PDA

View Full Version : Your interests

Spikey M
17-11-2016, 02:22 PM
I know we all know each other pretty well, and our interests are the main things we discuss on here. I mean you can't think of Jimmy without politics, DS without documentaries, Ital without science or Bruhnaldo without paedophilia, but who knows what interests remain hidden. Mahow must be into some seriously dark shit.

What stuff do you enjoy that doesn't get much time here?

7om
17-11-2016, 02:43 PM
I just recently started reading the Harry Potter novels again :gs:

Jimmy Floyd
17-11-2016, 03:09 PM
I have a hinterland and a half compared to most of the people I know who spend all their free time watching Celebrity Love Island. Four languages (which I increasingly try and keep up although none are fluent, French/Spanish are reasonable), two instruments (piano ok, guitar terrible), and I read everything about everything. Even a bit of fiction these days. And I write sometimes.

Cricket is the main one though. I am now director of cricket at my club. That's, like, a thousand hours a year.

Boydy
17-11-2016, 03:25 PM
I have a hinterland and a half compared to most of the people I know who spend all their free time watching Celebrity Love Island. Four languages (which I increasingly try and keep up although none are fluent, French/Spanish are reasonable), two instruments (piano ok, guitar terrible), and I read everything about everything. Even a bit of fiction these days. And I write sometimes.

Cricket is the main one though. I am now director of cricket at my club. That's, like, a thousand hours a year.

I remember you saying before you were about halfway through writing a novel. Did you finish it?

Lewis
17-11-2016, 03:28 PM
It doesn't get much of an airing here, but I could talk about cars all day. I also moderate camgirl chat rooms.

Jimmy Floyd
17-11-2016, 03:33 PM
I remember you saying before you were about halfway through writing a novel. Did you finish it?

Not finish it in the sense of it being complete, but it does have 100,000 words including a beginning and end. It's absolute rank shite and will never venture out of my hard drive but the process of actually doing it over a few months was immensely satisfying.

Offshore Toon
17-11-2016, 03:36 PM
I like being out and about and chatting absolute nonsense, preferably with somebody that shares my sense of humour, but I'm more than happy to just conduct it internally or under my breath if needs be. There really is no replacement for being outside, though. Going for a walk or people watching just seems to get my brain going, but so many people these days can't be arsed to get up and do something. I can't understand people that want to stay indoors and watch shit American comedies and spend their time flicking through Facebook.

phonics
17-11-2016, 03:37 PM
I'm way, way too much of a nerd about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Most history can get fucked but I think impending nuclear doom might be my kink.

Offshore Toon
17-11-2016, 03:44 PM
I've started reading the conspiracy subreddit recently. I think it was the Hillary Clinton stuff that took me there, and since then I've realised how much fun it is watching people come up with and 'prove' these theories. At the same time I've realised that the 'conspiracy nut' tag does work at distracting people from actual conspiracies that may arise, and also that sites like Facebook and Reddit are being fully attacked by bots with a political agenda to push. It backs up my long-standing thought that ultimately we can't be 100% sure of anything so its best not to take any real stand of conviction. People are always going to convince themselves of what they want to believe, whether its as big as Hillary Clinton being a satanic paedophile or as small as telling yourself you'll do it tomorrow.

Jimmy Floyd
17-11-2016, 03:50 PM
The conspiracy crew are basically the boy that cried wolf. Every 100 times, one will come off like Jimmy Savile and they'll say we all should have listened. Well, maybe we would if you hadn't spent the last 25 years claiming that Prince Michael of Kent is a lizard in disguise.

Sir Andy Mahowry
17-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Fuck you Spikey.

Offshore Toon
17-11-2016, 04:01 PM
The conspiracy crew are basically the boy that cried wolf. Every 100 times, one will come off like Jimmy Savile and they'll say we all should have listened. Well, maybe we would if you hadn't spent the last 25 years claiming that Prince Michael of Kent is a lizard in disguise.
As with the media these days, you just need to have a bit of common sense. There's a big thing at the moment to do with pizza restaurants and paedophilia which has risen from the ashes of Hillary's email scandal. Whilst parts of it do come across as very strange, you have other parts where they're stretching incredibly far. The problem with a project that anybody can take part in is that most people are stupid.

phonics
17-11-2016, 04:23 PM
You're going to have to fill me in on the Pizza side of things. Fucking love Pizza. Can I have that as an interest? Pizza? I'd eat it every day if people wouldn't call me a shambles for it.

I had one for dinner last night and a Croque Monsieur today, that's basically a Pizza. Fucking love Pizza.

Offshore Toon
17-11-2016, 04:26 PM
We found a place in London that does 20" pizza with any toppings for £13.99. I won't go anywhere else now.

7om
17-11-2016, 04:27 PM
The trick with pizza is to eat it cold. I'll cook one in the evening, stick it in the fridge overnight and eat it the next day. Call me a brummie scumbag, no fucks given.

randomlegend
17-11-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm quite into chocolate; both in terms of the stuff itself (think wine nerd cunt) and making chocolates. Got some on the go at the moment which should be finished over the weekend. It's challenging to do but really satisfying when it comes out well.

Giggles
17-11-2016, 05:14 PM
I've a job instead.

Boydy
17-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Not finish it in the sense of it being complete, but it does have 100,000 words including a beginning and end. It's absolute rank shite and will never venture out of my hard drive but the process of actually doing it over a few months was immensely satisfying.
What's it about?

Pepe
17-11-2016, 05:33 PM
I think you already know all of mine:

Cycling
Classical guitar
Fostering cats

That's basically it. I used to be into cars/motorcycles and football, but not anymore.

P_3
17-11-2016, 06:09 PM
I think you already know all of mine:

Cycling
Classical guitar
Fostering cats

That's basically it. I used to be into cars/motorcycles and football, but not anymore.
I swear you were into model airplanes? Unless, you're not anymore.

Pepe
17-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Oh yes, forgot those. Haven't used them in a while. I crashed a couple of nice ones and I haven't been arsed to fix the one I still have (the other I have no idea where it landed.) Might take some of the others out this weekend.

Danny
17-11-2016, 06:23 PM
What's it about?

Cricket version of this

https://www.balls.ie/football/steve-bruce-novel/293169

Disco
17-11-2016, 06:39 PM
I like painting, not landscapes or old men with their willies out but wargaming models. Couldn't give a hoot about playing actual games with them but I bloody love collecting and painting them. Add it to the gaming and motorsport and it's not a bad nerd/tragic man-child triple crown.

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 06:55 PM
I like painting, not landscapes or old men with their willies out but wargaming models. Couldn't give a hoot about playing actual games with them but I bloody love collecting and painting them. Add it to the gaming and motorsport and it's not a bad nerd/tragic man-child triple crown.

Sports betting, fantasy football, soccer / basketball recreationally, and drinking beer followed by hitting on women at bars.

I'm pretty basic.

Manc
17-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Vintage attire, live music, vegetarianism, spirituality, volunteering.

Turning into a proper tosser it would seem.

Sir Andy Mahowry
17-11-2016, 07:25 PM
I've been thinking of taking up the piano.

Spikey M
17-11-2016, 07:27 PM

Spirituality :harold:

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Spirituality :harold:

"Vintage Attire" is more irredeemable IMO

Foe
17-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Fostering cats is the best and probably toughest hobby to have.

Having to give them up 😥.

Boydy
17-11-2016, 07:31 PM

I thought this was The Merse at first. You two would get on well.

Giggles
17-11-2016, 07:41 PM
In all seriousness, how do you all find the time for anything? (The ones that work anyway). I barely have time to leave the house except for work and you can't just dip in and out of a hobby at the weekends. I'm usually fucked at that stage anyway.

niko_cee
17-11-2016, 07:43 PM

This was me, but a year or so ago I started playing the game (Warhammer, just before the whole thing disappeared into the abyss) and it's become the mild obsession I never imagined it would, having not touched it since I was about 12.

Pepe
17-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Fostering cats is the best and probably toughest hobby to have.

Having to give them up ��.

It is quite tough. Ended up keeping the first two actually. It gets easier after a while.

In all seriousness, how do you all find the time for anything? (The ones that work anyway). I barely have time to leave the house except for work and you can't just dip in and out of a hobby at the weekends. I'm usually fucked at that stage anyway.

Waking up early. I spend ~12 hours a week cycling. Granted, I only spend 30-35 hours per week in the lab.

Lewis
17-11-2016, 07:48 PM
We ought to bring the Christmas WDYTOE forward whilst niko being a secret nerd (a complete and utter nerd) is still fresh.

Boydy
17-11-2016, 07:51 PM
I really liked golf when I took it up in the summer but it's too wet and cold now. I need a Winter hobby.

Samadini
17-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Pizza

Pepe
17-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Who was the one who completely BOTTLED our last awards attempt?

Spikey M
17-11-2016, 08:04 PM

I don't have time for alot. I work 37 hours compressed over 4 days, look after the baby on the other work day and then weekends are family time.

That doesn't leave much time for any hobbies so I am pretty much restricted to Match of The Day on a Saturday and Sunday and keeping an eye on weather forums (I'm a meteorology geek) as and when I can.

Giggles
17-11-2016, 08:14 PM
I really liked golf when I took it up in the summer but it's too wet and cold now. I need a Winter hobby.

KLJ5zGhoA0M

EDIT: Can't remember how to do YouTube tags. Indoor golf simulator. I used to play one in Portadown twice a week, it's not bad.

Adamski
17-11-2016, 08:19 PM
I don't have much time either. Leave the house at 7 and tend to get home between 5-7 so not much happens at the weekend.

Not sure when an interest becomes a hobby but I would definitely class things as eating out, trying new whiskies and brewing beer as my 'hobbies'

I guess football is in there too along with comics/graphic novels and learning to code.

I've been considering learning guitar or keyboard for a few years but not quite pushed ahead with it. Quite fancy the idea of dabbling with electronic models and building small robots.

Disco
17-11-2016, 09:34 PM
This was me, but a year or so ago I started playing the game (Warhammer, just before the whole thing disappeared into the abyss) and it's become the mild obsession I never imagined it would, having not touched it since I was about 12.

I had one game when I was about 11 but it never grabbed me, also had a housemate who would play sometimes but all I ever wanted to do was pick up all their stuff and have a look. This is apparently not the done thing so it was basically just a couple hours of frustration going on in my house every fortnight.

igor_balis
17-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Who was the one who completely BOTTLED our last awards attempt?

sorry

Raoul Duke
17-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Nothing too esoteric. I'm much more into men's fashion than I ever really post about on here. Other than that just 'bloke stuff' like games, technology/gadgets, guitars/live music, craft beer, coffee. Most of that is just 'living in London' though really.

Maybe I need to get a hobby, but then I'm normally pretty knackered when I finish work and can't really be arsed.

Jimmy Floyd
17-11-2016, 10:05 PM
What's it about?

Coming of age bullshit about a kid with depression. I kept going at it because I came up with two characters I really liked and wanted to get them to the end, but I struggled with a lot of the rest of it. There's a lot of technical stuff involved that you have to plan out in advance much more than I did (though you still have to expect it to change massively as you write). I'll have another go at another one in a year or two, probably. The actual discipline of coming home in the evening and saying 'right, I'm going to do another 1,000 words tonight, come what may' was the best thing I got out of it.

phonics
17-11-2016, 10:30 PM
KLJ5zGhoA0M

EDIT: Can't remember how to do YouTube tags. Indoor golf simulator. I used to play one in Portadown twice a week, it's not bad.

Tweets take the number, videos take the whole URL as you can link videos from multiple sites.

phonics
17-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Something came up on my cock once and a WebMD search that I had to have it lopped off (my cock not the thing) and I was this close to writing a Seth Rogen-esque screenplay about a bloke who had his knob chopped off only for his wife to give a virgin birth and have him killed in a La Haine-esque way. God I'm glad I didn't bother.

Giggles
17-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Tweets take the number, videos take the whole URL as you can link videos from multiple sites.

Ah yes I remember now. Was there ever any joy getting the mobile version of the full link to work?

phonics
17-11-2016, 10:35 PM
Sorry? Not sure what you're taking about?

edit: Oh, linking m.youtube? I'm sure it's quite simple. I'll have a look once life calms down.

Giggles
17-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Sorry? Not sure what you're taking about?

edit: Oh, linking m.youtube? I'm sure it's quite simple. I'll have a look once life calms down.

Yeah, it's just if I share from the app it always copies the youtu.be short version like below but it doesn't work in the tags.

https://youtu.be/wRkNMvK8UEE

phonics
17-11-2016, 10:43 PM
That should be a relatively simple change, I'll see if there's any pre-written code out there and if not have a word with SvN. I noted the post about 'Advanced Reply' being non existent on Mobile as well. Just as I say, life is busy.

Shindig
17-11-2016, 10:44 PM
I did a little bit of screenwriting back during my unemployed days but I've since binned that off. That was a daft summer. Now I write gaming reviews in my spare time. It's fairly bland shit but I quite like reading about gaming on an academic, critical level. Youtube's pretty good for that stuff.

I'm grimly fascinated by the twats that attempt to making a living off it. Not the main ones but the guys further down the ladder who jump straight to Patreon when they've got 5 subscribers. Gaming coverage, and those that provide it, got seriously weird in the last few years. I also fucking love old wrestling and the stories that come out of that. Brian Pillman's a business genius for how he ditched WCW.

Giggles
17-11-2016, 11:01 PM
That should be a relatively simple change, I'll see if there's any pre-written code out there and if not have a word with SvN. I noted the post about 'Advanced Reply' being non existent on Mobile as well. Just as I say, life is busy.

Cheers. Not a massive deal anyway. More a 'it'd be nice' than a real problem.