PDA

View Full Version : The Podcast Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Giggles
25-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Just listening to this weeks Material and remembered we don't have a thread here. What are people listening to these days? Any football/Android/NFL recommendations especially appreciated.

At the moment my Pocketcasts is subscribed to:

NFL:
ESPN FOotball Today
Ross Tucker Football Podcast
Off the ball NFL Podcast

Soccer:
Guardian Football Weekly
Off the Ball Football Show
Off the Ball Football with John Giles
Off the Ball League of Ireland

Other Sport:
GAA on Off the Ball

Android:
Android Central Podcast
Android Authority Podcast
Material Podcast
The Blerg

Other:
Stuff You Should Know Podcast
Technology on The Right Hook

Reg
25-09-2015, 08:52 PM
I like La Liga Weekly (http://www.skysports.com/watch/tv-shows/revista-de-la-liga/podcasts).

Graham Hunter's podcasts (https://audioboom.com/channel/grahamhunter) are worth checking out; the one with Gary Neville being the best I've heard (Gordon Strachan had some good bits too).

Giggles
25-09-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm not too much of a fan of interviews and I'll even skip on if my usual ones go to something like that, but I'll give that Hunter one a go as the guests look good on the site.

The Off the Ball Football Show one I posted above is good for anyone who likes Pat Nevin.

Spammer
25-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Startalk is awesome for anyone who liked Cosmos or who is generally into space and shit like that.

Mike
25-09-2015, 08:57 PM
I listen to The Giant Bombcast (http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/) along with The Beastcast (http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/beastcast/) and the GB Wrestling ones when they do them.

I used to listen to Steve Austins and Colt Cobana's podcasts, but I no longer have a long trip to work so never get around to them.

Reg
25-09-2015, 08:58 PM
I do quite like Pat Nevin, I'll have a listen.

Not football related, but I've listened to two Longform Podcasts. If there's anyone on here who likes Malcolm Gladwell, click (http://longform.org/posts/longform-podcast-62-malcolm-gladwell).

Giggles
25-09-2015, 09:00 PM
I do quite like Pat Nevin, I'll have a listen.

Not football related, but I've listened to two Longform Podcasts. If there's anyone on here who likes Malcolm Gladwell, click (http://longform.org/posts/longform-podcast-62-malcolm-gladwell).

I'm not sure if he's a permanent fixture but most evenings I listen to the show live (it's on Newstalk radio here) he's on it. I quite like him myself.

phonics
25-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Snowden was on a DeGrasse Tyson podcast recently. Which one?

igor_balis
25-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Serial was excellent I thought, though got a little bit rubbish towards the end.

For football it is mainly the obvious ones - Football Weekly and Football Ramble are both good, and World Football Phone-In would be outstanding if the callers weren't such annoying mental cunts. Dotun's singing can get a bit grating after a while, too.

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast is generally decent. Tend to only pick and choose with that now, but the episode with Graham Linehan and Armando Ianucci is still probably one of the funniest hours of anything I've ever heard. Louis Theroux one was also great.

The Attitude Era Podcast and The Lapsed Fan Podcast are my favourite wrestling ones, but Stone Cold's is obviously great too. Oh, and Jim Cornette's - think I have 7om to thank for that.

Max Power
25-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Second Captains is a good podcast. I only tend to listen to the football one but they put out four a week - two football and two 'other sport'. That 'other sport' is often GAA or Rugby so I give it a miss.

I liked the Chris Waddle interview on that Graham Hunter podcast. Did you listen to that one Reg? Graham himself is a bit annoying but he seems to get some good stories and comment out of his guests.

Spammer
25-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Snowden was on a DeGrasse Tyson podcast recently. Which one?

Startalk I think. It's the only one Tyson does as far as I'm aware.

Giggles
25-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Second Captains is a good podcast. I only tend to listen to the football one but they put out four a week - two football and two 'other sport'. That 'other sport' is often GAA or Rugby so I give it a miss.

I liked the Chris Waddle interview on that Graham Hunter podcast. Did you listen to that one Reg? Graham himself is a bit annoying but he seems to get some good stories and comment out of his guests.

Good man, I never knew about that one. There's a TV show here that I always watch called Second Captains Live but I never knew they had a podcast too. Sounds exactly what I'm after.

Reg
25-09-2015, 09:20 PM
I listened to half of it, I haven't gone back to it as I wasn't too keen. I can't remember seeing Waddle play so that could be why.

Max Power
25-09-2015, 09:24 PM
I liked him actually talking about being a winger and taking someone on, from Sunday League to Champions League. Plus he's good talking about his time at Marseille. And he namechecks Riyad Mahrez so big props on that

igor_balis
25-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Oh and an honourable mention to The Game for quite how bad it manages to be. The Times's answer to Football Weekly, it is the most miserable, boring and all-round shit podcast I've ever heard. Not just out of football ones. I get Gab Marcotti has a thing about taking football 'seriously' so not wanting the Jimbo style puns and piss-taking, but if you're not going to be funny at least be interesting. The scouse presenter manages to be noticeably worse than the others though, which is quite impressive.

Giggles
25-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Oh and an honourable mention to The Game for quite how bad it manages to be. The Times's answer to Football Weekly, it is the most miserable, boring and all-round shit podcast I've ever heard. Not just out of football ones. I get Gab Marcotti has a thing about taking football 'seriously' so not wanting the Jimbo style puns and piss-taking, but if you're not going to be funny at least be interesting. The scouse presenter manages to be noticeably worse than the others though, which is quite impressive.

I gave it two episodes and it was absolutely horrendous. Marcotti is such a bottle of shit.

Spammer
25-09-2015, 09:40 PM
The Bugle is good too. It's John Oliver and his mate chatting shit.

TG09
25-09-2015, 09:58 PM
My list is
5 live's Football Daily
Call Collymore
Football Weekly
Hollywood Babble-On
Ian Wright on Absolute Radio
Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo
Fat Man on Batman
Jay & Silent Bob Get Old
Screen Rant underground (just stop)

igor_balis
25-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Kermode and Mayo is a weird one for me. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I find their 'wittertainment' bantz hello to Jason Isaacs shtick unbearable.

Danny
25-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Football Weekly
Football Ramble
Sunday Supplement
Gary Neville Podcast
FL72 (downloaded last week, not tried yet though)
Cricket Writers on TV
Test Match Special
BBC 5 live sports extra (onLY download select specials)
Switch Hit Podcast
Undisclosed State vs Adnan Syed
History of WWII

phonics
25-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Football Weekly
Football Ramble
Football Fives (a nerdy and dry football podcast that usually ends up in how good Gazza was)
Arseblog

Giant Bombcast
Giant Beastcast
Rebel FM (although I've not lasted through an episode in about 6 months)
VideoGamer UK Podcast
Crate & Crowbar

A Waste of Time with ItsTheReal (hip hop interview podcast)
Politics Weekly (dependent on subject)
Combat Jack
How Did This Get Made

and then some various podcasts based on the guest of the week like Nerdist, Maron etc.

phonics
25-09-2015, 10:24 PM
The Game is the ultimate example of an alternative which isn't an alternative. It tries so hard to be contrary. Diego Costa didn't earn even a yellow against Arsenal apparently. Tony Barrett drags down that paper so badly.

Giggles
25-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Football Weekly
Football Ramble
Football Fives (a nerdy and dry football podcast that usually ends up in how good Gazza was)
Arseblog

Giant Bombcast
Giant Beastcast
Rebel FM (although I've not lasted through an episode in about 6 months)
VideoGamer UK Podcast
Crate & Crowbar

A Waste of Time with ItsTheReal (hip hop interview podcast)
Politics Weekly (dependent on subject)
Combat Jack
How Did This Get Made

and then some various podcasts based on the guest of the week like Nerdist, Maron etc.

I'll give that Fives one a rattle too.

phonics
25-09-2015, 10:25 PM
I'll inform you now that it's quite dull but it's nice to hear someone not from London on one of these things.

Max Power
25-09-2015, 10:32 PM
The Game is weird becuase they have Marcotti - who is genuinely good - and make him the impartial host. Haven't listened to that for ages though tbf.

I had to bin A Waste Of Time becuase the guests were just a bit rubbish, Clark Kent aside. I'll check back from time to time to see if someone interesting turns up becuase I quite like the Rosenthals. I see Just Blaze is on the latest so will give that a listen at some point.

phonics
25-09-2015, 10:37 PM
If you don't care about Star Wars don't bother. It was very much ''our friend is a star wars nerd, how do we get him in' stuff.

I like listening to the less established people due to their ultimate confusion that a white person knows as much as them. GunPlay seemed dumbfounded by these kids. It's like a non socially awkward narduwar.

Shindig
25-09-2015, 10:40 PM
I listen to The Giant Bombcast (http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/) along with The Beastcast (http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/beastcast/)

Same here. Tends to kill a Wednesday morning at work and every now and then it derails into something glorious.

phonics
25-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Brand Shoemaker kills everything though. I understand Gerstmann not wanting to host anymore but Shoemaker can't riff with someone if his life depended on it. Especially someone funnier than he is. Which leads to Gerstmann jumping off on everything because he's the only one able to create jump off points. Hence why the Beastcast works better, the roles are just so much more defined.

Shindig
25-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Brad's definitely a nightmare if he's got something to champion.

John
25-09-2015, 11:12 PM
Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast is generally decent. Tend to only pick and choose with that now, but the episode with Graham Linehan and Armando Ianucci is still probably one of the funniest hours of anything I've ever heard. Louis Theroux one was also great.

I used to listen to the thing Richard Herring did with Andrew Collins, but then Collins agreed to do a paid radio show with someone else and Herring pitched a fit like a child being denied sweets and they stopped. Anything I hear from him now is tainted with the knowledge that he's a petty arsehole.

I only listen to the Football Weekly and Kermode and Mayo podcasts.

phonics
25-09-2015, 11:27 PM
I;m similar to your opinion on Herrig, I wasn't 'pro collins' but it certainly explained Stewart Lees willingness to split.

igor_balis
25-09-2015, 11:45 PM
I used to listen to the thing Richard Herring did with Andrew Collins, but then Collins agreed to do a paid radio show with someone else and Herring pitched a fit like a child being denied sweets and they stopped. Anything I hear from him now is tainted with the knowledge that he's a petty arsehole.

Aye I've heard that the last few episodes of collings and herrin are quite nasty, bordering on Herring basically bullying him. I don't really want to find out for myself though, as I think Herring is a decent enough bloke with a bit of a weird side, and I wouldn't want to ruin my enjoyment of him doing alright interviews with quite funny people.

John
25-09-2015, 11:57 PM
He obviously isn't a decent bloke if he's being a nasty bastard towards, and eventually binning his mate for taking some work with the stated reason being that they didn't also want Herring.

That's just unreasonable bullshit.

igor_balis
26-09-2015, 12:43 AM
Herring's defense was that it was the same slot that they'd been doing together, they axed it, then asked Collins to do it with someone else which was a betrayal of sorts. Even in Collins's own blog post about it, he sort of implies that he was glad he wasn't doing the show with Herring anymore and quite happily went along with it.

I still think Herring was a petulant little girl about it (and I'm not sure I believe him when he says that he'd have refused if the roles were reversed) but I do sort of see where he's coming from.

Had they just done the podcast, then had 6music approach Collins to do a show he'd unambiguously be a twat, but with all the other context I'm not so sure. I do see your point, though.

Bob Sacamano
26-09-2015, 03:27 AM
I subscribe to ;

Football Weekly
Football Ramble
WFPI
The Spanish Football Poscast
Second Captains
Tuesday Club
Joe Rogan Experience
The Fighter & The Kid
Pete & Sebastian Show
What Say You
Tell Em Steve Dave

Rogan's being without doubt my favourite/most interesting

Adamski
26-09-2015, 07:30 AM
The Off the Ball Football Show one I posted above is good for anyone who likes Pat Nevin.

So, not a single person on the planet then?

Baz
26-09-2015, 07:52 AM
My mate does a podcast.
It's mostly about comics.
SuperNerds UK (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/supernerds-uks-podcast/id1017040090?mt=2&i=353042672)

neo_hippy
26-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Fighting talk
Distraction pieces
Iain Lee podcast
Doug Stanhope podcast

Adamski
26-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Any decent recommendations for music podcasts?

Yevrah
26-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Kermode and Mayo's Film Reviews is the only one I listen to.

Demerit
26-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Second Yevrah there, that and From The Rookery End which is a small Watford FC one.

igor_balis
15-10-2015, 04:58 PM
miles jacobson is on football weekly extra. fuck me.

Jimmy Floyd
15-10-2015, 05:04 PM
The Guardian are running out of money, he must have paid to be there. Christ knows how they fund it anyway.

Reg
15-10-2015, 05:11 PM
I was looking forward to it. :(

Giggles
15-10-2015, 05:12 PM
So was I, I was just finishing off 2nd Captains waiting for it to appear on Pocketcasts. Not so sure now.

Giggles
15-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Wasn't bad really.

Max Power
15-10-2015, 06:51 PM
So was I, I was just finishing off 2nd Captains waiting for it to appear on Pocketcasts. Not so sure now.

How are you finding Second Captains?

Giggles
15-10-2015, 06:54 PM
How are you finding Second Captains?

Very good. I always liked the TV show so I was thinking it would be worth listening to. Also like the way they split up the football and rugby shows like Off the Ball does, and not mix it all in the one.

Reg
15-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Wasn't bad really.
Agreed. I couldn't see Miles' face so I didn't particularly want to punch him. They did essentially stick an advert for FM in, with the question and answer bit - think Jim might be right about paying to be on there.

Benny
15-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Just a couple on rotation.

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast
Bill Burr's Thursday one
The Fighting Cock
Bald Move Watching Dead Podcast
Gary Neville's MNF Podcast
The Game Podcast (occasionally, although I really hate Gabriele Marcotti)

John
15-10-2015, 07:14 PM
How long has that Gary Neville one been going for? He's excellent on MNF so I might give that a listen.

Giggles
15-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Yeah I might give that a go too. I don't see much Sky but I like Neville any time I see it.

Agreed on Marcotti too. Makes that one totally avoidable for me.

John
15-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Marcotti is dreadful, although his existence did provide me with a huge laugh when his number one fan SG quoted him as the definitive voice on the Tottenham riots.

Benny
15-10-2015, 07:35 PM
I just don't understand how he's not been booted off, he constantly talks over the other guests and interrupts them when they're making their points, often in relation to a question he's asked of them. His insistence on trying to pronounce players names in their native tongues is pretty sad as well.

Giggles
15-10-2015, 07:39 PM
The epitome of the word pretentious.

The Merse
15-10-2015, 08:21 PM
Guardian Football Weekly is far better than The Game.

The Tuesday club is the boy for me though. The banter is just lovely.

igor_balis
15-10-2015, 08:25 PM
I just don't understand how he's not been booted off, he constantly talks over the other guests and interrupts them when they're making their points, often in relation to a question he's asked of them. His insistence on trying to pronounce players names in their native tongues is pretty sad as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn9Wcy88Np4

TG09
16-10-2015, 12:27 AM
Guardian Football Weekly is far better than The Game.

The Tuesday club is the boy for me though. The banter is just lovely.

The Guardian Football Weekly I do like. I started listening to The Football Ramble, as someone on here mentioned it, I like that one.
I will try The Game next.

Andy
16-10-2015, 06:57 AM
Football Weekly
5live Daily
The Game
The Blizzard
The GNev Sunday night
Football Ramble
Fantasy Football scoutcast

The 5live one can be really good or utter shite. They had some muppet taff women on their yesterday saying Walsall have a striker who could easily take Bale's place on the team if he got injured for the Euros...

Andy
16-10-2015, 06:58 AM
I actually quite like Marcotti. Not SG levels but I definetly don't find him annoying.

phonics
16-10-2015, 09:49 AM
I find the guests on The Game much more annoying than Marcotti. Rory Smith is alright and Julien Laurens sounds handsome so gets away with having not very interesting opinions. The Liverpool fan lady, Tony Cascarino and the rest can get tae fuck though.

Football Rambles moved to 2 episodes a week with a preview show on Fridays from today onwards by the way.

Isn't the Gary Neville MNF podcast about 30 seconds long each week?

Benny
16-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Nah Marcotti is literally the worst human being alive.

The Gary Neville MNF is short, about 5-10mins, but interesting enough to be worth listening to. The problem I have with it is that (unsurprisingly) only focuses on the 'top four' clubs, so it's quite predictable who'll be featured every week.

igor_balis
16-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Two rambles is good, and I don't resent them wanting to get more money, but I'm already finding it a bit irritating having Luke 'Lukey' Moore awkwardly try to link everything to some bet365 odds.

'Alright Jim, so errr, what would you say if I said Sunderland were 3/2' 'err I dunno'

It isn't quite as bad as the capital one podcast they did - Marcus calling them the 'credit card that supports the supporters' was very troubling.

Bob Sacamano
12-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Going to the live football weekly in Birmingham tonight, should be good.

igor_balis
12-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Have fun. The Ramble live show was pretty decent, except I drank too much and ate too much spicy food the previous night so spent most of the time worrying I was going to shit myself.

John Arne
12-11-2015, 07:06 PM
My current podcasts;

No Such Thing As A Fish - didn't think I would this, but it's actually really entertaining. It's the QI researchers.
The Adam Buxton Podcast - His new one - interesting interviews - but could turn boring depending on the guests
The Bugle - dead.
BBC Radio 4 Friday Night Comedy - News Quiz isn't as good as it used to be.
The Infinate Monkey Cage - still great.
Stuff You Should Know - very dependant on the topic.
If I Were You - Jake & Amir with some fairly childish humour
The Football Ramble - still going, still enjoying it
Football Weekly - still going, still enjoying it
5 Live's World Football Phone-In - not sure why I still listen to this
Richard Herring - again, guest dependant.
Kermode and Mayo - still great

Giggles
12-11-2015, 07:11 PM
I've another 700km+ round trip tomorrow and I've Football Weekly Extra, 2 Second Captains, Material, 2 Off the Ball GAA, Football Fives, and 2 Ross Tuckers downloaded and on a playlist ready to go.

igor_balis
12-11-2015, 07:12 PM
My current podcasts;

No Such Thing As A Fish - didn't think I would this, but it's actually really entertaining. It's the QI researchers.
The Adam Buxton Podcast - His new one - interesting interviews - but could turn boring depending on the guests
The Bugle - dead.
BBC Radio 4 Friday Night Comedy - News Quiz isn't as good as it used to be.
The Infinate Monkey Cage - still great.
Stuff You Should Know - very dependant on the topic.
If I Were You - Jake & Amir with some fairly childish humour
The Football Ramble - still going, still enjoying it
Football Weekly - still going, still enjoying it
5 Live's World Football Phone-In - not sure why I still listen to this
Richard Herring - again, guest dependant.
Kermode and Mayo - still great

Agree with a lot of those. Only recently discovered Adam and Joe's old podcasts and they're definitely a lot more fun than his solo thing, but it is still decent. Thought Rob Brydon was very interesting but also came across as a bit of a wanker when he was on.

WFPI should be so much better than it is. I know it is called a fucking phone in, but it would be so much better if they just had emails and texts read out, cus the peole who phone in are such weirdos. Like, ask your question and shut the fuck up, stop talking over the experts you freaks. Also, I like Dotun but wish they'd cut back on the bantz a bit. Gets grating quite quickly.

John Arne
12-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Dotun has the worse sense of humour ever, and the guy who helps out every now and then is a bit of a tool.

Jimmy Floyd
12-11-2015, 07:33 PM
It suffers from 1. Being at 2am 2. Being produced by generalists who seem not to know much about the subject at hand.

I like Dotun though. Is the Gent dead yet? I haven't listened for a couple of years.

igor_balis
12-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Durosimi Thomas is the best guest. 'I do not know that player', ha, classic.

It suffers from 1. Being at 2am 2. Being produced by generalists who seem not to know much about the subject at hand.

I like Dotun though. Is the Gent dead yet? I haven't listened for a couple of years.

Yeah I like Dotun too. I think he's pretty funny and clearly a decent bloke. Just there's...too much of him sometimes. A few weeks ago it felt like he spent about half an hour trying to get Tim to sing or something.

Another obvious issue is that the same things get asked every fucking week, though perhaps they just don't get enough questions to be more selective with what their ask them.

phonics
12-11-2015, 08:02 PM
The Bugle being killed by John Olivers success is really annoying considering I'd spent my tine supporting his career because of said podcast.

Max Power
12-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Andy Zaltzman has found his true calling now anyway, doing an obscurist cricket podcast with Jarrod Kimber.

phonics
12-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Its a shame I hate cricket really as I think he'd be an ecellent sports reporter.

Lee
12-11-2015, 08:56 PM
My main ones are Football Weekly, The Football Ramble and the World Foothall Phone-In. I subscribe to La Liga Weekly, Forza Italian Football and Talking Fussball as well but I only get round to them if I go on a long walk, which I am doing a fair bit of at the minute.

Manc
12-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Ramble is King. Football weekly can be tedious from time to time and as aforementioned The Game is ruined by its host.

The Spanish football podcast is worth a listen for Sid Lowe.

Giggles
12-11-2015, 09:17 PM
For some reason Sid Lowe is the only bit I sometimes skip on GFW. Not sure if it's him or La Liga.

igor_balis
12-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Yeah I think Sid Lowe is great but I really couldn't give a shit about how many goals Barcelona smashed past Levante this week.

Jimmy Floyd
12-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Andy Zaltzman has found his true calling now anyway, doing an obscurist cricket podcast with Jarrod Kimber.

That thing is absolute gold. How somebody funds it I have no idea but still.

06:36 in this made my year: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/847335.html

Max Power
12-11-2015, 09:33 PM
That thing is absolute gold. How somebody funds it I have no idea but still.

06:36 in this made my year: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/847335.html

Theres a full podcast on Itunes now, called The Cricket Sadist Hour. They broadly go over the issues of the day but end up going on massive tangents about Aubrey Faulkner and Ijaz Ahmed and stuff.

Jimmy Floyd
12-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Oh right I'd only seen that mentioned on the cricinfo website. I'll get on it. Again though, who is paying for this stuff...

phonics
12-11-2015, 09:39 PM
There is no-one more equipped in the art of talking absolute bullshit than Andy Zaltzman, it's almost an art form.

I'd never heard of the guy before the first episode of The Bugle at which point he adapted Peter's apostle to complain about the neighbour two doors down stealing his bin and I realised I was on to the greatest podcast of all time.

Jimmy Floyd
12-11-2015, 09:46 PM
I never really liked the Bugle, but that's probably because I also don't like the Daily Show and all that type of humour.

John
12-11-2015, 09:59 PM
I've never listened to The Bugle, but I've been seriously enjoying John Oliver's HBO thing, repetitive shouty interludes aside.

How is his success 'killing' the podcast?

igor_balis
12-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Cus he hasn't got any time to do it anymore, I think.

phonics
12-11-2015, 10:10 PM
I've never listened to The Bugle, but I've been seriously enjoying John Oliver's HBO thing, repetitive shouty interludes aside.

How is his success 'killing' the podcast?

He's too busy working on the HBO show and the subsequent promo/tours to make room for a weekly podcast. It's not a criticism just a reality of his situation.

Giggles
13-11-2015, 06:59 PM
I finally got listening to Football Fives after I ran out of others today and I was treated to such a pile of sanctimonious, we're real fans, tradition innit bollocks on MK Dons. Is it always like that?

phonics
13-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Most of it, yeah.

Chrissy
15-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Hi folks,

I'm doing a weekly podcast;

https://soundcloud.com/chrissy-ross-2/giving-it-laldy-podcast-episode-one

By all means hate it. Just throwing it out there for folk to listen to. Some FM related chat from the 50 minute odd mark.

Cheers

Giggles
15-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Is it a football one?

Chrissy
15-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Is it a football one?

It touches on Football, about 50% of it is Scottish football chat which will be of absolutely no interest to folks. Hence me saying where the FM chat is. Doubt anyone on here gives a monkeys about killie fc etc

Henry
15-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Revolutions is a pretty great history one.

Chrissy
22-01-2016, 10:11 PM
The latest episode of me talking pish is up, discussing social media fads and why we feel the need to name everything.

https://soundcloud.com/chrissy-ross-2/ep-07-scott-mccue-be-like-you

On iTunes as well ;

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/giving-it-laldy/id1077883929

Any feedback greatly appreciated, as I know you folks will tell me if it's a turd.

Adamski
14-02-2016, 10:11 PM
Anyone know of any decent music podcasts? 6 Music got one?

igor_balis
15-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Let me have a look tomorrow, but I think there's a really decent one that Resonance radio does, and there's a couple of pretty good ones that this weird French radio station does. Any specific genres of music you're on about?

TG09
15-02-2016, 12:44 AM
The latest episode of me talking pish is up, discussing social media fads and why we feel the need to name everything.

https://soundcloud.com/chrissy-ross-2/ep-07-scott-mccue-be-like-you

On iTunes as well ;

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/giving-it-laldy/id1077883929

Any feedback greatly appreciated, as I know you folks will tell me if it's a turd.

Don't have account with SoundCloud, might signed up and give it a listen at some point.

Adamski
15-02-2016, 07:56 AM
Let me have a look tomorrow, but I think there's a really decent one that Resonance radio does, and there's a couple of pretty good ones that this weird French radio station does. Any specific genres of music you're on about?

Just found the Giles Peterson one so I'm sorted for one at least. Looking for something similar to Kermode & Mayo's film review but for music, just something to keep up with (good) current music. Jazz, blues, guitar, a little bit of indie (but don't tell anyone).

igor_balis
15-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Just found the Giles Peterson one so I'm sorted for one at least. Looking for something similar to Kermode & Mayo's film review but for music, just something to keep up with (good) current music. Jazz, blues, guitar, a little bit of indie (but don't tell anyone).

I've heard nothing but good things about BBC Radio 3's Late Junction, which plays quite a range of interesting stuff. If you're arsed with classical, the Composer of the Day podcast is excellent.

Not sure exactly what podcasts they produce, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about the French radio station 'FIP'. As someone on another forum explains, it is 'A French station that I think someone on here turned me onto. Plays a very interesting mix of music, jazz, classical, electronic, oddities, generally with a very 'chilled' vibe'. Obviously not much use if you're after a Kermode & Mayo experience (unless you can speak French) but probably worth a shot for actually interesting music.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Samadini
15-02-2016, 09:32 AM
I'm subscribed to the Robert Luis podcast. The latest one just came out halfway through me typing this.

http://www.robertluis.com/?utm_campaign=notification_new_upload&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification&utm_content=html

You can listen on the website (it's the Unfold podcast) or subscribe on Mixcloud.

phonics
15-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Swapping off music podcasts, I think Second Captains might secretly be the best Football/Sports podcast around.

Giggles
16-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Swapping off music podcasts, I think Second Captains might secretly be the best Football/Sports podcast around.

Can't remember who recommended it here but it's definitely my favourite one these days too. I'd been watching their TV show for a fair while without even realising they did a podcast as well.

Giggles
16-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Also, fast forward to 37 minutes in this for some epic melodrama from Eamonn Dunphy on the Messi/Suarez penalty. He sounds like he's had a few too many too.

http://www.rte.ie/cspodcasts/media.mp3?c1=2&c2=16951747&ns_site=test&ns_type=cl ickin&rte_vs_ct=aud&rte_vs_sc=pod&rte_mt_sec=radio &rte_vs_sn=2fm&rte_mt_pub_dt=2016-02-15&rte_mt_prg_name=test-gameon&title=Monday%27s%20Game%20On%20-%2015%2F2%2F16&c7=http%3A%2F%2Fpodcast.rasset.ie%2 Fpodcasts%2Faudio%2F2016%2F0215%2F20160215_rte2fm-gameon-mondaysgam_c20935477_20935478_232_.mp3&r=http%3A%2 F%2Fpodcast.rasset.ie%2Fpodcasts%2Faudio%2F2016%2F 0215%2F20160215_rte2fm-gameon-mondaysgam_c20935477_20935478_232_.mp3

phonics
18-02-2016, 12:12 PM
The Washington Post are doing a kind of biography podcast for every president leading up to the election

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/presidential-podcast/

Chrissy
18-02-2016, 11:06 PM
https://soundcloud.com/chrissy-ross-2/ep-10-giving-it-laldy-mone-tae-fk

Giggles
26-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Not bad going.

http://www.joe.ie/sport/video-irish-football-fans-turn-up-at-dublin-pub-and-end-up-being-surprised-with-the-trip-of-a-lifetime-to-arsenal-v-barcelona/532467

phonics
29-02-2016, 11:55 AM
My Brother, My Brother And Me is probably one of the funniest podcasts I've heard. There's a level of chemistry you get from them that's impossible to create.

It's billed as an 'advice show' which is why I never gave it a chance and then after running out of pods yesterday, decided to give it a go. And then you find out the questions are taken from the bowels of Yahoo Answers and are such things as 'How do I lose weight in my hands, I can't reach the bottom of the PB jar with the knife and my fingers won't fit'. And then they just riff for 20 minutes. Good stuff.

Giggles
08-03-2016, 07:05 PM
CJay

CJay
08-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Never listened to that podcast before. Is it any good? Who does it?

Giggles
08-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Never listened to that podcast before. Is it any good? Who does it?

Normally Joe Molloy, Nathan Murphy, and Colm Parkinson. It's basically Newstalk's nightly 7-9pm sports show but they upload it in separate podcasts by sport. Normally on the soccer bits they've John Giles and Pat Nevin, with Stuart Byrne on the Airtricity one.

CJay
08-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Normally Joe Molloy, Nathan Murphy, and Colm Parkinson. It's basically Newstalk's nightly 7-9pm sports show but they upload it in separate podcasts by sport. Normally on the soccer bits they've John Giles and Pat Nevin, with Stuart Byrne on the Airtricity one.

Nice one, might whack it on for the drive to work in the morning. Cheers for the heads up on that Harps piece.

John
14-03-2016, 05:58 PM
The Bugle is quite good. There's a new one out and they're going monthly from now on, apparently, which is ideal.

Boydy
17-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Finished season one of Serial yesterday. It's so good. Did we ever have a thread about it? Is the second season as good?

I've been listening to In Our Time as well. It's great. I wish Melvyn Bragg was my grandad.

Philosophy Bites is quite good too but Nigel Warburton has an awful voice.

Any recommendations along these lines? Documentary/informative type stuff?

igor_balis
17-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Any recommendations along these lines? Documentary/informative type stuff?
Worth subscribing to BBC Radio 4 documentaries and BBC World Service documentaries and just listening to any that sound interesting.

phonics
17-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Hardcore History is good.

Shindig
17-03-2016, 02:01 PM
I've fallen down a horrible rabbithole of anti-DarkSydePhil stuff. Sons of Kojima, in particular.

The peak being Fred's debate with DSP fan Sammy Samosa. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guYOm_QDfxw)

phonics
22-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Will Bailey and some other guy have started a podcast where they'll watch an episode of West Wing per week and then do a podcast on it.

http://thewestwingweekly.com/

As if I needed an excuse to watch the whole thing again.

Boydy
22-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Really enjoying season 2 of Serial, possibly even more than the first.

Is there a way to have the reply to thread box open already on the mobile skin without having to click it and have it load? A lot of the time it doesn't open for me or takes ages to do so. Might just be because I have shitty signal.

Boydy
12-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Josie Long and Robin Ince's Bookshambles is pretty good. They just bring a guest on and talk about books they like and veer off on other tangents like film and so on as well. Depends on the guest how good it is though, really.

Those Conspiracy Guys (http://thoseconspiracyguys.com/) is pretty good too. Some Irish lads talking over various conspiracy theories. They're funny too.

Giggles
14-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Those Conspiracy Guys (http://thoseconspiracyguys.com/) is pretty good too. Some Irish lads talking over various conspiracy theories. They're funny too.

Was going to give the latest one a go as I'd done all my others, but 6 hours? I thought Pocket Casts was displaying the time wrong at first.

Giggles
15-05-2016, 05:14 PM

Boydy
15-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Was going to give the latest one a go as I'd done all my others, but 6 hours? I thought Pocket Casts was displaying the time wrong at first.

Is it? Fucking hell. The ones I'd been listening to were about two hours maybe but six is just ridiculous.

Giggles
15-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Is it? Fucking hell. The ones I'd been listening to were about two hours maybe but six is just ridiculous.

361 minutes for the Nazi one. Maybe it's a data error but I downloaded Podcast Republic and Player FM to check and they said the same.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2mw9jdg.png

Is that the right one?

Boydy
15-05-2016, 06:00 PM
Yeah that's it. I wouldn't bother with it at that length. It's not that good.

igor_balis
15-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Finally started listening to hardcore history, it is pretty great.

Boydy
20-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Changed my mind about Those Conspiracy Guys. It's worth listening to even at that length, I reckon. Especially if you're in work anyway.

John
20-05-2016, 09:22 AM
The paragraph of that media description Giggles has posted reads like Diljeet got his hands on an episode of The X-Files.

spokej
20-05-2016, 10:31 AM
I've been listening to TCG since they started. They're a good length for zoning out to at work and passing the day but I can see how some are put off by the six hour marathons, they could do with chopping it into parts at times.

I prefer their 'real event' stuff like 9/11, JFK, Diana etc to things like John Titor and Nibiru as they tend to waffle on too much and go far too deep to follow what they're on about unless you have a good knowledge of it.

Giggles
20-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Changed my mind about Those Conspiracy Guys. It's worth listening to even at that length, I reckon. Especially if you're in work anyway.
Going to Cork and Galway Monday so I might give it a listen now that all the football is finished. Probably be 9 hours driving at least.

Boydy
20-05-2016, 12:47 PM
I've been listening to TCG since they started. They're a good length for zoning out to at work and passing the day but I can see how some are put off by the six hour marathons, they could do with chopping it into parts at times.

I prefer their 'real event' stuff like 9/11, JFK, Diana etc to things like John Titor and Nibiru as they tend to waffle on too much and go far too deep to follow what they're on about unless you have a good knowledge of it.

I quite liked the Jonh Titor one as I remmber reading about him on the internet years ago.

The Jonestown one is good.

spokej
20-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Aye, MK Ultra and Maddy McCann are probably my two favourites so far.

Giggles
19-09-2016, 06:30 PM
Marcotti was in extra wanker mode on today's Second Captains Football Podcast.

igor_balis
20-09-2016, 11:31 PM
Colin Murray is back on Fighting Talk! I know he's a divisive one and a lot of people think he's an annoying twat but I really like him and think he really suits the show. I'm quite giddy about this lads.

Adamski
22-09-2016, 02:46 PM
Marcotti was in extra wanker mode on today's Second Captains Football Podcast.

Quite like this podcast. It's good they do one about the Irish shite and another about EPL, I thought I was going to have to listen through it to hear the good stuff.

phonics
22-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Quite like this podcast. It's good they do one about the Irish shite and another about EPL, I thought I was going to have to listen through it to hear the good stuff.

The other one is about sports in general. The All-Ireland Football podcast you're referencing is gaelic football. When there's not massive Irish events like that it's just the 'other sports' podcast. For example todays has a bit of Hurling, coverage of the Colin Kaepernick protest and boxing.

Jimmy Floyd
22-09-2016, 02:50 PM
I haven't seen/heard from Marcotti in absolutely years. Is he still a try hard?

Giggles
22-09-2016, 03:09 PM

I find that very handy too when the 6 nations is on as I can completely ignore the non football one then. If it was all in one big long podcast I'd say most wouldn't bother with it.
The other podcast doesn't tend to be exclusively Irish sports though. Just a big portion of it at this time of the year.

Giggles
30-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Joining the 'odious twat on football podcast' list previously populated by Marcotti and Glendenning is a new number 1 in Graham (Graeme) Hunter. Another to be skipped.

Adamski
30-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Hes a nightmare on those podcasts. Turns into a simpering mess which is a shame as I generally like him on other things.

Giggles
30-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Hes a nightmare on those podcasts. Turns into a simpering mess which is a shame as I generally like him on other things.

I think I recall him a few times on Off the Ball before and he was never too bad, but he's insufferable lately.

Kikó
30-09-2016, 07:00 PM
I've been listening to serial the last couple of weeks. First series was well paced but still felt like it missed something. This is a prompt bump though as I'm looking for other things to listen to.

Giggles
30-09-2016, 07:02 PM
I've been listening to serial the last couple of weeks. First series was well paced but still felt like it missed something. This is a prompt bump though as I'm looking for other things to listen to.

Never got around to Serial but Limetown is supposedly something similar. It was a bit meh but had its moments.

John
30-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Joining the 'odious twat on football podcast' list previously populated by Marcotti and Glendenning is a new number 1 in Graham (Graeme) Hunter. Another to be skipped.

I quite like Barry Glendenning. There will never be a podcast guest on any subject worse than Fernando Duarte though, so Hunter is playing for second place at best.

Adamski
30-09-2016, 07:09 PM
I quite like Barry Glendenning. There will never be a podcast guest on any subject worse than Fernando Duarte though, so Hunter is playing for second place at best.

My mate took Duarte to a Rangers game once. Absolutely batshit crazy by all accounts.

Giggles
30-09-2016, 07:09 PM

I used to like Glendenning but he seems to have slipped into character too much and is way too throwaway and flippant about everything now.

Jimmy Floyd
30-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Glendenning has such a massive ego for what he is (a middle of the road sports hack) it's quite funny to behold really.

Marcotti used to be full on pretentious, I haven't seen him around of late so he must be writing a very boring book.

Giggles
30-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Glendenning has such a massive ego for what he is (a middle of the road sports hack) it's quite funny to behold really.

Marcotti used to be full on pretentious, I haven't seen him around of late so he must be writing a very boring book.

He's on second captains a lot of weeks. Mostly breathing heavily and getting angry.

Giggles
04-11-2016, 06:53 PM
He's so wrong most of the time that he's good value. Hopefully he does a few pissed like he does be on the 2fm podcast :drool:

https://www.balls.ie/football/eamon-dunphy-podcast/350770

Giggles
28-11-2016, 05:40 PM
He's so wrong most of the time that he's good value. Hopefully he does a few pissed like he does be on the 2fm podcast :drool:

https://www.balls.ie/football/eamon-dunphy-podcast/350770

Well this is absolute shite due to all three guests (Giles, Brady, and Hamann) being on the phone. One thing I cannot abide on podcasts/radio.

The Merse
28-11-2016, 11:02 PM
Not a single Tuesday Club since April of last year. There appears a correlation between low frequency of them and results being positive though, so I'll take that.

Giggles
06-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Hamann :D

https://www.thestandwitheamondunphy.com/contributors/

Dquincy
06-12-2016, 11:47 PM
Football ramble

phonics
22-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Set Piece Menu, which while coming across as incredibly smug, is a nice chat about 'football' rather than what happened last week. I hope they keep it up.

https://twitter.com/setpiecemenu

Giggles
22-12-2016, 09:22 PM
Set Piece Menu, which while coming across as incredibly smug, is a nice chat about 'football' rather than what happened last week. I hope they keep it up.

https://twitter.com/setpiecemenu

Does it continue on each week? I just downloaded ep3 and it seemed to just jump straight in with no intro. Near started mid sentence.

phonics
22-12-2016, 09:30 PM
I did exactly the same thing having seen a retweet. They've bothered to open a twitter handle so I have to assume so.

Giggles
05-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Dunphys started well but he seems to have completely forgotten about football now. Last week he'd some lad on boring the world about cycling and this week he's an interview about the life of some journalist mate of his.

Giggles
06-01-2017, 05:06 PM
He's back to the football and also got Souness on :drool:

That inclusion means all is forgiven. Souness should be on more of these things.

Giggles
06-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Second Captains is going (sort of) subscription.

phonics
06-02-2017, 02:28 PM
How so? I'm at work. Are they doing it like the rest, keeping the four shows and then doing specials or what?

Max Power
06-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Sounds like the Monday shows will remain but if you sign up you get a new show every day. At a fiver a month I might do it tbh, it's a really good show.

Giggles
06-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Yeah basically that. You still get the two on Monday free via whatever Podcast app you use. Then one a day on Tuesday to Friday will be for €5 a month via www.secondcaptains.com. They said Richie Sadlier will probably present one, but I'd still fear they won't all be sport. They've been veering a bit towards political stuff lately.

phonics
06-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Ah balls. I only listen to the Football show and US Murph sections. A new podcast every day would be handy though.

Max Power
06-02-2017, 02:50 PM
The Sadlier interviews were pretty cool last month, would be down for more of that.

Giggles
06-02-2017, 02:51 PM
I'd say the football show will still be one of the two on Monday. I'll give it a month anyway and see, you can leave an email address on their website to be notified when you can sign up.

Giggles
07-02-2017, 09:32 PM
From their page on Patreon.

This is a subscription pledge. By becoming a patron, you are agreeing to pay this creator per month until you cancel. How it works
The Second Captains World Service for €5
$5.35+ per month

Complete access to all our podcasts on the World Service including The Second Captains Podcast, Second Captains Football, Ken Early Politics Show and all breaking news podcasts.

For €5 a month, you get:

The Second Captaineer induction pack which includes an SC badge (not available elsewhere), personalised sketching from Ken Early (Cantona, Klopp or Devin Toner) and our exciting welcome note (it's exciting).

A private link to get all our shows on any podcast player on your phone or tablet.

Priority notice for all live events with advance warning of ticket release dates.

Discounts on everything in the Second Captains Shop.

Our love (again in exciting welcome note form).

phonics
07-02-2017, 10:59 PM
I'm not paying a fiver to hear Kens theory on smartphones again. I am really. But at this point I'm paying for:

Giant Bomb $5
Second Captains $5
Chapo Trap House $5
Cum Town $5

I'll be reaching Sky levels supporting about 7 programs soon enough.

Giggles
07-02-2017, 11:23 PM
I'm just glad that from reading that that it seems they'll be available some way using your regular pod app. I couldn't be arsed with website streaming if that's how they were doing the paywall stuff.

Boydy
07-02-2017, 11:44 PM
Someone recommend me something good. I've been really enjoying the Infinite Monkey Cage recently but I could do with some variety. The Freakonomics Radio podcast is alright too but it's a bit too American.

Giggles
08-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Someone recommend me something good. I've been really enjoying the Infinite Monkey Cage recently but I could do with some variety. The Freakonomics Radio podcast is alright too but it's a bit too American.

Ever listen to Casefile?

phonics
08-02-2017, 09:40 AM
I'm just glad that from reading that that it seems they'll be available some way using your regular pod app. I couldn't be arsed with website streaming if that's how they were doing the paywall stuff.

Nah it's really easy. You get an RSS feed that you just pop it in the search field and log-in.

Boydy
08-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Ever listen to Casefile?

Nah, what's it?

Giggles
08-02-2017, 12:17 PM
Nah, what's it?

True crime case thing. I gave it a go ages ago but just let it go because it was a bit laborious and I hadn't time for it with other ones. Heard a couple of lads raving about it recently though, might be worth a listen if it's your kind of thing.

phonics
08-02-2017, 12:28 PM
99% Invisible
Dan Carlins Hardcore History
Stuff You Should Know

On that sort of thing Boyd.

Desert Island Discs is surprisingly enjoyable.

Boydy
08-02-2017, 12:46 PM
I tried 99% Invisible today actually. Quite liked it.

I didn't really like Stuff You Should Know. I find a lot of the American ones are a bit annoying.

Max Power
08-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History is good. Only 10 episodes so far though, dunno if he plans to do more.

phonics
08-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Jeremy Scahill of The Intercept has started a podcast by the by if you want your 'The Deep State Is Evil' with spoken word from Brother Ali and Immortal Technique interspersed between.

He also plays some funny stuff, last week they did an audio transcription of an NSA newsletter that had been sent to them which contained a TripAdvisor esque review of an agents trip to Guantanamo Bay :D The guy who organises the scuba diving is very helpful apparently.

John Arne
08-02-2017, 01:32 PM
I got tired of Stuff You Should Know - I actually thought a lot of their topics were poorly researched. I emailed them once and highlighted a fairly major error they had made (politely) and one of them just replied "you must be fun at parties".

I was devastated.

phonics
08-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Yeah I stopped listening after the first 50-60 episodes where they covered the really weird stuff.

Jimmy Floyd
08-02-2017, 02:27 PM
I tried 99% Invisible today actually. Quite liked it.

I didn't really like Stuff You Should Know. I find a lot of the American ones are a bit annoying.

I find with podcasts that no matter how good the material is, if it's done in an American accent I tire of it very rapidly.

They also tend to waffle to unbelievable degrees for reasons I'm not quite sure. Maybe just bad editing.

Boydy
08-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History is good. Only 10 episodes so far though, dunno if he plans to do more.
Yeah, I've listened to all of it. It's really good.

Boydy
08-02-2017, 03:23 PM
I find with podcasts that no matter how good the material is, if it's done in an American accent I tire of it very rapidly.

They also tend to waffle to unbelievable degrees for reasons I'm not quite sure. Maybe just bad editing.

The ones that aren't made for radio are really bad for that.

phonics
08-02-2017, 03:34 PM
It's the entire point of the format lads. It's like complaining that Father Ted only has two camera angles for any scene.

Adamski
08-02-2017, 04:20 PM
I got tired of Stuff You Should Know - I actually thought a lot of their topics were poorly researched. I emailed them once and highlighted a fairly major error they had made (politely) and one of them just replied "you must be fun at parties".

I was devastated.

:D

John
08-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Someone recording a podcast about, I assume, obscure knowledge complaining that someone else is a bore is a bit off. They must be absolute wankers.

Giggles
13-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Playing away at Turf Moor is "like fighting a tramp in a wheelie bin". :D that's worth this month's fiver alone.

Looking forward to Sadliers interview with Dyche later in the week too.

Giggles
14-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Dubland has been getting better by the week. Wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but PJ Gallagher ranting about food and restaurant wankery is fucking class. He's my new hero.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-530592989/dubalnd-58

phonics
16-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Giggles do you want to download todays Second Captains and upload it for us? I'm (surprise, surprise) broke.

Adamski
16-02-2017, 03:33 PM
You said you had 50 quid you cunt.

phonics
16-02-2017, 03:42 PM
For food not podcasts.

Giggles
16-02-2017, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure how to do it without my unique ID for podcast apps getting flagged but I'll see can I do it some way. I listen via pocketcasts so I never get an actual MP3 file for any podcast.

Giggles
17-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Can't do it. I even tried this morning by downloading it on the work tablet that I've root access on but the podcast app doesn't leave a visible MP3 file, same way Play Music or Spotify downloads don't either. Neither does Patreon and I can't download the paid ones from Soundcloud.

Only hope is if I get a couple of really quiet hours later and play it on one device while using the voice recorder on another.

Dquincy
18-02-2017, 11:27 PM
I've mentioned it on here before, but does no one listen to the football ramble?

What about this American Life?

I tried someone knows something, but it is a bit shit apart for inappropriate comments by the narrator.

Giggles
25-02-2017, 08:48 AM
Second Captain's hasn't been bad so far. I think from them all I only skipped the politics one, some rugby special, and one about a junkie rowing across the Atlantic, so it's been well worth the money. Doing an extra one in the morning yesterday for the Ranieri sacking was a decent touch too.

Max Power
25-02-2017, 08:59 AM
A champions league edition of Ken's Goooooools as well :drool:

Giggles
25-02-2017, 09:09 AM
A champions league edition of Ken's Goooooools as well :drool:

:D that was his best one yet.

Adamski
25-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Remind me what the deal is with it now? Sub only?

Max Power
25-02-2017, 11:40 AM
The Monday shows are free but if you subscribe you get four more shows a week.

Giggles
04-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Worth the fiver a month alone.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hdxno0.png

Dquincy
10-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Up and Vanished

Really good crime podcast. Recommend you listen to it without googling as you'll find spoilers.

Giggles
10-04-2017, 07:21 PM
S-Town wasn't bad.

The Merse
10-04-2017, 07:37 PM
The Sadlier interviews were pretty cool last month, would be down for more of that.

I'd that the 'Neil Harris of Ireland' Richard Sadlier or some journo chap?

Giggles
10-04-2017, 07:45 PM
I'd that the 'Neil Harris of Ireland' Richard Sadlier or some journo chap?

The ex Millwall footballer if that's who that means.

The Merse
10-04-2017, 08:42 PM
The ex Millwall footballer if that's who that means.

Yup. Old fashioned Millwall centre forward, one cap (B for Scotland in Harris's case IIRC), career damaged/ended by injury at key stage - that's the comparison.

Giggles
10-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Yup. Old fashioned Millwall centre forward, one cap (B for Scotland in Harris's case IIRC), career damaged/ended by injury at key stage - that's the comparison.

I'd no idea who Harris was but sounds familiar enough indeed. He does loads of League of Ireland and international TV stuff here now after a spell running St. Pats Athletic.

And of course his main claim to fame:

https://m0.joe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/sadliercaption.jpg

John
10-04-2017, 08:55 PM
:D

One of the CV notes for a fighter on the UFC at the weekend was something like 'Hosts MMA Access podcast', which suggests a fairly poor list of fighting achievements.

Giggles
15-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Niall Quinn came across so much better than on TV in the SC Sadlier interview. Really good listen, wasn't expecting it to be.

Boydy
28-06-2017, 09:03 PM
I'm running out of good podcasts. Gimme me some suggestions.

Spikey M
28-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Tanis and The Black Tapes. I find/found them decent listening. They're basically radio style horrors/thrillers. The same people also make a Podcast call Rabbits but I can't really get into it.

Giggles
28-06-2017, 09:07 PM

The GAA Hour :cool:

Boydy
28-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Tanis and The Black Tapes. I find/found them decent listening. They're basically radio style horrors/thrillers. The same people also make a Podcast call Rabbits but I can't really get into it.

Just looked up those. The Black Tapes. Do you want me to have nightmares?

CJay
28-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Anyone interested in tech - The Vergecast is really good.

Giggles
28-06-2017, 09:13 PM
Yeah I'd second the Verge one too.

CJay
28-06-2017, 09:21 PM
Sometimes they talk a bit too much about politics, so Boydy might even like it.

phonics
28-06-2017, 09:24 PM

You listen to ChapoTrapHouse? Start around election season and then go back and forth from there. Bit Tankie but super funny.

Set Pieces Menu is a good football one, couldn't reccomend somewhere to start though.

CoolGamesInc is a fun one where two guys just riff on making video games based off crowd suggestions. Think of it as Jim'll Paint it for an aural generation. There are animated 'best of' clips on youtube if you want a preview. Griffin McElroy, one of the guys on that podcast also does My Brother, My Brother and Me which is what they're properly known for, it's a comedy advice show where they 'agony uncle' super weird Yahoo Answer questions. I got so into their shit that I ended up listening to an audio D&D campaign that they've been running for 3 years called 'The Adventure Zone' and despite having no interest in D&D whatsoever and it literally being an audio version of people playing fucking D&D, it's probably one of my favourite podcasts.

Giggles
28-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Sometimes they talk a bit too much about politics, so Boydy might even like it.

You've just had half the board subscribe.

Boydy
28-06-2017, 09:25 PM
I dunno, I had a look at it and I'm not sure it's really for me. I like some aspects of 'tech', I guess, but I find that whole 'world' a bit up its own arse in general. Start-up founders thinking their saviours of humanity and all that shit. Look mate, all you've done is enable people to do something they could already do before but through a phone.

Boydy
28-06-2017, 09:27 PM
You listen to ChapoTrapHouse? Start around election season and then go back and forth from there. Bit Tankie but super funny.

Set Pieces Menu is a good football one, couldn't reccomend somewhere to start though.

CoolGamesInc is a fun one where two guys just riff on making video games based off crowd suggestions. Think of it as Jim'll Paint it for an aural generation. There are animated 'best of' clips on youtube if you want a preview. Griffin McElroy, one of the guys on that podcast also does My Brother, My Brother and Me which is what they're properly known for, it's a comedy advice show where they 'agony uncle' super weird Yahoo Answer questions. I got so into their shit that I ended up listening to an audio D&D campaign that they've been running for 3 years called 'The Adventure Zone' and despite having no interest in D&D whatsoever and it literally being an audio version of people playing fucking D&D, it's probably one of my favourite podcasts.

I saw people talking about ChapoTrapHouse on Twitter but I was wary of it because I tried Reel Politik or whatever it's called because of Twitter and it was fucking irritating. It was like someone just shouting left Twitter in my ear for an hour. And the production values weren't great.

phonics
31-07-2017, 09:46 AM
The Football Weekly crew are breaking up :(

http://www.football365.com/news/exclusive-james-richardson-to-leave-guardian-football-weekly

It's getting to the point where there are going to be too many podcasts to subscribe to.

Jimmy Floyd
31-07-2017, 09:56 AM
lol at that becoming too big for the Guardian.

phonics
31-07-2017, 10:09 AM
I love how they put 'Producer Ben' like anyone gives one iota of a fuck about him. They started a football podcast with everyones favourite host on the, at the time, largest sports news site on the web when it was them or Football Ramble (literally 3 blokes no-one had heard of and an Absolute Radio DJ in their kitchen), no-one else would jump on podcasts for another year or two which makes him think he can he write this:

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41oAmnFdViL._SY346_.jpg

seethe over.

Giggles
01-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Luckily Ken Early was shite when he guest presented Football Weekly so at least there's no chance he ends up on it.

His denials today :D

Giggles
03-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Max Rushden.

Giggles
08-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Richardson:

https://audioboom.com/channel/the-totally-football-show-with-james-richardson

Adamski
08-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Yoko Macintosh :D

Manc
08-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Athletico Mince is a fooking hoot.

John
08-08-2017, 10:36 PM
The Totally Football Show is an abysmal name for a thing. I guarantee that started off as 'Total Football Show' before some bright spark realised that's already a thing.

There was some Guardian journo on Football Weekly a while back talking about how it would be his last one because he was off to go freelance, and there was a slight air of hostility around the whole thing.

John Arne
09-08-2017, 03:22 AM
Just listened to the new one with AC Jimbo. It was fine, and felt very Football Weekly. Why change a good thing, I guess.

Julien Laurens is still a massive hypocrite... last season he complained about Man City buying so many players and not giving youth a chance, and on this pod his criticised Tottenham for not buying a back-up for Trippier, and instead having to rely on youth. He is constantly moaning about every decision any club makes. Douche.

Spammer
09-08-2017, 06:42 AM
Is there a podcast dedicated to the Championship? I've heard that there is.

Giggles
09-08-2017, 06:51 AM
There used to be one called We Are Going Up but it stopped last year. Talksport do one every Monday for the Football League, which I presume would be mostly Championship.

Giggles
09-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Is there a podcast dedicated to the Championship? I've heard that there is.

Just seen this in my feed too but it's Keith Andrews so probably best avoided.

http://pca.st/0AD6

Jimmy Floyd
09-08-2017, 08:16 AM
The Irish seem to be pioneers in football podcasts/media. Pack out stadia for Football Weekly Live and the like. I guess it's due to the lack of good stuff they get to see on home soil.

Giggles
09-08-2017, 08:19 AM
The Irish seem to be pioneers in football podcasts/media. Pack out stadia for Football Weekly Live and the like. I guess it's due to the lack of good stuff they get to see on home soil.

90% of the Off The Ball stuff is just radio that they replay as podcasts. Newstalk Radio every night from 7-10pm is totally dedicated to sport, though too much Andrews and Kenny Cunningham make it a bit of a turn-off for football.

There's definitely something in it though, as I'm really surprised Second Captains have lasted this long with the subscription thing as they have. I thought it would have fell on its arse by now. Their live shows sell out in seconds too (albeit at small venues).

Lofty
09-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Athletico Mince is a fooking hoot.

The longer it goes on I feel Bob gets stronger and Andy gets weaker.

Luke and Pete's summer was a nice Ramble spin off, not so sure about their new European football pod 'On the Continent' though.

As a massive geek I love Talking Simpsons and Thirty Twenty Ten from Lazer Time, wouldn't recommend if you can't handle the yank accents though.

Given New Statesman a bash recently which is alright.

Giggles
11-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Decent season preview. Poor Giles still thinks it's the 1970's.

https://www.thestandwitheamondunphy.com

(Also has loads of episodes on US politics for everyone to furiously masturbate over).

phonics
14-08-2017, 07:36 AM
I don't even listen to the content anymore but I still follow the account because it is hilariously unaware.

For an example, he's a picture of Graham 'Bad Boy of Barcelona' Hunter wearing leopard print sunglasses during the day.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHJbreuXgAAHtS0.jpg:large

Giggles
14-08-2017, 07:40 AM
He's an instant turn off no matter what he's on.

John
15-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Episode two of The Totally Football Show features Leroy Rosenior moaning that he's 'absolutely exhausted' from having watched all the Premiership games at the weekend on a bank of screens.

Jimmy Floyd
15-08-2017, 08:18 AM
I took that as a banterous comment about how much ACTION there was, rather than an actual moan.

Lofty
18-08-2017, 07:36 AM
The only thing to tell FW and TFS apart are Barry and Jimbo, respectively.

phonics
18-08-2017, 07:43 AM
It is a bit weird, I thought they'd at least try not to have the same rotating guests.

Jimmy Floyd
18-08-2017, 07:46 AM
TFS will prove to be quite a lot better I think, although having Michael Cox whine his way through both of them already has been a shame.

Max Power
18-08-2017, 08:09 AM
I've already binned Football Weekly. Just not enough room for all the football podcasts dropping on Monday/Thursday. Let alone all the other podcasts on my feed. Football Ramble dropping a new European roundup on Thursdays now as well.

Raoul Duke
18-08-2017, 08:14 AM
I started listening to The Comedian's Comedian (http://www.comedianscomedian.com) which is pretty interesting

Giggles
18-08-2017, 08:39 AM
I gave TFS a try but I'd already binned Football Weekly even when Richardson was on it so it's not enough to make me make time for it. Between Second Captains, The Stand, and some of the Off the Ball stuff, I've soccer fairly covered daily.

Reg
22-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Having both podcasts suits me. I like Max Rushden, but I also like James Richardson and could do without Barry sometimes, so I'll choose between them each Monday/Thursday.

This week I listened to both the Monday shows, and it proved a bit much having the same things discussed twice.

The Jimbo/Neymar comparisons were good on the first FW.

phonics
30-08-2017, 09:28 AM
With the Football Ramble doing a spin-off as well as 5Live doing a European podcast. It's getting insane.

Monday - Football Weekly, Totally Football, Second Captains, The Game
Tuesday - Football Ramble, Monday Night Club, Euro Leagues Podcast
Wednesday - On The Continent, Set Piece Menu

To discuss one weekends worth of football. There's only so many takes.

Boydy
30-08-2017, 09:50 AM
How can you even be arsed with football podcasts?

Jimmy Floyd
30-08-2017, 10:20 AM
The best one I listen to is a Chelsea one, which is because they're able to go into some sort of detail rather than just 'So, Man Utd beat Stoke, Pogba! Arsenal lost, Wenger out? And now over to Sancho Panza for some thinly veiled transfer leaks that turn out to be total bollocks.'

phonics
30-08-2017, 10:22 AM
As you can imagine, the Arsenal specific ones are unbearable to listen to at this point. And Alan Davies stopped doing the Tuesday Club so there's not even a decent gallows humour one.

CJay
30-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Iain MacIntosh was hinting this week that there will be a Totally Football Show (what a terrible name for a podcast btw - and the Telegraph have a similar name, too) spin off Football League podcast happening.

It'll last two episodes probably, when they realise no one cares enough.

phonics
30-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Yeah, there's always a new one of those that lasts about 6 weeks before people realise they don't care about the football league outside of their team.