PDA

View Full Version : What sports do you play?

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Think it was a while ago when we did this. Anything from every day to once a quarter.

Poll to follow.

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 11:59 AM
The only sport I play regularly at the moment is badminton. I quite fancy getting into a team sport but I've got a dodgy ankle so football and rugby would ruin me quite quickly. I've considered cricket, though. How time-consuming is cricket?

Giggles
07-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Most recent was golf but had to give up when I moved back to Ireland as it's too prohibitive.

Reg
07-04-2017, 12:00 PM
I intended to click 'other' without seeing 'racquet sports' and instead clicked 'none'. Shambles.

Anyway I play loads of tennis and some squash. I love tennis. Squash is good fun but doesn't compare, to me.

Have been wondering whether to get a friendly game of football or basketball going weekly or something.

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 12:01 PM
I gave golf a shot in secondary school thinking it was cool, but never got out of the driving range.

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Have been wondering whether to get a friendly game of football or basketball going weekly or something.
I used to play Soccersixes in Whitehawk but the refs were a joke and just gave decisions based on who they were least afraid of.

Adamski
07-04-2017, 12:03 PM
The only sport I play regularly at the moment is badminton. I quite fancy getting into a team sport but I've got a dodgy ankle so football and rugby would ruin me quite quickly. I've considered cricket, though. How time-consuming is cricket?

I would imagine you'd fall asleep a lot due to the brain crushing boredom of it so probably quite time consuming I'd say.

Reg
07-04-2017, 12:09 PM
I used to play Soccersixes in Whitehawk but the refs were a joke and just gave decisions based on who they were least afraid of.
Oh I more just meant with a group of friends. Wouldn't really want anything competitive from a secondary/tertiary sport.

Jimmy Floyd
07-04-2017, 12:13 PM
There's a thing called 'Last Man Stands' which is like a short form, accelerated version of cricket they play in parks and stuff on evenings. That's quite a good taster to see if you like it, and then if you get hooked on the drug there is lots of proper cricket out there.

http://www.lastmanstands.com/playcricket-uk

Not sure how many setups there are in different regions, but there are shitloads in London.

Adramelch
07-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Basketball almost exclusively with the odd 5-a-side like 3-4 times a year.

Pepe
07-04-2017, 12:19 PM
I play bicycles.

http://i.imgur.com/o8bV92p.jpg

Shame Benny is not around anymore to photoshop that one.

Foe
07-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Starting to play table tennis most Monday evenings because it's great fun.

I wouldn't call weight lifting a sport (and I'm not very good at it anyway) but I do very occasionally play football as well.

Jimmy Floyd
07-04-2017, 12:21 PM
I need a winter sport actually (I play, or organise cricket pretty much all week every week in the summer).

I'm not fit enough for football, rugby is for repressed homosexuals, and golf, which I do play, is shit in the wet. What else is out there? I like thinking sports more than quick reaction/fitness sports.

Disco
07-04-2017, 12:26 PM
I need a winter sport actually (I play, or organise cricket pretty much all week every week in the summer).

I'm not fit enough for football, rugby is for repressed homosexuals, and golf, which I do play, is shit in the wet. What else is out there? I like thinking sports more than quick reaction/fitness sports.

How dare you........yeah ok.

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 12:28 PM
There's a thing called 'Last Man Stands' which is like a short form, accelerated version of cricket they play in parks and stuff on evenings. That's quite a good taster to see if you like it, and then if you get hooked on the drug there is lots of proper cricket out there.

http://www.lastmanstands.com/playcricket-uk

Not sure how many setups there are in different regions, but there are shitloads in London.
I'll take a look. Cheers.

Oh I more just meant with a group of friends. Wouldn't really want anything competitive from a secondary/tertiary sport.
Fairs. Yeah, it wasn't really worth it tbh. We stopped before the season finished.

Get into mixed (indoor) netball.

Jimmy Floyd
07-04-2017, 12:35 PM
There is a lot to like about rugby (clearly this is union I'm talking about, since I'm not on benefits), but the whole rugby culture does my head in. I can't think of a single word to sum up what annoys me about rugger buggers, but it's the combination of overblown honesty and machismo in that setting.

'Why did you lose today?'
'WE WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH. WE'VE GOT TO BE HONEST WITH OURSELVES, AND LOOK OURSELVES IN THE EYE, IN THE MIRROR, AND SAY WE HAVE TO WORK HARDER, BECAUSE THAT WASN'T ACCEPTABLE'

You lost 21-19. Blame the ref or something.

Kikó
07-04-2017, 12:36 PM
I play Saturday league football. I'd like to get back into tennis.

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 12:41 PM
I thought about rugby, but as much as I have the build for it I'm a total pussy.

Disco
07-04-2017, 12:48 PM
There is a lot to like about rugby (clearly this is union I'm talking about, since I'm not on benefits), but the whole rugby culture does my head in. I can't think of a single word to sum up what annoys me about rugger buggers, but it's the combination of overblown honesty and machismo in that setting.

'Why did you lose today?'
'WE WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH. WE'VE GOT TO BE HONEST WITH OURSELVES, AND LOOK OURSELVES IN THE EYE, IN THE MIRROR, AND SAY WE HAVE TO WORK HARDER, BECAUSE THAT WASN'T ACCEPTABLE'

You lost 21-19. Blame the ref or something.

Some of the culture around it is pretty awful (worse than other sports though, I'm not sure I think so) but it's far less pronounced at the kind of level any of us would be playing at. Here at least, I'm sure there are more than few tossers in your neck of the woods who reckon they're the new James Haskell, in which case fire bombing is probably the only solution.

Jimmy Floyd
07-04-2017, 12:56 PM
I go to the local rugby club quite a lot as we use their pitches (well, the local shit rugby club, Esher is about four streets away and they are relatively big) and I get all my rugby vibes from there. Big blokes, big drinks, deep throated laughter implying that if they didn't have to go back to their wives they would be well up for gurgling lager from each other's arseholes all night. I dunno, it's hard to put my finger on it.

Like you say though, football culture (EVERYONE IS FUCKING ANGRY ALL THE TIME) is probably worse in reality. We're just all so used to it.

Pepe
07-04-2017, 12:57 PM

Try the velodrome. I've heard they are all top, top lads over there.

Pepe
07-04-2017, 12:59 PM
What are some 'thinking' sports?

-james-
07-04-2017, 01:00 PM
I used to play football once or twice a month when I was at uni but I don't know anyone around here who plays any more, so I haven't kicked a ball in a couple of years. I miss it, but I've no idea how to get back into it.

I'm an on and off tennis player. Had lessons last summer and wouldn't mind having more. I'm really bad but I do enjoy it.

Used to go skiing regularly when I lived in Greece, but again I don't know anyone who'll indulge any more.

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Like you say though, football culture (EVERYONE IS FUCKING ANGRY ALL THE TIME) is probably worse in reality. We're just all so used to it.
This is why its great being a Newcastle fan. Apart from that True Geordie twat we're not an angry bunch since we've had all passion drained from us. Its all bantah and abusing horses.

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 01:04 PM
I used to play football once or twice a month when I was at uni but I don't know anyone around here who plays any more, so I haven't kicked a ball in a couple of years. I miss it, but I've no idea how to get back into it.

I'm an on and off tennis player. Had lessons last summer and wouldn't mind having more. I'm really bad but I do enjoy it.

Used to go skiing regularly when I lived in Greece, but again I don't know anyone who'll indulge any more.
www.meetup.com for football.

-james-
07-04-2017, 01:08 PM
www.meetup.com for football.

Looks decent, cheers.

I did come across this though:

31 year old professional guy looking for similar guys who miss having a group of lad pals to hang out with.

Most of my guy pals are either under the thumb or have no money to go out. So if you like going for drinks, lap dance club, clubbing, meet for coffee and banter, football and things like bowling etc then this is the meet up for you.

No negative, jealous or shy types allowed. This should be a group of people who are confident in themselves, good natured, kind and decent people

Would have been perfectly normal if they'd missed out about five specific words.

Jimmy Floyd
07-04-2017, 01:13 PM
He's ticked off almost everything from the 'Bellend traits' thread there.

Adamski
07-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Looks decent, cheers.

I did come across this though:

Would have been perfectly normal if they'd missed out about five specific words.

Lap Dance, bowling, kind & banter are my watch words there.

Jimmy Floyd
07-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Jealous is in my list. Jealous of what?

wullie
07-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Indoor 5 a side and then I'm going to start playing badminton again next month. Want to play squash too.

Spammer
07-04-2017, 01:40 PM
I play 5 a side and squash, and rock climbing actually if that counts. Not sure if that counts as a 'sport'.

Wanna get back into proper football next season. Gonna find a club nearby.

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Jealous is in my list. Jealous of what?
Bowling and banter.

Lewis
07-04-2017, 01:52 PM
That takes me back to lolling at Ledley's old TD biography.

I sent a tentative e-mail to the UEA rugby team when I was there, but it coincided with them being banned for an offensive fancy dress party (although one of them later told me it was really because they had made a German girl cry on a bus, and the union had it in for them), so I probably dodged a bumming.

Lewis
07-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Also, that True Geordie bloke probably has the best profile picture on Twitter.

Henry
07-04-2017, 02:16 PM
I used to play Gaelic Football. Now I run marathons. Does that count as a sport? Neither is an option in your poll.

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Neither count, I'm afraid.

Disco
07-04-2017, 02:30 PM
I go to the local rugby club quite a lot as we use their pitches (well, the local shit rugby club, Esher is about four streets away and they are relatively big) and I get all my rugby vibes from there. Big blokes, big drinks, deep throated laughter implying that if they didn't have to go back to their wives they would be well up for gurgling lager from each other's arseholes all night. I dunno, it's hard to put my finger on it.

It's all farmers (and farmers mums) down here so you don't get so much of the rah rah where are my red trousers rugger bugger brigade. That all changes once you go past Bath which is lousy with them.

Giggles
07-04-2017, 02:34 PM
I used to play Gaelic Football. Now I run marathons. Does that count as a sport? Neither is an option in your poll.

One is a sport. Marathons are just exercise.

Spammer
07-04-2017, 02:39 PM
Is rock climbing a sport?

wullie
07-04-2017, 03:23 PM
If someone chases you up the wall it's at least Gladiators.

Bartholomert
07-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Pickup/intramural basketball and soccer at school.

Mazuuurk
07-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Soccer :harold:

Pepe
07-04-2017, 08:52 PM
The standing kind or the poncey sitting kind?

Pepe
07-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Not surprised.

Pepe
07-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Looking good.

Offshore Toon
07-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Is jet skiing big in Leeds?