User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show ME your local pub

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still enjoy the factoid that the only place in the UK that saw any football related violence after one or other of the Portugal major tournament exits was Jersey.

They do seem to really hate them.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    It's a Portuguese migrant in Jersey. Offy hates them.
    A porko is a Portuguese migrant in Jersey that eyes up underage girls, spits every five seconds and refuses to speak English. I've worked with Portuguese girls that have said they find a lot of Portuguese men to be intimidating too. They treat their women horribly. There aren't many rapes in Jersey, but when there is you can guess their nationality nine times out of ten.

However, there are many positives gained from the Portuguese community and plenty of genuinely lovely Portuguese people. I don't hate all of them (or any of them - who hates somebody in this day and age? (I'll make a thread)) by any stretch of the imagination. But, the two managers of those pubs are definitely porkos. Miserable, ugly, smelly fucking porkos.
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I still enjoy the factoid that the only place in the UK that saw any football related violence after one or other of the Portugal major tournament exits was Jersey.

Aye, a few hundred people went to Minden Place (a porko hangout area) and mostly just stood there, though there were arrests I think. It was just around the corner from me at the time. I can imagine it would be quite horrible, so I don't support it in any way. I can't even imagine how it must have happened. Its not like they would have mobilised using Twitter. I suppose it must have been a few blokes that started it, then everybody else just stopped to watch and before you know it you've got a huge crowd. I won't deny there's plenty of scum in Jersey. We got a unique brand of chavs that unite through anger, not poverty.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How strange that Jersey has a problem with the Portuguese

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at my laptop so can't post pics. My local distance wise is the Orchard Park hotel which is nice enough, decent wee beer garden bit outside.

My local local is the Allison arms, proper old man's pub with bar/lounge but has the hugest selection of beers and gins I've ever seen in a pub it's size. Quite possibly the greatest pub in the world

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    How strange that Jersey has a problem with the Portuguese
    They're mostly from Madeira which is basically the Liverpool of Portugal. Cristiano Ronaldo is from there and got bullied in the Sporting academy because of his "thick" accent. Just one of many examples. You can take 'thick' to mean what you want it to mean.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here's mine:

THE BARN:

Toggle Spoiler

I have never been, and I have absolutely no intention of ever going. Looks like a complete shithole.

THE ROYAL ARCH:

Toggle Spoiler

This is more like it, in the centre of the little village I stay on the outskirts of. Well known for being the local haunt of cunt chairman of DUFC, the staff told me they'd rather see them lose the play-offs than have that shithead in pissed. Lovely selection of beers and gins, and a nice sit outside bit as well in the front. It's proper busy and it's on street but nice to watch the world go by.

THE SHIP INN:

Toggle Spoiler

A cracking little pub. Don't go here as often now because me dad has got Sky back. Has really good food, a bar bit and a proper restaurant bit upstairs. Sitting outside (I've included the view) on a sunny day with a cold pint is just perfection.

THE POST OFFICE BAR:

Toggle Spoiler

Yes, it used to be an old post office, in fact the BT exchange is right next door (old PO equipment). Great for football and much bigger than the other ones. It's a Belhaven pub so has loads of good deals on the booze. Can occasionally be full of utter cunts though.

There's loads of pubs in my area, those ones (apart from THE BARN which is a 10 minute walk) are all within 20 minutes of me. Simply lovely!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    My local local is the Allison arms, proper old man's pub with bar/lounge but has the hugest selection of beers and gins I've ever seen in a pub it's size. Quite possibly the greatest pub in the world
    We'll almost certainly have been in there at the same time.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, I've been in there too. Disgusting having that gin palace and the Rum Shack straight across the road.

When I was in it was a mixture of trendy youth and desperately unfortunate looking locals. Weird place.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The state of that first pub in Magic's list. Looks more like a launderette.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can make out is a bookies and a Co-Op.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @John @Adamski if I was to mention the name 'Stevie Muir' and 'snooker' would you know what I was on about?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Madeira is like if Hull was where Shetland is.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The three places I go for a drink most often, depending on what I fancy and the weather...

The Cowherds. Decent place, right next to Southampton Common so good for a pint when I've been dog walking.

The Grand Cafe. A bit more upmarket, but half price drinks from 5 til 7 on weeknights. Cracking restaurant, too.

The Winston. A bit rough, but cheap and a decent sized beer garden, which is hard to come by in the city centre.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Millpool is the new local. They've refurbed everything so the front is more of a giant gazebo now, but went in there a few weeks ago and we were waiting ages for soggy chips and some gyppos were trying to fight someone in the car park so haven't gone back for a while

This used to be Browns but the old owners sold up after there was some kind of OUTRAGE when they didn't let some fella in army uniform in. On the plus side it means that now you know you won't get the habitually outraged in there. I think the building used to be a big public toilet or something weird

Both the oldest and sweatiest place around. It's been around since the 16th century but I think the metal nights have only been going since the 18th. They keep refurbing it and yet it's always a grimy hellhole.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see Magics barn one.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't want to, trust me.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    @John @Adamski if I was to mention the name 'Stevie Muir' and 'snooker' would you know what I was on about?
    No idea.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Magic I think I've had a beer in the royal arch. It was with Chris Law and the in laws (worst band ever). I'm pretty sure there was a guy in there dribbling what looked like copper on himself.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Magic I think I've had a beer in the royal arch. It was with Chris Law and the in laws (worst band ever). I'm pretty sure there was a guy in there dribbling what looked like copper on himself.
    The shouty SNP cunt? Fucking knife him aye?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is he shouty? He does have a ponytail.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to figure out if we even have "pubs" here like that. Everything is a SPORTS BAR AND GRILLE!

They did build this "pub" downtown for the football club.

I've never once went in, it looks very shiny and proper.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to films, you have 'bars' at which people order 'liquor'.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always find it a little funny with places who put their "founding date" which was a year or three ago.

Alright mate, playing the long game. In 50 years it'll look like we have been here forever!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Jimmy No sure, sure but it just seems different for some reason.

@Maz I always laugh at shit like that, myself. I'm just glad the local football team doesn't have "Est. 2010" on their crest or some similar cringey shit.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here's mine:

THE BARN:

Toggle Spoiler

I have never been, and I have absolutely no intention of ever going. Looks like a complete shithole.

THE ROYAL ARCH:

Toggle Spoiler

This is more like it, in the centre of the little village I stay on the outskirts of. Well known for being the local haunt of cunt chairman of DUFC, the staff told me they'd rather see them lose the play-offs than have that shithead in pissed. Lovely selection of beers and gins, and a nice sit outside bit as well in the front. It's proper busy and it's on street but nice to watch the world go by.

THE SHIP INN:

Toggle Spoiler

A cracking little pub. Don't go here as often now because me dad has got Sky back. Has really good food, a bar bit and a proper restaurant bit upstairs. Sitting outside (I've included the view) on a sunny day with a cold pint is just perfection.

THE POST OFFICE BAR:

Toggle Spoiler

Yes, it used to be an old post office, in fact the BT exchange is right next door (old PO equipment). Great for football and much bigger than the other ones. It's a Belhaven pub so has loads of good deals on the booze. Can occasionally be full of utter cunts though.

There's loads of pubs in my area, those ones (apart from THE BARN which is a 10 minute walk) are all within 20 minutes of me. Simply lovely!
    Ferry really is fucking brilliant. Though I'd only be going to Royal Arch and Ship Inn if I was on a pub crawl.

Eagle > Fort > PO > Docs> Papa's > Occy > Ship > Anchor > Arch > Jolly's > Bruach > Fish Inn > Gunners

Never even heard of The Barn.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Grove

Open mics every Wednesday, Folk night every Friday, proper good range of drinks, reasonably cheap, proper old school feel to it with low ceilings, wooden beams in the ceilings and a proper fireplace. Fucking bosh. Bit of a weird location with it being right next to a trendy modern skyscraper, but whatever. Skyscrapers can fuck off.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Open mics can get to fuck. These people need to realise there's a reason they're not famous.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the atmosphere for me. Lots of people there are just old blokes who are randomly really fucking good at classical guitar, so it's nice. Hipster douchebags playing Dylan covers not so much.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Ferry really is fucking brilliant. Though I'd only be going to Royal Arch and Ship Inn if I was on a pub crawl.

Eagle > Fort > PO > Docs> Papa's > Occy > Ship > Anchor > Arch > Jolly's > Bruach > Fish Inn > Gunners

Never even heard of The Barn.
    Eagle shit.
    Docs shit.
    Occy never been in but looks enticing.
    Anchor is owned by a cunt.
    Gunners shit.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eagle is wonderful but it's an absolute gear fest. Docs is pretty good - thought it'd be right up your street. A lad in our "group"'s Dad owns the Occy so only real reason we go. One of the many old man pubs in the Ferry.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The local is the Golden Lion, which has Burger Theory in residency supplying fucking excellent veg burgers and decent beer with a good range of live music

More often I'd head a little further to here if on a sesh though (and even then, it's just the one I'd spend the most time in, more of a fan of variety than anything and the whole area is packed with bars). The Full Moon & Attic Bar is really more of a massive beer garden with a big pub (inc pool, darts, dub), club (underground) and fucking hostel built around it and huge numbers of benches and tents in said garden, as well as a 9'' tall mushroom. Which is nice.

But... I'm moving a week on Friday to East London, where this reasonable looking place is my local, I look forward to venturing inside:

Apparently London's oldest riverside pub and there's a hangman's noose in the beer garden. Ok then.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The prospect is ok but the others are to Shoreditch wankerish for me. the old eastend has gone now so you hipsters can carry on

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    The prospect is ok but the others are to Shoreditch wankerish for me. the old eastend has gone now so you hipsters can carry on
    See, I only ever used to visit infrequently so I'm no expert, but I do feel a lot of the Shoreditch bars are shite now. Admittedly, I only ever went that way for gigs at the Old Blue Last circa 2004-2009 (so post-Vice, basically) as I tended to go north for Arsenal matches and gigs, but I did used to head into some of the grotty old places around it as well. Now, much of Hoxton and Shoreditch is genuinely awful. Also gutted that some of my favourite (genuine) rock dive bars out Holloway way are closed down and replaced with cocktail bars. There are still plenty of decent boozers and I definitely like some of the newer places (mainly those around Old St), but yeah... As much as I'll be a newcomer, I get what Londoners are saying. Seems the most authentic, untouched pubs remain very much in the square mile around Fleet St and the backside of St Pauls.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post
    veg burgers
    Get. The fuck. Out.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I have now read the full thread and it brings a tear to the eye. All picture posts repped you beautiful bastards.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Get. The fuck. Out.
    They have meat ones too of course. About 40 of the fuckers, but the fact there are 3 different veg burgers is pretty damn noteworthy.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Adamski I went to big red the other night on Holloway road which was like walking onto the set of sons of anarchy.

Hackney Wick is something else. Right by the station is basically a hipster camp. It was amazing.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop confusing me with Merse you cunt.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was my local back in London town:

The Rosemary Branch was closer, but it wasn't really a proper pub. The Baring had their own cricket team.

If I'd really had the minerals it would have been this place on Essex Road:

It's probably a craft beer hall now, but fuck me was that place unexpectedly rough.

Nowadays it's probably this place:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Stop confusing me with Merse you cunt.

Take it to pm.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post
    The local is the Golden Lion, which has Burger Theory in residency supplying fucking excellent veg burgers and decent beer with a good range of live music

More often I'd head a little further to here if on a sesh though (and even then, it's just the one I'd spend the most time in, more of a fan of variety than anything and the whole area is packed with bars). The Full Moon & Attic Bar is really more of a massive beer garden with a big pub (inc pool, darts, dub), club (underground) and fucking hostel built around it and huge numbers of benches and tents in said garden, as well as a 9'' tall mushroom. Which is nice.

But... I'm moving a week on Friday to East London, where this reasonable looking place is my local, I look forward to venturing inside:

Apparently London's oldest riverside pub and there's a hangman's noose in the beer garden. Ok then.
    The beer garden with the noose also gets soaked when the tide is rough.

The Captain Kidd is on the same road the other side of Wapping station. It's a Sam Smiths (so decent beer at a cheap-ish price for London) and does good food; I actually prefer it to the Prospect.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Adamski I went to big red the other night on Holloway road which was like walking onto the set of sons of anarchy.

Hackney Wick is something else. Right by the station is basically a hipster camp. It was amazing.
    Big Red has long been a favourite. Met the current GF there actually.

Hackney Wick is a possible destination to move to in the new year as don't see myself staying in Limehouse for long. A nice warehouse set up would do me nicely, though I may prefer to stick to Shoreditch for the proximity to work, or Hackney central for the links. Wick still feels a little cut off, which is a shame as it's a decent area with decent people as far as I can tell.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rush will check it out as I'm a fan of Sam Smiths, cheers.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post

I beg to differ, sort of. There was a lovely little Portuguese cafe in Rugby for about 3 months, it was really great and even as a stupid 14 year old I appreciated how unlikely it was for our crap town to have something like that. After we got knocked out by them in 2006 some cunts threw bricks through the windows and they fucked off the next day. Wankers.