Raoul Duke
13-06-2016, 07:18 AM
Coming to PC and consoles 28/10/2016

https://youtu.be/pF2Qw9BI6Rg?t=187

:drool:

CJay
13-06-2016, 07:45 AM
:drool:

The XB1 seems to be dropping in price at the minute. Is there a new version expected to be announced today?

CJay
13-06-2016, 07:48 AM
And mods. :nodd:

phonics
13-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Whats the point in the PC version? If I wanted a better looking version, I have mods and it costs about a pound most of the year.

Yevrah
13-06-2016, 11:21 AM
:alan:

Shindig
13-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Whats the point in the PC version? If I wanted a better looking version, I have mods and it costs about a pound most of the year.

Consider it more of a big mod and DLC bundle for those that can't follow mod install instructions. Or people that switched from PS3/360 to PC.

phonics
13-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Consider it more of a big mod and DLC bundle for those that can't follow mod install instructions. Or people that switched from PS3/360 to PC.

Have you seen NMM and Steam Workshop these days? You literally click a button and it installs it. It's incredible. (I was playing about with Fallout 4 mods before realising that game is wank)

Shindig
13-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Well, they can't not put it out on PC. Not all people are that clued up.

Yevrah
13-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Indeed. That Bethesda.net had any traffic at all on PC shows that there are people playing on that platform who don't have a clue.

Pepe
13-06-2016, 11:46 AM
So, new graphics? What else would I get if I were to bother with this?

Yevrah
13-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Mods on consoles is the key selling point if you own one.

Pepe
13-06-2016, 11:58 AM
I see. So for PC it's just new graphics? Doesn't seem worth bothering but it did tempt me to start a new save. Probably won't.

Shindig
13-06-2016, 12:01 PM
I spent 120 hours of my life on it and have no intention of going back.

Dark Soldier
13-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Will they make the gameplay better than sub level shit, at least?

Ian
13-06-2016, 04:13 PM
It's free for owners of the original anyway. I'll download for a look even if the improvement on the PC version is less impressive than on consoles.

Pepe
13-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Free? Might be tempted then.

I do agree that the 'gameplay' is shit.

Disco
13-06-2016, 05:09 PM
It's free if you own the game and all the DLC or a particular edition which is basically the same thing.

Ian
13-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Oh, really? Fuck that then. I wasn't planning to actually play it through again.

Disco
13-06-2016, 06:07 PM
...if you own either the Legendary Edition of the original, or the base game plus all DLC bought separately, you’ll receive a free upgrade...

That's how the RPS article reads.

Ian
13-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Turns out I skimmed the fuck out of it and saw the word "free" and got exc-..... went, "Oh, alright then."

Alex
13-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Well, shit. I've been waiting for this ever since my brother played the original for about two weeks straight on my Xbox account before I got the chance and got basically all of the achievements on it.

Ian
13-06-2016, 09:38 PM
You didn't play it because he'd already got the achievements?

Alex
13-06-2016, 09:52 PM
You didn't play it because he'd already got the achievements?

No, I still played it. But I've always liked trying to clean up all the achievements on games I'm really into. Particularly games like Skyrim.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Bought it on PS4.

Finally knocked up at Bleak Falls Barrow and almost shat myself about 30 times. I don't get scared by TV/Film but games make me lose my shit.

Trying to do an archery sneak master wood elf, not sure why as I'm stunningly shit at sneaking around but it's kind of fun when I actually have arrows.

Alex
04-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Bought it on PS4.

Finally knocked up at Bleak Falls Barrow and almost shat myself about 30 times. I don't get scared by TV/Film but games make me lose my shit.

Trying to do an archery sneak master wood elf, not sure why as I'm stunningly shit at sneaking around but it's kind of fun when I actually have arrows.

It took me three starts to settle on it but I'm playing basically the exact same character, right down to race. I probably shouldn't have picked Wood Elf though, I never use that special power they get that let's you control an animal. I could probably have got something better from one of the other races.

I've upgraded the skill trees to the point where my sneak attack arrows do three times the damage and my backstabs with daggers do fifteen (!) times the damage, so I'm just skulking around in the shadows murdering everyone that crosses my path really. Predictably I'm ignoring the main quest for the time being and just doing the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild stuff.

Raoul Duke
04-11-2016, 10:51 PM
Stealth archer is basically a running joke as everyone ends up playing it :D

I'm a Khajit badass who wears heavy armour and twats the fuck out of people with a two-handed Dwarven Hammer. Just been up to see my Greybeard chums.

Lasted about three days before I started modding it...The PS4 mods are fairly simplistic, but useful enough.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-11-2016, 11:19 PM

I'm a Khajit badass who wears heavy armour and twats the fuck out of people with a two-handed Dwarven Hammer. Just been up to see my Greybeard chums.

Lasted about three days before I started modding it...The PS4 mods are fairly simplistic, but useful enough.

I did Google 'best builds' tbh.

I did enjoy twating the fuck out of a lot of the draugr with a Nord Battle Axe though.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-11-2016, 11:20 PM
It took me three starts to settle on it but I'm playing basically the exact same character, right down to race. I probably shouldn't have picked Wood Elf though, I never use that special power they get that let's you control an animal. I could probably have got something better from one of the other races.

I've upgraded the skill trees to the point where my sneak attack arrows do three times the damage and my backstabs with daggers do fifteen (!) times the damage, so I'm just skulking around in the shadows murdering everyone that crosses my path really. Predictably I'm ignoring the main quest for the time being and just doing the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild stuff.
Wood elf gets a boost of +10 to archery and +5 to sneak though.

CJay
04-11-2016, 11:21 PM
How big are the differences between the original and the remaster, Raoul? I read that the loading times are the biggest difference.

Raoul Duke
04-11-2016, 11:32 PM
Loading times are much quicker. The graphics overall are well-polished too.

It's pretty noticeably different, and it's a pretty game to start with...

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2016, 12:44 AM
The loading times are vastly superior. I didn't play the non-mastered, cheap, ugly, shit version much but I notice it.

Shindig
05-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Given that it's all the same engine, I wonder if the file size problem will rear its head again? The one that made PS3 saves several GBs in size.

Disco
05-11-2016, 01:57 PM
I'm almost tempted to ONE LAST GAME of this (not the special edition which is silly and pointless on pc) as a proper summoner but I think I'll just wait until it passes rather than face the mod setup it would require.

Yevrah
05-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Bought this. Looks a bit vaseliney, but I'm sure I'll get back into it and hooked once I start a save in earnest.

Mods really must be one of the most overrated things going. Tried Frostfall, some camping thing and a survival needs style mod and there's something irritating in all three of them that makes me want to bin them.

Minor change mods are ok, but anything more than that seems to always have something piss poorly implemented in it.

Disco
05-11-2016, 08:23 PM
The best ones add content and variety, expanding on existing systems so you only notice them when they've gone. Ones like Frostfall that introduce new mechanics are always going to be a bit janky in places but for me the better ones add some much needed depth.

Yevrah
05-11-2016, 11:23 PM
So which ones would you recommend?

I'm curious even if they're PC only.

Disco
05-11-2016, 11:45 PM
Christ, too many to remember. I was looking at this earlier as a simple solution to the normal slog of putting together a functioning mod list. http://perfectlymodded.weebly.com/steam-install-guide.html

Might take a little while to configure once it's running but it's preferable.

Alex
08-11-2016, 09:15 PM

:moop:

I've fucking re-started again anyway. I'm going for a mage this time and I think I'm finally settled. Flinging fire around and reanimating corpses to fight for me is proving to me a more fun than knifing everyone in the back.

I'm trying to not fast travel at all on this new play through either, and discover all the various cities myself without just taking the carriage there. As a result the trek into the north to find and join the College of Winterhold felt like some sort of properly epic journey, complete with with multiple beat downs by sabre cats. :D

Disco
08-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Cutting out fast travel is great, it makes the game so much bigger. Unfortunately most of the quests don't take this into account and will think nothing of sending you right across the map to go a find a hat someone misplaced once so it does tend to get tiresome after a while.

Yevrah
08-11-2016, 10:22 PM
+1 for stealth in Bethesda games being a bit dull and not fast travelling.

Disco
08-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Is the stealth more OP than any other 'class' once you level far enough? You can make armour that negates all damage and enchant it so it costs nothing to use offensive spells and I can say from experience that it totally ruined that particular save. The issue with it in Skyrim (for me) was that the missions that used it weren't a patch on the ones from Oblivion. Some of the assassinations were ok but the Thieves Guild ones all seemed to descend into yet another dungeon crawl.

Sir Andy Mahowry
08-11-2016, 11:16 PM
You're making me want to start again with some axe wielding maniac.

Yevrah
08-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Is the stealth more OP than any other 'class' once you level far enough? You can make armour that negates all damage and enchant it so it costs nothing to use offensive spells and I can say from experience that it totally ruined that particular save. The issue with it in Skyrim (for me) was that the missions that used it weren't a patch on the ones from Oblivion. Some of the assassinations were ok but the Thieves Guild ones all seemed to descend into yet another dungeon crawl.

Enchanting needs to be used responsibly otherwise I'd agree that it entirely breaks the game. I had some self imposed limits when I was balls deep in the game before, but I can't remember for the life of me what they were.

Same goes for Alchemy, which makes gold redundant from about 5 minutes in if you abuse it.

Raoul Duke
08-11-2016, 11:31 PM
I'm enjoying taking it at a slow pace, without actively trying to grind stuff too much. I'm level 20 and have about 10k gold, plus Breezehome.

Enjoying using a two-handed hammer and some Conjuration, both of which are different for me. I was an Elven Mage last time (5 years ago...)

Disco
08-11-2016, 11:43 PM
It always has been broken to be fair, you can make yourself totally invisible in Oblivion without too much trouble as well as making weapons that would kill gods (one hitting Mehrunes Dagon for instance) and Morrowind? Well put it this way you can legitimately complete the game in about 10 minutes by abusing alchemy to buff yourself beyond belief.

Ian
09-11-2016, 07:36 AM
My trick of choice has always been to sneak with a full set of heavy, enchanted gear stuffed down my pants in case things get hairy.

Yevrah
14-11-2016, 07:11 PM
Still really struggling to get back into this. F4 might be on the same engine but the combat (and having VATS) is so much better.

Doesn't help that I played it to death before as well.

Raoul Duke
14-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Still really struggling to get back into this. F4 might be on the same engine but the combat (and having VATS) is so much better.

Doesn't help that I played it to death before as well.

What style are you going with? Is it different to what you did previously?

I'm still enjoying it. Up to level 25 now I think, going with a mix of Heavy Armour, Two-Handed and some Conjuration on the side for distraction/scouting. Faendal provides long-range support. I'm looking forward to picking up J'Zhargo at the Winterhold when I get there though.

I've got into the modding which has added some great tweaks here and there. It's not massively different but fixes quite a lot of the niggles which exist in the game and adds a bit of extra depth here and there.

Raoul Duke
15-11-2016, 12:06 AM
Spent some time grinding (in a non-Mert way) Conjuration so now I'm about level 80 in that, which means I can now summon Draemora Lords :drool:

Had an epic journey over to the College Of Winterhold which took most of the evening. Worth it though, to be able to unleash those beasts on people.

phonics
16-11-2016, 01:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxYkRFyW8AEsCrt.jpg:large

Brilliant. The rest is here: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/fallout-storytelling-skeleton/

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Went to Tovald's cave, was doing alright until I made it to Tovald's Gap.

My companion Lydia got raped instantly and I had to retreat up a ramp and pick them off one by one with my archery. Pushed on a little bit and I get fucked whenever I go out of a little hut I decided to sleep in.

I just get gang raped by falmers and Chaurus pricks. My gear is shit as I'm only level 11 and just started binging on alchemy plus I have no food or health potions.

Not sure what to do.

Might look at the mods tomorrow and see if I can get like a cave portal or something. I can't be arsed attempting to push on or try to find my way back.

Disco
16-11-2016, 09:16 PM
Just re-load.

Raoul Duke
12-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Just maxed out alchemy. Now I am richer than god :drool:

Hey peasants, buy my magic cordial for eleventy billion Septims. Cheers

Raoul Duke
27-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Been cracking through this over Xmas, although still not actually finished any of the major questlines/guilds. Maxed out alchemy, smithing and enchanting and have some phenomenal gear. Most things go down after a couple of swings now.

Been levelling up Pickpocket today, which is something I'd ignored previously. It's actually pretty neat and has some great perks in the tree. Being able to flog anything to anyone (via the Speech tree) is really handy for ransacking a town and making a shedload selling all my ill-gotten goods.

Yevrah
27-12-2016, 10:21 PM
If you've maxed out alchemy presumably you're not short of a bob or two anyway?

Raoul Duke
27-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Nah, I'm wedged. Just enjoying the thieving aspect of it really.

Yevrah
09-01-2017, 08:54 PM
After burning out on Fallout 4 and its settlement management I decided to start a game of this.

I fancied playing (or at least starting with) the base game so no mods have been added and it's Legendary difficulty. I have decided to resurrect some of the mental self-imposed rules that I played to on the 360 version, which strangely came back to me quicker than trying to ride a bike. Namely:

No fast travel
Have to eat and drink at least once a day
Need to sleep in a bed for at least 6 hours a day
Need to be taught a few levels of a skill by an NPC before I can use it
No alchemy until the mage's gild questline is finished
No buying smithing ingredients
No theft, which includes plants, barrels etc. that are clearly part of a town/someone's house, even if they're not marked as such

There are probably more as I get into it, but that's all I can recall for now. I've spent the first 4 days of the game scavenging around Riverwood and Whiterun, wearing a tattered tunic and footwraps whilst wielding an iron dagger, and am now chopping wood as I type this so Faendal can teach me 35 levels of archery.

It's quite fun.

Raoul Duke
09-01-2017, 09:48 PM
What are you playing as?

I haven't played for a few days as I've been finishing up my season in FIFA. Been ploughing through Dawnguard when I was on this though, and also went to my first Dwemer ruin :cool:

Yevrah
09-01-2017, 09:54 PM
I'm playing as a Nord with reasonably long (brown) hair and red face paint.

It's funny going back to this after Fallout 4, in that it's immediately apparent how right Bethesda got the living, breathing world in this and how much they muffed that for Fallout 4.

I've done a handful of quests so far (mostly misc ones in fairness) but haven't had to kill anyone yet and I can't recall ever doing two quests in a row in Fallout 4 without smearing someone's face all over the scenery.

Raoul Duke
13-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Yeah - FO4 definitely suffered from the KILL EVERYONE vibe. Very few could be done peacefully, but I guess that's a reflection on the violent/harsh environment. Skyrim is kinda default nice and ok.

CJay
30-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Not SE, but I've started playing this again. Currently playing a female sword and board Nord. I'm not perking heavy armor, however, so I'm relying pretty heavily on block to mitigate damage. Makes fights longer and more tactical. I often work to clear out the weakest enemies first so I can go one on one with the strongest one. Throwing in restoration spells for crowd control in draugr crypts and vampire lairs.

Raoul Duke
25-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Yevrah - you know there's a Survival Mode in Skyrim Creation Club? I just spotted it when I was loading up a save.

Yevrah
26-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I did. It’s not very good sadly.

Yevrah
13-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Went back to this and had another go at the Survival mode and it's not that bad. Using the self imposed rules below and playing on Legendary:

Need to be taught a few levels of a skill by an NPC before I can use it
No buying smithing ingredients

Done the usual archery rinsing of Faendal and am now closing in on level 8 as a result.

Disco
14-06-2019, 12:27 PM
I had the urge to play this just the other day after failing to get Oblivion working sensibly. I'll likely end up faffing about with mods for a couple of hours, play five minutes and give up.

Ian
14-06-2019, 12:57 PM
Ah, my current Crusader Kings 2 playstyle.

Yevrah
05-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Inspired by Many a True Nerd’s massive Skyrim Magicka based let’s play I started again as a High Elf who uses a sword when his Magicka bar runs dry.

Never relied this much on Magicka before and it’s great fun.

Yevrah
05-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Zyliath the High Elf if anyone fancies it:

https://mixer.com/40575248

Raoul Duke
05-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Missed it :moop:

I've still got to finish up my Khajit playthrough. I'd hit god tier by this point and was just wandering around splattering everyone with a giant hammer. Need to finish Dawnguard.

Yevrah
05-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Back on again now.

Raoul Duke
05-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Inspired by Many a True Nerd’s massive Skyrim Magicka based let’s play I started again as a High Elf who uses a sword when his Magicka bar runs dry.

Never relied this much on Magicka before and it’s great fun.

Definitely just saw you use a bow then :brighton:

You should try Conjuration. You can get some awesome multiple-character fights going once you've got a sidekick and a familiar

Yevrah
05-07-2019, 09:55 PM
Yeah, bizarrely I haven't found any conjuration spells yet. Which sucks a bit.

Raoul Duke
05-07-2019, 10:07 PM
The Jarl's wizards normally have a bunch?

Yevrah
05-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Holding fire on visiting him just yet. So maybe not so bizarrely then. :D

The game's so easy on any difficulty other than Legendary (which is just shit) I need to make my own pain.

Yevrah
05-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Fuck this game still looks stunning at times.

Raoul Duke
05-07-2019, 10:44 PM
What are you saving all these perks for?

Yevrah
05-07-2019, 10:55 PM
Not sure yet. Still getting to grips with how Survival works (as you can see from me trying to get rid of fatigue by sleeping on a bed roll) so don't want to commit at this stage, albeit I might have to to beat this fucker in the mine.

Yevrah
06-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Up to level 16 with my Elf mage and haven’t used a single perk point yet.

Fully immersed in the world again and can’t wait for TES6 as a result. If they sort the combat out it could be absolutely phenomenal.

Yevrah
12-07-2019, 04:04 PM
My High Elf is coming on nicely, just shy of level 27 as I type.

Cleared out most of the Falkreath area but am yet to unleash the dragons by progressing the main quest. Got my house in Falkreath sorted and have set up a vegetable soup and Damage Magicka Regen production line. :cool:

One thing I did notice that was odd is that the soul trap enchantment works best when you max the charges and min the time to trap to 1 second. Which I can't recall doing before.

phonics
12-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Did you ever play the MMO Yev? I've heard its quite good these days.

Alex
12-07-2019, 11:04 PM
I had a bit of a phase of almost getting back into this a couple of months ago but I just kept getting several hours into a save and not being able to resist the nagging feeling that I should restart as a different kind of character (this happens to me annoyingly often whenever I'm playing an RPG) and in the end I decided to just leave it alone.

I was using the survival mode they've added in though (on console, I now you can get all kinds of mods that achieve this on PC) and it was quite good. I didn't seem as good as I remember Fallout 4's being, but it still added a nice extra dimension to things.

I might go back to it yet. Just typing the post it making me want to, actually. The closest I came to being happy with a build was a big, two-handed Orc warrior. They have the best racial ability by a mile with the "berserker rage" thing. Especially playing with the difficulty pushed up a notch or two. Activating that could really get you out of a tight spot.

Yevrah
13-07-2019, 04:39 AM
I could have written that post myself Alex. Sounds remarkably similar. :D

I did a while back Phonics, and it was definitely shit then, but I too hear that it's got much better. That it has loads of Tamriel in it is really appealing.

Yevrah
13-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Oh and I didn't think it was that great to start with but the Surival mod through the creation club is really quite good. The food and sleeping is pretty standard, but the cold aspect to it adds a great level of immersion and creates moments of jeopardy in the game that just wouldn't be there without it.

Thoroughly recommend.

Alex
13-07-2019, 03:43 PM
The cold aspect of it is definitely the part I found the most challenging. Especially if you accidentally end up in the water in one of the colder areas of the map, it's brutal. Have you got the campfire add-on Yev? I found that to be a nice addition to it.

Yevrah
13-07-2019, 03:58 PM
I haven't as I felt like it might make things too easy and bizarrely I don't think you can remove creation club content without uninstalling the game.

I do a lot of self imposed stuff like that to make the game harder. I normally play on Legendary, but dropped that down to Master on this run due to having survival enabled, but I've just hit level 30 and decided to whack it up again as it's too easy.

Other things I'm doing is not buying any Smithing, Alchemy or Enchanting (souls) materials and just relying on finding them instead. Adds a real sense of achievement when you finish building a house, enchant a weapon etc.

Yevrah
16-07-2019, 01:13 AM
Just hit the 100,000 gold achievement. :cool:

Yevrah
16-07-2019, 05:41 PM
Level 42 and the dragons are unleashed. Looking forward to using shouts more on this play through, not really bothered that much in the past.

Yevrah
16-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Another bonus of not doing many quests to this point is that I’m only 4 levels off every levelled item in the game being available at its maximum.

Was heartbreaking when I first picked up Chillrend only to realise afterwards that if I’d waited until I was a higher level I’d have got a version that did more damage.

Raoul Duke
16-07-2019, 09:00 PM
I always mod that out as it's annoying

Yevrah
19-07-2019, 03:07 PM
I've started again. :moop:

It's a curse that plagues me. This time because I just can't seem to get the difficulty right.

Alex
19-07-2019, 05:06 PM
I feel your pain Yev. :console:

We need to start a support group. You going again with pretty much the same race/build?

Yevrah
19-07-2019, 06:30 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/s2XgT6sh/19-07-2019-19-22-20-irnf3cay.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I'm back.

Yevrah
19-07-2019, 10:09 PM
Went for the following set up in the end:

Difficulty: Master
Race: Nord

Creation Club Add-Ons:

Adventurer's Backpack
Arcane Accessories
Arcane Archer
Camping
Myrwatch
Shadowfoot Sanctum
Survival Mode
Tundra Homestead

I think what killed the previous save was an endless Smithing, Alchemy, Enchanting and Selling loop. Much more missions this time.

Yevrah
20-07-2019, 10:29 AM
And again. :moop:

The creation club stuff is so unbalanced and far too readily available.

Yevrah
20-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Right, this is the one.

Nord, Survival Mode, Master, not allowed to buy anything (for at least a fair while). Game on.

P_3
20-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Why Nord?

Yevrah
20-07-2019, 02:04 PM
I find it really hard to enjoy being anything else. Guess it's down to the Nord setting of the game. That and Nords are cool.

Yevrah
21-07-2019, 11:39 AM
This might be the one, finally.

Playing without buying anything really adds something.

Disco
21-07-2019, 11:48 AM
No towns is good fun too, especially if you give yourself bounties everywhere.

Ian
21-07-2019, 11:54 AM
How many hours have you put into Skyrim, Yev?

Yevrah
21-07-2019, 11:54 AM
How does that work? Wouldn't you rule out a shit ton of quests?

Yevrah
21-07-2019, 11:55 AM
How many hours have you put into Skyrim, Yev?

It's hard to say Ian. Weeks and weeks and weeks of actual playtime I'd suggest. There are still a shitload of quests I've never done though. The dream is to have a save that I don't get bored of where I finally do them all.

Maybe this is the one.

Disco
21-07-2019, 12:05 PM
How does that work? Wouldn't you rule out a shit ton of quests?

You do but most of the quests are rubbish so it's no great loss.

I always meant to go back to this to do boring stuff like collecting all the dragon masks or those shitty gems that I doubt anyone has ever bothered to get all of.

Ian
21-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Maybe I should give it a go again at some point. I mean I played it for 100 hours or something but then all of a sudden I was like "Nope, I'm done."

I suspect if I was gonna replay something that sizeable I'd go for either Witcher or one of the Bioware games.

Yevrah
21-07-2019, 12:17 PM
You do but most of the quests are rubbish so it's no great loss.

I always meant to go back to this to do boring stuff like collecting all the dragon masks or those shitty gems that I doubt anyone has ever bothered to get all of.

My brother had a single save that was something like 600+ hours and he got the gems.

Yevrah
21-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Maybe I should give it a go again at some point. I mean I played it for 100 hours or something but then all of a sudden I was like "Nope, I'm done."

I suspect if I was gonna replay something that sizeable I'd go for either Witcher or one of the Bioware games.

I mean it's 8 years old now so I won't deny it was a slog to get back into it, but while the combat is largely pants the xp-ing and world are on another level and I'm now hooked again.

Yevrah
21-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Blood on the Ice (a quest I'd never finished before) is such a buggy piece of shit.

Yevrah
21-07-2019, 01:55 PM
How the fuck do you actually get the amulet?

EDIT: Finally done it. If anyone gets back into this I'll talk you through it. The internet is not overly helpful.

Alex
21-07-2019, 03:49 PM
I find it really hard to enjoy being anything else. Guess it's down to the Nord setting of the game. That and Nords are cool.

I kind of know what you mean with this. The storyline is so Nord-centric that I always end up with a nagging feeling of being out of place if I'm not one. Or at least one of the human races. I get a bit too hung up on the lore sometimes, and sort of feel like if there was a non-human Dragonborn everyone would be like "no, not having that". Which I realise is ridiculous as the game allows you make whatever choice you want, but there you go!

It definitely feels like the "canon" Dragonborn is meant to be a Nord though, and probably one who runs around twatting things with a giant, two-handed weapon of some description. You get a nice bump to cold resistance as a Nord too, which comes in handy because the cold weather penalty can be brutal sometimes on survival mode, especially if you have to make a long trek out somewhere in the colder regions.

Yevrah
21-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Disappointing to see from the link below that the clothing warm ratings don't make that much sense.

http://skyrimforums.org/sf/threads/a-survival-mode-guide-to-armor-warmth.135301/

Raoul Duke
21-07-2019, 09:18 PM
There's probably a mod that fixes it.

I've got a mod to get all those Stones of Barenziah as I've never done it. Or the Dragon Priest masks. Then again, I've never actually completed Skyrim :cab:

Yevrah
24-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Absolutely loving this save now. Not buying anything makes a huge difference to exploring and the like.

Yevrah
24-07-2019, 09:16 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/yYSf4Sgy/Loric.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

That's Loric accompanied by Uthgerd the Unbroken. We're rocking quite the deadly team now.

Level - 25
Days Passed - 57
Quests Completed - 13
Misc. Objectives - 22
People Killed - 92
Animals Killed - 134
Creatures Killed - 6
Undead Killed - 41
Daedra Killed - 7
Automatons Killed - 0

Smithing - 32
Heavy Armor - 24
Block - 22
Two-Handed - 25
One-Handed - 53
Archery - 56
Light Armor - 33
Sneak - 22
Lockpicking - 26
Pickpocket - 51
Speech - 36
Alchemy - 61
Illusion - 17
Conjuration - 18
Destruction - 47
Restoration - 43
Alteration - 16
Enchanting - 35

Dwarven Sword of Thunderbolts - 20
Elven Bow - 17
Fur Armor (Fine) - 29
Fur Boots (Fine) - 7
Fur Bracers (Fine) - 8
Gauldur Amulet Fragment - 30pts Magicka
Mage's Circlet - 70pts Magicka
Ring of Resist Magic - 10%

Resist Frost - 50%
Agent of Mara - +15 Magic Resist

Magicka - 290
Health - 200
Stamina - 150

Yevrah
24-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Oh and using the atronach forge I've also acquired some conjuration spells. :cool:

Raoul Duke
24-07-2019, 09:50 PM
What are you playing as? Nord sword and bow, judging by your stats?

Yevrah
24-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Bit of everything really. The archery stat came from abusing Faendal whereas the one handed was earned.

Now I have the Conjure Storm Atronach spell and enough magicka to cast it I'm in business as a mage too.

Mike
27-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Picked up the Special Edition in a sale. If I install a mod like the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch, am I better doing it through the game, or via the nexus mod manager?

Raoul Duke
02-06-2020, 05:01 PM
Got the itch. Started playing this again. Still on my save I had from whenever this version came out, so level 61 or thereabouts. Currently faffing about with perks trying to see if I still want to keep on the same path.

Raoul Duke
20-08-2021, 07:07 AM
https://www.polygon.com/22633124/skyrim-anniversary-edition-november-11-special-edition-next-gen-fishing

This game will never die :drool:

Ian
20-08-2021, 07:16 AM
Skyrim: The Give Us More Of Your Money You Mugs Edition.

Yevrah
20-08-2021, 09:35 AM
Yep, that is a pathetic amount of new content for the game. I'd love to see an actual remaster with improved combat etc and while they're at it can we please have Fallout 3 with 4's combat system and mechanics.

Ian
20-08-2021, 09:56 AM
I know they're a big company and this will be a separate team doing this stuff and everything but honestly I'd really just rather they focus on making Starfield look like a game from.... well, let's say the 2010s first, I won't be so ambitious as to try and bring them into the 2020s right away.

Yevrah
20-08-2021, 10:02 AM
Having been acquired and given they actually know how to make good games (unlike say Ubisoft) I'd be funding that studio with whatever it wants were I Microsoft.

Ian
20-08-2021, 10:17 AM
I mean Bethesda basically make their own genre of sort-of-RPG-but-really-it's-just-stats games these days but they're popular so I assume Microsoft have told them to keep please doing what they've been doing, which is making largely the same game with slight differences.

I'm going to laugh very much if after all the anticipation Starfield still has the same dead-eyed NPCs, meh characters and non-choices.

I do find how into Skyrim people still are interesting though. Like, even people who don't go balls-deep on mods seem to still get a lot out of it. I played about 100 hours of it back when it came out because there's just so much of it, didn't get anywhere near finishing the tedious main story, went away from my PC for Christmas and when I came back just had zero interest in getting back to it. I'm not sure I've played any other game for that sort of amount of time only for it to have left genuinely zero impact on me.

Raoul Duke
20-08-2021, 11:08 AM
Yep, that is a pathetic amount of new content for the game. I'd love to see an actual remaster with improved combat etc and while they're at it can we please have Fallout 3 with 4's combat system and mechanics.

I'd rather they spent less time dicking around with Skyrim and put some graft into FO4

Disco
20-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Yeah it didn't hold my interest anywhere near as long as Oblivion let alone Morrowind.

Ian
20-08-2021, 11:15 AM
It's a real pity for me I came to Morrowind when I did when I hadn't really got into RPGs yet, and I suspect it would be a bit dated for me now but I suspect had I got into it at the time it would probably be my favourite Bethesda game by a long chalk. Oblivion is probably a "worse" game overall than Skyrim and fuck all those Oblivion gates but I think between the slight jank and the likes of the quests for whoever the madness god was it had more character and I feel a greater fondness for it.

Pepe
20-08-2021, 02:11 PM
I remember downloading Daggerfall back in the 56k modem days out of one of those Napster-like programs (Limewire? Kazaa? who knows). It came in like 200 parts and took weeks to download. Once it was done, the game was shit and crashed all the time.

Ian
20-08-2021, 02:32 PM
Kazaa. :drool:

I suspect if it was in 200 parts the reason the game didn't work is that twenty of those parts were for a different game, three were pictures of a grim-looking glamour model and one was a .wav of somebody fisting a goat.

All labelled as Daggerfall files, of course.

Pepe
20-08-2021, 02:52 PM
Downloading a song and getting two seconds of porn instead. :cool:

Ian
20-08-2021, 04:08 PM
Them were the days.

Disco
20-08-2021, 04:30 PM
There's a serviceable Unity port of Daggerfall now which fixes most of the wonkiness. It's still a shitshow in many ways but it does at least work.

Pepe
20-08-2021, 04:32 PM
Yeah, apart from not working and probably giving my computer aids, the game is just plain garbage.

Yevrah
02-01-2024, 05:48 PM
I think Bethesda have finally fixed this on console so that there's a way to play the special edition without all that immersion/difficulty level breaking creation club crap being present.