PDA

View Full Version : Media Player Thread

Magic
02-10-2015, 08:38 AM
This probably has limited runtime but it isn't really suitable for any of the other threads.

What is your media setup? I currently have a WDTV Live which is on the fucking blink (ARGH), it's my most used device and it's utterly brilliant but I have to power cycle it every time I want to use it and it crashes through films. This is an absolute disaster for me. The worst of it is there isn't another device out there which plays as many formats, has a great menu/remote and plays subtitles and different audio files.

Is it time to move in to the world of streaming? Problem is I can't be arsed having a plex server on all the time and I don't want to buy another NAS. I just want a media player that will play everything that I throw at it.

Any ideas?

Giggles
02-10-2015, 08:41 AM
I have no idea what that is but for watching and listening to stuff I use my Nexus Player, either as a standalone device with the apps on it (Play Music, Youtube, Play Movies mainly) or by using it like a chromecast to stream files on my tablet.

Mazuuurk
02-10-2015, 08:41 AM
What is a Media Player even supposed to be?

I use VLC on my laptop, and connect that to my TV through a HDMI-cord or a Chromecast if I feel I need to.

The company I work for gives me a free streaming service, mostly for PL, so I use that quite a lot, and for films or other TV series I just download them to my laptop.

Angelsaint
02-10-2015, 08:44 AM
I have some questions, someone please answer:

WDTV?
Power cycle?
Plex server?

Wtf? I feel like a 90 yr old in the beginning of cell phones.

Magic
02-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Saint how are you supposed to impress bitches if you can't stream 4K movies from a NAS?

Angelsaint
02-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Saint how are you supposed to impress bitches if you can't stream 4K movies from a NAS?

I have a device I stream movies from a extern disk that as an Nas function. I never use it or came near. It is like the dark Forrest for me. We know it exists but we never go there or mention it.

Mazuuurk
02-10-2015, 08:51 AM
NAS device...?

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/artists/304x304/nas.jpg

Angelsaint
02-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Less mas, less...

Sir Andy Mahowry
02-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Three external HDD's with a Plex Server running.