered and couldn't remember much.

Baz
05-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Figured I'd throw in a token link to http://www.chedevans.com/ :harold:

John Arne
05-10-2015, 05:22 PM

McDonald is now working with my step-father.

Disco
05-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Oh good. Harold being confused about rape is at least mildly more entertaining than his million bigotry threads.

This is roughly equivalent to preferring horse shit over cow shit.

Spammer
05-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Oh aye? What's he doing? Doesn't look like his football career has been up to much.

Favourite part of the Chedevans website is the CCTV footage of him feeding seagulls earlier on in the night with the caption along the lines of "Is THIS something a rapist would do?"

Pen
05-10-2015, 05:27 PM
This is roughly equivalent to preferring horse shit over cow shit.

True. But when horse shit is pretty much pouring down, stepping on a pile of cow shit will provide a momentary distraction.

QE Harold Flair
05-10-2015, 05:43 PM
If that's true, I'm not sure how that's meant to discredit her. I very much doubt she said with 100% confidence that her drink was spiked - how could she possibly know? I'd imagine that she was speculating as to why she was so hammered and couldn't remember much.

She's floundering about trying to make excuses instead of accepting she fucked 2 men because she wanted to and felt shame afterwards.

Luke Emia
06-10-2015, 06:00 AM
Oh aye? What's he doing? Doesn't look like his football career has been up to much.

Favourite part of the Chedevans website is the CCTV footage of him feeding seagulls earlier on in the night with the caption along the lines of "Is THIS something a rapist would do?"

Course is isn't a rapist would only feed lions.

SvN
21-04-2016, 09:07 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36099522

His conviction has been quashed and he's getting a new trial.

Boydy
21-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Thank god Harold is banned.

phonics
21-04-2016, 09:18 AM
It hasn't been quashed. Apparently new evidence was introduced after the sentencing that has lead to a re-trial.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgjbUKRW4AAWZZ3.jpg

SvN
21-04-2016, 09:19 AM

It's been quashed.

Magic
21-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Looking forward to HBO's new series MAKING A RAPIST.

igor_balis
21-04-2016, 11:32 AM
Interesting case. On one hand, the predictability of certain types to assume Ched is a proper legend who definitely got stitched up is gross, but anyone even remotely questioning the veracity of his guilt being accused of being a victim-blamer is annoying as fuck. I genuinely had a conversation with someone who tried to claim questioning the truth of any rape claim is unacceptable. Why is it so difficult for people to have nuanced opinions?

SvN
21-04-2016, 11:41 AM
I think what bothered me about the original thread on TD was the attitude that "The jurors saw more than what we did, therefore we're stupid to question their verdict". Miscarriages of justice happen too often to have that idealistic view.

Disco
21-04-2016, 11:45 AM
I found it quite hard to care about what happened to such an obviously horrendous person.

Yaysus
21-04-2016, 01:14 PM
yet you still cared enough to make a post about hating him

Disco
21-04-2016, 02:27 PM
All the effort of a single sentence post, what a contradiction I am.

Magic
21-04-2016, 02:37 PM
:drool:

igor_balis
21-04-2016, 02:41 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-amBNq0-57vs/VQgNMPAMgGI/AAAAAAAABk4/3uQ041oqRVM/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-03-17%2Bat%2B11.29.06%2Bpm.png

bye

Giggles
21-04-2016, 04:16 PM
If he ends up off and it is proven she lied to have him originally convicted then hopefully she ends up where he was.

Magic
21-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Didn't realise he raped her in a Premier Inn. Pretty dece place to get raped, rather than your stereotypical alleyway or taxi. No wonder he got out half way. Good stuff.

Lewis
21-04-2016, 04:23 PM
He clearly still reads, but I'm amazed that it took Harold so long to post again.

Smiffy
21-04-2016, 04:33 PM

SvN
20-06-2016, 01:43 PM
http://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/article/spireites-sign-striker-evans-3146681.aspx

He's finally found a club. Signed for Chesterfield.

Shindig
20-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Akinfenwa must be fuming.

Baz
21-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Odds on him being League One top scorer next season? :baz:

Spammer
14-10-2016, 02:35 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37659009

Oh my shit.

Kikó
14-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Bring Harold back immediately.

niko_cee
14-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Sheffield United should rename that stand.

Spammer
14-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Him getting sent down is basically the reason we didn't go up, which is now even more annoying. We got 1 point from our last 4 games after he got done.

Bigger picture though, and all that.

Giggles
14-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Does she get charged now then?

bruhnaldo
14-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Does she get charged now then?

It should def. work that way.

Spammer
14-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Should it? Really?

What they've proved is that, based on all the evidence, it isn't sufficient to convict him. That's it.

Giggles
14-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Should it? Really?

What they've proved is that, based on all the evidence, it isn't sufficient to convict him. That's it.

Slapper was a slapper and then hated herself the next day. To feel better about herself she decided to ruin someone.

I'd fuck the key away.

bruhnaldo
14-10-2016, 03:21 PM

So you understand how trial works. That's nice.

Boydy
14-10-2016, 03:29 PM
They brought in previous sexual partners of hers as witnesses and went over her sexual history. It's pretty disgusting.

Edit: That practice, I mean. Not her sexual history.

Sir Andy Mahowry
14-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Too vanilla for you?

Spammer
14-10-2016, 03:33 PM
So you understand how trial works. That's nice.

Well it seems that you don't so I thought I'd explain it.

Foe
14-10-2016, 04:04 PM
They brought in previous sexual partners of hers as witnesses and went over her sexual history. It's pretty disgusting.

It just goes back to the old classic of there's too much of a range of alleges 'rape'. If she was attacked at night in an alley whilst walking home from work, forced physically against her will up against a wall or something then there's no way this practice would've been used.

When they're talking about 'consent' or 'no consent' then I think it's a fairly stellar way to judge her character, and potentially his character. Either that or you need to start questioning whether all those other guys who had the same experience should be tried for rape also. No.

It's a cultural problem now I'd suggest. Shows like Geordie Shore ex showing exactly that sort of behaviour. Go out, get mortal, and try and shag a bird every night. Morally grey.

niko_cee
14-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Slapper was a slapper and then hated herself the next day. To feel better about herself she decided to ruin someone.

I'd fuck the key away.

This really isn't what happened, is it?

Which is what made it such an odd case in the first place.

Dark Soldier
14-10-2016, 04:15 PM
From the Guardian:

It can now be revealed that:

During the appeal case that led to the retrial, lawyers for the crown suggested the two new witnesses may have been “fed” information by those close to Evans. This claim was rejected by Evans’s side.

Evans’s fiancee, Massey, was accused in legal argument during the second trial of offering an “inducement” to a key witness. The prosecution said this had “the flavour of a bribe”. The trial judge disagreed with this description.

The appeal court judges, whose decision can be reported for the first time, expressed “a considerable degree of hesitation” before allowing in the new evidence of the former partners because it resulted in the complainant’s sexual behaviour being subject to forensic scrutiny – which is almost always banned.

The complainant continues to be named and abused on social media though the law gives her lifelong anonymity. The police are investigating one blog that identified her during the trial.

In court, Evans admitted he lied to get the key for the hotel room and did not speak to her before, during or after sex. He left via a fire exit. It also emerged that Evans’ younger brother and another man were trying to film what was happening from outside the room.

Slag fucking deserved it right lads, filthy fucking whore. Lads being lads, good on ya Ched you wonderful human being.

bruhnaldo
14-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Well it seems that you don't so I thought I'd explain it.

I understand it perfectly fine. The point is, you can word it all precious "All they proved was that there wasn't enough evidence!" but the fact is he's been proven innocent.

I just don't think it's okay for women to have these sexual encounters and then, the next day, feeling like whores, try to play off their promiscuous behavior as someone else's problem, ruin those men's lives and reputation REGARDLESS if they're convicted, and then can just go on about their life when they are proven in a court of law to be inaccurate claims, is interesting, though.

The next step shouldn't be the woman being automatically convicted of a crime, but I wouldn't have any problem with them having to answer for their (proven false by law) claims.

Lewis
14-10-2016, 04:24 PM
That unnamed bloke was probably Harold.

Spikey M
14-10-2016, 05:03 PM
I understand it perfectly fine. The point is, you can word it all precious "All they proved was that there wasn't enough evidence!" but the fact is he's been proven innocent.

I just don't think it's okay for women to have these sexual encounters and then, the next day, feeling like whores, try to play off their promiscuous behavior as someone else's problem, ruin those men's lives and reputation REGARDLESS if they're convicted, and then can just go on about their life when they are proven in a court of law to be inaccurate claims, is interesting, though.

The next step shouldn't be the woman being automatically convicted of a crime, but I wouldn't have any problem with them having to answer for their (proven false by law) claims.

'Not Guilty' is not the same as 'Innocent'.

It can mean innocent, but it can also mean 'Probably did do it but we can't be certain'.

Dark Soldier
14-10-2016, 05:06 PM
'Not Guilty' is not the same as 'Innocent'.

Nah, hang the bitch mate.

Spikey M
14-10-2016, 05:08 PM
By her nipples from the hotel rooms fittings?

Giggles
14-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Nah, hang the bitch mate.

And why can you be certain you know more than someone with a differing opinion? Were you there?

Mellberg
14-10-2016, 05:16 PM
He's innocent in a court of law...just, which in a case such as this, where perhaps innocent and guilty don't cut it and the lines between what is morally acceptable are blurred (should introduce a middle option called shithouse, in which they're taken out the back and given a hiding), still make his actions suspect.

Spikey M
14-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Again, not guilty isn't innocent. Just as 'not hot' isn't 'cold'.

Foe
14-10-2016, 05:34 PM
He's innocent in a court of law...just, which in a case such as this, where perhaps innocent and guilty don't cut it and the lines between what is morally acceptable are blurred (should introduce a middle option called shithouse, in which they're taken out the back and given a hiding), still make his actions suspect.

You've got a prior record son. No hidings from you. Just get the van.

Dark Soldier
14-10-2016, 05:38 PM
And why can you be certain you know more than someone with a differing opinion? Were you there?

Where have I stated I can be certain I know more? I'm just over-reacting like yourself mate, its quite fun. Jolly good bants.

bruhnaldo
14-10-2016, 05:50 PM
I apologize if there's literally a different ruling handed down between "Not Guilty" and "Innocent".

Spikey M
14-10-2016, 05:55 PM
I apologize if there's literally a different ruling handed down that between "Not Guilty" and "Innocent".

It's more that the court system is set up to prove guilt. If the prosecution fail to prove (beyond reasonable doubt) the guilt of the defendant, then they are 'Not Guilty'.

Look at OJ. The bloke is Not Guilty, does anybody sane say he is Innocent?

Look at what DS posted above, Evans is a horrible little cunt. How the girl can face any blame is beyond me.

Magic
14-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Again, not guilty isn't innocent. Just as 'not hot' isn't 'cold'.

And guilty isn't guilty. At least in America anyway.

GS
14-10-2016, 06:34 PM
His actions are clearly very, very suspect. It's a case of 'not proven', rather than 'innocent'. But that's sufficient in our system if the prosecution can't prove the charge beyond a reasonable doubt. Ultimately, they seemingly couldn't get there because her behaviour on the night was consistent with other encounters in the immediate timeframe, meaning you couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt she didn't consent, albeit whilst intoxicated. As Boydy alludes to:

On this, they had to go to court to get special 'dispensation' to admit this evidence. It's a 'he said, she said' case. The issue seems to have come down to whether 'drunken consent' was still 'consent'. If she's drunk and consents, that's different to she's passed out and didn't consent. He provided a clear account of what happened to the police soon after he was arrested, and what the 'new evidence' showed was that her behaviour on the night was very consistent with her behaviour in other encounters i.e. she may have been drunk, but she knew what she was doing.

Ultimately our criminal justice system and the parameters required to convict are such that borderline cases and, occasionally, guilty people are going to go free. That's a necessary evil to make sure that as few innocent people as possible are convicted. I agree raking over her history is deeply unpleasant, but it probably has allowed them to reach the 'correct' judgement (i.e. not proven) here and that's not a bad thing. The alternative is that someone goes through the rest of their life with their name wrongly prefixed with 'convicted rapist', and that's not on.

Spikey M
14-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Pretty much spot on. Of course, it's a shame that her reputation will be in taters now because people just don't get it.

Lewis
14-10-2016, 06:53 PM
Are you saying she's hiding in Ireland?

Spikey M
14-10-2016, 06:58 PM
I fucking knew that needed the extra t. :moop:

Disco
14-10-2016, 07:17 PM
:D

Dquincy
14-10-2016, 09:09 PM
1. Has anyone seen a picture her? Is she hot?
2. Going over her sexual history...so does she have penchant for 3somes?

Spikey M
14-10-2016, 09:26 PM
https://thesecretbarrister.com/2016/10/14/10-myths-busted-about-the-ched-evans-case/

A very good read

Giggles
14-10-2016, 09:46 PM
https://thesecretbarrister.com/2016/10/14/10-myths-busted-about-the-ched-evans-case/

A very good read

I got as far as 3 and it's laughable.

niko_cee
14-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Yeah, it's a slow burner but it picks up towards the end.

Shindig
14-10-2016, 10:52 PM

Yes and no. It establishes a pattern to the jury but, ultimately, in this specific case, proving consent (much like if she treated her prior drunken, forgettable fucks as such) is super hard to do unless another fella is videoing it on his phone. Makes the knee-jerk vilification of her super shitty and the immediate exoneration of him equally cloudy. The jury and the public don't know enough. Ched knows.

leedsrevolution
14-10-2016, 11:46 PM
Not guilty of rape. Wouldn't trust him with my missus. That's it really? Isn't it?

Freddy Star, not Jimmy Saville.

Dquincy
15-10-2016, 05:58 AM
Not guilty of rape. Wouldn't trust him with my missus. That's it really? Isn't it?

Freddy Star, not Jimmy Saville.

He wouldn't go near yours. She's a toad.

John Arne
15-10-2016, 07:05 AM
The reaction to this by some women's groups has been disgraceful. "Some women may now be put off from talking to the police because of this".

What do they want? A person to be convicted regardless of the evidence? What a bizarre stance to take.

Lewis
15-10-2016, 08:06 AM
On that note, are we sure that Stephen Lawrence never killed himself?

Byron
15-10-2016, 09:28 AM
The reaction to this by some women's groups has been disgraceful. "Some women may now be put off from talking to the police because of this".

What do they want? A person to be convicted regardless of the evidence? What a bizarre stance to take.

I thought that quote was a result of the fact that the defence felt the need to go through the woman's entire sexual history.

This was the strange thing, because it felt like the case wasn't being judged on the one event but that 'Ched couldn't have raped her, she's been a slag in the past'

SvN
15-10-2016, 09:55 AM
It was more a case of pointing out this isn't the first time she slept with someone and then completely forgot about it the next day. It's definitely relevant.

GS
15-10-2016, 10:49 AM
I thought that quote was a result of the fact that the defence felt the need to go through the woman's entire sexual history.

This was the strange thing, because it felt like the case wasn't being judged on the one event but that 'Ched couldn't have raped her, she's been a slag in the past'

They didn't 'feel the need to go through the woman's entire sexual history', though. They had two specific examples in a two and a half week window either side of this incident. What they were able to show with that was that his statement to the police on what happened (drunk, consented, what happened on the night etc. etc.) was entirely consistent with her behaviour in other 'encounters' within a close timeframe that couldn't reasonably be dismissed as a coincidence. The blunt way of looking at it is that either you need to be prosecuting all of them or none of them.

It means it's definitely relevant in what effectively amounts to a 'he said, she said' court case. It's not just a case of whether she consented as such, but also whether he could be reasonably assumed to have believed that she did. Given the clear consistency in their accounts, it's reasonably strong evidence that Evans didn't lie in his police statement and could thus be reasonably assumed to believe she consented. It's certainly enough to secure reasonable doubt and an acquittal, which was the entire point of the retrial.

Admitting such evidence clearly needs to be handled sensitively, but the idea it should never be admitted is clearly horseshit. The outrage from some quarters here suggests that they would rather have someone go through the rest of their lives as a convicted rapist than be - rightly - acquitted.

Smiffy
15-10-2016, 10:58 AM

leedsrevolution
15-10-2016, 11:07 AM
He wouldn't go near yours. She's a toad.

Well that's bloody rude.

Dquincy
15-10-2016, 12:19 PM
A sexy toad.

leedsrevolution
15-10-2016, 12:28 PM
A sexy toad.

Thank you. Forgiven.

Baz
15-10-2016, 12:35 PM

mugbull
15-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Two Ton Ted sounds like the name of a steam engine

Spammer
15-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Not sure if you should be posting that mate.

Dark Soldier
15-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Yeah bit of a cunt move Baz.

Boydy
15-10-2016, 02:34 PM
It's okay, I've reported him to the police. :baz:

Lewis
15-10-2016, 04:32 PM
lol at the lad telling him he's in contempt in the comments. He killed Benny Hill. Do you think he cares?

Shindig
15-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Whilst I do think people should be accountable for internet bullshit, her name's been out for at least 18 months.

Kikó
16-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Interestingly the CPS are the ones who cried rape not the girl who just said she didn't remember anything. If anything people should be angry at the police.

Giggles
16-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Interestingly the CPS are the ones who cried rape not the girl who just said she didn't remember anything. If anything people should be angry at the police.

They made her go through with the whole trial? Did they tell her what to say during it and all?

niko_cee
16-10-2016, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty sure she just testified that she didn't remember anything, didn't she?

GS
16-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Given he was convicted without the 'new evidence', it would seem there was a case to answer first time around and it was therefore fair to prosecute. That said, this whole issue seems to be seriously problematic from all sorts of angles so I doubt you can read too much into it from this one case.

elth
17-10-2016, 09:32 AM
The legal system seems to have got it right both times.

The coppers not so much. And Evans is a disgusting human being on his own evidence, so I dunno what his defenders are so heated up about.