User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Football 8/9 - Return of the V-League!!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know Stoke's ground was in the middle of an industrial estate but with the context of the last ten or so years it couldn't really be anywhere else.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice of us to mark no one at that corner.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil Jones showing his true self.

Is Lindelof really that shit?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed my League One action this afternoon. Throughout the game there were heavy showers that came across and the Posh manager kept having to retreat into the dugout to preserve his cardigan. No such problems for hardy Stuart McCall, who was quite happy to have his refreshingly 80s barnet soaked on a regular basis. That also summed up the game which featured four goals from terrible set piece defending, two utterly brainless red cards, and one fight, during which the Bradford lot kept going YAWKSHUR YAWKSHUR as if people from other counties don't have fists.

A black man called Jermaine Anderson came on for Peterborough at half time, and a woman near us kept shouting 'nice one Leroy!' whenever he did anything semi-useful. I suppose it's a Brexit area.

The one player I knew was ex-Geordie Steven Taylor, who I'm afraid has gone from bombscare to full Helmand province and probably isn't good enough to be playing professionally anymore. Sad to see.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only does Stuart McCall have an eighties haircut, it's the same one he himself had in the eighties. He's basically been aging from the fringe down since about 1982.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching Romelu Lukaku score half as many goals as he should is already getting boring.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mourinho not shaking Mark Hughes' hand. Mark will be absolutely raging.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    has gone from bombscare to full Helmand province

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, I dunno what happened to Wor Steve. He got injured and then got shit... ter.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tannoy man called him 'our rock at the back'. Geology clearly not his strong point.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate it when players you've seen at the top basically slum it when they're clearly cooked. Edgar Davids struggling at Barnet and Roy Keane looking limp at Celtic was quite harrowing to see.

Unfortunately for 'our rock at the back' his plight at the top was that block on the line.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else have someone on their Facebook you keep to basically make yourself feel better about yourself as a person?

There's a Celtic fan who's a bit of a gimp who comments on everything discussing how Celtic are the best team in the world and the English premier league is shit. I don't think he understands irony or hypocrisy either because he basically contradicts himself every few days. It's glorious.

Also, that coquelin fall is incredible. RIP.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    I hate it when players you've seen at the top basically slum it when they're clearly cooked. Edgar Davids struggling at Barnet and Roy Keane looking limp at Celtic was quite harrowing to see.

Unfortunately for 'our rock at the back' his plight at the top was that block on the line.
    Ian bloody Rush.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

WARNING: Massive image

Clickable link: https://i.imgur.com/4XAxP5f.jpg

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Mourinho not shaking Mark Hughes' hand. Mark will be absolutely raging.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...-draw-at-stoke

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Clatters has read a part of the rules no one else has where it matters what a player's eyes are doing.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watching the highlights of the City game and Neville had an absolute shocker. He's kicked him in the face for fuck's sake.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do other countries go on with as much faux outrage about fucking handshakes?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So predictable. He's such a baby.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So predictable. He's such a baby.
    Hughes or Mourinho, or both? Mourinho being annoyed by defensive tactics is hilarious.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Hughes or Mourinho, or both? Mourinho being annoyed by defensive tactics is hilarious.
    Hughes. He's absolutely obsessed with handshakes.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Just watching the highlights of the City game and Neville had an absolute shocker. He's kicked him in the face for fuck's sake.
    Not just Neville, lots of pundits seemed to be doing the same thing. "His eyes were on the ball!" Who cares?

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None more so than Henry's "he was reaching for the yellow first!" bullshit.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I say I've thoroughly enjoyed all the 'Liverpool losing 5-0 should be put into context' pieces whereas us losing 4-0 to them was a sign that we'd be in League 2 by 2020.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    24,500 at the Hearts/Aberdeen game is some effort for a league game.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I say I've thoroughly enjoyed all the 'Liverpool losing 5-0 should be put into context' pieces whereas us losing 4-0 to them was a sign that we'd be in League 2 by 2020.
    As was to be expected, their defence just got massively exposed once they came up against a competent attack. It's so, so risky and against a good team that translates to just straight up comedy.

People were praising that pass by De Bruyne for the first goal, but the defending was awful.

I reckon they'll get another few bummings this season whilst looking very good most of the time.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perisic

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not seen the Mané thing, but it sounds to me a lot like that one where Nani got shafted against Madrid (albeit perhaps worse due to head involvement) for doing Di Maria whilst not really looking at him. It's understandable to give it, and I've heard differing opinions from non-partisan sources in real life and in the punditry world. Sounds like it fucked what was potentially a good game. I would say that I don't think "kicking someone in the head" is necessarily always a red card offence (I give you the infamous Lambert/Albertz old firm penalty incident in that game for the ages), and that, in the alternative, the 'dangerousness' (or seriousness) of something shouldn't be judged on consequences (ie if there is contact) seeing as that had been largely done away with in the other dangerous play areas - so a foot raised near a head shoud always be a red if it is apparently dangerous to do so (which would be a bullshit rule - for example should Bellerin have been sent off for raising his foot near Salah's head a few weeks ago? Obviously not).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got called retarded for making that sort of argument at the time. You either have to say something is always dangerous and thus always a red, or it's not and never is. It shouldn't depend whether you get unlucky and someone happens to be in the way.

Having said that, I think the difference between yesterday and the Nani one is that (from what I remember) Nani really couldn't have known there was someone he was going to hit, whereas Mane would have to be completely and utterly blind not to have seen Ederson was there. Makes what Mane did a lot more irresponsible in my mind. As in, you can't always account for the fact someone might be near you but you don't know whilst you should account for someone who is in your direct eye line. I understand that's a difficult thing to police though.

I don't think I've explained what I mean very well but oh well.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nani's one was a bit different because the ball was coming over Nani and toward whoever it was he booted in the chest while Mane was chasing a ball and had both it and the goalie in front of him. Mane's was a red. Not that he should be looking at increased suspensions or anything because he was clearly just after the ball but ultimately he's still kicked somebody in the head and can't have been far away from his eyes.

I didn't think Nani's was a red at the time but obviously I'm not impartial. If a high boot is automatically a red card for dangerous play then so be it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He didn't get sent off for a high boot. He got sent for kicking the keeper in the face with a late, high boot. If there was nobody there then obviously it wouldn't have been dangerous, but, since there was, it was.

I really don't get all the wailing.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do intentions really matter when that happens? As Ian said it's not that should get a further suspension or anything, but if that's not a red card then not many are.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Migraine View Post
    As was to be expected, their defence just got massively exposed once they came up against a competent attack. It's so, so risky and against a good team that translates to just straight up comedy.

People were praising that pass by De Bruyne for the first goal, but the defending was awful.

I reckon they'll get another few bummings this season whilst looking very good most of the time.
    Klopp's being managing us for two seasons now and that's the first and only bumming we've received so far. In fact generally we've been better against the big teams with their 'competent attacks'. Your comments seem based solely on yesterday's match, which we played the majority of with 10 men.

Not disagreeing that we're poor defensively, but it generally hasn't been an issue for us so far against the better teams. It has cost us hugely against lesser teams, though.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I've not seen the Mané thing, but it sounds to me a lot like that one where Nani got shafted against Madrid (albeit perhaps worse due to head involvement) for doing Di Maria whilst not really looking at him. It's understandable to give it, and I've heard differing opinions from non-partisan sources in real life and in the punditry world. Sounds like it fucked what was potentially a good game. I would say that I don't think "kicking someone in the head" is necessarily always a red card offence (I give you the infamous Lambert/Albertz old firm penalty incident in that game for the ages), and that, in the alternative, the 'dangerousness' (or seriousness) of something shouldn't be judged on consequences (ie if there is contact) seeing as that had been largely done away with in the other dangerous play areas - so a foot raised near a head shoud always be a red if it is apparently dangerous to do so (which would be a bullshit rule - for example should Bellerin have been sent off for raising his foot near Salah's head a few weeks ago? Obviously not).
    Fucked a potentially good game? One player down doesn't mean you should be losing by 5 goals. The defending would most likely have been atrocious even if Mane stayed on the pitch.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Your comments seem based solely on yesterday's match, which we played the majority of with 10 men.
    Well I made a post a few weeks ago predicting that something like this was going to happen, so it's not.

Edit: one you responded to in fact.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Fucked a potentially good game? One player down doesn't mean you should be losing by 5 goals. The defending would most likely have been atrocious even if Mane stayed on the pitch.
    By all reports it was fairly even up until the red card.

lol it woz 1-0 mate! I don't call that even etc.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By all reports it was fairly even up until the red card.

lol it woz 1-0 mate! I don't call that even etc.
    So they only forgot how to defend and shipped another four solely because Mane was sent off?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they can't defend, so going down to 10 whilst behind is a bit of a serious issue, but I suppose the argument would run that with Mané (or 11 players) they might have been able to attack and City wouldn't been as at liberty to completely dominate the game. Getting fisted isn't ideal, but it's still only a loss. As for 'competent attacks' finding Liverpool out, I doubt that (if anything they are much more susceptible to not being attacked and set pieced to death), although put any top 4/5 team in City's position yesterday (1-0 up with opponent down to 10) and most will piss it to some extent. Of the various title contenders taking a big loss to City is by far the most preferable option, if you have to take one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With hindsight, it's probably a red in the context of current directives. I'd be surprised, however, if there wasn't a number of similar instances where a red card wasn't produced over the course of the season. There was certainly no intent (that you can see from the video), so presumably you wouldn't be looking at any extended ban.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had 11 men on the pitch for the whole game.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...and-misconduct

Quote Originally Posted by The FA
    SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.
    Mane was correctly sent off for endangering an opponent. Unless kicking someone in the face is not endangering an opponent.

The Nani red card was correct, too.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, even before Mane was sent off yesterday, I thought City seemed like they had sussed how to play against Liverpool. Which is the thing that worries me most about them. There doesn't seem to be much of a plan B.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post

The Nani red card was correct, too.
    That decision was total bullshit, imo.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Renato Sanches has had about three visible strops at a team mate not passing to him/making an awful decision with the ball. Some of them are definitely on a light dose of ketamine.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sky really dropped the ball losing champions league rights. Every other "super sunday" is going to be piss because all the good teams play on Friday nights now.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Number 2 shirt for Bony

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bony wearing number 2 is wholly unacceptable.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    You had 11 men on the pitch for the whole game.
    I spotted about 5 in that game but having reflected on it longer, having a striker sent off does explain conceding 4 in 45 minutes you're right.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Six points clear of the drop, lads. Stoke at home sounds alright, providing Ritchie doesn't get a respective ban or some bullshit.