User Tag List

Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boxing Thread

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some moron's on Twitter claiming that McGregor "almost won" in the first few rounds Mayweather was just measuring him up - one uppercut aside, he was in complete control.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McGregor won the early rounds, but you'd say that was based on activity. Mayweather knew what he was doing.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Mayweather didn't want, or need to, win the first few rounds.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile, Matthew Macklin's suit is nice.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Mayweather wanted Conor to punch himself out a bit in those first few. Plus he wanted to get a full view of what Conor had, within the rules, and without so much pressure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was definitely an element of seeing exactly what McGregor would do, given he couldn't study any footage etc.

He was in complete control the whole fight.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get in the Octagon, Floyd, Son

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming up next month....

Frank Bruno v Chris Boardman in a horse race around Silverstone

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankie Dettori on Big Frank?

Sounds like this was a classic. Glad I chose sleep.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, I went to bed at 8:30 because I was tired. I woke up naturally at 4 but couldn't be bothered. Given what I've heard I probably won't even watch a replay.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baby had me up at 5:30 so I caught the arse end of it. As expected by the look of it. Mayweather let him knacker himself out then picked him off.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody on Facebook has said McGreggor "shocked the boxing world" in the first few rounds.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love how everyone says 'remember he lasted 10 rounds Mayweather wouldn't last 5 minutes in the octagon!'.

He never claimed he would, so utterly irrelevant. He got his arrogant arse handed to him but it's fine because money.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wrong.

I didnt think floyd had the balls to walk conor down and try and finish him. I thought he would have stayed away and out-boxed him, Conor's power didnt real work at all. Also, his energy fell off real quick. Considering he is 29 and in physical prime condition, is a real concern. Its like when your on fight night and you have no energy left and your in drunk mode. Conor didnt really have an answer once floyd put on his headphones and just put his head inside conor's chest .That was a surprise also. It was interesting though. Conor had his moments, landed a nice uppercut early on but after that, his punches were of no concern to floyd. I would have thought in the clinch, conor would have been much stronger and would have had a massive advantage, but he didnt. Maybe could have had a point deducted for the constant rabbit punches, but floyd style gives up his back often so that was always going to happen

Floyd didnt respect his fighting ability after that. He just walked him down and took control after round 3. Disappointed didnt really plant his feet and move forward more often and put it on floyd. His slaps in his punching technique similar on how calzache did.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regards to the stoppage, you have to throw punches back. If you don't, you are asking to get stopped. You cant be drunk bouncing around and not expected the referee to stop the fight.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    In regards to the stoppage, you have to throw punches back. If you don't, you are asking to get stopped. You cant be drunk bouncing around and not expected the referee to stop the fight.
    Exactly. That's how brain damage occurs.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the little MMA ive saw. Its different. You can be drunk and not thrown punches back, and the take way more punishment before fights are stopped. Then it all changed and was downhill from there. It was his energy that was his downfall. Referee had to save him again.

It was a good though. I dont feel as if it was a waste of time. It was decent entertainment.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so much these days. It used to be that you'd have to pound a non-responsive face several times before the ref would step in but it's a lot more like boxing now. If they land a flurry or punches with no guard / response the ref ends it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an experiment that lasted as long as Mayweather wanted it to. It won't open the floodgates to more crossovers.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    It was an experiment that lasted as long as Mayweather wanted it to. It won't open the floodgates to more crossovers.
    I agree. The stars aligned for the biggest name in each sport who happened to be close to the same weight. I dont think it will happen again, even though it is profitable for everyone involved.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but Messi wouldn't last five minutes on a rugby field!

Yeah but Dame Judi Dench wouldn't last five minutes at the Battle of Ypres!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole MMA thing is a non-starter.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It peaked with Don Frye.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best analogy i heard was jessica ennis who does the heptalthon going up against the best person ever in long jump.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Yeah, I'd like to see Surtees try that on 4 wheels!"

Oh wait...

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It more or less went exactly the way everyone expected it to.

Fair play to McGregor for making it happen though. Dragging one of the all time greats out of retirement and into the ring, through the sheer force of being a loud, proud, mental Irish wide boy. Legend.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gs paying for this shit.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they flipped roles (Mayweather MMA debut), they couldn't pull this type of money in.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they flipped roles (Mayweather MMA debut), they couldn't pull this type of money in.
    Ive been trying to make this point to everyone ive spoke too. Its difficult to see floyds lasting longer than 20 seconds in mma. Conor would just kick him and take him down. People are not going to buy into it at all.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been trying to make this point to everyone ive spoke too. Its difficult to see floyds lasting longer than 20 seconds in mma. Conor would just kick him and take him down. People are not going to buy into it at all.
    Which is pretty much true:

Money fight from start to finish and now the pikey can go off shouting absolute bollocks at the next cunt.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I'm talking about the literal payout potential. Even with a big build, an MMA fight won't fill seats or get the buys a big money fight in boxing can grant you. Boxing has prestige. MMA is still a scrappy underdog.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need the characters and the freedom to do the hyper fights. Given how conor has made his payday, im sure when he goes back to mma. They will have to change things up for him and all other ufc fighters.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I'm talking about the literal payout potential. Even with a big build, an MMA fight won't fill seats or get the buys a big money fight in boxing can grant you. Boxing has prestige. MMA is still a scrappy underdog.
    McGregor sells the stadium out whenever he main events in MMA. There were hundreds of empty seats yesterday.

McGregor is probably the biggest draw in either of the sports after Mayweather.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    McGregor sells the stadium out whenever he main events in MMA. There were hundreds of empty seats yesterday.

McGregor is probably the biggest draw in either of the sports after Mayweather.
    He needs to be compensated with purse guarantees like he is the second (now first since floyd is gone) in combat sports.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hundreds? More like thousands of empty seats.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Hundreds? More like thousands of empty seats.
    I thought that but played it safe as couldn't be arsed checking.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    The whole MMA thing is a non-starter.
    What?

In terms of PPV buys McGregor isn't as far off the big boxing numbers as you'd think for a UFC event. The Mayweather v Pacquiao fight did about three and a half million, which will remain the record until official numbers come out for last night. McGregor's biggest buy rate is about one and three quarter million. Without checking it that feels like it'd be in the top ten for combat sports PPV buys, and his numbers are only going to rocket after that spectacle last night.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a couple of people have said, I was surprised by how quickly McGregor got tired. It's a different sport, but he is still meant to be supremely fit by almost any standard. Mayweather probably didn't even get showered after it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He went after about 25 minutes, which, unsurprisingly, is around the time he's conditioned for in MMA. There's a reason boxers start off doing 6 or 8 round fights.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    I thought that but played it safe as couldn't be arsed checking.
    Around 6000 empty seats according to the radio.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    As a couple of people have said, I was surprised by how quickly McGregor got tired. It's a different sport, but he is still meant to be supremely fit by almost any standard. Mayweather probably didn't even get showered after it.
    He always tires quickly because he carries a lot of muscle for his weight. The same thing always happens to him in UFC, if he can't blow his opponent out quickly the fight turns into a pure grind.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He went after about 25 minutes, which, unsurprisingly, is around the time he's conditioned for in MMA. There's a reason boxers start off doing 6 or 8 round fights.
    He looked shattered from about halfway through round four on. Whatever he did in his weight cut to carry some size into fight night fucked his stamina in a big way. He's never had great endurance, but his tank seemed to run dry last night much more quickly than it usually does.

His tank ran out after four, but he started looking a bit lethargic in the second round. That's abysmal.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    What?

In terms of PPV buys McGregor isn't as far off the big boxing numbers as you'd think for a UFC event. The Mayweather v Pacquiao fight did about three and a half million, which will remain the record until official numbers come out for last night. McGregor's biggest buy rate is about one and three quarter million. Without checking it that feels like it'd be in the top ten for combat sports PPV buys, and his numbers are only going to rocket after that spectacle last night.
    His ppv average is great. It may be better than floyds and pacmans. The shelf life of the ufc guys does not seem to be that long compared to boxers. The reign at the top appears to be much shorter. All the fighters i can name from the ufc have either stopped fighting or gone shit. I guess thats because they use so many weapons in mma. Can he fight anyone and do 1 million ppv buys?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His ppv average is great. It may be better than floyds and. The shelf life of the ufc guys does not seem to be that long compared to boxers. The reign at the top appears to be much shorter. All the fighters i cane name from the ufc have either stopped fighting or gone shit. I guess thats because they use so many weapons in mma
    A few UFC guys have had the sort of lengthy reigns that top level boxers tend to have, but they're pretty scarce. Anderson Silva is the first name that comes to mind as a UFC guy who had a proper reign as champion. Look up his highlights, his fights against Chris Leben, James Irvine, Forrest Griffin, and Vitor Belfort in particular, to see what real high level MMA looks like.

Reigns are rare because there are so many ways to win a fight that you can't be fully prepared to defend all of them. It's the same reason a loss isn't the same disaster for an ascendant fighter that it is in boxing.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His ppv average is great. It may be better than floyds and pacmans. The shelf life of the ufc guys does not seem to be that long compared to boxers. The reign at the top appears to be much shorter. All the fighters i can name from the ufc have either stopped fighting or gone shit. I guess thats because they use so many weapons in mma. Can he fight anyone and do 1 million ppv buys?
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...w-fighter-ever

Yeah, 1m is nothing.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Must've been those heavy 8oz gloves.

There's a reason boxers start off doing 6 or 8 round fights.
    More like three two-minute rounds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Gs paying for this shit.
    It was only twenty quid, which wasn't extortionate. I don't feel particularly mugged off either - it was interesting to see, even if it went as you'd expect.

What?
    As in people offering, in mitigation for McGregor losing, the view that Mayweather wouldn't last twenty seconds with McGregor under MMA rules. Obviously he wouldn't, but it's not an argument worth having.

He looked shattered from about halfway through round four on. Whatever he did in his weight cut to carry some size into fight night fucked his stamina in a big way. He's never had great endurance, but his tank seemed to run dry last night much more quickly than it usually does.

His tank ran out after four, but he started looking a bit lethargic in the second round. That's abysmal.
    It was pretty poor. By any objective standard, McGregor should be 'ultra-fit' and he was struggling after about 12 or 15 minutes of effort. I don't know enough about it to know whether that's down to crap conditioning, crap training, or whatever. Either way, he should have went hell for leather in the first two or three rounds and just conceded the point after it. Very easy to say with hindsight, I suppose.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's two different kinds of fitness, really. Boxing's always struck me as an act of endurance. Not only that but the hits come harder and more frequently aimed at the head. That takes years to build. Granted, McGregor had a taste of it in his youth but it can't compare.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He always tires quickly because he carries a lot of muscle for his weight. The same thing always happens to him in UFC, if he can't blow his opponent out quickly the fight turns into a pure grind.

I thought it might be this. UFC fights being shorter doesn't really seem to work when they can/do feature grappling, which is liable to take more out of you than stand-up fighting.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd have thought the least he could do, seeing as becoming a world class boxer in three months was entirely out the question, would have been to get fit as a fiddle so he could at least last the duration should he need to.

Or, you know, parade around in fancy clothes and run his mouth to garner interest. Tough one, really.
    I'm a twit