PDA

View Full Version : European football - is it still relevant?

Jimmy Floyd
06-03-2017, 09:58 AM
BT have just renewed their exclusive Champions League and Europa League rights for the next 4 years, for £1.18 billion. There will no longer be highlights on terrestrial TV.

Because my household has Sky we don't also fork out for BT and we're relatively well off - many can't afford either. As a result I haven't watched any European football since 2014 and am unlikely to do so until 2021 and beyond unless I uncover some buried treasure.

A combination of that and the sameyness of the Champions League over the last five or so years means that I'm just not that interested in it anymore - for neutral games I'd much rather watch the Championship, for example, and I'm far more bothered about Chelsea winning the league this year and next than I would be about any European adventures to come.

There is also the issue of it being in midweek - most people have far more time to watch at the weekends.

Does this hold true for you or is Europe still the pinnacle? (poll to follow)

niko_cee
06-03-2017, 10:06 AM
It's the same old shit year on year, but perhaps it was ever thus.

Perhaps that's just how football is, and only the passage of time dulls the allure. Could do with an underdog winning the European Cup.

I don't have BT and have no interest in getting it even though I'll watch it if I'm somewhere that has it.

SvN
06-03-2017, 10:09 AM
It's difficult to be objective, because my interest waning has coincided with United being shit/not in Europe.

Adamski
06-03-2017, 10:22 AM
I don't think the thread would have been created if English teams hadn't been roundly terrible in the CL in the last 5-6 years so I'd say yes it's still relevant on the whole.

Kikó
06-03-2017, 10:27 AM
It's good to go to (like most football, it's actually better being there than watching Steve McManaman and Owen Hargreaves bore you to death) but they'll kill the interest by taking it off free to air. I'll keep streaming Benfica and Man United and be not bothered about the rest.

ItalAussie
06-03-2017, 10:32 AM
I follow it religiously, but that is likely because my team is a very outside chance most years, and I've never seen them win it before.

ItalAussie
06-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Also, let's not forget, we're all growing up a little bit. Football is never going to be as important to us in general as it used to be. It's a downward trend all the way. :(

GS
06-03-2017, 10:38 AM
I care about certain games in the last 16 that look interesting, any big ties in the quarters and would watch the semis and final.

I wouldn't watch any of the group games, and very, very little of the UEFA Cup (perhaps ten minutes, or at most a half here or there if it's an English team chasing a game).

Jimmy Floyd
06-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Also, let's not forget, we're all growing up a little bit. Football is never going to be as important to us in general as it used to be. It's a downward trend all the way. :(

Can be true but I'm talking more about the relative interest between domestic and European, particularly from a PL perspective. Internationals and the FA Cup already seem to have been confined to the dustbin.

In the 00s decade I don't think many would have said that the Champions League wasn't the biggest prize. Now I don't think many English clubs/fans are so bothered.

John Arne
06-03-2017, 10:42 AM
I haven't watch the Champions League for ages... mainly due to the selfish lot at UEFA not playing games at a suitable Asian time. They could learn a thing or two from the BPLSBB.

Adamski
06-03-2017, 10:43 AM
I care about certain games in the last 16 that look interesting, any big ties in the quarters and would watch the semis and final.

I wouldn't watch any of the group games, and very, very little of the UEFA Cup (perhaps ten minutes, or at most a half here or there if it's an English team chasing a game).

Not even if Liverpool were in it?

GS
06-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Not even if Liverpool were in it?

I might watch a second half, but even that I'd probably judge on the opposition. I already haven't bothered with a few of the league and cup games that have been on TV this year.

Jimmy Floyd
06-03-2017, 10:56 AM
I haven't watch the Champions League for ages... mainly due to the selfish lot at UEFA not playing games at a suitable Asian time. They could learn a thing or two from the BPLSBB.

They are absolutely desperate to move it to the weekend but there's no way of doing it.

The thing about the weekend is I can be flexible, i.e. if I need to do something on a Saturday and there's a game at 5pm, I can do my chore earlier and fit life around the game. In midweek, if I'm busy I'm busy and I won't be watching.

BT will be putting the finals, and certain highlights clips on Youtube because UEFA are concerned about tiny viewing figures (though obviously not concerned enough to not take the £1.18 billion on offer).

Spammer
06-03-2017, 11:00 AM
I'm less bothered than I used to be but that's mainly because (a) I'm busy doing other things nowadays and (b) English clubs are achieving fuck all in Europe anyway, and it's only them that I take an interest in.

Last time I watched a European match was when Liverpool were in the UEFA cup final last year, which they fucked up.

Adamski
06-03-2017, 11:31 AM
They are absolutely desperate to move it to the weekend but there's no way of doing it.

The thing about the weekend is I can be flexible, i.e. if I need to do something on a Saturday and there's a game at 5pm, I can do my chore earlier and fit life around the game. In midweek, if I'm busy I'm busy and I won't be watching.

BT will be putting the finals, and certain highlights clips on Youtube because UEFA are concerned about tiny viewing figures (though obviously not concerned enough to not take the £1.18 billion on offer).

I reckon it'll happen eventually. An English team getting to the final would need to play a maximum of 13 games.

Remove the CL teams from the League Cup, move a few more Premier League games to midweek and a couple of FA Cup games and you're just about there.

Magic
06-03-2017, 11:36 AM
I like the CL knockouts, the league is pointless. Also enjoy the Europa latter stages.

Jimmy Floyd
06-03-2017, 11:39 AM
I reckon it'll happen eventually. An English team getting to the final would need to play a maximum of 13 games.

Remove the CL teams from the League Cup, move a few more Premier League games to midweek and a couple of FA Cup games and you're just about there.

Why would the Premier League, or any of the other leagues, agree to give up their primetime weekend spots though?

Magic
06-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Actually if Virgin passed on any increases or made it a different sub package to the current XL one I have I'd be far more gutted about losing Moto GP. I can't really stream it as it's on at the weekends for so long and I watch it on Sunday evening. That would suck.

John Arne
06-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Why would the Premier League, or any of the other leagues, agree to give up their primetime weekend spots though?

Indeed. It's also worth noting that the Premier League is way more popular than the Champions League over here. In fact, nobody really cares about the Champions League (probably due to not having been previously exposed to it).

I think the Premier League's biggest worry is domestic TV viewing figures. Aren't both BT and Sky both struggling for viewers this season?

Adamski
06-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Depends on the potential windfall for the CL teams. They could pressure the PL to do it.

Spikey M
06-03-2017, 12:30 PM
I barely bothered when it was on ITV.

phonics
06-03-2017, 12:31 PM
People who claimed at the beginning of the season not to watch football anymore find football competition dull shocker.

Mazuuurk
06-03-2017, 12:53 PM
I still enjoy it, but not as much as I used to. When I was a kid I thought CL was the greatest thing ever, I would record the matches on VHS and watch them like over and over.

Of course that's a kids enthusiasm, but I did it for CL and not PL. Now that has changed a lot. I love the PL and I can easily enjoy a bit of Everton - Watford more than say Juventus - Athletic Madrid. FPL actually has some part in this, since it can make any games interesting almost.

Adamski
06-03-2017, 01:03 PM
People who claimed at the beginning of the season not to watch football anymore find football competition dull shocker.

Until own club starts doing well in said competition DOUBLE SHOCKER

Smiffy
06-03-2017, 01:04 PM
If my club is in it then of course.

Disco
06-03-2017, 02:09 PM
I don't think the thread would have been created if English teams hadn't been roundly terrible in the CL in the last 5-6 years so I'd say yes it's still relevant on the whole.

By that rationale do any Scotch need us to explain what the Champions League actually is?

Jimmy Floyd
06-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Chelsea were in it last year and I didn't watch a single minute because I don't have the channel, which is half the point of the thread. It gets like 400k on BT for the English club games.

Adamski
06-03-2017, 02:56 PM
By that rationale do any Scotch need us to explain what the Champions League actually is?

If I could bring myself to use Celtic as a comparison I'd call that LAZY, Disco.

John Arne
06-03-2017, 03:04 PM
“The UEFA Champions League is set to be even stronger from 2018/19, with a minimum of four participating teams now guaranteed from each of England, Spain, Germany and Italy, resulting in more games between the top European teams. Fans will also be able to enjoy UEFA Champions League ‘double header’ nights, as live matches will kick off at both 6pm and 8pm during the Group Stage.”

Not quite sure how playing games at 6pm is going to help viewing figures.

Adamski
06-03-2017, 03:11 PM
You don't see how people being able to watch two games in one night as opposed to one will help with viewing figures?

John Arne
06-03-2017, 03:30 PM
My point was that most people will be at work/commuting at that time - and I reckon most "average" fans won't be wanting to watch two games consecutively.

Kikó
06-03-2017, 03:32 PM
745 on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Another institution of European night football chucked out the window for the "viewers".

phonics
06-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Christ, that'll be 9PM kick offs over here. I won't be back from the pub before midnight on a school night.

niko_cee
06-03-2017, 03:35 PM
7.45 (or should that be 19.45?) always annoys me as being marginally too early so the move to 8pm is welcome.

They already have the double header thing with the shitty early games from Russia/Turkey/wherever.

John Arne
06-03-2017, 03:39 PM
6pm is good me :drool: Bring on Fenerbahce v Rosenborg...

Disco
06-03-2017, 04:13 PM
If I could bring myself to use Celtic as a comparison I'd call that LAZY, Disco.

Lazy is as good as you'll get out of me on a Monday lunchtime.

Dark Soldier
06-03-2017, 04:16 PM
As long as its still easy as fuck to stream it in superb quality via Acestream, I'll be interested in it.

The sport as a whole has waned as an interest for me, but more probably due to the fact I've been watching it for 26 years.

Lewis
06-03-2017, 04:24 PM
European football has slipped down the general priorities list owing to 1) less novelty value and; 2) more interesting games in England. Fifteen years ago you could only get HYPED about United vs Arsenal twice a year, which made them meeting their match abroad interesting. Unless somebody looks like a potential winner, who cares?

Jimmy Floyd
06-03-2017, 06:10 PM
I forgot that thing about ringfencing places for the top leagues. Removing merit is the death knell for any sport.

Disco
06-03-2017, 06:29 PM
What kind of audiences do they get in Europe? You wonder how long advertisers will stick around if the numbers are as low as they are for games on BT.

Reg
06-03-2017, 06:29 PM
At its best, it's the best football bar the World Cup. When you can tell both teams have done extra preparation, everything is so finely tuned and the tiniest mistake will be punished. The kind of goals scored feel unique, just utterly ruthless.

The interest will pick up when English teams get to the semis regularly again.

Shindig
06-03-2017, 07:17 PM
It means more to the teams, yes. I just wish they wouldn't fiddle with the formats so much. That said, it's getting harder to follow thanks to TV rights.

Raoul Duke
06-03-2017, 08:13 PM
I have BT (there's very little choice in my area) and so I picked up the sport package. I'm not sure it'd keep me here if I moved somewhere else and had a different option.

I'd prioritise internet speed over access to games.

I still watch the odd game, but I'm not religious about it. The BT Sport website is absolutely fucking hideous for trying to find what you actually want, so it annoys me every time I have to think about it :moop:

Bartholomert
06-03-2017, 09:39 PM

This. I just don't care anymore, life is in the way.

-james-
06-03-2017, 09:51 PM
At its best, it's the best football bar the World Cup. When you can tell both teams have done extra preparation, everything is so finely tuned and the tiniest mistake will be punished. The kind of goals scored feel unique, just utterly ruthless.

The interest will pick up when English teams get to the semis regularly again.

I agree with this. I'm not really arsed about City's win over Sunderland at the weekend, or Monaco triumphing over Nantes, but the match between the two was one of the best games I've seen in a while.

There have been loads of great matches in this stage this year. That, the Atletico, PSG & Arsenal games were all very enjoyable. But I'm a neutral so probably a pervert with an irrelevant opinion.

Jimmy Floyd
06-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Monaco have the novelty of being relatively new on the block with a load of young players, which is a nice featue of this sort of round. I think I've seen every conceivable Bayern Madrid v Barsenalona tie by now.

Lewis
06-03-2017, 10:15 PM
Have we ever had a properly committed neutral? Yevrah supports Sky, so don't say him.

Baz
06-03-2017, 10:18 PM
Genuinely surprised by the responses to this thread. European football, especially in the Champions League knockout rounds, is peak football. I love it; it's absolutely outstanding more often than not, and I get to watch players I wouldn't see otherwise. Obviously it's better when Liverpool are in it (especially when they reach the final) but I still watch it even when they're not.

As for the BT thing I don't pay for any sports channels [legally] but have watched more football this season than I have in the previous six or seven. It's great. Liverpool performances aside (for obvious reasons) it's probably my favourite Premier League season since 2005.

Yevrah
06-03-2017, 10:19 PM
I was probably the closest. Not that I care much these days mind.

Disco
06-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Have we ever had a properly committed neutral? Yevrah supports Sky, so don't say him.

Do I count?

Lewis
06-03-2017, 11:07 PM
You've made at least one Hillsborough joke, so no.

ItalAussie
06-03-2017, 11:50 PM

Yev's Norwich City, isn't he? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Lewis
07-03-2017, 12:01 AM
Sky. He still wears his 2007/08 shirt with 'KEYS 9' on the back for Super Sundays.

Ian
07-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Don't have BT and it turns out I'd rather be doing other things with my screens than stream because I don't care enough.

Not that I even watch as much Premier League these days. Burnley vs. West Brom on SUPER SUNDAY. Who gives a fuck?

Giggles
07-03-2017, 07:21 AM
I probably watch more football now than I ever did on TV but it's mainly just a big English game or something with interest for the national team further down the English leagues. The league of Ireland has far more TV coverage than it used to too so I'll watch whichever live game is on RTE or Eir that week.

Champions League just bores me to fucking tears though. Can't really put my finger on why, though this year has been a bit better.

Ian
07-03-2017, 07:12 PM
I'd still be at live football all the time if I had one nearby I wanted to pay the money for. I reckon if Hamilton were closer to £15 I'd go a number of times a season.

Jimmy Floyd
07-03-2017, 07:25 PM
If I had a club near me that was smaller than Chelsea but bigger than fucking Woking, I'd go a lot I think.

Lewis
07-03-2017, 07:31 PM
You wouldn't.

Disco
07-03-2017, 07:33 PM
I can see St James Park from my garden, I'll probably go to some more in the run in as we're actually in with a shout of the playoffs. #FairWeatherWanker

Giggles
07-03-2017, 07:36 PM
I just go to away games outside Dublin. Works out well though as I don't pay for fuel and we're supposed to be boycotting anyway.

phonics
07-03-2017, 08:45 PM
If I had a club near me that was smaller than Chelsea but bigger than fucking Woking, I'd go a lot I think.

That's how I ended up an Arsenal fan. It's hard for a Surrey lad to SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TEAM.

-james-
08-03-2017, 09:48 PM
Bump.

Magic
08-03-2017, 09:48 PM
:harold:

Kikó
08-03-2017, 10:04 PM
I listened to the city game. Motwyw.

Jimmy Floyd
08-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Bump.

Hardly anyone will have watched it...

Magic
08-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Am I part of an exclusive bourgeois elite? :drool:

Pleb
08-03-2017, 10:25 PM
To be fair once ITV's deal expires and BT'S EXCLUSIVE deal starts no one will/may give a shit.

Raoul Duke
08-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Am I part of an exclusive bourgeois elite? :drool:

No, you live in Scotland

Magic
08-03-2017, 10:47 PM
Ah the 'no' voters you mean? :cool:

Disco
08-03-2017, 10:48 PM
Plus you're a complete pleb.

Jimmy Floyd
08-03-2017, 10:50 PM
In the event that Scotland goes independent, England should issue special refugee visas for those who fulfil the following criteria:

- Voted 'No'
- Voted 'Leave'
- Can say 'girl' as one syllable
- Don't know the full lyrics to 'Ally's Tartan Army'

Adamski
08-03-2017, 10:51 PM
Got worried there but Magic and Waff will definitely fail number 3. Let me in.

Magic
08-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Love young girruls.