PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever won anything?

Toby
25-09-2015, 10:52 AM
I got a letter today to say I'd been nominated for a local "Young Volunteer of the Year" award. It was a nice surprise, especially as I was put forward by somebody in the community rather than just somebody from one of the organisations I've supported looking for a mutual pat on the back. However, I'm fairly certain I won't win it (and feel a bit of an imposter being nominated in the "Young" category of anything), a pessimistic thought that led to the realisation I've never really won anything.

Obviously there have been chance based things (football bets, puzzle competitions my granny submitted in my name, TTH Most Underrated etc) and things that don't really mean anything (participation certificates, my catalogue of e-victories over Harold) but nothing for actual achievements.

So I thought I'd give you all the opportunity to show how much more impressive you are. Hopefully we're not all such bitter disappointments.

(Yes, Lewis. We know, Lewis.)

SvN
25-09-2015, 10:55 AM
I won a football signed by the 1997-98 Walsall team in a raffle.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
25-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Long drive champion 3 years on the trot (Golf...)

Spammer
25-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Oxford poetry slam Champion 2014 here

Lewis
25-09-2015, 10:58 AM
In year two, during my short-lived spell with the Beaver Scouts, I won a nationwide competition to design a Christmas card. I was in the local paper and everything (I'll try to find the cutting when I get home).

igor_balis
25-09-2015, 10:59 AM
I won a CBBC bag and a football shaped clock when I phoned in to one of their game shows. Calvin from S Club Juniors was shooting people with a water pistol on my behalf when I got questions right. It was great.

wullie
25-09-2015, 11:01 AM
I won a t-shirt for Letter of the Day in the Guardian's Fiver mailout, despite never having sent them a letter.

SvN
25-09-2015, 11:01 AM
I did win a Maths award at school when I scored the highest mark in the school's history in my year 9 SATs. I didn't bother turning up to the award ceremony, and my maths teacher was absolutely fuming the day after. She made me work outside the class.

phonics
25-09-2015, 11:02 AM
As mentioned earlier I won a costume contest for a Bill & Ben the flowerpot men costume and also won a prize for raising the most money for charity on year when I was about 6. Basically I haven't achieved anything since the age of 7.

igor_balis
25-09-2015, 11:03 AM
I know that feeling, Phonics.

Nick
25-09-2015, 11:19 AM
I won a £20 Early Learning Centre voucher when I was a kid. I swapped it for cash with my mum.

Jesus, I really have won fuck all in my life. :D

Disco
25-09-2015, 11:29 AM
I won the race that the ski school put on at the end of our school trip despite being in the shit group because it was my first time. I also have a Devon Cup (Rugby) winners medal from U15 or U16 year.

Jimmy Floyd
25-09-2015, 11:45 AM
I won a Surrey under 11 singing competition (never the same after my voice broke).

I've also won various cricket awards over the years, despite being pretty rubbish. This year the team I captain won the title which was the most satisfying of the lot and I get to have the trophy presented to me by Graham Thorpe next week.

phonics
25-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Oh thinking about it I also won the Year 5 Talent Show with a Dance to Ant & Dec's seminal hit, Lets Get Ready To Rumble.

Vim
25-09-2015, 11:49 AM
I won a nationwide (Denmark) competition for German speaking a few years ago. Basically all the schools where pupils learned German participated and I came first. Won an iPad, not bad.

ItalAussie
25-09-2015, 11:51 AM
I won a colouring-in competition as a 9-year old. Got four tickets to Free Willy.

Foe
25-09-2015, 11:53 AM
I've a scottish challenge cup (youth) winners medal from my football days (when it was sponsored by Bells).
I got the Dux medal for my school when I was doing my Highers.

Nothing special. I used to win shit regularly in my youth in a sporting / academic context.

Toby
25-09-2015, 12:00 PM
I ended up getting better grades than the guy who got the Dux medal at our school (up to fourth year, don't think there was one for Highers), so I'll take that as a win on principle.

My granny donated the medal in my grandfather's name but none of her grandchildren managed to win it. :(

Weaver
25-09-2015, 12:07 PM
I won a 'Best Attitude' trophy at a Newcastle United Football in the Community thing when I was around 7 or 8, which I might be able to find if I dig around a bit.

I haven't achieved anything since then, either.

Matt
25-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Loads, all football and cricket. 5 or 6 years ago now we won the leage, league cup, district cup and Yorkshire Old Boys shield at football, only team in the leagues history to win all 4 in the same season.

Cricket mainly individual awards, won batting and bowling averages for club 1st team, won the league batting averages one year, back when we were in division 2. Highlight has to be being part of the team that won the division 1 title and kepping our place in the Premier division for the past 5 seasons despite the lack of money we pay out compared to everyone else.

phonics
25-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Looky here boys, we've got a show off.

Burn him.

John Arne
25-09-2015, 12:26 PM
I won a 1998 Liverpool FC calendar from Soccer AM in about 1997.

The calendar took 6 months to get here, which was mid-1998. Useless.

igor_balis
25-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Edited because I felt bad.

Pepe
25-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Won a few Taekwondo tournaments as a kid (must have been around 10 at the time). Then also won the inaugural karting series when the track opened even though I was the youngest pilot (Adrian Fernandez gave me my trophy and everything). In my teens I did quite well in boxing, highlight being a third place in the Mexico City golden gloves. Then I stopped and went back to school and it all went to shit.

Pepe
25-09-2015, 12:37 PM
So has any of us achieved anything as an adult? :eyemouth:

phonics
25-09-2015, 12:42 PM
I just found out I passed the points score for emigration to Canada if that counts?

Jimmy Floyd
25-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Highlight has to be being part of the team that won the division 1 title and kepping our place in the Premier division for the past 5 seasons despite the lack of money we pay out compared to everyone else.

I thought at the top end of northern leagues it was just a competition to see who could hire the most mercenary scumbags in any given year? That and who can produce the juiciest April decks.

Benny
25-09-2015, 01:42 PM
I won a couple of skating competitions when I was a kid, but it wasn't anything major unfortunately, just got given free equipment and clothing. Can't think of anything else I've won on my own, I've been a part of teams that have won things and recently the company I work for won an award.

Giggles
25-09-2015, 01:57 PM
I won a TV gameshow once.

Benny
25-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Which one?

Sam
25-09-2015, 02:17 PM
A few gaming achievements...

Stormed to victory in the 2001 Barrysworld Proball (Quake 3 mod) league, it was a league of about 10 clans and we finished top, got a congratulations and some money which I never saw.

I've got quite a few swimming awards from when I was younger, mainly distance like 10,000metres and so forth.

randomlegend
25-09-2015, 02:35 PM
We won the schools county badminton league/cup every year I played. I captained the team.

Matt
25-09-2015, 03:16 PM
I thought at the top end of northern leagues it was just a competition to see who could hire the most mercenary scumbags in any given year? That and who can produce the juiciest April decks.

Pretty much yeah, one team were paying out 70k a season a few year ago. We've paid our overseas that last 2 years and that's it. Teams have started paying for 2nd team players now so they have a bigger squad to pick from

Andy
25-09-2015, 03:17 PM
I won 500 vCash last night. Might as well close the thread.

Baz
25-09-2015, 03:20 PM
I won Hardware Heaven's Game of the Year 2010 Competition, and got an awesome computer. It's still going strong, five years on.

Pen
25-09-2015, 03:46 PM
A few football tournaments and individual awards in football as a kid.

Latest must be most points (goals and assists) in our Floorball league last year.

Giggles
25-09-2015, 03:48 PM
I've a good few under age football and hurling medals at home too. Would be the equivalent to your under age Sunday league stuff. Meaningless, but fun at the time.

leedsrevolution
25-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Nothing great but I won a top of the range (at the time) I-pod following a free text coke can promotion. I've still got it and it's got a coke bottle inscribed on the back of it.

Samadini
25-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Won national championships and set records when I was able to triple jump.

Since then it's been a long, hard struggle just making sure I don't die.

Spoonsky
25-09-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm in the Homecoming Pageant next week (for extra credit innit), so I'll report back if I win that and becoming Homecoming King, which would be pretty lol. It's ultimately decided between the top 4 by a popular vote so I don't know how much of a chance I would stand, but I think my "talent" is pretty good.

Disco
25-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Clear something up for me, what the hell is a Homecoming and why is there a King of it?

Pepe
25-09-2015, 08:35 PM
High school in the US sounds so lol.

Giggles
25-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Spoonsky just lives in Glee.

Spoonsky
25-09-2015, 08:42 PM
High school in the US sounds so lol.

It is. "School spirit!!" is so stupid.

Homecoming is a dance and there's always a King and Queen of it from the senior class, not sure why.

Pepe
25-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Homecoming = prom?

Spammer
25-09-2015, 09:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1iJ_6ID5vI

CHOON

Utotri
25-09-2015, 10:52 PM
I was champion of the youth league at my local chess club when I was younger. Won it three times. Final year in the youths they started running a cup, won that as well. Should have won one league more, but whenever I played my best mate we drew on principle which cost me a league title, but I really couldn't care less. It was never about winning for me. This is actually quite odd, because in any other sport or game I have 20 determination.

ScousePig
26-09-2015, 07:50 AM
I won a talent contest at the Metrocentre once. I sang 'Three little dicky birds', or something. A couple of pool tournaments, and lots of football things: leagues, cups and individual awards.

Same with cricket, but fewer awards.

niko_cee
26-09-2015, 07:56 AM
I won a mini terracotta warrior statue off Blue Peter (and the obligatory Blue Peter Badge) for [correctly?] identifying the Great Wall of China as the only man made object identifiable from space, about 25 years ago.

I also won a restaurant voucher last year for texting something in to a local radio station. I thin I was probably the only person who bothered. Win.

Lee
26-09-2015, 08:16 AM
I don't think I've ever won anything. I don't even know if I've ever tried to win anything.

Toby
03-11-2015, 12:36 PM
I got a letter today to say I'd been nominated for a local "Young Volunteer of the Year" award. It was a nice surprise, especially as I was put forward by somebody in the community rather than just somebody from one of the organisations I've supported looking for a mutual pat on the back. However, I'm fairly certain I won't win it (and feel a bit of an imposter being nominated in the "Young" category of anything), a pessimistic thought that led to the realisation I've never really won anything.

I went along to the ceremony for this last night and much to my surprise actually did win it. To my further surprise there was a cash prize, £250 for me and £250 for the organisation that nominated me. So, that was pretty good I guess.

Boydy
03-11-2015, 12:42 PM
What volunteering do you do?

Toby
03-11-2015, 01:03 PM
The big one was organising a festival sort of thing over the summer. It was really big when I was younger but had been shit for years, with accusations of the previous committee stealing money and nobody really wanting to support them. I took it on and roped in a bunch of people to help, and organised things like a visit from a Glasgow Science Centre team to try and re-establish it as a family event rather than a piss up.

Then I also help with a couple of community organisations like my village hall and a boating club, "befriend" a young person who has been referred through social work and occasionally help at a youth club for kids with additional support needs.

Jimmy Floyd
03-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Fair dos.

QE Harold Flair
03-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Best Thread Starter

Pepe
03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Sorry for telling you to fuck off Toby mate.

AE
03-11-2015, 03:56 PM
I've won numerous football awards. But my favourite was that I won best cricketer for my whole highschool.

Giggles
03-11-2015, 07:05 PM
I've won numerous football awards. But my favourite was that I won best cricketer for my whole highschool.

That sounds so much more of an achievement now than it would have a month ago when I thought you were American.

Mazuuurk
03-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Oh I dunno, maybe just every single discussion I've ever had with monseigneur Harold Bishop on the internet.

DC
04-11-2015, 01:33 AM
Art competition when I was 9 for designing recycling / litter picking posters, got a great big box of crayola pens and shit for it.

Some Enterprise Initiative thing when 15/16.

Few rugby medals.

Smattering of employee awards.

Young Guardian competition thing in '99 or '00. Got published in a national paper.

Since then I (well, we, I'll give credit to the wife for answering a question about Evita in 2011) have won every general knowledge quiz or music quiz, or board-game type quiz ever.

My weakness is food, I know shag all about food.

QE Harold Flair
04-11-2015, 02:49 AM
Oh I dunno, maybe just every single discussion I've ever had with monseigneur Harold Bishop on the internet.

But crushing losses to Harold Flair.

Mazuuurk
04-11-2015, 09:18 PM
He's grasping for straws, watch the implosion right here lads.

AE
04-11-2015, 09:22 PM
That sounds so much more of an achievement now than it would have a month ago when I thought you were American.

Why did you think I was American?

I lolled :D

Giggles
04-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Why did you think I was American?

No idea. Do you live there?

TG09
04-11-2015, 09:38 PM
The other week I won a Black Mass film competition on a film website, and won a duffel bag, maglite touch, a phone portable charger and a beanie hat.

Won free tickets in the lotto, also won a few cinema double passes to watch some good films.

Wish I just won shit load of cash though