PDA

View Full Version : New rules, bitches! Including 30 minute halves!

Spammer
17-06-2017, 07:27 PM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

To be discussed anyway. Some are interesting, some are just FUCKING MENTAL AND WOULD ONLY BE SUGGESTED BY THE MENTALLY RETARDED OMG HOW DARE THEY FUCKING CUNTS RUINING THE WAY THINGS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ARGH

I'd love to see all of them implemented just for a world cup or something, just as an experiment. It'd be fascinating to watch.

To give this a wider purpose: what rules would you introduce?

I for one think that a triangle shaped pitch with three teams battling it out would be great fun.

Reg
17-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Ohh, the 30 minute halves are with the clock stopped when the ball goes out. Ehh, alright I guess. But part of football's appeal (compared to sports like tennis and cricket) is knowing almost exactly how long a match is going to be. With the clock stopping and "30 minute" halves, the duration would vary a lot more depending on how often the ball went out.

Spammer
17-06-2017, 07:45 PM
I'm sure it was proposed at one point that there should be three 30 minute periods of play. Can't think why it never went anywhere.

Shindig
17-06-2017, 07:53 PM
"The ball only stays in play for an hour so let's change the clock slightly so the ball stays in play for an hour."

FUCKING WHAT, MATE!?

Disco
17-06-2017, 07:59 PM
It would, at the very least, stop my dad moaning about extra time.

Spikey M
17-06-2017, 09:02 PM
ADDED TIME MULTI-BALLS.

It's happening.

https://youtu.be/sjI-qh37xf0

Reg
17-06-2017, 09:22 PM
a new rule allowing players to effectively pass to themselves or dribble the ball when taking a free-kick.
I do like that one.

It'd just be interesting to see how successful dribbles were, and it'd probably mean less of those year-long wait for taker to prepare before a shite freekick scenarios (which can be tedious, although sometimes funny).

Lewis
17-06-2017, 09:31 PM
They all sound crap, and whoever proposed them should be drummed out of the game for good.

randomlegend
17-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Load of total wank.

Giggles
17-06-2017, 09:38 PM
Might as well change something for the craic and see what happens.

Kikó
17-06-2017, 10:04 PM
I'd like to see them replace the ball with smaller green balls and instead have two players go head to head to hit it over a net of some sort.

ItalAussie
18-06-2017, 01:41 AM
I like the idea of just stopping the clock when the ball goes out. It's so straightforward that even US sports figured it out.

Time-wasting is a cancer on the sport, and something has to be done about it.

EDIT: Of course, it has its own associated problems, when one team takes three minutes to complete a throw-in so everyone can get a breather, and they can fit in some sponsor advertisements while it's happening.

"Ths enforced television mid-half throw-in break brought to you by Bud Light. Truly the Lightest of Buds."

John
18-06-2017, 01:48 AM
You can't really cite American sports as a good example when it comes to timekeeping. Their six hundred breaks are so regimented and built into the sports that some of them have official sponsors.

John Arne
18-06-2017, 03:12 AM
Time wasting is horrid - but so easy to fix. The ref gives the captain a warning and then simply books any player to time waste from that point onwards - it should be happening already.
I saw one ref in the Asian Champions League take the approach, and lo and behold, after two bookings - players stopped time wasting.

Spikey M
18-06-2017, 07:31 AM
If Football starts turning into American Football then I am out quick time. I don't really need to hear Jamie Redknapps view on why that goal kick went out for a throw in.

wullie
19-06-2017, 08:06 AM
I like the one about a goal kick being taken on the side the ball goes out, if it's enforced at a corner I'm not sure why a keeper's allowed to amble across the area and take an hour to put the ball back into play.

Jimmy Floyd
19-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Goal kicks taking forever is the great unremarked scourge of the sport.

One change I would introduce is banning sub keepers unless they come on for the originally nominated keeper - i.e. if your goalkeeper is sent off, an outfield player must go in.

Giggles
19-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Tie one arm behind the keepers backs for extra time too, for added comedic value.

Disco
19-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Time wasting is horrid - but so easy to fix. The ref gives the captain a warning and then simply books any player to time waste from that point onwards - it should be happening already.
I saw one ref in the Asian Champions League take the approach, and lo and behold, after two bookings - players stopped time wasting.

The problem here is that, as with all flavour of the month crackdowns, it lasts for a month or two and is then forgotten or quietly brushed under the rug when a big club is adversely affected. Doing otherwise would require actually thinking about and sensibly reforming how the game is officiated.

John Arne
19-06-2017, 09:42 AM
I like the one about a goal kick being taken on the side the ball goes out, if it's enforced at a corner I'm not sure why a keeper's allowed to amble across the area and take an hour to put the ball back into play.

Interestingly (or dull), iirc any free-kick inside the 6 yard box can be taken from anywhere in the area. But yeah, I would agree with that rule change.

John Arne
19-06-2017, 09:44 AM
The problem here is that, as with all flavour of the month crackdowns, it lasts for a month or two and is then forgotten or quietly brushed under the rug when a big club is adversely affected. Doing otherwise would require actually thinking about and sensibly reforming how the game is officiated.

Well yeah, of course. Any rule needs to be correctly and consistently applied. Such as the pushing in the box that last about 3 weeks - it wasn't the rule that was wrong - it was the ref's not enforcing it throughout the season.

Disco
19-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Well yeah, of course. Any rule needs to be correctly and consistently applied. Such as the pushing in the box that last about 3 weeks - it wasn't the rule that was wrong - it was the ref's not enforcing it throughout the season.

I think it goes deeper than that, the whole system needs reworking in order to give officials the authority to enforce rules. Right now you have governing bodies who only want to give the appearance of cracking down on certain things without actuually going to the trouble of doing so.

randomlegend
19-06-2017, 10:03 AM
One change I would introduce is banning sub keepers unless they come on for the originally nominated keeper - i.e. if your goalkeeper is sent off, an outfield player must go in.

Why on earth would you want that?

Jimmy Floyd
19-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Why on earth would you want that?

Because outfield players going in goal is much more fun than some jobbing twat coming off the bench.

Spikey M
19-06-2017, 10:38 AM
I reckon all players should be allowed to act as the goalkeeper when in their own area. :drool:

Ian
19-06-2017, 10:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=79NLmSokD2I&gl=GB

:drool:

Jimmy Floyd
19-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Another option that came to mind was doing away with goalkeepers altogether. Do you leave two back on the line to prevent the long range strike, or get them into midfield and win the ball back?

Pen
19-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Playing with rushers :drool:

The 30 minute halves I kind of understand, but as someone mentioned it wouldn't probably affect time wasting that much as the team under heavy pressure would probably still use breaks to catch their breath.

Disco
19-06-2017, 11:14 AM
I think the main advantage would be that everyone would know how much time was left, at the moment it's down to the whims of the referee.

randomlegend
19-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Because outfield players going in goal is much more fun than some jobbing twat coming off the bench.

Let's have any sent-off player having to be replaced by one from the wrong position then.

We could have had Neville Southall on the wing :drool:

Yevrah
19-06-2017, 12:13 PM
From video refereeing to 30 minute halves, there seems to be a bit of a crusade to slow the game down at the moment, which should be guarded against at (almost) all cost.

ItalAussie
19-06-2017, 01:20 PM
From video refereeing to 30 minute halves, there seems to be a bit of a crusade to slow the game down at the moment, which should be guarded against at (almost) all cost.

I totally agree with this, actually. This is the most important thing for football to remember. Everything else is secondary.

-james-
19-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Why are "they" trying slow the game down?

SvN
19-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Adverts.

Disco
19-06-2017, 02:53 PM
How does 30 minute halves slow it down, by my reckoning that's 1/3 faster than it is now.

Pepe
19-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Since time stops, there is no rush to take that throw in. Might as well go get a drink while we see the match highlights sponsored by McDonalds.

wullie
19-06-2017, 02:57 PM
It's based on the ball only being in play for 60 mins or so at the moment so a match itself would theoretically last as long, but if they're stopping the clock every time play stops there's less urgency to get the game going again plus gives rise to the possibility of added commercial stoppages.

Disco
19-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Whereas now you get to watch Wayne Rooney doing up his laces for twenty minutes. Gripping.