PDA

View Full Version : [FOOTBALL] The Manchester Derby...and Midweek Football!!

Pleb
25-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Today:
Premier League
Chelsea v Southampton - 19:45 (Sky Sports)

Championship
Wolves v Huddersfield - 19:45

League One
Walsall v Port Vale - 19:45

Tomorrow:
Premier League
Arsenal v Leicester City - 19:45
Middlesbrough v Sunderland - 19:45
Crystal Palace v Tottenham - 20:00 (Sky Sports)

Thursday:
Premier League
Manchester City v Manchester Utd - 20:00 (Sky Sports)

http://www.live-footballontv.com/

Giggles
25-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Thursday's an odd one for domestic.

Jimmy Floyd
25-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Wouldn't mind us bunging a 1-1 draw with the Saints just to watch the lulz as Tottenham crumble under the pressure.

Giggles
25-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't mind us bunging a 1-1 draw with the Saints just to watch the lulz as Tottenham crumble under the pressure.

Not better man than Sam to burst a bubble too.

Smiffy
25-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Here's hoping Chelsea drop points although I have them to win this one whilst dropping points to Everton. Either or will do on route to Spurs first title.

Hopefully City do the deed against United too, just because it'll piss me off something rotten if the inevitable happens.

Kikó
25-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Thursday's an odd one for domestic.

Due to the FA Cup semi final and Sunday premier fixture and only available date left in the calender.

No idea for Thursday. If we can avoid defeat, I think we can get into the top 4. I think we will be missing too many players and get a reaction from city after Sundays result.

Smiffy
25-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Arsenal

Leicester (h)
Tottenham (a)
Man United (h)
Southampton (a)
Stoke (a)
Sunderland (h)
Everton (h)

Liverpool

Watford (a)
Southampton (h)
West Ham (a)
Middlesbrough (h)

Man City

Man United (h)
Middlesbrough (a)
Crystal Palace (h)
Leicester (h)
West Brom (h)
Watford (a)

Man United

Man City (a)
Swansea (h)
Arsenal (a)
Tottenham (a)
Southampton (a)
Crystal Palace (h)

That's a tough ask, Kiko. Surely maximum points is the only way you'll do it as any dropped points in the away games suggests it's over to me. Then again, would probably be tougher if those were home games.

SvN
25-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Maximum points? Every single team will drop points between now and the end of the season. We can lose Thursday and we'll still have a good chance of finishing 4th.

Smiffy
25-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Not if Liverpool win there four as that's three of the four wrapped up then. You'd be relying on City to drop points only if you lose to them on Thursday and looking at there fixtures, I'd suggest that's unlikely. Less we forget you've now got major injury problems. I genuinely don't see it happening.

The Chelsea result in my mind has given you false optimism.

SvN
25-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but Liverpool won't win their four.

Smiffy
25-04-2017, 03:05 PM
I beg to differ, obviously but the pressure isn't on us it's on yourselves and City. I reckon we could win 3 out of the 4 and still be fine.

I really don't see it happening but obviously if you do then given that tricky list then you'd quite rightly deserve it but I feel the damage has already been done this season. Too many dropped points against shit (much like us actually)

Kikó
25-04-2017, 03:06 PM
I don't think I'm overly optimistic on it happening but I think we can get 10 points from there which may be enough. With the three big aways, i wouldn't be surprised if we only get 1 point or 0.

Smiffy
25-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Perhaps that's the part I'm struggling with. You've taken nine points in 7 games against your top four rivals whilst dropping points against rubbish at Old Trafford.

Now you've got three away games against them in which to get the same amount of points plus a buttfucked Southampton who I imagine will want to right a wrong from the cup final.

Only guaranteed three points there for me is when Palace arrive having secured there safety.

It's just too late I reckon.

Pleb
25-04-2017, 03:54 PM
We'll easily finish in the top four if results go our way and that's barring a Manchester Derby MELTDOWN!!

Giggles
25-04-2017, 06:51 PM
That didn't take long. Nice finish.

Adamski
25-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Have Liverpool won 4 games in a row this season Smiffy?

Waffdon
25-04-2017, 07:06 PM
Costa's first touch is horrific.

Smiffy
25-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Have Liverpool won 4 games in a row this season @Smiffy (http://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/member.php?u=142)?

Yes.

We've made it harder than it needs to be but we've done enough to fall over the finish line, I reckon. Still, as excitable as the start of the season was, I think most of us would have taken this position if offered at the start of the season and hopefully we capitalise in the summer by signing some proper players instead of doing what we've got a nasty habit of doing and buying bulk instead.

If Man United do it then fair play but I would say they are the least favourites and I include Arsenal in that.

SvN
25-04-2017, 07:25 PM
I can't decide if I want Chelsea to lose or not. It would be hilarious to see them fail, but even funnier to see Spurs bottle it on the final day after needing to win.

Smiffy
25-04-2017, 07:30 PM
I firmly believe it will be Chelsea who bottle it. Arsenal to win the FA Cup too now.

CJay
25-04-2017, 07:41 PM
Southampton have done well so far, I think. I fancy them getting a draw here.

Chelsea - similar to when they won their last title under Mourinho - haven't been that great (or as good as they were until January) over the second half of the season, but always find a way to stay just ahead. Costa especially has been totally useless tonight, and in any games I've watched recently.

Waffdon
25-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Southampton have done well so far, I think. I fancy them getting a draw here.

Chelsea - similar to when they won their last title under Mourinho - haven't been that great (or as good as they were until January) over the second half of the season, but always find a way to stay just ahead. Costa especially has been totally useless tonight, and in any games I've watched recently.

Teams have sussed the formation out now. Their defensive record has been fairly awful recently. I'd imagine Conte will bring in a fair few folk in the Summer.

Smiffy
25-04-2017, 08:32 PM
That 4th goal was ace. :D

Reg
25-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Costa's maybe thinking of China. I agree Waff - I think they'll get a centre back, maybe two wing-backs, at least one centre mid and a striker to replace Costa. I don't know if they're still interested in him but I'd like to see how Nainggolan would fit in.

Saving my football appetite for Thursday. Would like to see Rashford and Martial up front together.

Kikó
25-04-2017, 10:34 PM
I firmly believe it will be Chelsea who bottle it. Arsenal to win the FA Cup too now.

Anything else you fancy getting wrong?

*Opens himself up to this post being quoted in a month*

Smiffy
25-04-2017, 11:11 PM

Why wait a month when you can wait less than an hour?

United do them a favour then Spurs are winning the title on goal difference.

Chelsea beat Southampton
Spurs beat Leicester

4 points.

Chelsea draw with Everton
Spurs beat Arsenal

2 points.

Spurs beat West Ham
Chelsea beat Middlesborough

2 points.

Chelsea draw with West Brom
Tottenham beat Man United

Tottenham top on GD.

Chelsea beat Sunderland.
Spurs beat Hull.

Champions.

Believe. :drool:

Here's hoping Chelsea drop points although I have them to win this one whilst dropping points to Everton. Either or will do on route to Spurs first title.

Hopefully City do the deed against United too, just because it'll piss me off something rotten if the inevitable happens.

Best be careful with posts like these though. John finds it insufferable.

Lewis
25-04-2017, 11:29 PM
It will be interesting to see how Chelsea approach transfers from now on. Ten years ago they could out-bid anybody, and five years ago they could still match anybody; but now United and City would blow them out of the water if they all wanted the same player, and everyone bigger than West Ham could put a decent package together for the not quite top, top players that might be available. You would still expect them to have a bigger draw than Everton and Arsenal, but, put another way, could they sign Eden Hazard under 2017 conditions?

Smiffy
25-04-2017, 11:54 PM
According to Forbes, Abramovich is still worth almost £7B so blowing them out the water doesn't seem likely. I thought Man United can only do it because of the 10 year deal with Adidas and City because it's Qatar?

Either way, I think there transfers will be no different to normal. They are still big spenders after all with nearly £300M spent in last three seasons.

SvN
26-04-2017, 12:03 AM
United can do it because of our Noodle and Windscreen Washer Fluid sponsorships.

Dark Soldier
26-04-2017, 12:05 AM
United can do it because of our Noodle and Windscreen Washer Fluid sponsorships.

Aye most of the cash comes from a ton of smaller deals with Indonesian Elastic companies and such.

Lewis
26-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Chelsea have managed to spend a lot over the past few years, but they have also sold a lot as well, because they are much more restricted by the Financial Fair Play rules than United. Jose Mourinho was moaning about it years ago, and the wealth disparity has only increased since. I'm sure they could still spend a hundred million quid over a summer, but, realistically, they could not rival United and City (and Madrid, and PSG) if somebody like Kylian Mbappe was up for eighty million.

Ian
26-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Do any other clubs advertise their official tractor at matches on the hoardings?

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 12:28 AM
There's always the talented youngsters they have.... :henn0rz:

Jimmy Floyd
26-04-2017, 05:22 AM
It will be interesting to see how Chelsea approach transfers from now on. Ten years ago they could out-bid anybody, and five years ago they could still match anybody; but now United and City would blow them out of the water if they all wanted the same player, and everyone bigger than West Ham could put a decent package together for the not quite top, top players that might be available. You would still expect them to have a bigger draw than Everton and Arsenal, but, put another way, could they sign Eden Hazard under 2017 conditions?

They could definitely sign Eden Hazard from Lille. Signing people from Juventus/Bayern, maybe not.

Even this season it has all gone slightly moneyball with Marcos Alonso and Moses (not sure what was up with Kanté, that was a major market glitch), we'll probably see more of that and Conte will throw a tantrum when we fail to get Bonucci and whoever else in from Italy.

Adamski
26-04-2017, 05:42 AM

He could say Spurs have never won the league again, I guess.

Raoul Duke
26-04-2017, 06:58 AM
They could definitely sign Eden Hazard from Lille. Signing people from Juventus/Bayern, maybe not.

Even this season it has all gone slightly moneyball with Marcos Alonso and Moses (not sure what was up with Kanté, that was a major market glitch), we'll probably see more of that and Conte will throw a tantrum when we fail to get Bonucci and whoever else in from Italy.

Kante was a weird one - I'm not sure why Utd or whoever didn't just outbid them (if you believe Lewis's theory)

Jimmy Floyd
26-04-2017, 07:38 AM
There was supposedly a release clause but goodness knows. Maybe the chance to make Nemanja Matic look good all season was just too good to turn down.

Giggles
26-04-2017, 07:43 AM
Presumably Conte was a factor in it too.

phonics
26-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Jimmy bumping old threads has got me confused but...

Taxman is after Newcastle and one other club. To the point they're arresting people.

Offshore Toon
26-04-2017, 10:39 AM
We're on our way, we're on our way,
To the Conference, we're on our way.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Kante was a weird one - I'm not sure why Utd or whoever didn't just outbid them (if you believe Lewis's theory)

I always link these sort of things together and conjure up my own stories.

Example.

Leicester manager Ranieri unwittingly made mention to someone attached to former club Chelsea over some antipasto that his biggest target in the summer was retaining the services of Kante or offering a new deal whereby at least if he does leave they could get a bigger fee than that of his release clause. Said someone then runs off to Chelsea and tries to curry favor with Abramovich who in turn instructs JT to find out if it was true. JT set about infiltrating The Foxes but found his paths blocked as everyone was well aware of his games given the Wayne Bridge scandal but further more, there was other past misdemeanors that would play against him this time around. Undeterred the captain fantastic opted to call in some defense and set up a WWE styled promo for Cahill to collar a nervous Jamie Vardy whilst training with the England squad. Being such a new addition and a man unfamiliar with playing for England, Vardy fell for it hook line and sinker.

"You tell us this Vardy and we shall ensure your next move is to the big city."

Reading between the lines Vardy thought long and hard about where he had come from, the trials and tribulations he had faced on his journey through the leagues and although Leicester had given him his opportunity, he knew that accepting Chelsea's offer would see him increase his wage, his chances of playing for the national side and indeed, a better chance of winning some more honors in the game. Reluctantly he told Cahill all he knew but secretly he knew what he was doing. He knew that next season he and the ever impressive Kante would be featuring alongside Costa, Hazard and the like by time the following season started.

It was all supposed to be so simple but football politics took over. Instead of relaying the message back to John Terry, Gary Cahill saw this as his opportunity to oust the Chelsea legend once and for all. Tired of playing second fiddle to the one club man, a man he had no respect for, a man he felt he was better than, Cahill decided to go straight to Abramovich himself. He spoke eloquently enough about the situation and understood that it may not look good crossing JT but karma was a bitch and Terry had no right to moan about something going on behind his back give his past indiscretions. He knew he needed to get rid of JT once and for all and if he became Abramovich's go to guy then there would be no new deal for Terry this time around.

Over the coming weeks the news started to gain traction that Kante did indeed have a release clause but unbeknown to the majority, Chelsea had activated weeks earlier. Ranieri knew he was going to lose the man most responsible for there impending title success. James Vardy himself knew that he and Kante would be moving onto bigger and better things. Spurred on by this the pair continued there fine form and succeeded in achieving what appeared an impossible objective. Landing the Premier League title with Leicester.

But the the summer happened. James Vardy went to the Euro's and slowly but surely it was dawning on him that he had been duped. Cahill had never said he would get him a move to Chelsea. He had specifically mentioned the big City only. As England labored through a dismal European Championship showing, Vardy was reading about proposed moves to Arsenal. Feeling betrayed and utterly dejected that he had allowed this situation to arise, the previously confident striker had found himself spiraling into a pit of depression. His form dropped. His mood increasingly erratic and the poor form of Leicester compared to that of Chelsea this season was just too much to take. Annoyed that his actions had cost him a dream move and a hefty salary, Vardy decided to fight back. He couldn't blame himself. It wouldn't have fit the narrative about the kid who came from nowhere. Instead he looked for other targets and there was no bigger target than the man who gave it all away in the first place.

Claudio Ranieri.

A few months and many more losses later the Italian manager was dismissed. Stories hit the newspapers about how he was stabbed in the back. Players denied involvement after initially remaining quiet. Those already at Leicester knew the power James Vardy currently held and no one dared to speak out. After one last effort to leave the club in the January window which ultimately ended in failure, Vardy was left with some major soul search. Managerless, transferless. The bewildered striker turned to a man(ager) of literature.

To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.

The rest as they say, is history. Craig Shakespeare was appointed the new Leicester manager, Vardy gained experience of what football politics was all about, Kante and Conte became dovetailed in a whirlwind romance which was enough to get under Costa's skin, JT was informed his services would no longer be required and Gary Cahill was left standing. He had done it. He was now 'the' man.

(Now I do have too much time on my hands)

Lewis
26-04-2017, 11:21 AM

What I mean is that Eden Hazard would be shopped around at sixty, seventy-plus million today, which would more than likely rule Chelsea out, and didn't they also offer him better wages than United at the time?

Reg
26-04-2017, 11:27 AM
I just posted a paragraph about Chelsea but it was so boring I feel I owe it to the forum to delete it.

Slightly more interesting - Moyes has been charged for the "slap" quote.

Jimmy Floyd
26-04-2017, 12:06 PM
What I mean is that Eden Hazard would be shopped around at sixty, seventy-plus million today, which would more than likely rule Chelsea out, and didn't they also offer him better wages than United at the time?

From Lille? They would need the money so I doubt he'd go at that from a club of that size, and then it's just a case of who wants him (I don't think the mega clubs were interested at the time).

We couldn't get Pogba from Juventus in the same way United could, especially not from outside the CL.

Kikó
26-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Midfielder Joey Barton has been suspended from all football activity for 18 months.

https://t.co/Q9oDLF6pQc https://t.co/GIDlaff9wg

phonics
26-04-2017, 12:14 PM
I lol'd at the fact that the FA Twitter statement tries to tag him but comes out unhyperlinked which means he's blocked them :D

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Jesus. What a day for football. :D

Moyes charged, Barton banned and clubs raided. It's all rather embarrassing init.

phonics
26-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Best league in the world, mate.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Ain't that the truth. It's just one long running soap opera.

Offshore Toon
26-04-2017, 12:39 PM
To top it all off I've just seen a video of John Terry's mum on Twitter that explains so much.

SvN
26-04-2017, 12:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ETVaGAS.png?1 ?

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 01:06 PM
I know he's not universally liked but the guy does have a point.

Joey Barton statement.

The FA have announced I am banned from all football for 18 months and fined £30,000 and costs for offences against The FA’s Betting Rules. I am very disappointed at the harshness of the sanction. The decision effectively forces me into an early retirement from playing football. To be clear from the outset here this is not match fixing and at no point in any of this is my integrity in question.
I accept that I broke the rules governing professional footballers, but I do feel the penalty is heavier than it might be for other less controversial players. I have fought addiction to gambling and provided the FA with a medical report about my problem. I’m disappointed it wasn’t taken into proper consideration. I think if the FA is truly serious about tackling the culture of gambling in football, it needs to look at its own dependence on the gambling companies, their role in football and in sports broadcasting, rather than just blaming the players who place a bet.

I am not alone in football in having a problem with gambling. I grew up in an environment where betting was and still is part of the culture. From as early as I can remember my family let me have my own pools coupon, and older members of the family would place bets for me on big races like the Grand National. To this day, I rarely compete at anything without there being something at stake. Whether that’s a round of golf with friends for a few pounds, or a game of darts in the training ground for who makes the tea, I love competing. I love winning. I am also addicted to that. It is also the case that professional football has long had a betting culture, and I have been in the sport all my adult life.

Given the money in the game, and the explosion in betting on sport, I understand why the rules have been strengthened, and I also accept that I have been in breach of them. I accept too that the FA has to be seen to lead on this issue. But surely they need to accept there is a huge clash between their rules and the culture that surrounds the modern game, where anyone who watches follows football on TV or in the stadia is bombarded by marketing, advertising and sponsorship by betting companies, and where much of the coverage now, on Sky for example, is intertwined with the broadcasters’ own gambling interests.

That all means this is not an easy environment in which to try to stop gambling, or even to encourage people within the sport that betting is wrong. It is like asking a recovering alcoholic to spend all his time in a pub or a brewery. If the FA is serious about tackling gambling I would urge it to reconsider its own dependence on the gambling industry. I say that knowing that every time I pull on my team’s shirt, I am advertising a betting company.

I say none of this to justify myself. But I do want to explain that sometimes these issues are more complicated than they seem.

As for the scale of my football betting, since 2004, on a Betfair account held in my own name, registered at my home address and verified by my own passport, with full transparency, I have placed over 15,000 bets across a whole range of sports. Just over 1,200 were placed on football and subject to the charges against me. The average bet was just over £150, many were for only a few pounds.

For the modern footballer, downtime and rest are important and I spend much of my time away from training in front of a TV screen, channel hopping across a range of sports, and betting on the outcome of games. I like watching sports and predicting the outcome. Set alongside what we are privileged to earn as footballers, my betting stakes are relatively small. Betting for me, is less about how much money I win or lose, and more about whether I can correctly predict the outcome of the game I’m watching. I hate losing more than I like winning, and this mindset has helped prevent me from placing big bets, for fear of losing big.
Raised at the hearing was that between 2004 and 2011 I placed a handful of bets on my own team to lose matches. I accept of course that this is against the rules, for the obvious reason that a player with an additional financial stake in the game might seek to change the course of it for his own personal gain. However I’d like to offer some context.

First, in every game I have played, I have given everything. I’m confident that anyone who has ever seen me play, or played with or against me, will confirm that to be the case. I am more aware than anyone that I have character issues that I struggle with, and my addictive personality is one of them, but I am a devoted and dedicated professional who has always given my all on the pitch.

Second, on the few occasions where I placed a bet on my own team to lose, I was not involved in the match day squad for any of those games. I did not play. I was not even on the bench. I had no more ability to influence the outcome than had I been betting on darts, snooker, or a cricket match in the West Indies. I should add that on some of those occasions, my placing of the bet on my own team to lose was an expression of my anger and frustration at not being picked or being unable to play. I understand people will think that is childish and selfish and I cannot disagree with that.

Third, I should point out that the last of these bets against my own team was six years ago (and in a reserve game), when I was going through a particularly troubled period, and when the FA were not nearly as hard on gambling as they are now.

One thing I can state with absolute certainty – I have never placed a bet against my own team when in a position to influence the game, and I am pleased that in all of the interviews with the FA, and at the hearing, my integrity on that point has never been in question. I could not live with myself, nor face my team-mates or the fans of the clubs I played for, if they seriously thought I would bet on my team to lose a game whose outcome I could influence.

The Commission that heard my case made clear in their reasons on a number of occasions that “there was no suggestion [I] was involved in match fixing” and I am publishing a list of my bets because I want the full facts of my case to be known.

A ban of 18 months is longer than several bans handed to players who played in matches where they bet for their team to lose and – unlike me – were found to have had an ability to influence the games. The only players to be banned for 12 months or longer bet against their own teams and played in the matches in which they placed those bets. Players who did not play in the matches they placed the bets in have never been banned for longer than 6 months. I feel the ban is excessive in this context.

Throughout my career I am someone who has made mistakes and owned up to those mistakes and tried to learn from them. I intend to do that here. I accept that this is one more mess I got into because of my own behaviour. This episode has brought home to me that just as I had to face up to the need to get help to deal with alcohol abuse, and with anger, so now I need to get help for my issues with gambling, and I will do so.
I want to thank the Burnley FC board, management, players and staff for their faith and understanding, and their belief that I would play for them, and play well, even with this hanging over me, and I want to thank the Burnley fans for the support they have given me throughout. They have been brilliant.

Having consulted with my friends and lawyers, I have decided I will be appealing against the length of the ban. I hope that I shall be afforded a fair hearing by an independent Appeal Panel. If I am, we are confident that the sanction will be reduced to a fair one that both reflects the offences as well as the mitigating factors and the fact that there was nothing untoward or suspicious about the bets I made.

I'd wager if it was someone else then it might have been different. I don't recall such a furor when that Etherington admitted to such a problem, he appeared to be supported.

The bets.
http://joeybarton.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/My-bets-backing-my-team.jpg

http://joeybarton.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/My-bets-backing-the-opposition.jpg

What a shit gambler. :D

John
26-04-2017, 01:19 PM
The problem, and the reason he's been given such a huge sanction, is that he was betting on games involving his own team. I'm not sure how you can claim your integrity isn't in question when you're betting against a member of your own side to score a goal.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Tbf it was Samaras. Ironically one of the few bets he won.

The problem you have mentioned is only a small issue when placed alongside the bigger issues that Barton alludes to in his statement. I think he makes a valid point. The game is heavily influenced by betting, it's promoted ten fold since the government allowed it to be on mainstream TV and I imagine there's a huge amount of players who have come a cropper but haven't been found out.

Lewis
26-04-2017, 01:32 PM
Betting on your own team is a bit shifty, but I think sports go well overboard with this stuff (particularly, as he said, given their own bumming of the industry). What's the harm in having an account with a 'respectable' company, who stand a much better chance of keeping a lid on it with their own limits than depending on some black market racket?

Kikó
26-04-2017, 01:35 PM
I don't think anyone in a position of influence in football should be allowed to gamble on football.

I do think there is an issue of legitimising gambling to be akin to banter when it's not.

And Joey is a twat.

John
26-04-2017, 01:44 PM

The problem you have mentioned is only a small issue when placed alongside the bigger issues that Barton alludes to in his statement. I think he makes a valid point. The game is heavily influenced by betting, it's promoted ten fold since the government allowed it to be on mainstream TV and I imagine there's a huge amount of players who have come a cropper but haven't been found out.

Of course the issues relating to one player's gambling are smaller than the issues surrounding the entire televised aspect of football. The point stands though that he's been biffed for betting on his own side, the penalty for which should be harsh, and no amount of bleating about betting adverts can ameliorate that. I did enjoy him throwing his family under the clown car though. Nothing is ever his fault.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Fair point but 18 months seems a bit excessive. It's not as though he was actually throwing games for a miniscule amount of profit but then I suppose the rules are the rules.

CJay
26-04-2017, 03:58 PM
I think the promotion of betting in the sport is shocking. Barton's spot on about that. It's absolutely everywhere.

Barton wasn't in the squad for any of the games he bet on, was he? I thought I read that somewhere.

John Arne
26-04-2017, 04:01 PM
I think the promotion of betting in the sport is shocking. Barton's spot on about that. It's absolutely everywhere.

Barton wasn't in the squad for any of the games he bet on, was he? I thought I read that somewhere.

Correct. He never bet against his team when he played (or was even in the squad).

Giggles
26-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Midfielder Joey Barton has been suspended from all football activity for 18 months.

https://t.co/Q9oDLF6pQc https://t.co/GIDlaff9wg

Well that's a little ray of sunshine on the day. Hopefully that's the twat finished for good.

John
26-04-2017, 04:08 PM

Correct. He never bet against his team when he played (or was even in the squad).

He bet against a teammate and on himself to score in a game for which he was in the starting eleven.

And if Barton had bet against his team in any meaningful way, would you put it past him to engineer a collision in training to keep a good player out of a game and win himself some money? It's Joey Barton.

John Arne
26-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Like I said, never bet against his team.

Also, the Samaras bet was for 5 quid, and the bet on himself was for 3 quid... it's hardly Watergate.... it's clearly a bet for fun rather than a serious thing.

But yeah, given that he put out a fag on a teammates eye, I wouldn't be surprised if he took out a teammate in training... just not for 15 quid or whatever.

Giggles
26-04-2017, 04:21 PM
I love the way he says that his integrity isn't in question in his statement. Ah ok then Joey, that's that sorted.

Magic
26-04-2017, 04:23 PM
That sex tape is vile for fuck sake.

John Arne
26-04-2017, 04:24 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44795000/jpg/_44795692_dabo.jpg

Disco
26-04-2017, 04:34 PM
And if Barton had bet against his team in any meaningful way, would you put it past him to engineer a collision in training to keep a good player out of a game and win himself some money? It's Joey Barton.

The state of this, why not tack on another six months because some bitter jock reckons he might do a murder or something!

Reg
26-04-2017, 04:34 PM
I think he makes a valid point. The game is heavily influenced by betting, it's promoted ten fold since the government allowed it to be on mainstream TV and I imagine there's a huge amount of players who have come a cropper but haven't been found out.
What's his point? That he's not incapable of seeing a betting advert and not betting when he knows he's not allowed to?

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 04:52 PM
What's his point? That he's not incapable of seeing a betting advert and not betting when he knows he's not allowed to?

The point isn't about Barton fucking up but as a wider issue which it clearly is. You can't have it both ways.

Barton should know better for sure but then so should Joe Bloggs. Just because he's a professional footballer who has fell foul to the rules in place doesn't mean it should be disregarded as it is a very valid point. If you've got a gambling problem and you're being pounded left, right and centre with offers then it's not as simple as saying no to some. We all know he's an impulsive individual with an addictive personality and I don't see why he should be cast aside as though it doesn't matter because of who he is.

Clubs have it on there shirts, websites have it in there ads, television has it no matter what sport is being shown etc. Since the gambling act on advertising was allowed (or whatever it was) and the increase in problem gambling, it goes hand in hand.

Again, it's not about Barton but he's right in what he says.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 04:57 PM
I was looking for the story about the Ladbrokes Life guys who featured a while ago because I read one of them had died. Turns out it was each and every one of them.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/jan/22/betting-overload-sport-gambling-captive-audience

John
26-04-2017, 05:06 PM
The state of this, why not tack on another six months because some bitter jock reckons he might do a murder or something!

A good idea. Wish I'd thought of it.

John
26-04-2017, 05:10 PM
I was looking for the story about the Ladbrokes Life guys who featured a while ago because I read one of them had died. Turns out it was each and every one of them.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/jan/22/betting-overload-sport-gambling-captive-audience

Actually reading that back it may not be true in its entirety. It’s possible I may have imagined or dreamed some parts, in particular the bit about them all being sadly dead.

Perhaps not.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Good olde, John. Always quick to correct me. :thbup:

Adamski
26-04-2017, 06:13 PM

The only reason he's mentioning any of that is to deflect from him making an utter cunt of it.

I don't think anyone who bets an average of £150 a bet with his salary can claim to have any major issue with gambling to be honest.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 06:47 PM
It's immaterial as to how much someone bets and again, forget about it being Barton. The point he's making is one that should be heard and one the FA/those that matter should answer.

Reg
26-04-2017, 06:57 PM
To be fair I didn't see the addiction part, I just half-skim read it. I wouldn't have made my above post. If he has given a medical report from a qualified professional, should the FA punish him?

Giggles
26-04-2017, 06:58 PM
To be fair I didn't see the addiction part, I just half-skim read it. I wouldn't have made my above post. If he has given a medical report from a qualified professional, should the FA punish him?

He has an 'illness' now that he's been rumbled. A professional footballer could get a medical report for anything they liked.

Reg
26-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Would you expect a footballer to announce to the public he's got an addiction unprovoked? You'd get it in rare cases but not all the time.

Shindig
26-04-2017, 07:06 PM
18 months for effectively a conflict of interest is fine, to me.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Aye, Matthew Etherington came clean after a decade battle with it, staking close to £100K a month or something.

You just don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I'd suggest it's bad no matter what end of the scale you're on. Professional earning thousands a week or a randomer on the street who sticks his weekly wage on something. It's an addiction and like all addictions it should be treated as an illness. Problem is I find when people hear illness (Hi Giggles) they assume sickness or something and because you can't see it, it's easy to suggest it doesn't exist.

Raoul Duke
26-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Would you expect a footballer to announce to the public he's got an addiction unprovoked? You'd get it in rare cases but not all the time.

No, I'd expect him/the medical staff/the club who pay him XYZ hundreds of £££ per year to get him excluded from betting sites so that he can't do it.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 07:11 PM
No, I'd expect him/the medical staff/the club who pay him XYZ hundreds of £££ per year to get him excluded from betting sites so that he can't do it.

Can they stop him walking into a bookmakers? Can they stop someone else placing them for him? A gambler will always find a way and most don't realise it's actually a problem until it's a deep rooted problem.

Shindig
26-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Employers won't do shit for that. I worked with a guy with a gambling addiction and the bank he worked for only paid attention when he started raiding his parent's accounts. The addiction isn't the employer's problem until something like that happens.

Giggles
26-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Employers won't do shit for that. I worked with a guy with a gambling addiction and the bank he worked for only paid attention when he started raiding his parent's accounts. The addiction isn't the employer's problem until something like that happens.

This one isn't Barton's problem until he's got caught out breaking very clear rules.

The FA's only mistake was to not make it a lifetime one (which this amounts to anyway) to send out a message.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 07:13 PM
You say that Shinners but Stoke paid off Etherington's debt didn't they?

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 07:16 PM

Lewis
26-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Gary Lineker wants betting adverts/sponsorship chucked out of football. Is he still drawing a wage from the Qatari government? Twat.

Giggles
26-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Gary Lineker wants betting adverts/sponsorship chucked out of football. Is he still drawing a wage from the Qatari government? Twat.

Yet more nanny state bollocks. Same with all those cunts in tears about alcohol sponsorship. Next it'll be soft drinks or something.

Is self accountability totally extinct now?

SvN
26-04-2017, 07:24 PM
No food advertising to prevent people becoming obese.
No oil advertising as it's bad for the environment.
No loan companies as it causes people to get in over their heads.
No computer manufacturers as it will lead to a short-sighted epidemic.
No advertising of hair products as it triggers the baldies.

Lewis
26-04-2017, 07:32 PM
First they came for the bookies, and I did not speak out
Because I push crisps on fat kids

Offshore Toon
26-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Papa John's wouldn't let me unsubscribe from their marketing emails but I haven't ordered since 4th January despite having been on the payment page multiple times. Joey just didn't try hard enough.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 08:10 PM
That's Sakho done. :(

SvN
26-04-2017, 08:33 PM
What a total tosser Sanchez is.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 08:36 PM
What did he do?

SvN
26-04-2017, 08:39 PM
What did he do?

https://streamable.com/llbu4

Adamski
26-04-2017, 08:39 PM
It's immaterial as to how much someone bets and again, forget about it being Barton. The point he's making is one that should be heard and one the FA/those that matter should answer.

No it's not. It's the equivalent of me being addicted to putting on a £1 coupon once a week and never going above that. Lot of shit.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Rivaldo eat your heart out. (although the intent was there)

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 08:45 PM

Adamski
26-04-2017, 08:46 PM
He's putting £150 on average on and he earns more than 150 times my salary.

It's peanuts, he's using it as an excuse.

Pen
26-04-2017, 08:47 PM
https://streamable.com/llbu4

Brilliant from Fuchs though :D Shame he missed Sanchez's face.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 08:47 PM

Adamski
26-04-2017, 08:48 PM
I've read it yes. He wouldn't make the statement if he hadn't been caught which renders his opinion pointless.

He's deflecting.

Waffdon
26-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Chelsea won the Youth Cup for about the millionth time in a row. So pointless.

Smiffy
26-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Lewis
26-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Chelsea won the Youth Cup for about the millionth time in a row. So pointless.

Nine black lads, two white lads (the captain, and the 'keeper). The future.

SvN
26-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Shamelessly stolen from redcafe

Wilfried Bony in me pocket
but we could do with Gundogan
because I want the best'uns
but the Sheikh asks questions
like 'brother, whats your plan?'

'Cause where it all comes from is a mystery
it's like some wealthy oil magnate gives us endless money
but 'eres the one that's driving me beserk:
where do all of our supporters lurk?

https://i.imgur.com/0CbuvFI.png

We've got some half priced match-nights
And miles and miles of empty aisles
Bluemoon angries, and 50 crates of City tees
Drawn games, bought fame
Rag agenda is to blame
Brand new sky blue match shorts
For the boys in Stockport-port-port-port-port

Two dud fullbacks, No FFP,
Mocked by Ajax, worse than Chelsea
No black or white, no rich or broke
More supporters follow Stoke

God bless empty seats
we've no gate receipts
Sugar daddy sweet
C'est magnifique, empty seats
Magnifique, empty seats
Empty seats

Lewis
26-04-2017, 09:32 PM
I've seen better covers.

Shindig
26-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Nine black lads, two white lads (the captain, and the 'keeper). The future.

Of other clubs. Speaking of such things, I hope Atsu doesn't run back to them.

Offshore Toon
26-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Do you really think Atsu is going to step up? He's reminds me of Kazenga Lua Lua.

Lewis
26-04-2017, 09:42 PM
'I wonder what Gael Kakuta is up to these... lol'

Shindig
26-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Do you really think Atsu is going to step up? He's reminds me of Kazenga Lua Lua.

They're both Premiership footballers in waiting.

Ian
26-04-2017, 10:11 PM
How dare you do that to Del Boy, you monster.

Offshore Toon
27-04-2017, 11:25 AM
A draw tonight and Arsenal only have 2 points to make up. Mon Arsene.

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 02:22 PM

Kikó
27-04-2017, 03:13 PM
No Pogba.

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 03:18 PM

Kikó
27-04-2017, 03:45 PM
They're both shite and not worth bothering. Smalling especially, is a complete disaster.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 03:54 PM
I wonder who would fetch the bigger transfer fee. Phil Jones is better, and would (if ever fit) probably be very good in a Big Sam-like team, but there is probably enough delusion still circling around Chris Smalling to potentially fool a Good Football side into thinking he could be good for them. You could see somebody like Bournemouth falling over themselves to sign him.

Jimmy Floyd
27-04-2017, 04:01 PM
If football still works as it should, they'll both go to Everton.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Sky were just doing one of those 'The Gloves Are Off' boxing confrontation things with Ledley King, Thierry Henry, and Graeme Souness in the middle in case either started kicking off. It's gone far enough, lads.

Kikó
27-04-2017, 04:32 PM
David Moyes Sunderland can sign Jones when they are promoted.

Adamski
27-04-2017, 04:36 PM
No way in hell are you hitting 4th Smiffy, do you never learn? :D

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 04:40 PM
I'm going to acknowledge your post but refrain from getting into it this evening for the benefit of the forum.

Tonight is all about Pep putting Mourinho on notice. Both have under performed but I know which side I'd fear facing.

Giggles
27-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Sky were just doing one of those 'The Gloves Are Off' boxing confrontation things with Ledley King, Thierry Henry, and Graeme Souness in the middle in case either started kicking off. It's gone far enough, lads.

Flicked over to that last night and stayed on it for about 5 minutes because Souness is a legend, but even he couldn't save it from being utter tripe.

Adamski
27-04-2017, 05:13 PM
I'm going to acknowledge your post but refrain from getting into it this evening for the benefit of the forum.

Tonight is all about Pep putting Mourinho on notice. Both have under performed but I know which side I'd fear facing.

You're going to refrain from football discussion for the benefit of the forum? Okay.

Shitter or a draw tonight if Mourinho has anything to do with it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-04-2017, 05:30 PM
We'll shit out a 1-0 win.

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 05:31 PM
You're going to see just how deluded you are tonight. That Chelsea win has made you think you're actually decent.

[/BetterAmamski?]

Lewis
27-04-2017, 05:40 PM
How can they have under-performed if they aren't even decent?

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Because

"We feel that we are a candidate to win the title. We know that others have the same ambitions as us."

That was Mourinho at the beginning of the season. Personally I think you're overachieving in 5th. Long unbeaten run (albeit a rubbish one) and a good win over Chelsea won't change that. Law of averages said you had to have at least one good match and that was the Chelsea game.

City to win by three or more tonight.

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-04-2017, 06:12 PM
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/800/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2017/4/27/632a0c77-2d70-4aee-af7d-fbe1561ffc42.png

I love that front 3.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Because

That was Mourinho at the beginning of the season. Personally I think you're overachieving in 5th. Long unbeaten run (albeit a rubbish one) and a good win over Chelsea won't change that. Law of averages said you had to have at least one good match and that was the Chelsea game.

City to win by three or more tonight.

If they are as average as you say, that isn't under-performing. That is just him being wrong. I think they're under-performing, but then I think they have more than four decent players, so I expect more.

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 06:54 PM
I like how you selectively pick and choose which words I use to suit. Those four decent players I mentioned, the criteria was basic and that's "would I have them in my squad." The answer is obviously yes because they are United's best four players.

My Top 6 squad.

De Gea

Walker - Cahill - Alderweireld - Alonso

Mane - Pogba - Kante - Sanchez

Costa - Firmino

Sub.

Courtois
David Luiz
Coutinho
Herrera
Kane
Dele

Struggled for the left side but it was a toss up between Sanchez and Coutinho.

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-04-2017, 06:58 PM
You've picked the worst Chelsea centreback there.

'Ath-pilly-kweta' and Luiz are better than him.

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 06:59 PM

Lewis
27-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Your exact words were 'Four good players and that's it. The rest are average or past their sell by date'. If you want to say United are average then do so; but they can't be average and under-performing.

Waffdon
27-04-2017, 07:22 PM
What the fuck are sky playing at when someone has a corner?

Offshore Toon
27-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Some of these camera angles are fucking stupid. It's like driving in GTA on film/action mode.

Giggles
27-04-2017, 07:24 PM
What the fuck was Bravo at there?

Reg
27-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Rashford is so good. Going to be up there with the best in the league, I think.

Giggles
27-04-2017, 07:31 PM
This is crud. Back to the proper half of Masterchef instead I think.

EDIT: What's wrong with Ogba anyway?

Adamski
27-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Promotional tour of Japan.

Giggles
27-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Promotional tour of Japan.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Even getting a 0-0 out of this would be seriously lol, but a United win would probably finish both managers off.

Reg
27-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Has Mick done anything? Lingard on would be good.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 08:33 PM
Fellainimania running wild in a free role has been the highlight of the night.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Did he go down with shock there?

Waffdon
27-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Hahahahah

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Fellaini :cab:

At times you have to wonder if he actually has a brain.

At least he'll be suspended for a bit.

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Oh sweet, it will be 3 seeing as he got a straight red.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Go on, lad. Go down in flames.

Waffdon
27-04-2017, 08:42 PM
That was amazing.

Magic
27-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Late Aguero goal plz

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-04-2017, 08:47 PM
:harold:

Lewis
27-04-2017, 08:48 PM
This is where the manager has to step up. Maybe cheap shot Mike Summerbee, or call Les Battersby a wanker.

Reg
27-04-2017, 08:48 PM
That's an amazingly good decision.

niko_cee
27-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Pep checking with the linesman before celebrating like a twat.

See.

Reg
27-04-2017, 08:51 PM
That's two winners Jesus has scored and celebrated for ages and then, oh, not scored.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 08:55 PM
MASSIVE point. No wonder Gareth Southgate went to the rugby.

Waffdon
27-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Liverpool aren't finishing top four.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Eric Bailly again though lads. He would have been cheap at twice the price.

Dark Soldier
27-04-2017, 08:59 PM
Effort, Smiff.

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 09:01 PM
Such a boring team are Man United but City only have themselves to blame for dropping points there given how much possession they had. Sane and Sterling should have been taken off sooner. Much sooner. Still 3rd. :cool:

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Eric Bailly again though lads. He would have been cheap at twice the price.

I was thinking in the first half that I might have to drop one of the foursome and have him instead. Best defender at United by a distance and not bad considering it's his first year.

niko_cee
27-04-2017, 09:05 PM
City really are a bit bobbins. It'll be interesting to see if Guardiola can actually craft an identity for them before English football breaks him.

Is Stones injured or has he just been dispensed with? Luke Shaw didn't half look tubby when he was sent for a little jog down the line.

SvN
27-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Abysmal game, but I'll take the point, especially considering how poor we were in the second half. I actually think that was the most difficult of the games remaining, so hopefully we can do better against Spurs and Arsenal.

John
27-04-2017, 09:06 PM
I was thinking in the first half that I might have to drop one of the foursome and have him instead. Best defender at United by a distance and not bad considering it's his first year.

So is it a rule that United can only ever have four designated Good Players then?

Giggles
27-04-2017, 09:07 PM
That's not far off Sanchez from Aguero. Worked though.

Lewis
That looks more like getting in his face, and having to duck into it because Sergio Aguero is a manlet, than an actual headbutt. Didn't he headbutt somebody at Stoke once and nearly kill them?

Smiffy
Mourinho will do exactly the same thing against both and hope to catch a lucky break, I imagine. Better result for United than City but ultimately pointless when you're draw specialists.

Yevrah
27-04-2017, 09:09 PM
That was absolute bilge.

Mourinho and Guardiola are both looking like busted flushes at the minute.

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 09:09 PM
So is it a rule that United can only ever have four designated Good Players then?

John, if I was able to create such a rule, I'd limit them to current Ibra only. On his one leg.

Personally I think admitting to liking four is excessive but hey ho.

Kikó
27-04-2017, 09:11 PM
A few observations:
Both Micky and Martial seemed to stop attacking after 20 minutes
Hoofing it over the top generally stops working at 15 years old
Fellaini is a brain dead idiot
City like to pass.

Ugly game really but not losing was the objective and we got it.

Magic
27-04-2017, 09:12 PM
That was absolute bilge.

Mourinho and Guardiola are both looking like busted flushes at the minute.

Called it long ago. Myths.

John
27-04-2017, 09:12 PM
John, if I was able to create such a rule, I'd limit them to current Ibra only. On his one leg.

Personally I think admitting to liking four is excessive but hey ho.

I meant a rule you stick to personally, because otherwise why would Bailly have to replace one of the four you've already named, rather than just saying they have five good players?

Yevrah
27-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Jason Cundy on Talksport is quite amusing at the minute. Absolutely ripping into both teams and managers.

Jimmy Floyd
27-04-2017, 09:16 PM
When these both get mugged by Wenger's Arsenal on the last day it will be pretty funny.

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 09:16 PM
I meant a rule you stick to personally, because otherwise why would Bailly have to replace one of the four you've already named, rather than just saying they have five good players?

It doesn't suit me. (PS, stop taking it so serious.)

Kikó
27-04-2017, 09:22 PM
As an aside, the camera work tonight was dreadful. That over the top pully camera was nauseating.

GS
27-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Some of these directors clearly think it's an opportunity to show off their 'skill'. I don't think they've quite grasped that people watching football on TV would quite like to be able to see what's actually happening.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Frank 'Frankie Lampard' Lampard just recalled that Liverpool game as 'trying to stop them winning the league'. :lol:

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 09:33 PM
No different to what Tottenham experienced last season in fairness. Chelsea were never going to win it themselves after the Sunderland defeat and it's not like we haven't got a history with Chelsea.

Giggles
27-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Lamps :cool:

Jimmy Floyd
27-04-2017, 09:36 PM
That game was the absolute perfect storm of lol. Liverpool on the cusp of the title, Mourinho at the absolute apex of his chip-on-shoulder childish wank, Fernando Torres involved somewhere, Gerrard falling over and an absolutely disgusting gameplan from us. And I think Rodgers cried (verbally) afterwards about our tactics.

Max Power
27-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Mourinho looked like absolute shit that day as well. Dodgy tracksuit, unshaven. Looked like he'd slept in his car or something. Amazing game.

Pleb
27-04-2017, 09:38 PM
We're finishing fourth and getting Europa.

Believe.

Giggles
27-04-2017, 09:40 PM
That game was the absolute perfect storm of lol. Liverpool on the cusp of the title, Mourinho at the absolute apex of his chip-on-shoulder childish wank, Fernando Torres involved somewhere, Gerrard falling over and an absolutely disgusting gameplan from us. And I think Rodgers cried (verbally) afterwards about our tactics.

Gerrard falling over is the single best thing ever to happen in football.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 09:41 PM
This thing coming up on Sky Sports looks belting. Danny Mills and 'impressionist Al Foran'. Oooh.

'What would Louis van Gaal have made of tonight, Al?'
*everyone cringes to death*

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 09:42 PM

Rodgers wasn't the only one, I assure you. :cry:

When I think back to that season I don't think of Gerrard's slip or Palace pegging us back after we attempted to rack up a cricket score but the dropped points to the likes of WBA with Toure's moment of madness. One day. Hopefully in my lifetime.

Jimmy Floyd
27-04-2017, 09:44 PM
People don't remember that by the Palace game it was actually out of your hands. The Chelsea result (which came out of pretty much nowhere) was what lost it.

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Our inexperienced showed against Chelsea in that game, both those on the pitch and Rodger's as a manager. A point would have been fine but hey ho. Ultimately ended with nothing but quite an enjoyable season as a whole. Ruthless at times.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Shit it's in an actual pub. Is this new?

niko_cee
27-04-2017, 09:49 PM
It's the first time I've seen it. A Danny Mills banter vehicle. Whatever next?

Lewis
27-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Twitter suggests that they've all been in that pub all night waaaaaaying and not knowing who Danny Mills is.

John
27-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Shit it's in an actual pub. Is this new?

They've been pissing around with that sort of idea for a while. There was a thing about a year ago where they had two obvious glamour models fronting some coverage from a booth in a pub somewhere, but it was done after about three episodes. I've also seen them doing interviews in what appears to be the staff canteen.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 09:55 PM
'What would Louis van Gaal have made of tonight, Al?'
*everyone cringes to death*

Almost word for word as well.

Lewis
27-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Go on, mate. Do Conor McGregor.

Shindig
27-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Matt Ritchie's season is over. He used naughty words in the tunnel after the Leeds game. Two match ban.

Smiffy
27-04-2017, 10:07 PM
BBC3's taxi to training is awkward. For the players at least.

CJay
27-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Rashford is so good. Going to be up there with the best in the league, I think.

Just catching up. What was this referring to? I thought he was really poor tonight. He got sat down a fair few times when he needed to either hold onto it better or try and stretch their backline.

City should have won that. Fellaini is monumentally stupid.

CJay
27-04-2017, 11:58 PM
Also does anyone else think the camera work is awful whenever Carragher is doing his fancy touch screen analysis bit? It pans out to show him controlling it every time he goes to highlight a player or a run, practically defeating the point of being able to do so. It'd be far better for the highlighting to just show up in the full screen as he does it.

SvN
28-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Just catching up. What was this referring to? .

PerkyAssuredColt

Weaver
28-04-2017, 12:41 PM

The team selection made Liverpool look even more likely to win as well - I can remember Schwarzer was in goal, Salah and Schurrle were 'wingers' and am I right in thinking Andreas Christiansen played left back or something like that?

One of the best PL matches of recent times, IMO.

Jimmy Floyd
28-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Tomas Kalas played centre half.