PDA

View Full Version : Fifa 1-0 Racism

Bernanke
26-09-2016, 09:07 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/25/fifa-anti-racism-task-force-russia-2018-world-cup?CMP=share_btn_tw

Fifa has disbanded its anti-racism task force, declaring the work complete despite ongoing concerns about discriminatory behaviour in Russia, the hosts of the 2018 World Cup.

Fifa has written to members of the task force to say that it has “completely fulfilled its temporary mission” and “is hereby dissolved and no longer in operation.”

[...]

The most recent research from the Moscow-based SOVA Center and the Uefa-affiliated FARE Network reported a surge in the number of racist incidents involving Russian fans, with most cases going unpunished. Researchers logged 92 incidents of discriminatory incidents by Russian fans in and around stadiums in the 2014-15 season, against a total of 83 for the previous two seasons put together.

We did it guys! :happycry:

John Arne
26-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Wasn't there a player just last year that was disciplined by the Russian FA for leaving the pitch after he faced racist abuse for the whole game - either that or he reacted poorly to a decision or something....

EDIT: He was fined $600 and banned for 3 games for giving fans the middle finger - the club (of the racist fans) were fined $800.

http://www.worldsoccer.com/news/russia-bans-player-reacted-racist-abuse-358243

wullie
26-09-2016, 09:19 AM
I never thought this day would come. It's like when Obama became president or Ron Atkinson freed those three players he had.

Kikó
26-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Great stuff. Less committees- more action.

mugbull
26-09-2016, 10:17 AM
They're probably just cutting costs and had to give an excuse for why they were getting rid

Jimmy Floyd
26-09-2016, 10:21 AM
The ongoing downfall of Wiggins, and the total con that is British cycling as a whole, is far more entertaining than anything FIFA has come up with recently. Must try harder.

Lewis
26-09-2016, 11:08 AM
They would be much better off if they just said that civilised countries don't have racism in football (I know people like to repeat the idea that English football is institutionally racist, but has anybody ever shown any evidence of that?) and that what are they supposed to do about places like Russia? But then I suppose that would be admitting that they are a mere administrative body for a sport, rather than an equal to the United Nations.

randomlegend
26-09-2016, 12:03 PM
The ongoing downfall of Wiggins, and the total con that is British cycling as a whole, is far more entertaining than anything FIFA has come up with recently. Must try harder.

Is it an inhaled steroid he's been taking? Because from what I've always been taught there's very little systemic absorption of inhaled steroids - which is a big part of why they are used, as they avoid many of the side effects you get from taking steroids via other routes.

With that being the case, i can't imagine you get a great deal of benefit from inhaled steroids unless you actually need to take them. Maybe he just genuinely has a problem :sorry:

I'm obviously not an expert on any of this, however.

Magic
26-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Fuck off Jim.

Jimmy Floyd
26-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Is it an inhaled steroid he's been taking? Because from what I've always been taught there's very little systemic absorption of inhaled steroids - which is a big part of why they are used, as they avoid many of the side effects you get from taking steroids via other routes.

With that being the case, i can't imagine you get a great deal of benefit from inhaled steroids unless you actually need to take them. Maybe he just genuinely has a problem :sorry:

I have no idea, but the lady doth protest too much. I'm sure they're totally legit 'marginal gains'.

Kikó
26-09-2016, 12:22 PM

It was injected something or others before a few key races. From what I've read, there are no real advantages physically for triamcinolone but it's been used by riders who do cheat (placebo?).

Now we know what marginal gains is slang for.

Mr. Malik
26-09-2016, 12:58 PM
Wiggins got a TUE before each of his races because, presumably, he had been using cortisone heavily in training to help achieve that emaciated physique of his; and he needed the TUE as a scapegoat in case it was still in his system in-competition and led to a positive test.

Being skinny is not unusual, being powerful is not unusual, but being both simultaneously was unheard of prior to Sky.

niko_cee
26-09-2016, 02:28 PM
I wondered about so many elite athletes being 'asthmatic' so looked up how common it was and was surprised it was something like 1 in 8.

Disco
26-09-2016, 02:38 PM
If all you need to do to cover your doping is get a note from the teacher to cover it then the next logical question is how serious are governing bodies about having a 'clean' (lol, because there's as many grey areas as you can be bothered to count) sport? One suspects bothered enough to keep it out of the headlines but not so much after that.

Disco
26-09-2016, 02:44 PM
I wondered about so many elite athletes being 'asthmatic' so looked up how common it was and was surprised it was something like 1 in 8.

It raises an interesting question, if it's ok to take performance enhancers to counteract a condition like asthma why is it not ok to use them to counteract something like naturally lower lung capacity or being generally not as good at cycling as everyone else?

If they actually gave a shit they'd tell asthmatics to piss off and have their own race, or suck it up (arf) and do their best.

Kikó
26-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Haven't the asthmatics got the Paralympics?

niko_cee
26-09-2016, 03:43 PM
The 100m for people with mild nut allergies and those who claim to have an intolerance to gluten, but are actually just idiots.

Jimmy Floyd
26-09-2016, 04:09 PM
They have that already, it's called tennis.