User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: [FOOTBALL] New Year's Fixtures & More (Thurs 29 Dec 2016 - Thurs 5 Jan 2017)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's one thing that really does even itself out over the season, it's bloody kickoff times. Managers are even worse at whingeing about that than they are about refereeing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Fucking hell Smiff, do other teams not have to warm down and go home?! It was the same for the following teams today:

Middlesbrough
    Leicester
    Southampton
    Man City
    Burnley
    Sunderland
    West Brom
    West Ham
    Man United

Some of them had to travel north to south, unlike Liverpool. Even Arsenal are playing Sunday - Tuesday.

The opening part of your second paragraph is cringeworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post

As I said, no one cares. It was a joke all round. Ergo, for most.

The Christmas fixtures this year have been a joke all round though so who cares. It's not the end of the world dropping two points, everyone else will too.
    Clearly you do. Pipe down, pet.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    If there's one thing that really does even itself out over the season, it's bloody kickoff times. Managers are even worse at whingeing about that than they are about refereeing.
    It's impossible to gauge. I would rather play twice in 48 hours at the beginning of the season as opposed to the busiest, most stressful time of the year. I mostly don't mind but this seasons seems a bit daft but then we all know why that is. ££TV.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pep is such a twat

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly you do. Pipe down, pet.
    What are you on about?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could ask you the same thing since I have now stated three fucking times that NO ONE CARES!

I'm going to break a habit here. I'm not going to go around in circles repeating myself. It's not the same kicking off at a later time than everyone else in one of the heavyweight clashes of the season as those fine margins make a difference whether you believe it or not. Just look at Milner for example. He ran himself ragged against City and clearly died today. But again....the last time....NO ONE CARES.

Clear?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because you claim that no one cares doesn't suddenly make it so. I care, which is why I'm talking about it. Other people who are talking about it must care too.

If you don't care then stop posting about it.

Please.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't the festive schedule pre-date broadcasting money-grabs by about a million years?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Doesn't the festive schedule pre-date broadcasting money-grabs by about a million years?
    Yeah but it used to be everyone playing at 3pm on the same day, whereas now it's spread out for TV.

Still, though, Smiffy, if it wasn't for TV you'd be having to actually go to the games.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck that, I'm no mug. I'll remain an armchair fan until the end. I don't pay for these overpriced forms of 'entertainment' be it football, concerts, subscriptions to Netflix, Sky and the like.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's arguably more of a hinderance to play in Liverpool's style on such a short turn around, but you could say that's their own fault. If they had had Chelsea's schedule I'd say the extra few days would have benefited Liverpool more than their opponent. Also, even though it is 'the same for everyone' Liverpool are the only team that has played three times in a week (Tuesday - Monday), so, if every day matters (????) then it isn't really the same. I suppose they should just be thankful they weren't put on the lunchtime tv slot.

Edit: Southampton actually got an even worse deal and look how well they have fared.

Many of the games over Christmas seem to have been a bit lacklustre/shit and I wonder how much of that is down to the quantity of games. Christmas sorts itself out next year (and then beyond) which should allow for games on the Saturday before Christmas (which, being empty this year has clearly botched things).

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes because football stops the moment the whistle is blown. No warm downs, no going home, the players just stand on the pitch waiting for the next fixture.

It was clearly a factor and unfair in the sense our direct challengers (not relegated fodder like yourselves) had the benefit of an extra 24 hours or in Chelsea's case, an extra 48. If you can't see how that would make a difference then you're either blind or being obtuse.

As I said, no one cares. It was a joke all round. Ergo, for most.
    Seeing as Smiffy is CLEARLY NOT SEETHING, I'd like to point out that Arsenal played on the 1st, so asking them to play on the 2nd might be slightly unfair.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir Henry Winter this morning has written an article entitled: 'It's disgraceful Mark Clattenburg has been snubbed by the honours list'.

I fucking love Sir Henry.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leedsrevolution View Post
    Netflix? It's only 6.99 a month that's less then a pack of smokes.
    By maybe 10p. I'm a cheap skate for a reason and I have no qualms in people knowing this. My sole outgoing lately is my rent and not a penny more.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Seeing as Smiffy is CLEARLY NOT SEETHING, I'd like to point out that Arsenal played on the 1st, so asking them to play on the 2nd might be slightly unfair.
    I'd like to point out that Liverpool played on the 27th, 31st and the 2nd. Three games in five days with the City match being a late kick off and the Sunderland being a 3pm kick off.

Arsenal...26th then a five day break until the 1st then a late kick off tonight. So again, not quite the same but who cares. Take your rose tinted glasses off. It clearly played a part for us stuttering yesterday but that's all it was. We're still well on course for a top four finish.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving on from that obvious seethe, is Pep really going to retire early?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much whinging going on here now. Why the fuck are you complaining about the X-mas fixtures? Who the hell cares, it's lots of football! It's glorious. I love the festive football fixtures. Last year there was at some point 6 consecutive days of Premier League football!

I love Premier League, I love watching football. I think Premier League is better and more fun than it has ever been before, when there were one - three teams fighting at the top.

5 years ago I wouldn't have bothered with watching West Ham - Stoke on a tuesday night, these days that could be a great game. Go on, complain about the mad transfers and the fact that money rules the game (when didn't it ever anyway? it's just even more of it at stake now) - but the truth is the TV money and it's distribution has made the PL into a league that stands way above the rest on the entertainment chart.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We literally don't care about other leagues or how exciting it is though, to us it's just the continuation of English football, and each of us has a club that we'd be supporting whether it was in the top flight or League Two.

If you watch the fans on here, most of them ultimately don't give a flying fuck about anything except their own team.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, for all we talk about the league, it's a 'product' that's based purely on soap opera regarding three clubs - Manchester United, Arsenal, and to a diminishing extent, Liverpool. The others only exist to be lolled at when they fail.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, isn't "English football" better than ever, in that the Premier League is better than ever, and to me seems far superior on it's overall level than other leagues?

(Yeah, I know, Barca & Real does well in CL but that's because they are pissing about in La Liga most of the season and don't have to play League Cups or whatever half the time).

I was always a Portsmouth supporter, and while I still care about them a bit I don't really bother with them since they got fucked by Harry and Co. I had a team here in Sweden as well, I even played football for that club for a while as a kid, which I hardly even know which division they play in anymore or how they are doing - because instead I can just follow Arsenal, and now Zlatan in United and marvel at the glory that is English Football. I'd say I support Arsenal more than anything else, and the more I watch the PL every year the more that tends to become true. That doesn't mean I don't bother with any other games and teams in the PL because it's just good football.

I don't understand how you can only care about your one team, if you like football.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, for all we talk about the league, it's a 'product' that's based purely on soap opera regarding three clubs - Manchester United, Arsenal, and to a diminishing extent, Liverpool. The others only exist to be lolled at when they fail.
    Everything that goes on TV or in any way generated money is a "Product". There's nothing wrong with that. A team is a product, in that it's sustained by it's fans keeping interest in it - whether by going to the stadium or watching from a shoddy bar in Malaysia.

Professional Football, any sport for that matter, has always been a product.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the top division of football in this country, there's nothing more to it than that (from our point of view). The difference is that if all the money and fame disappeared we'd carry on watching it for that reason - or a lot of people would - whereas those who only consume it as a televised product, rather than as a piece of the cultural furniture, would disappear.

Do you watch the FA Cup? I do.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a bit of a turn around from not bothering to watch Chelsea for the first however many weeks of the season @Jimmy Floyd

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In truth I never watch much until mid September due to being busy with cricket. The football season's too long for me, September to March at the same level of intensity would be grand. Then you could bollocks off the internationals and have them all in an April/May block.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the top division of football in this country, there's nothing more to it than that (from our point of view). The difference is that if all the money and fame disappeared we'd carry on watching it for that reason - or a lot of people would - whereas those who only consume it as a televised product, rather than as a piece of the cultural furniture, would disappear.

Do you watch the FA Cup? I do.
    Occasionally. Maybe the final or if Arsenal or Zlatan would play in it. More from a bit of fatigue than anything else.

Trust it from a guy who comes from a country where the main league is fucking terrible - if you were watching something like that, you would not keep watching your team with the same passion and fervour as it seems your are now. The Swedish league is probably about the equivalent of League 2 in English football, I'd say. I don't believe that most people here would keep following their teams as closely in League 2, to be honest. A few, yeah, but not many.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can make it through a Roy Hodgsons stint as manager than you'd probably enjoy a bit of League Two. Your argument is flawed Maz. Leeds United are a great example.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Allsvenskan average attendance is about 9,000, our third tier average attendance is about 7,500, and that is for clubs 45-68 in the national pecking order. English fans don't view (by which I mean 'perceive', not literally view) English football in the same way that fans abroad view English football.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say we're more tribal in our support for our clubs. Almost like a family member, you can slate them and say what you want, a member of the Chelsea family says the same thing then that's it, shit gotta get real.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can make it through a Roy Hodgsons stint as manager than you'd probably enjoy a bit of League Two. Your argument is flawed Maz. Leeds United are a great example.
    What are you on about? I'm not a football manager. And I'm not really making an argument, so I don't see how it can be flawed. I'm saying the Premier League is great and it's more enjoyable than ever. You can think what you want and walk around and be miserable about transfer fees if you so please.

The Allsvenskan average attendance is about 9,000, our third tier average attendance is about 7,500, and that is for clubs 45-68 in the national pecking order. English fans don't view (by which I mean 'perceive', not literally view) English football in the same way that fans abroad view English football.
    I would say we're more tribal in our support for our clubs. Almost like a family member, you can slate them and say what you want, a member of the Chelsea family says the same thing then that's it, shit gotta get real.
    You're kidding yourselves if you think England is unique in having passionate fans for clubs. That happens everywhere - Sweden is full of dickheads who support their teams and go and watch that shite week in and week out. The truth is that you're all spoiled with extremely high quality of football and you don't know how to appreciate it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's because we invented the game and have always had it.

All I'm saying is the Premier League for us is not some extra special thing to get excited about, it's football, that's what it is.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    What are you on about? I'm not a football manager. And I'm not really making an argument, so I don't see how it can be flawed. I'm saying the Premier League is great and it's more enjoyable than ever. You can think what you want and walk around and be miserable about transfer fees if you so please.
    Are you all dense as fuck or something? First Spikey now you. Learn to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    Trust it from a guy who comes from a country where the main league is fucking terrible - if you were watching something like that, you would not keep watching your team with the same passion and fervour as it seems your are now.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean some of you seemingly really hate football.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    I mean some of you seemingly really hate football.
    Too much exposure for most but for the bulk of football fans, all 800B of them apparently, they hated football since 4 goals, three points and a league titles stopped being delivered. Hardcore supporters, through thick and thin.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you all dense as fuck or something? First Spikey now you. Learn to read.
    I can read just fine. Can you write? You wrote:

"If you can make it through a Roy Hodgsons stint as manager than you'd probably enjoy a bit of League Two."
    Indicating I'd ever make it through a stint as a manager. Presumably a football club manager - since that's what Roy Hodgson arguably is.

What I said, as a reply to that, is that I'm in fact not a football manager, and would in fact not compete with Roy Hodgson or any other manager for any kind of professional position.

What you may have meant, is whether I can make it through a stint of having Roy Hodgson as manager for a team you support or follow. Which you did indeed not write, so don't lecture me on my ability to comprehend when you cannot express yourself clearly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot write no. I can however tell the difference between your and you're now.

I need to stop using the 'you' when replying to people because 'you' all actually seem to take it personally when 'you' in the above quote was me and Liverpool fans.

You've proper Sweded me head. Gerrit?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first "you" could have been just generically aimed, but then when you added "[...] you'd probably enjoy a bit of League Two" - that means you were adressing me, personally, yeah? Unless you were making some very broad, general suppositions as to what people might enjoy.

Or correct me if I'm wrong?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You simpleton.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never claimed to be anything but tbf. I can't wait until I actually turn up on one of these meets, it will explain so much as I'll be understood better than I am on here.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leedsrevolution View Post
    We really hate you as well but there isn't much we can do about it now is there.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul Clement has been made Swansea manager. I'd say it probably won't work out but when you're conceding 2.5 goals per game, the only way is up.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or 3.5.

It's an absolutely stupid appointment though given he has as much experience as the last one. He failed at Derby too.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure that 44 divided by 19 is 2.3, Smiff but if you've got a different calculator, feel free to chip in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I mean!

You said the only way was up, I meant they could start conceding more each game. Perhaps the course I need to go on is an English one afterall.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul Clement that was at Derby?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even Hector "fastest fullback in the league" Bellerin couldn't cover that much ground.

and now a pen!

Could be a good game, this.
    I'm a twit

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal collapsing? I didn't see that coming...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they now don't even have the mental FORTITUDE to win the fourth place trophy what happens next?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger leaves and Simone comes in the summer.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most un-Arsenal manager outside of Mourinho currently in the club game.

Tuchel or bust.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They give it Eddie Howe, sell Sanchez to Chelsea and finish 8th.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal will get 4th.