PDA

View Full Version : Arse Creed London

Yevrah
24-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Looks quite good this.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/feature/a670223/assassins-creed-syndicate-hands-on-grand-theft-auto-meets-charles-dickens-in-ubisofts-period-romp-round-london.html#~ppf5sqEPfXHuee

Shame it'll no doubt just be the same wank in a different skin.

Ian
25-09-2015, 07:48 AM
I've not played the Paris one yet and I don't remember there being much chat about it. How was it?

I'll play at some point but Black Flag will probably be as good as it gets for a while. Victorian(?) London though. :drool:

phonics
25-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Same shit, different city. They've completely lost me at his point.

Adam
25-09-2015, 08:25 AM
I'll be buying this just simply because its in London, probably will be shit like the last one but Black Flag was a great game.

Yevrah
23-10-2015, 06:58 PM
This is seemingly getting some very positive write ups.

Here's Gamespots 9/10 take (which I haven't seen yet):

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/assassins-creed-syndicate-review/1900-6416291/

Yevrah
23-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Dickens, Bell and Marx are in it. :cool:

Bernanke
23-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Dickens, Bell and Marx are in it. :cool:

And, supposedly MASSIVE spoiler:

Churchill.

phonics
23-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Heres VideoGamers 5/10

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/assassins_creed_syndicate_review.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIHFCDK6FCs

Yevrah
23-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Cheers for the balance Phonics. Have Gamespot been paid again?

phonics
23-10-2015, 07:33 PM
No, people don't get paid, it doesn't make financial sense to bribe people to review it higher as a higher metacritic score means higher bonuses for the rest of the company (when it comes to AAA and mainstream press coverage, middle tier games + youtubers is a totally different story). People just have different opinions of what they expect. Steve Burns is a notoriously harsh critic as well (I agree with his scoring stance in that 5/10 = average) when you consider him against the mainstream where a seven means it's average.

Disco
23-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I've been reading RPS for so long that it now seems a very odd thing to see a score at the end of a review.

Yevrah
23-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I like reviewers who understand how ratings work.

The first sentence of your post doesn't make sense mind, in that a company the size of Ubisoft surely can't offer a bonus structure that doesn't make financial sense overall if your employees hit it.

phonics
23-10-2015, 07:39 PM
I stopped liking what RPS' personality (the 'DEAD ISLAND 2 COMES WITH A STATUE OF A LADIES BOOBS OMG THIS IS THE WORST THING IN VIDEOGAMES' post being what broke me) had become and by the time I came back I didn't know a single one of the writers and most of the posts were about DotA or League of Legends.

Shindig
23-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Seems like all that manpower goes into art assets and, with the yearly turnaround there's not much time to actually sit the design guys down and say, "Right, here's the vision. Here's how we move forward." They're locked into a cycle and it's choking them.

Yevrah
23-10-2015, 08:14 PM
That review Phonics posted nailed the fact that while the worlds they create look amazing, the gameplay is turgid shit, something that was immediately apparent after watching 30 seconds of the Gamespot review.

phonics
23-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Check out that youtube channel for some of the bugs which are quite funny.

Ian
23-10-2015, 10:26 PM
I've been reading RPS for so long that it now seems a very odd thing to see a score at the end of a review.

Yup. Read the review and find out what the writer actually thinks rather than just skip to the bottom. You can still just skip to the bottom paragraph of course if you're so inclined but it's less shitty than just scrolling for a number.

I stopped liking what RPS' personality (the 'DEAD ISLAND 2 COMES WITH A STATUE OF A LADIES BOOBS OMG THIS IS THE WORST THING IN VIDEOGAMES' post being what broke me) had become and by the time I came back I didn't know a single one of the writers and most of the posts were about DotA or League of Legends.

By which you mean "John Walker has opinions I don't agree with" and rather than a) reading his articles anyway because he's a good writer or b) ignoring him you just gave up on the site altogether. I have about as much interest in DOTA/LOL as I do in bracken but as with any good site I just ignore the shit that isn't aimed at me.

Disco
23-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Some of the soap box stuff can be a little much for me sometimes but it's normally attempting to redress the balance in some way (the DI2 thing is a perfect example). Walker gets a bit mental sometimes but his podcast is lovely and he has a nice line in whimsy, on the other had I felt he took the Molyneux thing a step too far.

phonics
23-10-2015, 10:59 PM
By which you mean "John Walker has opinions I don't agree with" and rather than a) reading his articles anyway because he's a good writer or b) ignoring him you just gave up on the site altogether. I have about as much interest in DOTA/LOL as I do in bracken but as with any good site I just ignore the shit that isn't aimed at me.

No, the site lost it's personality of 'games are fun, we're some idiots writing a blog, lets have fun together' to 'games are serious business, we're serious business, here's our platform'. I still occasionally talk with Nick from John Walkers podcast but the blog format of the site has evolved to the point of if you aren't checking it once an hour you're scrolling through pages of shite. The top bar has got a little better but not much. That's fine. It's just not the site for me anymore.

Ian
23-10-2015, 11:00 PM
I like Walker even though I think he's often OTT and disagree with him because I think if you're not a mentalist who can't appreciate a voice you don't agree with he's clear in what he's saying.

And I sort of agree on the Molyneux stuff. But then, had anybody asked Molyneux this stuff before? He didn't need to be such a cunt but if it was genuine frustriation I empathise even if I don't accept his way of approaching it. Molyneuz is either a genuine dreamer, a delusional (dunno if those two are the same) or just a liar. And it's hard to approach that question without being a mega-dick or a wishy-washy twat.

No, the site lost it's personality of 'games are fun, we're some idiots writing a blog, lets have fun together' to 'games are serious business, we're serious business, here's our platform'. I still occasionally talk with Nick from John Walkers podcast but the blog format of the site has evolved to the point of if you aren't checking it once an hour you're scrolling through pages of shite. The top bar has got a little better but not much. That's fine. It's just not the site for me anymore.

I think there's still plenty of that, there's just lots of other stuff. They do take the Voice Of PC Gaming stuff a touch too seriously and as much as I enjoyed Sir I think they've lost a lot with Rossignol leaving (and probably Gillen as well) but there's plenty of nonsense still knocking above. But I know what you mean, there's some snobby bullshit there too. There was always an element of that there though.

And I don't see it as that much scrolling to get to the articles I want, either. I check it daily, though, that might be the difference.

Disco
23-10-2015, 11:12 PM
In the interests of not derailing the thread...

http://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/showthread.php?320-Games-Journalism-Thread&p=19619#post19619

Raoul Duke
24-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Has anyone found a decent map online yet? I want to see Whitechapel in detail so see what areas are in the game (it's up the road, IRL, from me).

Benny
29-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Saw an advert for this on TV and it looked pretty sweet, but I think I'll get Blackwater first as I'm bang into pirates at the moment.

Demerit
29-10-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm quite enjoying this actually.

The side-quests are enjoyable and the characters are fairly good.

Can't do one important side-quest though due to a glitch which means my character goes out of combat mode and can't get back in it during a boss fight to take over Lambeth.