PDA

View Full Version : The House Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Lewis
04-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Isn't Dundee in Scotland?

Magic
04-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Broughty Ferry, for fuck's sake. And no, it's like Monaco.

Magic
04-11-2016, 05:48 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-30096726

http://dundee.stv.tv/articles/288450-broughty-ferry-named-nicest-neighbourhood-in-scotland-2015/

http://lauriebidwell.blogspot.com/2016/06/broughty-ferry-beach-is-awarded-2016.html

"Formerly a prosperous fishing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_industry_in_Scotland) and whaling (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Scotland) village, in the 19th century Broughty Ferry became a haven for wealthy jute (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jute) barons, who built their luxury villas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa) in the suburb. As a result, Broughty Ferry was referred to at the time as the “richest square mile in Europe”.

:drool:

SvN
04-11-2016, 05:59 PM
2014. Presumably before you moved there.

Magic
04-11-2016, 06:02 PM
I moved there in March 2014. And the awards just keep racking up.

Adamski
04-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Do you genuinely class it as a nice place to live?

Magic
04-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Of course I do. There's little job opportunity but the schools are excellent, the area is gorgeous and the people are mostly rich. It's epic.

Adamski
04-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Interesting, I haven't spent much time in Dundee (and none in Broughty Ferry) but I have met a lot of people who live down here who couldn't wait to escape.

I'd rank it second bottom only to Inverness in the Scottish cities scale.

Edit: is it not also the case that people there are rich because they live there? i.e igor could move to India and buy a castle if he wanted.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
04-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Do you genuinely class it as a nice place to live?

Broughty Ferry is very nice to be fair. There to Carnoustie (where I am) is all pretty pleasant, It's when you get to Arbroath that things take a proper turn for the worse.

Foe
04-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Interesting, I haven't spent much time in Dundee (and none in Broughty Ferry) but I have met a lot of people who live down here who couldn't wait to escape.

I'd rank it second bottom only to Inverness in the Scottish cities scale.

Edit: is it not also the case that people there are rich because they live there? i.e igor could move to India and buy a castle if he wanted.

You're an idiot. Inverness is great. Better than the shit hole that is Glasgow. Unless you like the majority of your city being full of junkies, drunks and / or sectarian bastards.

Aberdeen isn't great either mind.

Adamski
04-11-2016, 07:01 PM
You're an idiot. Inverness is great. Better than the shit hole that is Glasgow. Unless you like the majority of your city being full of junkies, drunks and / or sectarian bastards.

Aberdeen isn't great either mind.

Clearly quite a lot of people do enjoy that very accurate summation of Glasgow...

Magic
04-11-2016, 07:29 PM
If we're doing city centre/culture then it has to be:

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Dundee/Perth
Inverness
Aberdeen

If it's the cities as a whole including suburbs:

Edinburgh
Everything else

If we're

Foe
04-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Is there anything in Perth? I assumed it was just roundabouts and service stations.

Edinburgh >>> all.

Magic
04-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Yeah it's quite good in the centre.

Baz
04-11-2016, 10:41 PM
No way am I giving away my address.Yeah I'm glad my "thinly veiled I'm buying a house" thread went down with the old board, because I live in one of the houses I posted in there. :cab:

SvN
17-11-2016, 03:19 PM
Magic will be pleased to hear that it fell through. Our offer was declined, then accepted a week later, then declined again a few days later. We've told the estate agents not to bother contacting us if she changes her mind again, the useless bint.

We've got an offer on a different place now which we rate higher than that, so all is good. £15k below asking price, but the estate agent tells us that she accepted an offer 1 or 2 grand above ours a few months ago and it's just fallen through, so they reckon she'll go for it.

Adamski
17-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Estate agents are cunts though, remember Demerit?

Magic
17-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Magic will be pleased to hear that it fell through. Our offer was declined, then accepted a week later, then declined again a few days later. We've told the estate agents not to bother contacting us if she changes her mind again, the useless bint.

We've got an offer on a different place now which we rate higher than that, so all is good. £15k below asking price, but the estate agent tells us that she accepted an offer 1 or 2 grand above ours a few months ago and it's just fallen through, so they reckon she'll go for it.

Let us see it then.

Magic
23-11-2016, 11:24 AM
So getting builders up to see about opening our kitchen and dining room up in to a kitchen/diner on Friday. Not sure whether it's a structural wall or not so the price difference could be massive.

Magic
23-11-2016, 11:33 AM
I've also just found out my washing machine load capacity is only 5.5kg. What's the dealio with that? Piece of shit.

wullie
23-11-2016, 11:49 AM
We got a 9kg monster of a machine so I've taken to stuffing a load of tissue in pockets to fill up the wash and make it worth it, and also for a tension-packed Sunday.

Adamski
23-11-2016, 12:52 PM
So getting builders up to see about opening our kitchen and dining room up in to a kitchen/diner on Friday. Not sure whether it's a structural wall or not so the price difference could be massive.

I'm looking at buying a new house in the next year or so and really want a kitchen diner as a dining room is such a waste of space. We've got an open plan living room dining room at the moment and we barely use it. Interested in cost although obviously it will be more expensive down in the developed world.

Magic
23-11-2016, 12:58 PM
I'll let you know. We need new flooring as well in the immediate term but long term it's a new kitchen and all the shit that comes with.

Adamski
23-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Are you in a what would be classed as a new build? i.e post 1990 Barrat/Persimmon houses.

We bought brand new about 4 years ago and while it's awesome as everything is new and shiny and well insulated it's got fuck all character or uniqueness about it. Been looking at some cracking semi detached sandstones in the south of Glasgow which look great albeit about 50k plus more and come with all the drawbacks of an older house.

Magic
23-11-2016, 02:37 PM
No, 1960s.

Shawlands?

Adamski
23-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Shawlands would be ideal, maybe a little bit further out in Giffnock/Clarkston.

SvN
23-11-2016, 02:51 PM
I'm budgeting 8k for a bathroom refit once we move into our new place. Is that realistic? I've plucked the number mostly from the air and a bit of googling.

Magic
23-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Shawlands would be ideal, maybe a little bit further out in Giffnock/Clarkston.

Nice. Good luck. Those bastards are monstrous to heat.

Magic
23-11-2016, 03:40 PM
I'm budgeting 8k for a bathroom refit once we move into our new place. Is that realistic? I've plucked the number mostly from the air and a bit of googling.

Depends on a number of things really (mainly plumbing and heating systems).

My mate got a new bathroom for his place for 10k but it was really nice.

I for instance would need a new heating system before upgrading my bathroom which obviously fucks any sort of reasonable price.

Magic
25-11-2016, 04:49 PM
Absolutely get to fuck. We just had the joiner round for the wall and he said we needed a building warrant from the council. So I phone up the most unhelpful bastards in the world who said I needed a thousand things submitted before they'll even think about approving anything.

So basically I need an architect, a structural engineer, the council permit and then the joiner. That's probably about £400 odd quid at least before any of the cunts lift a physical finger.

Spikey M
25-11-2016, 04:56 PM

Depends on if there's any undetected issues and the quality of bathroom you want.

We hed 5k for a new Kitchen here and spent the lot. We still need to sort out the floor and walls n'all. 5k should have been enough but there were plumbing issues and we needed a gas fitter bloke we hadn't budgeted for.

In short, add a few grand on to any quote you get

Spikey M
25-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Absolutely get to fuck. We just had the joiner round for the wall and he said we needed a building warrant from the council. So I phone up the most unhelpful bastards in the world who said I needed a thousand things submitted before they'll even think about approving anything.

So basically I need an architect, a structural engineer, the council permit and then the joiner. That's probably about £400 odd quid at least before any of the cunts lift a physical finger.

A bird at my work wanted a drop curb put in. 2 grand it cost her after all the fucking planning permission.

Magic
25-11-2016, 05:24 PM
It's a joke but I do get it. I need this bit of paper otherwise I couldn't sell my house.

At least it gives me the opportunity to have some on-site engineering banter.

Adamski
25-11-2016, 05:42 PM
It's a joke but I do get it. I need this bit of paper otherwise I couldn't sell my house.

At least it gives me the opportunity to have some on-site engineering banter.

Are you expecting them to send two engineers?

Magic
25-11-2016, 05:43 PM
No, I expect them to die!

wullie
28-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Openreach have advised that the duct work has complete, The New sites team will need lay cables underground to connect your home to the existing network. This is external work at this stage no access to your property is required.

Once the cable has been run through the ducting, Openreach can start attaching it to their current network, using a jointing engineer, to provide a service to your property.

Anyone know how long this kind of thing takes?

Magic
28-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Anyone know how long this kind of thing takes?

Presumably that's for copper service?

wullie
28-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Plain old broadband yeah, think fibre is waiting until the whole site is done.

Magic
28-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Could be a while. They are fucking useless. Longest I've seen is about 3 months, not including the 3 months it took them to fix it after it was installed and marked as 'complete'.

wullie
28-11-2016, 05:26 PM
I think BT might have actually done all their stuff because I just got an email from Sky confirming the setup on the 13th, which is about as quick as you can normally get one of their engineers out. Two months is longer than I'd expected but could be worst, the block of six flats across the road is about a week or two from completion but because of how BT do whatever they the site manager told me it'll be at least six months before they and the houses beside them get a connection.

Giggles
28-11-2016, 07:40 PM
350 notes a month for half a bed.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/258883527594842?view=permalink&id=724877054328818

Spikey M
28-11-2016, 07:46 PM
The amount Mahow would pay for a webcam in that room. :drool:

Lewis
28-11-2016, 08:07 PM
'Brian O Gorman' looks like he's got it covered.

Giggles
28-11-2016, 08:07 PM
'Brian O Gorman' looks like he's got it covered.

He screams 'rapey'.

wullie
07-12-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure what Sky plan to come over and do on the 13th, as I set the router up so it's all in place and switched it on and the connection due to be activated next week already works. If we can all secretly get our own internets working without help I'm putting Henry out of a job.

Foe
07-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Knocked 8 years off my mortgage term when I re mortgaged earlier this week. :drool:

Adamski
07-12-2016, 10:15 PM
Decent. Ours got valued at 30k more than we paid so we just opted to drop our monthly payments with a view to buying somewhere else late next year.

Dquincy
18-12-2016, 08:37 AM
As mentioned in my other thread, I may be moving to a new house, subject to negotiation. I shall be mortgaging myself up to my eyeballs if i do.

Foe
18-12-2016, 10:19 AM
As mentioned in my other thread, I may be moving to a new house, subject to negotiation. I shall be mortgaging myself up to my eyeballs if i do.

Congrats!

What does that mean in real terms? Paying off until retirement?

Magic
18-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Pics?

mo
18-12-2016, 10:53 AM
We bought a new front door the other day. I say bought, we won't actually pay anything til April 2018, which is handy because we can't afford the monthly payments at the moment with my wife on maternity. My pay is just about to go up (backdated 2 months) and when she goes back to work in Easter we'll be back to something approaching normality, so can start saving up.

Dquincy
19-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Congrats!

What does that mean in real terms? Paying off until retirement?

Thanks.

Yep! Unless i keep earning more so can pay it off quicker. If I earn less I'm up shit creek.

Anyone into mortgages on here?

And Magic, no pics. Madman.

Giggles
19-12-2016, 10:09 PM
Just seen a TV show say that a decade ago you needed an average of 3.2 times your salary to buy a house here. Now it's 6.6 times.

:(

Pen
19-12-2016, 10:23 PM
We finally bought our own place four weeks ago. We got loan offers from a few banks (went to 5 or six in total to make sure we got the best possible deal) and even though they did fuck up a few times everything is now in order and the new place is finally starting to look like a home as we got the last big items delivered today. Obviously we're still missing a few things but the area is lovely and we couldn't have afforded the area in a few years when they start building the tram tracks over the sea. Now we just have to keep paying the bank for the next 25 years.

Adamski
19-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Congrats Pen, where is it?

Manc
20-12-2016, 01:01 AM
Bit the bullet and advised my landlord I want out asap. Contractually I haven't a leg to stand on, but it's worth a shot.

Pen
20-12-2016, 07:34 AM
Congrats Pen, where is it?

I live in Helsinki, so the area won't probably tell you much, but the area is called Kruunuvuorenranta. 78m2 with two bathrooms (the bigger one has a decent size sauna) two bedrooms (with an option for one more) and a massive livingroom kitchen combo (that's open kitchen in English I think). Obviously we're both super happy.

Edit: oh and it's brand new we moved in a few days after everything that was needed was done, but they're still doing something outside with the yard and such.

Dquincy
20-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Congrats, Pen.

Does it have a garage for the huskies and sled?

Giggles
20-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Bit the bullet and advised my landlord I want out asap. Contractually I haven't a leg to stand on, but it's worth a shot.

Is there a back story to this?

Pen
20-12-2016, 07:48 AM
I guess they could be kept in the storage room we have on the ground floor. It's an apartment building so it's that or the balcony.

Dquincy
20-12-2016, 07:50 AM
Have you seen the film Coming To America? That's basically the situation when Eddie Murphy and his PA move into a NY flat.

Giggles
20-12-2016, 07:51 AM
What a film :cool:

Adamski
20-12-2016, 08:35 AM
I live in Helsinki, so the area won't probably tell you much, but the area is called Kruunuvuorenranta. 78m2 with two bathrooms (the bigger one has a decent size sauna) two bedrooms (with an option for one more) and a massive livingroom kitchen combo (that's open kitchen in English I think). Obviously we're both super happy.

Edit: oh and it's brand new we moved in a few days after everything that was needed was done, but they're still doing something outside with the yard and such.

Ah, I thought you were still in London for some reason. Sauna sounds awesome, is having one of them pretty standard even in apartments?

Pen
20-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Yeah, it's pretty common to have one. And if you don't have one there's usually a communal one (everyone has their own time slot) in the building. I'll get a few pictures up if I have any still on my phone.

Manc
20-12-2016, 06:56 PM

I live with a cunt.

Raoul Duke
04-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Anyone got any Philips Hue lights? Kinda tempted to get one of the starter packs. Seems pretty cool.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-led-light-bulbs/

Giggles
04-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Anyone got any Philips Hue lights? Kinda tempted to get one of the starter packs. Seems pretty cool.

Yep, I got a starter set, the desk lamp, and some lightwaverf sockets fairly recently. They work brilliantly with the Google Home.

Magic
04-01-2017, 09:29 PM
Expound?

Raoul Duke
04-01-2017, 09:29 PM
Yep, I got a starter set, the desk lamp, and some lightwaverf sockets fairly recently. They work brilliantly with the Google Home.

What's the desk lamp (link?) and what are the lightwave sockets?

Giggles
04-01-2017, 09:34 PM
What's the desk lamp (link?) and what are the lightwave sockets?

Lamp https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Wireless-Lighting-Table/dp/B00TPKQ6DG/ (more of a bedside thing than a desk one but I'm only ever typing at mine).

Lightwave RF sockets https://www.amazon.co.uk/LightwaveRF-Wireless-Control-Electrical-Devices/dp/B00ATY2R80/

I was going to go for Samsung Smartthings sockets as they work natively at the moment with Google Home (Smartthings, Hue, and Nest do) but they were more expensive and you can work the Lightwave ones with the remote or app and they'll work with the Home if you use IFTTT.

Giggles
04-01-2017, 09:37 PM
You can also buy Lightwave RF light switches and just control your normal bulbs with them.

Raoul Duke
04-01-2017, 10:02 PM
How's the Google Home thing?

I've got a little list of Smart Home shit I want to buy:

- Speaker
- Lights
- Hub/voice control

Giggles
04-01-2017, 10:14 PM
It's decent. Lacked a lot of functionality to begin with but there's lots of services being added all the time, Netflix and your photo backup being the latest and very handy. I got some chromecast audios and plugged them into existing speakers, so once you name them in the app you can play or transfer music to them directly from the Home by voice (just say "play my rock playlist upstairs" and it'll start playing my Spotify playlist on the speaker with the CC named 'upstairs' plugged into it. Same with the Shield box (or a normal chromecast), if I ask Home to play a Netflix show it'll just start playing it on the TV.
For some reason it can't do reminders yet (even though it can tell you your schedule from Calendar) which is really annoying as it should be a piece of piss for them to implement, but it shouldn't be long. Needs multi user support in a big way too. The language barrier can be a pain too as it's officially a US only device as of yet, but I haven't found any regional issues, which I had feared. Like if I ask it what the traffic to work is like it will tell me with an ETA even though it's not a US location.

I'm not sure if the Echo does all that with the Chromecasts but I think it has more features of its own at this stage. Interestingly I see at CES today a good few devices landing with Alexa built in so Amazon must be licencing it out to third parties. There's a very similar Lenovo hub and an LG fridge with it that I seen so far.

Raoul Duke
04-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Cheers.

I could really do without an internet fridge :D

Giggles
04-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Yeah that's a really odd one. God knows how much they'll be flogging that for.

If I had it back again I'd probably got an Echo (provided it had the Chromecast support) as having them in all the main rooms would be really handy, so you could have one main one and then dots elsewhere so it wouldn't cost a fortune.

All this smart home stuff has got me using IFTTT more though and it's so fucking handy, even for non smart home stuff. I don't know how I went so long never checking it out.

Magic
04-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Echos are fucking shite! My mum has one it's total lol.

Giggles
04-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Echos are fucking shite! My mum has one it's total lol.

Is she trying to do anything useful with it though or just trying to converse with it?

Magic
04-01-2017, 10:32 PM
It can tell her the weather and play radio. What else can be done with it?

Giggles
04-01-2017, 10:33 PM

I don't really know fully but I presume it can play music from a Spotify account, set timers, play news, etc. I must buy a dot and check one out properly myself.

Boydy
04-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Ask it to read out her son's excellent posts on The Third Half.

Giggles
04-01-2017, 10:37 PM

http://uk.businessinsider.com/amazon-echo-features-2016-10

Giggles
05-01-2017, 08:41 AM
The new Shield has Assistant built in.

And these :cool:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/04/nvidia-spot/

Adamski
05-01-2017, 08:53 AM
How does this all work Giggles? Out the loop here.

Is Google Home the hub of some sort similar to Alex and everything works off that wirelessly? How does IFTTT come into play?

Giggles
05-01-2017, 09:07 AM
How does this all work Giggles? Out the loop here.

Is Google Home the hub of some sort similar to Alex and everything works off that wirelessly? How does IFTTT come into play?

Yeah it's basically Googles version of an Echo but it has Google Assistant built in rather than Alexa. You can use it as a stand alone for the usual things like playing music (has a decent speaker but I don't know how it compares to the Echo one), timers, general questions, etc but it also controls smart home devices like anything with Cast functionality and the three natively supported ones I mentioned earlier (Hue, Smartthings, and Nest) that can be added in the Home app.

http://i67.tinypic.com/wsl3lg.png

IFTTT comes in for devices that aren't supported yet by Home. It has Assistant as one of the 'This' functions so you set up what you want and use Home as the interface to do it.

ie, setting up an IFTTT applet like "IF I say a, b, or c, to Google Assistant, THEN switch on my TV (the lightwave rf socket the TV is plugged into).

Adamski
05-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Ah, so you don't really need Home unless you want to voice activate? You can just control everything from the app if you have the Smart Things hub and any other supported devices?

Giggles
05-01-2017, 09:14 AM
Ah, so you don't really need Home unless you want to voice activate? You can just control everything from the app if you have the Smart Things hub and any other supported devices?

Yep, they all have an app or you can use IFTTT to do things like timers or situational switches without any voice control. Or once Google Assistant makes it onto more phones (only on the two Pixels currently) you could voice activate from there if you want (or download Alexa).

Adamski
05-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Cool - I got a Sonos Play one at Christmas so good to know I don't need to shell out for something else I wouldn't really use to listen to music.

Will take a look at SmartThings, cheers.

EDIT: what the fuck would you use a wifi fridge for?

Giggles
05-01-2017, 09:27 AM
Cool - I got a Sonos Play one at Christmas so good to know I don't need to shell out for something else I wouldn't really use to listen to music.

Will take a look at SmartThings, cheers.

EDIT: what the fuck would you use a wifi fridge for?

I would love one of those (Sonos) myself. Must take another look at them.

Smarthings is a really good one to start with as most things you'd want are included under the umbrella (lights, switches, sockets, etc) so you could build up a fair bit of stuff all under one single control hub. The way mine is now I've the Phillips hub and the Lightwave hub and , even though they're hidden as all I use is Home, if I was to go back I'd just use the one type and have one hub.

Adamski
05-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Sonos is brilliant, incredible sound.

Just had a look at IFTTT, I briefly looked at it 2 years ago and couldn't see the benefit. At that stage I think it was just posting things to social media feeds. Came on leaps and bounds since clearly! Incredible.

Giggles
05-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Sonos is brilliant, incredible sound.

Just had a look at IFTTT, I briefly looked at it 2 years ago and couldn't see the benefit. At that stage I think it was just posting things to social media feeds. Came on leaps and bounds since clearly! Incredible.

Yeah they did a whole redesign a while back and added so much to it. I had looked at it myself way back but Tasker was a lot better for what I wanted then. I think IFTTT does everything I'd want now and in a much simpler way.

I could probably get away with the Chromecast Audios instead of a Sonos with the setup I have but none of my speakers are all that great anyway so for one really good main one it would be the way to go.

Adamski
05-01-2017, 09:43 AM
The Sonos app is pretty good too, integrates really well with Apple Music/Spotify/Amazon Music. Didn't realise you could get DAB radio on it too until I opened it.

phonics
05-01-2017, 10:23 AM
I'm never having any of that Internet connected stuff. I've seen too many @internetofshit stories like the internet going down so the boiler doesn't work. One bloke's wifi enabled cat feeder disconnected when he went on holiday and the thing died.

Manc
05-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Landlord has given me the nod to escape come February end. Result.

Mike
11-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Had Scottish Power round to install a smart meter. It's installed and stuff so no more giving readings and just paying for what I use instead of them guessing.
Annoyingly though for someone nerdy such as myself, the little gadget you get won't work in my second floor flat as the meter is down stairs :(

Baz
11-01-2017, 05:05 PM
What's the gadget meant to do?

Mike
11-01-2017, 05:20 PM
Tells you how much energy you've used and how much it's cost you that day/week/month/year. Tells you if you're using more or less than the day before.

Raoul Duke
11-01-2017, 10:03 PM
They're pretty cool. Most people will need to have them, within the next 5 years I think the timeframe is.

Magic
16-01-2017, 05:48 PM
I've just enquired to SSE about one.

Also was on the phone to an architect earlier telling me about my wall. He sounded so fucking professional my wallet was already weeping just listening to him talk.

Magic
21-01-2017, 08:21 PM
So been quoted £500 all in, that's including structural engineer and the council planning permish. Cash. :drool:

The work and parts who knows. Maybe £1,500?

Manc
31-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Flat hunting has become ardous. Like fuck am I paying £900 to live in peace.

Boydy
31-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Surely you can find a flat in Manchester for less than that?

Giggles
31-01-2017, 09:29 PM
£900 :drool:

I'd be made up with somewhere that cheap.

Manc
31-01-2017, 09:40 PM
I really can't. Not in the centre at least.

Boydy
31-01-2017, 09:41 PM
I looked on rightmove for five minutes and there were plenty.

Manc
31-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Bills on top.

Spammer
31-01-2017, 10:56 PM
I pay £370 per month and I'm 20 mins walk from Leeds train station :cool:

Giggles
31-01-2017, 10:58 PM
I pay £370 per month and I'm 20 mins walk from Leeds train station :cool:

You have to live with people though.

Raoul Duke
31-01-2017, 11:01 PM
You have to live with people though.

...in Leeds

Giggles
31-01-2017, 11:03 PM
...in Leeds

The £70 would be too much.

Boydy
31-01-2017, 11:22 PM
...in Leeds
Don't you live in fucking Tower Hamlets?

Raoul Duke
31-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Yes. I have Michelin starred restaurants within 20 minutes walk.

Lewis
31-01-2017, 11:53 PM
When you put it like that, is relative financial security really that big a deal?

Giggles
01-02-2017, 06:05 AM
He said that like it was a good thing.

Magic
01-02-2017, 07:39 AM
20 minute walks. :harold:

Lewis
02-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Our shower hasn't been draining properly, and it appears to have been caused by a hedgehog falling into the outside drain, because I fished out some bones and most of its prickly skin. The smell. :sick:

Foe
02-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Bought my wall bracket so when that arrives the second tv can go on the wall in the living room.

One last shelf to put up and then I can move onto actual decorating. 'My en suite ceiling is absolutely fucked but I'll deal with that last.

Still got a big space on the wall in the hall. Thinking either a signed/framed NFL or football shirt.

Can you buy Titus bramble memorabilia these days or did that become risqué when he turned a bit rapey?

Magic
02-02-2017, 08:35 PM
We need pics of this dual telly setup so we can mock.

Foe
02-02-2017, 08:40 PM
We need pics of this dual telly setup so we can mock.

I'll show your wife on Snapchat. It's probably capable of reflecting my penis.

Magic
20-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Going to get a quote for knocking down a load bearing wall to make a kitchen/diner. That's step 1 for basically re-doing the whole house.

£3,010 including a couple of new doors and flooring the hallway too.

EDIT: Plus the architect is £3,510 in total. To knock down a fucking wall basically.

SvN
20-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Throw your wife into it, I'm sure it'll come tumbling down.

Magic
20-02-2017, 01:21 PM
I'd like the wall down not the whole fucking house.

Magic
06-03-2017, 09:18 AM
LOL it's all going so, so wrong.

There was a discrepancy in the plans so they couldn't install the steel beam. Now I have fucking scaffolding in my kitchen holding the roof up, and I can't use my washing machine or dishwasher. Even worse still, when the electric was off the heating programmer must have blown as it is fucked now. Had to order a retrofit one as it's a weird connection type and it's in tiles so can't even plaster it and make a new hole.

To recap:

I have no washing machine or dishwasher
I have no heating (back up immersion for hot water thank fuck but only does 1 shower at a time)
I have no hoover because it blew up

FML.

Spammer
06-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Put a bid in on a house on Thursday. Estate agent rang me on Saturday telling me that they'd had a cash bid from someone who isn't even fussed about a survey. They were in touch to tell me that the seller would prefer to sell to me as I'll be living in the house itself, but that they wanted to know if I'd try and negotiate the price if anything comes up from having the survey done.

Bit weird. I said that I'm not fussed about faffing around for the sake of a couple of hundred quid but if there's 10k worth of stuff that needs doing then that's not something I can reasonably ignore. I guess we'll see what comes of it.

Magic
06-03-2017, 09:24 AM
It's much better here where the seller pays for the survey regardless.

Also surveys are a fucking waste of time.

Spammer
06-03-2017, 09:36 AM
It's an old house so I'd want a proper survey on it.

niko_cee
06-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Those home reports are an absolute waste of time. Money for old rope for the wankers that get to churn them out.

SvN
06-03-2017, 10:08 AM
I didn't bother with a survey. One of our friends is a structural engineer so he gave it a onceover for us.

Adamski
06-03-2017, 10:24 AM

What happens down south? Does every potential buyer need to get a survey done?

Spammer
06-03-2017, 10:25 AM
I've known a few people who have only had the entry-level surveys done and have ended up being royally fucked over 6 months down the line when it's turned out that they've needed a load of stuff doing. Fuck that, I'm not taking the risk. It's probably working as a debt advisor but I'm massively careful about these things.

Magic
06-03-2017, 11:33 AM
What happens down south? Does every potential buyer need to get a survey done?

Don't know if it's compulsory or at the buyer's discretion but the seller doesn't pay for it certainly. There's a few odd rules between the two countries in terms of buying/selling.

Magic
06-03-2017, 11:34 AM
I've known a few people who have only had the entry-level surveys done and have ended up being royally fucked over 6 months down the line when it's turned out that they've needed a load of stuff doing. Fuck that, I'm not taking the risk. It's probably working as a debt advisor but I'm massively careful about these things.

Ok well on my current house survey it said fuck all about the garage roof nor the house roof, both of which needed replaced after less than 2 years in the house at a cost of about £10,000.

Spammer
06-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Ok well on my current house survey it said fuck all about the garage roof nor the house roof, both of which needed replaced after less than 2 years in the house at a cost of about £10,000.

If they mention to me that there are issues then I could theoretically try and knock it off the offer I'm making. If they miss something out then whevs, I'd only be in the same position as I would be without a proper survey. At least I've tried finding out about it though.

Magic
06-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Not really, only if it's a '3' which I believe needs action. 1s and 2s are deemed standard wear and tear and you can't knock jack shit off.

Hint - 3 = roof has collapsed or severe structural issues.

Double hint - you are barking up the wrong tree.

SvN
06-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Anyone ever paid someone to move a radiator along the wall? I've seen people quoting anywhere from £80 to £300 so it's tough to know what a proper price is.

Demerit
06-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Put a bid in on a house on Thursday. Estate agent rang me on Saturday telling me that they'd had a cash bid from someone who isn't even fussed about a survey. They were in touch to tell me that the seller would prefer to sell to me as I'll be living in the house itself, but that they wanted to know if I'd try and negotiate the price if anything comes up from having the survey done.

Bit weird. I said that I'm not fussed about faffing around for the sake of a couple of hundred quid but if there's 10k worth of stuff that needs doing then that's not something I can reasonably ignore. I guess we'll see what comes of it.

Not as unusual as you might think.

I own an estate agency and we have shit like this all the time where the old doris in the house wants a family in there or a young couple rather than a developer and will happily make a horrible commercial decision on the back of that mentality.

Demerit
06-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Anyone ever paid someone to move a radiator along the wall? I've seen people quoting anywhere from £80 to £300 so it's tough to know what a proper price is.

Depends how far you're moving it, but if its 6ft along on the same wall and it's an internal wall then probably £150. If its an external wall I'd say closer to £300.

SvN
06-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Here's what we want to do:

http://i.imgur.com/n9y5Uet.jpg

We want to remove the current radiator and replace it with a vertical radiator.

Demerit
06-03-2017, 01:09 PM
If they mention to me that there are issues then I could theoretically try and knock it off the offer I'm making. If they miss something out then whevs, I'd only be in the same position as I would be without a proper survey. At least I've tried finding out about it though.

All surveys say is 'X looks like it may need attention in the future, however don't take my word for it, have a professional look at it'

Get a homebuyers, then have other companies inspect anything that comes up as a red 3.

That way atleast you have quotes for the work that can justify your price reduction.

Spammer
06-03-2017, 01:27 PM
All surveys say is 'X looks like it may need attention in the future, however don't take my word for it, have a professional look at it'

Get a homebuyers, then have other companies inspect anything that comes up as a red 3.

That way atleast you have quotes for the work that can justify your price reduction.

Homebuyers? Is that as opposed to the one that the bank does? If so, then that's what I'd be looking at having anyway. Cheers for the advice.

I'm sure it's probably not generalizable as it depends on all kinds of factors, but are red 3s common?

Demerit
06-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Homebuyers? Is that as opposed to the one that the bank does? If so, then that's what I'd be looking at having anyway. Cheers for the advice.

I'm sure it's probably not generalizable as it depends on all kinds of factors, but are red 3s common?

Three different types of survey. Mortgage valuation/homebuyers/full structural.

Mortgage valuation is a 20 minute job where the surveyor doesn't really look at anything but the value of the house and whether the bank will get its money back.

Homebuyers is two hours and they'll provide the traffic light system.

Full Structural is 4-5 hours usually and they'll provide more information on the faults, take the time to go on the roof rather than just look at it etc. This is usually a waste of money because they still protect their arses by saying they can't fully advise on certain matters etc.

You'll always get red 3's on a survey. It doesn't necessarily mean there's a fault there. A flat roof is almost always a red 3. I had one this morning actually where the flat roof was replaced 6 months ago with a 10 year guarantee and it came back as a red 3 because the surveyor said it needed to be inspected and the certificates seen. So it's not always 'this is a major issue and the house is going to fall down' sort of issue.

Ones to look out for are any structural comments, pitched roof issues and damp. All of which you can get free quotes for easily and use as a means to negotiate the price.

Spammer
06-03-2017, 02:24 PM

Mortgage valuation is a 20 minute job where the surveyor doesn't really look at anything but the value of the house and whether the bank will get its money back.

Full Structural is 4-5 hours usually and they'll provide more information on the faults, take the time to go on the roof rather than just look at it etc. This is usually a waste of money because they still protect their arses by saying they can't fully advise on certain matters etc.

You'll always get red 3's on a survey. It doesn't necessarily mean there's a fault there. A flat roof is almost always a red 3. I had one this morning actually where the flat roof was replaced 6 months ago with a 10 year guarantee and it came back as a red 3 because the surveyor said it needed to be inspected and the certificates seen. So it's not always 'this is a major issue and the house is going to fall down' sort of issue.

Ones to look out for are any structural comments, pitched roof issues and damp. All of which you can get free quotes for easily and use as a means to negotiate the price.

Cheers for that, that's awesome. Would you generally suggest the homebuyers survey then? Edit: You said so earlier. Sorry.

I didn't get it in the end. Some rich arsehole bidding the whole amount at once got favoured :(. I'm still gonna keep my eyes peeled though.

Demerit
06-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Cheers for that, that's awesome. Would you generally suggest the homebuyers survey then? Edit: You said so earlier. Sorry.

I didn't get it in the end. Some rich arsehole bidding the whole amount at once got favoured :(. I'm still gonna keep my eyes peeled though.

Houses built more than 10 years ago, yes. Houses built less than 10 years ago, don't bother as you're still covered by a guarantee even if it is fucked.

Flat's, absolutely no need, you'd get as much information from a builder as you would a surveyor.

Magic
06-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Here's what we want to do:

http://i.imgur.com/n9y5Uet.jpg

We want to remove the current radiator and replace it with a vertical radiator.

Yeah I moved to another wall same room and new rad + TRV and it was about 300 odd.

Lemmo
06-03-2017, 09:20 PM
Are solicitors all useless or have I just picked a really bad one? I thought you'd at least need some sort of general intelligence to become one.

Had a bid accepted on a house 2 weeks ago, went in signed the relevant representation contracts and gave proof of ID etc. They managed to lose the copies of my ID meaning I had to go back in again as for some reason they wouldn't let me send a copy by email (Even though they've already validated the originals). They didn't actually tell me this I had to ring up to ask for an update on if the searches etc had started.

I rang up today for another update and they basically took offence that I was ringing up asking what they're currently doing and if there's anything they need from me: "We would move faster on the file if we didn't need to keep giving updates every other day", I went off on one a bit on the phone and said it's actually been a week and in slightly kinder words, I'm paying you for this shower of shit service.

I might ask to speak to the senior partner if this carries on but as a rough guideline how often did anyone who has been through the process have to chase them? Surely they should actually provide updates themselves...

Raoul Duke
06-03-2017, 09:23 PM
They're all shitweasels.

I'm pretty sure I made one of mine cry when I was selling my mum's place, but they are unfathomably incompetent. They should all be replaced by software/AI immediately

Demerit
07-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Are solicitors all useless or have I just picked a really bad one? I thought you'd at least need some sort of general intelligence to become one.

Had a bid accepted on a house 2 weeks ago, went in signed the relevant representation contracts and gave proof of ID etc. They managed to lose the copies of my ID meaning I had to go back in again as for some reason they wouldn't let me send a copy by email (Even though they've already validated the originals). They didn't actually tell me this I had to ring up to ask for an update on if the searches etc had started.

I rang up today for another update and they basically took offence that I was ringing up asking what they're currently doing and if there's anything they need from me: "We would move faster on the file if we didn't need to keep giving updates every other day", I went off on one a bit on the phone and said it's actually been a week and in slightly kinder words, I'm paying you for this shower of shit service.

I might ask to speak to the senior partner if this carries on but as a rough guideline how often did anyone who has been through the process have to chase them? Surely they should actually provide updates themselves...

You get what you pay for generally with solicitors.

If you've gone with one of these 'Team 1' 'Team 2' outfits then you're stuffed.

I generally chase solicitors once every other day, otherwise they do nothing.

SvN
07-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Ours wasn't bad - or at least he gave the impression he was doing his job. There were a few delays which came from the other end (according to him). We weren't in a massive rush anyway so it helped us out that it took a bit longer than originally expected.

wullie
07-03-2017, 02:20 PM
The ones we used were recommended by the developer so everyone knew the relevant contacts already. The only delays were caused by the builders so we had to sign stuff and apply again but otherwise it was relatively painless.

Baz
21-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Anyone got a washer dryer? Which one and is it good?

Manc
21-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Four weeks till the end of my contract and I've still not found anywhere. Squeaky bum time.

Spammer
22-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Seen a house I love, gonna put a bid in later :drool:

Spammer
23-03-2017, 08:18 PM
My bid has been accepted :cool:

SvN
23-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Just you is it?

Spammer
23-03-2017, 08:51 PM
On the mortgage, yeah. I'm gonna rent out the other two bedrooms though, which should cover my monthly payments.

SvN
23-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Fair play. How much is the house?

Spammer
23-03-2017, 09:14 PM
£85,000. For a three bedroom house with a massive cellar.

The north :cool:

Foe
23-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Nice.

Welcome to the world of debt :cool:

Baz
23-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Is it a semi?

Adamski
23-03-2017, 09:27 PM
Well he did sound excited.

Magic
23-03-2017, 09:27 PM
£85,000. For a three bedroom house with a massive cellar.

The north :cool:

You mean Beeston. :cool:

Spikey M
23-03-2017, 09:33 PM
We sold a 1 bed flat for nearly double that. The South East. :drool:

SvN
23-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Fuck me.

I made myself genuinely angry when I was looking for a house by looking at what I could buy up north.

Giggles
23-03-2017, 09:36 PM
85 grand is about 3 years rent for a house like that here.

Spikey M
23-03-2017, 09:39 PM
The problem is that you can't move them.

Spikey M
23-03-2017, 09:41 PM
85 grand is about 3 years rent for a house like that here.

My wifes sister pays £1300pm for her rented 3 bed. She'd buy that in just over 5 years.

SvN
23-03-2017, 09:44 PM
My friend lives in Brixton and pays £900 per month for a room in a 2 bed. It's a fucking shithole as well.

Giggles
23-03-2017, 09:48 PM
My wifes sister pays £1300pm for her rented 3 bed. She'd buy that in just over 5 years.

€2200 here. Would be much better putting it into buying, but because the rent is so much and you have to have a 20% up-front deposit (saved in a certain manner) and the house would be €350,000 minimum, it's just a vicious circle.

Danny
23-03-2017, 10:12 PM
You mean Beeston. :cool:

:D Would hope not ffs

Giggles
23-03-2017, 10:17 PM
I always think of Nottingham Beeston when I hear it. If it's anything close to that then RIP Hammer.

niko_cee
23-03-2017, 10:20 PM
I know someone who is looking to sell a reasonably scabby 2 bed flat in Stoke Newington. The valuations have been insane. You do wonder where it all ends in London.

Lewis
23-03-2017, 10:25 PM
I bet that 'massive cellar' clinched it. The house attached to it was just a bonus.

Offshore Toon
23-03-2017, 11:22 PM
He's calling it a cellar now, but by the time he's done the place up it'll be a tranny dungeon.

Lewis
23-03-2017, 11:23 PM
You could live in the cellar/tranny dungeon and pay it off even quicker.

Offshore Toon
23-03-2017, 11:43 PM
That's a good idea since he'll practically live in there anyway. Until they all get the snip, I guess.

Chris
24-03-2017, 07:41 AM
On the mortgage, yeah. I'm gonna rent out the other two bedrooms though, which should cover my monthly payments.

Make sure you check with your mortgage company about subletting, I know it is against the terms/conditions of some mortgages.

Magic
24-03-2017, 07:47 AM
Fuck me.

I made myself genuinely angry when I was looking for a house by looking at what I could buy up north.

Try Scotland. Nae try Dundee.

Spammer
24-03-2017, 09:36 AM
Make sure you check with your mortgage company about subletting, I know it is against the terms/conditions of some mortgages.

I clarified that with my broker and he said that with the mortgage in principle I have it should be fine. The only potential issue would be in a few years when I want to re-mortgage and I've already got people renting rooms out.

Spammer
29-03-2017, 10:37 PM

I got a couple more questions on surveys if you or anyone else can indulge me.

1. How does the surveyor get in the place? Does the estate agents give them a key?
2. Do I have to take time off work and be there for the survey at any point?
3. If the survey comes up with something and I was a professional to come in and give me a quote, do I have to actually be there for that or can they get a key in the same way as the surveyor?

I only ask because I'd struggle to get time off work. It's possible if I need to.

Chris
30-03-2017, 08:48 AM

1. How does the surveyor get in the place? Does the estate agents give them a key?
3. If the survey comes up with something and I was a professional to come in and give me a quote, do I have to actually be there for that or can they get a key in the same way as the surveyor?

I only ask because I'd struggle to get time off work. It's possible if I need to.

As far as I know none of that would be your responsibility, it would all be on the estate agents/current owners. You're not going to get a key to go into the place until it's signed and sealed.

Magic
30-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Isn't it different in England where the buyer pays for a survey if they want one done?

Magic
30-03-2017, 09:02 AM
LOL it's all going so, so wrong.

There was a discrepancy in the plans so they couldn't install the steel beam. Now I have fucking scaffolding in my kitchen holding the roof up, and I can't use my washing machine or dishwasher. Even worse still, when the electric was off the heating programmer must have blown as it is fucked now. Had to order a retrofit one as it's a weird connection type and it's in tiles so can't even plaster it and make a new hole.

To recap:

I have no washing machine or dishwasher
I have no heating (back up immersion for hot water thank fuck but only does 1 shower at a time)
I have no hoover because it blew up

FML.

This shit is still going on. Finally the plans were approved by the council, but the floor was already down by this point. The plasterer had since gone on holiday so his apprentice came round instead. He made an absolute cunt of it and also got plaster all over the new grained floor. Total disaster.

The main plasterer is coming round to start it all again on Saturday. What a nightmare, this has taken over a month.

leedsrevolution
30-03-2017, 10:13 AM
I've never been in this thread as I always assumed it was about house music.

leedsrevolution
30-03-2017, 10:14 AM

Chris has got it spot on. None of that is your responsibility.

Spammer
01-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Cheers for that.

So now I've put in the full mortgage application and given the solicitors all my details including proof address etc etc. What happens now? Should I really be getting on with booking a surveyor immediately?

Also, what's the crack with buildings insurance? Someone said I have to get that before I've even moved into the place.

Jimmy Floyd
04-04-2017, 01:41 PM
I'll leave the context out of this (rest assured I am not the subject), but does anyone have any experience of girlfriends/boyfriends asking to stay in a rented room for an extended period (say, 3 weeks)? What do landlords usually say and what is their attitude towards it? There isn't a contract in my particular situation.

Spammer
04-04-2017, 01:48 PM
There's likely to be something about it in the tenancy agreement. If there isn't, then I don't think they can complain about it either way.

In honesty though if it's only for three weeks then they're very unlikely to ever find out unless they live nearby.

Adamski
04-04-2017, 03:13 PM
I moved into my then girlfriends shared flat for about 3 months once. Just don't tell them.

Jimmy Floyd
04-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Not an option as it's a lodging arrangement (hence also no tenancy agreement etc).

I just wanted to know if they tend to be cunts about it or tend to be accommodating so I know which why to write the letter on this other, fucking irritating person's behalf.

Foe
04-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Can he or she fit out the window?

Giggles
04-04-2017, 06:19 PM
If it's a shared place it's bad form as there's nothing worse than living with a couple, specially when it's just sprung on you. I doubt there's much from the landlord side of things if they didn't live under the same roof.

Mike
04-04-2017, 06:49 PM
My flat mates girlfriend is basically here all the time and it's annoying. His days are numbered though.

In other news I bought some storage for the hall and moved my room about a bit.

Foe
04-04-2017, 07:33 PM
I put some optics up on the wall and going to get some new bathroom floors put in over the next couple of weeks.

Then I need to re-paint the rooms I hand painted. This time better.

phonics
04-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Didn't you buy a house Mike?

Mike
04-04-2017, 07:43 PM
A bought a two bedroom flat then rented the spare room to a mate when he needed a place.

He is getting 'kicked out' in July though.

Magic
12-04-2017, 12:10 PM
http://www.tspc.co.uk/6-Bed-Detached-Villa-For-Sale-Abercraig-91-Dundee-Road-Broughty-Ferry-DD5-1LZ

Wooft. I bet for the same price you could get a 2 bedroom apartment in London. Maybe.

phonics
12-04-2017, 12:18 PM
That would get you a studio flat over here but our mortgage laws are designed to disincentivise property ownership so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spammer
12-04-2017, 08:36 PM
At what point in the process of buying a house should I be getting building insurance? I'm under the impression that I need to get insurance before I even move in the fucking thing. Is that right?

Adamski
12-04-2017, 08:38 PM
After a quick translation, I just bought it once I was in. It's sorted out within the hour anyway.

Spammer
12-04-2017, 08:54 PM
:D

Edited. I thought you had to get building insurance to cover yourself before you actually get the mortgage going?

Adamski
12-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Never heard of that before. I treated it the same way as setting up gas and electric.

Magic
12-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Hammer is correct. The banks won't loan against an uninsured property. Speak to your mortgage advisor instead of a middle management warehouseman.

Adamski
12-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Fairly sure that I'm living proof that they will, but go for it Hammer.

Magic
12-04-2017, 09:25 PM
I'd hardly call your meagre and insignificant existence 'living' but there we go.

Adamski
12-04-2017, 09:28 PM
:D you're such a try hard.

Go have a wank in the shower and call it a night.

Spammer
12-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Magic :D

Spammer
15-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Looks as though I'm moving in on 1st June :cool:

Can't fucking wait for this shit. Haven't been this excited since I got Mighty Max Skull Mountain for Christmas.

Magic
15-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Imagine how little life has offered you thus far to be so excited at moving in to a bedsit in Beeston.

Adamski
15-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Been more than 4 places in the world though eh Hammer :cool:

leedsrevolution
15-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Imagine how little life has offered you thus far to be so excited at moving in to a bedsit in Beeston.

Imagine been stuck in a loveless marriage with a job you hate in fucking Scotland.

Giggles
15-05-2017, 08:03 PM
You Leeds fans need each other, be nice.

Magic
15-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Imagine been stuck in a loveless marriage with a job you hate in fucking Scotland.

Target destroyed.

Spammer
16-05-2017, 08:06 AM
If I was a Leeds fan, I'd at least have a reason to be one.

Spammer
24-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Apparently Virgin are finally going to get around to bother valuing my house as part of the mortgage application on the fucking 9th of June, so I won't be moving in until after that point. This is after me being told that it'd be a couple of days and making plans with that in mind. Fucking tosspots.

Spammer
24-05-2017, 12:24 PM
It turns out that the mortgage broker I've gone with originally applied for a mortgage on the fucking house that I bidded on three months ago which got rejected. They only realised once the mortgage company did a valuation and queried as to why the fuck I'm wanting an 80k mortgage on a 60k house.

It's just a fucking shambles all round really. I wouldn't be bothered but I'm going to have to explained the delay to the lass who's taking the room in my flat, which might fuck that up completely and make me pay another month's rent for a room I won't be using. Fuck sake.

Raoul Duke
24-05-2017, 08:04 PM
These people are always total fuckwits. Everyone's got a horror story about the process.

Spammer
31-05-2017, 04:11 PM
It now turns out that, even though they offered me a mortgage and it was all set to go through tomorrow, they.spelled my name wrong so now need to go back and give me a new offer, so It'll be most likely Friday or Saturday that I move in, rather than Thursday which I booked work off for.

Fucking eejits. The solicitors have been fine actually, just everyone else has been fucking stupid.

Spammer
01-06-2017, 08:17 AM
I rang the mortgage providers this morning and it's not much work they need to do, so I've said that if they don't finalise today I'm talking to the financial ombudsman.

It's fucking ridiculous. I applied for a mortgage on the 5th May ffs. This shouldn't still be up in the air.

Spikey M
01-06-2017, 11:23 AM
I don't think you can go to the Ombudsman without a) giving them 6 weeks to sort the situation or b) having a letter saying they won't sort the situation. That's the deal with most Ombudsmen services anyway.

Spammer
01-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Yeah I know that. I think mentioning them quite early though will show them that I'm familiar with the process and give them a kick up the arse. They're offering to cover a month of rent in my old place that I had to take out because I've been faffed about, so that's nice. I can forgive them if they're going to go through with that.

It's all looking promising to go through to day now. The funds have been received by my solicitors and sent to the seller's solicitors. Once they've been received on their end it's just a case of picking up the keys. Apparently it'll take a couple of hours to go through and then I'll be able to move in :cool:

Spikey M
01-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Yeah you'll be done today, if they've got your money then the it's as good as done. I think they got our money at 11am and we were in by 2pm.

Spammer
01-06-2017, 12:00 PM
I've just rung may dad to update him and he says he doesn't want to rent a van this late because he won't be back home in time for his racquet ball match this evening, and wants to move my stuff on Saturday instead. After all this palaver to get done today.

:face:

Magic
01-06-2017, 12:58 PM
I've just rung may dad to update him and he says he doesn't want to rent a van this late because he won't be back home in time for his racquet ball match this evening, and wants to move my stuff on Saturday instead. After all this palaver to get done today.

:face:

My dad's a cunt like that too, everything revolves around him.

Boydy
01-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Do you not drive, Hammer?

Magic
01-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Do you not drive, @Hammer (http://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/member.php?u=67)?

Yeah but driving a van is a man's job.

Disco
01-06-2017, 01:05 PM
Is that why you fix telephones?

Spikey M
01-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Walk it round. You love a walk.

Magic
01-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Is that why you fix telephones?

I don't drive a van.

Spikey M
01-06-2017, 02:50 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/012/132/thatsthejoke.jpg

Magic
01-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Tired k.

Spammer
01-06-2017, 04:16 PM
Do you not drive, Hammer?

Nope, never have done. Might get around to it now though.

I have my keys :cool: My house is fucking great, even if it is completely empty right now.

Boydy
01-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Show us some pics.

I'd help you out if I lived anywhere near you but I don't, sorry. So this is just a pointless gesture that makes me look nice but doesn't involve me actually having to do anything.

Spikey M
01-06-2017, 04:38 PM
You realise who you're talking to, right? Do not open any PM's.

Magic
01-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Nope, never have done. Might get around to it now though.

I have my keys :cool: My house is fucking great, even if it is completely empty right now.

Ask LR to give you a hand he's on the same estate as you.

Disco
01-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Show us some pics.

I'd help you out if I lived anywhere near you but I don't, sorry. So this is just a pointless gesture that makes me look nice but doesn't involve me actually having to do anything.

Jesus Boyd, have you already forgotten what happened last time you did this?

Boydy
01-06-2017, 05:33 PM
What?

Magic
01-06-2017, 05:43 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/012/132/thatsthejoke.jpg

Disco
01-06-2017, 06:14 PM
The woman you only offered to help out with driving lessons because you thought she'd say no.

Spammer
01-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Show us some pics.

I'll take the sentiment though :drool:

Its alright. My dad's turning up at the weekend instead, and the contract at my current gaff lasts until 15th so lots of time.

Boydy
01-06-2017, 06:17 PM
The woman you only offered to help out with driving lessons because you thought she'd say no.

Oh yeah. It was because I said yes to being a 'reserve' thinking I'd not actually have to do it because the other person would.

Hammer's sound though.

Magic
01-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Oh right I thought you meant because he's a selfish loser who has never offered anything.

Boydy
01-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Looks like you can shove your misused Simpsons meme up your arse.

Disco
01-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Oh right I thought you meant because he's a selfish loser who has never offered anything.

Projecting much?

Spammer
04-06-2017, 11:11 PM
https://s2.postimg.org/xwgwyi0vt/IMG-20170604-_WA0002.jpg

:cool:

SvN
04-06-2017, 11:15 PM
Congrats

Spammer
05-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Cheers.

Does anyone of any service whereby I can get someone impartial to come at the electrics in my house? I've had an electrician tell me it all needs replacing but they've got an obvious vested interest and the wiring I can see looks quite new to me.

Boydy
07-06-2017, 06:56 PM
I just realised something.

https://images.forbes.com/media/lists/people/mark-zuckerberg_400x400.jpg

Magic
07-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Not enough downs.

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Adam-Morgan.jpg

Spammer
08-06-2017, 09:42 AM

I've also had:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tk9D2wxo0X4/maxresdefault.jpg

http://statici.behindthevoiceactors.com/behindthevoiceactors/_img/chars/guybrush-threepwood-curse-of-monkey-island-77.2.jpg

http://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/nina-simone.jpg

John
08-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Who the fuck said you look like Nina Simone? :D

Mazuuurk
08-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Someone with very dark shades on.