User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will George Martin die before he gets another book out?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 27.27%
  • No

4 18.18%
  • He's already dead

1 4.55%
  • I don't care

4 18.18%
  • Magic's dad told me books are for queers

4 18.18%
  • Dunno, I'm just watching for the tits

1 4.55%
  • Turtle/dragon

2 9.09%
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Series 6: sponsored by Clarke Excitement Vacuum vs. Dinklage

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    This series makes you wonder what they had been playing at with the previous series' pacing. Also lol at Gilly potentially ending the world.
    Adhering to the pacing of the books I would think.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they did that, then Season 6 would just have been a single take of Daenerys yawning for ten hours.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or of whatever plot outline he gave them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you fuck off John you boring, boring wankface cuntchops.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That girl hanging around with Sam just casually revealing that Jon Snow probably has a better claim to the throne than Dany was fucking annoying.

Alright episode but nothing great. Jaime just casually being back in King's landing was fucking stupid.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She wasn't revealing anything we didn't already know, that scene was just there for the momentary tension provided by the prospect of Sam finding out and letting Jon know he's a Targaryen, and possibly as a little refresher for Jon being mates with the dragon.

What they could have been doing with a refresher for is that scroll Littlefinger brought out of storage. It was the one Cersei had Sansa write back in season two or something.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She revealed that Jon wasn't a bastard, which is big news. We didn't know prior to that scene.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that was implied heavily enough by the Tower of Joy scenes to not need revealing, but I suppose it's never been explicitly stated before. It wasn't explicitly stated there either, by the way, since the name of his new bride wasn't mentioned.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have missed something, but I didn't get any sort of implication that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married before that scene. Just that Jon was their son.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best swordsman in the world stationed outside strongly suggested she was more than a sidepiece.

There's definitely been a scene in the past with someone talking about how the story Robert swore by of Rhaegar kidnapping Lyanna wasn't true too. Might have been Varys or Littlefinger and I'm sure the notion that they were married was floated in that scene.

It could have been back in season one, so it was long before there was any hint that Ned had been bullshitting about Jon's parentage so it didn't have the same reach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct. The accepted history is that Lyanna Stark was abducted and raped (and killed) by Rhaegar Targaryen. What has been revealed so far in the show is that Jon is her son, but there's never been any confirmation that Rhaegar is the father. He obviously is, given the Tower of Joy was being defended by the Kingsguard (Arthur Dayne, specifically). Lyanna also asks Ned to protect Jon because "Robert will kill him", so again that heavily implies it given he made it his life's mission to kill all Targaryens in retribution for what he believes they did to Lyanna.

The only person (alive) who knows that Jon isn't Ned's son is Bran. Possibly Howland Reed, but he hasn't appeared in the present yet. Even if Sam knew that Rhaegar Targaryen had annulled his marriage to Elia and married Lyanna, it doesn't mean anything to him. He doesn't know that Jon is really Lyanna's son, or that there's even a child involved.

It obviously hints heavily to the viewer that Jon is not only Rhaegar's son, he's legitimate and therefore the rightful King of the Seven Kingdoms.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you do cosplay as well?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read the books.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a decent enough episode, although we are surely now at the point where every episode races forward at a million miles an hour.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's been nothing so far to justify the reduced episode count, so the next two weeks will presumably be wall to wall CGI spectacle.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pace is almost too fast now. Davos has done about five thousand miles in that episode, most of it impersonating Sean Connery in The Untouchables.

I did lol at O'Finger donning little bitch Arya.

Dickon Tarly was the reddest, shirtiest redshirt in the history of the moving picture.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a fucking mystery. Why introduce a new character like that at this stage of the story if he's going to have absolutely no impact. He saved Jamie from a swording, great, but would that scene have been any different if an extra had been the one to knife that Dothraki bloke?

It's like they're so used to having eleventy thousand characters that they can't cope with the relatively lean cast they have now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    He's a fucking mystery. Why introduce a new character like that at this stage of the story if he's going to have absolutely no impact. He saved Jamie from a swording, great, but would that scene have been any different if an extra had been the one to knife that Dothraki bloke?

It's like they're so used to having eleventy thousand characters that they can't cope with the relatively lean cast they have now.
    I think his purpose was to be mildly likeable to the audience so him getting burned raises doubts about Daenerys or sth.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm just reading more into this stuff than most, but I thought they had that well covered with Tyrion looking shit scared of the power he'd just unleashed on his homeland and the five minutes of conversation he had with Varys about Daenerys possibly being a bit mad.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking Jon Snow and his Westerosi version of the Expendables off on a little jaunt out beyond the wall.

I feel like the Northern lords doing a complete 180, from believing in Jon so much that they ignored all accepted custom and proclaimed a bastard King in the North to completely losing all faith in him because he's gone down south for a bit, all in the space of about a month, is ridiculous as well. It just strikes me as a lazily written plot to give Littlefinger (who really needs to be dead before the season is out) some sort of continued relevance.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Varys doesn't sound totally convinced either.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah alright. Bit boring. Don't get the point of Gendry at all, but I suppose there must be some.

A bit like in the books when:
    Toggle Spoiler

Anyway, I reckon the reason the pacing feels so off is that it's so uneven. You'll have a slow, sort of pointless long exchange with the Maesters, then all of a sudden jump to the wall and The Hound shows up at Eastwatch out of nowhere and etc etc.

I was thinking, essentially all the cool "fighting" characters that remain now, save for Bronn (ok maybe big and little lady as well), all went together there beyond the wall then. Bit of an all star team really.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't expecting the potential armistice to be somewhere they'd go.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd forgotten about Tormund asking about 'the big woman' and looking a bit put out when she wasn't there. That actor is a genius.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shearer The 2nd View Post
    Wasn't expecting the potential armistice to be somewhere they'd go.
    Me neither actually. I definitely thought "burn Cersei alive, then sort the army of the dead out" was going to be the only route they would go down.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm just reading more into this stuff than most, but I thought they had that well covered with Tyrion looking shit scared of the power he'd just unleashed on his homeland and the five minutes of conversation he had with Varys about Daenerys possibly being a bit mad.
    Yeah agreed, it was already crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Fucking Jon Snow and his Westerosi version of the Expendables off on a little jaunt out beyond the wall.

I feel like the Northern lords doing a complete 180, from believing in Jon so much that they ignored all accepted custom and proclaimed a bastard King in the North to completely losing all faith in him because he's gone down south for a bit, all in the space of about a month, is ridiculous as well. It just strikes me as a lazily written plot to give Littlefinger (who really needs to be dead before the season is out) some sort of continued relevance.
    Also agreed, feels fucking stupid. It feels like they can't ever decide if they want Glover et al to be "hard fuckers from the north" who only respect strength or poncey pompous twats who suddenly get precious about anything.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    Also agreed, feels fucking stupid. It feels like they can't ever decide if they want Glover et al to be "hard fuckers from the north" who only respect strength or poncey pompous twats who suddenly get precious about anything.
    Exactly. "The North Remembers", but apparently not more than a few weeks back when they pledged undying allegiance to the bloke.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wasn't really introduced, as such. He's been an off-screen character for some time, and he turned up last series when Sam returned to Horn Hill. His death covers the above, but it's also killed off the only male heir to House Tarly other than Sam - I suspect that will have something to do with it.

My assumption is that we'll see it's Littlefinger agitating behind the scenes to undermine Jon. He benefits from Sansa as Lady of Winterfell, and reliant on the Knights of the Vale (which he controls). Presumably the thought would go that he could marry her so she can consolidate her position, and he thus controls the North and the Vale.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It felt that her burning the young 'un made it even worse in Tyrion's mind. You could also argue that it's to show that Sam is now the only male Tarly around? It's all a bit pointless but I'd argue it's just there to add a bit extra flavour from a filmmaking perspective or someshit like that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    My assumption is that we'll see it's Littlefinger agitating behind the scenes to undermine Jon. He benefits from Sansa as Lady of Winterfell, and reliant on the Knights of the Vale (which he controls). Presumably the thought would go that he could marry her so she can consolidate her position, and he thus controls the North and the Vale.
    I agree that that's exactly what will happen (although I don't think he'll ultimately have any success), I just can't really be arsed with it at this late point in the game. The whole "King in the North 2.0" scene at the end of the last season felt like a quite definitive end to all the faffing about over who controls the north. That made me happy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that that's exactly what will happen (although I don't think he'll ultimately have any success), I just can't really be arsed with it at this late point in the game. The whole "King in the North 2.0" scene at the end of the last season felt like a quite definitive end to all the faffing about over who controls the north. That made me happy.
    I don't disagree. The King in the North scene last season was just great.

My suspicion is that:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems a little too likeable an outcome though, GS.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want O'Finger and Varys to survive and unite to don all the dull twats at the end.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anybody ever going to just say to Dragonwoman "No, love, you're fucking a fucking dreadful tyrant as well you awful bitch"? I've gone from just being bored by Clarke to actively hating the character now as well. I really, really, really hope (against hope) she dies.

Also I get, to an extent, why they're doing it but the state of everybody suddenly teleporting about Westeros when it it was previously a three episode job to have somebody walk to the wardrobe to fetch their pants is just lol.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would watch the Fantasy & Furious series based around Tormund and Big Woman in the role of Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez, for sure.

Tyrion = Ludacris
    Bronn = Tyrese
    Gendry = Han

P.S. That whole Gendry is the lost son of Robert Baratheon storyline just got dropped in there a bit quick, no?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The line from Samwells missus said it all for me. Fuck Sansa's Queen of the North routine serving Littlefingers narrative - it feeds Jon's.

Combo of Brann x Gilly making it clear Jon is true king of the Seven Kingdoms and more Targaeryan than Stark. Sansa's endgame is as Queen of the North, Jon as king, Dany... Er... Ho... Hum........ Something... Maybe not.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's only one thing all the hints are leading towards and that's that Snow's sausage is going to be entering the dragon's cave any time now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that annoys me is that Varys never put the pieces together regarding Jon's parentage.

Rhaegar took enough care to get his marriage annulled, and it was recorded somewhere in writing. Everyone knew Rhaegar was in love with Lyanna. The honourable Ned Stark - who would never cheat on his wife - comes home with a bastard child. It's not exactly the Times Cryptic.

I can understand nobody else putting it together, but Varys is supposed to know when things are going on.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he does know and thought it would just cause aggro, which it would have done. His I SERVE THE REALM speech would feed into that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm absolutely certain there was a scene in the early going in which someone cast doubt on the accepted story of Rhaegar and Lyanna, so I reckon he does know at least part of the real story.

Having thought about it, the most damning evidence for Daenerys being a headcase in that episode was the scene where she tells Jon the dragons are her children. Think about all the people you know who call themselves 'mummy' to their pets, and I bet you wouldn't want any one of them within a hundred miles of power.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R+L=J is the weakest bit of the plot. It's been blatantly obvious from about episode 2, when Sean Bean and King Tesco were chatting about it over breakfast.

The only interesting question it raises is whether GRRM and co will decide incest between two main characters is A Good Thing. Cersei and Jaime are at least kind of villains.

The 'Lord of Light' is currently looking to be the best disguised deus ex machina of all time.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davos is owning this season.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next episode has leaked. Let's not discuss in here until after the official air date, though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it on BtN?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet but staff should allow it.

They don't let hacks on (draws too much attention onto a closed site) but this was aired early on HBO Spain and Nordic.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've told the wife I'll wait for her to get home before I watch it

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently it's a fucking cracker of an episode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seen that it had leaked and couldn't help myself. Can confirm it was brilliant episode.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone help me with a source?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite an episode.