User Tag List

Page 148 of 238 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198 ... LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,400 of 11851

Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do they keep crashing these things?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same happened last month near Japan, and some 7 sailors died.

"The collision was avoidable and both ships demonstrated poor seamanship. Within Fitzgerald, flawed watch stander teamwork and inadequate leadership contributed to the collision," the U.S. Seventh Fleet said in a media release.

In the first detailed account from one of those directly involved in the collision in the early hours of June 17, the captain of the cargo ship the ACX Crystal said in a report seen by Reuters his crew signaled the Fitzgerald with flashing lights around 10 minutes before the collision. The Fitzgerald did not respond or alter course, it said..
    The commercial vessel had the right-of-way under maritime rules and the Fitzgerald, which was hit on the starboard side, was likely at fault.
    Billions of dollars worth of ships... silly people in charge of them.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    How do they keep crashing these things?
    This is the area in which they crashed

It's a large amount of very large ships with a slow turning radius. (And as John Arne notes above, human error will always exist)

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't expect human error on military ships though, least of all the American navy, least of all some basic seamanship rules.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've been to Singapore and seen all the boats, and watched those tv programmes about the English Channel and how collisions are basically set in stone miles away if their little line paths cross, but still, you think they'd be able not to stack their absurdly expensive bits of military equipment into other planet sized objects, at least not often anyway.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Yeah, I've been to Singapore and seen all the boats, and watched those tv programmes about the English Channel and how collisions are basically set in stone miles away if their little line paths cross, but still, you think they'd be able not to stack their absurdly expensive bits of military equipment into other planet sized objects, at least not often anyway.
    From what I've been reading from @AdamWeinstein who seems to be plugged into this. There are so many readings that you get constant false flags and it's a matter of determining which are the false flags and hoping you get it right. The problem being all these army people speak in acronyms so I barely understand a thing:

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re the first incident

In the first detailed account from one of those directly involved, the cargo ship's captain said the ACX Crystal had signaled with flashing lights after the Fitzgerald "suddenly" steamed on to a course to cross its path.
    Doesn't bode well for the BEST MILITARY IN THE WORLD.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure I've told the story about my mate retiring from the UK military due to injury after a tour in Iraq. They were de-mining a field, Americans rock-up saying they have to get across the field, UK tell them they have to go a couple of KM up where they've already cleared it. The Americans said they had no time and drove across the field, barely got anywhere before hitting a landmine, they all died and the door of the Humvee they were driving blew off and hit him in the back and KO'd him. He woke up in a military hospital and basically handed his notice in there and then.

They're idiots.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Trump says "they say it was a beautiful speech I gave last night" (he just said it again in Arizona).... have we worked out who "they" are yet?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell... he's still going on about his campaign wins.... "we won Arizona... won it by a lot... great victory".
    Now he's just moaning about Clinton and Obama.... does he realise that the election is over? This is seriously embarrassing... @Mert - are you watching this disaster - thoughts?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to post this yesterday but they've since deleted the tweet. Luckily, I found a screencap.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you're definitely not a racist and just happen to refer to MLK as Martin Luther Coon...

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could've saved that by calling him Coont.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol coon. Couple years ago some guy in my frat saw raccoons in front of our house and messaged "coons spotted in front of the house, watch out!" to our Groupme. Had no idea it was a perjorative. Pretty fuckin hilarious at the time because this guy sucked, but I bet we'd have to go through hearings if that ever got out.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's so telling that Trump hasn't gotten over his election win yet, and keeps running campaign-style rallies because it's the only part of the job he enjoys.

I wonder if history will attempt to frame him as anything other than an abject embarrassment, or whether authors in fifty or a hundred years will just state the obvious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He won because he won the rust belt by telling them what they wanted to hear, so presumably they'll frame his election itself as a reaction to the consequences of globalisation etc. etc. Obviously in terms of assessing his actual presidency, there's not much material you can work with to make it look anything other than the abject embarrassment, as you say, it actually is.

He's pardoned Joe Arpaio now too, so the civil rights groups have gone MENTAL.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rightly so, by the sounds of things.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Arpaio thing is nuts. The mans a psychopath.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently accepting the pardon is seen as an implicit admission of guilt, so it'll harm him in a big way if any one of the thousands upon thousands of people he's fucked over brings a civil suit against him. He seems like a proper cunt.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was pardoned for contempt of court not the actual things he did so there won't be any civil repercussions.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The contempt of court charge was for 'actual things he did', namely continuing to profile Latinos long after he'd been ordered to stop.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-claude-taylor

And that is just the more obviously mental ones.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised the The Guardian has ran the story given that they run half of these completely obvious made up stories.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's the glorious thing about the news nowadays. You can basically print/say whatever you want. If you get called out on it, 87% of the people who read the first story never even notice or consider the retraction later.

You're still influencing the public and you somehow never lose credibility. It's glorious.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies in small print on the bottom corner of page 18 really aren't on.

That said, the print media has never been less relevant than it is now, be that physically or online.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An apology should appear wherever the original story did. If it was front page so be it, your headline for that day is 'Sorry, we fucked up.'

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've lived in Maricopa Country for the last nine years. Arpiao is so horrendous that while McCain won by 18 and Trump by 3, Arpiao lost by 10. If he had been subject to what poorer citizens here faced? He would have spent his pre-trial time in a 127 degree tent prison wearing pink underwear while spending the day as free chain gang labour. We spent hundreds of millions in court settlements as a country in wasted tax dollars. It is nauseating to watch conservatives who spent decades kissing the ring because he was a minor celebrity now uniformly tut-tut about his racism. It was dismissed for years as identity politics.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are going to be more munitions dropped in D campaign ads in what would normally be considered no hope red districts than in Dresden. It is getting hilarious:

Staten Island
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bHYaOlTbsww

Kentucky
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CcjG2fK7kNk

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    An apology should appear wherever the original story did. If it was front page so be it, your headline for that day is 'Sorry, we fucked up.'
    I like that idea a lot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've long thought the same. You should also be required to 'black out' the entire area in which you put the original spread. So if you have a seven page spread, all seven pages are blacked out completely as a consequence with "RETRACTION" (or equivalent) being emblazoned across it with an explanation of what your fuck up was.

It'll never happen, obviously.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. If only a full review of press standards had been recently carried out.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know nobody is suggesting this but the idea that the Guardian is influencing US public opinion is fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Guardian are basically a parody of themselves nowadays. On one hand it's a shame, but on the other hand they're mentalists so fuck them.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's too much click bait nonsense on there now. Obviously because they make no money so have to find advertising revenue through stupid exaggerate pieces.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    I've long thought the same. You should also be required to 'black out' the entire area in which you put the original spread. So if you have a seven page spread, all seven pages are blacked out completely as a consequence with "RETRACTION" (or equivalent) being emblazoned across it with an explanation of what your fuck up was.

It'll never happen, obviously.
    Freedom of the press, mate.

(I massively agree, it was actually part of Leveson (Leveson 2 specifically IIRC) but that idea and many more got dismantled when we gave IPSO/Paul Dacre control of it instead.)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how direct the Finnish President is

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tillerson both saying that the President's values do not reflect that of America, and Mattis issuing a contrary directive while criticising the President.

It's one thing to step down when you don't agree with the man on top, but it seems like some fairly powerful people are sticking to their posts and speaking their minds. This remains an absolute shambles.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never knowingly seen Tillerson, but his voice often comes on the radio news when I'm driving so I imagine him as JR Ewing.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump saying 'what a crowd, what a turnout' to a load of hurricane evacuees has to be his least appropriate crowd size boast thus far. If Hugh Abbott had done that you'd have dismissed it as shoddy writing.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought he was talking to people who volunteered to help

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when people lost their shit over Obama wearing a tan suit? Simpler times.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody on about this tan suit the past few days. What newsletter do you guys subscribe to?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Simpler Times. It says right there.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *subscribed*

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tan suit thing has popped up because it was three years ago yesterday.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like he was talking to gathered volunteers, although some of them will no doubt have been survivors themselves, so that's another strike against Vice.

This transcript seems to be legit though, and it's just rambling horseshit. He is genuinely incapable of putting together a cogent sentence on the fly.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know. His GREAT JOB bullshit is probably better suited to this sort of thing than some stiff turning up with a script going on about communities.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember who first raised it in the thread (Merse, was it?), but I'm firmly on the he has Alzheimer's train now.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure they are.