PDA

View Full Version : The UK Politics Thread [Wot did Jez do now...]

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Lee
02-12-2015, 10:40 PM
I live 10 minutes away from RAF Marham and to say it's been busy the past week or so would be an understatement.

I meant over a longer period. We've already been bombing Iraq, there's no border between the two countries. Who would even know?

Luke Emia
02-12-2015, 10:45 PM
Fucking hell Corbyns reaction to that speech was classic.

Yevrah
02-12-2015, 10:45 PM
I meant over a longer period. We've already been bombing Iraq, there's no border between the two countries. Who would even know?

For all the good it would do, no-one.

And where are you good chaps watching all that's going on in the House of Commons?

Alan Shearer The 2nd
02-12-2015, 10:47 PM
I live 10 minutes away from RAF Marham and to say it's been busy the past week or so would be an understatement.

Anyone know how many bombers we've been using thus far?

Akrotiri isn't far away at all so it won't be long.

Magic
02-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Did anyone else spot fat Salmond's smug face? Horrible little cunt.

Henry
02-12-2015, 10:51 PM
The chief whip did not vote with the Tories. That's just a lie doing the rounds.

Magic
02-12-2015, 10:51 PM

Can we merge them with Iraq and make a super pro-Western nation once Assad is toppled to really fuck the middle East up.

Lee
02-12-2015, 10:53 PM

And where are you good chaps watching all that's going on in the House of Commons?

I watched the last hour or so on BBC Parliament. Worth giving Benn's speech a listen. The end bit of it where he addresses his own party (brilliantly, and offers hope that it won't be dead after all) is on the BBC site's live coverage of the debate.

Lee
02-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Can we merge them with Iraq and make a super pro-Western nation once Assad is toppled to really fuck the middle East up.

The existing borders are made up anyway so I doubt it would make things any worse.

Jimmy Floyd
02-12-2015, 10:54 PM

The end of Benn's speech is up here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34990957 - but when the whole thing's up you really should watch it, I found it breathtaking and I'm not really sure whether I agree or not.

Magic
02-12-2015, 10:55 PM
That's a thumping majority sounds like more than 57... I'm assuming none of the Scots would have voted with the government on principle alone.

There's been stuff going around they've got to toe the party line and not free vote.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
02-12-2015, 10:55 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/01/talk-to-isis-jihadis-ira-negotiate-military-political-solution#comment-64413525

People suggest that there is nothing to talk to Isis about. But it is important to understand that talking to terrorists is not the same as agreeing with them. The British would never have discussed a united Ireland at the barrel of a gun against the wishes of the majority in Northern Ireland. But when we sat down with the IRA, its leaders wanted to talk about legitimate subjects like power-sharing and human rights. The same will be true of Isis. No one is going to talk to them about a universal caliphate, but we can talk about Sunni grievances and a way of ending violence.

Honestly. :D

Lee
02-12-2015, 10:56 PM
The end of Benn's speech is up here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34990957 - but when the whole thing's up you really should watch it, I found it breathtaking and I'm not really sure whether I agree or not.

I don't agree (with bombing alone anyway - we ought to stop fucking about letting our allies fund the cunts and fight them on the ground) and found it persuasive. I really hope Corbyn gets the arse and sacks him. He'd be out within the week.

Magic
02-12-2015, 10:57 PM
The existing borders are made up anyway so I doubt it would make things any worse.

Shia abs Sunni combining to make a great country. What could go wrong?

#nothingtodowithislam

Lee
02-12-2015, 10:57 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/01/talk-to-isis-jihadis-ira-negotiate-military-political-solution#comment-64413525

People suggest that there is nothing to talk to Isis about. But it is important to understand that talking to terrorists is not the same as agreeing with them. The British would never have discussed a united Ireland at the barrel of a gun against the wishes of the majority in Northern Ireland. But when we sat down with the IRA, its leaders wanted to talk about legitimate subjects like power-sharing and human rights. The same will be true of Isis. No one is going to talk to them about a universal caliphate, but we can talk about Sunni grievances and a way of ending violence.

We always talk in the end and we will do so with this lot. Not before they're starved/battered into submission though.

Magic
02-12-2015, 10:59 PM

See those blokes you set fire to and stuff, what's that really solving? I think we can sort something out.

Magic
02-12-2015, 11:02 PM
We always talk in the end and we will do so with this lot. Not before they're starved/battered into submission though.

The world has never had such a thing. Bar the high command of the third reich even the Nazis were just humans. These fuckers are worse than the Japanese in terms of no surrender. Every single one of them will suicide it up. There's no sovereign will to protect or leader to say enough or we'll disintegrate.

Henry
02-12-2015, 11:02 PM
I don't really agree, but you need to read the whole article rather than taking one quote out of context and pretending it means something he's already clarified that it doesn't.

I grow tired at the simplistic nature of this entire debate.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
02-12-2015, 11:04 PM
He made it clear it won't just be a case of 'talking' but you can't reason with a group that want to enforce Sharia law by any means necessary.

Henry
02-12-2015, 11:04 PM
Every single one of them will suicide it up.

This is either a fucking lie or an admission of complete ignorance, given that hundreds of them have been surrendering (http://www.globalresearch.ca/over-1000-militants-surrender-to-syrian-army-in-last-24-hours/5480962).

There's no sovereign will to protect

Also bullshit, since they believe Al-Baghdadi to be doing the divinely inspired will of Allah.

Lee
02-12-2015, 11:05 PM
The world has never had such a thing. Bar the high command of the third reich even the Nazis were just humans. These fuckers are worse than the Japanese in terms of no surrender. Every single one of them will suicide it up. There's no sovereign will to protect or leader to say enough or we'll disintegrate.

Some of the leaders are former members of the Iraqi Ba'ath Party, they're not all devout muslims. As always, it's about power and politics. The religious shit is useful for recruiting retards stupid enough to want to fight for a cause. It all goes the same way in the end. We'll kill enough people, roll back enough land, they'll have fuck all to cling to other than a need not to be killed themselves and they'll roll over.

Lee
02-12-2015, 11:07 PM
He made it clear it won't just be a case of 'talking' but you can't reason with a group that want to enforce Sharia law by any means necessary.

We talk to the Taliban who at the time were "the worst ever we can never talk to them there's no reasoning!". It's bullshit. There always comes a talking point.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
02-12-2015, 11:09 PM
We talk to the Taliban who at the time were "the worst ever we can never talk to them there's no reasoning!". It's bullshit. There always comes a talking point.

What did the Taliban want? For us to fuck off.

Magic
02-12-2015, 11:10 PM
This is either a fucking lie or an admission of complete ignorance, given that hundreds of them have been surrendering (http://www.globalresearch.ca/over-1000-militants-surrender-to-syrian-army-in-last-24-hours/5480962).

****According to some reports they could have up to 200k carrying out IS duties.

Also bullshit, since they believe Al-Baghdadi to be doing the divinely inspired will of Allah.

Yes but you can do that anywhere on earth, that was my point.

****on phone

Magic
02-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Some of the leaders are former members of the Iraqi Ba'ath Party, they're not all devout muslims. As always, it's about power and politics. The religious shit is useful for recruiting retards stupid enough to want to fight for a cause. It all goes the same way in the end. We'll kill enough people, roll back enough land, they'll have fuck all to cling to other than a need not to be killed themselves and they'll roll over.

We'll see.

GS
02-12-2015, 11:12 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-hilary-benns-extraordinary-speech-6944024

Full Hilary Benn speech.

Lewis
02-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Jonathan Powell wrote the same article last year. He's a twat.

Jimmy Floyd
02-12-2015, 11:18 PM
I don't think there's anyone capable of winding me up more than Jonathan Powell. If you read his memoir about the Blair years (which in typical twat fashion is described as 'Machiavelli and politics' or something) you will get a throm.

GS
02-12-2015, 11:19 PM
It's certainly interesting to see the MASSIVE government rebellion which Henry mentioned manifesting itself by scraping into double figures.

Lee
02-12-2015, 11:22 PM
It's certainly interesting to see the MASSIVE government rebellion which Henry mentioned manifesting itself by scraping into double figures.

To be fair to Henry if Labour weren't such a shambles that's a massive story given the nature of the vote. The government has a very slender majority. Corbyn is inadvertently protecting Cameron by being so shit.

GS
02-12-2015, 11:24 PM
To be fair to Henry if Labour weren't such a shambles that's a massive story given the nature of the vote. The government has a very slender majority. Corbyn is inadvertently protecting Cameron by being so shit.

About 12 Tory rebels? Hardly.

Henry
02-12-2015, 11:25 PM
To be fair to Henry if Labour weren't such a shambles that's a massive story given the nature of the vote. The government has a very slender majority.

This. Labour had a free vote and had 57 rebels. It would have been closer to the Tory number had it been whipped.

GS
02-12-2015, 11:26 PM
This. Labour had a free vote and had 57 rebels. It would have been closer to the Tory number had it been whipped.

Cameron had the authority to whip the party, who fell into line. Labour had a free vote because a sizeable number would have chosen to ignore the whip, including Hilary Benn who has just demonstrated quite emphatically that Corbyn is a no hoper.

The Shadow Chief Whip chose to abstain tonight, which is entertaining.

Lee
02-12-2015, 11:28 PM
About 12 Tory rebels? Hardly.

The majority is only 12. If Corbyn had any strength of leadership Cameron would have been close to losing a vote on going to war. That's a significant story.

GS
02-12-2015, 11:30 PM
The majority is only 12. If Corbyn had any strength of leadership Cameron would have been close to losing a vote on going to war. That's a significant story.

Cameron wouldn't have held the vote in those circumstances though. It's a deliberate government strategy ("we want consensus lads"), so it wouldn't have got to this stage and is therefore a moot argument. They knew had the votes before they called it.

GS
02-12-2015, 11:32 PM
Final figures appear to be 7 rebels and 7 abstentions on the Tory side. 67 Labour MPs voted with the government. DUP, UUP, one independent Unionist and the Lib Dems also voted with the government.

Lewis
02-12-2015, 11:41 PM
What sort of twat abstains on a vote like this?

Lee
02-12-2015, 11:41 PM
Cameron wouldn't have held the vote in those circumstances though. It's a deliberate government strategy ("we want consensus lads"), so it wouldn't have got to this stage and is therefore a moot argument. They knew had the votes before they called it.

Well quite. So the Prime Minister woul not even have the authority to hold a vote to take action he clearly feels strongly is in the national interest. That still sounds like a story to me.

Cameron must go to bed pissing every night. In fact footage could emerge of him pissing on his kids every night and he'd still be able to mock the Leader of the Opposition and win public support for doing so.

GS
02-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Well quite. So the Prime Minister woul not even have the authority to hold a vote to take action he clearly feels strongly is in the national interest. That still sounds like a story to me.

Cameron must go to bed pissing every night. In fact footage could emerge of him pissing on his kids every night and he'd still be able to mock the Leader of the Opposition and win public support for doing so.

Perhaps, but it's always been quite 'vague' on when a vote would be called and it's very much been on the back burner. It would just been postponed indefinitely until "we have consensus lads". They'll have quietly sounded out members of the PLP over the last couple of months to know which way the wind was blowing.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Corbyn could almost be referred to as the former leader of the opposition this evening. Benn will have significant moral and personal authority after this - certainly more so than Corbyn in the PLP.

Spammer
02-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Could anyone explain why we're particularly even needed to bomb Syria, with so many others involved aleady?

Lee
02-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Perhaps, but it's always been quite 'vague' on when a vote would be called and it's very much been on the back burner. It would just been postponed indefinitely until "we have consensus lads". They'll have quietly sounded out members of the PLP over the last couple of months to know which way the wind was blowing.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Corbyn could almost be referred to as the former leader of the opposition this evening. Benn will have significant moral and personal authority after this - certainly more so than Corbyn in the PLP.

The best hope Labour have is for Corbyn to sack Benn. It will definitely happen sooner or later. If sooner, while tonight is relatively fresh in the memory, then Corbyn will be utterly fucked. I can't see I've ever seen Benn himself as leadership material (and I don't think there has ever been a suggestion that he'd want it) but he's as good a focus as any for the end of this mad experiment.

GS
02-12-2015, 11:56 PM
Could anyone explain why we're particularly even needed to bomb Syria, with so many others involved aleady?

I think Hilary Benn's speech is probably the most succinct argument you're going to get for the strategic need and moral obligation that exists.

GS
02-12-2015, 11:56 PM
The best hope Labour have is for Corbyn to sack Benn. It will definitely happen sooner or later. If sooner, while tonight is relatively fresh in the memory, then Corbyn will be utterly fucked. I can't see I've ever seen Benn himself as leadership material (and I don't think there has ever been a suggestion that he'd want it) but he's as good a focus as any for the end of this mad experiment.

It'll be interesting to see the final shadow cabinet figures. It's a laugh whenever the leader is citing "we think half the shadow cabinet hasn't voted against his stated view".

Lewis
03-12-2015, 12:12 AM
So thirty per cent of Labour voted for it? You would think it was everybody but Jezza the way people are carrying on.

Boydy
03-12-2015, 12:14 AM
Are you a Tory now, GS?

GS
03-12-2015, 12:17 AM
Working life has demonstrated that this is the way forward. You should try it.

Lee
03-12-2015, 12:18 AM
A "High Tory", in his own words. Trust GS to go for the 17th century variant. :D

Boydy
03-12-2015, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I was taking the piss. I know you are. You don't have to be such a zealous convert though.

Lee
03-12-2015, 12:20 AM
Working life has demonstrated that this is the way forward. You should try it.

That's a mental statement. Apart from the sly dig. Everybody likes a sly dig.

Jimmy Floyd
03-12-2015, 12:21 AM
Labour are doomed whatever happens now because of the entryists. Look at what's happening to Stella Creasy at the moment. Some seriously vile people knocking about on the left fringes.

GS
03-12-2015, 12:22 AM
A "High Tory", in his own words. Trust GS to go for the 17th century variant. :D

For God, King and Country.

Yeah, I was taking the piss. I know you are. You don't have to be such a zealous convert though.

Piss-taking aside, this is partly because Labour represent a barely credible opposition and haven't done so since Ed Miliband was elected. I could give you a long list of reasons why I just don't like the Labour party any more, but I'm sure you're not interested.

Reg
03-12-2015, 12:23 AM
Lewis, I know you're a big Jez fan now :cool:, but did you vote Tory last election?

Lee
03-12-2015, 12:23 AM

GS is now to the Tories what Ginner was to the Lib Dems in the 2010 election thread. It's making him a much worse poster, which is a shame as he used to be brilliant.

GS
03-12-2015, 12:24 AM
That's a mental statement. Apart from the sly dig. Everybody likes a sly dig.

It's not actually. It's two fold. 1) Now I'm working and handing over tax, I don't want to see it pissed up the wall by a government who have no SELF CONTROL and can't MANAGE OUR ECONOMY. I also don't want to see it handed to a series of chancers on benefits whilst I turn up and actually work hard for my money.

2) I've been out in various businesses / sole traders over the last few years given the nature of the work and the one thing I've realised is that these places actually CREATE JOBS and need support. The left seem to expect people to feel guilty for making money.

Boydy
03-12-2015, 12:25 AM
Labour are doomed whatever happens now because of the entryists. Look at what's happening to Stella Creasy at the moment. Some seriously vile people knocking about on the left fringes.
Aye, I don't get that at all with her. She's good. Did she vote for it in the end? She hadn't even made up her mind earlier when her constituency office was being protested at and her office workers getting abuse.

Piss-taking aside, this is partly because Labour represent a barely credible opposition and haven't done so since Ed Miliband was elected. I could give you a long list of reasons why I just don't like the Labour party any more, but I'm sure you're not interested.

I would be if you posted it in a reasonable manner rather than one of your usual condescending rants. I don't even mean the sly dig (as Lee says, everyone loves one), your general posting has gone way downhill these days. You used to be good.

Reg
03-12-2015, 12:26 AM
There's a few things in that post but... "A series of chancers". Jesus. Thought you were a bit less gullable than that.

GS
03-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Aye, I don't get that at all with her. She's good. Did she vote for it in the end? She hadn't even made up her mind earlier when her constituency office was being protested at and her office workers getting abuse.

I would be if you posted it in a reasonable manner rather than one of your usual condescending rants. I don't even mean the sly dig (as Lee says, everyone loves one), your general posting has gone way downhill these days. You used to be good.

Trying to argue the point on here is the equivalent of kicking a football against a wall and having it go flying past you every time, so you have to turn around and run after it It's just not very fun, so I don't bother.

As you said yourself the other day, my posting is become less frequent so consider yourself fortunate that's the case if that is indeed your view.

Boydy
03-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Feels the same here. I can't be arsed with politics on here much any more. We all know where each other stands and no one is going to change their mind.

Lewis
03-12-2015, 12:33 AM
Lewis, I know you're a big Jez fan now :cool:, but did you vote Tory last election?

I suspect I'll always end up voting for the Conservative Party as the least shit option, but they're still terrible.

Spoonsky
03-12-2015, 12:44 AM

Is that "heere!" thing from the audience common? It's pretty lol.

Reg
03-12-2015, 12:48 AM
"Hear, hear", Spoon. It means you agree, and very common.

Spoonsky
03-12-2015, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I did know what it meant despite using the wrong "hear" above. It just sounds very silly.

Magic
03-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Tradition, mate.

Lee
03-12-2015, 09:19 AM
It is very silly. It's great when there's proper debate or a brilliant speech but otherwise it's just a place for years to act like schoolboys.

Jimmy Floyd
03-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Not sure what's wrong with 'hear, hear'.

Of all the brilliant pieces of hypocrisy around this on both sides of the debate, I think my favourite one is George Galloway calling Labour MPs who voted for air strikes 'traitors', and in the next breath praising Russia for their air strikes. It shows that for the likes of him it's not actually about the issue at all.

Henry
03-12-2015, 10:13 AM

Nope. Nobody can. "Because they're really bad" seems to be the height of it.

Jimmy Floyd
03-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Am also enjoying the Corbynistas comparing Benn's speech to one of Adolf Hitler's.

Lewis
03-12-2015, 11:55 AM
I like the idea that Tony Benn would have waited until now to be ashamed of his son.

Jimmy Floyd
03-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Dennis Skinner has now called him 'Ramsay McBenn' in the House. That really is commendable commitment to being Dennis Skinner.

phonics
03-12-2015, 12:12 PM
My phone won't copy paste so Ill just say it here.

Rob Faheys piece on this is Quite Excellent.

simon
03-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Decent speech from Hilary Benn. Slightly makes up for the fact that he's a bloke called Hilary.

Mellberg
03-12-2015, 12:56 PM
It made Cameron's rallying cry after Paris look like he was tucking his kids in.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
03-12-2015, 09:06 PM
How much outrage (or should that be faux outrage?) have people been seeing on their facebook feeds?

http://s9.postimg.org/7fb482rn3/lol.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Calm down, mate.

Baz
03-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Depends who you're mates with, really.

https://i.imgur.com/rq9PVfK.png

:huhu:

Magic
03-12-2015, 09:13 PM
How much outrage (or should that be faux outrage?) have people been seeing on their facebook feeds?

http://s9.postimg.org/7fb482rn3/lol.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Calm down, mate.

Tell him to fuck off to Syria then.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
03-12-2015, 09:15 PM
He's far from an idiot too.

Magic
03-12-2015, 10:04 PM
SNP supporter aye?

Alan Shearer The 2nd
03-12-2015, 10:18 PM
SNP supporter aye?

No, surprisingly enough. Yes voter though.

Magic
03-12-2015, 10:32 PM
Even worse. At least the SNPites know they're complete cunts that can't accept reality. A non-nationalist voting for lies and rhetoric is both blind and stupid. And you said he wasn't thick?

Toby
03-12-2015, 11:20 PM
:harold:

Toby
03-12-2015, 11:27 PM
Anyway, did any of us have the foresight to buy shares in BAE Systems last week?

Boydy
04-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Anyway, did any of us have the foresight to buy shares in BAE Systems last week?

Didn't they jump up straight after the Laris attack? Or at least some arms company did if it wasn't them.

Jimmy Floyd
04-12-2015, 12:22 AM
In this Oldham by-election (which Labour will win) the loonies have put up a man called Sir Oink-A-Lot, complete with a false pig's snout tied to his face on string, a false beard and a tiny bowler hat. I fucking love this country.

Lewis
04-12-2015, 12:23 AM
I remember being all proud when it was briefly the biggest arms dealer in the world a couple of years ago. I think it's still about third behind the American rackets, which is quite an achievement when you think about it.

Lewis
04-12-2015, 01:25 AM
I think the UKIP punters were a bit optimistic, but I still thought it would be closer than that. If UKIP can't win those sort of seats after this sort of week, what can they win, and what happens to their replacing Labour in the North shit once we've had the referendum?

Lewis
04-12-2015, 01:29 AM
'Nigel' is questioning the result, and Paul Nuttall[s] is blaming Asians and postal voters. They're obviously asking themselves the same questions.

Lee
04-12-2015, 07:56 AM
Farage is embarrassing himself this morning.

Henry
04-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Not sure what's wrong with 'hear, hear'.

Of all the brilliant pieces of hypocrisy around this on both sides of the debate, I think my favourite one is George Galloway calling Labour MPs who voted for air strikes 'traitors', and in the next breath praising Russia for their air strikes. It shows that for the likes of him it's not actually about the issue at all.

A lot like David Cameron, then, who condemned Russian strikes on the same grounds that people are now condemning his.

Henry
04-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Bigger majority than the general election bitches. Great result for Corbyn.

"Rigged" :lol:

Jimmy Floyd
04-12-2015, 08:53 AM
Corbyn's masterstroke there was cancelling his own visit to the seat.

Toby
04-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Didn't they jump up straight after the Laris attack? Or at least some arms company did if it wasn't them.

Share price has almost trebled since then but it's been rising steadily almost every day. Even if you bought some last week you'd still have seen it almost double in the time since.

GS
04-12-2015, 10:38 AM
I think Labour had a very good local candidate in Oldham, which made a big difference. Laughable from UKIP mind you.

Kikó
04-12-2015, 10:44 AM
What do you know about the local candidates in Oldham? Can you give us a brief overview?

Magic
04-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Not brown = very good?

Lee
04-12-2015, 11:00 AM
He was the council leader, I think, so well known. Smithson was on about sticking money on him as a future leader a couple of weeks back.

GS
04-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Yes, he's been the local council leader since he was 28 in a staunchly Labour area. He seems to have very good name recognition in the constituency, certainly based on what I've been reading this week. He's a moderate, pro business candidate, so hardly cut from the Corbyn cloth. They may have struggled if they'd parachuted someone in to a perceived "safe seat".

Davgooner
04-12-2015, 11:26 AM
He's a 'pro business' cunt. :nodd:

Boydy
04-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Proper local candidate who's worked his way up through local politics. Good to see.

As I've said before, I think a residency requirement of 5 years (the length of a parliament) in the constituency you want to run for would be a good idea. See how many of the careerist twats want to go live in their constituencies then.

Jimmy Floyd
04-12-2015, 11:33 AM
He's probably already been targeted for deselection by 'Momentum'.

I live in a nice Surrey constituency but our MP moved in literally in the April before the May election when he got in. Twat.

Henry
04-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Deselection of Blairites can't happen soon enough in my view. Get on with it.

Jimmy Floyd
04-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Lol. One way ticket to a world record election defeat, that.

Henry
04-12-2015, 12:01 PM
If we're talking about entryists, then the Tories who took over the Labour party surely qualify, and should be shown the door.

GS
04-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Deselection of Blairites can't happen soon enough in my view. Get on with it.

Do you want the Tories to win?

Jimmy Floyd
04-12-2015, 12:05 PM
If we're talking about entryists, then the Tories who took over the Labour party surely qualify, and should be shown the door.

What qualifies one as a 'Tory'? A lifetime of Labour membership and activism seems not to.

Henry
04-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Do you want the Tories to win?

You know I don't agree with your analysis, so loading your question in this way is unhelpful.

Henry
05-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Prior to the Oldham victory for Corbyn's Labour:

The Daily Heil: "A Waterloo moment."...“Tonight will deliver the first proper electoral verdict on Mr. Corbyn’s leadership of the Labour Party...it is also a timely reassessment of Nigel Farage’s aspirations to make UKIP a credible alternative to Labour in the urban North of England....No doubt that Labours majority will be slashed"

The Sun: Corbyn's supporters are a “moronic Marxist mob” who called Hilary Benn a “warmonger instead of feting him as a hero.....Voters are repulsed...By the time you read this, we will know what those in Oldham think of it.”

:lol:

phonics
05-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Anti-Terror Police take 12 year old out of class and threaten him for organising a protest to save his Youth Club on Facebook.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/boy-12-hauled-out-class-268999#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Only Big Society left is Big Brother, mate.

Boydy
05-12-2015, 01:41 PM
That can't be true or at least can't be exactly like what was written there.

Lewis
05-12-2015, 02:34 PM
The collective MELTDOWN over the Stop the War wallies comparing the 'internationalism and solidarity' of jihadists with the International Brigades is quite funny. It seems quite accurate in terms of what words actually mean, although they might have a point in that the Muslamics haven't killed as many innocent people yet.

phonics
06-12-2015, 11:49 AM
MP tries to get in on the 'They're being mean to me on the internet!' action.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3346220/Tory-MP-voted-bomb-Syria-Facebook-death-threat-row-adding-unless-die-constituent-s-email.html

Issue being she added the death threat to the email herself :D

Lewis
06-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Spiked out-did themselves with this the other day. In short (http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/labours-crybaby-bombardiers/17703), lol at voting to bomb a country and then whining about mean tweets.

Jimmy Floyd
06-12-2015, 02:43 PM
The gist of the article is right concerning MPs voting to bomb things, but this is bullshit and undermines it:

Let’s get a few things straight. First of all, if you’re over 16 – let alone a prominent politician – you’ve got no right to claim you’re being bullied. Bullying is what happens in the playground.

Lewis
06-12-2015, 07:09 PM

:cool:

Henry
06-12-2015, 10:31 PM
The collective MELTDOWN over the Stop the War wallies comparing the 'internationalism and solidarity' of jihadists with the International Brigades is quite funny. It seems quite accurate in terms of what words actually mean, although they might have a point in that the Muslamics haven't killed as many innocent people yet.

Hadn't heard anything about that. What meltdown?

Lewis
06-12-2015, 10:44 PM
It might just have been the sort of people I follow on the Twitter, but he's been getting shit today for refusing to distance himself from Stop the War.

Davgooner
07-12-2015, 08:35 AM

:cool:

He should turn up at PMQs in that hat.

Jimmy Floyd
07-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Something for anyone on the geekier end of politics as YouGov have published a report into how and why they got their general election polling wrong: https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/12/07/analysis-what-went-wrong-our-ge15-polling-and-what/

This paragraph is the key part:

The younger age range within the samples over-represent those who are more engaged in politics and are therefore more likely to vote. As younger people, they disproportionately supported Labour, so having too many young voters in our likely voter sample skewed the overall result towards Labour. We believe we had the party voting proportions for this age group correct but that fewer of them actually voted than our sample suggested. This can be corrected in the future in two ways: a) interviewing the correct proportion of people who are less interested in politics, and b) weighting the sample to the expected turnout for different demographic groups. The problem with both of these is that, unlike in the US where detailed exit poll data is publicly available, in the UK no detailed information is available by which we can know the correct target proportions for each age group. However, we can make better estimates of them.

I hope for his sake that someone in Jezza's team has pinned up a huge motivational poster on his office wall reading 'The thing with non-voters is that they don't fucking vote'.

Lee
07-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Something for anyone on the geekier end of politics as YouGov have published a report into how and why they got their general election polling wrong: https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/12/07/analysis-what-went-wrong-our-ge15-polling-and-what/

This paragraph is the key part:

I hope for his sake that someone in Jezza's team has pinned up a huge motivational poster on his office wall reading 'The thing with non-voters is that they don't fucking vote'.

I've read that non-voters tend to break the same way as voters anyway so targeting them makes fuck all difference.

I think I also read that even securing his target audience of young non-voters wouldn't be anything like enough for anything but electoral defeat.

Henry
07-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Politics is the art of persuasion. If it couldn't be done, everyone would give up and go home.

Yevrah
07-12-2015, 08:07 PM
So not enough young people, despite pissing and moaning about the EVIL Tories, couldn't be arsed to get out of bed before 10 and down to the polling station?

Or maybe they listened to Brand and didn't bother voting as a result? It'd be delightful if that monstrous twat's message had inadvertently secured the Tories a majority...

Alan Shearer The 2nd
07-12-2015, 08:17 PM
Is he dead yet? I haven't seen anything about him for ages.

Yevrah
07-12-2015, 08:20 PM
I don't think he's any less active than he was when he was at peak levels, I'm guessing a lot of people realised that he was full of shit and more importantly the broadcasters realised he wasn't particularly newsworthy.

The only thing I've got any time for him with are his thoughts on drugs, which do make a lot of sense, but his political stuff was just embarrassing.

phonics
07-12-2015, 08:33 PM
So not enough young people, despite pissing and moaning about the EVIL Tories, couldn't be arsed to get out of bed before 10 and down to the polling station?

Or maybe they listened to Brand and didn't bother voting as a result? It'd be delightful if that monstrous twat's message had inadvertently secured the Tories a majority...

The young have never voted (I'm not sure where the Russell Brand bit comes from) Or in my case, didn't believe in that Labour party. When I was in the UK for the election that eneded up forming the coalition, I knew a few 'politically active' people who refused to register as the banks and student loan use it to find you. There are all types of cirmunstances when we're talking about a rather small slice of the vote. Old people will always outweigh young people (in pure numbers) and they're more likely to vote because it'll be the most exciting thing they've done since the last time they voted.

Lewis
07-12-2015, 08:44 PM
I like those articles moaning about how the government showers old people with money (which it does). Yeah. Because they vote. If you voted...

Lee
07-12-2015, 08:49 PM
The leader of the Labour Party went to meet Russell Brand in a General Election campaign because he thought it might help him win. Fuck me.

Jimmy Floyd
07-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Then again, he also posed in front of a large boulder with platitudes carved into it. And yet that era now seems like a frenzied orgy of competence in Labour's history.

Disco
07-12-2015, 09:40 PM
The leader of the Labour Party went to meet Russell Brand in a General Election campaign because he thought it might help him win. Fuck me.

Given that he also thought making his own gigantic gravestone was a good idea I'm not sure how much this tells us.

Yevrah
07-12-2015, 10:01 PM
A moment to reflect on the policy obelisk please. RIP.

Disco
07-12-2015, 10:04 PM
:D Consult the Policy Obelisk.

Jimmy Floyd
07-12-2015, 10:06 PM
http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1436811/ed-stone-cropped.jpg

It was such a waste of a good obelisk putting those bland, meaningless policies on it as well.

Lee
07-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Didn't he say he was goimg to plamt it in the Downing Street garden? How the fuck does something like that get past however many groups you have to approve such shit?

Raoul Duke
07-12-2015, 10:52 PM
The spacing on that last one if atrocious.

It's so 'The Thick Of It' it's remarkable it's not been revealed to be an elaborate Joaquin Pheonix side project.

niko_cee
07-12-2015, 11:17 PM
I thought that, but then realised there was more of number 5 out of shot. Still, it does look shit. Keep it pithy to get the typography nice.

phonics
08-12-2015, 01:38 PM
He should turn up at PMQs in that hat.

Nah, just bring the scarf

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVtQrC-WUAEX_Lw.jpg:large

Boydy
09-12-2015, 03:04 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/09/tony-blair-tragedy-of-labour-under-corbyn

On foreign policy, he said: “Post 9/11, I became convinced that Islamist extremism was the security issue of our time. People can agree or disagree with the decisions which I took and the emphasis I put on the partnership with the USA, but I took them not in defiance of progressive politics but in furtherance of them.”

Iraq was full of Islamic extremism before it was invaded, of course.

Lewis
09-12-2015, 03:29 PM
In other words, it gave him an excuse to live up to that horrendous 'Chicago Speech' he made in 1999. Twat.

Boydy
11-12-2015, 01:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKnAiAlKnBE

What a lovely man. He's like a kind old grandad. I'd love a kind old grandad running the country.

Toby
11-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Remember when people said that about Roy Hodgson?

Boydy
11-12-2015, 01:58 PM
No, I don't.

Kikó
11-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Roy would do a job as PM.

phonics
13-12-2015, 11:20 AM

I'm sure he's a Lizard in a suit or something.

Lee
13-12-2015, 12:02 PM
He'd be a fucking disaster as Tory leader. He's been to the Gordon Brown School of Looking a Wanker in Public.

phonics
13-12-2015, 12:14 PM
http://usvsth3m.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/MiftnyD.gif

Raoul Duke
13-12-2015, 12:14 PM
He also doesn't blink. Definitely an illuminati space lizard/robot.

Lewis
13-12-2015, 01:35 PM
He'd be a fucking disaster as Tory leader. He's been to the Gordon Brown School of Looking a Wanker in Public.

He's been to the Gordon Brown School of everything.

Jimmy Floyd
13-12-2015, 01:40 PM
When they all stood in the same weird fashion at Conference I was beginning to think Icke might have had a point.

Boydy
13-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Why does he always have that weird spaced out look like he doesn't know where he is or what the fuck is going on?

Jimmy Floyd
13-12-2015, 03:43 PM
It's probably a symptom of being at the absolute extreme end of knowing absolutely every minute detail of where he is and what is going on, and what that means for his leadership chances.

I think he's a genius but his obsession with being leader is going to cost him and if not him, then the Tories. That said Theresa May would be far worse. Boris to the rescue.

phonics
13-12-2015, 03:48 PM
How does the Leadership vote work for the Cons? Membership vote or is it MP selection?

Disco
13-12-2015, 03:58 PM
The parliamentary party vote do they not?

Lee
13-12-2015, 04:01 PM
It's probably a symptom of being at the absolute extreme end of knowing absolutely every minute detail of where he is and what is going on, and what that means for his leadership chances.

I think he's a genius but his obsession with being leader is going to cost him and if not him, then the Tories. That said Theresa May would be far worse. Boris to the rescue.

He is a brilliant politician but people just don't like him. May is hateful but definitely has a supporter base. She'd tank at a General Election though, more so than Osborne. Johnson gives the Tories another couple of terms, I reckon.

Lewis
13-12-2015, 04:17 PM
'Boris' is rubbish. Putting Sajid Javid up against a self-indulgent, middle class Labour Party would be pretty good.

Jimmy Floyd
13-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Boris has won London twice against Ken's IRA machine, he'd piss any general election. He also polls the best of any politician by an absolute mile.

Lewis
13-12-2015, 04:28 PM
He won it at the height of Davemania, and isn't Zac 'Out of Touch' Goldsmith currently level-ish with local curry-muncher made good Sadiq Khan? He would have the piss ripped out of him at a general election. He's a twat.

Boydy
13-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Fucking hell, Lewis.

ItalAussie
13-12-2015, 11:12 PM

He looks like Ollie Reeder, but gone badly to seed.

Pavel
14-12-2015, 12:00 AM

Like an evil Dylan Moran, thinking up a not quite fantastic way to tax air.

phonics
14-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Interesting article on how we spent hundreds of millions on Aid for Yemen only to support the Saudi's in blowing it all to shit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/yemen/12048207/British-aid-and-military-policy-pursuing-different-ends-in-Yemen.html

Lewis
14-12-2015, 01:17 PM
The point of overseas aid is to be seen spending it. Having it blown up means they have something else to spend it on.

Boydy
16-12-2015, 09:18 AM

:D

Ha.

Henry
16-12-2015, 09:30 AM
That's brilliant. :D

I'm not buying this "political genius" stuff either. He's a fuckup.

Jimmy Floyd
16-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Who would you rate as the most competent politician currently operating in one of the Westminster parties?

Henry
16-12-2015, 09:36 AM
Alex Salmond is probably the best politician at the moment.

John Arne
16-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Alex Salmond is probably the best politician at the moment.

Wasn't Salmond ready to march Scotland into financial oblivion last year?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11483905/Nicola-Sturgeon-admits-independence-oil-figures-were-wrong.html

Henry
16-12-2015, 09:58 AM
I'm not talking about being in agreement with him.

Jimmy Floyd
16-12-2015, 10:02 AM
My answer is Gove, by the way. Ed Balls would have competed for the title, but, you know.

Spammer
16-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Gove is regarded by pretty much everyone working in a school as having no idea what he was doing or having a clue about schools. Listening to him talk, he never really seemed to. Not sure how his new job's going. A Yougov survey focusing specifically on teachers suggested that while 33% of teachers supported the Tories at the last election, it was down to about 15% last year. He even turned Tories away. He was hated in schools for being completely out of touch.

Jimmy Floyd
16-12-2015, 10:39 AM
That's the problem with teachers, they think it's about them.

Spammer
16-12-2015, 10:49 AM

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Davgooner
16-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Jim, respect the profession.

Jimmy Floyd
16-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Teachers have acted the same throughout British history, ranging from mild fury when Labour are in charge to total apoplectic rage when the Tories are. Mostly politicians steer well clear, but Gove had the balls to take them on - not saying he got everything right, but he made a very good stab at improving the school system - moving the emphasis away from the ideological purity of process and towards better outcomes - and the response from the teaching masses was predictable.

And as long as teachers continue to have the attitude that they and only they know how education should happen on a micro and macro level, we'll keep on needing more Goves. Pity Dave bottled it before the election really.

Davgooner
16-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Academies though. What a cluster-fuck.

Spammer
16-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Teachers have acted the same throughout British history, ranging from mild fury when Labour are in charge to total apoplectic rage when the Tories are.

Either that, or maybe different teachers behave in different ways because they're different people and not a homogeneous mass. You can talk about the unions as a reference point but it just doesn't make sense if you're talking about every specific teacher. It's a bit dangerous really, when you assume anything about specific teachers or relate to them when you're talking about the unions. The unions will always moan - that's their job, and it's the same with any other profession.

Edit: This is probably largely a response to the daft "all teachers are like this, all teacher are like that" shite you came out with earlier.

Mostly politicians steer well clear, but Gove had the balls to take them on

Steer well clear of what, exactly? Reform? It's in constant reform. One of the things so annoying about working in schools is that everything's always changing. It's a political hot potato, everyone who turns up wants to look like they're changing it all and the reference points they often work with get canned and new ones come in regularly. You mean free schools/academies?

not saying he got everything right, but he made a very good stab at improving the school system - moving the emphasis away from the ideological purity of process and towards better outcomes - and the response from the teaching masses was predictable.

What better outcomes are you on about? Grades?

The problem was that the attitude he wanted in schools was out of touch with what it's like to actually teach. You can reduce everything down to 'ooh we got a 10% increase in GCSE A-C grades this year = win' but it's not as simple as that because, you know, you can't reduce people down to a bunch of numbers on a piece of paper, and you can't help the kids with grades without considering their circumstances. Focusing on 'traditional methods and discipline' as he seemed to call it, just ends up fucking up entirely when kids get disillusioned by the whole process as a result of how it's being done. It's easy to talk as clinically as he did when you're not in the classroom but it's inhumane when you're actually on individual terms with the kids involved, which is something he never seemed to appreciate. It'd probably work in the kind of schools he went to, mind you, with the kind of kids that go to those schools. Try it with a bunch of kids from the local estate though it's just unhelpful and counter-productive.

Boydy
16-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Bring back the cane.

Spammer
16-12-2015, 12:31 PM
They'll come back with a knife.

Lewis
16-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Teachers and health professionals must be the only workers whose unions exist for us rather than to defend their own conditions. God bless them all. Michael Gove actually provided teachers with a means of escaping his micro-managing, but then they moaned like shit about free schools as well (they should let business into those whilst Labour are on their arse), so fuck them.

John
16-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Weren't you a teacher's assistant for about fifteen minutes, Hammer?

Spammer
16-12-2015, 12:54 PM
No, teacher. 3 years Ed Studies and PGCE. Worked in schools throughout. Partner was a teacher for 3 years after I left.

Lovely contribution though. Ad hominem bollocks is lovely to see.

John
16-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Predictable. Better than this.

I know a load of teachers, mostly Primary but a couple of Secondary, and have been seeing one on and off for a few years now. The education system is obviously different in Scotland than it is in England so I can't speak to that but they all reckon that teachers who work together end up operating in a sort of hive mind. The older ones, who are more plentiful, are far more likely to kick up a fuss when a change affects them personally than the younger ones, who go the opposite way, but generally speaking they all moan about the same things in the same ways.

That's why I was querying your experience, because what you've said goes against everything I've heard about teachers from numerous teachers in numerous schools.

Don't let that get in the way of your pathetic, precious twattery, though. It's genuinely good fun.

Boydy
16-12-2015, 01:33 PM
To be fair to Hammer, you did basically just have a go at him and accused him of having next to no experience when you were wrong about that.

John
16-12-2015, 01:38 PM
I wasn't having a go. I knew he'd studied it at length because I remember that excellent essay he wrote about the kid who's gran had died or whatever it was, I just remember him becoming disillusioned with the whole thing and deciding he had to do something else much quicker than he apparently did.

Spammer
16-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Sorry, what twattery? I responded to a borderline offensive comment but not taking it seriously, and I clarified a further response in my next post.

You've gone and explained your position on it and interactions with teachers - which is fair enough - but only bothered to do it after questioning my experience. Why not just explain your perspective in the first place instead of doing that? Who's the twat again?

Boydy
16-12-2015, 02:00 PM
You both have valid points so be nice and stop calling each other names.

John
16-12-2015, 02:05 PM
That was a general point. Any time you're questioned on anything you get chippy and precious. It's a running theme, and it's twattery.

That said, if you're going to get this irked by it you probably shouldn't have a post like the following as your opening contribution.

Spammer
16-12-2015, 02:21 PM
That wasn't my opening contribution, if you read the thread. That was my laughing off Jimmy's flippant response to the point I made.

John
16-12-2015, 02:29 PM
You're right. It was your second post. That makes a huge difference.

Enough childish nonsense.

Boydy
16-12-2015, 02:33 PM
I don't see what was so wrong with this post by Hammer:

Considering it was in response to this by Jim:

That's the problem with teachers, they think it's about them.

I think you're being a bit of a tool here, John.

John Arne
16-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Yup. John has the first pop, then goes off on one at Hammer for responding. Bit weird.

Spammer
16-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Erm, yeah. I think the context does make a difference. Look at what he suggested, which was directed at teachers, and look at the quote in response. Its a fair bit different to just turning up out of nowhere to have a pop at people and then getting to the point afterward, like some people do ;)

John
16-12-2015, 02:58 PM
I don't see what was so wrong with this post by Hammer:

There's nothing wrong with it, as long as you don't then go on to be a precious twat about someone daring to question you about five posts later.

Erm, yeah. I think the context does make a difference. Look at what he suggested, which was directed at teachers, and look at the quote in response. Its a fair bit different to just turning up out of nowhere to have a pop at people and then getting to the point afterward, like some people do ;)

Again, I wasn't having a pop. I remembered you binning off the teaching far quicker than would seem reasonable for someone who was actually taking classes themselves. I didn't think you were an actual teacher, hence 'teacher's assistant', and I didn't think you were at it long, hence 'fifteen minutes'. If you're insecure enough to mistake glib phrasing for me having a go at you then that's fine, but it's your problem, not mine.

Had you responded to that without that bizarre 'ad hominem' shit I wouldn't have called you precious, and there we are.

Boydy
16-12-2015, 03:02 PM
He'd made a decent and informed post as his last one in the thread before you came in and then you tried to undermine him by saying he'd not even been a teacher and had only been in a classroom for a very short time. Just admit you've acted the cunt and move on or at least stop trying to defend it.

Lewis
16-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Teachers are wankers though. Let's not miss that important point.

Toby
17-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Letter writers to The National in full caricature mode today:

I WONDER if your readers can help me ?

I often wonder about who or what decides the items and priorities for The News, but tonight my puzzlement plumbed new depths. The first 12 – yes twelve – minutes of the BBC 6 O’Clock News were devoted to what was portrayed as a tremendous British achievement (Major Tim Peake, the first British astronaut to visit the ISS). Union Jacks everywhere, live coverage of the astronaut’s family and friends at the launch, coverage of the excitement at the astronaut’s former primary school, etc etc.

My first thoughts were that this was the BBC just following a Government line, to promote Britishness: after all we were told that the Prime Minister had been glued to his TV for the launch. But Channel 4 News followed suit at 7pm.

I had understood that many astronauts from different countries have for years been ascending to the International Space Station, courtesy of Russian launch capability, to assist with research projects, and expand the Space Station. So why the tremendous importance of this evening’s news, the excessive prioritisation of what is a very small event, one of a continuum on the international stage, as if it was something truly, uniquely, important ?

Gordon Brown
North Kessock, Black Isle

SO the GB taxpayer has sent the first Briton Tim Peake into space.

Born in Sussex, we wish him and his fellow cosmonauts well. Imagine if our intrepid spaceman were to come from Scotia? But take heart fellow Scots, his wife Rebecca hails from Perthshire.

Sad perhaps that under the Scottish Beeb’s stewardship, Rebecca’s Scottish connection was never mentioned, although STV had the decency to acknowledge the fact.

While munching my Pittenweem fish supper, I can’t help feeling for our poor cosmonauts, tucking into toothpaste tube-and vacuum-packed nourishment 250 miles above us.

Bob Harper
Anstruther

Lewis
17-12-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure what the big deal with 'Major Tim' is. We've had an astronaut before.

Jimmy Floyd
17-12-2015, 01:26 PM
The National is an absolutely awe-inspiring idea/concept/newspaper. All credit to it.

Boydy
31-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Simon Danczuk's been caught sexting a 17 year old. :D

Byron
31-12-2015, 12:06 PM
The fact that he's MP for Rochdale somehow manages to make it worse.

Lewis
31-12-2015, 12:13 PM
The MELTDOWN over Sir Lynton Crosby is funny. It's only a knighthood. It's not like he's bought his way into the Lords where he can have an actual say.

phonics
31-12-2015, 12:15 PM
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7097614.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/sophena.jpg

#tick

Jimmy Floyd
31-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Is 'sexting' an actual thing? It sounds like something my mum would say to cover all hobbies performed by people under 30.

Magic
31-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Those eyebrows doe...:sick:

Magic
31-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Her Twitter has been deleted. :(

John Arne
31-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Is 'sexting' an actual thing? It sounds like something my mum would say to cover all hobbies performed by people under 30.

Of course it's a real thing. Why would you think otherwise?

Bartholomert
31-12-2015, 12:45 PM

I can confirm, I am an excellent sexter.

John Arne
31-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Also, what is wrong with sexting with a 17yr old girl? Obviously, it's creepy, but there is nothing wrong with it, really (unless he's married, I guess).
Or was the young lady not asking for the sexting?

Toby
31-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Of course it's a real thing. Why would you think otherwise?

I expect it's one of those things where yes, the activity takes place, but nobody who does it calls it that at the time. I've certainly never seen the word "sexting" used outside of tabloid journalism.

Boydy
31-12-2015, 12:48 PM
She'd applied for a job at his constituency office, I read. I think she did carry it on with him though. But still, it's fucking creepy and not the sort of thing elected representatives should be doing.

Jimmy Floyd
31-12-2015, 01:03 PM
I meant 'Is it an actual term that people use?', not 'Do people ever send text messages containing sexual content'. You morons.

Toby
31-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Don't throw anybody else in just because John Arne struggles with context.

phonics
I'd put it in the bag of words that only papers use like 'Romp'. Who has ever had something they'd refer to as a romp?

John Arne
She'd applied for a job at his constituency office, I read. I think she did carry it on with him though. But still, it's fucking creepy and not the sort of thing elected representatives should be doing.

Ah ok, yeah, if she applied for a position then he really shouldn't be taking it towards that. At the same time though, I don't see why an elected official can't be sexting a 17yr old, as long as they are both consenting - yeah it's creepy, but being an elected official shouldn't exclude you from being a creep.

John Arne
31-12-2015, 01:08 PM
I meant 'Is it an actual term that people use?', not 'Do people ever send text messages containing sexual content'. You morons.

Yes, people use it.

Don't throw anybody else in just because John Arne struggles with context.

Do bore off.

Toby
31-12-2015, 01:12 PM
I'll have to assume you're precious about it because you're now worried you might have embarrassed yourself in using it.

Lewis
31-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Simon Danczuk is a cretin, so lol at this even if he probably hasn't done anything wrong.

Raoul Duke
31-12-2015, 05:56 PM
The Tories have played an absolute blinder - on NYE they drop the FCA's investigation into banking culture, then throw this grenade into Labour's midst so they've got to fight on multiple fronts.

Lewis
31-12-2015, 06:15 PM
They've started this fire in Dubai as well to keep the news busy.

Jimmy Floyd
31-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Apparently it started when Oliver Letwin tried to burn some secret papers.

Luca
31-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Plenty of dead politicians were probably saved by the fact that the Internet didn't exist when they were around.

Pierre Elliot "the State has no business in the bedrooms of the nation" Trudeau would have been balls-deep in all kinds of sexting. Lyndon Johnson, too.

Reg
02-01-2016, 05:52 PM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11898677_887135684674770_7175789310613444028_n.png ?oh=b5437e1cdd8564655ca82473bec7b754&oe=571748C5

Bloody hell.

Davgooner
02-01-2016, 05:56 PM
"But they have widescreen TVs."

Yevrah
02-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Are those percentages?

If so, simply not having that more than a quarter of kids in this country live in anything that could reasonably be described as poverty.

Jimmy Floyd
02-01-2016, 06:13 PM
I've gone and looked at the bloody 52 page report and those figures are the best performing 14 countries in the world, plus the arbitrary addition of UK and USA, and the number is the percentage of children who were below 60% of the median income in 2012. So it's basically a particular measure of inequality, rather than poverty.

Spain scores a healthy 36.3, and Greece 40.5, not forgetting our pals from Iceland on 31.6.

Yevrah
02-01-2016, 06:17 PM
I've gone and looked at the bloody 52 page report and those figures are the best performing 14 countries in the world, plus the arbitrary addition of UK and USA, and the number is the percentage of children who were below 60% of the median income in 2012. So it's basically a particular measure of inequality, rather than poverty.

A triumph for all involved then. :rolleyes:

Who's funding this fucking wank?

Reg
02-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Well that's incredibly silly then. It was from Bernie's Facebook.

25% did seem rather shocking.

Boydy
02-01-2016, 06:20 PM
How do you define poverty then?

Jimmy Floyd
02-01-2016, 06:20 PM
A triumph for all involved then. :rolleyes:

Who's funding this fucking wank?

Unicef. http://www.unicef-irc.org/publications/pdf/rc12-eng-web.pdf

I'm sure they have a point but the tone of the entire report is 'everything is absolutely terrible, even when it isn't'.

Boydy
02-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Median income in the UK in 2012, according to Wikipedia was Ł21,000. 60% of that would be Ł12,600. Good luck running a household with kids on that.

John
02-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Yet millions do.

Lee
02-01-2016, 06:25 PM
What's wrong with it? I've not read it but presumably it's a measure of poverty applied equally across all countries included in the report.

Or is nothing wrong with it and we're just dealing with the "NOBODY IN THE UK KNOWS WHAT REAL POVERTY IS TRY LIVING IN ETHIOPIA!!!!" brigade?

Lee
02-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Yet millions do..
Yes but at huge disadvantage (cultural as well as material) compared to most. It's relative poverty. I wouldn't fancy it.

Boydy
02-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Or is nothing wrong with it and we're just dealing with the "NOBODY IN THE UK KNOWS WHAT REAL POVERTY IS TRY LIVING IN ETHIOPIA!!!!" brigade?

It's exactly that.

Yevrah
02-01-2016, 06:30 PM
It's exactly that.

Personally I object to a report that claims over a quarter of kids in England live in poverty, when it's manifestly not the case. There's no doubt a serious issue to be raised here, but I don't think reports like that do any favours in doing so.

Boydy
02-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Personally I object to a report that claims over a quarter of kids in England live in poverty, when it's manifestly not the case. There's no doubt a serious issue to be raised here, but I don't think reports like that do any favours in doing so.

How do you define poverty then?

Answer that then.

Poverty has to be measured relatively since the rest of society's earnings and wealth dictate what everything costs.

Lewis
02-01-2016, 06:36 PM
CHILD POVERTY (as measured by these idiots) went down during the recession because 'real' wages depreciated faster than benefits.

Yevrah
02-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Answer that then.

Poverty has to be measured relatively since the rest of society's earnings and wealth dictate what everything costs.

It needs to be measured relative to the actual cost and you can't just do it on a blanket basis like Unicef have done - there are massive disparities across the UK, for example. I appreciate it's easier for them to produce terrifying bar charts without leaving their stats bunker by using that method, but they've basically produced a report where most, if not all, of the "top 10" countries (let alone the rest) look shit. Great.

Davgooner
02-01-2016, 06:45 PM
I prefer my poor people to live in cardboard boxes under bridges. Some of this lot have cars!

Feel the Bern you cunts.

Jimmy Floyd
05-01-2016, 01:53 PM
Corbyn is donning everyone with this reshuffle. It'll ultimately be another step along the road to the end of the Labour party, but he's lolling his internal critics off a cliff, Stalin style.

Boydy
05-01-2016, 02:19 PM
And everyone seemingly cares more about a shadow cabinet reshuffle than what the actual government are doing.

Rob the poor and give to the rich – housing policy for 2016

http://gu.com/p/4fgba?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Henry
05-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Corbyn appears to have backed down on getting rid of Hilary Benn, which is disappointing, whatever the reasons.

Jimmy Floyd
05-01-2016, 11:31 PM
Now becoming clear that this is less a reshuffle than a purge. Corbz people are actually briefing that various ministers have been fired for 'disloyalty'. This is brilliant. It's how 1930s Moscow must have felt, but without the millions strong body count and mass starvation.

Lewis
05-01-2016, 11:46 PM
Who decided that anybody should care about Jess Phillips? She's just a thick loudmouth.

Jimmy Floyd
05-01-2016, 11:49 PM
Apparently this was the 'disloyalty' wot did for Pat McFadden:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CX_oxNzWMAAyBrb.jpg:large

Seumas Milne's utterly bizarre fingerprints all over it.

Toby
06-01-2016, 02:53 AM
Not sure it warrants a thread just yet and not sure where else to post it:

John Arne
06-01-2016, 06:43 AM
They've successful tested a hydrogen bomb. China won't be happy.

Henry
06-01-2016, 09:46 AM
I'm skeptical that they've managed a H-bomb, given that their previous devices were supposedly a bit crude.

On the reshuffle, I imagine Dave would also sack people who forcibly disagreed with him in public.

Magic
06-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Seoul seems to think they only tested an atomic bomb (Phew!).

Also I've always wanted to refer to a nation by it's capital city like they do in the Bond films :drool:

Lewis
06-01-2016, 12:33 PM
It's pretty lol that North Korea has worse nuclear capabilities than the United States in 1945. What is even the point?

Disco
06-01-2016, 12:42 PM
I did think it was a bit much to call developing 60 year old technology 'intimidation'.

Magic
06-01-2016, 12:43 PM
Lest we forget how potent that technology might be if aimed at Seoul.

Davgooner
06-01-2016, 12:45 PM
The fact it's so cack-handed is arguably scarier. Someone will forget to replace a battery on a UPS and the whole place will go up.