PDA

View Full Version : Will

Dquincy
11-10-2016, 01:44 PM
To anyone that knows about money/wills,

What's the difference between a cheap will that Groupon (or other) or the will a financial advisor will provide. The latter had quoted £250 for 'mirror wills' for my wife and I.

Thanks.

Spammer
11-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Willard Carroll "Will" Smith Jr.[2][3][4] (born September 25, 1968)[2] is an American actor, producer, rapper, and songwriter. In April 2007, Newsweek called him "the most powerful actor in Hollywood".[5] Smith has been nominated for five Golden Globe Awards and two Academy Awards, and has won four Grammy Awards.

In the late 1980s, Smith achieved modest fame as a rapper under the name The Fresh Prince. In 1990, his popularity increased dramatically when he starred in the popular television series The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. The show ran for six seasons (1990–96) on NBC and has been syndicated consistently on various networks since then. After the series ended, Smith transitioned from television to film, and ultimately starred in numerous blockbuster films. He is the only actor to have eight consecutive films gross over $100 million in the domestic box office, eleven consecutive films gross over $150 million internationally, and eight consecutive films in which he starred open at the number one spot in the domestic box office tally.[6]

Smith has been ranked as the most bankable star worldwide by Forbes.[7] As of 2014, 17 of the 21 films in which he has had leading roles have accumulated worldwide gross earnings of over $100 million each, five taking in over $500 million each in global box office receipts. As of 2014, his films have grossed $6.6 billion at the global box office.[8] For his performances as boxer Muhammad Ali in Ali (2001) and stockbroker Chris Gardner in The Pursuit of Happyness (2006), Smith received nominations for the Academy Award for Best Actor.[9]

Browning
11-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Me and the wife have just done ours for £180. Not really sure what the difference was but I'm not sure we could have drawn it all up ourselves. It certainly made it a lot easier to just tell someone what we wanted and then let him go away and write it all up properly. No idea how the cheap ones work though.

They then ask for a ridiculous amount of money to store it though. We're still undecided if that's worth it. It's not that much per year but when you consider how long they'll hopefully have it it all adds up.

Disco
11-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Opportunity missed.

SvN
11-10-2016, 02:36 PM
If you're leaving everything to each other, you can do it yourself. You only need a solicitor if you start splitting the estate between multiple people.

Sir Andy Mahowry
11-10-2016, 02:39 PM
If you're leaving everything to each other, you can do it yourself. You only need a solicitor if you start splitting the estate between multiple people.
Get a fucking good one too :moop:

Spikey M
11-10-2016, 02:40 PM
As long as you have it down in writing where you want your shit to go I can't see it making much difference. If you are giving stuff to people left, right and centre then it may be a bit more tricky and be worth paying to really nail it down. If - like me - you're leaving everything to your wife/children then you can get a free will at some point. I'm not sure when it's available but Martin Lewis (The Money Supermarket bloke) always plugs it when they're available.

Actually, turns out it's now.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/free-cheap-wills#fwm

Edit: Scrap that, it's only for the Baby Boomer cunts.

phonics
11-10-2016, 03:02 PM
Can I have your peddle stool?

Baz
11-10-2016, 04:26 PM
They then ask for a ridiculous amount of money to store it though. We're still undecided if that's worth it. It's not that much per year but when you consider how long they'll hopefully have it it all adds up.I'll store it somewhere so safe I am confident I could leave a dead body in there and nobody would ever find it, for £1 a week with two one-off payments of £100 for putting it in there and £500 for retrieving it when you want it back.

Dquincy
11-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Can I have your peddle stool?

Firstly, kudos for the above. :thbup:

Secondly, thanks for all the comments. On reflection, it's all going to to go to my wife and child. But I think i might pay the £250 just so i don't have to worry about sorting it all out.

Wasn't aware of the storage cost option tho. Not up for that. Surely you can scan it and keep a pdf of it.

Giggles
11-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Maybe it's been answered but can you not store it online?

SvN
11-10-2016, 04:59 PM
A will needs to be a physical, signed document.

SvN
11-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Firstly, kudos for the above. :thbup:

Secondly, thanks for all the comments. On reflection, it's all going to to go to my wife and child. But I think i might pay the £250 just so i don't have to worry about sorting it all out.

Wasn't aware of the storage cost option tho. Not up for that. Surely you can scan it and keep a pdf of it.

You can buy a DIY kit from WH Smith for about a tenner. Don't throw your money away.

Giggles
11-10-2016, 05:05 PM
A will needs to be a physical, signed document.

Can I just hide it somewhere then and notify someone electronically where it is? The main reason I ask is that I've my Google account set up to allow access to the Mrs if I don't use it for 3 months, so I could have all this kind of stuff, along with bank details etc, stored in the cloud.

phonics
11-10-2016, 05:14 PM
You really, really, really, don't want to be storing your banking details in the cloud.

Raoul Duke
11-10-2016, 06:42 PM
If you croak she'll get your login? How's her #bantz?

Giggles
11-10-2016, 06:50 PM
If you croak she'll get your login? How's her #bantz?

Google login. So she can reset any other password she'd need.