PDA

View Full Version : The Pokemon Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Byron
23-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Yeah bitches. Can't have a new forum without this bad boy.

So currently Nuzlocking X and I've gotten further than ever have done previously as I'm near the Kalos Power Plant. I fear I may have overleveled a tad but I love the Battle Chateau too much. Team is;

Level 39 Tyrantrum
Level 38 Chesnaught
Level 38 Charizard
Level 35 Malamar
Level 35 Lucario
Level 35 Lapras

If I'm missing something, it's that I have no real answer to Fairies and usually need pure bulk to beat them. Fighting types are left to Malamar but it's not ideal because he's only neutral to Fighting attacks and doesn't have brilliant bulk.

Only death being my Florges so far and if I beat this game, next stop is ORAS.

P_3
23-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Looks good. Lucario should be just fine with his steel type moves. :cool:

Really need to get myself back to Kalos for another go.

Dan
23-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Have you guys seen all the stuff about the new Zygarde forms?

P_3
23-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Looks really naff and pointless. :yawn:

I'm disappointed that there have been no news on the next version of Pokemon. Having been out of the loop for a while, I was sure there'd be something.

Dan
23-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I don't really get it either, although I did hear a good explanation of how it all fits in with the Norse mythology of the X&Y mons (Xerneas & Yveltal, at least).

From a pokemon perspective I have no idea what some of those forms will actually offer, and the more advanced forms both look shit. Ash Greninja looks bollocks as well, but I guess we'll see how the end up whenever the next game comes out.

Browning
24-09-2015, 07:12 AM
Pokemon Go sounds interesting. Until that or a new game is out though not sure I'll play any.

five time
24-09-2015, 04:53 PM
They really need to do something different with the next one to pique my interest. Once I've seen the new pokemon that's the interest over really, it's just a reskinned game.

I just wish there was a more challenging mode - forcing rules onto myself like nuzlockes to make it harder just seems silly.

Dan
24-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I don't really know what else they can do to keep things going once you've done all the story stuff though - Battle Maison is a very good addition as you can always try to beat your record, but unless you want to breed and/or do battles all the time it's difficult to think of what other things they can add that'll keep it interesting after you've beaten the game.

A harder game mode & an option to add rules like nuzlockes & randomisers would definitely add to the longevity of the game though, especially if they could be saved onto different files - possibly make one 'main game' slot, one 'new game +' slot & one 'challenge mode' slot, with only the main game file being usable in competitive & online.

Browning
24-09-2015, 07:40 PM
It's about time a proper Pokemon game came to a real console. I know they tried a couple on the Gamecube but they were shit.

Adam
24-09-2015, 09:12 PM
I cant understand why they don't release some of the older pokemon games on smart phones they could make a killing with in app purchases buying rare candys or certain pokemon, They would make a fortune just of me, surely they must have looked into it.

I've had a look at that Pokemon Go but I'm not sure how that's going to work.

Alex Ferguson
26-09-2015, 11:18 PM
Been meaning to go old school and start a save on Gold/Silver with nothing but Ice Pokémon to see how I'd do (that and they're my second favourite type).

ItalAussie
27-09-2015, 03:29 AM
I've been thinking of giving Heart Gold a bash on my DS emulator. The problem is that it's a bit slow, although I think it might just be my computer struggling to run it through emulation.

Alex Ferguson
28-09-2015, 10:05 PM
It's the 17th anniversary of Pokémon Red/Blue's release in the US. Brings back memories of when I Blue for my 10th birthday.

P_3
29-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Started up X again. Got myself a Quiladin, Ivysaur and Whirlipede in what I'm going to coin the "Domino Nuzlocke". The idea is you can only catch a Pokemon which has a type which matches one of the not paired up types on the end Pokemon. In my case I can only catch and add to the team a Fighting or a Bug type. Bit restrictive, but it stops me hoarding pretty much all the Pokes under the sun and struggling to choose a team.

Byron
16-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Hoopa is being released over here. October 23rd to November 5th

Comes with Focus Sash and it's moves are Nasty Plot, Psychic, Astonish and Hyperspace Hole.

Light ball Pikachu is available until 30th October as well.

Browning
16-10-2015, 10:26 PM
How do you get him? Go to GAME?

Byron
17-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Yup.

Byron
01-11-2015, 06:05 AM
Spare Hoopa code going. First come first serve.

Dan
01-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Go on then.

Byron
01-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Cool, I'll PM you later, got to nip out but code is valid until the 5th anyway.

Dan
01-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Cool. I could probably get one myself, but I never have time to get into town so chances are I'd have forgotten about it otherwise.

Browning
12-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Red, Blue and Yellow confirmed for E-Shop in February. :D

Alex Ferguson
13-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Red, Blue and Yellow confirmed for E-Shop in February. :D

Really excited for this.

Browning
13-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Yea, it's mental. I could easily get them on an emulator and be playing them within about 30 seconds, but there's something about it being on a handheld console, being able to trade with people and not having a speed button that makes me excited for it.

Alex Ferguson
15-11-2015, 11:24 PM
So, I take it the trading will require two people using the same network?

Browning
19-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Yea, looks like it'll only be with someone in the same room as you (or whatever) as opposed to world wide. Not 100% sure about that, but seems so. That's how it should be anyway.

Alex Ferguson
29-11-2015, 12:07 PM
16 years have passed and I still don't have friends to trade with (who can be in the same room).

Alex Ferguson
06-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Started a randomised game on Pokémon Silver.

Swinub (Porc) - Lv 16
Elekid (Tro) - Lv 15
Croconaw (Caiman) - Lv 19
Pidgeotto (Colom) - Lv 18
Nidorino (Rei) - Lv 18

Gave them Catalan nicknames to be different. Holding out for a Fire type that isn't Vulpix.

Dan
14-12-2015, 08:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhKYU2tJ8II

Nintendo have revealed a new pokemon. Two years after people discovered it in the code of X&Y :)

Dan
16-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Two stall teams faced each other on Showdown. It lasted over a thousand turns, and (apparently) more than seven hours. (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-305002749) :D

Gotta give them both a lot of respect for playing it out, but also question what they're doing with their lives. Watching it now and I've currently just passed turn 100, and everything's still basically at full health. Pretty sure we're going to get 13 Struggle suicides here...

ItalAussie
16-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Two stall teams faced each other on Showdown. It lasted over a thousand turns, and (apparently) more than seven hours. (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-305002749) :D

Gotta give them both a lot of respect for playing it out, but also question what they're doing with their lives. Watching it now and I've currently just passed turn 100, and everything's still basically at full health. Pretty sure we're going to get 13 Struggle suicides here...

I feel like once you're an hour in, you're basically committed until the very end. :D

ItalAussie
16-12-2015, 11:55 PM
700 turns and nothing's dead yet.

ItalAussie
17-12-2015, 12:02 AM
Things start to faint at about turn 950ish.

Shindig
17-12-2015, 06:25 AM
http://kotaku.com/5890728/a-pokemon-team-was-thrown-out-of-a-hotel-for-throwing-shit

The quote is fantastic. Outdone a couple of years later when someone brought in 15 replica weapons.

Dan
17-12-2015, 07:44 PM
I got to turn 509 last night. Will watch the second half of the battle later. It's utterly ridiculous that nothing even struggles to death for 900 turns.

About 2-300 turns in people start joining the battle & slating them both for using stall/stall in general, so I can only imagine how much worse that gets as they reach a thousand turns :D

Browning
17-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Why have you got me watching this? 600 turns of fuck all. This is why I never got into the competitive battling side of the games.

Browning
17-12-2015, 09:27 PM
That said, I am addicted. I really hope Chef wins, he seems to be the far superior player, for what it is. There really should be some kind of limit on how often you can switch though, because at points this has been ridiculous.

Them starting to argue with each other at like Turn 700 is incredible. :D

How does his Gliscor use Struggle sometimes and then use other moves? I was sure he used it earlier (like around 630) and he just used it again at 729 or so and then used Substitute and then used Protect....

"Crime" is really pissing me off now, just constantly swapping between Slowbro and Heatran while there's nothing the other guy can do. I really pray he loses.

Dan
17-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I've just got to turn 641, where the first struggle happens. Glister was taunted, so it was presumably out of EQ's, and since that was its only attacking move it was forced to struggle despite having non-attacking moves left due to the taunt.

It does start to get a bit switch stally around the 600s though.

EDIT: Just getting to the part where they start arguing :D In fairness, Crime has literally not attacked for thirty turns at this point, which is pretty fucking ridiculous, even in the context of this game.

700 turns before they put on the timer :D Crime is clearly just stalling with the aim of getting the turn counter as high as possible, rather than actually trying to win. Probably going to win as well, since all the switching has saved loads of PP compared to Chef (great username, by the way)

Browning
17-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Yea, I could totally see the other guys point. Crime only gets worse and worse as it goes on too. I'm at about 860 now and the last 100 turns or maybe even more have been unbearable.

Browning
17-12-2015, 10:26 PM
0-1 :(

Come on Chef, I still believe.

Dan
17-12-2015, 10:34 PM
I like how the game makes everyone so angry that, not only do the two player start arguing, but other people join and argue with each other as well :D

Bloody hell, they've even got Zarel (the guy who runs Showdown) in there now.

EDIT: 940+ turns and Chansey gets the first kill. Sums the whole thing up.

100 turns until the next thing dies :moop:

Browning
17-12-2015, 10:48 PM
I really thought I posted my prediction on here before seeing what happened... but guess not. It was spot on though, and really it was obvious for a very, very long time.

Spoilered just in case Dan is still gripped.... :D

I just didn't see any way for Crime to win given he couldn't set up Stealth Rocks and didn't have enough good moves for them to matter. Inevitably his team eventually fell to the stealth rocks, and Chef takes it 6-1

Dan
17-12-2015, 11:50 PM
Just finished watching it. Gonna go get a drink now, I think :D

Chef probably slept for the entirety of the next day after that.

Baz
18-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Why am I watching this?

Dan
20-12-2015, 12:17 PM
Got back into Showdown recently. Made a load of teams, most of which I haven't actually used yet, but I'm currently having some fun at the bottom of the ladder with sub-punch Breloom.

Skilful dodging (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-307190805)
Press F to pay respects (http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-ou-307191970)

Literally the only two times I've got it to work :D

EDIT: A half health Breloom 1v1'd a Talonflame (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-307200788) :cool:

Browning
20-12-2015, 05:50 PM
That exchange at the end of the last match. :D

Only 22 turns though so a pretty poor effort. Needed at least 1000 more.

Dan
20-12-2015, 08:50 PM
What, him calling me a cunt then immediately apologising? :D I was pretty happy with the way I played in that game though.

I've pretty much scrapped that team for now, having got rid of Breloom (the entire reason for making the team in the first place), and failed to find anything else good to replace it. Not sure which team to try next though - a team based around wallbreaker Darmanitan (adamant band) is the next most gimmicky, otherwise they're all fairly standard, but probably shit. Otherwise i have a UU team based around Specs, Flash Fire Arcanine in the Sun, which will blatantly work even less than sub-punch Breloom did.

I do have one team that might be solid, but I don't want to use that one in case it turns out to actually be terrible.

Browning
29-12-2015, 01:42 PM
I have a question I'm going to stick in here because I assume most of you are DS users...

I've taken the plunge and gotten myself a "New 3DS XL". The old one I've had since launch and I felt like a change, especially with so many DS games I want coming out. It comes with a pathetic 4GB of storage so I've gone and bought myself a 32GB Micro SD card which I'll need to install once it arrives. But.... what then?

Some of the guides I'm looking at for transferring data suggest that the "Data Transfer" option won't carry over Save Files, but I think those guides are outdated. Most of the new ones say it will, and everything will come over and be fine. If that's the case then great. I'd rather wait 4 hours for a transfer than fuck about with PC files and potentially lose some of my games. But the other issue is I have 2 SD cards for my 3DS that I alternate between because I filled one up. I'm assuming the best approach will be to Data Transfer the full one (which I think is only 4GB anyway) and then use a PC to transfer the files from the 2nd one onto the new one as well? Is there any flaw to that? Any better ideas?

As a last resort I could just use the old DS whenever I want to play one of the 2-3 games that I used the other SD card for.... but that would be a bit annoying.

Are Pokemon games stored to the card, or the DS? Really and truly those are the only games I'd be upset about losing the data for, off the top of my head.

Browning
30-12-2015, 01:40 AM
Got it all working, but now I'm horribly addicted to Pokemon Picross. Fuck sake.

Browning
30-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Avoid Pokemon Picross like the plague. While it's fun and addictive, it's got to be the worst example (by which I mean, most annoying) of a "free to play, pay to win" game ever made.

Dan
30-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I found Shuffle to be pretty irritating for the same reason.

In other news, there's a Mew event in Japan based around the Red, Green, Blue & Yellow e-shop releases, so hopefully we'll get the same thing when they come over to us :yn:

Browning
28-01-2016, 11:11 PM
The Mew event is confirmed for February (all month) over here.

In other news.... what the fuck is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9j9RWkPstc

Dan
30-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Why it's Detective Pikachu of course! Maybe that should be PI-kachu? Nuzlocke Holmes? :sorry:

But yeah, hooray for Mew.

ItalAussie
31-01-2016, 12:47 AM
I saw the Pikachu thing. :D

They know how to expand a franchise over there.

Browning
01-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Anyone ever played any of the Mystery Dungeon games? My brother has had a few over the years and I've played half an hour here and there but never properly. Tempted by the new one coming out though as it's always seemed somewhat enjoyable, I just wonder if it gets really repetitive the further on you get?

Byron
14-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Game are doing a free code every month for the year. This month is Mew.

Byron
14-02-2016, 05:54 PM
Okay so if Europe is the same as the American list then the lineup is as follows;

February: Mew
March: Celebi
April: Jirachi
May: Darkrai
June: Manaphy
July: Shaymin
August: Arceus
September: Victini
October: Keldeo
November: Genesect
December: Meloetta

What a lineup.

Dan
14-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Sounds rather tasty. I really need to get down & pick myself up a Mew (or multiple, if possible).

They revealed a new Pokemon in Coro Coro a few days ago too - Magiana, a 'man-made' pokemon who looks like a potential steel-fairy/psychic dual type legendary, and is part of the upcoming Volcanion film.

Browning
14-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Yea that's pretty cool although I wish I didn't have to go to GAME as it's not easy for me to get to one and the mate I had working at one who used to just send me codes no longer works there. Maybe he can still get me one through people that work there, we'll see. Not sure why they can't just do it online.

Browning
25-02-2016, 08:08 PM
There's a Pokemon themed Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 3pm. :drool:

Samadini
25-02-2016, 08:43 PM
How much is Yellow going to be on the 3DS (It's available for download on Friday, right?)?

Browning
25-02-2016, 08:51 PM
It's out on Saturday. It's $9.99 in America so around that kind of price I'd guess, don't think they've confirmed a UK price.

Edit- Game are selling download codes for Ł8.99... so guess we're getting ripped off.

Dan
25-02-2016, 09:31 PM
Yep, it is indeed Ł8.99 (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/02/pokemon_red_blue_and_yellow_european_pricing_is_co nfirmed) :moop:

Still, I'll be all over those. Which one(s) are people getting?

Browning
25-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Red on launch as I'm doing a Nuzlocke challenge with some people I know (because we're cool!) and then probably Yellow at some stage.

Browning
26-02-2016, 07:52 AM
A lot of people speculating that Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon are going to be announced this afternoon...

Byron
26-02-2016, 09:45 AM
:drool:

Just as I'm starting a Nuzlocke of Black.

Sam
26-02-2016, 11:21 AM
A lot of people speculating that Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon are going to be announced this afternoon...

Would this be the 8th generation or something?

Byron
26-02-2016, 11:33 AM
I'd wager it would still be 6th Gen. Considering they are due to sort out Pokémon Z and Sinnoh remakes at some point, my guess would be that they would do Z after this and then save Sinnoh for the jump to 7th Gen.

phonics
26-02-2016, 12:25 PM
I'm playing Black at the moment. Good shit.

Dan
26-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Logically we'd get Z as part of Gen 6, then Sun/Moon (maybe Stars as a third?) & Pearl/Diamond remakes for Gen 7.

This could just be the announcement that they're working on G7 - at which point they may or may not also reveal whether Z is a thing or not - or it could be a completely different set of games altogether. It's a 5min video at 3pm today though, so I doubt we'll be getting a huge amount of info either way.

And B/W and B2/W2 are the best generation of games for me. Restrictive in terms of the availability of mons, but easily the best storyline, and lots of good post-game content & bits to do on the side.

Browning
26-02-2016, 01:16 PM
I concur, they were great. I'm totally unable to get into X or Y a second time but black and white were great. I feel like this will be a new generation. Anything else would be poor for the 20th anniversary.

Byron
26-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Here's a good straw poll for the 5 of us still playing, how would you rank all the games? I'd say;

Black/White
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Black 2/White 2
X/Y
Platinum
Heart Gold/Soul Silver
Diamond/Pearl
Fire Red/Leaf Green
Ruby/Sapphire
Gold/Silver
Red/Blue

Browning
26-02-2016, 01:23 PM
ORAS was god awful. I've not even finished it. Just too easy. When you one shot the double gym with surf on a not over levelled mon you know it's broken. Gold and Silver and their remakes are similarly awful but Ruby and Sapphire are probably my favourites as in what I enjoyed most first time through. Not sure how they'd hold up.

Byron
26-02-2016, 01:46 PM
ORAS was easy? I don't know about that, but I go for one run and then play everything after as on Nuzlocke rules, so my opinion may be colored by that. Oh and Ruby was the first Pokémon game I ever got for the GBA, so nostalgia may be playing a part there too.

Browning
26-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Confirmed and can trade with red blue and yellow. :drool:

Sam
26-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Gold/Silver for pure nostalgia was the best. When you beat Johto and being told you can go to Kanto was one of the great gaming moments for me as a kid. Then going to fight Red. It was a purely fantastic game.

Byron
26-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Confirmed and can trade with red blue and yellow. :drool:

Oh that is going to massively drive up sales. I'll certainly buy one or the other :nodd:

Browning
26-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Here's a good straw poll for the 5 of us still playing, how would you rank all the games? I'd say;

Black/White
Black 2/White 2
X/Y
Platinum
Heart Gold/Soul Silver
Diamond/Pearl
Fire Red/Leaf Green
Ruby/Sapphire
Gold/Silver
Red/Blue

Off the top of my head.... and some of them do kind of merge together a bit...

Black/White- This was the one that had ALL new Pokemon, right? Loved that.
Black 2/White 2- Great sequel and the old Pokemon playing a role made the game different enough to BW. Perfect formula really.
Ruby/Sapphire- Definitely me favorites on the first run through and it took me ages to tire of replaying them.
X/Y- Thought the first one through of them was amazing, but has zero replay value for me, probably because there's periods where nothing happens for fucking ages.
Diamond/Pearl- Good games, and the hype of it being on DS was cool.
Fire Red/Leaf Green- Loved going back to Kanto after so many years.
Red/Blue- The originals are still cool.
HG/SS- Somehow held my attention through one play through, which is more than can be said for ORAS.
ORAS- Piss poor considering how much I loved Ruby and Sapphire, and as I said, much much too easy. Most of the people I know who bought it haven't finished it either because there was no point.
And then Gold/Silver, which as we've discussed before in these threads, is just a totally broken fucking mess of a game.

I've never played Platinum, but I can't imagine much differentiates it from D/P.

ORAS definitely has the potential to move up if I ever give it another chance, but not sure when that will be.

Dan
26-02-2016, 10:26 PM
1. Black/White & Black 2/White 2 - as I said before, just the best game in terms of story, postgame content & side quests. Fuck that fucking Emolga in the electric gym though :panda:

2. X&Y - probably the second best storyline by pokemon standards, and it also benefited from all the big changes to the formula they introduced.

3. OR/AS - having never properly played the originals all the way through, I actually enjoyed this a fair bit. It benefits from the new additions in X&Y, plus all the extras they added in for these games, but it dies an absolute death once you finish the story unless you want to breed or do Battle Maison forever.

4. FR/LG - can't really remember a lot about them from this point on, but I know I've played all the way through this one, which puts it ahead of Gen 3 & 4, and it's not as shit as HGSS, so #4 it is.

5. Ruby/Sapphire - didn't play it all the way through, but played it more than Diamond & Pearl, so it goes ahead.

6. Diamond/Pearl - I don't hate it like HG/SS.

7. HG/SS - these were just awfully balanced, to the point where you were struggling to beat the Elite 4 then steamrolling the entire second half of the game, before having to grind 50 levels from nowhere in order to be able to fight Red. Bleh.

---

I've not included the original versions of the first two generations as I don't really remember them well enough to distinguish between them & their respective remakes. I've probably misremembered half of the list anyway, to be fair.

Browning
27-02-2016, 12:02 AM
It's out. :drool:

Browning
27-02-2016, 01:15 AM
My Nuzlocke should have ended in my very first battle. I caught a Pidgey at Level 3 and then got rid of Squirtle as per the agreed rules. Go up against a Ratatta (also level 3) and he uses Tail Whip and then Tackle which does 7 of my 15HP. I thought my 2nd Gust would kill him but it didn't and then he used Tackle again and got a critical hit.... and I didn't die. In fact I had 2 HP left. What the actual fuck?

I save for the night having got to Varidian Forest (but only ventured in to get my catch) with a Level 6 Pidgey, Level 6 Rattata and a Level 4 Weedle. Fun times. Can't decide if Weedle is even worth it but then he might be the only variety in terms of moves for a while.

Pleb
27-02-2016, 01:57 AM
The pokemon on the cover of Sun looks a bit tasty :drool:

Browning
27-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Also looks fake, if you're looking at the pic I found when I googled it.

Don't think there is a cover yet. If there was they'd have shown it yesterday.

ItalAussie
27-02-2016, 01:07 PM

Black/White
Black 2/White 2
X/Y
Platinum
Heart Gold/Soul Silver
Diamond/Pearl
Fire Red/Leaf Green
Ruby/Sapphire
Gold/Silver
Red/Blue

Crystal
Gold/Silver
FireRed/LeafGreen
Red/Blue
Ruby/Sapphire

I didn't play any after that. :(

Browning
27-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Beating Brock with Pidgey and Rattata is really, really fun....

Felt like it took about 3 hours to chip them down. :D But we made it.

P_3
27-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Are there any changes to the re-releases? Types, moves? Or are they just carbon copies of Red, Blue and Yellow released all those years ago?

Browning
27-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Seems like carbon copies which is what we would want.

Dan
27-02-2016, 02:11 PM
Yeah, if the cover is meant to be the fire/dark looking dogs, that looks fake as fuck. I preferred the Solrock/Lunatone versions I saw :D

Will be downloading Yellow later today. There goes my trip to the gym...

Browning
27-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Misty was a piece of piss for my new Gloom. He's only the 3rd Mon I've been able to obtain as every route has given me Rattata or fucking Weedle. Still, Gloom :cool:

In theory Surge should be easy thanks to the guaranteed Diglett but Erica might prove an issue, especially if Pidgeotto still refuses to learn anything worthwhile. Gen 1 Move sets were all shit, weren't they? :D At least I guess they made up for it with decent TMs being available throughout.

Dan
27-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Bought Yellow & just about to start playing.

Samadini
27-02-2016, 08:02 PM
I'm on Yellow too. :cool:

Browning
27-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Jesus. I caught my Diglett and trained it on the SS Anne. I then went to the route on the right of Surge's town to try and train him more along with my new Drowzee... but Diglett got hit with a critical hit slash from some cunts Sandshrew and died. The back up plan? Fetch my Dig TM from the PC and give it to Raticate, who then OHKO'ed all of Surge's Pokemon, having done the same to my rival on the boat. Fucking Raticate. Who knew?

Dan
27-02-2016, 11:21 PM
Raticate :cool:

Fighting Brock with a team that only has normal & electric type moves does not seem like my idea of fun :moop:

Samadini
27-02-2016, 11:44 PM
I had the same prospect, but my Butterfree is shitting on everyone with Confusion.

Browning
28-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Brock is much easier in Yellow thanks to the inclusion of Nidoran (which now learns Double Kick early) and Mankey. If you're Nuzlocking and didn't get those... then yea, you'll have fun like I did.

Browning
28-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Fuck off. Training my new Drowzee and he uses Confusion on a Geodude and puts it on about 1 health and then Geodude uses Self Destruct and kills him. Cunt.

I am destined to never expand this team.

Dan
28-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Yeah, Butterfree is my main hope at the minute.

I have a Pikachu (lv13), Metapod (lv9), Nidoran (lv6) & Rattata (lv3), but I may have to go & seek out a Mankey if all else fails. Gonna try to use a few of the shitter mons a bit further into the game, rather than just rolling with Pikachu plus all three starters, a bird & an HM slave.

Browning
28-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Nidoran will get Double Kick shortly and make short work of Brock. This is why I went for Red, other than it being my first game, Yellow is just too easy with all 3 starters plus Pikachu. That said Pikachu isn't really that useful past Misty and never evolving is a pain in the arse.

Baz
28-02-2016, 06:39 PM
What a game Red is. :drool:

Good luck getting a Kangaskhan from that dreaded Safari Zone. :moop:

Dan
28-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Yeah, isn't it literally the next level (7) that it learns Double Kick? Should probably grind it a bit beyond that though, as it's still not too great against pokemon almost twice that level.

Nidoking, Raticarte & Butterfree is a decent trio to put alongside Pikachu, but I'll be keeping an eye out for other interesting additions. Might have to go in on a Machop & an Abra, since I can actually trade evolve them at last \o/

EDIT: Nope, just checked & it learns Double Kick at lv12. Butterfree it is.

Samadini
28-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Yeah I'm looking to roll with some of the chaps that I'd not normally have bothered with, but that's tricky early doors, so at the moment my squad is Mew, Mankey, Pikachu, Charmander and Butterfree. Want to get myself a Cloyster, he always looks badass but never really bothered with a Shellder.

Dan
28-02-2016, 08:39 PM
How did you get the Mew? Did I not notice there was a code included or something?

Browning
28-02-2016, 08:53 PM
You can glitch a Mew early game, so I'm guessing that way.

Samadini
28-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Yeah I just did the nugget bridge glitch, I couldn't resist. I doubt I'll keep him with me, just wanted him for completions sake.

Byron
28-02-2016, 09:17 PM
You mean the original glitches are in the game? Ho-Lee shit :drool:

Samadini
28-02-2016, 09:34 PM
I've given Mew bubblebeam and he's now just taking the piss with his speed, so I'm keeping him in the squad.

Fuck it.

Dan
28-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I've just seen how it's done. Guess I'll have to be rolling with a Mew then...

P_3
29-02-2016, 12:04 PM
All this talk of the first gen has got me wanting to embark on a six gen play through. Going to start with Fire Red though as I find looking at the old Red sprites hurts my eyes. Plus I love my running shoes. I'm going to do a Nuzlocke using evolved Pokemon with the lowest base stats and you've guessed it I'm going to be giving them all TTH names ala Ian and his XCom 2 playthrough. First 'mon is Vim the Lonely Bulbasaur who will end up a Venusaur. :drool:

Browning
29-02-2016, 02:51 PM
After going so long with just Pidgeotto, Gloom and mostly Raticate, I've finally got some new team members who have proven capable of sticking around. It's become a bit of a solo run of late though....

Gengar- Level 44- Psychic, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Thunderbolt
Gloom- Level 35- Mega Drain, Cut, Acid, Sleep Powder
Raticate- Level 34- Dig, Hyper Fang, Quick Attack, Water Gun
Nidoking- Level 33- Horn Attack, Poison Sting, Surf, Body Slam
Pidgeotto- Level 31- Wing Attack, Fly, Quick Attack, Sand Attack
Shellder- Level 30- Surf, Supersonic, Clamp, Aurora Beam

Need to make some decisions as to whether some of them are worth using going forward. Nidoking's moves are a bit shit but I've just caught him and not even used him yet. I can get him Earthquake soon to make him the 2nd most useful mon behind Gengar. I guess I need to start considering the Elite 4 Types and make decisions based on that. Shellder is also a new catch but he should be a solid mon once he learns Ice Beam and evolves.

P_3
29-02-2016, 04:43 PM
As expected Vim made mincemeat of Brock and his rocks. Joining him for the ride are Baz the relaxed Rattata and Smiffy the timid Caterpie who is now a Metapod.

EDIT: Approaching Cerulean we have picked up Foe the bold Spearow, Giggles the serious Geodude and GS the mild Ekans. It is quite likely that the next capture will see Vim relegated to the bench, leaving me with a bunch of underleveled weaklings.

Dan
29-02-2016, 06:56 PM
After going so long with just Pidgeotto, Gloom and mostly Raticate, I've finally got some new team members who have proven capable of sticking around. It's become a bit of a solo run of late though....

Need to make some decisions as to whether some of them are worth using going forward. Nidoking's moves are a bit shit but I've just caught him and not even used him yet. I can get him Earthquake soon to make him the 2nd most useful mon behind Gengar. I guess I need to start considering the Elite 4 Types and make decisions based on that. Shellder is also a new catch but he should be a solid mon once he learns Ice Beam and evolves.

I'm all for Nidoking - EQ will be super handy, then chuck in Ice Beam for Lance & any two from T-bolt, Surf, Fire Blast or Rock Slide depending on what coverage you're missing, so in your case probably Fire Blast & Rock Slide. That plus a Gengar with Shadow Ball & Psychic should see you through most of the Elite Four pretty easily.

Giggles
29-02-2016, 07:38 PM
What has happened here with the mention?

Browning
29-02-2016, 07:41 PM
P-3 has named a Pokemon after you... That's all.

Shellder levels up so god damn slowly.

And shadow ball? Dream on, Dan. :D

Giggles
29-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Fame at last :cool:

Carry on.

Vim
29-02-2016, 08:56 PM
You named your starter after me?

Pleb
29-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Hope I get a mention :sherlock:

Bet you I will be a Shorlax :moop:

Dan
29-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Does Shadow Ball not exist in Gen 1? :D WHAT THE FUCK IS ITS STAB?!

First gen was really fucking terrible for good moves. I ditched plans for about five different mons to target after realising half the moves I'd been intending for them to use didn't exist.

---

Oh, and Celebi is being given away on X,Y & ORAS via Wireless Mystery Gift from today. Just about to pick mine up.

Browning
29-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Yea no Shadow Ball.... but you know what's worse. Thanks to some glitch, Ghost moves DO NOT EFFECT Psychic Type Pokemon whatsoever when they were meant to be Super Effective. Couple that with the only 3 Ghost types being part poison (weak to Psychic) and it's literally the worst type in the game. Thankfully Gengar is a fucking don with insane special, but yea....

I didn't believe that Ghost thing so I tried it out using the only Ghost move in the game... lick. It didn't work. I deleted lick.

Browning
29-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Turned on to get Celebi and was given Gengar, Pumpkaboo and Diancie as well...

That Celebi is fucking shit.

Ended up with 2 x Diancie and 3 x Celebi as well as the other 2. :D

P_3
01-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Well the team looks properly shit now. Had a bit of a reshuffle, due to the rules, which saw Vim and Foe move to the box. ItalAussie the careful Oddish joins them, whilst new boys Mahow the naive Meowth and Mert the bashful Diglett make up the rest of our team.

Misty's Starmie was taken care of using team work. Smiffy put it to sleep while GS used Bite on it a few times. Misty used a Super Potion and the Starmie finally woke up hitting GS for a ton of damage. With his job done, GS was replaced by Smiffy who proceeded to get peppered by Water Pulse. A few Potions later I had to take a gamble in order to put Starmie to sleep again. Starmie used Swift, Smiffy was left on 1 HP and put the dratted cunt to sleep. In comes Giggles for a Magnitude 8 hit on Starmie to seal the win. Tense shit but we made it.

Giggles - Geodude - Lv 22 - Rock Throw, Magnitude, Tackle, Defense Curl
Smiffy - Butterfree - Lv21 - Confusion, Tackle, Harden, Sleep Powder
Mert - Diglett - Lv19 - Magnitude, Dig, Scratch, Growl
Baz - Rattata - Lv18 - Hyper Fang, Quick Attack, Tackle, Tail Whip
GS - Ekans - Lv18 - Poison Sting, Bite, Wrap, Leer
Mahow - Meowth - Lv16 - Scratch, Bite, Growl

Browning
01-03-2016, 11:34 AM
There's 3 other people I'm Nuzocking with. One has beaten the game already though he leaned hard on the Thunder wave/Wrap combo with a Dragonite. It was still impressive given Lorelei killed 4 of his mons leaving him to beat the other 4 with just Gyarados (who was only level 45 or so) and Dragonite but he pulled it off.

One has barely started. The other has beaten Misty but he caught a Diglett for Surge which died, leaving him with just Pidgeotto. He's so fucked. :D

P_3
01-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Can't he leave Surge for later? Just head to Dark Tunnel or whatever and pray for a Geodude.

Browning
01-03-2016, 11:59 AM
True enough. I won't suggest though. :D

P_3
01-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Smiffy met his demise aboard the S.S. Anne. Gary's Kadabra toyed with him (Kinesis and a lucky confusion status which just wouldn't go away) and finished him with ease. Baz pulled off a revenge kill and stayed in to chomp Gary's Raticate up. Foe has stepped in to fill the void left by Smiffy. RIP in pieces. :(

Browning
01-03-2016, 01:05 PM
So Baz murdered that Raticate? Bit of an over reaction. Now he's going to have to make a special trip to Lavender Town.

Browning
01-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Also, I think Nintendo are taking the piss with these events. A level 100 Mew that only knows Pound? Fuck off.

phonics
01-03-2016, 01:23 PM
I'm playing through Black for the first time, I'm just about to complete the second gym.

http://i.imgur.com/gDSttiy.png

Any tips? I'm absolutely lost when I can't just get Diglett and Pidgey to carry me to victory.

Browning
01-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Woobat is a pretty awful Pokemon (think Zubat) and Patrat is kind of this generations Rattata, so it'll blitz the early game but probably not be great longer term. You can probably also do better than Panpour for a water type. I really, really liked Blitzle but if it starts to lag behind in levels I wouldn't worry about it. Mine was really under levelled and then I found a Lucky Egg right outside a flying Gym. :D He came out as my top level by a mile because he gained like a million EXP there. If memory serves I think he also learns a useful Fire type move, meaning you might not need to bother with a fire type.

That said I don't remember Black/White too much... I really need to replay those. They were awesome.

phonics
01-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Patrat is in for being able to learn Cut. How have they still not fixed HMs counting as moves?

I have a Pidove which I assume is a rip off of Pidgey (Gust best skill evs)

I was given the Panpour for free, haven't run into another water pokemon.

Browning
01-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Yea you always get Panpour (or whatever monkey is weak to your starter) at the beginning of the game to beat the first gym.

Browning
01-03-2016, 03:00 PM

Pretty much decided none of the 3 who bought me to the dance (Pidgeotto, Gloom and Raitcate) were worth holding on to. I briefly bought Snorlax into the team but he levelled up too slow and I didn't see much point. He may return at some stage but right now we're rolling with:

Gengar- Level 46
Shellder- Level 43
Nidoking- Level 39 (Earthquake has replaced Poison Sting).
Hitmonlee- Level 34 (Double Kick, Meditate, Rolling Kick)

And that's about it. Pidgeotto would have beaten nothing in the E4 except a few fighting types (Gengar will eat them for breakfast) and my rivals Venusaur (same). Raticate was a decent mon but ultimately Snorlax would be more bulky and Nidoking is much stronger. Gloom I'm still considering keeping thanks to his higher level but again I don't see where he helps me. He could take our Rhydon but I'm not afraid of that at all.... and everything else he beats he's also weak too as all the water types are either part Ice or Part Flying.

That said rocking up with just 4 mons doesn't seem sensible but I can't think of anything else that is obtainable that would be worth the EXP.

In terms of "completion" I have 6 badges having beaten Blaine and Koga before Sabrina. That explains Shellder's rapid rise up the ranks. He's really really fucking good to be honest, I'm shocked I've never used one before.

phonics
01-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Blitzle is an absolute beast. Shockwave and Fire Charge means he owns everything that I don't already. He's now my highest level pokemon. Just got to the 3d city. Crazy how they change up the view style like that.

Byron
01-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Phonics. As soon as you can, get a Darmantian. Dat attack power.

Byron
01-03-2016, 06:13 PM
As an aside, found an old copy of Platinum I might dust off for a go. I'll just imagine me constantly punching Barry in the face to get me through the slowness of the early game.

phonics
01-03-2016, 06:14 PM
I just finished the Bug gym. Got to the sandstorm part and caught his previous evolution. This game seems a little bit easy outside of a certain part where I had a level 23 pokemon and 5 level 8s.

P_3
01-03-2016, 06:25 PM
Don't forget this is aimed at children. It isn't meant to be difficult.

Having said that, we've had a bit of a massacre in the last few hours. We've lost Foe and the recently recruited Yevrah the Mankey and Browning the Pidgeotto. Both of the new additions made it just two levels before being squished by the horde of trainers we faced between Vermillion and Cerulean. Giggles and Mert are now carrying the team with their Magnitudes whilst ItalAussie has been drafted back in to deal with any Water types. I'm starting to dread using GS and Mahow as they have nothing going for them, but at the same time I keep leaving them in for just one hit longer in the hope that they croak it and I can bring Vim back into the throng.

Browning
01-03-2016, 07:13 PM
I am deeply concerned about Sabrina's Alakazam, and can't decide the best strategy. The only Pokemon I have that isn't weak to it is Shellder so I could over level him but chances are he could still one shot me. Nidoking would no doubt take him out with 1 Earthquake but i'd need to be faster than him otherwise I'm screwed.

P_3
01-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Might be a good idea to bring Pidgeot for her. It should be able to take a hit, retaliate with Fly or something and then Quick Attack if it is still alive.

Browning
01-03-2016, 08:53 PM
You're probably right, I was considering him and Raticate. I've bought him back and am training him in Silph Co to get him to evolve into Pidgeot. I also have all the Sabrina JR trainers too so I should be able to get a decent level by then.... fingers crossed.

Baz
01-03-2016, 08:55 PM
I like how my rat bastard self doesn't get much of a mention, but secretly I sweep in and don proceedings. :cool:

P_3
01-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Yeah, you finally started to hit your stride, with your Hyper Fangs ruining things, and had shot up to mighty Lv29. Unfortunately when it came to facing the ghostly Marowak in Pokemon Tower you got annihilated by a critical hit from its Bonemerang. ItalAussie also croaked it against an exploding Koffing in the Rocket Hideout, I was starting to enjoy his/her Absorb against the likes of Geodude and Onix. With those two deaths, the acquisition of Taz the docile Gastly and the Poke Flute in my bag, the team looks like this:

Giggles - Lv33 Graveler - Rollout, Magnitude, Tackle, Defense Curl
Mert - Lv31 Dugtrio - Magnitude, Dig, Sand Tomb, Fury Swipes
Mahow - Lv29 Persian - Cut, Bite, Faint Attack, Growl
Taz - Lv28 Haunter - Shadow Punch, Night Shade, Confuse Ray, Curse
Vim - Lv24 Ivysaur - Razor Leaf, Tackle, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed
GS - Lv23 Arbok - Poison Sting, Bite, Wrap, Glare

Browning
01-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Sabrina was a piece of piss for Dave the Pidgeot, who was my first mon of the Nuzlocke and has never been out of the team (I stopped using him, but never PCed him thanks to Fly). What a heroic return to action.

A Mr Mime got a confusion in on him leaving him on 101/126HP but nothing else touched him. Alakazam outsped him and used Recover... the massive dickhead. Fly then did about 80% of his health and I chanced Quick Attack being strong enough and it was.

Gengar- 47
Shellder- 44
Nidoking- 42
Pidgeot- 41
Hitmonlee- 34

Wayne the Hitmonlee really is lagging behind but as Dave has proven, all you need is a run in the side.

P_3
01-03-2016, 10:15 PM
Pidgeot is a very reliable 'mon. You can always trust him to get the job done. :cool:

ItalAussie
02-03-2016, 01:18 AM
Well the team looks properly shit now. Had a bit of a reshuffle, due to the rules, which saw Vim and Foe move to the box. ItalAussie the careful Oddish joins them, whilst new boys Mahow the naive Meowth and Mert the bashful Diglett make up the rest of our team.
I always liked Oddish. Fact.

phonics
02-03-2016, 02:01 PM
Is everything in Nibasa City a giant waste of time? I just spent a load of time battling people on a train to earn a whole 3 battle points.

Browning
02-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Dave the Pidgeot. :cool:

Beat Giovanni and entered the Rival battle. All going swimmingly as Shellder made light work of Pidgeot, Rhyhorn and Growlithe with Gengar coming in briefly to get rid of Gyarados in between. Then in comes Alakazam. Level 50 which was 2 above my highest (Gengar) and 7 above Pidgeot. Still, he was my only hope, as discussed against Sabrina. I switched to him and got lucky as Alakazam used Recover..... but he then used Reflect and my Fly did fuck all. I was beginning to worry but the 2nd fly got a critical hit and killed him, and then 2 Flys was also enough to take out Venusaur despite his 10 level advantage. Whatever happens in the Elite 4, Dave is the star of this Nuzlocke.

Dan
03-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Regirock, Registeel & Regice are available with their hidden abilities (Sturdy, Light Metal & Ice Body respectively) for everyone that uses Pokemon Bank from Friday until October 31st.

Browning
03-03-2016, 11:54 PM
Are they level 100s that only know Tackle?

Byron
04-03-2016, 05:07 AM
No.

They know Splash.

Browning
04-03-2016, 08:48 AM
:D

I just don't get the point in the event legendaries they are giving us being level 100, meaning you can't use them in game at all (unless you want to just rape everyone) and on top of that they limit any use in competition (no idea if people actually use the games for that these days... but oh well) by giving them the worst move sets possible. I'd rather have had them at Level 5 than that.

P_3
06-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Pretty sure I'm fucked. I'm at the E4 and all I've got is Pen the Hitmonchan and Pleb the Golduck, with GS and Toby the Koffing in the box. Unless I train them both to level 70 or something (both are Lv54) and spend a fortune on Full Restores, I stand no chance. I have the blood of 16 TTH members on my cold, useless hands. :(

ItalAussie
06-03-2016, 11:06 AM

Is this Nuzlocke then?

P_3
06-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Yes. I'm pretty sure I've had no trouble Nuzlocking Fire Red before, but this time has been an utter massacre mainly due to my carelessness. I'll give you an example, at the end of Victory Road is a double battle against two trainers with Nidoking/queen. I had Samadini the Kadabra and Pleb facing off against them. "Pfft" I think, "Surf should suffice, so I'll use Thief with Samadini for a laugh" forgetting that the power of Surf is cut in half. Nidoqueen goes down to a lucky critical hit whilst Nidoking survives and gets hit by Thief. The fucker survives that and stabs his giant, erect Megahorn in Samadini's face and kills the poor bugger. I had Psychic available for fuck's sake. :cab:

Browning
06-03-2016, 06:09 PM

They won't need to be anything like Level 70 though, unless the levels have improved since Red. Red's Elite 4 ranged from 55-65 and due to the AI being shit you could probably get through it with the Pokemon you have. It would be hard buy doable.

When my brother beat it he ended up with a Level 45 Gyarados and a Level 56 Dragonite as his only survivors. Given they levelled up during the battles, they'd have been lower when he started.

As for myself... I'm currently grinding my team. Aiming to get everyone to level 50 except Hitmonlee at 45. Not sure I could suffer much more grinding that that.

Mike
06-03-2016, 06:22 PM
I work in the after school club at work where the older kids where moaning about the toys we have so I suggested 3DS's. Monday I got to set up 8 New 3DS XL's and open a load of games. The best part is I agreed to sort out what we got on the agreement that in the next school holidays I can take a 3DS and charger home to play on. This meant I ordered Pokemon Omega Ruby :D

How is that one?

Browning
06-03-2016, 06:29 PM
I didn't like it, but many others did. I found it piss easy, but that could be because I've played the originals a million times. If you haven't played the originals on the GBA then it should be very enjoyable.

Samadini
06-03-2016, 07:08 PM
My team is set now.

Gyarados
Magneton
Exeggcute
Onix
Mew

Just waiting to catch a Shellder, but I've got the super rod now, so should be caught in no time.

Mew is a cunt and I'd rather have Charizard in place of him but I forgot about the HM cuntery and Mew being able to learn all of them is pretty fucking handy. I don't battle with him now, he just sits at the bottom of my deck cutting trees down for me.

Pleb
06-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Golduck :cool:

Browning
06-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Beat it easily. Didn't quite grind as high as I wanted as Pidgeot was way too hard to train against all the Rock types in Victory road, so I entered with:
Gengar -54 (uses my rare candies at the last minute).
Cloyster- 50
Nidoking- 50
Pidgeot- 47
Hitmonlee- 45

Hitmonlee started off smashing Lorelei but was useless when Slowbro came in so Genger was sent out to cover that and Gengar then smashed Bruno. Nidoking made light work of Agatha and Cloyster smashed Lance. Cloyster also got a massive stroke of luck freezing Alakazam to take him out and after that it was plain sailing as we swapped to Gengar who cleaned house.

Browning
07-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Having done that I'm moving on to Yellow. I'm going to try and Nuzlocke without using anything that featured in by Red Nuzlocke, so that rules out:

Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot
Rattata/Raticate
Oddish/Gloom
Drowzee
Diglett
Gastly/Gengar (technically I never used Haunter, but due to his similarities to Gengar, even if I was lucky enough to find one first in Lavender I likely wouldn't bother).
Hitmonlee
Shellder/Cloyster
Nidorino/Nidoking (Never have Nidoran... but again won't be using it due to not being able to evolve).

Can't think of anyone else... but if I do I'll avoid those too. I technically did use a few other mons such as Weedle/Mankey/Snorlax but due to binning them off after 1-2 fights I'll keep them open as options as they won't make the game boring.

Should be fun.....

Obviously as I'm not using Pikachu or the 3 starters, I may need to catch something other than the first thing found if I don't have my first mon by Varidian Forest (due to keep finding Pidgey/Rattata) but we'll see.

P_3
07-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Having binned Pleb and Pen's magnificent adventure of not beating the Elite 4, I made a quick restart yesterday. Started with a Charmander. Caught and PCed the likes of Weedle and Rattata, I bagged a Nidoran Male before Mt. Moon. Oddish joined us for the Misty fight and a few hours later Vaporeon burst on to the scene. Best catch of the day proved to be Electabuzz who has now electrocuted the entirety of the routes near Cinnabar Island. Before starting Silph Co. the team looks like this:

Electabuzz - Lv50 - Thunderbolt, Psychic, Swift, Light Screen
Charizard - Lv44 - Flamethrower, Fly, Metal Claw, Strength
Nidoking - Lv43 - Dig, Thrash, Megahorn, Double Kick
Vileplume - Lv42 - Absorb, Acid, Sleep Powder, Moonlight
Vaporeon - Lv40 - Surf, Aurora Beam, Bite, Quick Attack

Piece of cake. :cool:

Browning
07-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Thanks to my restrictions I'll be taking on Brock with just a Spearow..... this could be over soon.

P_3
07-03-2016, 01:19 PM
At what point do the starters appear? I have no knowledge of Yellow apart from the fact you start with a Pikachu. What about 'mon like Oddish and Bellsprout, can you catch both? But yeah, with your restrictions you are not going to beat Brock with a Spearow.

Browning
07-03-2016, 01:47 PM
I did beat him but it took fucking ages. I Growled his Geodude until it couldn't really do much (seemingly it didn't have Defense Curl) and then just Pecked it to death. Onix was a little tougher as after I growled his Attack to the bottom he started using Screech, but thanks to the free Leers I got in every time he used Bide I was able to kill it. It cost me 2 potions but it wasn't too rough.

A much tougher battle was when I accidentally walked into a trainer when Spearow was only Level 3 who had a Level 6 Nidoran female and a level 6 Nidoran Male. I had to use 3 potions there (all I had) but I somehow got through it.

Route 3 only yielded a 2nd Spearow (I passed on it) and Mt Moon has given me a Geodude which is nice, but doesn't overly make getting through Mt Moon any easier.

I won't be using the starters but you get Bulbasaur in Cerulean City (before Misty), Charmander after Nugget Bridge (also before Misty if you like) and Squirtle in Vermillion city.

Browning
07-03-2016, 04:01 PM
This is taking the piss. Every single route yields Pidgey or fucking Rattata. :(

Pen
07-03-2016, 05:08 PM
Why have I been tagged in the Pokemon thread? Is P_3 trying to get some forum thing going on? I never liked Pokemon as they came out after I was a kid (well young enough to enjoy the,).

Browning
07-03-2016, 05:27 PM
He's just nicknaming his various Pokemon after TTH members. No idea why he felt the need to tag them though. :D

Browning
07-03-2016, 05:45 PM
I realised you can skip Misty but only if you go and see Bill... so I used Fearow the whole way up that route just in case it didn't let me skip her. It did so I went on in search of a 3rd mon but every route threw up Pidgey/Rattata except 1 which gave Oddish... so nothing I could use. Even the route after Vermillion yielded nothing, though with Drowzee also out I expected that. Instead I just went back and took on Misty with only Fearow but it was a piece of piss as he was 10 levels higher than Staryu and 7 above Starmie. With Misty swept aside I finally added a 3rd mon.... Magikarp out of desperation and then set about training him and Geodude on the SS Anne. After the rival battle which Geodude solo'ed he became Graveller so I turned him into Golem instantly and Golem battered Surge, leaving me with:

Fearow- 28
Golem- 26
Magikarp- 13

It could be worse, I guess. Not much.... but it could.

The trainer before Surge was a particularly brilliant battle. I switched from Karp to Golem and got hit be Sonic Boom and then Screech from his Voltorb before I dug under ground. He then used Self Destruct to kill himself and miss and his Magnemite came out to die instantly. :D

P_3
08-03-2016, 12:07 PM
They won't need to be anything like Level 70 though, unless the levels have improved since Red. Red's Elite 4 ranged from 55-65 and due to the AI being shit you could probably get through it with the Pokemon you have. It would be hard buy doable.

When my brother beat it he ended up with a Level 45 Gyarados and a Level 56 Dragonite as his only survivors. Given they levelled up during the battles, they'd have been lower when he started.

Fuck. Thought it would be a piece of cake with a team of Lv55 'mon. From the get go, Electabuzz couldn't OHKO anything but Cloyster against Lorelei. Machamp gave me so much trouble and caused me to sacrifice a Lv42 Vileplume to heal my team back to health. Got through Agatha without too much worry, but it all came undone against Lance. His Dragonite just OHKO'd my Vaporeon without a hitch. We regrouped and ground it down but the damage was done. Gary's Pidgeot was OK for Electabuzz but Rhydon was the killer. A choice of Charizard or Nidoking had me praying the Rock twat would try to set up or something, leaving me to get him with Nidoking's Surf, but no. The cunt used Earthquake and the rest is as they say is history.

FAILURE. :(

Browning
08-03-2016, 01:37 PM
How can you lose a Nuzlocke with Charizard. :D

That team looked immense on paper and I figured you'd have no problems. I certainly didn't but then I did design my team with 1 Elite 4 member in mind for each Pokemon (Hitmonlee, Gengar, Nidoking and Cloyster in that order) so....

What will you do now?

I've finally got myself a Gyarados and have added Nidoran Female but can't really be bothered with her as it's way too similar to Nidoran male. I'll let Gyarados rape the Rock Tunnel and then see what else I can add to the team. If it's nothing then I'll have to start using her.

P_3
08-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Want to move on to HG but I can't have the shadow of a failed Nuzlocke hanging over me. Might just have to go through it yet again, for the third time in just over a week. Try it with a Squirtle this time and make sure my levels are higher than they were this time. Shambles.

You can try and pick up a Dratini at the Game Corner. Or failing that an Abra. With the ability to evolve Kadabra, you will pretty much be good to go.

Browning
08-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Yea I'm torn between Abra and Jolteon but leaning towards Abra.

Browning
08-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Gone for Alakazam. Dratini isn't an option in Yellow and fuck that anyway, he has awful moves and I'm not training it to 55 to make it useful. :D

P_3
08-03-2016, 10:02 PM
Effort 3 didn't even get past Lt. Surge. His Double Team Raichu proved too much for my Diglett. :wall:

Dan
11-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Been slowly working my way through Yellow & I'm currently going through Silph Co. with a team of:

Pikachu, lv32 - Thunderbolt, Slam, Quick Attack, Thunder Wave
Butterfree, lv31 - Sleep Powder, Gust, Mega Drain, Psychic
Mew, lv31 - Fly, Mega Punch, Bubblebeam, Metronome :cool:
Nidoking, lv31 - Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Thrash, Double-Kick
Primeape, lv28 - Low Kick, Rage, Karate Chop, Rock Slide
Parasect, lv27 - Stun Spore, Cut, Scratch, Leech Life

---

Fairly okay team, and I've never used Parasect or Primate so they're interesting additions, but I forgot how shitty the move pools were in gen 1 :D

P_3
12-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Parasect is a pain to use. It is just too slow. Not a lot of fun training it when it takes a hit pretty much every time before OHKOing with its own moves. Something which makes using it for Nuzlocke very dangerous. The other 'mon are great. Being good at the slots. :cool:

I'm finally hitting some good form on FR. Have managed to put together a team consisting of Charizard, Jolteon, Poliwrath and Hypno. Love how the first three work well to counter the weaknesses of the others. Charizard ignores Jolteon's Ground weakness, Jolteon ignores Poliwrath's and Charizard's Electric weakness and Poliwrath ignores Charizard's Water weakness.

Browning
12-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Been slowly working my way through Yellow & I'm currently going through Silph Co. with a team of:

Pikachu, lv32 - Thunderbolt, Slam, Quick Attack, Thunder Wave
Butterfree, lv31 - Sleep Powder, Gust, Mega Drain, Psychic
Mew, lv31 - Fly, Mega Punch, Bubblebeam, Metronome :cool:
Nidoking, lv31 - Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Thrash, Double-Kick
Primeape, lv28 - Low Kick, Rage, Karate Chop, Rock Slide
Parasect, lv27 - Stun Spore, Cut, Scratch, Leech Life

---

Fairly okay team, and I've never used Parasect or Primate so they're interesting additions, but I forgot how shitty the move pools were in gen 1 :D

I reckon Preimeape is a decent mon to have in Gen 1. Hitmonlee is probably the best Fighter but you get him way too late and the period of the game where you get him is ALL Psychic/Poison types making him a pain in the arse to train, but a good fighter is the best bet for Lorelei, who is probably the hardest of the Elite 4. Not least of all because if you use a Fighting type she'll often use her Super Effective moves.... Rest and Agility.

I've never really used Parasect either, but I reckon it'll be good.

Not made much progress on my own Yellow Nuzlocke. I'm currently letting Alakazam ruin the Game corner to catch up in levels.

On a side note me and my brother have agreed to blind Nuzlocke Sun and Moon when they come out and have randomly determined our starters. We both wanted Water but I got Grass and he got Fire. Let's see how that works out. (Obviously, we may have to re-do it if they do something ground breaking and have OTHER OPTIONS). God I hope they do.

P_3
12-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Well I've gone and done it. I've beat the Elite 4. But it was tough. Very tough. Like I said before I don't remember it being so difficult. As expected there was a casualty. I lost the Poliwrath in exactly the same place as Vaporeon, against Lance's Dragonite. The fucker survived on 0.5 HP after an Ice Beam and used Wing Attack for a KO. Jolteon finished him off. The fight against Gary was as predicted awful. With no Water types I feared Rhydon would walk all over me like in the previous attempt. Thankfully Hypno pulled off the sweep of a century as he came in to an Earthquake, used Swagger to confuse the rock twat and dodged a Rock Tomb from it before finishing it in style with Psychic. Jolteon and Charizard cleaned up the rest, with Blastoise posing a considerably frustrating risk with its Hydro Pump, to secure a memorable victory. Let that be a lesson for you kids, always carry two Water type Pokemon. Because not carrying two, is too much trouble to be worth it.

HG here I come.

Dan
13-03-2016, 02:56 PM
I've given Parasect SD, and it learns Spore at 30 (currently 29), so it'll be pretty good to just put stuff to sleep then set up, even if it does only have Cut & Leech Life to deal any damage with.

Quite tempted to give one of the later games another run through now, maybe even FR/LG, depending on how different the movesets are, and whether I can actually find it or not.

---

Well done (at last) P3 :fun:

Pleb
17-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Managed to find my DS's :cool:

I have X, Omega Ruby, Soul Silver, Emerald and Leaf Green (somewhere). I'm tempted to do a nuzlocke for Soul Silver.

Samadini
17-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Nearly done with yellow and wanted to do HG or SS next, having never actually played through them before, but they're 50 fucking quid.

I know I can emulate it, but being able to play on my 2ds is what's made me play through yellow.

Going to save up for the cunt.

Pleb
17-03-2016, 07:11 PM
I found Platinum but for the love of god can't find Black 2 and White :panda:

Platinum might be a good shout. X could be a good idea considering Sun/Moon is nearly out this year.

Mike
18-03-2016, 06:45 PM
I work in the after school club at work where the older kids where moaning about the toys we have so I suggested 3DS's. Monday I got to set up 8 New 3DS XL's and open a load of games. The best part is I agreed to sort out what we got on the agreement that in the next school holidays I can take a 3DS and charger home to play on. This meant I ordered Pokemon Omega Ruby :D

How is that one?

Started playing this in work tonight. Getting paid to play games felt good. Took it home for the weekend :D
https://i.imgur.com/ekJ25rE.png

Browning
18-03-2016, 07:37 PM
I hope you picked Torchic.

Mike
18-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Leaf for life.

Browning
18-03-2016, 09:25 PM
I picked up Pokken tournament today. It's pretty cool. A combination of Pokemon and Tekken was something I couldn't pass up.

Pleb
19-03-2016, 12:06 AM
Torchic :cool:

Pleb
19-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Finally decided to do a nuzlocke for Soul Silver. Bog standard rules apply but I'm setting a level limit on the gym leader's/Elite Four Champions highest level pokemon where if I go over that level (let's say Lance's Dragonite's level 50) I must kill off the highest level pokemon from my squad.

I'm fucked :D

Mike
19-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Destroyed the first gym leader. :D

Mike
20-03-2016, 04:54 PM
And the second.

Browning
21-03-2016, 03:11 PM
I fucking love Pikachu Libre in Pokken. He can do a full on Stone Cold Stunner and his finisher is a Shooting Star Press (which he does a sort of YES chant before doing it). I'm sure there are plenty of other moves I've not found yet.

Mike
21-03-2016, 10:05 PM
I gave the 3DS back. Warned the kids in work that if anyone deletes my Pokemon save that they'll be in a world of hurt.

Pleb
22-03-2016, 12:31 AM
Sprout Tower :panda:

The fucking level 10 Hoothoot wiped out my squad :nono:

Browning
22-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Sprout Tower really annoyed me the first time I did it in HG/SS due to the fact they split moves into Physical and Special. Back in the day when EVERY grass move was Special you could clear it with a Bellsprout by using Growth a few times and then Vine Whipping them to death. Obviously I wasn't thinking about the changes and tried that again. 3-4 Growths and you still do one damage. :D

Pleb
23-03-2016, 11:55 PM
I've lost 4 pokemons in my second run at Sprout Tower :moop:

I've only got a Totodile and a Dunsparce to face Faulkner :face:

P_3
24-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Scrap that level rule. It just makes things ridiculously difficult.

Pleb
24-03-2016, 08:36 PM
It was one of those optional ruling that the BulbasaurWiki suggested on their nuzlocke page so I thought it would be so lol to give it a go :D

I still fucked up though :moop: The third attempt will be a bit different though :baz:

Browning
24-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Not sure the level rule is that prohibiting as normally I end up facing Gym leaders with lower level pokemon anyway. Totodile should cruise past Faulkner too.

Pleb
24-03-2016, 09:46 PM
True but it was lv10 and at half health. The fucking Piggeotto OHKO me with Gust :panda:

Browning
24-03-2016, 10:32 PM
You didn't heal before the Gym?

Pleb
25-03-2016, 10:30 PM
I might of forgotten to heal before the Gym :D

Samadini
26-03-2016, 07:41 AM
Anyone willing to loan me a copy of HG or SS? Will return in the post and transfer a tenner as soon as I've finished.

It's selling for 70 quid now so I've got no hope.

Samadini
26-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Fuck it, gone for Alpha Sapphire instead. Only 23 quid.
http://www.base.com/buy/product/pok-mon-alpha-sapphire-nintendo-3ds/dgc-pokemonas3ds.htm?awc=2694_1459027072_ce4913f583b0c 9f0f11d11579e9b243f

Dan
26-03-2016, 11:10 PM
I'm hardly getting any time to play Yellow, since i mainly play at work, and it's been busy as fuck lately. Beaten Koga & Sabrina but I've just been bumming around in the Safari Zone the last few times I've picked it up, so I've not really made much progress beyond that. Team is still the same six (Pikachu, Mew, Nidoking, Butterfree, Parasect & Primeape), but I'm still open on replacing the mons in the last two, possibly even three, of those spots if I can find anything good. Hitmonchan over Primeape is an option just for the elemental punches, but I'm not really sure either way at the minute.

Thinking of starting a Blaze Black game at home though. Anyone played it? I'm sure somebody did it on the old board, but I can't remember who. For that matter, has anyone played any other ROM's that are worth looking at? Stuff like Flora Sky & Light Platinum are meant to be right up there, but there are probably loads of others worth playing too.

---

Alpha Sapphire is probably going to be a fuckload more enjoyable than HG/SS anyway Sama.

Browning
26-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Do not get Hitmonchan whatever you do. He's royally shit in Gen 1.

Dan
27-03-2016, 01:24 AM
Everything's royally shit in Gen 1 though.

Browning
27-03-2016, 01:29 AM
Yea but Hitmonchan has no Special and all the elemental punches are special.... so.... yea.

Dan
27-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Good point :D

Mike
27-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Watched a guy on a train take on the Elite 4 on Emerald yesterday. He failed.

Browning
31-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Jirachi is live now.

Pleb
31-03-2016, 07:46 PM
So I started my third nuzlocke SoulSilver run a few days ago at night and caught three Hoothoot's in a row :moop: I might of fucked up the ID lottery thing by picking Cyndiquil as my starter (because my ID number ended in a 9 so I should of chose Totodile :D :face:) but whatever. Got a Geodude at the Dark Cave which helped massively against Faulkner and a Gastly at the Sprout Tower. Went to route 32 after defeating the gym only to hit the first patch of grass to catch a Ekans which I'm not sure if that's a good Pokemon to keep in the long term :uhoh:. Togepi should be on it's way too so I got a hell of lot of training to do by the time I reach Azalea Town.

No dupes clause used at all in case anyone's wondering. I got rid of the level's restrictions by the way :D

P_3
31-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Geodude will get you through the next two gyms and Togepi will do a great job on the fourth. A nice water type and a Magnemite will see you the rest of the way. Now watch as the RNGods give you a Goldeen and Farfetch'd. :uhoh:

Pleb
04-04-2016, 09:33 PM
I lost a lv7 Evans to a lv6 Pidgey in a trainer battle thinking poisoning the cunt would work. It didn't :moop:

Cue me catching a Zubat in the Union Cave :nono:

P_3
04-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Stick with it long enough and you'll have a very solid 'mon.

ItalAussie
06-04-2016, 11:18 PM
I kind of want to play a Pokemon with Gold/Silver-level tech, but with an entirely new set of 251 Pokemon to discover and learn about along the way. Maybe even a couple of new types to figure out.

Browning
07-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Hoopa is now live alongside Jirachi. Get it while you can.

Browning
09-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Started a new Y Nuzlocke after giving up on it many times due to getting bored after about 2 gyms. I'm determined to see it through this time. I failed the first one quickly when the first Gym Leader beat my Pidgey (I got her to 1HP so figured Quick Attack would do it... but she healed and I died to infestation) and left me with just Burmy who only knew Protect..... fun.

2nd time I've got past her after realizing that Pidgey is a guaranteed encounter so I ignored it. I ended up with that Caterpie rip off, whatever it's called instead and picked up Fletchling on the next route. They were joined by Bunnelby and Farfetched (won't use him) before the gym and Combee (again won't use) after it in the team, but so far only Fletchling seems to be up to much. He smashed the gym where Pidgey failed despite being the same level.

P_3
09-04-2016, 09:13 PM
I'm breezing through the early stages of Omega Ruby with the shittest team imaginable. Combusken is ok but Wingull, Dustox, Minun, Cosplay Pikachu and a shiny Zigzagoon I bumped into, don't fill me with much confidence.

Dan
09-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Lots of new games :cool: I've been tempted to start Y again myself, but instead I've just started playing Blaze Black.

Picked Oshawott, since Shell Smash Samurott sounds amazing, and, despite only just hitting the first main city, I've already been beaten twice by Cheren's fucking Snivy. The first time it crit me twice in a row, and the second I forgot it already had Contrary, growled it & then watched it sweep my entire team :face:

Browning
10-04-2016, 12:44 PM
I just trolled the fuck out of the Double Furfrou fight, which I've always struggled with for some reason. I took just Farfetched (fodder) and my newly captured Honedge. Farfetched predictably died in one shot, but they couldn't hit Honedge. The fight took forever as they quickly lowered my attack to zero, but once one of them died I was able to resurrect my attack using Swords Dance and eventually kill the other one. Honedge. :cool:

phonics
10-04-2016, 01:13 PM
I got to a Gym with elevators, got to the final guy, smashed his first pokemon and then he has an Excadrill which one hits every single pokemon I have with any skill he uses.

I stopped playing.

Browning
10-04-2016, 11:42 PM
I've just bagged a Hawlucha who surely has to come into my team, but I can't decide who to drop. Currently have Steelix, Meditite, Fletchinder, Roselia, Honedge and Vivillon at all roughly the same level. A lot of repeated types, but that can't be helped so far. Meditite at this point is basically a Psychic type instead of a Fighter, and that coupled with the fact he can Mega-Evolve is making me tempted to keep him, despite him being the obvious candidate to drop. I don't like Steelix so far and with Honedge being there I'm tempted to boot him, but heading to a Rock Gym with 3 fliers is a no go. Fletchinder desperately needs some new moves, Peck and Ember aren't rally cutting it. The only 2 who are definitely safe are Roselia and Vivillon, both are dons.

P_3
10-04-2016, 11:54 PM
Very nice team. Steelix and Honedge should do the job against the Rock gym, after which Steelix can do one. Quite likely Vivillon will then make way for a Water type. The rest are great.

Browning
11-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Meditite died due to me getting careless when trying to grind it's level up. It's a bit annoying but his frustratingly shit move set means I won't miss him too much.

Gym 2 was a piece of piss only made slightly harder by the T-Rex guy getting 3 flinches in a row with Bite.... but a Super Potion healed that easily and it died to 2 Bulldozes after the Ice guy had died to 1. Team at this stage:

Steelix- Level 26 (Smack Down, Bulldoze, Dragon Breath, Gyro Ball)
Roselia- Level 25 (Growth, Venoshock, Giga Drain, Magical Leaf)
Vivillon- Level 25 (Struggle Bug, Psybeam, Draining Kiss, Stun Spore)
Honedge- Level 25 (Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw)
Fletchinder- Level 24 (Peck, Ember, Quick Attack, Agility)
Hawlucha- Level 22 (Wing Attack, Roost, Aerial Ace, Encore)

The last 2 are frustrating because of their poor move sets. Hawlucha seemingly forgot Karate Chop before I caught him. It seems obvious though that both will improve. I don't get Gyro Ball. Steelix is slow as fuck yet it always does fuck all damage. Granted Rock Types are slow too but it's Super Effective so you'd expect something.... but no.

Vivillon learning Draining Kiss makes him very interesting considering the amount of Dark types I come across.

Sam
11-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Looking to get one of the newer generations, I've not actually physically owned a Pokémon game since Ruby way back on my old GBA, neither have I owned a console since then, however.

Are a 2DS and a 3DS the same thing? Would these be the likely format for the Sun/Moon that is scheduled for release? I've got a limited budget, which is the recommended game to buy, I was thinking Omega Ruby for nostalgia, is it good?

Browning
11-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Personally I didn't like Omega Ruby as it felt way way too easy. I would recommend X or Y over it.

Yea a 3DS and 2DS are the same and Sun/Moon will be on both.

Sam
11-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Personally I didn't like Omega Ruby as it felt way way too easy. I would recommend X or Y over it.

Yea a 3DS and 2DS are the same and Sun/Moon will be on both.

Which is recommended? 3D only has a 3D upgrade yes?

I can't remember how easy/hard it was truth be told, was fun though.

Browning
11-04-2016, 03:31 PM
I'm fairly sure the remake is easier than the original, at least until the "post game".

The "New 3DS" has more processing power so it runs faster and there's a handful of exclusive games that won't play on 3DS or 2DS but these are mainly upcoming downloadable titles. The 2DS and 3DS are the same except for 3D and the 3DS folds up making it easier to carry around.

Browning
11-04-2016, 10:58 PM
A stupid mistake in a 2 on 2 battle cost me Vivillon, my favorite mon. :( I was sure I could OHKO both Combee and Vespiquen so attacked them both. In hindsight Combee is so shit I should have attacked Vespiquen twice... but I didn't fucking expect it to have a rock move.

He was briefly replaced by Solosis, but he was underlevelled and died straight away when we ran into an Absol who used Pursuit.

Guess we carry on with 5 for now.

Pleb
11-04-2016, 11:16 PM
Pleb's SoulSilver Three Hoothoot's Nuzlocke Squad

Slowpoke lv15
Quilava lv15
Hoothoot (:baz:) lv10
Togepi lv14
Rattata lv11
Hoppip lv12

So I'm about to face Bugsy after clearing the gym full of trainers and I think I'm fucked :uhoh: The nuzlocke gods gave me a fucking Rattata and a Hoppip in Union Cave and Route 33 :nono:

More training might be needed I feel...

P_3
12-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Slowpoke. :drool:

Omega Ruby's team has picked up. Blaziken, Pelipper and Linoone are now joined by Azumarill, Sandslash and Lileep. Enjoyed fighting Norman's Slakings using Pelipper who conveniently learned Protect a level or two ago. :cool:

Browning
12-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Roselia is gone in the dumbest of ways. A fucking Absol and I got careless knowing I was faster and could kill it..... Critical Quick Attack. Fuck sake.

Team is horribly one dimensional now. Just nothing to get excited about in it really. 2 steel types, one of which I never wanted.... fun. At least Hawlucha is cool.

P_3
12-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Your team is becoming a bit too physical. Need to get yourself a Water type.

Browning
12-04-2016, 10:45 AM
I agree, but I've not found anything yet, except a hoard of Wingull at Level 12 just now. I like Wingull but I don't want another bird or something 20 levels behind my team. Seemingly I get the Good Rod in the next town so hopefully that'll help.

I decided to let Hawlucha solo the Fighting Gym. Honedge probably could have done it too but all I needed was one Pokemon that could "identify" him and he'd be in trouble. The smaller trainers were no issue. I panicked a little when her Machoke used Rock Tomb while I was up in the air thanks to Bounce and then I came down and missed. Thankfully he used Leer on the turn when he could hit me and Bounce took him out 2 turns later. I couldn't risk Bounce missing again against Hawlucha in case it Aerial Aced me.... so I went for Aerial Ace of my own, was faster, and she wasted her turn using Hone Claws to die to another Ace. Easy.

Hawlucha- Level 33 (Bounce, Aerial Ace, Flying Press, Roost)
Sttelix- Level 33 (Smack Down, Dig, Slam, Gyro Ball)
Fletchinder- Level 31 (Peck, Ember, Razor Wind, Roost)
Honedge- Level 31 (Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Slash, Shadow Claw)

As you say, way, way too physical.

Browning
12-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Well, P_3 has got his wish, even if I didn't get mine.

http://pldh.net/media/dreamworld/072.png

Sam
12-04-2016, 02:00 PM
This is how long it's been since I owned a handheld pokemon game, but is it still generally one save per copy, or can I now save multiple run throughs?

Browning
12-04-2016, 02:02 PM
One per copy. It's slightly less annoying now thanks to Poke Bank, which is essentially an online "cloud" where you can move all your pokemon into it and then start over and get them again, or move them to another game etc.

Sam
12-04-2016, 02:35 PM
One per copy. It's slightly less annoying now thanks to Poke Bank, which is essentially an online "cloud" where you can move all your pokemon into it and then start over and get them again, or move them to another game etc.

Is that a free service or something I need to pay for?

Browning
12-04-2016, 02:40 PM
It's Ł5 per year.

Browning
12-04-2016, 03:36 PM
4th Gym down. Was tougher than I anticipated once I found out it was Grass type (I genuinely don't remember the gyms.) I figured despite the fact he's been shit so far due to poor moves, Fletchinder would eat them for breakfast especially with his 4 x resistance to grass. I gave him the Lucky Egg and let him go to work. It worked out fine until he came up against Gogoat and his Take Down which was doing way too much damage. He didn't die though and in went Honedge who wouldn't be hit by Take Down. Gogoat resorted to Grass Knot which wasn't doing anything so I took the chance to max out his attack with Swords Dance and then Aerial Aced his way to victory.

Talonflame- Level 37 (Peck, Ember, Razor Wind, Roost)- These seriously need to improve.
Hawlucha- Level 36 (Bounce, Roost, Power-Up Punch, Flying Press)- Got rid of Aerial Ace as he didn't need 3 flying moves. Not convinced by Power Up Punch but it'll do for now.
Steelix- Level 35 (Rock Slide, Dig, Slam, Gyro Ball)- Pretty nice moves but would prefer Iron Tail or something over that shitty Ball move.
Tentacruel- Level 34 (Toxic Spikes, Surf, Wrap, Venoshock)- 2 nice moves and 2 that are a bit of a waste of time. Not bad for the newcomer though.
Honedge- Level 34 (Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Slash, Shadow Claw).

Browning
12-04-2016, 04:33 PM
These games are so broken. As much as it's not an issue, the amount of flinching you get on moves like Bite and Paralysis on moves like Body Slam feels completely broken. It almost always happens.

P_3
12-04-2016, 04:42 PM
I swear by Power-Up-Punch. Anyone who can use it, I teach it to.

Pleb
12-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Well that was interesting. My cartridge froze soon after I beat Bugsy so I had to redo it again a few times :cab:

Hopefully I won't do that again. It was close though as Scyther is a massive cunt. Geodude (yes I forgot I had a Geodude in my PC box so I used him :D) nearly one shot it with Rock Throw. I was hoping it would use U-Turn on me but it used Focus Energy twice instead which was a bit weird. My rival and Whitney is next so hopefully no more scares please. This is my updated squad...:

Geodude (lv16) Tackle, Magnitude, Rock Throw, Rock Polish
Slowpoke (lv15) Curse, Yawn, Confusion, Water Gun
Togepi (lv14) Sweet Kiss, Charm, Extrasensory, Metronome
Quilava (lv15) Tackle, Leer, Quick Attack. Ember
Hoppip (lv12) Tackle, PoisonPowder, Bullet Seed, Tail Whip

Looks pretty solid.

Browning
12-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Grinding is so long in certain places, it almost makes me wish I didn't hate the new EXP share system so bad. But I refuse to use it in this or any other game. That combined with not allowing myself any starters/gifts/guaranteed encounters has made this all the more challenging.

Here comes Gym 5... whatever it is.

Well that was a piece of piss. Just gave Steelix the Lucky Egg and let him run riot. Really, I had very little choice. 3 of my other mons are weak to Electric and I don't really trust Doublade all that much still. There was a heart in the mouth moment when Heliolisk hit a super effective GRASS KNOT but we took it on the chin.

Steelix- Level 46 (Stone Edge, Dig, Crunch, Iron Tail) - What a boss.
Talonflame- Level 39 (Fly, Flame Charge, Razor Wind, Roost)- Why did I only notice I had Fly after the Grass gym?
Hawlucha- Level 39 (Bounce, Roost, Power-Up Punch, Flying Press)
Tentacruel- Level 39 (Toxic Spikes, Surf, Poison Jab, Venoshock)- Needs more variety.
Doublade- Level 39 (Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Night Slash, Shadow Claw).

Gym 6 fell with pretty much that same team being the case, except Tentacruel reached Level 42 and Steelix may have gained one level. I tried to let Tentacruel do it all so we wouldn't rely on Steelix too heavily (Doublade still has no Steel moves...) but her team put a spanner in the works. First Mawhile which wasn't a threat but I didn't feel like giving it 3 turns to attack me in order to set up Toxic Spikes which I had done against the other trainers (I assumed it would be 3 turns as 1 to put the Spikes down and then 2 to kill it as I doubted I could one shot it with surf). Instead I killed it with Surf in 2 turns but she then bought out Mr Mime which forced me to switch to Steelix. Doublade probably could have taken it with Shadow Claw but I wasn't risking it. Mr Mime was sent packing and I just left Steelix in to deal with Sylveon too. Piece of piss for this team, but I need to do some grinding before I progress as some of the Mons are too low levels. I'd like to get them all to around level 43 (same as Tentacruel) before we continue.

Browning
13-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Whilst grinding I was looking up some other Y Nuzlocke's on Youtube just out of interest to see how they compared to mine. Was never going to watch beyond where I'm up to. One I found (that was recommended somewhere) has been a decent watch. He's struggled with double battles like me and in fact the Machoke/Mr Mime double battle killed his entire team except his Charmeleon. He's clinging on thanks to Charizard (which is why I refuse to use starters, they are too good) but I doubt he makes it.

I then started watching another (I'm just skimming through them to the bits I want to see, while grinding my team) but seriously question the point of what he's doing. Allowed yourself the starter is one thing... but allowing yourself BOTH starters plus an event Torchic, the EXP share, and perhaps worst of all, the fucking shift battle style? Way to kill any challenge whatsoever.

Edit- Just had 4 turns in a row of "Miltank used Milk Drink... it's health is already full. Doublade is paralyzed and couldn't move". Fucking hell.

Sam
13-04-2016, 11:44 AM
EXP share system? That sounds pretty nifty for levelling up multiple mons? Is it in the game from the off I assume or? Would it be present in Omega Ruby (I am leaning towards this as I fancy some nostalgia, and it seems to have a decent 'post game'?)

Always remember the hours I'd spend grinding up in Victory Road on red to get everything ready for Elite Four.

Browning
13-04-2016, 11:53 AM
EXP share used to be an item that one Pokemon could hold. You could give it to a weak Pokemon and that Pokemon would get 50% of the experience from the battle while the Pokemon that actually battled would also get 50%. That system worked find and should never have been touched.

But now they've changed it to an item that's either on or off. If it's on then the Pokemon you use gets 50% and ALL YOUR OTHER POKEMON also get 50% (that's 50% EACH, not divided between them). In effect it increases the amount of EXP given drastically, and makes it way, way too easy to keep your Pokemon leveled up. It seriously breaks the game and should be avoided at all costs.

Edit- It's not in the game straight away but you normally obtain it early on. And yea, it is in Omega Ruby.

Sam
13-04-2016, 12:01 PM
EXP share used to be an item that one Pokemon could hold. You could give it to a weak Pokemon and that Pokemon would get 50% of the experience from the battle while the Pokemon that actually battled would also get 50%. That system worked find and should never have been touched.

But now they've changed it to an item that's either on or off. If it's on then the Pokemon you use gets 50% and ALL YOUR OTHER POKEMON also get 50% (that's 50% EACH, not divided between them). In effect it increases the amount of EXP given drastically, and makes it way, way too easy to keep your Pokemon leveled up. It seriously breaks the game and should be avoided at all costs.

Edit- It's not in the game straight away but you normally obtain it early on. And yea, it is in Omega Ruby.

I can see the logic for first timers if I am honest. Though I did use to enjoy the old exp share as the switch in/switch out method was a right royal pain in the end, especially when trying to power level stubborn stuff like getting the Eevee evolution that would only evolve in the dark.

Reading through, why is there a lot of dislike towards the Gold/Silver remakes? The original was bloody brilliant.

Browning
13-04-2016, 12:04 PM
It wasn't, that's just nostalgia. TWO REGIONS we all thought. It's only when you go back now you realise how horribly broken it was.

Long story short.... Johto is fine but easy. The Elite 4 can be beaten with like Level 40s, which isn't really right, but it's fine.... ish.

Kanto though is a fucking wreck. Varidian forest.... gone. Mount Moon.... gone. Power Plant.... gone. It's a shell of what it was. Plus you rock up there with your level 40-50 Pokemon and everything you find in the wild is around Level 10, meaning it's never going to be part of your team, ever, and the Gym Leaders are all roughly the same level as each other, so you don't need to train at all to beat the lot of them.

Sam
13-04-2016, 01:09 PM
It wasn't, that's just nostalgia. TWO REGIONS we all thought. It's only when you go back now you realise how horribly broken it was.

Long story short.... Johto is fine but easy. The Elite 4 can be beaten with like Level 40s, which isn't really right, but it's fine.... ish.

Kanto though is a fucking wreck. Varidian forest.... gone. Mount Moon.... gone. Power Plant.... gone. It's a shell of what it was. Plus you rock up there with your level 40-50 Pokemon and everything you find in the wild is around Level 10, meaning it's never going to be part of your team, ever, and the Gym Leaders are all roughly the same level as each other, so you don't need to train at all to beat the lot of them.

True true, could well be rose tinted glasses, that and because you thought the game was over, but, it wasn't. My twelve year old self was so hyped after beating Elite Four finding that I could go all the way back to Kanto and do another bit of the game, one would guess that it was the cartridge size limitations that meant those places were left out.