PDA

View Full Version : Money, funds, and other such things

Giggles
28-09-2015, 02:16 PM
I've just cancelled my O2 Money card before it switches to 3 Money because of charges and after some research, I've gone for a Revolut card.

Anyone any experience of it to share?

Boydy
28-09-2015, 02:17 PM
I don't know what any of those things are.

Giggles
28-09-2015, 02:24 PM
I don't know what any of those things are.

The O2 Money card was a Visa that you topped up from your bank account via an app on the phone or your online banking. I had it for travelling in the States with work as the rates were decent and if it got skimmed I only would have lost what was on it. Plus I couldn't get a proper credit card at the time as I had only moved back to the country. It's also handy if buying online if you're in any way worried about how reputable a vendor is.
With O2 being swallowed up by 3, the Money end is the last thing that will change in November but their card will have a load more charges involved now and you have to cancel before that if you don't want it to automatically switch.

Revolut is just another of these but it has decent looking charges and a nicer phone app for transferring money separate from the physical card.

Josh
28-09-2015, 02:26 PM
I have the Halifax Clarity credit card for going abroad. Zero exchange fees and zero fees for withdrawing world wide. Surely thats easier than a top up card?

Boydy
28-09-2015, 02:28 PM
The O2 Money card was a Visa that you topped up from your bank account via an app on the phone or your online banking. I had it for travelling in the States with work as the rates were decent and if it got skimmed I only would have lost what was on it. Plus I couldn't get a proper credit card at the time as I had only moved back to the country. It's also handy if buying online if you're in any way worried about how reputable a vendor is.
With O2 being swallowed up by 3, the Money end is the last thing that will change in November but their card will have a load more charges involved now and you have to cancel before that if you don't want it to automatically switch.

Revolut is just another of these but it has decent looking charges and a nicer phone app for transferring money separate from the physical card.

I see.

I didn't realise 3 had taken over O2.

Giggles
28-09-2015, 02:30 PM
I have the Halifax Clarity credit card for going abroad. Zero exchange fees and zero fees for withdrawing world wide. Surely thats easier than a top up card?

Not if I buy something from a scammer in China for €50 and they take €1000. If I've only €55 on the topup card then that's all they can take. I know you can get it back from the credit card company but it's just added hassle, especially when the topup card can have funds put on it instantly.
Not to mention the fact we don't have Halifax here and none of our robbing bastard banks offer anything even close to that deal.

Giggles
28-09-2015, 02:32 PM
I see.

I didn't realise 3 had taken over O2.

Ah yes, now that I look it hasn't officially happened in the UK yet. Everything was done earlier in the year here bar the money end of the business.

Boydy
28-09-2015, 02:35 PM
So 3 have taken over O2 and EE and T-Mobile merged recently (with BT likely to take them over soon). Are there only two networks left now? Oh, Vodafone, I suppose. Does anyone still use them?

Giggles
28-09-2015, 02:40 PM
So 3 have taken over O2 and EE and T-Mobile merged recently (with BT likely to take them over soon). Are there only two networks left now? Oh, Vodafone, I suppose. Does anyone still use them?

They're by far the main one here anyway (Vodafone, that is). Though 3 are making big inroads because of the unlimited 4G offers they are doing.

Are Meteor in the UK? I think Eircom bought them here.

Toby
28-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Vodafone are big outside of cities, since they have the best basic 2G coverage. I think they're a bit rubbish for anything newer though.

Giggles
28-09-2015, 02:55 PM
They're a shower of robbing cunts.

Magic
28-09-2015, 02:57 PM
I find their 4G coverage hit and miss. When it's good it's fucking good though.

SGH
28-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Vodafone are the only network that work where I stay. I concur that they are a bunch of robbing cunts.

Boydy
28-09-2015, 06:25 PM
Where's that?

Also, who were you on TD?

Toby
28-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Yeah you little fucker, no newbies allowed, tell us your real name or walk the plank.

Pen
28-09-2015, 06:29 PM
I only have a debit card as I have absolutely no need for a credit card. That and mobile wallet/pay are more than enough for my simple financial needs. I do have a few accounts for different things, but never felt I need to more than that with my modest income.

Giggles
28-09-2015, 06:35 PM
There'll be another ice age before we ever see Google release Android pay here.

Pen
28-09-2015, 06:39 PM
The mobile pay app I use is from a local bank and it's available on android as well as ios. It's not even the bank I use, but they put the transfers through for all Finnish banks. Might be worth to have a look if there's something like that about in your end.

edit: I see you mean the apple pay thing now. Yeah, the one I'm on about is just handy when paying mates, splitting a bill, etc.

Giggles
28-09-2015, 06:43 PM
The mobile pay app I use is from a local bank and it's available on android as well as ios. It's not even the bank I use, but they put the transfers through for all Finnish banks. Might be worth to have a look if there's something like that about in your end.

edit: I see you mean the apple pay thing now. Yeah, the one I'm on about is just handy when paying mates, splitting a bill, etc.

No, Android Pay. Apple are competent enough to actually know there's civilisation in existence outside the United States

SGH
29-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Where's that?

Also, who were you on TD?

Island off the west coast of Scotland.

I was a nobody on TD. Didn't really post much though so that'll be why.

Boydy
29-09-2015, 09:02 AM
It's quite weird that a few lurkers seemed to have started posting now but it's good. Keep posting.

SGH
29-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Meh new page new me and all that.

Boydy
29-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Get an avatar up and properly commit.

Raoul Duke
29-09-2015, 07:23 PM
What was your username on TTH?

Magic
24-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Need to calm this shit down, given my DDs total about £15,000 for the year, plus cash spending too:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ngsoxs.jpg

Giggles
24-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Great way to keep up a credit rating that. Use the debit card for fuck all.

Lee
24-10-2015, 10:31 AM
It's amazing what you can spend if you don't really think about it. We're lucky enough that we can afford pretty much whatever we want but that makes you unbelievably lazy. We went back through bank statements a few of weeks back and we found we wasted hundreds just going to the supermarket to get food in several times per week just because we couldn't be arsed cooking. £700 a month on that shit. We've knocked it on the head so have saved lots in a short space of time and just buy fresh stuff weekly which we have to spend time together turning into meals, which obviously has other benefits.

I don't actually buy anything (substantive) more than I did when I was earning less than half what I do now, other than more expensive holidays, short breaks and a better seat at the football. Which is what sparked the looking at bank statements exercise.

Magic
24-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Indeed, plus I got hundreds of pounds of Tesco clubcard vouchers that I've doubled, tripled or quadrupled up depending on the offers.

Magic
24-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Great way to keep up a credit rating that. Use the debit card for fuck all.

As above, until you get hacked. :mad:

I've still not got my replacement cards FFS.