PDA

View Full Version : Social Media

Offshore Toon
23-07-2017, 10:40 PM
Which do you use? Also, what do you use them for? Instagram is probably the most useless of them all, though I have used it in the past. Does anybody upload pictures of their dinner? Air their dirty laundry on Facebook? Send celebrities abuse on Twitter? Dick pics on Snapchat?

Pleb
23-07-2017, 10:45 PM
No Turtle?

mugbull
23-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Facebook as a slightly more immersive iMessage, Snapchat as actual "social media" and LinkedIn for the jobz

Pen
24-07-2017, 02:12 AM
Facebook is pretty much the only one. I have a twitter account to see goals and lineups and an instagram account, but I don't really use that more than once a year. Whatsapp of course too if that counts.

Giggles
24-07-2017, 04:42 AM
I've only got LinkedIn and Twitter now. Closed Instagram a while back because of those story things and must be coming on a year without Facebook. Closing off that tripe was a good move.

I don't count instant messengers as social mrdia.

niko_cee
24-07-2017, 05:33 AM
None of the above, although I do have a twitter account set up by my wife as hers was annexed (and apparently then destroyed) by China.

Raoul Duke
24-07-2017, 06:21 AM
I have all of those in the poll (even a MySpace somewhere) but don't use SnapChat or Pinterest very much. The others probably daily.

I use Foursquare/Swarm as well, outside of the poll.

Jimmy Floyd
24-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Twitter only for me. Have never touched Facebook, so I don't even really understand what it is/how people use it.

Giggles
24-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Twitter only for me. Have never touched Facebook, so I don't even really understand what it is/how people use it.

It's for selective posts to make your life seem amazing to people you haven't seen in over a decade or have met once.

wullie
24-07-2017, 07:53 AM
The first three, with Instagram being a Flickr replacement. I've got a Youtube account and all that but I don't class it as a social media thing. Snapchat is the point where I was officially too old for new things.

Dave.
24-07-2017, 09:12 AM
I'm an infrequent user of Facebook and have a Twitter account but rarely use it.

Offshore Toon
24-07-2017, 09:42 AM
It's for selective posts to make your life seem amazing to people you haven't seen in over a decade or have met once.
Yeah, pretty much, but it's also very good for winding people up in certain groups. Jersey Good Or Bad Businesses is a right laugh sometimes.

Offshore Toon
24-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Does Reddit count? I've seen it referred to as social media, but I tend to use it more for news so I don't see it that way. While I've used Twitter for the same thing, I also had my mates on there so it still felt like social media. I suppose its the same as what Wullie said about YouTube. We all use YouTube, but I very rarely look at anything my mates have posted.

Andy
24-07-2017, 12:10 PM
I use Twitter the most, I've started using football rather than forums over the last couple of years. Don't post on any Saints forums anymore and it's very rare I'll post here.

Facebook I read through my feed a couple of times mostly out of habit and post very rarely. Messenger is useful and Facebook is greatmfor organising stuff.

Instagram I have started using recently, it reminds me of Facebook 8ish years ago before it became too mainstream and all the old people took over and made it dull.

Snapchat I use occasionally, mainly because all my friends use and I don't want to miss out.

They all have their place.

Offshore Toon
24-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Old people are great on Facebook. They barely understand how to use it yet take it so seriously.

Kikó
24-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn. I think I'm on LinkedIn the most these days. Some interesting articles beyond the recruiter bashing and inspirational quotes.

Spammer
24-07-2017, 01:18 PM
I use Facebook because it's too useful not to, although mostly Messenger and I only go on the website itself briefly just to see if I have any notifications. I don't really browse on there.

I watch videos on Youtube but don't comment so wouldn't include it on the list. I'm also on Reddit but go on maybe once every few weeks, same with LinkedIn.

Offshore Toon
24-07-2017, 01:41 PM
I used to waste too much time on Facebook, but www.messenger.com helped me out on that front. I still waste time elsewhere but it feels like a slightly more productive waste of time.

Giggles
24-07-2017, 01:56 PM
People should be using WhatsApp or hangouts these days anyway. Messenger is a bucket of mange.

Offshore Toon
24-07-2017, 02:10 PM
That requires getting everybody's number. People don't exchange numbers anymore, they add each other on Facebook.

mugbull
24-07-2017, 02:14 PM
People should be using WhatsApp or hangouts these days anyway. Messenger is a bucket of mange.

It's almost exactly the same thing as WhatsApp bro, except better actually because it's way better suited for big groups. U just don't have any other 50-somethings on FB to chat with so ur salty

Offshore Toon
24-07-2017, 02:17 PM
My only qualm with messenger is it puts an unnecessary amount of strain on my phone. Zuckerberg is definitely up to things I don't remember agreeing to. Its only Facebook and Messenger that make my phone suffer.

Giggles
24-07-2017, 02:17 PM
That requires getting everybody's number. People don't exchange numbers anymore, they add each other on Facebook.

Yeah there's a point in that I suppose. It does have the advantage of having cross device functionality too so you can pick up chats on a tablet or a PC too, which is where WhatsApp is shite. Needing a Facebook account is where it falls down for me though.

It's a power hungry fucker on a phone too and is going to be riddled with ads before long.

Adramelch
24-07-2017, 04:16 PM
My only qualm with messenger is it puts an unnecessary amount of strain on my phone. Zuckerberg is definitely up to things I don't remember agreeing to. Its only Facebook and Messenger that make my phone suffer.

WhatsApp puts more strain on my phone than messenger does. They're both quite "hungry" compared to other stuff like Viber/Telegram though.

igor_balis
24-07-2017, 04:55 PM
i find facebook useful because i have plenty of mates and acquaintances i never bothered to get the phone number of that i'll still end up chatting to every year or so or whatever. plus i can think of two times where i got laid directly as a result of keeping randoms on my friends list despite not talking to them in real life for about 5 years.

Bartholomert
24-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Facebook (as a messenger), GroupMe (to keep in contact with Fraternity alums / current events), and Snapchat (to flirt with girls).

Adamski
24-07-2017, 05:12 PM
I'd have thought you would be more of a Weibo man.