PDA

View Full Version : The House Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Josh
22-09-2015, 10:39 AM
We exchanged on our house yesterday with a moving date of next Monday. First time buyers so it's nice to get started and get a house we love. Buying a house is the fucking pits though, solicitors are cunts and sellers are cunts. Our estate agent was quite nice though and pretty helpful.

We are keeping our rental place for a month so we can get into the house and repaint the entire place, sand and finish all the floors, fit a new bathroom and other jobs that need doing. Going to be extremely busy the next month but it will be so worth it to have our own place and be able to have it exactly how we want it.

Anyone else buying/looking?

Chris
22-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Bought our first house last month, completely agreed about Solicitors being cunts. We were buying a new build and they still managed to nearly fuck it up. We ended up only having 3 days to get everything moved and then were going on holiday the week after moving. Meant we were living out of boxes for the first 3 weeks but finally got it all sorted this past weekend.

Quite nice having a new build not having to decorate etc. however there's things you take for granted when moving into a house somebody was in before as they usually leave things like mirrors and curtain poles. Also they didn't even put a TV aerial in :face:.

Benny
22-09-2015, 11:05 AM
My friends bought a house in these lush new converted flats/houses (it's weird), costs a fucking fortune though in soliciter fees and at one point they told the estate agents they were pulling out as the place was pissing them about too much, which funnily enough kicked the agents arses into gear and got it sorted that week.

No house buying on my horizon though, unfortunately.

Chris
22-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Yeah, we were going to be buying a house before the one which we ended up buying and threatened to pull out 3 or 4 times but never did (the missus really wanted it) when we eventually did pull out as we'd found a different house we wanted they called us the next day saying they were ready to exchange. We told them where to go.

Magic
22-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Estate agents are cunts too.

We bought last March, it was horrible. Its worth double what the flat was, so we subsequently doubled the mortgage, doubled insurance, doubled energy, doubled maintenance blah blah blah.

Let me tell you a 4.5% rate on a 40 year mortgage is not good.

Hoping to change to a much, much lower one when that fixed rate comes up in March, maybe a shorter term too. I've been overpaying this one slightly just to help.

Benny
22-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Yeah, we were going to be buying a house before the one which we ended up buying and threatened to pull out 3 or 4 times but never did (the missus really wanted it) when we eventually did pull out as we'd found a different house we wanted they called us the next day saying they were ready to exchange. We told them where to go.

Aye, it's a racket.

Last year they put the deposit down for the place, was told it would take a month or two to finish off (they were very newly built, with 'just the electrics' to fix), it got to June/July time and they still hadn't moved in. The final straw, and what shows it wasn't just them that they were dicking about, was when the company told them the annual maintenance fees would have to be raised due to the number of purchasers dropping. My friends promptly told them to get fucked and pulled out, the company who actually did the build rang to ask why they'd pulled out and basically sold the estate agents up the river for being lying cunts.

Demerit
22-09-2015, 11:29 AM

:groove:

Magic
22-09-2015, 11:42 AM
I didn't think I could back my claim up but there you go.

;)

Josh
22-09-2015, 11:52 AM

We bought last March, it was horrible. Its worth double what the flat was, so we subsequently doubled the mortgage, doubled insurance, doubled energy, doubled maintenance blah blah blah.

Let me tell you a 4.5% rate on a 40 year mortgage is not good.

Hoping to change to a much, much lower one when that fixed rate comes up in March, maybe a shorter term too. I've been overpaying this one slightly just to help.

That is a high interest rate! Ours isn't as high as that and we are ftb's. We have started with a 30 year mortgage and that's scary enough.

Stamp duty can suck my chode too. £4000 just on that.

Demerit
22-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I didn't think I could back my claim up but there you go.

;)

Technically I'm not an estate agent, I'm a businessman. So I'll let you off.

Chris
22-09-2015, 11:56 AM
That is a high interest rate! Ours isn't as high as that and we are ftb's. We have started with a 30 year mortgage and that's scary enough.

How much! What did you buy, a mansion?! We started on a 35 year mortgage I think, we're on about 2.5%, but that is variable.

Demerit
22-09-2015, 11:57 AM

Stamp duty is pretty ludicrous but it's better than the yearly land tax system in the states.

Matt
22-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Bought last December, wont be doing it again in a hurry. Solicitors and sellers were cunts, everything just dragged on and on for no reason, the sellers had already moved out. Then the day before we were due to complete the bank altered our mortgage offer and we had to pay another £7.5k on the deposit. Luckily we had it as we had some money saved to sort out the garden and to go towards starting to convert the cellar but take about stressful.

On the plus side it dropped the interest rate on the mortgage to 2.89% i think

Cellar conversion has now fallen behind a wedding in the pecking order as well though unfortunatley

Josh
22-09-2015, 11:58 AM
How much! What did you buy, a mansion?! We started on a 35 year mortgage I think, we're on about 2.5%, but that is variable.

280k for the house. 3 bed detached here in bury St edmunds.

Josh
22-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Bought last December, wont be doing it again in a hurry. Solicitors and sellers were cunts, everything just dragged on and on for no reason, the sellers had already moved out. Then the day before we were due to complete the bank altered our mortgage offer and we had to pay another £7.5k on the deposit. Luckily we had it as we had some money saved to sort out the garden and to go towards starting to convert the cellar but take about stressful.

On the plus side it dropped the interest rate on the mortgage to 2.89% i think

Cellar conversion has now fallen behind a wedding in the pecking order as well though unfortunatley

Yeah our chain was only 3 long and you wouldn't believe the delays. Conveyancing needs to be looked into my some governing body or something. I can't think of another industry that blanket treats their customers like shit and gets away with it as they all do it.

Demerit
22-09-2015, 12:07 PM
In the process of refurbishing a house, bought it at auction last year for £197,500 as it was subsiding.

Had a result because it was a drains issue which was resolved for a few thousand rather than a £30,000 underpinning job.

Lined up a tenant for it to move in early November then will look at re-mortgaging in the spring as it'll be worth circa £365,000 at that point (£340,000 now) and buying the next one.

Property development is easy.

Demerit
22-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Yeah our chain was only 3 long and you wouldn't believe the delays. Conveyancing needs to be looked into my some governing body or something. I can't think of another industry that blanket treats their customers like shit and gets away with it as they all do it.

It's because they get paid regardless.

And you can't make it so that they're incentivised to make sure the transaction completes because it would be a conflict of interests.

What needs to happen is for the entire process to be revolutionised and for all surveys, searches and enquiries to be raised and answered before an offer is accepted. Then on acceptance of the offer you exchange contracts and set a completion date.

It's how it works absolutely everywhere else. But we English are tight cunts and don't want to pay anything upfront because we're used to not having to.

They tried to introduce it with HIP packs but they only did half the job and people were still unprepared the pay a few hundred quid for those to be produced.

Estate Agents get 90% of the blame when the shit hits the fan, but it's the solicitors that fuck things up most of the time.

Josh
22-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Our estate agent was very helpful and seemed to be the only one that wanted the exchange to happen. It is very strange the way it works in the UK

The first thing that might help is entering this century and actually using a web based portal for all enquiries, searches and surveys. The amount of times queries were raised by sending a letter was ridiculous.

Magic
22-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Ours was clueless, our solicitor was excellent on the other hand.

igor_balis
22-09-2015, 12:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRqkDSgGtKc

This is the state of the kitchen when I came back after a few weeks back home. :eyemouth:

SvN
22-09-2015, 12:51 PM
The fact that you actually videoed it is pretty hilarious.

igor_balis
22-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Is it?

Andy
22-09-2015, 04:11 PM
In the process of refurbishing a house, bought it at auction last year for £197,500 as it was subsiding.

Had a result because it was a drains issue which was resolved for a few thousand rather than a £30,000 underpinning job.

Lined up a tenant for it to move in early November then will look at re-mortgaging in the spring as it'll be worth circa £365,000 at that point (£340,000 now) and buying the next one.

Property development is easy.

Property development is easy, finding the right place is the hard bit. Sounds like you where incredibly lucky about the subsidence issue.

I tarted up a house for someone last year who bought the house for the land and three years down the lines wa going to knock the house down a build a massive great place. After I spent a month there (decorating, new bathrooms, some electrics, new worktops and some tilling) he had the house valued and the agent said it was worth 45-50k more.

Magic
22-09-2015, 04:12 PM
The fact that you actually videoed it is pretty hilarious.

Not only that but he went through making a new YouTube account and uploading it, just for this. What a fucking fart of a human being.

Magic
22-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Actually guys, here's what we need done:

New Eaves and Guttering: £2-3,000
New Kitchen: £7,000
New Bathroom: £5,000 (?)
New Flooring and carpets throughout: £1,500 (?)
New Boiler eventually: £3,000
Upstairs Rear windows replaced: £1,000

I'm just thinking, there's no way we'll get all this back. So do we just sit tight, pay the mortgage off and then buy again? Only issue is that's another £7k for moving (fees, stamp etc) plus a bigger mortgage and all the hassle.

But we could buy somewhere that needs nothing done.

EDIT: It doesn't NEED done, the only thing that needs done is the Eaves but everything else is tired and 90s style.

Andy
23-09-2015, 12:13 PM
£12,000 for a bathroom and kitchen is nuts, you could something really nice for half that down here.

Unless you want top end stuff like solid oak or granite that's ridiculous.

Giggles
23-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Me and the Mrs had a long chat the other night and both came to the conclusion that we will never own a house in this country as it's impossible currently. So we have decided to quit saving for it and put more money into the wedding and honeymoon and take things from there.

Magic
23-09-2015, 12:24 PM
£12,000 for a bathroom and kitchen is nuts, you could something really nice for half that down here.

Unless you want top end stuff like solid oak or granite that's ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? New (and additional units), new oven, tiling, flooring, new sink, lighting etc

The £6,000 for bathroom was just a guess by the way, I'm not sure how much a bathroom would cost.

Josh
23-09-2015, 12:37 PM
We are spending 3.5k on our new bathroom which is a complete refit including underfloor heating, separate bath and shower and heated mirrors etc. This is without fitting as we are doing that ourselves but £6k seems a lot considering we are going for a comprehensive refit.

Also budgeted 3.5k on a kitchen refit (painting cupboards instead of new ones though) including new solid oak worktops and range cooker, new washer dryer, dishwasher and new flooring and tiling. So if you were to do a complete refit it wouldnt be much more than that. Helps to me able to do it yourself though (or know family who can).

Magic
23-09-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm just going off my mate spending 6k on what seemed to me to be a pretty small and average looking bathroom.

But 3k sounds better. Still a drop in the ocean compared to all the stuff we need to spend. I also forgot to mention the removal of a load-bearing wall at circa £1,000.

Josh
23-09-2015, 12:40 PM
I added info on a kitchen in an edit too Magic in case you missed it.

Magic
23-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Yeah we'd definitely be paying labour costs.

Pepe
23-09-2015, 12:43 PM
I like Moloko.

Magic
23-09-2015, 12:43 PM
I've just checked and we'd need to spend another £53,000 to buy a house (allbeit detached) in better condition than ours in this area. But we won't add £20,000 to our house value with all that work, maybe £10,000 at the most. Hmm.

igor_balis
23-09-2015, 12:44 PM
I only videoed it to show you lot, and the youtube channel is an old one I hadn't used until now. Cunts.

Magic
23-09-2015, 12:46 PM
This is like that time I videod my boiler condensate pipe fix when it was like -25C outside.

Despite all my band videos, it was the most viewed video by a fucking mile on my account. :face:

igor_balis
23-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Next time I see something a bit messy in my flat I can guarantee I won't be sharing it with you ungrateful pricks.

phonics
23-09-2015, 12:54 PM
I liked it igor.

I didn't actually but I'm in standing by people mode after last night.

igor_balis
23-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Cheers Phonics, you cunt. I thought I had your collective psyche somewhat worked out, but clearly chat about mortgage rates and itemised kitchen costs are favoured over my excellent homemade videos. So much yet to learn.

Toby
23-09-2015, 01:16 PM
I thought a video was the best way to show the state of the place, which is disgusting btw. I wasn't very clear, is that how you left it before going away or is that what has happened in your absence? Either way, somebody needs shooting.

Chris
23-09-2015, 01:36 PM
So as part of our buying a new house we have to produce a "snag list" of all things that we need the builders to come back and look at. Has anyone had any experience with this before? What kind of things should be included, for example they've left quite a lot of splashed paint over the patio doors now we could just clean it off ourselves in maybe half an hour, but the missus dad thinks we should get them back to do it. His thoughts were you wouldn't buy a new car with paint on it so why would you a house.

wullie
23-09-2015, 01:41 PM
If you've got a warranty on a new house use it at every opportunity and get every tiny imperfection looked at. Her dad has it right.

igor_balis
23-09-2015, 01:55 PM
I thought a video was the best way to show the state of the place, which is disgusting btw. I wasn't very clear, is that how you left it before going away or is that what has happened in your absence? Either way, somebody needs shooting.

Both really. It was a tip when I moved in, a tip before I went on holiday, and the video shows what it was like when I got home. One of the two flatmates is an old friend and I'm the newcomer, so at first I tried to be subtle and jokey about telling him to sort it out, but obviously that didn't work.

I tried to be a bit more firm when I got back - I said tidy the fucking kitchen cus I can't cook food in there, but he just said that there was some clean stuff in the cupboard, so I could really. I guess he got me on a technicality. I said I didn't give a shit, it was disgusting. Four hours later he'd like, cleaned 3 plates, leaving the rest of it there. I feel like I'm being trolled in real life, and I know the obvious answer is to move out or kick his head in, but I've known this cunt since we were 5. Not sure what to do, really.

Demerit
23-09-2015, 02:01 PM
So as part of our buying a new house we have to produce a "snag list" of all things that we need the builders to come back and look at. Has anyone had any experience with this before? What kind of things should be included, for example they've left quite a lot of splashed paint over the patio doors now we could just clean it off ourselves in maybe half an hour, but the missus dad thinks we should get them back to do it. His thoughts were you wouldn't buy a new car with paint on it so why would you a house.

Literally every minute detail no matter how much of a cunt you feel.

The quality of the finish on a new build is the most important thing when it comes to preserving and building the value.

Chris
23-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Thanks, I'll get extending the list then.

AE
23-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Stamp duty is pretty ludicrous but it's better than the yearly land tax system in the states.

Property tax is an absolute pain, most people forget to put that into their calculations.

Andy
23-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Thanks, I'll get extending the list then.

Everything and anything, the tradesmen who come in wont be pissed off as it is something that happens on every job.

Magic
23-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Andy how much for a joiner do you think to fit some custom wardrobe doors? Nothing fancy.

Andy
23-09-2015, 03:40 PM
£200-£300 I would have thought.

Magic
23-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Seriously? Surely it can't take any more than an hour to fit and maybe 1-2 hours to build? Materials = fuck all so shouldn't be any more than £150?

Andy
23-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Seriously? Surely it can't take any more than an hour to fit and maybe 1-2 hours to build? Materials = fuck all so shouldn't be any more than £150?

Must not fully understand what you're getting at. Usually looking at £200 for a days labour for a decent carpenter/joiner.

Magic
23-09-2015, 04:05 PM
I actually have doors but it wouldn't take much to modify them from sliding to opening ones. It's a 6ft built in wardrobe I want to go from sliding doors to pully out ones.

Andy
23-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Oh I see. £150-200 sounds about right.

mo
23-09-2015, 08:54 PM
We bought an 111 year old house back in May, which we realised when we moved in needed a fair bit of work. We knew the roof would need doing (circa £6k), but there were loads of little things that needed doing - there were hardly any sockets, just fucking extension leads screwed to the wall! The house has been bodged to death over the years, which is hilarious as the previous tenant's father in law is fucking builder!

We're slowly working our way through each room in the house, living room is decorated, dining room next. Main bedroom after, so we're currently squatting in the second bedroom. It's time consuming and sometimes soul destroying, but will be worth it in the end.

Raoul Duke
23-09-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm looking to buy in the next few months. Will likely be a 2-bed flat (fuck London), but hopefully in a nice part of East London. Going to cost a fucking bomb but I should have a solid deposit.

I've got about £13k factored in for buying/moving costs (including stamp duty). Does that sound right?

Demerit
23-09-2015, 09:49 PM
I'm looking to buy in the next few months. Will likely be a 2-bed flat (fuck London), but hopefully in a nice part of East London. Going to cost a fucking bomb but I should have a solid deposit.

I've got about £13k factored in for buying/moving costs (including stamp duty). Does that sound right?

You know the stamp duty, £13,000 should be more than sufficient. £1000-1500 on a decent solicitor plus disbursements (do not use an online conveyancing company or anyone based in Leeds, aka O'Neill Patient, Premier Property Lawyers, Enact. They're just conveyancing factories and you get a team of paralegals rather than a solicitor, it makes the transaction time double and massively increases the chances of it falling through).

Plus removal company (PM me closer to the time, there's a Finchley based one I can get you a £250 discount on), couple of hundred on a survey. £13,000 should be more than enough.

Magic
23-09-2015, 09:51 PM
That's disgusting. All in all it cost us about 7k to buy and sell.

Mike
23-09-2015, 09:52 PM

If you're like me get ready for weeks of going from joy and excitement to feeling really sick once you put an offer and stuff in. Well worth it though.

A mate of mine is looking for a place to rent, I've offered him my spare room at a discount compared to rent for flats near me. He's been to look at the room tonight, seemed keen enough.

Panda Bear
23-09-2015, 11:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VgM0rP1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HSZEwE9.jpg

Work in progress for the apartment. The Eames guest chair-inspired navy-grey chairs are fantastically comfortable. The other chairs will eventually give way when a couch comes in, but they're a '60s Danish vintage. The two tables are from my grandpa's car lot in the '50s.

Note the dining area has a scale and no food. It's an art installation based on anorexia.

TG09
23-09-2015, 11:33 PM
I bought my first home with the missus in Jan, nice place. Single floor, good size garden, three bedrooms. Kitchen needs to be replaced though, bit dated.
Got a builder mate, to put a a few 1.8m fences so the dog does not jump and run to the next door neighbours place to see there dog.

Spending a small fortune at the moment.

Raoul Duke
24-09-2015, 07:35 AM
You know the stamp duty, £13,000 should be more than sufficient. £1000-1500 on a decent solicitor plus disbursements (do not use an online conveyancing company or anyone based in Leeds, aka O'Neill Patient, Premier Property Lawyers, Enact. They're just conveyancing factories and you get a team of paralegals rather than a solicitor, it makes the transaction time double and massively increases the chances of it falling through).

Plus removal company (PM me closer to the time, there's a Finchley based one I can get you a £250 discount on), couple of hundred on a survey. £13,000 should be more than enough.

Cool - thanks for the info. I think I'm over budgeting a fair bit (I've got £1k as 'misc.' and one month's rent in my current place which I may not need, so that's around £2k extra). Stamp Duty is around half of that. I'll give you a shout about the removal stuff (providing Phonics hasn't killed the place with an upgrade :eyemouth:

That's disgusting. All in all it cost us about 7k to buy and sell.

I'm in London. Everything is ridiculously expensive.

If you're like me get ready for weeks of going from joy and excitement to feeling really sick once you put an offer and stuff in. Well worth it though.

I'm going through that now as I'm in the process of selling my mum's place, which I inherited. It's a gigantic pain in the arse and buyers are fuckwits. The whole process is set-up purely to benefit the legal/agent people and the buyers/sellers get screwed.

Josh
24-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Raoul this is what it cost us. Not London but 280k house and doing our own removals with borrowed van:

1 months extra rent - £775
extra bills from switchover - £200
stamp duty - £4000
valuation fee - £270
conveyancing including searches etc - £1010

Total - £6255

Demerit
24-09-2015, 08:23 AM
The whole process is set-up purely to benefit the legal/agent people and the buyers/sellers get screwed.

Sorry?

We don't get paid if it all goes to shit, and if it all goes smoothly (which is no mean feat) we take our 1% and fuck off onto the next one.

If it goes tits up the only people that it doesn't effect are the solicitors who get paid regardless.

Magic
24-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Yeah but they actually do work. We don't need estate agents it should be like autotrader where you sell it yourself and pay a nominal fee for advertising.

Demerit
24-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Yeah but they actually do work. We don't need estate agents it should be like autotrader where you sell it yourself and pay a nominal fee for advertising.

That's your opinion, it's going to take one vendor being raped by an applicant to put an end to that.

The selling it bit is not difficult, it's the three months afterwards where it could all go tits up. It's a bit different in Scotland, where an autotrader system could probably work. But in my opinion you need someone who knows what they're actually doing to keep on top of it, especially if there are complexities or chains involved.

And solicitors do work. Pull the other one. I come across a good solicitor once or twice a year.

Magic
24-09-2015, 08:45 AM
:D

I'm just winding you up. It's a good system in Scotland though where is the seller's responsibility to get the survey done and renewed if required.

Demerit
24-09-2015, 08:59 AM

I'm just winding you up. It's a good system in Scotland though where is the seller's responsibility to get the survey done and renewed if required.

The system in England is fucked.

What needs to happen is prior to marketing the vendor has to take care of the survey, searches and prepare an entire legal pack.

Then make it work like an auction system where it's legally binding on acceptance of offer.

At that point I'd completely agree that anyone could sell their own house.

So I hope it never changes :rosebud:

Although to be fair, if the vendor is paying for all of those things anyway, the selling costs will be close to what they're paying an agent any way, it would just add more security.

wullie
24-09-2015, 10:18 AM
We're looking into buying a new build, which I still think feels way too grown-up but then it turns out that even the shittiest mortgage we'd get would see me shelling out less per month than I currently do in rent anyway, with the added bonus that I'd be able to nail stuff into the walls and have them a different colour than beige if I fancied it.

Mike
08-10-2015, 06:33 AM
Any home owners rented a room out?

My mate had been talking about moving, he rents a flat with someone who's never there so I offered him my spare room. He's coming the end of the month.
He's going to be paying less rent than he does now because I'm nice, he'll still be paying more than my mortgage payments are :D

We're looking into buying a new build, which I still think feels way too grown-up but then it turns out that even the shittiest mortgage we'd get would see me shelling out less per month than I currently do in rent anyway, with the added bonus that I'd be able to nail stuff into the walls and have them a different colour than beige if I fancied it.
Congrats :)

Benny
08-10-2015, 08:00 AM
Had our application for a lush flat rejected, as we're both new in our jobs. Fucking annoying really, as it's not like we were sacked from the last place, we just happen to have had new jobs within a short space of time within each other (both holding our previous jobs for three years +).

The gutting thing is, there's not going to be many flats like that where we're looking. Feel like we've missed a gem, compared to the other shit available.

Boydy
08-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Was that to buy, Benny?

phonics
08-10-2015, 08:30 AM
How does Benny go from steady girlfriend to steady girlfriend while I've been single pretty much the entire time I've noticed him posting on this board :moop:

wullie
08-10-2015, 08:39 AM
I don't think I could do flats again, or at least none near Chinese students. Is door slamming part of the etiquette over there?

Benny
08-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Was that to buy, Benny?

No not buying yet, I've saved up enough for 10% deposit on a reasonable house round these parts but I'm in no rush to buy one until I'm with a girl I know I want to be with longterm. I can wait a couple of years and see if this relationship goes that long and then make that decision, but I'm eager to live with her prior to that.

How does Benny go from steady girlfriend to steady girlfriend while I've been single pretty much the entire time I've noticed him posting on this board :moop:

Bitches want to put a saddle on this bronco, can't avoid it.

Boydy
08-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Oh, I assumed buying as I didn't think having changed job recently would have stopped you renting.

Can't you even get a guarantor?

Magic
08-10-2015, 11:38 AM

Because you're an ugly loser that dresses like a male rape victim poster and Benny is a don.

Benny
08-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Oh, I assumed buying as I didn't think having changed job recently would have stopped you renting.

Can't you even get a guarantor?

I can get a guarantor if they'd have asked but when I mentioned to the guy showing us the place that we're both in new jobs, he said it wouldn't be a problem. I think the other applicants had been in their jobs for a long time, according to the agent, so they were chosen over us... It could be they're boring middle aged people and thought it would be a 'safer' option, who knows.

Benny
08-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Because you're an ugly loser that dresses like a male rape victim poster and Benny is a don.

Was expecting an insult by the end of the post, cheers bro.

:beer:

Raoul Duke
12-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Pretty good first time buyer guide here: http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/documents/FTBGuide2015.pdf

The Merse
12-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Pretty good first time buyer guide here: http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/documents/FTBGuide2015.pdf

Love Martin Lewis banging on about editorial freedom. MSE sold out to MSM ages ago. They're an aggregator for fucks sake, yet he continues under the same brand in the same ivory tower WITHOUT making the relationship clear in his main interest?

phonics
12-10-2015, 11:07 PM
I've just seen Jordan's place. It looks like where American Psycho would live.

Magic
24-10-2015, 10:30 AM
http://i58.tinypic.com/24dnb0k.jpg

Painting the window frame from 90s varnish to a nice white colour (eggshell gloss).

Keyed with fine sandpaper, 3 coats of undercoat, another fine sand and then 2 coats of the gloss. Two day job as I can't be arsed doing 5 coats in one day including the drying times.

Lee
24-10-2015, 10:41 AM
I've never given a shit about buying a house and doubt I ever will but if ever I'm tempted the idea of having to spend my time doing shit jobs like that will correct my position.

Magic
24-10-2015, 10:43 AM
I've never given a shit about buying a house and doubt I ever will but if ever I'm tempted the idea of having to spend my time doing shit jobs like that will correct my position.

Why is it shit? You're improving something that is yours, do you not think you'd get a tremendous sense of achievement? I'm that bad at D.I.Y when I actually do get something done it makes me very proud. Such a shit little job as well but honestly it will improve the bathroom no end, it's fucking ridiculous having this horrible varnished wood everywhere. Just wait until I tackle the skirting. :sick:

Lee
24-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Why is it shit? You're improving something that is yours, do you not think you'd get a tremendous sense of achievement? I'm that bad at D.I.Y when I actually do get something done it makes me very proud. Such a shit little job as well but honestly it will improve the bathroom no end, it's fucking ridiculous having this horrible varnished wood everywhere. Just wait until I tackle the skirting. :sick:

Not a criticism mate, if you like it you like it. It just isn't something I'd care about. I can't say I'd feel a sense of achievement but then I got that from eating home-grown tomatoes in an omelette last week and they were going to grow whatever I did with them so I'm in no position to judge. House stuff just bores me.

Magic
24-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Not a criticism mate, if you like it you like it. It just isn't something I'd care about. I can't say I'd feel a sense of achievement but then I got that from eating home-grown tomatoes in an omelette last week and they were going to grow whatever I did with them so I'm in no position to judge. House stuff just bores me.

Why are you browsing a thread purely about buying houses and D.I.Y then?

Lee
24-10-2015, 10:52 AM
It's called 'The House Thread'. I live in a house.

Magic
24-10-2015, 10:53 AM
I bet it's absolutely littered with Corona Pine and the occassional bit of Next/Oak Furniture Land furniture. :sick:

Lee
24-10-2015, 10:54 AM
I don't even know what that stuff is. :D

Magic
24-10-2015, 10:55 AM
I bet Laur does. She's probably got 3ft high piles of TESCO Home Living magazines at her bedside. It's probably blocking out the abortion of a love poem vinyl you've got on the wall.

Lee
24-10-2015, 10:59 AM
She has not. She might have that sort of thing somewhere but it's well hidden if so. She knows better than to engage me in that kind of conversation too. I leave her in charge of that stuff. As a result the house looks nice and our furniture is comfy. That's where my interest ends.

She did take me furniture shopping the other week and I wanted to buy a mulitcoloured suite so it's definitely better this way. Instead we have some grey suite coming next week. It was nice enough to sit on in the shop so it will do for me. The fit sales assistant made me a logely cup of tea as well.

Foe
24-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Any home owners rented a room out?

My mate had been talking about moving, he rents a flat with someone who's never there so I offered him my spare room. He's coming the end of the month.
He's going to be paying less rent than he does now because I'm nice, he'll still be paying more than my mortgage payments are :D

Congrats :)

Yep. I lived alone for the first 6 months then had a mate move in short term. He left and a month later another guy from work moved in. It gives you less control of how clean the flat is (which doesn't bother me too much as I give it a once over at weekends). Other than that I don't notice it much and I get an extra few hundred quid a month.

Might start ploughing some money into my mortgage if I'm not sacked in the next few months.

Mike
24-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Cool!

He's moving in next week, looking forward to it really, be cool to have someone to just up and go the pub with whenever I fancy. He's also pretty tidy from what I've seen. We've agreed that I'll clean up on a Saturday morning while he's at work and he'll clean up on a Wednesday while I'm at work. Sounds good to me.

Foe
24-10-2015, 12:52 PM
If you're both pretty clean it's not an issue. The guy I live with at the moment isn't much of a cleaner, but he tidies away his dirty dishes / dishwasher and bins often enough.

I actually quite like having the company too, it's very easy to slip into a lazy routine in the evening when you're by yourself.

Magic
26-10-2015, 11:07 AM
http://i58.tinypic.com/24dnb0k.jpg

Painting the window frame from 90s varnish to a nice white colour (eggshell gloss).

Keyed with fine sandpaper, 3 coats of undercoat, another fine sand and then 2 coats of the gloss. Two day job as I can't be arsed doing 5 coats in one day including the drying times.

http://i62.tinypic.com/65ocqb.jpg

All done. Looks better imo.

Mike
26-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Yeah, big improvement.

My flat is in new build and as it's settling it's starting to get a few cracks and stuff. I was expecting this of course. My plan is to start saving after Christmas and then during the summer holidays I'm going to get everywhere painted and looking fresh again. I'm not looking forward to it.

Boydy
26-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Now do something about those tiles, Magic. :sick:

Benny
26-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Yeah, big improvement.

My flat is in new build and as it's settling it's starting to get a few cracks and stuff. I was expecting this of course. My plan is to start saving after Christmas and then during the summer holidays I'm going to get everywhere painted and looking fresh again. I'm not looking forward to it.

A big load of new builds near me have begun to subside, as they were built on some old marshland. It's terrible really that they rush these projects to make a quick buck, then some poor first time buyer is going to move in to a place that won't last their life times.

Magic
26-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Now do something about those tiles, Magic. :sick:

I know the whole house is early 90s decor. The kitchen is atrociously similar.

Raoul Duke
26-10-2015, 09:21 PM
I've been out looking at flats/houses the last couple of weekends. Christ it's depressing. Ex-council shithole for £400k? O RLY?

Demerit - hook a brother up! :moop:

Mike
26-10-2015, 09:23 PM
A big load of new builds near me have begun to subside, as they were built on some old marshland. It's terrible really that they rush these projects to make a quick buck, then some poor first time buyer is going to move in to a place that won't last their life times.

This isn't anything like thank thankfully. Just little cracks as the plaster dries out and stuff.

mugbull
06-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Me and 6 friends leased a house this summer. We paid the deposit at the beginning of the summer. the lease ended 2 months ago, and we still haven't gotten our deposits back. The landlady has been giving us excuses over email but its been so fucking long and we want to take it up with someone she answers to. Who do we contact about this issue? Is it entirely dependent on the terms of the contract?

phonics
06-11-2015, 08:24 PM
For some reason I've been reading Mokbull posts as Mo posts for the last week. It's been a strange week.

Foe
06-11-2015, 08:38 PM
I really need to paint my gaff too. And put some proper tiles down in the bathroom.

Or put up shelves. I've lived here 13 months and done nothing but burn the kitchen work surface with a candle. :moop:

Alan Shearer The 2nd
09-11-2015, 03:43 PM
What are some of you lot doing mortgage wise? Fixed, tracker?

Mine's up for renewal after this 3 year deal ends this month and I can get a 5 year fixed deal for over £100 cheaper a month now. :dust:

SvN
09-11-2015, 03:56 PM
I'll be joining this thread soon. Had our first meeting with a bank this weekend and got a decision in principal for £270k.

Won't be buying until next August, but the wife is already glued to RightMove :uhoh:

Raoul Duke
09-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Welcome to a world of pain, SVN :moop:

wullie
09-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Doing a five year fixed rate which works out at my half being substantially cheaper than I pay now for rent. I'm telling myself I'll save the difference, but I'm not convincing.

Raoul Duke
09-11-2015, 07:34 PM
I think a longer-term fixed rate is sensible. It's surely going to go up at some point so having it tied to the interest rate is risky.

It's weird how much you can borrow vs. how much it would actually cost to repay. I swear some people must be living way over at the edge of what is affordable.

niko_cee
09-11-2015, 07:47 PM
The Bank of England have scotched a rate rise until 2017 at the earliest haven't they?

There's a very realistic possibility these incredibly low rates will (have) become the new normal. They've been rock bottom for what, 7 years? Society has become accustomed to them.

I've been floating all that time and every year it's all 'fix at 5 percent now!'. No thanks.

Magic
09-11-2015, 08:47 PM
My fixed rate is up in march, hopefully I can drop below the current 4.5%.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
09-11-2015, 08:58 PM
My fixed rate is up in march, hopefully I can drop below the current 4.5%.

That's what I've been at for 3 years and can get the deal I mentioned above at 2.69% I think it was.

Magic
09-11-2015, 09:01 PM
And that reduces it by 100pcm?

How much you owe/years?

Alan Shearer The 2nd
09-11-2015, 09:11 PM
And that reduces it by 100pcm?

How much you owe/years?

It'll be just under £101,500 and 22 years.

Magic
09-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Fuck mine is 154000 and 38 years. I'll see a much bigger drop but want to reduce my term.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
09-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Try running the numbers through this-

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mortgages/search/results/?goal=MOR_REM

When you asked how much I owe, I take it you were meaning currently and not from the start of the mortgage?

Magic
09-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Indeed I did.

Raoul Duke
09-11-2015, 09:50 PM
The more I look at it (and being in London you see a weird slice of the market) the more I think the wheels are about to come off.

I'd highly recommend fixing for as long as you can and also not over-stretching if you're thinking of buying. If (when) they jack up the interest rates it's going to fist a lot of people quite severely.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
09-11-2015, 09:51 PM
I've asked around but they can't really get much lower, can they? 5 years gives a bit of flexibility still.

Magic
09-11-2015, 10:04 PM
My word I can fix for 5 years at a low rate, shave 8 years off my mortgage and pay 111 quid less per month.

Baz
12-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Hello homeowners and suchlike.

If any of you are thinking of getting Sky TV, if you let me "refer" you, we both get a free £125 prepaid MasterCard. So if you were thinking of getting Sky anyway, you might as well get a Baz Bonus with it too eh?

Just fire me a PM and I'll send you a code to use at www.sky.com/125offer

Works even on the most basic of bundles.

Foe
20-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Thinking about over paying my mortgage a bit, anyone got any experience.

Reckon I could chuck 5 grand in comfortably and it should hopefully bring the interest down a bit.

Magic
20-11-2015, 07:38 PM
I overpay monthly.

Benny
20-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Still no luck finding a flat, seems to be a shitload of basement flats coming up at the moment, but of course they don't tell you that in the listing, rather they call it a 'ground floor' flat.

Foe
20-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Doing a quick google suggests I'm an idiot if I'm not paying a shit ton extra in whenever I can.

The interest saving gained by overpaying is :wub:

Going to see if I can work out the maximum I can chuck in.

Magic
20-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Usually it's 10k a year. God forbid you want out of debt early they even fine you heftily for that. Who wrote this system?

wullie
30-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Just had the mortgage approved, so we'll be celebrating by sitting in the dark and cold and saving money. Should have been done a while ago but Nationwide decided to only tell us after the application was sent that they only take on so many from a particularly geographical area at any time, so it's lucky they have a name that reflects such a policy. Dicksplashes.

Spammer
30-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Chatting to a mortgage bloke who recommended re-mortgaging every 5 years when the interest jumps up. Worth considering.

niko_cee
30-11-2015, 12:40 PM
What do you mean, 'when the interest jumps up'? It's probably not a bad idea, to be on the best deal possible, but then he would say that. Depends on your circumstances as well, really.

Raoul Duke
30-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Found a place we quite like so will go for a 2nd viewing this weekend and then hopefully put an offer in.

These estate agents for it are total helmets though. It's like you're putting them out by asking questions about the place you've seen for 20 minutes and are considering spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on :cab:

Magic
04-12-2015, 02:13 PM
So the company I spent 2.5k with getting new patio doors, kitchen windows and side door has went out of business, and my side door latch is stuck in so the door doesn't close. It needs the handle pulled up to bring out the additional latches to close. Fuck sake.

Magic
05-01-2016, 05:22 PM
I've just put shit in the attic, to be met with a puddle, a leaking window, nearly all the rafters on one side of the roof pishing wet.

$$$ :drool:

SvN
05-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Just pretend you didn't see it.

Magic
05-01-2016, 05:45 PM
I've been pretending for the past year and a half.

Byron
07-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Going back to the mortgage discussion this month. Anyone done Help to Buy? I'm wondering if it works for us because we've got a situation where my credit score is not good, we earn about £35k a year between us but because of her savings/parents, we've got a sizeable deposit available.

wullie
07-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Doing it at the moment in order to get in now rather than waiting to save a bigger deposit, with there being no loan fees for the first five years we're going to pay it all off by that point instead.

Weaver
07-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Along the same lines, what is the maximum (percentage) deposit for Help to Buy?

5% minimum is advertised all over, but I'm guessing if there's a minimum, there's a maximum too.

wullie
07-01-2016, 01:35 PM
I think you can theoretically go up to more than 50% deposit, but if you're near that point there's no point in getting a second loan alongside the mortgage.

Spoonsky
07-01-2016, 10:35 PM
Me and 6 friends leased a house this summer. We paid the deposit at the beginning of the summer. the lease ended 2 months ago, and we still haven't gotten our deposits back. The landlady has been giving us excuses over email but its been so fucking long and we want to take it up with someone she answers to. Who do we contact about this issue? Is it entirely dependent on the terms of the contract?

How was that? My friends have talked about doing that in the past, more as a pipe dream than anything else. I imagine it would be either amazing or terrible.

Boydy
07-01-2016, 10:52 PM
Living with friends is great.

Manc
07-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Living with a nagging bitch is better. Amirite, Magic?

Foe
16-01-2016, 11:23 PM
Doing a quick google suggests I'm an idiot if I'm not paying a shit ton extra in whenever I can.

The interest saving gained by overpaying is :wub:

Going to see if I can work out the maximum I can chuck in.

So I chucked in 5 grand before Xmas to count for last year. I've also chucked in another grand over the last few days based on a collection of coins I cashed (£250 :cool: ) and some Xmas money.

Still owe £130k mind. :(

Winning the lottery sometime soon would make this much easier.

Magic
22-01-2016, 07:32 PM
I've just put shit in the attic, to be met with a puddle, a leaking window, nearly all the rafters on one side of the roof pishing wet.

$$$ :drool:

So my roof has been condemned.

10k plus 2k for eaves. That's cash, by the way.

:cry:

Foe
22-01-2016, 07:52 PM
So my roof has been condemned.

10k plus 2k for eaves. That's cash, by the way.

:cry:

Woof. The joys of living in a flat.

Lewis
22-01-2016, 08:10 PM
That sort of outlay puts a divorce back about three years.

niko_cee
22-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Fucking hell.

Can't you get the insurance to pay for that?

Magic
22-01-2016, 08:58 PM
No. I've only got 3k saved up now somehow.

I could add it to the mortgage but I've asked my dad for a loan to be paid back as best we can.

Foe
22-01-2016, 09:35 PM
No. I've only got 3k saved up now somehow.

I could add it to the mortgage but I've asked my dad for a loan to be paid back as best we can.

What does condemned mean in this context? Is the house habitable?

Magic
22-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Yeah it just means it's only going to get worse and is unrepairable.

Boydy
22-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Will you have to move out for a bit while it's fixed/you get a new roof?

You could go live with the in-laws.

Raoul Duke
23-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Is this a new problem?

If not, is there not any recompense for claiming some sort of damages against the surveyor from when you bought it?

Giggles
23-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Imagine the threads if Magic moved in with the in-laws.

Magic
24-01-2016, 04:05 AM
Is this a new problem?

If not, is there not any recompense for claiming some sort of damages against the surveyor from when you bought it?

Dunno, it was a homebuyers report not a full structural.

Magic
27-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Fuck sake my mortgage isn't up for renewal until June this year. I thought it was March. Worse still I'll be in debt to my fucking father with this shithole roof, meaning literally anything I spend which he finds out about he'll comment with:

"You should be paying us back rather than spending it on X" even though we'll agree a minimal payment. Prisoner to him is slightly less worse than prisoner to the banks. And even at £150pcm it'll take 4 years. In to my 30s. Fuuuuuuck sake.

No holidays, no home improvements, just staying afloat. It really is a horrible thought.

Don Norberto
28-01-2016, 08:54 AM
I loaned some money from my gran because my parents would give me the same stick. She's perfectly fine with the slow payback "because you get the money eventually anyway".

Baz
28-01-2016, 08:58 AM
I've bought a fire. Can't wait to get rid of the old gas fire and old fashioned fireplace surround and black marble and replace it with what is essentially a massive screen that warms the room. :drool:

Plus when the marbles gone there'll be a gap in the laminate floor, so I'm finally carpeting downstairs. Good times.

Raoul Duke
28-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Carpet :gs:

Baz
28-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Just carried my fire in cos it was delivered to next door. Bloody heavy. Looked it up and it weighs 36kg. Can't see that staying up!

Magic
28-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Final quote £6875. Much better than I expected so I only have to borrow 3875. To make it nice and humiliating I had to beg to pay it over 2 years rather than 1 (because my sister did it over 1...who's husband is on about 80k a year, I'm shocked they borrowed money tbh).

Finally to further humiliate me they've asked my 14 year old sister to handle and maintain a spreadsheet with my monthly payments and any alterations. She's been told I'm saving up but don't want access to the money.

Kill me now. With fire.

Magic
28-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Oh and I'm meeting the guy in Morrison's car park tomorrow at 8 to hand over 4k in cash for the materials.

What could go wrong?

Boydy
28-01-2016, 08:41 PM
What's your sister's husband do?

Lewis
28-01-2016, 08:43 PM
He's a roofer.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
28-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Is he a knob? I've not had much joy with roofers compared to other tradesmen.

Magic
28-01-2016, 09:43 PM
What's your sister's husband do?

Loans businesses money. Investment portfolio something utterly boring but flash.

Magic
28-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Is he a knob? I've not had much joy with roofers compared to other tradesmen.

No I told you this on Facebook but you never listened.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
28-01-2016, 09:47 PM
I didn't even look above Boydy's post, thought Lewis was on about his brother in law. Disregard...

Mike
28-01-2016, 10:02 PM
20 months after moving into my flat I got myself light shades for the hall. Only the bathroom light to go then might light shade situation is finished.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/images/products/solleftea-pendant-lamp-shade-white__0372590_PE552925_S4.JPG
£4 bargain. I got two.

Magic
29-01-2016, 08:04 PM
So no sooner had I handed the money over than a guy was outside my house putting up scaffolding in hurricane force winds.

I don't feel as worried now. However I have no money at all as a just in case which I'm having palpations about.

Baz
29-01-2016, 08:32 PM
The old fireplace is gone.

http://i.imgur.com/MiNGquW.jpg

Gonna rip a channel out to fit a lintel (http://www.fourwalls-uk.com/blog/2011/03/11/the-chimney-opening-is-enlarged/) tomorrow. It's gon be dusty!

Mike
29-01-2016, 09:04 PM
By eck Dads been busy!

Magic
29-01-2016, 09:05 PM
I like to think there's at least one child's body buried in that crevice.

Baz
31-01-2016, 08:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/W0Ck0El.jpg

Giggles
02-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Get her bought Boydy.

http://www.u.tv/News/2016/02/02/Nuclear-bunker-up-for-sale-in-Ballymena-53299

Boydy
02-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Get her bought Boydy.

http://www.u.tv/News/2016/02/02/Nuclear-bunker-up-for-sale-in-Ballymena-53299

I had no idea Ballymena had such a thing. That's pretty cool. For that money you'd be able to buy a fucking mansion around here though.

Baz
04-02-2016, 07:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UjNkgQ4.jpg

It's getting there.

Baz
05-02-2016, 05:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7neqQjC.jpg

wullie
09-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Completion date pushed back from March 24th to getting the something certificate around April 18th, so probably mid-May. Only six weeks difference in reality, but feels like six months.

Magic
15-02-2016, 04:37 PM
So, all my money is gone, but at least the roof isn't fucked anymore:

http://i67.tinypic.com/i70xo6.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/316n8k1.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/s16s6u.jpg

Foe
15-02-2016, 04:57 PM
When Omar does his round the roof will be the least of your concerns. Should have just moved out the projects instead.

Magic
15-02-2016, 04:58 PM
No blacks in my area, mate.

Baz
22-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Fire and carpet are done:
http://i.imgur.com/y6eHOw0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zO2AcBL.jpg

What do you reckon?

Toby
22-02-2016, 06:07 PM
I hope new wallpaper is the next priority.

Baz
22-02-2016, 07:01 PM
That is the new wallpaper :stamford:

Raoul Duke
22-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Is it centred properly? The edges look different sizes, but it could be the perspective.

That wallpaper is atrocious :|

EDIT: phonics - the :| smiley is broken

Toby
22-02-2016, 11:42 PM
He changed it to
:serious: for some reason.

Raoul Duke
22-02-2016, 11:43 PM
:face:

Yevrah
23-02-2016, 12:56 AM
I like it Baz.

I wouldn't choose the same colour scheme myself, but then we're different people, so you crack on.

The fire looks ace.

Magic
23-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Fake fireplaces. :face:

Jimmy Floyd
23-02-2016, 09:41 AM
What is it? A radiator with a picture of a fire on it?

Spammer
01-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Stuck a bid in on a house this morning. Someone else had already put a bid in so now I'm being asked for a 'best and final offer.'

Anyone got any general advice on this kind of stuff?

Magic
01-08-2016, 05:29 PM
Go beyond what you can afford.

Foe
01-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Remember to put candles on coasters otherwise it'll burn the work surface.

Boydy
01-08-2016, 06:06 PM
How can you afford a house, Hammer? I thought you were still pissing about trying to become a counsellor?

Byron
01-08-2016, 06:11 PM
We're in the middle of buying a house ourselves at the moment and solicitors are indeed absolute helmets.

Our solicitors have been patiently waiting for the draft contracts and we're going to do this quickly, as we got the mortgage approved quickly but 3 weeks and nothing.

As soon as I call the sellers estate agents the woman there goes mental as the seller wants a quick sale and she calls their solicitors to find out the person in charge left and no one was looking at the case as it hasn't been properly handed over.

We'll probably still be in for early October which is fine as we want to move after the honeymoon, very little work to be done as well, just some sheeting on the conservatory that needed replacing and the seller had people round pretty much the day after the surveyor report to get it fixed. There is a bees nest in the wall but according to pest control it's been deserted for ages.

Did have a heart attack when I went slightly over the credit card limit last month but the mortgage advisor assured me things were fine as we had the full offer from the bank prior so full steam ahead.

mo
01-08-2016, 07:39 PM
We're in the middle of buying a house ourselves at the moment and solicitors are indeed absolute helmets.

Our solicitors have been patiently waiting for the draft contracts and we're going to do this quickly, as we got the mortgage approved quickly but 3 weeks and nothing.

As soon as I call the sellers estate agents the woman there goes mental as the seller wants a quick sale and she calls their solicitors to find out the person in charge left and no one was looking at the case as it hasn't been properly handed over.

We'll probably still be in for early October which is fine as we want to move after the honeymoon, very little work to be done as well, just some sheeting on the conservatory that needed replacing and the seller had people round pretty much the day after the surveyor report to get it fixed. There is a bees nest in the wall but according to pest control it's been deserted for ages.

Did have a heart attack when I went slightly over the credit card limit last month but the mortgage advisor assured me things were fine as we had the full offer from the bank prior so full steam ahead.

Useless wankers, solicitors. Still, sounds like the house is in good nick and the seller isn't a twat. Here's hoping things will start moving in the right direction now!

I started clearing out what we called the 'UKIP room' last week as its going to be our nursery (UKIP room because it was covered in Union Jack wallpaper) and found fucking polystyrene on the walls under the paper. Presumably to level out the horrible walls instead of paying money to get it plastered. Twats.

Spammer
01-08-2016, 08:04 PM
How can you afford a house, Hammer? I thought you were still pissing about trying to become a counsellor?

The house I'm looking at is 60k. I'm also working full time while retraining.

Foe
01-08-2016, 08:19 PM
The house I'm looking at is 60k. I'm also working full time while retraining.

Wanker. :mad:

GS
01-08-2016, 08:20 PM
60K? Is it a converted garage?

niko_cee
01-08-2016, 08:29 PM
It's in the north.

It's probably a 15 bedroom mansion. Or half a town.

Lewis
01-08-2016, 08:34 PM
I bet it's in quite a 'vibrant' area.

Spammer
01-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Its the area where the 7/7 bombers came from, so pretty vibrant.

Lewis
01-08-2016, 09:32 PM
That is actually a better selling point than Elland Road.

Spammer
02-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Walking distance from there too actually.

Magic
02-08-2016, 08:08 AM
Oh my lord you're actually buying in Beeston?

Spammer
02-08-2016, 08:15 AM
How'd you know it's Beeston? Have I mentioned that?

But yeah. I live there already.

Giggles
02-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Is that Beeston Nottingham?

Magic
02-08-2016, 08:21 AM
That's where ER is. I knew you stayed there now in rented accommodation but never thought you'd actually buy there.

Spammer
02-08-2016, 08:25 AM
No, Leeds. Hence Elland Road.

I didn't either, but I've got a lot of mates who have bought around here and 60k for a decently sized 2 bedroomed house (which can be converted to 3 if I chuck a grand or so at the basement) has convinced me. If I rent out the two other rooms I won't have to pay any mortgage or bills.

Giggles
02-08-2016, 08:33 AM
No, Leeds. Hence Elland Road.

I didn't either, but I've got a lot of mates who have bought around here and 60k for a decently sized 2 bedroomed house (which can be converted to 3 if I chuck a grand or so at the basement) has convinced me. If I rent out the two other rooms I won't have to pay any mortgage or bills.

Ah right. I can say it's grim then. I didn't like saying if you lived there.

Spammer
16-08-2016, 04:27 PM
The other bidder bid for an almighty 63.5k, so I'm bailing out.

wullie
28-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Inspection passed, NHBC certificate got! Moving in within two weeks, which is great but also a right arse considering the original completion date was Easter.

SvN
29-09-2016, 11:59 AM
I was about to call you a cunt for haggling over rent at your mum's, but then I read the rest of the post.

Giggles
25-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Bargain.

https://lovindublin.com/pics/pics-this-shed-in-lucan-will-cost-you-700-a-month-to-rent

Magic
26-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Going to get a quote for knocking down a load bearing wall to make a kitchen/diner. That's step 1 for basically re-doing the whole house.

Lewis
26-10-2016, 12:53 PM
That sounds like a lot of planning, mess, noise, expense, and stress. Why not just use the money on your divorce?

Byron
26-10-2016, 01:30 PM
We completed our purchase today :cool:

Should have the keys this afternoon, ready to move everything across on the Saturday. Then we go 2 fucking weeks without internet, because Rupert Murdoch is an arsehole.

Thankfully not much is needed in terms of work, the seller renovated the property before putting it on the market to maximise value and ended up selling for £170k (which is still below average for a 3 bed in Norwich), the result is we have a cracking conservatory and the wall to the dining room was knocked through so we have a massive open plan living room. In the future I think we'll put up a fencer in the garden to give us some privacy from the neighbours, the wife wants an extractor fan in the kitchen (which I don't think is needed but the price of the thing will scare her off) and the driveway needs to be ripped up and re-laid because it's uneven but otherwise we can move in and start 'living' right away.

Lewis
26-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Where is it? You could see Norwich properties becoming a lot more valuable (comparable to Bristol) if they improve the rail links to London.

Magic
26-10-2016, 01:49 PM
That sounds like a lot of planning, mess, noise, expense, and stress. Why not just use the money on your divorce?

It'll add the value on to the house equal to if not more than it costs.

Then I can sell it and pay for my divorce in profit.

wullie
26-10-2016, 02:00 PM
No internet yet at ours, although the site manager checked with BT as the switch is round the corner and they're laying their dirty pipe next week, so should be back in the 20th century within two weeks. Apparently the flats and houses almost gone up across the road will have a six month wait though, which would be like living in the stone age but with Neff ovens.

Byron
26-10-2016, 02:51 PM
Where is it? You could see Norwich properties becoming a lot more valuable (comparable to Bristol) if they improve the rail links to London.

Just off Hall Road, in the Lakenham area. We're hoping to add £20k-£30k to the value before we move again, as you say if they bring the rail links out of the 1920's there'll be real value in working in London.

Adamski
26-10-2016, 03:17 PM
One of the Chief Operating Officer's at a place I worked at previously used to commute in from Derbyshire to Canary Wharf every day. 3 and a half hours each way every day. Fuck that.

Lewis
26-10-2016, 03:23 PM
If they could knock half an hour off the journey they would be flying, since Liverpool Street is ideally placed for all the finance tossers (having been built specifically to link the City of London with the Great Eastern Railway network). But no mate let's run a fifty billion quid train to Birmingham.

SvN
26-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Went to view our first house today. What a fucking dive.

SvN
04-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Put an offer in on a house today at £250k.

It's on the market at £270k, and the estate agent said they'd already rejected an offer of £245k, and were hoping for £255k. But it's been on the market since July, and we're hoping that the fact we can move quickly will work in our favour.

Magic
04-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Hopefully it falls through.

SvN
04-11-2016, 12:41 PM
That's too try hard.

Magic
04-11-2016, 12:49 PM
I'm just glad such a successful, wealthy man is buying a house that's not worth that much more than mine but will be much smaller due to location.

Boydy
04-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Yeah but he actually likes his wife.

SvN
04-11-2016, 01:03 PM
I'm not particularly wealthy. I earn a decent salary, as does my wife. Our problem is lack of savings, because we blew them all last summer when we did our 6 week trip. Buying a house wasn't on the cards for another 6-12 months so we could save for a decent deposit, but getting a mortgage as a Managing Director is a lot more complicated, so I want to get it sorted before that's all signed.

Magic
04-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Yeah but he actually likes his wife.

This has no bearing on materialistic abodes.

Adamski
04-11-2016, 01:47 PM
I'm just glad such a successful, wealthy man is buying a house that's not worth that much more than mine but will be much smaller due to location.

ignoring that it will be significantly better primarily DUE to location?

Boydy
04-11-2016, 01:55 PM
This has no bearing on materialistic abodes.

Not true. He's much less likely to have to move out but continue paying for it.

Magic
04-11-2016, 02:10 PM
ignoring that it will be significantly better primarily DUE to location?

But I have 3 gardens and decking.

Jimmy Floyd
04-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Three gardens, all of them in Dundee.

Foe
04-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Hope it goes well SvN.

I had a conversation with my boss yesterday who was suggesting that now would be an ideal time for me to move If a decent role comes up. If that was the case, and I was quids in, I'd probably be looking to up sticks from the flat in the next couple of years.

Magic
04-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Three gardens, all of them in Dundee.

Broughty Ferry, actually.

phonics
04-11-2016, 03:12 PM
You're living on a house boat now? No wonder you're miserable.

SvN
04-11-2016, 03:24 PM
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55550434.html

Not bad

Spammer
04-11-2016, 03:25 PM
I'm gonna put a bit in now of £260k just to wind you up.

Magic
04-11-2016, 03:42 PM

Not bad

Show us a pic of what you've bid for.

SvN
04-11-2016, 04:05 PM
No way am I giving away my address.

It's not as nice as that, though. Probably about the same size.

Magic
04-11-2016, 04:06 PM
No way am I giving away my address.

It's not as nice as that, though. Probably about the same size.

Just post a pic with a couple of cocks drawn either side, Google image won't be able to match that.

SvN
04-11-2016, 04:12 PM
I'll post it if the offer gets rejected.

Magic
04-11-2016, 04:13 PM
You're a total wrong 'un.

Adamski
04-11-2016, 04:30 PM

Not bad

That's at least got character. Magics will be a new build flat pack soulless keeping up with the Jones/pleasantville hybrid.

Magic
04-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Not at all.

Adamski
04-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Let's see.

Magic
04-11-2016, 05:26 PM
I've posted my house on here before. It's not my fault Tinypic doesn't work/I've lost my Dropbox photos from Feb 2016/you don't have a photographic memory.

Lewis
04-11-2016, 05:40 PM

Not bad

Water and railway views. If that was somewhere actually nice... :drool:

Magic
04-11-2016, 05:43 PM
That is nice you freak.