PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Drinking?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Baz
30-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I bought a crate of that a while ago and it was alright.

On the subject, I'm just working my way through a box of Bad Co (http://wearebad.co/product/mixed-12-pack/) stuff and I think I'm going to try the milk stout. Rest of it has been pretty decent.Their cans are amazing. The way they open, I mean. Miles better drinking out of a cup than through the little hole a normal ringpull gives you.

I rated Wild Gravity a 4.5 (out of 5) on Untappd, so you’ve done well there.

Edit: Boston Tea Party was a 2.75, but it did get hot tub water in it, because of the aforementioned opening system.

Giggles
30-10-2018, 07:49 PM
https://i.imgur.com/HhZ07ZT.jpg

niko_cee
30-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Their cans are amazing. The way they open, I mean. Miles better drinking out of a cup than through the little hole a normal ringpull gives you.

I rated Wild Gravity a 4.5 (out of 5) on Untappd, so you’ve done well there.

Yeah, I've not had a sippy can for ages and they are good.

The stout is also very decent.

Ian
30-10-2018, 08:52 PM
I believe that's what they refer to as a '360 can' and first time I got one it nearly melted my damn mind.

Was in Shilling in Glasgow tonight. Comfortably a better selection than Brewdog these days.

Baz
09-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Ever had Big Wave. It’s a delicious lager but there seems to be a ridiculous rule in the UK that it must be £5 a pint. Up north that’s quite a lot and the first time I ever had it, in newcastle, they warned me it was £5 before pulling it. Well now I have a good piece of memorabilia.

https://i.imgur.com/wxbgZhf.jpg

Magic
09-11-2018, 09:59 PM
Dead Man's Fingers and Arbikie Vodka.

Spikey M
09-11-2018, 10:02 PM
The glass says 'pint' on it so why does it look so big? Do you have girl hands?

Ian
10-11-2018, 12:43 AM
I assume Big Wave as a pint is expensive because it's from the other side of the world and I'd speculate that Hawaii doesn't have that much room for breweries big enough to churn out loads of draught beer.

And if you'll allow me to go full nerd it's also not a lager, which it even says on that glass you're holding in your tiny hand.

mugbull
10-11-2018, 01:09 AM
All the stuff from Kona brewing co is really good, I get them every week for casual drinking. Longboard for instance, oowee

Baz
10-11-2018, 07:42 AM
I don’t even know why I said that, cos I never drink lager. Must’ve been the ale talking. :baz:

Ian
10-11-2018, 01:48 PM
I knew there was a brewery calling Lickinghole Creek, I did not know they are from a place in Virginia called "Goochland."

Anyway, their 11.5% Heir Apparent stout is magic.

igor_balis
10-11-2018, 08:39 PM
I had a pint of guinness for lunch before my date to settle my nerves. Really nothing can beat it if you're in the mood for it.

Giggles
25-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Tesco had some Boyne Brewhouse stuff on offer so I got some Oatmeal Stout and some Saison (no idea). Also picked up some Guinness Milk Stout, Guinness Rye IPA, and the new O'Hara's Session IPA.

Giggles
27-11-2018, 01:45 PM
What are the best online wine shops over there? Looking for some Mavrud but not a drop to be got here.

Ian
27-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Beer Hawk and Eebria are the ones I know.

I just got excited for a bottle of Delirium I got in the shop by the apartment I'm in as it's the first beer I've seen here that isn't just another Spanish lager. Unless I go to one ofnthe tourist traps and drink Guinness.

Pepe
28-11-2018, 05:43 PM
Delirium. :drool:

Giggles
28-11-2018, 05:47 PM
That Saison was lovely. It's basically a session IPA under a different name but it's good.

Ian
28-11-2018, 08:54 PM
I'm not looking forward to much about being in Scotland rather than here but fucking hell I miss decent beer.

Ian
28-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Paulaner Salvator. :drool:

Baz
29-11-2018, 08:04 AM
After a keg for Christmas Day.

My dads already picked up this one:

https://duetogsaij514.cloudfront.net/images/products/11/LN_461665_BP_11.jpg

But he’s under the impression we’ll need two. They’re all £27 on BeerHawk which seems a bit steep considering that one was £16.

Any suggestions anyway? Summat different to that.

Saw this one on morrisons but I’m worried it might go down like a lead ballon with me and my dad:

https://groceries.morrisons.com/productImages/392/392304011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=51b48ce4299efff 30b42ba4e03fa552a

Giggles
29-11-2018, 08:05 AM
How big are they? You'd need to buy a new fridge just for them.

Baz
29-11-2018, 08:10 AM
How big are they? You'd need to buy a new fridge just for them.
Store them outside, and you get about nine pints iirc.

niko_cee
29-11-2018, 08:28 AM
That Pale Aura was decent when I had it in the Bad Co box I posted about a while ago.

Spikey M
29-11-2018, 10:17 AM
3.8%. It's sub-Carling shite Baz.

phonics
29-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Those kegs are fucking awful. Most of the time you're getting a flat beer with 90% head.

Spikey M
29-11-2018, 10:43 AM
I've only had one, but I can only verify Phonics findings. Just get a few boxes of cans in.

niko_cee
29-11-2018, 10:59 AM
The only time I've had one I was flummoxed by the fact I was supposed to have opened (or done something to) it 24 hours in advance of wanting a beer. They should really make that clearer.

I think it was Ghost Ship, and cans would have been a better choice.

Baz
29-11-2018, 01:17 PM
It's for Christmas Day though, and has become part of family tradition to get a keg and the three of us fight it in the kitchen, trying to get a decent pint.

I wasn't drinking last year though, so it wasn't as good. This year I'm back involved, although still taking it easy. I reckon I can muster five pints over the course of the day before being told off.

John
30-11-2018, 08:38 AM
If you want to be pouring pints at home you should get a 'Sub', one of those home draft jobs. They could really do with expanding their range of available beers, but even a pint of Moretti from one of those is going to seem like a holy liquid compared to what you're getting in one of those skanky supermarket kegs.

Mazuuurk
30-11-2018, 09:00 AM
The fuck's wrong with Moretti now?

SvN
30-11-2018, 10:26 AM
I think Moretti is lovely.

Kikó
30-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Another on the Moretti fan club.

Mike
30-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Moretti is great.

Our first few years with those kegs we did get mostly head in our beers, last year though we finally nailed it and it was great!
It’s also good fun to just be pouring your Christmas pints. Last year we even had a cider one that The Reid and my Mum polished off while playing Monopoly :cool2:

phonics
30-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Moretti is great.

Our first few years with those kegs we did get mostly head in our beers, last year though we finally nailed it and it was great!
It’s also good fun to just be pouring your Christmas pints. Last year we even had a cider one that The Reid and my Mum polished off while playing Monopoly :cool2:

If you just like the novelty factor of the pouring just get boxed wine. At least you're suitably prepared for the disappointment.

Mike
30-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Then we have to drink wine though.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
04-12-2018, 06:01 PM
More into my cider these days and tried something called Harry Master's in a Brewdog pub in Edinburgh. Absolutely glorious.

igor_balis
04-12-2018, 06:04 PM
I do like cider but I can never drink more than a pint without feeling awful these days, I think it must be the sugar. In my alchier days, if a pub was serving 6%+ flat cider I'd knock back pint after pint. Absolute gut rot and I don't think I ever managed to get through the next day without violent diarrhea but yet I still have a weird nostalgia about it.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
04-12-2018, 06:13 PM
I had bad heartburn the next day but that was about it to be fair.

I wish it was more popular as the choices in many pubs are still the pisswater that is Magners/Bulmers or some stupidly sweet concoction.

That being said, I had pear Magners recently and that was actually very good, nowhere near as sweet as typical pear ciders and all the better for it.

igor_balis
04-12-2018, 06:17 PM
We're quite lucky around here, most of the pubs will have a "real" cider on tap, and one usually has about 5 on, one of which tends to be about 10%. :drool: :sick:

Giggles
04-12-2018, 06:23 PM
I can't get the cider I had in Wales here and nothing is remotely as nice.

Manc
04-12-2018, 06:30 PM
All about red these days. Slowly climbing the quality ladder.

phonics
04-12-2018, 06:36 PM
I'd like to ask a theory that I've been experiencing for the last couple of years that makes no sense but I can't figure anything else.

Why can I go back to my flat and drink 4 cans in a couple of hours and be fine/a bit pished and yet feel like I've arrived at that point after one/two pint(s) at a pub, company or no?

It's stopped me from going out quite a bit recently but doesn't actually stop me from drinking because I just do it at home where it doesn't get out of hand so quickly. Which just makes me a shutout who drinks on his own. The worst two genders.

Manc
04-12-2018, 06:43 PM
Sounds grim.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
04-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Are you moving about more in the pub, on your feet etc. so it feels more obvious?

I find I can be half way through a drink and I can tell I've had alcohol. Always makes me wonder about those who have a pint then jump in the car.

igor_balis
04-12-2018, 07:09 PM
I'd like to ask a theory that I've been experiencing for the last couple of years that makes no sense but I can't figure anything else.

Why can I go back to my flat and drink 4 cans in a couple of hours and be fine/a bit pished and yet feel like I've arrived at that point after one/two pint(s) at a pub, company or no?

It's stopped me from going out quite a bit recently but doesn't actually stop me from drinking because I just do it at home where it doesn't get out of hand so quickly. Which just makes me a shutout who drinks on his own. The worst two genders.

Interestingly (or not), me and my mum were talking about this the other day, but the opposite. We agreed that when we've had a couple of cans/glasses of wine at home we've felt pretty battered, but have drank twice that with pals out and about and feel nowhere near as drunk. I've always assumed the low-level nervous energy of interacting with people combined with not wanting to seem like a drunk idiot after 2 pints of john smiths sobers me up a bit.

igor_balis
04-12-2018, 07:11 PM
The empty stomach drinking is the worst modifier for booze though. I never really feel drunker quicker, but the speed with which my motor skills and general self-control wears off is palpable. After pint 3 on Saturday night I felt mostly sober, but ended up knocking over a chair in the smoking area and getting all the waAAAAYYYSssss!!! from the lads nearby. How embarrassing!!

Spikey M
04-12-2018, 07:25 PM

Are we talking standard cans? They're smaller than pints, so that might account for it. Or you're just drinking quicker when out and about.

I notice the opposite usually though.

phonics
04-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Are we talking standard cans? They're smaller than pints, so that might account for it. Or you're just drinking quicker when out and about.

I notice the opposite usually though.

Not here. 50cl 5.5% cans is the standard which you'd think pubs would water down.

Mike
04-12-2018, 07:53 PM
I have a friend who switched to ordering a half rather than a pint. If you can take the mocking give that a go when out?

I actually picked up a bottle of cider on the way home cos I’ve a sore throat and it’s my mums answer to a sore throat.

Mazuuurk
04-12-2018, 08:02 PM
I reckon you just drink a lot quicker in a Pub. Louder, so if you have company you drink to quench your thirst from half shouting (sometimes). And you're there with the pint right there in front of you by a table, it's just very accessible (compared to lying in your sofa or whatever and being a bit half arsed about reaching the coffee table).

Also, I reckon you may eat more snacks at home (unless you're having a meal at the pub) and you likely are better at having the odd glass of water or two (whereas when out, again, you only use beer or drinks to quench thirst).

phonics
04-12-2018, 09:09 PM
I reckon you just drink a lot quicker in a Pub. Louder, so if you have company you drink to quench your thirst from half shouting (sometimes). And you're there with the pint right there in front of you by a table, it's just very accessible (compared to lying in your sofa or whatever and being a bit half arsed about reaching the coffee table).

Also, I reckon you may eat more snacks at home (unless you're having a meal at the pub) and you likely are better at having the odd glass of water or two (whereas when out, again, you only use beer or drinks to quench thirst).

1. Nope
2. Nope

niko_cee
04-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Crippling social anxiety impairing your ability to judge level of intoxication accurately?

I tend to find pub-paced consumption to be greater, and more sustained than home alone pace. Especially if you are in a round and so not entirely operating at your own pace. You essentially drink more overall and/or more quickly, both of which get you to point B earlier than expected.

Or your drinks are being spiked.

Ian
06-12-2018, 08:56 PM
I got one of these as my leaving present from my previous job: https://uk.the-sub.com/the-sub-compact-edition.html

Including the beer "torps" I've got to go with it they've obviously collected about £75 for me so I've done quite well.

Meanwhile I got a Beer Hawk order today. Currently drinking a bottle of Leffe Radieuse and it's pretty decent.

Giggles
06-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Never seen those before. A beer nespresso, want.

Ian
06-12-2018, 09:21 PM
Yeah I'm gonna buy a bunch more of the kegs and live it up over Christmas

Bam
06-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Do you have to order them torps from that website or can you buy them in shops?

Ian
06-12-2018, 09:27 PM
There might be shops that do them but I'll probably order them off the site as most often I'll be using it at family things I know about in advance anyway rather than just kicking about the house.

Spikey M
06-12-2018, 09:58 PM
How much is a pint?

niko_cee
06-12-2018, 10:10 PM
About £2 (is what they say) although that price probably drops on the bundles (about 32 pints for £60 and 64 pints for just over £100).

So not bad, but, also, twice the price of normal home drinking.

Spikey M
06-12-2018, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I'll just stick with cans.

Bam
06-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Pikey

Ian
06-12-2018, 10:58 PM
£2 a pint is probably pretty good value compared to my usual nerd beer.

On which note, Abbaye des Rocs 'Speciale Noel' is lovely stuff.

John
07-12-2018, 10:55 AM
I got one of these as my leaving present from my previous job: https://uk.the-sub.com/the-sub-compact-edition.html

Including the beer "torps" I've got to go with it they've obviously collected about £75 for me so I've done quite well.

Meanwhile I got a Beer Hawk order today. Currently drinking a bottle of Leffe Radieuse and it's pretty decent.

Got one of those a while ago, they're great. I think I mentioned it on here pretty recently actually.

SvN
07-12-2018, 11:27 AM
They look great, but the beer seems really expensive. Am I doing my maths wrong, or is it more than £4 per pint?

SvN
07-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Yep, I was. It's around £2.20 a pint, which is more reasonable.

The problem I have is that you can buy those big 660ml bottles for around £1.70 in supermarkets, which I find just as enjoyable as getting a draught pint. I'm probably not the target market, to be fair.

John
07-12-2018, 11:32 AM
There's Moretti, which you mentioned really liking.

I bought one of the mixed packs when I got it and they're all basically nice. It's a freezing cold draught pint at home, even Heineken is decent under those circumstances.

SvN
07-12-2018, 11:33 AM
I'm going to get one for the office. Our Christmas party is in a couple of weeks and I think it'll go down a storm.

John
07-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Good idea. Get the torps in the fridge the night before you plan on using it. The Sub does cool them down and keep them cold, but it takes ages if they're not already chilled.

Ian
07-12-2018, 12:43 PM
If they've been in whatever default fridge temperature is overnight how long do they then take to cool?

John
07-12-2018, 01:19 PM
If they've been in whatever default fridge temperature is overnight how long do they then take to cool?

Default fridge temperature won't be far from what they pour at anyway, so not long at all.

Mazuuurk
07-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Made myself a nice Old Fashioned. I can drink an infinite amount of those.

Spikey M
07-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Made myself a nice Old Fashioned. I can drink an infinite amount of those.

Have you ever had Glayva?

Giggles
08-12-2018, 02:25 PM
They do some very nice beer but not a hope I'm ever darkening the door of it. The decor looks like the inside of Mike's head.

https://rascalsbrewing.com

Mazuuurk
11-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Have you ever had Glayva?

I have not, what is it exactly..?

Spikey M
11-12-2018, 08:20 PM
I have not, what is it exactly..?

Whisky sweetened with honey and some other stuff. If you like an Old Fashioned you will almost certainly enjoy it.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/5237/glayva-liqueur

Mazuuurk
11-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Hmm. Maybe, might be OK but I generally tend to struggle with stuff with Honey in it (I do love honey as much as anyone in my tea of on a scone or whatever, but not so much in cocktails for some reason).

Spikey M
11-12-2018, 08:43 PM
If you get the chance, give it a go. I love the stuff and I don't like honey.

Mazuuurk
11-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Will do :thbup:

Not sure where the hell I'll find it here tho, but I'll keep an eye open.

Ian
13-12-2018, 08:52 PM
Got a bit giddy in Good Spirits Co today. Siren have THREE variants of their Caribbean Chocolate Cake stout out that I've never had before and Merchant City have both a DIPA and a stout barrel aged in Glenfarclas out. Got all of them and considered it restraint when I didn't get Merchant City's sour cherry imperial stout as well.

Really curious about the whisky barrel aged IPA.

igor_balis
13-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Missed out on Nectar D'or @ £30 during black friday sales! Quite gutted, really.

Tonight to celebrate being off work until next Thursday (and my birthday on Monday) I'm getting pissed on cans of Kronenbourg tonight. Plus the cheap bottle of wine the lovely 40-something customer who looks a bit like a gypsy gave me for xmas the other day.

Jimmy Floyd
13-12-2018, 09:48 PM
Missed out on Nectar D'or @ £30 during black friday sales! Quite gutted, really.

I read this a few times and decided it must be a racehorse before spotting what thread I was in.

igor_balis
13-12-2018, 10:01 PM
I read this a few times and decided it must be a racehorse before spotting what thread I was in.

:D

Gambling addiction is one of the few vices I've escaped, actually. During university I got far too into it. I got sky sports on a whim at the start of 2nd year, then realised I didn't really give a shit about random prem games like I did West Brom games, so figured putting random bets on games would be an easy way to artificially recreate that jeopardy. It didn't make me enjoy the games anymore, just feel shit when I lost the bets.

Towards the end of 2nd year I put a totally ridiculous £20 on Man City beating Spurs 3-2 during the throes of an MDMA comedown, it came in for about £400, and I cashed out and I've not gambled more than about £50 in the 7 years since then.

mugbull
14-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Gambling is totally ridiculous imo, go to Vegas once and play some poker if you want that high, at least you're actually doing something fun.

Ian
14-12-2018, 07:20 PM
Debating whether to get in about the good shit I bought yesterday or to leave it for the weekend proper. Had a couple of good ones in Shilling so wondering whether I should just lager my way through the rest of the evening.

Giggles
15-12-2018, 05:14 PM
This is getting very close to being opened.

http://i66.tinypic.com/nb20b6.png

Spikey M
15-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Problem is, once you open something like that it's impossible not to Pringle the lot of them.

Giggles
15-12-2018, 05:30 PM
That could possibly occur.

Spikey M
15-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Report back.

I might have to go on an excursion to Tesco.

Giggles
15-12-2018, 05:46 PM
I'm finishing a couple of 1601's first anyway. They could be enough even though I know most of what's in the basket is nicer.

Ian
15-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Think I'm going to get stuck into these Caribbean Chocolate Cake variants once I get in the house. :nodd:

Giggles
20-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Trying some GF ones lately. That World Top Scarborough Fair IPA is very nice.

Ian
31-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Last wanky beer of 2018 is Windswept's Wolf of Glen Moray - Port Cask Finish. I have high hopes.

Trying some GF ones lately. That World Top Scarborough Fair IPA is very nice.

Missed this post but that's one I keep an eye out for because I had it years ago and loved it.

Shindig
01-01-2019, 12:13 AM
Man, drinking Aberlour at shot rates doesn't half lead to a delayed reaction. It's definitely my Christmas tipple and I'm still fine with it but there's a couple of things with the aftermath I kinda hate. Namely re-hydrating myself and feeling slightly off the day after. I guess working late has saved me a little of the bother. It shouldn't be so bad.

Spikey M
01-01-2019, 12:17 AM
Man, drinking Glayva whilst standing with my hand on a 10 week olds tummy to stop the Fireworks sending him over the edge.

Giggles
01-01-2019, 12:20 AM
I got even more Coole Swan. It's fucking epic out it binds your shit up like a tennis ball.

Kikó
01-01-2019, 12:47 AM
Local Chilean lager - decent enough
https://i.ibb.co/4R47VWv/IMG-20181231-214101.jpg

Ian
15-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Cloudwater have done a red wine barrel aged chocolate porter. Oooh yes.

Ian
04-02-2019, 10:56 PM
Kees "Caramel Fudge Stout", aged in Woodford barrels. Oh my goodness.

Queenslander
05-02-2019, 09:09 AM
The local has Coors pints for $5 which is pretty much free.

Spikey M
05-02-2019, 12:19 PM
I don't think I've ever tried Coors. Is it as bad as I imagine it to be?

niko_cee
05-02-2019, 12:24 PM
It's like bud light iirc, or, really, most big brand American lagers.

So, you know, either tolerable or the worst thing since Hitler, depending on your view point.

Baz
05-02-2019, 12:32 PM
I don't think I've ever tried Coors. Is it as bad as I imagine it to be?Its the only 5 out of 5 beer rated on my Untappd. :moop: Courtesy of Mike

Mike
05-02-2019, 04:07 PM
With the review “not as good as Bud Light” :cool2:

Queenslander
05-02-2019, 10:38 PM
I don't think I've ever tried Coors. Is it as bad as I imagine it to be?

It is very watered down but for a summer beer in Brisbane it is perfect. Very easy drinking for most people I reckon.

Ian
09-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Had anything by Whiplash, Giggles? Just drinking their excellent Scaldy Porter.

Raoul Duke
09-02-2019, 09:41 PM
My Beer52 box this month is from Korea. Some lovely stuff so far.

Giggles
09-02-2019, 09:58 PM
Had anything by Whiplash, Giggles? Just drinking their excellent Scaldy Porter.

My hands are a bit tied with what I can drink these days. It's mainly a mixture of World Top, 9 White Deer (they've a lovely stout), and Thatchers Haze.

Ian
09-02-2019, 11:19 PM
My Beer52 box this month is from Korea. Some lovely stuff so far.

Whaaat?

Damn my only getting them quarterly.

Ian
16-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Tiny Rebel's birthday collab with Yeastie Boys to make a strong Belgian pomegranate and molasses ale is ace.

As is Brewdog Old World Russian Imperial Stout ( Queenslander ), like a dark chocolate orange but booze.

Baz
16-02-2019, 09:41 PM
Had a bottle of “Efes Draft” tonight. Not the usual Efes, which i like anyway, but it was even better and really really nice.

Giggles
16-02-2019, 09:53 PM
I've a few bottles of Wicklow Wolf Arcadia. 9 for €27 and it's very nice.

Spikey M
16-02-2019, 10:23 PM
Had a bottle of “Efes Draft” tonight. Not the usual Efes, which i like anyway, but it was even better and really really nice.

I don't really do Larger, but Efes is great.

In Turkey, I assume because most of them aren't meant to drink, they sell it in massive cans. They must be about pint and a half each. Usually about 75p a pop as well. :drool:

Spikey M
16-02-2019, 10:26 PM
http://www.birafiyatlari.com/res/gorsel/5b028511b7.jpg

Baz
25-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Might be going a beer festival on Friday. Just looking at the ale (https://beerfestival.wigancamra.org.uk/real-ale/) and foreign beers (https://beerfestival.wigancamra.org.uk/foreign-beers-2/) on offer.

Banoffee Bitter seems like a winner. :drool:

Also the whole event is actively encouraging rating all the beers on Untappd, which is something I do all the time anyway, so I won't look like a mug stopping to take a pic of my beer.

Ian
25-02-2019, 02:38 PM
Wait, you take a picture of every one? Even I think that's nerdy.

EDIT: Also if you like the dark stuff get yourself in about some Broken Dream by Siren.

Baz
25-02-2019, 02:41 PM
I try to (https://untappd.com/user/baz9torres/photos) but sometimes I forget.

Mike
05-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Got some Maltsmiths larger, not bad at all!

Queenslander
08-03-2019, 10:00 AM
So I was at the Australian National tonight and there was this loose carnt losing in the TAB and abusing everyone in sight. So I told me bartender mate so he called a fucking bikie to escort him out... I may have dobbed on some tragic cunt who then got the fucked beaten out of him. I have never felt more of a Queenslander in my life!!!

Jimmy Floyd
08-03-2019, 11:26 AM
If you'd posted a picture of a racist kangaroo that post could not have been more Australian.

Queenslander
08-03-2019, 11:58 AM
If you'd posted a picture of a racist kangaroo that post could not have been more Australian.

Jugs of Gold has made me as close to retarded as possible...

Ian
15-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Starting the sitting-in-the-house-drinking festivities with Fionn by White Hag. A double IPA and it's damn tasty.

Got some imperials waiting for me too. :drool:

Giggles
15-03-2019, 08:49 PM
:drool: White Hag.

Jimmy Floyd
15-03-2019, 09:38 PM
Are Fionn and White Hag women or drinks or both?

Shindig
15-03-2019, 09:40 PM
They were giving out bottled Guinness at work today. I think it's making me like Guinness again. EDIT: Nevermind, it's Guinness XX I like.

Ian
15-03-2019, 11:21 PM
:drool: White Hag.

They are excellent. I think my favourite Irish brewery.

Are Fionn and White Hag women or drinks or both?

It's me so if they are women that is sadly not what I'm indulging in.

Giggles
15-03-2019, 11:23 PM
They are excellent. I think my favourite Irish brewery.

Check out Boyne Brewhouse if you see it anywhere.

Ian
16-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Another one I had last night was Left Handed Giant "Deeper Water", which must be up there with just about the tastiest stouts I've had at a normal strength. Only 5% or so but it was fucking lovely.

Check out Boyne Brewhouse if you see it anywhere.

I've had an imperial stout aged in sherry casks by them and it was lovely.

Galway Bay are excellent too, in my experience.
Tried and failed to embed a picture of their outstanding 200 Fathoms imperial stout there. It's brilliant.

Ian
17-03-2019, 10:27 PM
Two cracking stouts to end the weekend on. Neon Raptor "Jaffa Cake Milk Stout" and Lervig "Toasted Maple Stout", an imperial.

I've had a couple of imperial stouts by Lervig now and these guys know what they're doing. Great stuff.

Giggles
17-03-2019, 10:28 PM
Not if it contained the last drop of drink in existence...

Spikey M
17-03-2019, 10:29 PM
Fucking hell.

Ian
23-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Edit: I have major issues trying to post images on here from my.phone, but I'm drinking this and it's ace.

https://ibb.co/gVLRTGV

Baz
01-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Another beer festival lined up for the weekend, which coincides nicely with the Grand National.

List of beers (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQjN3PsQWsWSrkMmxdvNfm-PckxpVd9_LPZjXOZZXG-rjSwr-M9LSOo-aS3YvqkQv3OVVTH5LdHt9y3/pubhtml?gid=1013007410&single=true).

Anyone ever had Oracle? It's the most sessiony session ale ever. Tempted to bookend every pint with it. :drool:

Ian
01-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Jarl is also very sessionable. Not that it's really weak enough to be a proper session beer but I tried that Pump Up the Jam recently which is there too and rather liked it.

I like the sound of that Gingerbread Milk Stout and the Oatmeal Express.

Mazuuurk
01-04-2019, 02:24 PM
I'm well into Session Pale Ales recently. I just like drinking a few beers and these days I can't handle those double IPA's with like 8% alcohol in them.

Giggles
14-04-2019, 01:21 PM
Having a few World Top Against the Grain. Nice and light.

Giggles
18-04-2019, 03:54 PM
Ireland is 70 today so gluten be damned I'm sitting down to my second pint of Smithwicks after work to celebrate. I forgot how nice it was.

Ian
18-04-2019, 04:49 PM
I got a thing from Beer52 that gets me discounts and such in brewery taprooms but somewhat predictably it's not all that much use if you live anywhere other than the South East of England.

Giggles
19-04-2019, 06:30 AM
What the fuck are you even meant to do with that?

https://i.imgur.com/gDqmWuH.jpg

Shindig
19-04-2019, 06:36 AM
Post a picture of it.

mugbull
19-04-2019, 06:39 AM
Nice manicure Gigs

Spikey M
19-04-2019, 08:38 AM
My mans nail game. :cool:

igor_balis
19-04-2019, 11:37 PM
vodka and sainsburys diet cloudy lemonade, pretty good

Baz
11-05-2019, 05:58 PM
In a bar in Liverpool where you enter through a phonebox and my wife’s cocktail arrived in a shoe ornament. :cab:

Ian
11-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Leave immediately.

Giggles
11-05-2019, 06:02 PM
I'm on the Sierra Nevada.

Mike
11-05-2019, 06:19 PM
In a bar in Liverpool where you enter through a phonebox and my wife’s cocktail arrived in a shoe ornament. :cab:

Sounds like the Blob Shop has gone upmarket?

Baz
11-05-2019, 07:40 PM
Leave immediately.:D

I had a bottle of Lucky Buddha beer which is absolutely minging.

Shindig
11-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Sounds like some Eyes Wide Shut shit's about to go down. Abandon ship, Baz.

Ian
11-05-2019, 09:46 PM
Yeah Lucky Buddha is pretty shit.

I'm on Brewdog vs. Fierce's "Neighbourhood." Imperial stout with some blackcurrant through it. Pretty swish.

Baz
11-05-2019, 10:14 PM
It was the only beer they did in there, unless I wanted Hop House 13 on draught.

Later went to another wanky cocktail place (Alchemist) and told the missus I wanted “a wanky beer, anything but lager” and came back from the bog to the news of them only doing Amstel or Heineken. Obviously she’d halted the order so I could have a look at the cocktails - chose a mocktail but they didn’t have all the ingredients so I ended up with a lime and soda. :moop:

Thankfully the gin place we went last had a good list of decent beer and I ended up with a Hawkshead Porter. Was ice cold too. :drool: I wish it had blackcurrant in it now though.

Baz
12-05-2019, 07:31 AM
In a bar in Liverpool where you enter through a phonebox and my wife’s cocktail arrived in a shoe ornament. :cab:I forgot to mention I had one too, and it came with a photo of me on it. :baz:

https://i.imgur.com/vBCzFU2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Going a market later that has a beer shop and, supposedly, this list of suppliers (http://www.cathopbeers.co.uk/beers-ciders-wines-mead.html).

Anything delicious I should look out for?

Giggles
12-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Brewdog is the only one I ever heard of.

Spikey M
12-05-2019, 07:49 AM
That looks like the worst place in the world Baz

Baz
12-05-2019, 07:52 AM
That looks like the worst place in the world BazIt was okay for the novelty, but I was relieved when the missus asked if they’d had a board meeting to discuss “the twattiest things going” when coming up with the idea for the bar. The drinks in the photo there cost £24 too.

Shindig
12-05-2019, 08:44 AM
There's far too much 'flair' going on with that place. Hopefully they'll go under when they realise shoes cost significantly more than glasses.

Ian
12-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Going a market later that has a beer shop and, supposedly, this list of suppliers (http://www.cathopbeers.co.uk/beers-ciders-wines-mead.html).

Anything delicious I should look out for?

Amundsen, Brewdog, Buxton, Cloudwater, Northern Monk, Siren , Tiny Rebel, White Hag and Wild Beer are the ones in the list that stand out to me. I've had ones by some of the others like Alphabet and Garage but know less about them.

If you forced me to narrow it down further I guess Siren, Tiny Rebel and Buxton. Wild Beer if you want something a bit more unusual.

Giggles
12-05-2019, 09:06 AM
I missed White Hag on it.

Baz
12-05-2019, 11:41 AM
Amundsen, Brewdog, Buxton, Cloudwater, Northern Monk, Siren , Tiny Rebel, White Hag and Wild Beer are the ones in the list that stand out to me. I've had ones by some of the others like Alphabet and Garage but know less about them.

If you forced me to narrow it down further I guess Siren, Tiny Rebel and Buxton. Wild Beer if you want something a bit more unusual.Thanks for this.

Turns out the list was a bit of a lie; but still plenty of choice. They had a beer called Juicy Lucy (https://untappd.com/b/clay-brow-nano-brewery-juicy-lucy/2735917) that everyone was jizzing over at a recent beer festival, but I missed out on, so just ended up with a bottle of that.

Giggles
15-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Couple each of these to try this evening. The O'Hara's is nice at first taste anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/Mh2Jqc1.jpg

Giggles
15-05-2019, 07:32 PM
The Kerry Lane is sweeter than moat IPA's, nice but you wouldn't drink too many.

Giggles
21-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Blacks of Kinsale Brut IPA in the freezer.

Spikey M
21-05-2019, 04:24 PM
I'm off the booze until holiday now. 28 days. 28 days of sheer misery.

igor_balis
21-05-2019, 04:29 PM
I'm off the booze until holiday now. 28 days. 28 days of sheer misery.

Day 15 for me. I don't really miss it, but then I've never really enjoyed having a pint or two. If I stop after a couple I just feel grouchy and sleepy, 5 pints is the sweet spot for me, but then I end up feeling shit for days after. I feel like I probably just don't suit booze, which is a shame because I do like getting pissed.

igor_balis
21-05-2019, 04:32 PM
My mum constantly embarrasses me by telling the story of 11 year old me being left with a box of about 30 penguin bars and breakaways etc at my uncles house to have one, then them coming back 10 minutes later to find me surrounded by empty wrappers and face covered in chocolate (a sign of things to come?), which probably means it's genetic and I can't help it so fuck you.

Ian
21-05-2019, 06:14 PM
Why is that an embarrassing story? Nobody else is going to care beyond a brief lol.

Blacks of Kinsale Brut IPA in the freezer.

I quite like a Brut IPA these days.

igor_balis
21-05-2019, 09:37 PM
Well it's not red faced shame, more playful pisstaking.

Ian
26-05-2019, 04:02 PM
A Dutch Imperial Stout called Mind Your Step! It's one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth.

Kikó
26-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Been introduced to the joys of (mainly flavoured) vodka again in Poland. The Soplica flavoured stuff is dangerously nice just to supp on.

Baz
26-05-2019, 07:55 PM
The best pub the the north west (which happens to be in St. Helens) has opened a “beer emporium” where they have cans and bottles all around the edge of the pub and you can buy them. To celebrate its launch they’ve been running a four-week-long competition where you must submit a photo of yourself with your purchase(s) and the receipt, where two winners selected at random win one of two £500 beer hampers. You can enter as many times as you like, presumably once per receipt.

Most of the clientele are burly beer drinking old men, and the competition is on social media, so it’s not really had many entries.

Well there’s a week left and so far there are FIVE entries. One of them is a man called Les. I have two entries and a woman called Michelle also has two entries.

Definitely going in this week (to pay for my weekly £1 bonus ball entry) so will buy another can to up my entries to three so I can be exactly 50% of the total entries. :yn:

Ian
26-05-2019, 10:35 PM
Been introduced to the joys of (mainly flavoured) vodka again in Poland. The Soplica flavoured stuff is dangerously nice just to supp on.

My friend didn't know what to bring me back from Poland so she brought me back their strawberry one.

I quite like it because it helpfully masks the generally vile taste of Vodka.

Pepe
26-05-2019, 11:32 PM
'mon Les.

Giggles
01-06-2019, 03:03 PM
This is still good shit.

https://i.imgur.com/rhRX7WC.jpg

Spikey M
01-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Tesco don't do it anymore. It used to be the only certainty when I got one of their 4 for £6 deals.

Giggles
01-06-2019, 03:56 PM
This is better, though probably cos it's w pint.

https://i.imgur.com/Y8hisyD.jpg

Giggles
01-06-2019, 03:57 PM
I've booked the Open Gate for next week too :cool:

igor_balis
01-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Day 26 off piss today, well easy until yesterday evening when every fibre of my being was yearning for a lovely pint of lager.

It's a big leaving meal / night out for two colleagues next weekend, and I'm considering ending my spell then, but I think the following weekend in Norwich may be a safer bet; I'm mostly avoiding booze to ease transition into someone who isn't a massive cokehead, and in Norwich I have zero chance of acquiring a bag of talcum powder and rat poison. If after a few beers I start getting cravings there I have safely learned I'm still not ready to get on the booze again, whereas if it happens next week I'm worried about where that may lead me.

Baz
01-06-2019, 07:37 PM
The best pub the the north west (which happens to be in St. Helens) has opened a “beer emporium” where they have cans and bottles all around the edge of the pub and you can buy them. To celebrate its launch they’ve been running a four-week-long competition where you must submit a photo of yourself with your purchase(s) and the receipt, where two winners selected at random win one of two £500 beer hampers. You can enter as many times as you like, presumably once per receipt.

Most of the clientele are burly beer drinking old men, and the competition is on social media, so it’s not really had many entries.

Well there’s a week left and so far there are FIVE entries. One of them is a man called Les. I have two entries and a woman called Michelle also has two entries.

Definitely going in this week (to pay for my weekly £1 bonus ball entry) so will buy another can to up my entries to three so I can be exactly 50% of the total entries. :yn:Entered again. Mike has also entered.

So we are 4 out of the 7 entries. :harold:

Giggles
03-06-2019, 02:51 PM
Picked up KPA for the first time in a while. You forget just how spot on it is.

Giggles
15-06-2019, 02:55 PM
:drool:

https://i.imgur.com/Z3W2EOn.jpg

Ian
15-06-2019, 03:48 PM
:drool:

I've got a beer festival this Friday which I'm looking forward to.

niko_cee
15-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Are they pints? If so, I like the carrier thingys. If not and it's just one of those tasting pallet things, as you were.

Giggles
15-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Are they pints? If so, I like the carrier thingys. If not and it's just one of those tasting pallet things, as you were.

Guinness' pub. €9 a ticket but get those tasting things. €5 a pint after. They use it to try stuff to maybe bring to market, the West Indies and milk came from it.

https://www.guinnessopengate.com/

Giggles
15-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Tried a savage non alcoholic IPA, black IPA, and a strawberry stout.

niko_cee
17-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Got one of these (https://www.brewdog.com/brewdog-vs-bearded-iris-multitrack) in a father's day haul and fuck me it's interesting.

I don't think I've ever had a beer at that strength and not have it taste at all alcoholic. Almost has that weird gloopy texture you get from a Delerium, but none of the burning. Dangerous stuff. Reminds me of the shit I used to get in this place (http://thecoronationtap.com/) which just tasted of homemade apple juice and left you wondering why the room was spinning when you went to leave.

Would definitely recommend, but you know, just not many if you want to remain capable.

Ian
17-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Honestly niko, there's a lot of beer about now at strengths that would once have tasted like paint thinner but now are fiendishly drinkable.

I reckon a Giggles / Webly meet would be based around them and the very real chance of one of us dying.

Giggles
17-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Definitely. I couldn't have touched anything near 8 a few years ago, was like petrol. Now they're getting very nice and it's rare I'd be drinking anything much lower at home.

Ian
17-06-2019, 10:13 PM
For my Friday or Saturday evening in with a few beers it tends to be three or four pretty strong ones.

Giggles
18-06-2019, 04:41 AM
After how enjoyable the Open Gate was, I've booked Rascals for the weekend now. The pizzas look dire but that's just another reason to get a munchie box after a feed of pints. They've some really odd stuff.

https://rascalsbrewing.com/

https://rascalsbrewing.com/beer/

Giggles
19-07-2019, 09:15 PM
This pub has Beamish and glasses that they keep in a freezer. The combination is heaven.

Baz
19-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Beer festival at the best pub in the North West tomorrow. :beer:

Ian
19-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Fierce, possibly the best brewery in Scotland just now, have a Kit Kat themed pale callled "Have a Break" and it's fucking magnificent stuff. Coffee pales were odd enough, the sudden thing for chocolate pales is odder still but I don't care because they work. Lovely stuff.

Baz
20-07-2019, 06:40 AM
Yeah but I bet you like chocolate cake, chocolate ice cream and chocolate milkshake. :sick:

Ian
20-07-2019, 10:21 AM
You could have saved yourself some typing and just said chocolate there.

And yes, obviously.

Giggles
20-07-2019, 10:32 AM
I can kind of see Baz's point. Chocolate good, chocolate flavoured things bad.

Ian
20-07-2019, 03:18 PM
As with anything it's a matter of how they get the flavour and a how much of it. If it was just a matter of them taking an IPA and then bunging a load of chocolate syrup in it would obviously be vile.

Anyway, I have spent this afternoon working through a few of Lebowskis White Russians menu. Lethal stuff.

Giggles
20-07-2019, 03:26 PM
As with anything it's a matter of how they get the flavour and a how much of it. If it was just a matter of them taking an IPA and then bunging a load of chocolate syrup in it would obviously be vile.

Anyway, I have spent this afternoon working through a few of Lebowskis White Russians menu. Lethal stuff.

Oh yeah definitely. There was an experimental strawberry brew of Guinness on last time I was in the Open Gate which sounded vile but wasn't near as bad because it was fresh strawberries in the mix which made it really subtle. I was expecting something like a strawberry ice pop flavour.

Giggles
20-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Going to another brewery tour this evening before a concert. €25 for the tour, 3 small tasters, and 4 pints of your choice after. Happy days.

mugbull
20-07-2019, 03:31 PM
Good for you, putting yourself out there

Giggles
20-07-2019, 10:39 PM
Good for you, putting yourself out there

Thanks that means an awful lot.

Or you could go and lie in your piss.

Pepe
20-07-2019, 11:08 PM
:lol:

Giggles
02-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Discovered Larkins Double and Triple IPA's yesterday evening when I went to get the growler filled for the weekend. Seriously good stuff.

Giggles
02-08-2019, 07:16 AM
Also, this is :drool:

https://i.imgur.com/SO5AfzU.jpg

Ian
02-08-2019, 07:28 AM
Beerhawk gave me an extra 200 for reasons that are unclear to me but I made the most of it and got in my first proper haul for a few weeks. Loads of strong dark stuff for this evening.

Mazuuurk
02-08-2019, 08:00 AM
This is my new favourite thing:

https://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/image/upload/e_trim:15/d_beer_img_default.png,f_auto/beer_512900

It's a fruity, hazy NEIPA. I'm not one for the stouts and porters, other than maybe in tiny amounts almost as a dessert or something (those ones with like chocolate and vanilla in) or for sticking into chilis and stews. As for IPA's, i go back and fourth between fruity and a bit bitter, but always lean more towards fruity at the end of the day :gay:

Giggles
02-08-2019, 08:06 AM
I like the New England type ones. Picked up a few White Hag NE IPA's yesterday as well.

Ian
02-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Amundsen are really good.

I've had a few more of the Kernel's IPA variants recently having not seen any for ages. They're always good.

Giggles
02-08-2019, 12:03 PM
I just found Thatchers Haze locally :cool:

Giggles
02-08-2019, 01:04 PM
This is my new favourite thing:

https://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/image/upload/e_trim:15/d_beer_img_default.png,f_auto/beer_512900

It's a fruity, hazy NEIPA. I'm not one for the stouts and porters, other than maybe in tiny amounts almost as a dessert or something (those ones with like chocolate and vanilla in) or for sticking into chilis and stews. As for IPA's, i go back and fourth between fruity and a bit bitter, but always lean more towards fruity at the end of the day :gay:

How would this one compare to that one above? It's the only Amundsen NE IPA I could find.

https://www.martinsofflicence.ie/beer/norway/amundsen-finback-into-the-wormhole-new-england-ipa/

Josh
02-08-2019, 01:56 PM
It will be extremely similar. Amundsen make 90% New England IPA's and they all taste fairly similar.

Having Finback involved is a big positive though - one of the best breweries for IPA's in the world. Although it's been brewed in Norway so it will have limited input from the Finback guys.

Mazuuurk
02-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Havent had that one, Giggles, but go for it and lemme know :thbup:

Ian
02-08-2019, 02:26 PM
Was gonna have a treat lunch today but bought pricey beers so had to rein that in.

Still, a Fierce / Fourpure imperial blackcurrant porter, the mocha variant of Fierce's Very Big Moose and a honey wheat wine from Top Out.

Giggles
04-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Do they have Boyne Brewhouse over your way at all Ian? They're doing another run of the Imperial Stout :drool:

Ian
05-08-2019, 08:34 AM
That was in a place quite close to me that tends to have a few White Hags etc. in so I'll need to have a look.

Giggles
06-08-2019, 11:32 AM
That was in a place quite close to me that tends to have a few White Hags etc. in so I'll need to have a look.

Speaking of the hag...

Ian
06-08-2019, 12:29 PM
The shop near work has that new Puca one which I think I'll need to try.

igor_balis
06-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Discovered Larkins Double and Triple IPA's yesterday evening when I went to get the growler filled for the weekend. Seriously good stuff.

You attack drug users yet have to get pissed to shag your missus? Hypocrite.

Ian
10-08-2019, 10:29 AM
I have prepared for a beer festival today by drinking all the alcohol last night.

Excellent work. Soz, liver.

igor_balis
10-08-2019, 01:02 PM
I'm only an occasional cider drinker, and after Thursday night I intend to keep it that way. Had 6 of the little 330ml cans of kopperberg or something similar, and had the absolute worst acid reflux I've had in my life. Nearly threw up but managed to find some rennies.

I'll revert to my usual schedule of lager May-September, and ale the rest of the time.

Giggles
10-08-2019, 01:15 PM
I have prepared for a beer festival today by drinking all the alcohol last night.

Excellent work. Soz, liver.

I wasn't going to bother this weekend but it's getting tempting. The local off licence has a brewery tasting this evening too so there's bound to be freebies.

Ian
10-08-2019, 05:24 PM
Merchant City Brewing, who've seriously upped the game after being pretty meh with their first few beers, have a new coffee imperial and goodness me it's lovely.

The wasps nearly made the fest unbearable and frankly I'm too old for that much standing up now but it was good.

Giggles
10-08-2019, 05:44 PM
I'm balls deep in some Racals Big Hop Red and Larkins Outlier. I'm off to the pub now after the ball but at least they've McGargles on tap there.

Giggles
10-08-2019, 08:08 PM
McGargles was out so I had a very disappointing Carlsberg unfiltered.

Giggles
10-08-2019, 09:50 PM
Guinness, the one true pub saviour.

Shindig
10-08-2019, 10:07 PM
I haven't had a Guinness since St. Patricks. I used to have one in every new pub to see if it passed the test. Now I don't even bother.

Spikey M
10-08-2019, 10:27 PM
I had a Guinness (extra cold) tonight. It was that or Boddingtons (Fosters and Carling obviously excluded from consideration).

Giggles
10-08-2019, 10:53 PM
I'd a real one though.

Ian
03-09-2019, 11:06 AM
My sister got me onto the Brewdog shares thing for my birthday which means I'll get a bit of a discount in their bars and online shop.

Only slightly annoying thing is that while the Brewdog that's really close to my work used to regularly have a really good selection on they've somewhat gone off the boil on that front and now there tends to be a better selection in Shilling, which is also really close to work.

Baz
03-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Ye ingrate.

Ian
03-09-2019, 12:41 PM
To be there's also the issue that I'd be going in there as an EQUITY FOR PUNKS member without a beard, check shirt or flat cap so they might boot me out.

Ian
07-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Another excellent Imperial dark thing from Pohjala there. They're up there with Fierce as one of my favourite brewers just now.

Giggles
07-09-2019, 04:07 PM
I have the last of my stash I got given last weekend. 4 bottles left I think.

https://i.imgur.com/IK0yWAX.jpg

Ian
07-09-2019, 04:16 PM
My brother in law and I's homebrew should be good to go by mid-week. It's Tiny Rebel's Cwtch home brew kit so I'd like to get hold of a can of the real thing to compare.

Giggles
07-09-2019, 04:21 PM
I really need to do a brew for Christmas but yet again I bet I won’t.

Giggles
09-09-2019, 02:48 PM
There's a good reason to visit before the end of October.

Ian
23-09-2019, 02:43 PM
Drygate are doing an Imperial stout that costs a tenner but all the proceeds go toward reforestation.

I wouldn't normally spend that much on a bottle but a good cause and I imagine it'll be a good beer. An Islay-barrel aged imperial. :drool:

Giggles
25-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Just checked into a hotel in Cork and they've 9 White Deer on draught.

Work tomorrow :uhoh:

Ian
25-09-2019, 05:36 PM
Never had anything by them. When I got sent to Newark last year myself I had the issue of Newark being fucking ace for ale pubs and the knowledge that I might never go there again so wanting to make the most of it....

phonics
25-09-2019, 05:41 PM
If Brewdog weren't bad enough, my mate made a joke about them without tagging them and their social media team are taking it as a compliment.

Baz
25-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Similar to when Carlsberg’s promoted tweets were people saying their beer tasted like stale breadsticks. https://www.thedrum.com/news/2019/04/11/why-carlsberg-promoting-tweets-branding-its-beer-the-rancid-piss-satan

Giggles
25-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Never had anything by them. When I got sent to Newark last year myself I had the issue of Newark being fucking ace for ale pubs and the knowledge that I might never go there again so wanting to make the most of it....

They do gluten free beer (stout, IPA, pale ale, kolsch) but it stands up to anything in its own right. There's only one pub in Dublin I've ever seen with their stuff on draught but the stout is gorgeous.

Ian
25-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Brewdog sell t-shirts with their favourite bad reviews of them on. This is very on-brand for them. They're twats but my sister got me a share for my birthday so I'll definitely be making the most of the discount.

They do gluten free beer (stout, IPA, pale ale, kolsch) but it stands up to anything in its own right. There's only one pub in Dublin I've ever seen with their stuff on draught but the stout is gorgeous.

I'll need to keep an eye on. If they're gluten free then they might get enough of a market to start exporting.

Though I'm actually considering a trip to Dublin in the nearish future as I have holidays to use and have never been so if I do that I can just find that pub instead.

Giggles
25-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Brewdog sell t-shirts with their favourite bad reviews of them on. This is very on-brand for them. They're twats but my sister got me a share for my birthday so I'll definitely be making the most of the discount.

I'll need to keep an eye on. If they're gluten free then they might get enough of a market to start exporting.

Though I'm actually considering a trip to Dublin in the nearish future as I have holidays to use and have never been so if I do that I can just find that pub instead.

The Cobblestone in Smithfield have 3 of them on draught, stout, bán, and rua (red ale). I'd regularly hit it even though it's fairly touristy.

If you're visiting let me know and I'll tell you the ones to get a decent one outside the norm. Rascals in Inchicore and The Four Provinces in Kimmage do savage stuff if you didn't mind a short tram or bus to the beer.

Baz
26-09-2019, 05:35 AM
G’wan, meet up.

Giggles
26-09-2019, 05:59 AM
I'd love to explain that one to the wife.

Ian
26-09-2019, 06:23 AM
Informal imperial stouts.

Giggles
28-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Got a few bottles of Clever Man’s Ejector Seat which is billed as “Turf Smoked Stout”, and by fuck it is.

Giggles
28-09-2019, 03:45 PM
https://i.imgur.com/uTYNnTu.jpg

Ian
28-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Smokey beers are one of the few styles I'm not really into as yet but given how I've been with everything else I imagine that'll come over time.

I've got a couple of home brews to tide me over until I get into the good shit for tonight.

I've got the Guinness export variant for Nigeria which is meant to be really nice, a 6 Degrees North imperial stout and yet another imperial by Fierce. :drool:

Giggles
28-09-2019, 04:43 PM
I’m onto the Pale now, very nice too.

Do you do much home brew @Ian (https://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/member.php?u=44)? I’m looking for a kit but haven’t a clue what I need.

https://i.imgur.com/MqcJUzt.jpg

Ian
28-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Do you do much home brew @Ian (https://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/member.php?u=44)? I’m looking for a kit but haven’t a clue what I need.

I think this is the third me and my brother-in-law have done. This one was a kit for Cwtch by Tiny Rebel and is slightly more involved than the previous kits as it involves dry-hopping partway through. Something's not quite right with it as it's ludicrously cloudy when it shouldn't be, I expect that's something to do with the temperature at some point during the process but I dunno for sure.

I'd just look out for a kit for your first go, try and find a starter pack that gives you a good-sized fermenter and all the little bits and pieces.

me and my brother in law are basically trying to do one extra step for ourselves each time we do a new brew.