PDA

View Full Version : News of the day

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Dquincy
10-03-2023, 08:34 PM
:drool:

Baz
10-03-2023, 08:41 PM
I had no idea what 'Crisps' had done but it's fun watching them all drop out. niko_cee played his cards too early dropping out.

I'd like to announce my availability to present Match of the Day tomorrow.

Also, upon reading up on what he'd done I was surprised how many news sources refer to these people as immigrants and not refugees... then realised I did it earlier today. :henn0rz:

Lofty
10-03-2023, 08:45 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/02/many-men-have-a-problematic-relationship-with-food-and-im-one-of-them

Adrian Chiles will do it for a plate of sausage butties.

Don
10-03-2023, 08:53 PM
The world would be some place if MOTD-level punditry died a death. Mental health of a nation could be salvaged.

Waffdon
10-03-2023, 09:17 PM

There he is

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-03-2023, 09:18 PM
:lol:

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-03-2023, 09:43 PM
"No presenters or pundits will feature on Saturday's Match of the Day programme, a BBC spokesperson says.

Saturday's Match of the Day programme will "focus on match action without studio presentation or punditry", they say."

Yevrah
10-03-2023, 09:49 PM
Surely those who are commentating on the games are going to get dragged into this as well.

Jimmy Floyd
10-03-2023, 09:55 PM
This is a proper culture war flashpoint. Government using its control of the state broadcaster to silence a prominent critic.

Yevrah
10-03-2023, 09:58 PM
Was just thinking that and it's utterly pathetic, or worse, something you'd see in a tinpot dictatorship.

Danny
10-03-2023, 10:02 PM

Everything’s going to be fine

Lewis
10-03-2023, 10:24 PM
If you want to work for the BBC, which the public are compelled to pay for, you should keep your political opinions to yourself (or at least try to). Why is that so difficult? Its continued existence literally depends on not pissing half the country off, yet its defenders seem to want it to for short term Twitter points.

mo
10-03-2023, 10:32 PM
I think it's the inconsistency. It appears that some BBC presenters over the years have been able to voice their opinions (Andrew Neil was one example I saw) without any sort of consequence. When you factor in who's running the BBC as well now, it very much looks government appeasement.

Jimmy Floyd
10-03-2023, 10:35 PM
I don't see how it matters what the presenters of football, or dancing, or antiques think about politics. News/politics show presenters, maybe.

Lofty
10-03-2023, 10:38 PM
It's remain impartial unless you're tonguing our arseholes/egging us on to be bigger bastards that is irritating people. If Linekar tweets 'send the buggers back' The Guardian goes mad but I doubt you have Cruella directly briefing against him in interviews.

Luke Emia
10-03-2023, 10:41 PM
If you want to work for the BBC, which the public are compelled to pay for, you should keep your political opinions to yourself (or at least try to). Why is that so difficult? Its continued existence literally depends on not pissing half the country off, yet its defenders seem to want it to for short term Twitter points.

But the way it’s acting now is pissing half the country off. As I said yesterday if he was full right wing Brexit means Brexit why are we letting foreign into the country the press wouldn’t have gone for him in the same way.

Manc
10-03-2023, 10:41 PM
Small time state.

Lewis
10-03-2023, 10:49 PM
In what universe would a prominent BBC presenter spouting off about immigration and making their own spurious Third Reich comparisons not be dropped like a sack of hot shit? The Daily Mail might not have gone for them, but the BBC would still have canned them without hesitating before Twitter forced them into it.

Yevrah
10-03-2023, 10:55 PM
But the way it’s acting now is pissing half the country off. As I said yesterday if he was full right wing Brexit means Brexit why are we letting foreign into the country the press wouldn’t have gone for him in the same way.

The (right leaning) press might not have but the result would have been the same.

Luke Emia
10-03-2023, 10:58 PM
The (right leaning) press might not have but the result would have been the same.

It wouldn’t who listens to The Guardian and The Mirror anyway? The BBC is petrified by the government and the right wing press and their reaction to anything they do.

Yevrah
10-03-2023, 11:00 PM
I think it's the inconsistency. It appears that some BBC presenters over the years have been able to voice their opinions (Andrew Neil was one example I saw) without any sort of consequence. When you factor in who's running the BBC as well now, it very much looks government appeasement.

This is the problem and in particular Gary's monologue before the Qatar World Cup, which presumably the BBC signed off on if not put him up to it. If you're going to say your presenters can't be political then it's all or nothing.

Yevrah
10-03-2023, 11:02 PM
It wouldn’t who listens to The Guardian and The Mirror anyway? The BBC is petrified by the government and the right wing press and their reaction to anything they do.

If you genuinely believe that a leading BBC sport's presenter coming out and saying "why are we letting foreigners into the country" wouldn't cost him his job then your World view is divorced from reality.

7om
10-03-2023, 11:05 PM
I just read that Crisps earns £1.3m a year. To read off an autocue for a few minutes one night a week. That’s more baffling than any knee-jerk bollocks he tweets.

Luke Emia
10-03-2023, 11:07 PM

He’s not fucking wrong though and as I keep saying if the BBC are happy for him to slag off Qatar for the way they act then really they need to suck it up when he complains about this country threatening to break international law.

I can pretty much guarantee that the thick as shit people that this stops the boats bullshit plays to couldn’t give a rats arse about where the people are from. Just because somebody was born in the UK they will still see them as foreign if they are Asian or Black or Eastern European. Sunak and Braverman to the type of voters they are playing up to are still ‘Paki’s’ and nothing they do is going to stop that.

This country really needs to stop with this ‘When we ruled the fucking world’ attitude because it’s taking us nowhere. We don’t have enough people to work in the country if people want to come here and work and contribute and pay taxes let them in. Because in 30/40 years time when we are stuck with an ageing population and can’t afford basics that’s going to be a lot worse than this.

Luke Emia
10-03-2023, 11:08 PM
If you genuinely believe that a leading BBC sport's presenter coming out and saying "why are we letting foreigners into the country" wouldn't cost him his job then your World view is divorced from reality.

He wouldn’t because if there was the threat of it The Mail, The Express and The Sun would be on the BBC like a fucking shot.

Yevrah
10-03-2023, 11:09 PM
I just read that Crisps earns £1.3m a year. To read off an autocue for a few minutes one night a week. That’s more baffling than any knee-jerk bollocks he tweets.

He took a pay cut the last time some (unrelated) other shit kicked off IIRC too.

Lewis
10-03-2023, 11:11 PM
He’s not fucking wrong though and as I keep saying if the BBC are happy for him to slag off Qatar for the way they act then really they need to suck it up when he complains about this country threatening to break international law.

I can pretty much guarantee that the thick as shit people that this stops the boats bullshit plays to couldn’t give a rats arse about where the people are from. Just because somebody was born in the UK they will still see them as foreign if they are Asian or Black or Eastern European. Sunak and Braverman to the type of voters they are playing up to are still ‘Paki’s’ and nothing they do is going to stop that.

This country really needs to stop with this ‘When we ruled the fucking world’ attitude because it’s taking us nowhere. We don’t have enough people to work in the country if people want to come here and work and contribute and pay taxes let them in. Because in 30/40 years time when we are stuck with an ageing population and can’t afford basics that’s going to be a lot worse than this.

You don't think the BBC or its prominent personalities should be impartial. Okay. But don't complain when a future right-wing government abolishes it.

Yevrah
10-03-2023, 11:12 PM
He wouldn’t because if there was the threat of it The Mail, The Express and The Sun would be on the BBC like a fucking shot.

What, to defend someone who thinks and has publicly stated that we shouldn't let any forriners into the country? It's a stupid position to take at the very least (much like comparing the government's rhetoric to the Third Reich) so I can't really see what the defence would be.

Yevrah
10-03-2023, 11:14 PM
You don't think the BBC or its prominent personalities should be impartial. Okay. But don't complain when a future right-wing government abolishes it.

It's run its course anyway now. Sure it had its place once upon a time, but media has been so decentralised it's becoming increasingly irrelevant and I'm not sure there's even an argument to suggest it's fulfilling a public service these days, let alone an argument that people should be forced to pay for it.

Waffdon
10-03-2023, 11:26 PM
John Motson’s silence is deafening

mo
10-03-2023, 11:26 PM
Too soon.

Don
10-03-2023, 11:34 PM
No pundits and potentially no commentators too? We eating good tomorrow night.

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-03-2023, 11:54 PM
Commentators are standing with Crisps. As are players:

"BBC Sport understands a number of players from various clubs have contacted the Professional Footballers Association (PFA) tonight saying they may want to show solidarity with Gary Lineker and Match of the Day pundits over the BBC impartiality row by boycotting the programme's post-match interviews tomorrow.

The PFA - which has been in talks with players and clubs on the matter - are believed to be supportive of any players who choose to do so."

igor_balis
10-03-2023, 11:57 PM
The players threatening to boycott too is fucking mad, I love it.

Lewis
11-03-2023, 12:11 AM
The BBC are in it now, and their commitment to impartiality is on the line. They should sack every pundit and commentator who refuses to work and just automate some commentary over the extended coverage that they can now show instead of interviews and shite.

Yevrah
11-03-2023, 12:14 AM
I imagine the next issue brewing is now the people who actually work on pulling the show together. It's conceivable they might not actually be able to show anything tomorrow night.

7om
11-03-2023, 12:19 AM
Do people actually watch Match of the Day anymore? The premier league highlights on YouTube give you everything you need and you don’t have to listen to Jermaine Jenas or Danny Murphy talk complete garbage in between.

Lewis
11-03-2023, 12:26 AM
You could see them having nothing to show this weekend (in which case everyone not doing their job at every level should be sacked), but the Premier League will put something together for next week. The clubs and the league aren't going to their Product drop off the screen for Crisps' right to talk shit on his taxpayer-funded salary.

7om
11-03-2023, 12:27 AM
All the commentators have pulled out now.

Waffdon
11-03-2023, 12:32 AM
Nottingham Forrest will conduct interviews as normal tomorrow. Not much surprise there, the massive scabs. Newcastle the only other PL team to join them.

Baz
11-03-2023, 03:18 AM
Do people actually watch Match of the Day anymore? The premier league highlights on YouTube give you everything you need and you don’t have to listen to Jermaine Jenas or Danny Murphy talk complete garbage in between.

Every week. I enjoy the punditry.

niko_cee
11-03-2023, 08:36 AM
I don't see how it matters what the presenters of football, or dancing, or antiques think about politics. News/politics show presenters, maybe.

Isn't this almost literally what the BBC impartiality guidelines say?

Giggles
11-03-2023, 08:58 AM
Sky have laid it out very clearly illustrating the BBC’s fuck up that even the mong on the street will be able to play the video and understand.

Lofty
11-03-2023, 09:12 AM
Didn't Jeremy Clarkson refer to Gordon Brown as a one eyed Scottish idiot whilst on the BBC payroll? Impartial :drool:

Lewis
11-03-2023, 09:27 AM
I seem to remember the aggro about that being the disability angle; but yes, Jeremy Clarkson used to do things a decade ago that helped determine how the BBC now operates in a more delicate political climate.

Giggles
11-03-2023, 09:31 AM
I seem to remember the aggro about that being the disability angle; but yes, Jeremy Clarkson used to do things a decade ago that helped determine how the BBC now operates in a more delicate political climate.

When it suits.

Lofty
11-03-2023, 09:48 AM
I note the government hasn't given a shiny shit about the double digit number of bias allegation incidents Laura Kuenssberg has been involved in over the last decade. Yet Emily Maitlis was hammered for all hers. Wonder why?

Lewis
11-03-2023, 09:54 AM
Which ones?

Lofty
11-03-2023, 10:03 AM
2019 election claimed Labour had been twatted in the postal votes the day before the polls.

Claimed a Labour activist assaulted a Conservative campaigner with no evidence, later found to be untrue (so much for the BBC double source rule lol).

Contradicted evidence from other journalists in 2020 about Cummings' trip to Barnard Castle saying it was legal, essentially being his mouthpiece (confirmed by Cummings 2021 parliamentary committee).

Never mind stuff like dodgy edits of interviews like showing Corbyn's answer to a different question to the one asked, or just the general tone difference on her pieces depending on who she is dealing with.

May's pathetic 'Laura' as she was eviscerated at a press conference shows exactly what the government regarded her as.

Luke Emia
11-03-2023, 10:18 AM
Looks like Football Focus could be about to follow.

Mike
11-03-2023, 10:31 AM
All the commentators have pulled out now.
I watch them on a Sunday morning when my daughter had gotten me up at daft o’clock. She dances to the music so I assume she doesn’t mind.

Spikey M
11-03-2023, 11:00 AM
Looks like Football Focus could be about to follow.

Yep. Cancelled.

niko_cee
11-03-2023, 11:04 AM
You know the world is slightly broken when the BBC has a breaking news livetext bit for football focus being replaced by bargain hunt.

Spikey M
11-03-2023, 11:06 AM
I await David Dickinsons statement on whether he will be presenting MOTD.

niko_cee
11-03-2023, 11:07 AM
BBC going with a guy in blackface as the stand in a bold choice.

Sir Andy Mahowry
11-03-2023, 11:14 AM
Final score now cancelled too.

7om
11-03-2023, 11:15 AM
Drain The BBC.

Edit: that sounded better in my head.

niko_cee
11-03-2023, 11:17 AM
Feels like this has now gone too far, with the organisation almost obligated to call the pro-Lineker mob's bluff now and tell them it hopes they enjoy their new found liberation from paid employment.

Sir Andy Mahowry
11-03-2023, 11:18 AM
The WSL game they were going to show tomorrow is also in doubt.

Ben
11-03-2023, 11:52 AM

The voice of impartiality has spoken.

Spikey M
11-03-2023, 12:11 PM
5Live won't be providing coverage of games now. :D

Sir Andy Mahowry
11-03-2023, 12:15 PM

This is fucking glorious.

Kikó
11-03-2023, 12:36 PM
Lewis frantically defending the government again. Beautiful.

Dave.
11-03-2023, 12:53 PM
Lewis frantically defending the government again. Beautiful.

And he says that he isn't pro-government.:lol:

Spikey M
11-03-2023, 12:56 PM
He's not pro-government. He's pro-BBC. Loves a bit of Miranda.

Yevrah
11-03-2023, 01:00 PM
This is a proper shit show now, as the BBC simply cannot sack everyone involved by this point, let alone the numbers it might amount to after the day is out.

Shindig
11-03-2023, 01:32 PM
You can easily argue twitter is outside of BBC's remit unless they slapped social media clauses into his contract. Also, Andrew Neil looks redder than the surface of Mars.

Ian
11-03-2023, 02:12 PM
5Live won't be providing coverage of games now. :D

Fucking hell. :D

Jimmy Floyd
11-03-2023, 03:02 PM
This is a cultural death rattle for British conservatism. Totally needless but the calibre of person in the government is just not up to scratch unfortunately.

Lewis
11-03-2023, 03:39 PM
He's not pro-government. He's pro-BBC. Loves a bit of Miranda.

It's slightly ironic that the most anti-BBC person here seems to be the only person who can see how slacking on impartiality will kill it.

Spikey M
11-03-2023, 03:50 PM
It's slightly ironic that the most anti-BBC person here seems to be the only person who can see how slacking on impartiality will kill it.

The BBC has been slacking on impartiality for decades. They let Clarkson get away with it right up until he punched a member of staff in the face.

They could atleast let Wayney Links deliver a kidneyshot to Suella Braverman before they send him to present Games Of The Evening on Amazon Prime.

Jimmy Floyd
11-03-2023, 03:53 PM
The people supposedly enforcing impartiality here aren't trying to protect the BBC. They're trying to destroy it out of frustration that it doesn't offer favourable coverage to their pet political positions.

Lewis
11-03-2023, 03:54 PM
Clarkson tended to get told off for things, but 1) his interventions were either lol ones or about trivial things; and 2) for a long time he was making them far too much money. Maybe Crisps should have just been properly warned or canned years ago, rather than being allowed to say what he wanted, which has contributed to the climate that has now forced their hands.

Shindig
11-03-2023, 04:00 PM
The impartiality's just a marketing buzzword. There's not much impartiality in broadcast news. News without a narrative is just, "These are the things that have happened." without any context. What are people meant to do with that?

Lewis
11-03-2023, 04:03 PM
The people supposedly enforcing impartiality here aren't trying to protect the BBC. They're trying to destroy it out of frustration that it doesn't offer favourable coverage to their pet political positions.

I know your politics is essentially that pushing back on things is vulgar, but, from the perspective of the BBC, isn't impartiality worth a try?

igor_balis
11-03-2023, 04:11 PM
I know your politics is essentially that pushing back on things is vulgar, but, from the perspective of the BBC, isn't impartiality worth a try?

impartiality in editorial terms, sure, try that, or even from the "current affairs" people, but why should the ones presenting the footy be "impartial"? why does it matter?

igor_balis
11-03-2023, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure why I'm engaging tho, cus Lew will always default to an opinion on stuff like this, then work backwards to try to intellectually justify it.

Giggles
11-03-2023, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure why I'm engaging tho, cus Lew will always default to an opinion on stuff like this, then work backwards to try to intellectually justify it.

The stance isn't remotely about the BBC even though that's the angle being pushed.

Jimmy Floyd
11-03-2023, 04:27 PM

For Naga Munchetty, yes, but not for Gary Lineker.

Spikey M
11-03-2023, 04:28 PM
Do we know what's actually happening with MOTD tonight yet? Is it actually cancelled? Or are they just going to cobble together the key highlights and get the work experience kid to freestyle over it?

Spikey M
11-03-2023, 04:30 PM

Typical white privilege.

Lewis
11-03-2023, 04:33 PM

My opinion is that the BBC only exists insofar as it can convince a majority of the population that it at least attempts to be impartial, and that having its best-known and best-paid presenter spouting off against the government and associating a policy most voters support with the Holocaust might just give a lot of people reason to doubt that impartiality. In the long-term, this will not work in the BBC's favour.

I know whenever I point these things out it's easy for you all to stick your heads up the collective arse and accuse me of defending the government, but is this not actually obvious?

igor_balis
11-03-2023, 04:39 PM
bro, I see your argument, but it's a shit one. lineker being best-known is citation needed, him being best paid is largely irrelevant, he does the footy, who gives a shit

Lewis
11-03-2023, 04:39 PM

Do you think everybody except newsreaders being allowed to say whatever they like will make it easier or harder to defend the BBC?

igor_balis
11-03-2023, 04:40 PM
Do you think everybody except newsreaders being allowed to say whatever they like will make it easier or harder to defend the BBC?

defend it from whom, exactly

Lewis
11-03-2023, 04:45 PM
The people who might decide that being compelled to pay for something that is openly hostile to them isn't particularly worthwhile. Why not politicise the football coverage if we shouldn't expect impartiality? Maybe the BBC could adopt a team and just show Man City highlights because they score the most goals and people like goals.

Spikey M
11-03-2023, 04:46 PM
defend it from whom, exactly

Communism, Igor. Communism.

randomlegend
11-03-2023, 04:47 PM
a policy most voters support

Is that even true? Even if it is, what difference would it make? It'd be OK if he'd voiced an opinion which the majority of the voters support?

Spikey M
11-03-2023, 04:54 PM
It'd be OK if he'd voiced an opinion which the majority of the voters support?

Which happens in literally every news bulletin. I haven't heard Ol' Vladdy Putin be given a fair shake of the stick.

The BBC is not impartial, never mind the employees. They just have to stay the right side of the personal views of management.

Luke Emia
11-03-2023, 04:58 PM
Is that even true? Even if it is, what difference would it make? It'd be OK if he'd voiced an opinion which the majority of the voters support?

Which is my point with all of this if he supported Brexit and the boats being stopped none of this would be an issue.

niko_cee
11-03-2023, 05:11 PM
I dunno, I reckon twitter would be pretty pissed at that as well.

Where does this go from here? Is this a one week thing or is the entirety of BBC Sport now on strike until Gary gets reinstated with full privileges to say whatever he wants on social media?

7om
11-03-2023, 06:03 PM
In before this is all revealed to be a work to get people to watch Match of the Day again.

Manc
12-03-2023, 02:40 PM
BT looking to secure Crisps for next season. Jake Humphrey in the mud.

Jimmy Floyd
12-03-2023, 03:29 PM
Jake Humphrey really gets away with being a terrible, terrible person. 'The High Performance Podcast' is everything wrong with the 21st century West.

Yevrah
12-03-2023, 03:36 PM
That podcast is absolute dogshit isn't it.

Lewis
12-03-2023, 04:03 PM
The real winner will be Alan Shearer, who will be free to join Sky Sports as their Newcastle Pundit on Roy Keane money.

John Arne
13-03-2023, 10:18 AM
The BEEB have apologised, and Gary is back. Poor Lewis.

-james-
13-03-2023, 10:45 AM
The smarmy pun and wink to the camera at 22:32 GMT this Saturday will be the TV moment of the decade.

Raoul Duke
13-03-2023, 11:28 AM
Should do it in his pants again

Don
14-03-2023, 12:03 PM
The US president, Joe Biden, rejected the accusation, saying the submarines would be “nuclear-powered, not nuclear-armed”

I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure the Aussies will be game to give full access to a bunch of brown and yellow lads to make sure it's all above board. Maybe sanction the shit out of them for a few decades too, just to be safe.

Lewis
14-03-2023, 03:43 PM
Australia are saying that they won't be touching any nuclear fuel, but it opens the door for Iran to receive similar support from any nuclear-capable allies it might have.

Spikey M
14-03-2023, 03:46 PM
How are they going to power them then? I know you can run a Diesel engine on vegetable oil, but I don't think they can use coal in a reactor.

Lewis
14-03-2023, 03:52 PM
They are saying that all of the servicing/refuelling/reprocessing will be done by the other countries, and that the Australian crews will only learn to use them and service them on the run. If Iran really only wants nuclear for civil use then Russia could easily provide that.

Shindig
14-03-2023, 06:11 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-64950862

I know it's been around for months but every detail of this story continues to baffle me.

Spikey M
14-03-2023, 06:30 PM
You have to appreciate the dedication to the lie at least. She properly fucked her eye up with that hammer.

Shindig
14-03-2023, 06:37 PM
Travelling to Blackpool for the sole purpose of a Pot Noodle and self abuse is grim. Her sister seems to think there was one real rape and she was trying to bring attention to it. Her sister's photos were the ones used in court against her. :D

Ian
14-03-2023, 07:34 PM
Travelling to Blackpool is grim.

Shindig
14-03-2023, 07:42 PM
Especially out of season. I've got family over there that want us to come and visit. I'll do it for the craic but fuck making a habit out of it.

niko_cee
15-03-2023, 03:44 PM
I'm a big fan of some of the imagery in this story. (https://uk.yahoo.com/news/farmer-fined-cow-tossed-terrified-134641082.html)

He said “It was just the one cow, the biggest one. It came up and threw me into the air with its head and then it trod all over me.

“I was trying to crawl out of the way, but it just kept landing its hooves on me.

“The dog was on its lead and I’d managed to let it go and it made it away.

“My wife had one of those plastic ball throwers for the dog and she was hitting the cow with it but it made no difference at all. I managed to roll away from under it.

“I wasn’t feeling too good at all, I couldn’t breathe.

:D

Disco
15-03-2023, 04:29 PM
What a fucking idiot, the cow should have finished him off.

Shindig
15-03-2023, 07:17 PM
"I've been near cows once. They won't do nuffink."

Spikey M
16-03-2023, 06:47 PM
She's not going to survive on prison portions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64966865

randomlegend
16-03-2023, 06:56 PM
Does she push her into the road at the last second of the video?

Spikey M
16-03-2023, 07:07 PM
I believe so. She's been banged up for manslaughter.

(3 years because she's a woman)

randomlegend
16-03-2023, 07:17 PM
All the reports say she just shouted and waved her arms at her.

I thought it was illegal to ride on pavements. Google seems to say that it is indeed illegal but the police can use their discretion not to punish people if the road is dangerous or whatever. It actually seems kind of a harsh punishment to me for what amounts to shouting and gesticulating at someone who is breaking the law.

Although some people are saying that bit of path is specifically designated a joint cycle/pedestrian path which would change things I suppose.

Shindig
16-03-2023, 07:22 PM
I always thought it was illegal but only total knobheads get arsey about it. Pushing them into traffic is a no-no for me, Clive.

Spikey M
16-03-2023, 07:23 PM
1631291726538104833?t=hnr8CRssMFUrvgaTZY-v3g&s=19

That shows a bit more. You can't really tell if she touched her, but she certainly "swings" at her which caused her to turn in to the road and get killed by an oncoming car.

Even if the cyclist was on the pavement illegally (she wasn't) you can't force them into the road like that.

randomlegend
16-03-2023, 07:29 PM
Yeah looking at that I agree it does look like she pushes her/forces her into the road, which is entirely different. Surprised she didn't get a murder charge if she's actually pushed her.

Shindig
16-03-2023, 07:36 PM
It's all about intent. She can argue she didn't intend to kill her. She absolutely intended to push the old dear over. She's half the pavement to move back into but she's already made up her mind to be a cunt.

Lofty
16-03-2023, 11:24 PM
What pisses me off is when they do it with all the gear on and the roads are dead.

Spikey M
17-03-2023, 07:33 AM
The only times it is acceptable to murder cyclists is if they are riding past your house shouting to each other at 6am on a Sunday.

Or if they are riding in the road right next to a cycle lane.

Murder in these cases should be both legal and encouraged.

-james-
17-03-2023, 08:57 AM
I know it's not how the law works but a 77 year old biddy trundling along a quiet pavement is hardly the same as Gavin from sales pelting it to work with no regard for his surroundings.

Spikey M
17-03-2023, 09:03 AM
It probably should be how the law works to be fair. There's a mum that cycles to school with her kid. He's only 4 or 5 and he doesn't exactly ride in a straight or predictable line, yet she rides in the road with him.

randomlegend
17-03-2023, 11:18 AM
The non-doctor health unions have been absolutely mugged in their negotiations. I hope their members reject the offer.

Raoul Duke
17-03-2023, 11:30 AM
It probably should be how the law works to be fair. There's a mum that cycles to school with her kid. He's only 4 or 5 and he doesn't exactly ride in a straight or predictable line, yet she rides in the road with him.

The UK should invest in proper cycling infrastructure. In the Netherlands I can cycle miles without coming hardly anywhere near a car

Ben
17-03-2023, 12:40 PM
The non-doctor health unions have been absolutely mugged in their negotiations. I hope their members reject the offer.

Very small sample size but going by my wife’s colleagues, it looks like they’re taking it.

Lewis
17-03-2023, 04:37 PM
This (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64987575) seems like rather a light sentence.

Ian
17-03-2023, 04:41 PM
It is a bit.

Some laugh denying murder there too.

Spikey M
17-03-2023, 04:46 PM
What are we missing? Mental Health? There must be some kind of mitigating ground for a sentence that light, surely? Because on the face of it the bloke killed a mate for Social Media clout and should probably not be getting out of prison, well... ever.

randomlegend
17-03-2023, 05:17 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64995025

Baz
17-03-2023, 05:21 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64995025

Lovely.

Then you get cunts like Chester Zoo offering free tickets during teachers strikes because they “want to inspire a new generation of conservationists, with young people seen as playing a crucial role in creating a sustainable future for the planet and its wildlife.“ I’m pretty sure teachers want to do that, but also want fair pay.

Let strikes cause the disruption that was intended, don’t wash over them like the strikers are the bad guys. Boycott Chester Zoo.

niko_cee
19-03-2023, 08:11 AM
The entirely trustworthy and not at all inept West Yorkshire Police Force at it again I see.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64678781

What a farce.

Baz
19-03-2023, 09:01 AM
https://www.therightaddress.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Rory-McGrath-Website-500x500.jpg

mo
19-03-2023, 10:02 AM
Baz's Rory McGrath presented this Bloody Britain series (on topics like Mary I, Jack the Ripper, etc) with godawful animations. The animated characters don't talk but they moan a lot. Still use them regularly in lessons.

Also seem to recall he got done for stalking, keeping it somewhat topical.

Shindig
19-03-2023, 12:40 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64999417

Can't wait for that to be hacked.

Yevrah
19-03-2023, 12:59 PM
My brother's got this in Canada and the alerts are routinely ignored.

Danny
19-03-2023, 02:59 PM
Yeah we get them here. More of a nuisance than anything.

Unless you are in Hawaii and think you are about to die. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Hawaii_false_missile_alert

Spikey M
19-03-2023, 03:03 PM
Is it not just a more invasive version of the Met Office warnings that we already get (and ignore)?

Spikey M
19-03-2023, 03:08 PM
Yeah we get them here. More of a nuisance than anything.

Unless you are in Hawaii and think you are about to die. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Hawaii_false_missile_alert

I watched this (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0018zpw/storyville-on-the-morning-you-wake-to-the-end-of-the-world) and it was just depressing. Even when the world is going to end the phones come out because you can't miss an opportunity for Social Media clout.

Disco
19-03-2023, 03:46 PM
I've been getting those alerts for ages, they're non-specific as to what I'm supposed to do about said emergency but it's apparently very important to someone that I know about them.

phonics
21-03-2023, 08:48 AM
It absolutely destroys me to be proved right at every turn about the Met.

Shindig
21-03-2023, 09:27 AM
It's hardly a new revelation.

Don
23-03-2023, 01:51 PM

Tough one this. The ghost of George Floyd is still looming over us but equally, #metoo and feminist movements are close to all our hearts and the geezer has been accused of assaulting a female shopworker.

The geezer shopping for shampoo in a gang is great bants. As is the mum labelling him as her BLACK son, the dirty race-baiting shambles she is.

Lofty
23-03-2023, 02:23 PM
Lol at the clown in the comments saying they are a 'race reporter'.

Spikey M
23-03-2023, 02:29 PM
I used to work with a lad that left BHS (where Sir Philip Green stole our pension) for the Army. He was discharged due to his mental health and then rejected by the police for the same reason. When I last saw him he was one of these Street Rangers. If that's indicative of the usual type they get (power hungry but mentally unstable soppy cunts) then I'm just surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Lewis
23-03-2023, 04:40 PM
Tough one this. The ghost of George Floyd is still looming over us but equally, #metoo and feminist movements are close to all our hearts and the geezer has been accused of assaulting a female shopworker.

The geezer shopping for shampoo in a gang is great bants. As is the mum labelling him as her BLACK son, the dirty race-baiting shambles she is.

lol at all of the professional journalists taking a weird thirteen second clip with no sound as proof of her version of events.

Lofty
23-03-2023, 07:00 PM
The no sound is especially suspect.

Ben
23-03-2023, 07:02 PM
lol at all of the professional journalists taking a weird thirteen second clip with no sound as proof of her version of events.

Clicks.

Spikey M
23-03-2023, 07:03 PM
The no sound is especially suspect.

It will be because mummy darling was dropping more swearwords and slurs than an orgy at a Tourettes convention.

Ian
23-03-2023, 09:02 PM
I used to work with a lad that left BHS (where Sir Philip Green stole our pension) for the Army. He was discharged due to his mental health and then rejected by the police for the same reason. When I last saw him he was one of these Street Rangers. If that's indicative of the usual type they get (power hungry but mentally unstable soppy cunts) then I'm just surprised this doesn't happen more often.

How mentally ill do you have to be that neither the armed forces or the police will have you?

phonics
23-03-2023, 09:46 PM
We had enforced conscription in Switzerland and my mate had to go into the showers fullt clothed and then piss himself several days in a row to get kicked out.

Thought my other friends way where upon being handed a gun for the first time, choosing to repeatedly point it at his officers and then wildly firing into the air was much more effective and less embarrassing.

Lewis
23-03-2023, 09:56 PM
Playing army with your mates for six months, with no chance of ever actually fighting anyone, seems like a better bet than having 'MONG' stamped on your record for life.

phonics
23-03-2023, 10:04 PM
Praise jesus for the hypocratic oath and medical records being private.

The reason you do it is because if you're kicked out for psychiatric reasons you don't have to do that six months + 3 months every year for the next 10 years without getting taxed for it. You can turn down conscription on moral grounds but you have to pay an extra like 4k a year in tax over the next 16 years.

Lofty
24-03-2023, 06:34 AM
The world's laziest stalker:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-65058140

Baz
24-03-2023, 08:09 AM
Without seeing her, this story is not worth following.

Yevrah
24-03-2023, 06:27 PM
How in the fuck is this going to be policed?

MPs have approved plans to make street sexual harassment a crime carrying a jail sentence of up to two years.

Catcalling, following someone or blocking their path will become an offence in England and Wales under a bill backed by the government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65065154

I can see it now, that that chap in the House of Lords who opposes every ill thought out bill is going to get labelled as a misogynist when he boots this one into touch.

niko_cee
24-03-2023, 06:37 PM
Every ambling tourist in London about to be criminalised for path blocking. About fucking time.

Yevrah
24-03-2023, 06:41 PM
Taken at face value (the BBC article) it genuinely has to be one of the stupidest bills I can ever recall.

Love the way they've chucked this line in the article as well.

The murder of Sarah Everard, who was abducted and killed by serving policeman Wayne Couzens while walking home in south London in 2021, also increased concerns about women's safety and male attitudes towards women.

As if there's some sort of danger spectrum for Men that starts with wolf whistling, progresses to joining the metropolitan police and ends with dismembering a stranger.

Baz
24-03-2023, 06:56 PM
Remembering someone and thinking about them while shagging/wanking shall soon be a crime.

Spikey M
24-03-2023, 07:18 PM
They keep coming up with new laws because men keep stalking, raping and abusing women, unfortunately. The problem they're missing, is that the law isn't the problem. The police being too fucking useless to enforce it is. And that's what they need to change. But hey, it's quicker and cheaper to just invent new laws, so fuck it.

Disco
24-03-2023, 07:24 PM
You pass a law so it looks like you've done something about a hot ticket issue, whether it makes any difference or does what it was supposed to is the next guys problem. The police not enforcing said laws is more to do with that not being their purpose, which I suppose you could read as incompetence.

Spikey M
24-03-2023, 07:28 PM
It's up to them to catch the slimy cunts and evidence the crime, so they're atleast part of the problem. But yeah, a stretched court system isn't helpful either as the CPS end up only pursuing cut and dry cases. Which I suppose newer, lazier laws must help with. But fuck me, imagine getting banged up because you just happened to be going the same way as a woman in leggings and sports bra.

Yevrah
24-03-2023, 07:36 PM
Presumably there'll be no evidence with which to pursue the charges to their conclusion in that circumstance Spikes, but (and here's the problem with the bill) are you going to be arresting people before the evidence is established?

What did you do today love?

I spent four hours in a cell on a sexual harassment charge before being released

Again?

niko_cee
24-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Does seem like, whilst probably well meaning, a lot of this will flounder at the evidential stage, which is sort of the problem with sexual offences in the justice system as a whole. Short of living in a 100% surveillance state I don't know how you ever really get around that, intrinsically these offences aren't likely to have many witnesses to them, so there is always likely to be some scope for 'reasonable doubt'. A cultural shift away from 'she was gagging for it' as a prevailing societal mentality impacting juries [and it's not just men that fall into this category] will probably make a difference over time, but I'd still be surprised to see conviction rates for sexual offences match those for other crown court offences, which are pretty low in and of themselves as it is [actually looking at the stats I was surprised to see how high they appear to be, although perhaps that takes guilty pleas into account, I always thought you had a better than evens chance in the crown court if you went not guilty].

Don
25-03-2023, 12:32 AM

:megarasta:

Yevrah
25-03-2023, 12:42 AM
Would have been better if their 'peaceful' protests didn't involve setting fire to town halls.

Disco
25-03-2023, 12:59 AM
It's France, that's their equivalent of a strongly worded email.

Yevrah
25-03-2023, 01:06 AM
Quite, but somewhat dampens the piss taking moral high ground Iran are taking, albeit I do appreciate where he's coming from given the West are utterly obsessed with how the Middle East do things.

John Arne
25-03-2023, 01:38 AM
How in the fuck is this going to be policed?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65065154

I can see it now, that that chap in the House of Lords who opposes every ill thought out bill is going to get labelled as a misogynist when he boots this one into touch.

The UK :drool:

John Arne
27-03-2023, 04:49 AM
I've been out of the UK for a while... but what on Earth is going on with the trans/anti-trans protests and such?

Why is it so prominent in media, like how many trans people are there, and just how shitty are they being treated?

Regarding the coverage online you get the impression that there is a huge community and it's becoming a real issue... I just find that hard to believe.

Ben
27-03-2023, 06:02 AM
Who's covering it? Granted I usually only use BBC and FT but I've not seen anything. All the protest news has been France and now Israel.

Spikey M
27-03-2023, 06:19 AM
I've been out of the UK for a while... but what on Earth is going on with the trans/anti-trans protests and such?

Why is it so prominent in media, like how many trans people are there, and just how shitty are they being treated?

Regarding the coverage online you get the impression that there is a huge community and it's becoming a real issue... I just find that hard to believe.

Almost entirely a social media phenomenon.

niko_cee
27-03-2023, 10:16 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65082197

I always find this kind of stuff odd, and whilst not directly related to it, one of my wife's relatives/relatives relatives [I don't know] recently moved to Wales [poor them] and was somewhat taken aback by the fact that their kid starting primary school was going to be going to a school which was almost entirely conducted in Welsh. They obviously don;t speak Welsh. Looking at this (https://statswales.gov.wales/Catalogue/Education-and-Skills/Schools-and-Teachers/Schools-Census/Pupil-Level-Annual-School-Census/Schools/schools-by-localauthorityregion-welshmediumtype) it seems there are quite a few such institutions. Now, far be it for me to cast judgment from my cosmopolitan ivory tower [arf], but isn't doing that a fairly surefire way to ensure the ongoing irrelevance/general poverty/uselessness of a nation? They try to pull that shit over here now and then [I'm sure an unreasonable amount of public money went into giving every child a copy of the Gruffalo in Guernsey French for example] but actively impairing your nation's future to preserve an anachronistic language seems a bit like the sort of national self-harm something should be done about.

Does the EU have English as a working language anymore? I know that was going to slip as the Irish [bless them] chucked their potatoes into the regional dialect promotion budget basket when they realised their was funding to be had for their 'primary language'.

Ben
27-03-2023, 10:23 AM
English will always be a working language because that's what they all use day-to-day, except where Macron is involved.

Boydy
27-03-2023, 10:23 AM
With something like Welsh (or Irish), if you were schooled in that medium (you'd presumably have English lessons as well, no?), wouldn't you effectively just grow up bilingual?

Jimmy Floyd
27-03-2023, 10:28 AM
There has been loads of cultural balkanisation in Europe in the last 20 odd years, probably rightly, or else everywhere will just end up as loads of crappy Unofficial States of America.

Valencia is one that pisses me off, their stupid dialect is on all the signs everywhere but you never hear anyone speaking it.

Lofty
27-03-2023, 10:36 AM
With something like Welsh (or Irish), if you were schooled in that medium (you'd presumably have English lessons as well, no?), wouldn't you effectively just grow up bilingual?

The worst kind of bilingual, as presumably there are barely any Welsh or Irish speakers who can't speak English.

Ben
27-03-2023, 10:39 AM
I work with some guys from Donegal. Proper gangster types, only switching to Irish when they don't want you to know what they're plotting.

Boydy
27-03-2023, 10:41 AM
I work with some guys from Donegal. Proper gangster types, only switching to Irish when they don't want you to know what they're plotting.
Was just about to say it'd be handy when you don't want the English to know what you're talking about. :D

Raoul Duke
27-03-2023, 10:43 AM
The Dutch are mostly all bilingual and you can get by in English with pretty much everyone. They still have a strong culture and national identity

Ben
27-03-2023, 10:46 AM
Was just about to say it'd be handy when you don't want the English to know what you're talking about. :D

To be fair they could just stick to English. The Donegal accent is unique enough to disguise what they say at full speed anyway.

Spikey M
27-03-2023, 10:51 AM
My Irish mate that I used to work with is from the South West and he has to live life set to speed 0.5 or nobody can understand him. It's all fine until he gets excited about a subject and then he may as well be speaking in Gaelic because you can only catch the odd word here and there anyway.

Boydy
27-03-2023, 11:12 AM
I sometimes have to slow down when talking to English people as well. Mostly southerners tbh. It's your language and yous can't even keep up, dickheads.

Shindig
27-03-2023, 12:56 PM
I saw an anti-Biden protest yesterday. Four Babushkas with some pitiful signs.

Not sure why the Russians like Trump so much.

Giggles
27-03-2023, 01:16 PM
Classy to lol at us about the language when it was you tramps that beat it out of us in the first place. When you haven’t even the decorum of a nazi it tells a sorry tale.

Spikey M
27-03-2023, 02:25 PM
Yeah sorry about that, I was bored so thought I'd pop over and do a bit of conquering.

Yevrah
27-03-2023, 04:47 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65092102

Thoughts and prayers time again.

phonics
27-03-2023, 05:18 PM
It's a Christian school so clearly someone took a day off praying earlier.

Spikey M
27-03-2023, 05:32 PM
Atleast some of then will be the kids / grandkids of NRA members then.

phonics
27-03-2023, 06:00 PM
In a turn of events it appears a woman did it so I'm going to assume some paedo teacher/priest raped her.

Lewis
27-03-2023, 06:29 PM
Is it an actual woman?

niko_cee
27-03-2023, 07:23 PM
:D

Phonics is probably onto something with that line of thinking.

Lewis
27-03-2023, 09:28 PM
I was merely playing the odds on tranny, but it turning out to have been a transMAN was genuinely not on the coupon.

Lofty
27-03-2023, 09:28 PM
All Jesus statues should be armed.

Pepe
28-03-2023, 01:18 AM
Is it an actual woman?

Well lol.

Spikey M
28-03-2023, 07:04 AM
Is it an actual woman?

:rosebud:

Ben
28-03-2023, 05:45 PM
Kicking off in France. :drool:

Alan Shearer The 2nd
28-03-2023, 07:36 PM
This bodycam footage is intense-

https://twitter.com/SaraGonzalesTX/status/1640722840319143938?s=20

randomlegend
28-03-2023, 07:49 PM
Comments are unhinged.

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 08:17 PM
They need armed guards in schools ASAP.

Spikey M
28-03-2023, 08:25 PM

https://i.ibb.co/wJ1nScf/x1080.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/gy6nQT2/37699806-img-orange-county-hotel-security-guard-arrested.jpg

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 08:28 PM
He looks about 12, I'd be pitching it at older cops/security professionals with a clean record (or at least what constitutes one in 'Murica).

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 08:29 PM
Or they could just leave things as they are, those thoughts and prayers are a powerful deterrent after all.

Jimmy Floyd
28-03-2023, 08:46 PM
Kicking off in France. :drool:

The great strategist Manu strikes again. They have to date escaped from Le Pen and Zemmour but they will soon end up with such a person in charge as the country is just fundamentally broken (so are we, but fortunately our system has way more checks and balances, to the point where even a determined Boris Johnson can be turfed out fairly quickly). Probably time for the sixième république.

The French president was supposed to have been hosting King Charles for a day of pomp and ceremony on Monday, but had to cancel the state visit because of the demonstrations. French opposition politicians on the left and right said France’s image and diplomacy had been damaged by the last-minute cancellation.

Zut alors.

AJ23
28-03-2023, 08:49 PM
One of the best comedy routines of all time, and also very poignant. I don't think it can ever be shared enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0&ab_channel=JimJefferies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UFyNy-rw4&ab_channel=JimJefferies

Luke Emia
28-03-2023, 09:32 PM

I mean there is another much simpler answer which would solve probably 99.9% of these mass shootings.

By way of comparison when was the last one in the UK or any other European country?

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 09:40 PM
I mean there is another much simpler answer which would solve probably 99.9% of these mass shootings.

It's a simple answer for us as we're not only prepared to do it, we already have. It's not at all a simple answer for Americans though as it's clear by now that all children could be shot dead at school tomorrow and that still wouldn't be enough for a majority/those in power to accept proper gun control measures. They don't think like us - the death of children are acceptable collateral damage for them if it means keeping their 'freedoms', so you might as well suggest the tooth fairy as a solution - it'd be as likely to happen.

Lofty
28-03-2023, 09:44 PM

By way of comparison when was the last one in the UK or any other European country?

Christmas Eve.

The problem with armed guards at schools is as shown they aren't a deterrent or infallible. If you a deployed to a school with a sidearm and some maniac rolls up tooled up like they are going to do black ops work, we'd all like to think we'd die a hero but people never think it will be them that die in these scenarios, the reality shows true colours.

Rick Rescorla berated the cops at Columbine for their glacial response, rightly so. But not everyone is a mentalist who volunteers for Vietnam and lols at incoming fire. Everyone hopes they will be, but in practice it's rarely the case.

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 09:44 PM
And to add to that, this is at least the 377th school shooting since Columbine. We had our Columbine in Dunblane and that was it, one avoidable tragedy and it was game over for the gun rules at the time. Anyone still suggesting gun control as a way of stopping this happening after three hundred and seventy-seven school shootings not being enough to usher proper controls in is, well, insane.

Spikey M
28-03-2023, 09:54 PM
And to add to that, this is at least the 377th school shooting since Columbine. We had our Columbine in Dunblane and that was it, one avoidable tragedy and it was game over for the gun rules at the time. Anyone still suggesting gun control as a way of stopping this happening after three hundred and seventy-seven school shootings not being enough to usher proper controls in is, well, insane.

Well no, they're not. They're right. That's like saying "those saying the right thing for a Crack addict to do, is to give up Crack are insane".

It is the only solution to the problem in both scenarios. It is also a really fucking hard solution to achieve in both scenarios. But it doesn't change that fact.

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 09:55 PM
Christmas Eve.

The problem with armed guards at schools is as shown they aren't a deterrent or infallible. If you a deployed to a school with a sidearm and some maniac rolls up tooled up like they are going to do black ops work, we'd all like to think we'd die a hero but people never think it will be them that die in these scenarios, the reality shows true colours.

Rick Rescorla berated the cops at Columbine for their glacial response, rightly so. But not everyone is a mentalist who volunteers for Vietnam and lols at incoming fire. Everyone hopes they will be, but in practice it's rarely the case.

You don't deploy them with a sidearm and a hat, they get an assault rifle and kevlar. I agree that it wouldn't stop all of the shootings and it would probably cause a handful of instances of its own, but I can't see how it wouldn't be a significant net benefit overall.

Lewis
28-03-2023, 09:57 PM
I think 'school shooting' is some weird cultural thing at this point, and even if you managed to completely ban guns you would just get school frenzied stabbing or school attempted gassing, because the sort of people who do it do it for the newsworthiness of it. It's the same with how a lot of terrorism is actually quite crap on an objective killing level, but thrashing around at randomers with a knife is for some reason seen as the way to go.

Jimmy Floyd
28-03-2023, 09:58 PM
The USA will break apart rather than have gun control come in. Happened before and will happen again at some stage.

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 10:03 PM
Well no, they're not. They're right. That's like saying "those saying the right thing for a Crack addict to do, is to give up Crack are insane".

The gun control suggestion is a solution coming from a perfect World perspective and we don't live in one, so pragmatism is needed. By all means keep the lobbying going as times do eventually change, but they sure as shit aren't going to anytime soon, so what are you suggesting happens in the meantime? More thoughts and prayers?

Boydy
28-03-2023, 10:06 PM
The USA will break apart rather than have gun control come in. Happened before and will happen again at some stage.

Yeah, trying to take guns off them at this point probably kicks off Civil War 2.

That being said, they should definitely give it a go.

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 10:07 PM
And Spikey, you can't seriously be comparing the difficulty of giving up crack (which can and does happen) with the difficulty of bringing substantial gun controls into the US (which still hasn't happened after 377 school shootings)?

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 10:11 PM
Yeah, trying to take guns off them at this point probably kicks off Civil War 2.

If it does they really shouldn't, well not unless we want to accelerate the mandatory teaching of Mandarin in Western schools.

phonics
28-03-2023, 10:20 PM
You don't deploy them with a sidearm and a hat, they get an assault rifle and kevlar. I agree that it wouldn't stop all of the shootings and it would probably cause a handful of instances of its own, but I can't see how it wouldn't be a significant net benefit overall.

This is a psychopathic take. It's bad enough seeing them at their airports here. Imagine turning up to school as a 6 year old and some fat old cop is kitted up like he's about to bust down doors in Iraq.

Even if you did that in every school across America, who's to say said cop doesn't freak out and blast away some innocent person because they got scared. There's plenty of these sorts of incidents up and down the country. That's not even including the huge amount of cases where cops get mad that someone bumped their car off duty and decide to light up a random citizen. They'd end up airholing a 12 year old for giving them lip.

Boydy
28-03-2023, 10:21 PM
If it does they really shouldn't, well not unless we want to accelerate the mandatory teaching of Mandarin in Western schools.
注册我

phonics
28-03-2023, 10:24 PM
With the state of obesity as it is in the US a daily Mandarin might help tbh.

Jimmy Floyd
28-03-2023, 10:28 PM

Hard to imagine under what circumstances anyone could ever give it a proper go. They'd probably get assassinated, with a gun.

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 10:29 PM
This is a psychopathic take.

It's not. It's unpalatable in the extreme and not a fucking chance would I want to live in a World where my kids (if I had any) are going to a school like that, but if I had no choice would I prefer it to a World where they run the risk of facing a shooter and no one in the building has any way of fighting back? Abso-fucking-lutely.

That is the choice at hand here, at least in the short term (our lifetimes and beyond I'd imagine). And if you break it down what you're effectively saying if you're against it is that you'd prefer more deaths of kids over all of them being schooled in an environment where an extra from black ops is hanging around.

AJ23
28-03-2023, 10:35 PM
Answer to gun problems.

'We'll just add more guns'. :chortle:

Shindig
28-03-2023, 10:37 PM
If adverts are anything to go by, America's parents are more worried about their kids vaping.

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 10:42 PM
Answer to gun problems.

'We'll just add more guns'. :chortle:

Thoughts and prayers it is then.

niko_cee
28-03-2023, 10:58 PM
I doubt having an armed guard at a school would move the statistical likelihood of your child being killed in a school massacre very much, in the grand scheme of things, and would in all probability displace whatever tiny marginal gain you'd have on that front with an equally tiny chance of the guard going postal or accidentally shooting them.

You are right that there is probably no answer, but that line of thinking applies to more guns being the answer as well. It isn't.

Well, apart from actual gun control, that is the answer, but isn't on the table, so yeah, thoughts and prayers and RIP in pieces and all that.

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 11:01 PM
I doubt having an armed guard at a school would move the statistical likelihood of your child being killed in a school massacre very much, in the grand scheme of things.

This is the crux of any argument against it and I'd be curious to see any analysis on the subject, but my gut would suggest it would improve outcomes. If it didn't then we wouldn't have armed guards, well, anywhere.

niko_cee
28-03-2023, 11:04 PM
Well, we don't really, do we? You see the odd cop tooling about in airports with an MP5 or whatever but that's about it, where else do we have armed guards? Do the palace guards count? I guess they are strapped.

My point was more that the actual chance of being shot at a school is tiny. It would remain tiny with a guard.

Manc
28-03-2023, 11:06 PM
I think 'school shooting' is some weird cultural thing at this point, and even if you managed to completely ban guns you would just get school frenzied stabbing or school attempted gassing, because the sort of people who do it do it for the newsworthiness of it.

Nail on the head.

Shindig
28-03-2023, 11:08 PM
We've never been a gun nation, to be honest. The airport guard is more likely to tase than spray bullets.

Yevrah
28-03-2023, 11:21 PM
My point was more that the actual chance of being shot at a school is tiny. It would remain tiny with a guard.

Of course, but that isn't a reason to do nothing if a reduction could be achieved.

Pepe
28-03-2023, 11:36 PM
The last time the American Constitution was amended was in 1992.

phonics
29-03-2023, 12:47 AM
This is the crux of any argument against it and I'd be curious to see any analysis on the subject, but my gut would suggest it would improve outcomes. If it didn't then we wouldn't have armed guards, well, anywhere.

if the attack was targeted; total number of weapons brought to the scene; number of shooters; and weapon type. Results are presented as incident rate ratios in Table 2 (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2776515#zld200232t2) and show armed guards were not associated with significant reduction in rates of injuries; in fact, controlling for the aforementioned factors of location and school characteristics, the rate of deaths was 2.83 times greater in schools with an armed guard present (incidence rate ratio, 2.96; 95% CI = 1.43-6.13; P = .003).

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2776515

Yevrah
29-03-2023, 12:59 AM
I guess they can't account for the attacks that might have happened had a guard not been present, but nonetheless that's pretty damning and they do address that point. Thoughts and prayers are going to need to up their game.

Kikó
29-03-2023, 05:29 AM
At this point, you just gave to accept that kids being killed in school is something enough of America is cool with and move on. They value a gun more than their child (unless it's unborn then it is heavily protected).

We've had two shootings in a month in Hamburg (regular kind not at a school).

Spikey M
29-03-2023, 07:25 AM
And Spikey, you can't seriously be comparing the difficulty of giving up crack (which can and does happen) with the difficulty of bringing substantial gun controls into the US (which still hasn't happened after 377 school shootings)?

I think you're more than clever enough to see what I'm driving at. Solutions are often hard. Sometimes near impossible. But that's no reason not to try.

I think 'school shooting' is some weird cultural thing at this point, and even if you managed to completely ban guns you would just get school frenzied stabbing or school attempted gassing, because the sort of people who do it do it for the newsworthiness of it. It's the same with how a lot of terrorism is actually quite crap on an objective killing level, but thrashing around at randomers with a knife is for some reason seen as the way to go.

And yeah, this is spot on, but stabbings would be far less deadly and be far easier to stop and gas attacks and bombs are harder to make work. Right now the problem is that assault rifles are readily available and easy to use.

Jimmy Floyd
29-03-2023, 07:37 AM
Gun death stats are really stark. I don't know what French gun laws are, but they've had 2,000 deaths (all causes) in the last statistical year and we've had 162 with the same population.

America 37,000, and probably another combined 100,000 in the various Latin American countries where crime revolves around drug trafficking to America. Land of the free etc.

Ben
29-03-2023, 07:43 AM
I remember seeing a video of a kid who got turned away by the shops for alcohol, cigarettes and lottery but he managed to get a gun.

Lewis
29-03-2023, 07:33 PM
Their gun murder rate isn't particularly outrageous once you take blacks killing each other out of the equation, and, given the number of guns out there and the general gun culture, three-hundred school shootings is probably not that many if I'm right and it is a THING, which also suggests that it could be prevented in large part by removing the newsworthy aspects of it (although how you do that...). Really though lol who cares it's America.

phonics
29-03-2023, 07:40 PM
Literally the leading cause of death in children in the US is gunshots (19% of total deaths) so for some reason I don't think it's just 'blacks killing each other'. Gross, small minded take.

Lewis
29-03-2023, 07:46 PM
The last time I saw that statistic half of it was literally black teenagers shooting each other.

Yevrah
29-03-2023, 07:47 PM
I don't think anyone doubts school attacks are a THING, as with that many of them there clearly must be an allure to it other than the chance to use a gun (Charlie Brooker was commenting on this nearly 20 years ago, I'm sure many others would have been too), but with firearms so readily available what else are you going to use?

Spikey M
29-03-2023, 07:53 PM
The last time I saw that statistic half of it was literally black teenagers shooting each other.

Oh, well that's OK then...

Waffdon
29-03-2023, 09:26 PM
:lol:

What a mong.

Yevrah
29-03-2023, 09:36 PM
The Nashville PD deciding to release footage of the shooter firing out the school front doors and stalking the corridors looking badass is an absolute disgrace.

Lewis
29-03-2023, 09:50 PM
Oh, well that's OK then...

Not 'OK', but true. Two thirds of childhood gun deaths in the United States are homicides (most of the rest are suicides), and black children - who overwhelmingly aren't being killed by whites and Asians - are seventeen times more likely to be killed by a firearm than white children. If you remove their half (from something like fifteen per cent of that age group), you're left with a bunch of mostly white suicides and the odd school shooting.

Gross, small minded take.

AJ23
30-03-2023, 05:36 PM
For some reason, I have the urge to watch Gran Torino again this evening.

Don
31-03-2023, 09:54 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/31/cambridgeshire-shootings-one-person-still-held-as-two-freed-without-charge

What's this then? Daddy looks a bit of a gimp so what the hell has led to this act of retribution?

Spikey M
31-03-2023, 10:00 PM
Some sort of Custody drama.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1753265/Double-shooting-Josh-Dunmore-Gary-Cambridgeshire

Lofty
02-04-2023, 06:23 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65118681

One of them that twat who went there on holiday and got evacuated once already.