User Tag List

Page 55 of 173 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 8644

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the demo of the latest FIFA last night. Didn't like it at all.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. Haven't played any football games in a while, but last time I did I liked Fifa better, although I am not exactly sure why. It just felt better. Ultimately it probably boils down to which one you're used to.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    RPS review suggests whoever's done the HD swish-ifying of Okami for PC has nailed it. That's going on the list.
    It looks beautiful as fuck. Apparently the game is locked to 30FPS which isn't putting people off from buying the game.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody refusing to buy a game for that reason would probably be in need of a slap anyway.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I hate that grasping for 60 frames like it's some holy grail. My first experience of Half-Life 2 was on the Xbox at 10-15 frames a second and I loved watching it barely keep its shit together.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't upgrade my PC until it renders new games unplayable. If the graphics are a bit iffy but relatively smooth I'm happy.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to play Skyrim on my old laptop at about 5 fps was fucking incredible. I couldn't even make it up the curved stairs right at the start of the game as I kept falling to the bottom.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whichever PC I played Skyrim on was absolutely fine for it other than whichever city it was that seemed to be made up entirely of open-plan stone staircases and that rig did not like that place one bit.

My first attempt at a PC gaming experience was before I understood that buying games for PC was not like buying games for a console so I just picked up Outcast from Woolies. It did not go well. Wouldn't even install it, as I recall. Still never played it. I got a refund and then ended up using the money to buy Championship Manager 97/98. Not because I thought I'd like it. I thought quite the opposite. More because it was football and I thought our piece of shit Tiny PC would run it.

And of course the rest is history, as are the thousands of hours I've wasted on CM/FM games.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate how my PC is too good to run Far Cry and Mafia.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should go and play the opening bit of Crysis 3. New PC since I played it the first time and I bet it looks swanky.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got Pro Evo 2018 working in the end. Sort of. It works fine in windowed mode for some reason. I don't like it that much though. It feels slower and generally just worse than 2016's version. Ugh.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished Star Control II again, and re-playing X-COM (the original).

Picked up psi-labs really early this time around, which means things should go more smoothly than my last abortive attempt.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you use Open X-COM? So many quality of life tweaks for UFO and TFTD.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Just finished Star Control II again, and re-playing X-COM (the original).

Picked up psi-labs really early this time around, which means things should go more smoothly than my last abortive attempt.
    Have you played the new ones?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you played the new ones?
    I haven't. Do they play like the original?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't played a huge amount of the original but I believe the answer, in short, is no. The style of gameplay is broadly the same but certainly as we get to the point of the most recent expansion (which I've yet to play) there is more room for power-fantasy-with-permadeath.

Here's the original RPS review for the first of the new ones, written by Alec Meer who was a huge fan of the originals and makes reference to that:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...8/xcom-review/

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is currently less than £4 in the Steam sale, unless anything in that review massively puts you off I'd say it's worth a bash at that price. It's probably also the one most like the originals before Firaxis really started to make their own thing of it, which is possibly part of the reason they consciously changed the formatting of the title.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not played any of the XCOM games but I see Xenonauts is on sale on Steam. It's meant to be like the early XCOM games, I think. Any of you played it? Is it good?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a bit more like the original X-Com but also not as good as either that or new XCOM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Xenonauts was a fan made remake of UFO started during the bleak years when all anyone wanted was a modern version. That is now available through mods and Open XCOM so if you're looking for something more like the original then a modded version of it is you;re best bet. The new ones are very different games from UFO and TFTD.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought it anyway. It was only £4 or so. I had it on my wishlist for a while as the premise intrigued me enough without being a fan of the XCOM games.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some unused dialogue got revealed for Bloodborne today. Turns out everyone's been saying 'Ebrietas' wrong.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PES 2018 has stopped working for me now on PC. Konami can go and fuck themselves.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did we just see a genuine 'Fuck Konami' develop organically?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't PES shit anyway? #sorrymike

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a Giant Bomb subscription for Christmas. Any reccomendos @Mike ?

Currently deciding whether to use Christmas money get a PS4 or use that to upgrade the PC I'm building from a 1050 to a 1080.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't played a huge amount of the original but I believe the answer, in short, is no. The style of gameplay is broadly the same but certainly as we get to the point of the most recent expansion (which I've yet to play) there is more room for power-fantasy-with-permadeath.

Here's the original RPS review for the first of the new ones, written by Alec Meer who was a huge fan of the originals and makes reference to that:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...8/xcom-review/

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is currently less than £4 in the Steam sale, unless anything in that review massively puts you off I'd say it's worth a bash at that price. It's probably also the one most like the originals before Firaxis really started to make their own thing of it, which is possibly part of the reason they consciously changed the formatting of the title.
    It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't grab me as something I desperately need to play immediately. I'll get around to it at some stage I imagine, but the first one is a bit special.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RPS review suggests whoever's done the HD swish-ifying of Okami for PC has nailed it. That's going on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleb View Post
    It looks beautiful as fuck. Apparently the game is locked to 30FPS which isn't putting people off from buying the game.
    It's fucking gorgeous

Played 40mins(ish) of it last night and controls pretty well without an issue so far.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I finished Divinity. It's really an incredible game. Can't wait to see what they do with the third.

I bought Fire Pro and am enjoying it a lot. it's a totally different kind of system to what 2K use (even ignoring the graphical difference) and takes a bit of getting used to. The striking is wonky as fuck but otherwise it ends up being quite intuitive after initially seeming very obtuse.

Lastly, I've started Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. I'll be interested to see where the story goes and if they give me any particularly interesting new abilities. I really liked the slight twist you got playing as Emily in 2.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent a few hours playing What Remains of Edith Finch. I loved it. Some of the stories where brilliantly done. The guy in the fish factory might have been my favourite.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Got a Giant Bomb subscription for Christmas. Any reccomendos @Mike ?

Currently deciding whether to use Christmas money get a PS4 or use that to upgrade the PC I'm building from a 1050 to a 1080.
    Sorry for the late reply.

Watch anything with Vinny in of course. Phatasmagoria and BioForge are amazing. The opening of BioForge was on a UPF but you can miss that. Watch the whole of the Contradiction: Spot the Liar! play, it starts in the quicklook and then they carry on for premium.
    The Mario Party videos are good, but very very long. Drew storming off was good
    The current Mario Sunshine stuff is good as are all the battlegrounds videos.
    Drew's Korea trip video is good too. As are the flight sim things, Flight Club I think.

More recent stuff, the GBeast playdates are always good. UPF's aren't the best.
    Enjoy

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep thinking about one whenever they're on sale but I watch enough tat as it is. Or I've seen the best bits on compilation videos.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to watch the Yakuza series as I know I'll never play it. It's very good, I've been watching Sunshine when I get tired of reading subtitles.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bioforge next. For some old school classic Vinny. The UPF section it started on he discovered that walking backwards moved much quicker than forwards.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got UFC 2 in the PSN sale for £8. I have absolutely no idea about what I'm doing grapple wise or what I should be doing, but it's all so satisfyingly meaty to play. I've played Splatterhouse, Mortal Kombat, Manhunt and shot several people in the face in games over the years, but posturing up and elbowing someone repeatedly in the face in this is by far the most gruesome feeling I've had in a game.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The underarm punches from 'back side' position are quite brutal too.

The most satisfying feeling in the game though is when you put together a fluid combo that ends with a knockdown.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it's the style of fighter I chose or most likely my own fecklessness but I've got absolutely nowhere with submissions so far, in career mode I've won twice by decision and the rest via TKO. I've got no tactics at all so my player is throwing slow wheezy kicks and somehow getting away with it. My best so far was a 35 second win where he was on the floor with his feet up and I dived over and smacked him in the chops and then just hammered him until it was stopped, he didn't even put up a fight.

The career mode looks a bit more comprehensive in 3, might end up picking it up.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making heavy use of L2 to duck and dodge and just throwing the odd punch or kick until the opportunity opens up for a more sustained combination is the way to go. If you're murdering your stamina bar by just whacking away you'll get tonked when you go up a difficulty and the computer suddenly knows how to block.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is basically my fight style in the early days of my career

I've got it set to adaptive difficulty so hopefully that works as intended and it just gently nudges me towards competence, I remember one of the older Undisputed games made me feel like I'd been dropped right in the deep end whereas this is a little more forgiving and intuitive so far.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more word of advice, train punch and kick speed early and often. It's far easier to overwhelm someone with lots of quick, low impact punches than it is to land one whopper when it comes in like you're punching through water.

That way you can just pop a jab out between blocks or dodges and be pretty sure it'll land and do some damage. Land enough jabs on one side and you begin to cut them up, at which point punches to that side do more damage and they take longer to recover.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ace, cheers. I've been trying to cover all bases just to be even, but if I'm steering clear of submissions anyway it makes sense to focus on striking.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're focusing on striking just get your takedown and submission defense up, then whatever they call the defensive grappling stat. You should be able to avoid takedowns most of the time, and the odd time you do go down you can evade submissions long enough to pop back up.

Go back to rounding your guy out once you get the important stuff for your play style up.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Death of the Outsider gives you yet another variant on teleporting. And you can, I discovered to my shock, Displace yourself INTO somebody and, erm, well....

Toggle Spoiler

I hadn't at that point worked out where his head or torso had gone.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a sale on in the PS Store so I bought Grim Fandango, Limbo and currently downloading Rocket League. I did a minor victory dance when I saw Manny Calavera.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should've got Inside instead of Limbo, best game of 2016.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dark Souls Remaster to be released on all consoles and PC.

Should be fun, I've never played the original.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up gran turismo and first impressions. Its ordinary and im disappointed. Also picked up hitman which ive wanted to play for a while.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Dark Souls Remaster to be released on all consoles and PC.

Should be fun, I've never played the original.
    You're in for a treat. Probably. The original had such a specific feel and they've switched engines since. I might grab it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    There is a sale on in the PS Store so I bought Grim Fandango, Limbo and currently downloading Rocket League. I did a minor victory dance when I saw Manny Calavera.
    I'm so glad Grim Fandango exists. I'd love to see a version of it with an expanded fourth act though.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ragequit a game for the first time since like 2007. Gran Turismo 5, ps3. feels good man.